Jul

Night Owls: Now That’s Talent!

These are just a sliver of the performances I’ve seen on awards shows that made my jaw drop and say to myself: “WOW! THAT’S TALENT!” What are some of yours?

This performance was all the more stunning because she was still tweaking it the day and night of the event yet she pulled it off flawlessly. She had me clapping and saying yes, women do indeed “Run The World.”

This performance left me breathless. Singing live without sounding out of breath and the acrobatics. That’s brave. An amazing fact? She had a shoulder problem and still nailed every single part. A+!

*****

Looooved this performance. Mary J. Blige poured her heart out and left everything on the stage. She was going through a turbulent time; drugs, domestic abuse, so called “friends” who were only in her life for her fame and success. Whoever said music has no power, clearly hasn’t met Mary.

*****

This is another brilliant Pink performance. She is fearless every. single. time. and that makes her one of the best. Newsflash Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and the like…THIS is a true artist.

*****

The stamina it took to execute this made me say bravo! That’s the wonderful thing about Beyoncé; you are not bored at any of her performances. She gives 110%.

124 Responses to “Night Owls: Now That’s Talent!”

1. 1 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Woooot!

2. 11 vitaminlover
    July 10, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I do love Beyonce

3. 12 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 10:59 pm

We need a blog-centric counter-part to “dropping the mic”, cuz UT this one kicks much derriere!!!

I don’t even have to hit play. I’ve seen all of these goose-bump-inducing performances. Yessssss, baybeeeee!! Wow!

• 13 utaustinliberal
      July 10, 2013 at 11:14 pm

“Dropping the mic?” – That’s high praise indeed. Thanks Dudette. Glad you love this Night Owl topic. :D

July 10, 2013 at 11:17 pm

‘I’ve seen all of these goose-bump-inducing performances’

Poetic justice that our resident DJ clicks in first on this thread! Congrats, Dudette!

Howdy, EVERYone! First time sticking my nose today. Am strongly hoping I didn’t miss anything major ’cause I really haven’t the energy/will to check all the threads I missed. Tonight I’m taking a quick peek at the talent you share in this post then go to bed.

{BTW: There’s nothing new on my end. Having heard nothing from the police my sister went to the station this evening to get an update, but was told the lead officer on the case was off for a couple of days.}

July 10, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Oh, VC, so sorry for your sister. And you and your entire family. Get a good night’s sleep!

July 10, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Hi JO’B! Update for OUR contract = 10 days into July and only :???: * 3 days missed. [*not sure if I'll get a failing grade for this. :grin: ]

July 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

To me, that’s an A+++. (I even have my visiting pre-teen grandson asking me now, “Were you on your exercise bike today?” Of course, I asked him to nudge me, but he’s gettin’ annoying, since he actually remembered that request! He’s on it more than I am. Ha!)

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 pm

:lol: I can sympathize. I actually find it funny (NOT) how the young ‘uns will remember to remind me religiously of something I asked them to remind me of, never thinking they would really remember! Of course, I have to hide the annoyance since I DID ask to be reminded. ;)

• 21 Dudette
        July 10, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Thank you VC Honey! You are too sweet!!

What your family is going through right now is so heartbreaking. I hope you get some answers soon, love.
        I’m sending you love and positive energy my dear!
        {{{{{ vc }}}}}

July 11, 2013 at 12:08 am

Dudette, TY so much for the love and energy! I do feel them and they make a difference. This whole thing is so bizarre, and made even more so because we have to be waiting before we can DO anything. I am no good at waiting through pain – action keeps it at bay for me.

4. July 10, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Loved the performance of Beyonce and Prince at the Grammy. don’t know how to download it but there is a fuzzy copy on Youtube. That was great.

5. July 10, 2013 at 11:11 pm

OK we are gonna go there…….

6. 26 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Jackie Evancho ~ Bridge Over Troubled Water

7. July 10, 2013 at 11:16 pm

While pregnant……M.I.A, Kanye, Hova, Wayne, and T.I…… sickness

July 10, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hey Vetivera24, I believe this is the Prince and Beyoncé Grammys performance you meant.

9. 29 donna dem 4 obama
    July 10, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Adele’s first live performance at the Grammy’s after throat surgery.

Rolling in the Deep!!

10. 34 vitaminlover
    July 10, 2013 at 11:17 pm

My youngest daughter is a definite Beyoncé fan.

11. July 10, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Can’t leave this one out….

12. July 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm

13. 37 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Found this on Andy Murray’s Twitter Timeline

Yet another example of the extremely piss-poor state of U.S. journalism. This New Orleans reporter didn’t know who she was talking to (2-time Olympic champion Mo Farah of Great Britain) — seriously she asked the man if this was “his first time.” OMG!
    Plus, she didn’t know that the race he’d just run in New Orleans, for which she was interviewing him was NOT a marathon.

I weep for my country!

14. July 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Take 2 minutes to watch this……this woman is bad to the bone!

15. 47 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Just for giggles! :-)

16. 48 carolyn
    July 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Would love to see the Texas woman’s segment from LOD tomorrow, if anyone can post it. I saw the bit on youtube where she was cut off, but would love to hear her speak with Larry. We didn’t watch tonight, as I was enthralled with the Secrets of the Dead special on PBS about solving the mysteries of King Tut. Anything from ancient Egypt totally captivates me.
    Has anyone been to Egypt and seen the ancient temples in Luxor? I’m hoping Egypt can get settled down so tourists can once again go. A good half of their economy is tourism, and with Morsi’s election, people didn’t feel safe going, so that was a big part of the decline of their economy.

17. 50 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm

18. July 10, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Couldn’t just leave the man be…… so sick of the GOP nut jobs.

19. 53 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:37 pm

WORD!!

20. 54 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:39 pm

21. 55 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm

22. July 10, 2013 at 11:43 pm

OK since it seems there are only ladies gallivanting TOD at this time, and you love you some Beyonce….I leave you w/ this. GN EVRY1

• 57 Dudette
      July 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

The study of genealogy really is quite fascinating! I sure would like to see another series from Henry Louis Gates. I loved his Finding Your Roots series.

From the article: “n an act of valiant public service, the Daily Mail researched the royal baby’s heritage. Their findings? Will and Kate’s heir and Blue Ivy will be cousins. Okay, 23rd cousins, twice-removed, but a play date is absolutely in order.

The tiny prince or princess, whose due date is believed to be this Saturday, July 13, will also be distant relatives of some other famous families, including Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. Celebrity “royalty” just got literal.”

• 58 yardarm756
        July 11, 2013 at 12:24 am

There’s a new series out “Who do you think you are” that’s coming out this month. Can’t remember exact dates or times but it is this month I think.

23. 60 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Two snaps in a big-ol circle!

24. 63 Dudette
    July 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

25. 64 lisalovesobama
    July 10, 2013 at 11:53 pm

How amazing! I just spent the last few hours stalking King Bey on the interwebs! It must be fate! :lol: I’m going to post my favorite performance of her song ‘Resentment.’ The first time I saw this performance, I geared up. Long live King Bey!

26. 68 yardarm756
    July 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm

An old sailors contribution for the night.

27. 77 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 12:06 am

Did someone say “TALENT”? Well, here ya go!

You’re welcome! :-cool:

• 78 purpleshoesla
      July 11, 2013 at 12:29 am

Love Rachelle. I would go see her live even if she was just singing names out of a phonebook, she’s that fierce. From that same performance at Montreux, she called Patti Austin out from backstage spur of the moment and Patti, George Duke and Jonathan Butler, and Rachelle just improvised and vibed off each other. It was all kinds of awesome sauce.

28. 82 lisalovesobama
    July 11, 2013 at 12:08 am

When Mrs. carter did this Prince/ Kings of Leon mash up, I KNEW she was a legend in the making for sure

29. 83 purpleshoesla
    July 11, 2013 at 12:08 am

What ho TOD night owls! Now I will confess, I am not a big fan of Beyonce, BUT I happened to be at the American Music Awards show in LA back in 2008 and saw Miss B perform Put A Ring on it live, in heels, doing the choreography from the song’s music video on full blast. Girlfriend hardly broke a sweat or was out of breath. So I had to say dayum you go girl! may not care much for most of her music, but when she is on stage, she is ON STAGE! Megawatt star power. She does NOT play. :smile:

30. 84 carla4obama
    July 11, 2013 at 12:13 am

Okay ladies..time for a march on the Washington Mall with Beyonce leading the chant…RUN THE WORLD!!
    The power of women in full display. A million woman march, with vaginal ultrasound wands in hand. That would scare the crap out of those old men in Washington trying to pass laws that put us back in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant.
    If Beyonce would do this…I and my 2 daughters, would be there.!!!

July 11, 2013 at 12:15 am

UT – This is not quite the genre you’re going for, but just found it again and thought I’d share it.

For those who have seen the ups and downs of love at least one time in their lives, try not to feel this one. I dare ya.

32. 87 4morefor44
    July 11, 2013 at 12:20 am

i’m not even an aerosmith or steven tyler fan, but man did he tear the roof off on what was already an incredible night.

33. 88 Jovie
    July 11, 2013 at 12:21 am

I like Halo, that is one of my favorite songs.

34. 89 Mellesia Barnett
    July 11, 2013 at 12:23 am

The Voice herself

35. 90 lisalovesobama
    July 11, 2013 at 12:27 am

And of course, some of King Bey’s best clips are her bloopers! Loving it!!! :lol: my favorite is the first one. She was wearing lights and at a certain point in the song, the crowd lights are supposed to go off and the lights on her costume are supposed to come on. Check it out:

Other funnies:

And of course: Lawdy Jesus, it’s a fire! :lol:

36. 91 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 12:37 am

Talent, I tell you! T-A-L-E-N-T!! :cool:

37. 92 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 12:41 am

38. 93 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 12:47 am

A little something from the other Miss Patti… [for those in the know, she does her trademark shoe thing around 3:50] :-)

39. 95 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 12:51 am

40. 96 purpleshoesla
    July 11, 2013 at 12:53 am

Can’t forget Fantasia turning out Lady Marmalade at the United Negro College Fund’s Tribute to Patti Labelle. Even Patti was up on her feet hollerin. :smile:

• 97 Dudette
      July 11, 2013 at 1:05 am

Yep I remember that. I’m not Fantasia’s biggest fan, but I appreciate her talent. She turned that out! Yes, she did!
      Only thing that was missing: Some shoes needed to be kicked off somewhere up in there! :-)

• 98 purpleshoesla
        July 11, 2013 at 1:38 am

:lol: :lol: I know I would’ve kicked my shoes off fo’ sho! :smile: I’m not a Fantasia fan myself but that performance was somethin’ else. You gotta have some chops and some grit to do that song justice. I remember when lil Kim, Christina Aguilera, Mya and P!nk did a remake of Lady Marmalade and rolling my eyes at that overblown over produced version. P!nk’s brief vocals had some grit but the rest of it was a hot mess.

41. 100 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:16 am

Vocal Range Goddess: Mariah Carey

42. July 11, 2013 at 1:20 am

OFA is not messing around! Front Page of the NYT website…..right next to their lead story about House GOP crazies & immigration reform!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

43. 103 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:22 am

Check this one out

Mariah Carey vs. Céline Dion: Prime (Vocal Battle)
    A vocal battle comparing The Songbird Supreme and Céline Dion in their prime years.
    Note- Bb5 is at 12:06, not 12:07.

44. 105 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:39 am

• 106 Dudette
      July 11, 2013 at 1:48 am

Toni Scruggs (3:45 – 5:05) needs to just go ahead and put out her own stuff. She is too freakin’ amazing to stay in the background.

45. 107 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:40 am

46. 108 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:41 am

Color me shocked… #NOT

• July 11, 2013 at 9:34 am

Hmm… I think I coped in wrong link. How’d THAT happen? :-)

LOL! I don’t even know what I was trying to post now. It was late. Forgive me! :-D :-D

47. 110 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 1:43 am

• 112 4morefor44
      July 11, 2013 at 2:45 am

not much of a battle in terms of “belting.” in total entertainment packaging with dancing and staging, sure, but in raw musical talent, not much of a comparison.

48. 116 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 2:01 am

Chaka vs. Barbra!!!!!!!

49. 117 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 2:06 am

Chaka Khan “Greatest Live Vocal Moments” Part I

Uploaded on May 15, 2010
    Part I of some C.K’s greatest vocal moments. Each clip is chosen for a different reason. ex: The first is for her brilliant funk interpretation of Queen Aretha’s “Baby I Love You”.
    A small clip of “Through the Fire” was chosen because of her excellent use of sultry melismas and the transition to a robust wail.
    A clip of “Precious Lord” was chosen because of the overall emotion of the performance and the range she displays.
    A clip of “Everlasting Love” was used because of the improv, weaving, and blending w/ the back ups.
    “Alfie” is self-explanatory.
    “You Got the Love” displays scatting and improv. ability.
    Her live performance from “Mamma I Wanna Sing” shows that Chaka can riff and runlike no other.
    “I Wish You Love” displays her scatting/improv ability.

50. 118 Dudette
    July 11, 2013 at 2:09 am

Welp! That’ll do it for me folks!

Goodnight y’all! Kiss-kiss! :-)

51. July 11, 2013 at 2:44 am

Dear Chips & all the wonderful TOD blog thread composers, this video needs to be seen by every female in America and every non-misogynistic male ….

… without doubt, that video can be used to destroy the #GOP, not only in Texas but throughout the USA.

Yes We Can

52. 121 4morefor44
    July 11, 2013 at 4:30 am

another entry for tonight. i had the good fortune to see ms. caesar in concert several years back, and she’s unbelievable.

53. July 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

Good Morning…TODVillle…GM MsChips…..

I love these musical cultural nite owl chats….one night i will stay up for them…but in the meantime I catch them in the morning….smile