Jul

The Time is Now

Erica Lafferty, daughter of Sandy Hook principal Dawn Hochsprung, stops at her mother’s grave on her wedding day

People: ….. “I wanted to let her know how much I missed her,” Lafferty says. “No daughter should ever have to do that on her wedding day … and I make sure she is always part of every day, like she always had been.”

…. For her bridal ensemble, Lafferty wore custom-dyed converse sneakers, something she and her mom often joked about.

“My mom always teased me because I was such a tomboy,” she says. “When I was picking out my dress, we found you could custom Converse sneakers, so she knew I had ordered them.”

Lafferty works with Mayors Against Illegal Guns, “to fight common-sense gun laws and join with others who’ve lost loved ones. I’m using my voice to make sure that things change and ensure no one else has to experience one of the most important days of their life without their mother due to gun violence.”

Full article here

The most heartbreaking graveyard image I’ve seen since:

Both lives utterly, pointlessly wasted.

121 Responses to “The Time is Now”

1. 7 carla4obama
    July 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

We have got to get it together NOW!

• 8 carla4obama
      July 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Okay…so sorry I am now seeing a google ad on this music video asking “Should Obama be Impeached”. Did not see that coming!!
      Impeached? WTF!!!

July 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Is the ad showing up here? I thought they only showed up on the YouTube site.

I’ve seen lots of those “should Obama be impeached” ads – with a darkened, half-scowling, obviously doctored pic of the President. I just ignore them right now.

• 12 Dudette
        July 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I don’t see it at all. Saw a pop-up for singles dating; clicked X to close it and I’m enjoying the great music. No worries! :-)

Thanks for posting!

• 13 arkluvspbo
      July 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Great song!

2. July 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This is the most heartbreaking graveyard image I’ve seen since:

• 15 utaustinliberal
      July 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Every time I see such images of heartbreak I get angry that so many were led to fight in a false war and ended up dead. Her pain just leaps out at you. Such injustice.

• July 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The face, the words, the embrace, the symbols of love, the stark black and white – it’s absolutely wrenching.

• July 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It really is Meta, and the way she cradles the grave, her cheek rested on top, like she’s hugging her son. No words.

• July 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I look at the last lines on his grave – “Operation Iraqi Freedom” – and I cringe with disgust at what W did to this man and to our country. Really, there are no words, never will be.

• July 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm

To this day, Meta, I’d love the people who supported this war to define what they meant by ‘freedom’. Thousands upon thousands of wasted Iraqi and American lives, for no reason other than greed.

• 22 arkluvspbo
              July 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Chipsticks, I just want them to admit they were wrong…that is all. Ok, well, maybe not ALL, because they really have a lot to be penitent for. But one small apology for making that really bad decision to go to war, would really go a long way towards healing this great divide between the GOTPs and non-GOTPs.
              It would be a start.
              If my hubby and I can do it, I think the political parties can do it as well ;)

• 23 Dudette
      July 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I feel the same way Chips. There is no deeper sorrow than what this woman has felt.

3. 24 Layla
    July 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Bringing this over from last thread because it deserves attention!!!!!!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130718/us-gang-rape-austin/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepageAUSTIN, Texas —

As many as 10 men allegedly took turns sexually assaulting a 13-year-old runaway Texas girl in an apartment where some cheered and filmed the attacks with their cellphone cameras, according to court records released Thursday.
    Authorities have charged two men in the alleged June 29 attacks, which began after the girl ran away from an Austin group home for children and got into a car with three unknown men, according to an arrest affidavit.
    Juan Lozano Ortega, 25, and Edgar Gerardo Guzman Perez, 26, were charged Wednesday with aggravated sexual assault of a felony. They were being held Thursday in the Travis County Jail on $30,000 bond each. Court and jail records did not indicate whether the men had attorneys.
    Austin police did not immediately return a phone message Thursday about the investigation or other possible suspects.
    “All of the other males took turns having sex with victim against her will, which lasted through the early morning hours,” the affidavit states.

• 25 arkluvspbo
      July 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm

But …but….if she were to get pregnant, according to the GOTPs, she would have to have an intrauterine device forced into her, if she were to decide to have an abortion…but wait — she would need parental consent. Sounds like her parents aren’t really in the picture, and neither is much of a guardian, so it almost sounds like getting consent would be an impossibility.
      This poor girl was probably unwanted, herself.
      Of course the racists will just say something about betting that they were “illegals”, and this proves how dangerous they are.

4. 26 Judith Fardig
    July 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Such a heartbreaking photo – well, both of them! Some people are leafletting malls and movie lines on July 20th, the anniversary of the Aurora, CO massacre and begging for gun sense The young moms I know are engaged in this battle for the long haul.

• July 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hiya Judith, it’s a soul-destroying image, isn’t it? But wonderful to hear about the leafletting, it lifts the spirits to know so many good people haven’t forgotten are still fighting this madness.

5. 28 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Survivors of the Tucson shooting came together for a night of remembrance and a call to action for all Arizonians.

July 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I notice that John McCain has been behaving since his son got married. Gramps doesn’t want his future biracial grandchildren to shamefully view him as a huge obstructionist of our first AA President now does he?

• 31 arkluvspbo
      July 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Wow, saw pictures of the family — gorgeous couple, and Gramps actually looked very happy and proud.

7. July 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Alright, here it is the first long trailer for the new Mandela movie starring Idirs Elba and Naomie Harris. Tell me what do ya’ll think. Maybe I”m biased, but it looks better than I thought it would right?

8. 35 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

9. July 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I watched some of Hardball tonight. First time in many months. Had watched Trayvon’s parents on Rev. Al and was doing stuff around here so didn’t change it. Was halfway listening, then I heard Chris tease what/who he was going to have on after the break. A VP at MSNBC–AA. He read part of a statement the guy had released today. When he came back, he had on the VP, Val ?????? and Michael Steele. They both shared very person stories about being a black man or teenager in America. It was almost riveting. When it was over–(Chris apologized to them as a white person), I said aloud: The thing you did not do/even mention is that our president is also black. You, Chris, should do a commentary using what these two men told you and tie that into what our President has had to experience/the way he’s been treated.

I sort of watched the rest of his show. Changed to Viewpoint on Current. Love John Fuglesang.

10. July 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Aiding and abetting the enemy…GG & Snowden

11. 38 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

12. 40 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Both of these pics are just heartbreaking. Watched Rev Al this evening and am now watching A360. I admire the strength and resolve of the Fulton/Martin family.

13. 41 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

14. 42 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

15. July 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

And he punched out his future father-in-law….among other things!

16. July 18, 2013 at 8:30 pm

• 45 Dudette
      July 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Okay, I’ve watched this friggin trailer several times now… Curse you lamh!

Now you got me lusting after Nelson Mandela. You KNOW that ain’t right! :-D :-D :-D

• 46 Dudette
      July 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Woooo…. where’s my fan? ;-)

• 47 sjterrid
      July 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Thanks for the link to the Mandela trailer with Idris Alba, lamh. It looks great. I saw Pacific Rim last weekend. I really enjoyed it

July 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Is Jimmy Carter still saying what Snowden did was “beneficial?”

18. July 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Israel’s crash into the diplomatic iceberg
    A combination of arrogance, complacency and moral stupor caused Israelis to continue to dance on the deck even as their ship was cruising straight into an iceberg. The skipper didn’t swerve in time. Nor did the passengers demand that he swerve in time.

19. 50 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

20. July 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Maybe this photo of Sabrina Fulton holding a photo of Trayvon is also poignant.

21. 61 arapaho415
    July 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm

HF2

Interesting observation about what might be motivating McCain. Have to admit, his son’s marriage to his gorgeous wife never occurred to me.

If that’s the case, maybe he’ll be “Maverick” McCain for the remainder of PBO’s second term. Wouldn’t that be great?

A couple of updates from today’s Senate confirmations:

McCarthy EPA:

This cracked me up because Memoli is usually pretty careful to not appear biased (except he’s definitely pro-Joe Biden; he covers Biden for LAT), and the Manchin (D-Coal) made me laugh.

• 62 arapaho415
      July 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

re: Perez confirmation at Labor:

• 63 forus50
      July 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Cordray was at least 20 months as POTUS appointed him during Senate recess Jan 1, 2012 and he was up for nomination months before that.

22. July 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

The Eiffel Tower in Paris is lit in the colours of the South African flag in honour of #MandelaDay

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

23. 67 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

24. 68 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

25. 69 arapaho415
    July 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Late to this, so this film may have been thoroughly discussed here in TODville, but just saw the trailer via @JamesFallows.

Seems to me any adult who sees this trailer and isn’t motivated to see the film doesn’t want to see *any* film.

Here’s Fallows:
    “Its leading figures are African-American, and in one case African-Asian-American, and some (not all) of their stories involve unfair barriers they faced. But I know that if I were watching this movie in Shanghai or Yokohama or Berlin I’d want to say to any foreigners who would listen, This is America! Look how great and capacious it is, and how great and talented these singers are, and — again — how remarkable it is that the “us” of the American identity bears such clear marks of all the different people who, despite inevitable friction, come together and pursue their hopes here.”

Has this film been discussed here?

26. 72 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm

27. 73 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

This is KEWL

July 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Either Piers Morgan’s sons are black or he is just clueless about the racial component of Zimmerman’s stalking…

• 75 donna dem 4 obama
      July 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm

You should tweet that as a response.

• 77 Layla
      July 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

For Piers it’s all about Piers! His comment is so ludicrous!

July 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Piers is always a bit clueless, but I know I talked with my own tall, white, pre-teen grandson who could have been a potential target for GZ in the dark wearing a hoodie, if “mistaken” for a black teen whose only crime was walking home from the store. Or was a member of whatever class of people Zimmerman decided shouldn’t be allowed to survive to live another day on the earth. Maybe Piers meant that, but might learn from how it appeared.

• 79 Layla
        July 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Good point jb! I have a black son and a white son and I must tell you that Trayvon’s massacre is really getting to me so maybe I was too harsh

July 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I don’t think anybody could be accused of “being too harsh” at this point, Layla. We’re all getting through it, some from a distance like me and some up close like you! But it’s hitting most of us hard in the gut. Thank goodness we can hang together on TOD while we try our best to sort out things!

• 81 theo67
        July 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

I have to agree with you, Jacq. Zimmerman is dangerous, and he’s proven that because he’s got a record of molesting and attacking people. His attack on Trayvon was driven by racism, but Zimmerman is a psychopath, a loose cannon and extremely dangerous. And now that he’s gotten away with murder and is about to embrace GOP stardom, he’ll be dangerous for anyone who triggers that murderous, violent streak in him. In this case, Piers is not completely wrong.

July 19, 2013 at 1:16 am

I don’t know about you, but when I saw his wife after the jury verdict, I kept wondering – not that she isn’t exactly like him in his racism and other sick thoughts, who knows about that – how she’ll feel going forward sleeping next to a known murderer for the rest of her life or the rest of her marriage to him. My advice for her would be to change her identity and run for her life.

• 83 theo67
            July 19, 2013 at 1:20 am

Thankfully, I’ve never seen her. He was dangerous when she married him, so I’m inclined to believe that she knows what kind of individual she’s got on her hands. He molested that family member for years, and he attacked a police officer when he was a teenager – so, this violence thing isn’t new with him.

• July 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I’m not a violent person, have spent my entire professional life trying to find ways to save lives, and haven’t owned a gun since I was a kid in TX. But, I’ve reached the point that if I was black or brown in America, until collective sanity crushed the NRA and enacted stringent gun control laws, I’m with Malcolm X on this issue.

Reality sucks.

• 85 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        July 18, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Bob, I came to the same conclusion over the weekend. Pennsylvania has a SYG law; I’ll be damned if I’m going to be an unarmed target.

• July 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Understood.

And, you know what ‘know how to use it’ means, Alycee.

I’d like to see how long these stand your ground laws & totally unregulated gun access fetishes would last, if I had the financial ability to open “Special Ops” quality training in the use of 9mm hand guns for black and brown youths, throughout America, and, upon graduation provided each of them both free, mandatory continued training and a Glock.

29. 87 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm

30. 88 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    July 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Hello there TOD. I just want to stop by and share a thought on taking OUR country back. I know it’s been mentioned but it can’t be said enough. To achieve justice locally the most effective strategy would be to flip over the ballot and vote on the judges, sheriffs etc. So many people don’t bother. So even in districts where the GOP always win we could have an effect if ALL the DEMs knew who the good candidates on the reverse of the ballot were and voted for them. I KNOW PLENTY OF GOP VOTERS WHO HAVE NO CLUE WHO THE JUDGES ARE AND SO THEY LEAVE IT BLANK OR JUST VOTE FOR INCUMBENTS. If we were better informed than they are we could have an advantage. Stealth tactics. Could OFA provide this information in every district? We have the advantage of plenty of time to get this done. And don’t forget the school boards. I did hours of homework on my sample ballot before I voted. For those in the Minneapolis area this is a great source of information on candidates as election season draws near. The Update.org http://www.theuptake.org/

July 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm

International outrage at the verdict.

32. 94 arapaho415
    July 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’m catching up with today’s previous threads, and I agree with HF2 that if POTUS doesn’t meet with Putin, it’s not because of #Snowden.

Once again, our lazy MSM gets the story wrong.

PBO has made it clear that he considers #Snowden a nuisance, not someone who would or should influence the US’s foreign affairs.

Isn’t Snowden pretty much trapped now? A couple of humorous tweets on this subject (sent yesterday and the day before):

33. 95 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

34. 96 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm

July 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm

July 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Piers Morgan is now anti-Zimmerman, and he’s making no secret of it

37. 104 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm

38. 112 Dudette
    July 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

39. 113 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm

A chuckle for ya…

The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment: Get their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end of it. The next day, the kids came back and, one by one, began to tell their stories.

There were all the regular types of stuff: Spilled milk and pennies saved. But then the teacher realized, much to her dismay, that only Janie was left.

“Janie, do you have a story to share?”

‘Yes ma’am. My daddy told me a story about my Mommy. She was a Marine pilot in Desert Storm, and her plane got hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory, and all she had was a flask of whiskey, a pistol, and a survival knife.

She drank the whiskey on the way down so the bottle wouldn’t break, and then her parachute landed her right in the middle of 20 Iraqi troops. She shot 15 of them with the pistol, until she ran out of ammo, killed four more with the knife, till the blade broke, and then she killed the last Iraqi with her bare hands.”

”Good Heavens,’ said the horrified teacher. What did your Daddy tell you was the moral to this horrible story?”

“Don’t Fuck with a Woman Marine, period. Much less when she’s been drinking.”

I love these touching stories!

July 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I’m sure you have a whole bunch of these “Woman Marine” stories, Alycee, and enjoying sharing each of ‘em! This one was … er … priceless. :)

• 115 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        July 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Actually, a male Marine posted this on the WMA fb page.

But true life big news — A couple of weeks ago, the first female became SgtMaj of Marine Barracks, 8th & I (that’s the unit to which the WH Marine Guards, the President’s Own Band, etc. belong). The Sergeant Major worked for me at Quantico back in 1989-90; she was outstanding then and now. I expect that she will be the first female Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.

July 19, 2013 at 1:10 am

That must have been a moment of pride and excitement for you, when she became Sergeant Major! And we all know your mentoring, etc., of her was partly responsible.

Do you remember Lieutenant General Carol Mutter? I just had to look up her name, but she once visited our Naval command when I was PAO, and I arranged in advance for her to give an “exclusive” interview to the local newspaper, mostly, truth be told, to give us some extra good press in hosting her.

It was after she earlier had become the first woman in the Marine Corps to be promoted to Major General (awaiting Senate confirmation of the rank of Lieutenant General), and while she was Commander of Marine Corps Systems Command at Quantico. Anyway, she was more than gracious in agreeing to it. I was quite nervous that the goofball reporter (who had previously proven to be a little lackluster) would embarrass our command with his questions, and surprised when he did a good job at the interview. She and I had pre-arranged that I would break it up when she felt she had contributed enough, and did so after she gave me the signal.

We were all awaiting his article in the next morning’s newspaper. The article was fine but, instead of just concentrating on the message she wanted to get out, in a dignified fashion, he chose to pick the headline, “Military’s bastion of macho includes top woman” – referring to the Marine Corps, of course – which made us all just shake our heads. “Bastion of macho”? That’s the best he could do? Ha! Luckily, her communications guy said “we’re used to that.”

40. 119 Jovie