Jul

“Trayvon Martin Could Have Been Me 35 Years Ago”

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Discusses+Trayvon+nNQOrb4zo_Wx

*****

President Obama’s Full Remarks

First of all, I want to make sure that, once again, I send my thoughts and prayers, as well as Michelle’s, to the family of Trayvon Martin, and to remark on the incredible grace and dignity with which they’ve dealt with the entire situation.  I can only imagine what they’re going through, and it’s remarkable how they’ve handled it.

The second thing I want to say is to reiterate what I said on Sunday, which is there’s going to be a lot of arguments about the legal issues in the case — I’ll let all the legal analysts and talking heads address those issues.  The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner.  The prosecution and the defense made their arguments.  The juries were properly instructed that in a case such as this reasonable doubt was relevant, and they rendered a verdict.  And once the jury has spoken, that’s how our system works.  But I did want to just talk a little bit about context and how people have responded to it and how people are feeling.

You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son.  Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.  And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.

There are very few African American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store.  That includes me.  There are very few African American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars.  That happens to me — at least before I was a senator.  There are very few African Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off.  That happens often.

More here

e2bc11dc27ad0a18380f6a70670005df

President Barack Obama speaks to reporters in the Brady Press Briefing room of the White House in Washington.

***

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Discusses+Trayvon+s9HdoX0YeqNx

President Barack Obama speaks on Trayvon Martin and the George Zimmerman trial.

71ce555d27ac0a18380f6a7067006f27

President Barack Obama gestures as he speaks during his daily news briefing at the White House, Friday, July 19, 2013, in Washington, about the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.

Sybrina Fulton & Tracy Martin statement on President Obama’s Remarks About Trayvon Martin

We know that the death of our son Trayvon, the trial and the not guilty verdict have been deeply painful and difficult for many people. We know our family has become a conduit for people to talk about race in America and to try and talk about the difficult issues that we need to bring into the light in order to become a better people.

What touches people is that our son, Trayvon Benjamin Martin, could have been their son. President Obama sees himself in Trayvon and identifies with him. This is a beautiful tribute to our boy.

Trayvon’s life was cut short, but we hope that his legacy will make our communities a better place for generations to come. We applaud the President’s call to action to bring communities together to encourage an open and difficult dialogue. Our family is committed to this dialogue through the work of the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

We seek a future when a child can walk down the street and not worry that others see him as dangerous because of the color of his skin or the clothes on his back. We seek a future where our children can grow up and become the people God intended them to be.

2013-07-19T181037Z_1383588120_GM1E97K05ZB01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

***

2013-07-19T180122Z_208186616_GM1E97K05K801_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama pauses while speaking about Trayvon Martin in the press briefing room at the White House

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Discusses+Trayvon+vN-vgmELoYnx

156 Responses to ““Trayvon Martin Could Have Been Me 35 Years Ago””

1. 1 JER
    July 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm

2. 4 CEB
    July 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

We do live in interesting times. So thankful that PBO is a large part of it.

July 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm

4. 6 sjterrid
    July 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I’m going to post the comment I made at the bottom of last thread before I realized Chips had made a new thread.

Thank you Mr. President for once again speaking honestly about what we have to do to make and move our country to be more perfect. We are the ones who have to speak up and be actively involved in our democracy. We can’t become cynical and give up. That’s what the people who are more interested in making profits than improving our lives want.

• 7 sjterrid
      July 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I don’t know how to delete the extra “Reply”

• 8 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        July 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hey, Terri! Good to “see” you!

• 9 sjterrid
          July 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hi Alycee! How have you been? I hope you are well.

I’ve been busy with OFASJ, and I have also started making calls for Cory Booker for US senate. I actually met him on Wednesday at the Camden County Democratic Committee Headquarters. There were about 200 people there.

• 10 utaustinliberal
        July 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Don’t worry. I fixed it for you. :D

5. 13 Mellesia Barnett
    July 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm

President Obama thank you

July 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

THIS. This you must read. We have so far to go as a country because acts like this are shameful.

July 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I am sure NO ONE has mistaken David Sirota or Glen Greenwald for waiters – so before they try to compare themselves with PBO, or MLK who have both suffered indignities solely because of their skin color…

• 16 Nena20409
      July 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Didn’t Tina Brown proudly tweeted about introducing her Maid to Oprah Winfrey some months ago? Tina Brown’s constant criticism of pres Obama……continues today. I wonder if 10 yrs ago……Tina Brown was the twit who did that 10 yrs ago……wanting st sen Obama to fetch her sorry arse some drinks. I truly loathe that woman.

7. July 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sweet Primce of Peace bringing words of both wisdom and comfort to the world.

8. July 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Sir.

I couldn’t have this made more clear to those close to me – who have to learn this – or repeat history (agh …)

9. 19 sabreen60
    July 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

On occasion when I feel my husband may have taken me for granted, I jokingly tell him that he’s going to miss me when I’m gone. Well, I KNOW that if I am alive I will miss President Obama when he leaves office. This man has such a good heart and is a compassionate soul. I truly smile whenever I see him. Even if he’s dealing with something so sad I am outwardly weeping. Inside I am smiling at him because he is who he is. This is a good man y’all.

• July 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I was just thinking about that this afternoon. He’s been such a wonderful President that I’m going to miss him terribly in 2017. I really love him and his family (including Bo). He’s so intelligent, well-spoken, charming and caring that I would put him at the top of my list for best Presidents, followed by Bill Clinton.

Enjoy the Obama years, everyone — they’ll soon be gone.

July 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

ALL of THIS!

• 22 CEB
      July 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm

He is racially profiled every time they question how much something costs, or where he goes on vacation (that he never gets to fully enjoy), and how often he is on Air Force One and in so many other ways since he came on the national scene. He brushes it off and keeps going. PBO is their worst nightmare: a brilliant Black man who is not looking to them for permission or approval.

• 25 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Donald Trump wasn’t the first racist to demand President Obama’s birth certificate. The whole Republican party has revealed its ugliness and bigotry in the way they’ve treated President Obama, including Dumb Dumb Palin’s accusations that he was palling around with terrorists during the 2008 campaign. I’ll never forgive them for that or forget how they’ve treated the first Black President.

11. 26 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

• July 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, Alycee,
      This was a very powerful statement that contained no animus toward anyone. I admire the courage that Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin have displayed in the face of devastating events that would have completely destroyed me.

• 28 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Very dignified response — they’re very classy people.

12. 32 Linda
    July 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Detroit bankruptcy filing is unconstitutional and needs to be withdrawn.

LANSING, Mich — An Ingham County judge says Thursday’s historic Detroit bankruptcy filing violates the Michigan Constitution and state law and must be withdrawn.

But Attorney General Bill Schuette said he will appeal Circuit Judge Rosemarie Aquilina’s Friday rulings and seek emergency consideration from the Michigan Court of Appeals. He wants her orders stayed pending the appeals, he said in a news release.

• 33 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I know somewhere Romney is deeply sighing since he was hoping for Detroit to go bankrupt. Oh well.

July 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Sybrina Fulton & Tracy Martin Comment on President Obama’s Remarks About Trayvon Martin

New York, NY – July 19, 2013: We are deeply honored and moved that President Obama took the time to speak publicly and at length about our son, Trayvon. The President’s comments give us great strength at this time. We are thankful for President Obama’s and Michelle’s prayers, and we ask for your prayers as well as we continue to move forward.

14. 35 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

15. July 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm

For the record …

#TrustBarack He Earns It every minute of every day ….

• 37 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm

And everyday thereafter.

• 38 0388jojothecat
      July 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Yep, and when “MR thinlips-turtle McConnell” said he wanted to make sure PBO was a one term president.

• 39 ericfive
      July 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Bobfr, I just want to say that your perspective and insight is greatly appreciated. It is often difficult to “walk in another man’s shoes” but you have an open heart and open mind that is to be commended. P.S. I really enjoyed the Malcom X video, recommend all check out his speeches and interviews on YouTube.

16. July 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm

The usual suspects are shouting “what took so long” for President Obama to speak on verdict (btw, it’s only been 5 days people!!!). I’m betting POTUS like all of us felt the same: the first day, we were numb, by day 2 we had a simmering anger, day 3-4, juror pissed us off….Day 4-5 Trayvon’s parents spoke about their feelings. Day 5 we could talk w/o getting angry…

• July 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm

here’s my thoughts in twitter form:

17. 43 LDS
    July 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

As painful as this was for me to watch, I felt so much admiration and respect for this man, Our President because of the connection we share. I could see on his face and feel his heart pulse through every word. I wished my Dad, uncle and brothers were alive to see this. It took me seeing his pain to feel theirs. I will cherish this moment with my sons, their sons and hopefully their sons. This video will be shown at every family function and gathering. I never thought that I would live to see a President feel what AA have been feeling all our lives and for him to express it with such compassion, love, hurt and pain is such a blessing.
    Thank you, Mr. President……just thank you.

• July 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

“I will cherish this moment with my sons, their sons and hopefully their sons. This video will be shown at every family function and gathering.”

LDS, am very grateful to the President for enabling you and every AA family to do exactly as you wonderfully state in those two sentences.

I’d suggest all Americans do the same.

Yes We Can

18. 45 japa21
    July 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

July 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

20. 50 vitaminlover
    July 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

President Obama is fearless.

July 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

22. 64 Asher in Boston
    July 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Thank you Mr. President for shining a light on the race experience. I for one live in an almost all white community, and as a 20 yr old black African female, you attract all these biases, but at least here in the north east, they hide it and everyone does their own thing. At college, I made it a point to tell my schoolmates and friends that one thing I’m never going to apologize for, is my race/color. And I always let who ever cares to know or ask, that I’m African. Will never disown my people. Mostly, I mind my own business and when my fellow students who think they are all that because they are white and Americans, whine about student loans, I always tell them that thank God for my poor African mum, all my tuition is paid in full and I don’t have to worry abt it. Not that, I’m being a bitch, but it’s because they treat me like the poor African they think every African is. I feel sorry for these young people because, they are really uninformed and at a young age, they still display this subtle racism.

I live with my younger brother in a house my mum bought in cash. In this upscale town, it has several rooms because my family always come during the summer to visit and do some shopping so they have a place to stay too. We went through hell when we first moved in because the neighbors would always call the police on us just because our other friends came to visit on summer weekends. The police would ask who owned the house, and do you happen to have drugs. And they never found anything illegal going on, but the neighbors wondered how we could afford the house. We don’t do drugs even weed, if you know how conservative and strict African parents are, one wouldn’t be surprised. But still, people view us suspiciously. People should never judge one another for how they look, who they love and so on. My brother is 18yrs and it really hit me so hard when GZ was found not guilty and it’s going to take me a while to get over it. Like I said before, people in Africa are mad and I had to tell those that I talk to that not all white people are racist and bad and not all states are evil as Florida. It’s sad that even now, most African Newspapers are still writing about the Trayvon story. It really gave the U.S a bad name abroad.

• 65 0388jojothecat
      July 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Welcome Asher in Boston, I hope you come back and continue to let us know how this is playing abroad.

• 66 majiir
      July 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I know exactly what you and your brother are going through Asher because my family went through the same thing in the 1980s here in GA when we were the first black family to buy a home in an all white neighborhood. Keep doing the great things you’re doing. We’re still living in the same house in the same neighborhood.

• 67 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:14 pm

“We went through hell when we first moved in because the neighbors would always call the police on us just because our other friends came to visit on summer weekends.”

Wow!! Hard to believe this kind of thing is still going on in 2013. Americans have a lot to get over when it comes to race. We haven’t come that far at all.

• 68 0388jojothecat
        July 19, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I am sorry to say but American’s who waive the flag and boast “land of the free, home of the brave” are just a bunch of hollow words and are seen as hypocrite.

• 69 majiir
        July 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Nope, we haven’t come as far as some claim we have. As President Obama said, there’s still the problem with some clutching their purses on elevators and/or even refusing to get on the same elevator with some of us, and the problem of hearing door locks click when you walk past cars still happens. We just don’t dwell on these things, pkayden. We shrug our shoulders and keep moving forward, marveling at the silliness of some of our fellow citizens.

• 70 misspat
          July 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

That is what I do. I shake my head and keep walking. Most of the time I have more money in my purse than the white person clutching their purse to them. As for the elevator I must confess that I do not go on with them. Just can’t stand the atmosphere in a close setting.

23. July 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

“And for those who resist that idea that we should think about something like these “stand your ground” laws, I’d just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman who had followed him in a car because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.”

This x INFUCKINGFINITY!

• 72 0388jojothecat
      July 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Are you listening to Randi Rhodes? George Zimmerman’s cousin he molested? His admission to her parents and why he is estranged from his parents? If you missed it Pacific time, her show is replayed on iheart radio in other cities, Albuquerque, NM1340 AM and Denver 760 AM.

• 73 pkayden
        July 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Who is estranged from their parents? George Zimmerman? So he’s a child molester, huh? I’ve also heard that he was arrested for domestic violence.

So, between Trayvon and “Georgie”, who’s the thug?

• 74 0388jojothecat
          July 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Yep, George Zimmerman’s female cousin was interviewed as a witness for the trial and Randi was playing the tape. She anonymously called the Sanford police department to inform them of this. This female cousin said that her parents confronted George Zimmerman and he apologized to her parents. The interviewer asked if he admitted the molestation and she said that when her parents confronted him he apologized that was admission. That whenever there were family gatherings, George Zimmerman was excluded. This cousin talked about it was common knowledge that the entire family – George’s parents and his brother hated black people who did not act like “white people”. The cousin said she was talking to George’s mother and asked or told her something about OFA and Obama and George’s mother said she did not like Obama and his mother proclaimed she was a racist (it sounded a little fake). The first hour of Randi’s show is unbelievable that the prosecution had this information and did not use it. Randi talked about his domestic violence how he (GZ) cut off his mother’s electricity. How some guy is giving GZ a free gun because the DOJ is holding on to the evidence while they are investigation.

• July 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Do you know which side of the family was from?

July 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

0388jojothecat.,if this is true, Oh how I wish juror B-37 could hear this. I would love to ask juror B-37 what she think of her Dear Georgie now.

• 79 0388jojothecat
              July 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Ooooooh….the show also said and I believe it was posted here how the so-called sequestered jurors went out on shopping trips, spa, dinner, etc. Well Randi also said there were times that these jurors were UNSUPERVISED during these family visits. That maybe this is how juror B-37 was able to work out a book deal. So much is slowly coming out about this whole case and the prosecutors and DA on what a shitty job they did.

• July 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I only caught part of it – HOLYFUCKINGSHIT.

24. 82 Bill R.
    July 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm

25. 83 Mellesia Barnett
    July 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Jonathan Alter get off my damn t.v and stop with the damn comparison can’t the President say something that is not compared to another damn president.

• 84 majiir
      July 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I cannot stand Jonathan Alter. He has to always draw a comparison between PBO and some other president. What he doesn’t understand is that no other president could speak from a personal POV about being black in America before PBO. For this reason, the president’s comments cannot be compared to those of any other president. Alter and the other pundits who make these kinds of comparisons need to sit down and shut up.

26. 85 Jovie
    July 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Went out for Lobster with my family, I come back and looks like I missed all the fun?

27. 90 yardarm756
    July 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I’ll bet heads are exploding on faux noise.

July 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm

29. 100 Indie Liberal
    July 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Adding more. Thank you Mr. President. Continue to ignore Tavis Frowney.

Also thank you to the Martin family. We are still praying for you.

Happy Birthday LL and continued vibes for GoBrooklyn.

July 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm

July 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

32. July 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

“What I will always remember,” Rosman wrote in 2008, “is as I was leaving that party … I was approached by another guest, an established author. He asked about the man I had been talking to. Sheepishly he told me he didn’t know that Obama was a guest at the party, and had asked him to fetch him a drink. In less than six years, Obama has gone from being mistaken for a waiter among the New York media elite, to the president-elect. What a country.”

• 107 pkayden
      July 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Now that’s a story. From mistaken waiter to President of the most powerful country in the world. Wow.

July 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

P.S. F.U., Tina Brown, and your effin’ friends in the NYC media elite. None of ya will be in the history books, but our President will be ranked there among our greatest leaders ehvah. Oh, I just made myself smile, after all.

• 109 majiir
        July 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Exactly, Jacqueline, exactly. The haters can’t stand that PBO’s character and concern for all Americans trumps theirs. They’re the ones making divisions among the populace and getting rich by doing it. The Zimmerman case exposes just this. They have rallied support for Zimmerman among many white republicans and have transformed Trayvon Martin’s entire life into viewing it as a being that of a useless “thug” and of no value to anyone, even his family, As Christians, they shouldn’t be applauding GZ for taking the life of an unarmed kid. They’re not pro-life at all. If they were, they’d not be celebrating a real thug taking the life of an innocent teenager. The best thing I read on Think Progress today was about the rise of progressive Christians, of whom I am one. I’m fed up with republican Christians highjacking and distorting Christianity. Jesus did NOT believe in the things they’re doing/saying. I read my Bible for myself, and I know it.

• 110 carolyn
          July 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Here’s another progressive Christian and proud to be so majiir. The other side has to my mind perverted Christianity for so long, that the world at large thinks they represent everyone. So NOT TRUE!!! I read that article too and was somewhat encouraged.

July 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

And I know it, too. We’ll all just have to hang onto that truth, and move forward.

33. 112 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

34. July 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm

All I could think of was Nelson Mandela… And the incredible moral courage the President has shown.

Gato

July 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm

36. 115 Mellesia Barnett
    July 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Joy Reid is giving it to that GOP so called strategist.

37. July 19, 2013 at 5:26 pm

O/T but…… hope your enjoying your stay in the bastion of freedom known as Russia, Mr. Snowden, sorry your & GG’s plan didn’t work….

38. 121 Linda
    July 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Smercomish is shocked ….that PBO spoke in ” full paragraphs ” without notes and no telepromter.

They don’t even hear themselves, do they ?

• July 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Nope. They prove the case every time they open their damn mouths ….

• 123 CEB
      July 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

And….this is racial profiling. They do hear themselves and are fully aware of what they are saying.

• 124 lisalovesobama
      July 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Heard that and rolled my GD eyes. :roll: what an idiot! And that idiot April said today PBO talked about race which “he’s never done before.” Really heifer? What an ass.

• 125 majiir
      July 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

This is total BS, but it seems as if Smercomish and others have bought into it and have decided that it applies to PBO. This isn’t the first time PBO has spoken without a TelePrompTer. He didn’t have one when he totally trashed the republicans in that televised healthcare debate. He thrashed them so completely that they decided they’d hold no more unscripted debates/meetings with him. PBO has decimated Boehner so many times that Boehner declared earlier this year that he would never negotiate one-on-one with him ever again.

• 126 isonprize
        July 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Since tele-prompters were invented, EVERY US PRESIDENT HAS USED THEM. Just sayin’

• 127 ericfive
          July 19, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Every President used Air Force One, golfed and took a vacation. These people are RACIST. I share Malcolm X’s distrust of these so called liberals.

• 128 vitaminlover
      July 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Totally not.

39. 129 Betsy
    July 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

40. 130 yardarm756
    July 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Let me say that as I approach 3/4 of a century on this planet, I NEVER! This was a great day.

41. July 19, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Once again, President Obama speaks from his heart with the intention of acknowledging historical context, where we are and where we could be. Incredibly open, honest and moving expression.

42. July 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

What is Eugene Robinson saying about what the President said?

43. 139 carolyn
    July 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Today has been powerful for me, for good reasons. The President’s statement touched me at my core, and the statement by Trayvon’s parents showed a grace that I don’t believe I could muster at such a time.

I’ve been thinking about our race relations in our country even more lately, and want to thank many of you on this blog for the education you have given my head and my heart. You have given me the opportunity to look into experiences which are so far from mine, I could not imagine them, but you have allowed me to begin imagining them. For that I am profoundly grateful. Growing up I did not realize how privileged I was, just by my accident of birth and skin color. I think this realization is what is needed by white folks…..that we are incredibly privileged, through no effort of our own.

I am also so extremely thankful to be living when this exceptional man is president. In our history as a country, we NEEDED him at this time. It has been painful to see all the virulent racism streaming forth after his election. It hurts me for him and his family. I have a feeling he expected it much more than any of us did. Whoever the first AA president was would have to face this, and I for one am glad we have him now, and are having to deal with this horror. Nothing would have changed if this had stayed under the surface, festering and rumbling along. We….on this side of the picture, would have gone blissfully on thinking there was no racism left. Now, we have to face it and deal with it and right a lot of wrongs.

When I started reading this blog, I was just thankful to find a place where people shared my feelings about the President. I didn’t know I would also receive a powerful education. Thank you.

• 140 CEB
      July 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Thank you Carolyn for all of the times that you have shared your thoughts and part of your life and growth with us. I especially enjoy your comments about your students; your love for them shines through. We are all learning and growing, in so many ways, together.

• 141 Betsy
      July 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

As a person who happens to be a woman and white, I feel the same way you do, privileged. I loved, loved what PBO said today. He’s so awesome.

• 143 sjterrid
      July 19, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Carolyn, thank you so much for this comment. You definitely speak for me, and I see for a lot of people on this blog. I would, also, like to say that your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher.

44. 144 lisalovesobama
    July 19, 2013 at 5:45 pm

After not watching any blabbing heads since the election, I broke my streak to see what they’re saying about PBO’s speech. White Smerconish(sp) asking white Ron Reagan if there were things he wanted PBO to say about race that he didn’t hear. Ron was a smart man and deferred to PBO. :roll:

• 147 Linda
      July 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

He appears to be 100 % clueless

• 148 majiir
      July 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Smercomish is a fool. How in the hell can a person who hasn’t experienced what someone else has experienced “advise” him on what to include in a speech about race? Smercomish isnthe embodiment of white privilege. Black Americans know way more about White Americans than White Americans know about blacks because historically, this is how we were forced to live our lives–on their bases, with them making all of the rules. Thank goodness more White Americans are beginning to realize that we are decent people undeserving of being treated as Second Class citizens in our own country of birth.

45. July 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm

New post in a little-ish bit.

46. 150 Bill R.
    July 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I am most grateful to our President. He is a healer of souls, and his presidency will be felt for many generations as one who brought hope and healing to a nation in need of it. He spoke today in validation of the African American experience of pain, and the need for us all to be brought to a “more perfect union” as pilgrims on this journey together in America. Exposing the pain and calling for a justice and respect that we are all to participate in, in such a masterful way, was his gift to America this day.

47. July 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hmmm seems to me that Chris Wallace is trying to coral his crazy colleagues with this…

Fox News’ Chris Wallace: No, Obama Isn’t Stoking Racial Tensions With Trayvon Remarks

The host of “Fox News Sunday” Chris Wallace rebutted the suggestion made by some conservatives that President Barack Obama was stoking racial tensions by wading so deeply into the the issue of the George Zimmerman verdict on Friday.

“I thought he was trying to help both sides of the divide understand, and I thought he was especially moving when he talked about the new generation, talked about his daughters and the idea that the new generation, the upcoming generation, is better than people of our ages were in the sense they’re more color blind, they don’t see whites see black or blacks see whites as much of a threat,” the veteran journalist said on Fox News.

“I thought he was trying to deal with it in a forthright fashion,” he added. “Whether it was his race speech during the 2008 campaign or other speeches, this is when the President can be most effective. The speech he gave after the senseless shooting of Gabby Giffords in Tucson about violence in our society–Boy, I sure don’t see how you can read this as in any way stoking racial tensions.”..

• 153 0388jojothecat
      July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm

The GOP are just deranged over ANYTHING PBO says…..and the Progessive Left are deranged with how he said it, what he should have said, and how come it took so long…..He just can’t please the far right nor the far left……thank God he pleases the majority in the middle.

48. 154 HZ
    July 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Amen, jojo. We are so blessed to have this beautiful president. I am so grateful to be a part of his election in 2008 and his re-election in 2012. His brilliant mind and his beautiful core is true within his soul. Thank you, Mr. President. HZ

49. 155 arkluvspbo
    July 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm

The Martin/Fulton family is beyond courageous. I am honored that they are sharing the memory of their son with the entire world, in what has to be the most awful experience a parent can endure in private, let alone on a world-wide stage.
    We should all strive to follow their lead.
    All the blessings and positive vibes to this dear family.