Jul

Rise and Shine

May 8, 2009 – Photo by Pete Souza

The Week Ahead:

Monday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Tuesday: The President will welcome NCAA Champion Louisville Cardinals to the White House to honor the team and their 2013 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship

Wednesday: The President will travel to Galesburg, Illinois and Warrensburg, Missouri for events on the economy

Thursday: The President will welcome the President of Vietnam to the White House. In the afternoon, he will travel to Jacksonville, Florida for an event on the economy, and on Thursday evening he will host an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan at the White House

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Charles Blow (NYT): Barack and Trayvon

On Friday President Obama picked at America’s racial wound, and it bled a bit.

Despite persistent attempts by some to divest the Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman tragedy of its racial resonance, the president refused to allow it.

During a press briefing, Mr. Obama spoke of the case, soberly and deliberately, in an achingly personal tone, saying: “You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

With that statement, an exalted black man found kinship with a buried black boy, the two inextricably linked by inescapable biases, one expressing the pains and peril of living behind the veil of his brown skin while the other no longer could.

More here

Jonathan Capehart: … What is so significant is that the president spoke up for Trayvon. After a trial that seemed to put Trayvon on trial for his own death and a verdict that freed people to smear all young black men for the actions of a few, Obama’s nearly 20-minute oration restored Trayvon’s dignity …. he expressed unflinching sympathy for Trayvon’s parents and the Martin family.

….. The president also didn’t shy away from black-on-black crime and the other ills stalking black males …. But he also explained that those who would use those issues to justify disparate treatment of black men and boys only add to the collective pain of African Americans.

I was in the briefing room when the president said these words, and I will admit to a welling of the eyes …. To have a president who looks like me and has lived the same experience I have and to say so before the nation was as overwhelming as it was historic….

Full post here

NYT Editorial: President Obama’s Anguish

President Obama did something Friday that he hardly ever does – and no other president could ever have done. He addressed the racial fault lines in the country by laying bare his personal anguish and experience in an effort to help white Americans understand why African-Americans reacted with frustration and anger to the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin…..

….. It is a great thing for this country to have a president who could do what Mr. Obama did on Friday. It is sad that we still need him to do it.

Full editorial here

TPM: Why Obama Decided To Speak Out On Race And The Zimmerman Verdict

President Obama decided Thursday that he would more fully and publicly address the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, a White House aide told TPM.

“The president had been talking to friends and family about the verdict and their observations,” the aide said. “And late afternoon or early evening yesterday, he told a handful of his advisers that he’d like to speak publicly about it. He thought the timing was right.”

Obama had been following reactions to the verdict all around the country since it was handed down, “especially in African-American communities,” the aide said.

More here

LA Times: Ira Acree spent two hours passing out fliers in front of the Dirksen Federal Building in downtown Chicago, hoping to spread the word about a “Justice for Trayvon” vigil at noon Saturday – one of at least 100 planned in cities across the nation.

On the way back to his car, Acree, a pastor, spotted a television in the lobby of the parking garage. A crowd had gathered in front, as if “watching the football game,” Acree said. President Obama was speaking.

In his first comments since a six-woman jury acquitted George Zimmerman of murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, Obama spoke frankly and reflectively, relating his experiences with race and racial profiling. “Trayvon Martin could have been me,” the president said.

Obama’s earnest words moved Acree almost to tears.

“I just think that the president’s words may help whites across the nation at least understand us,” Acree said. “And be a little bit more emphathetic toward our actions tomorrow.”

More here

The Atlantic: The Time Obama Was Mistaken for a Waiter at a Tina Brown Book Party …. He was a state senator then, and one of the few African Americans at the elite New York media event.

… “What I will always remember,” Rosman wrote in 2008, “is as I was leaving that party … I was approached by another guest, an established author. He asked about the man I had been talking to. Sheepishly he told me he didn’t know that Obama was a guest at the party, and had asked him to fetch him a drink. In less than six years, Obama has gone from being mistaken for a waiter among the New York media elite, to the president-elect. What a country.”

Full post here

Okay, you know about the Salon piece by race-baiter David Sirota’s best buddy, Rich Benjamin?

When Joy Reid tweeted this….

…. I wondered what the make-up of the senior staff was at the place. Then Allan Brauer RT’ed this:

Say no more.

Have you ever had the misfortune to read right winger Noah Rothman at Mediaite?

At times the guy makes Drudge seem reasonable – we’re talking a serious case of ‘Obama Derangement Syndrome’ here. Any way, feast your eyes on this exchange he had on Twitter with the Deadbeat Dad:

Isn’t that something? Walsh appreciates his friend’s work, and his friend says the feeling is mutual. Truly, you’d love to know precisely what aspect of Walsh’s work – well, before he was booted out by the electorate – Rothman so appreciates. Is it all those missed child support payments?

I laughed, but as ‏@wildcatatl put it, “truly disgusting”.

Nice pick, Mediaite.

Meanwhile, the good work goes on….

Steve Benen: Secretary of State John Kerry has been in office for a little less than six months, and in that time, he’s made six trips to the Middle East in the hopes of renewing peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians…..

And while this hasn’t generated much interest from the political world, Kerry’s diligence has been pretty remarkable. Earlier this month, the Secretary of State was in Israel for four days, leading “the most intense Middle East peace push in years.” He left without a renewal of talks, but insisted his efforts had yielded real movement and “real progress” had been made.

At the time, skeptics scoffed. The Times of Israel’s David Horovitz said three weeks ago, “This is the fifth bid by the leading diplomat of the world’s superpower to persuade these two people to go into a room together, and even that he cannot achieve. At some point it becomes embarrassing and humiliating for the United States.”

And yet, this afternoon, Kerry announced peace talks are prepared to resume for the first time in several years….

More here

Morning everyone.

118 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 4 nathkatun7
    July 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

Good Morning Chips! fabulous R/S! Thanks for all you do for us.

• July 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Ah, thank you so much Nathkatun – I’m sure I’ve missed lots of good stuff, but we’ll catch up through the day. Thank you again.

July 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Alma on #1! :)

Thanks amks for the great cartoon thread.

3. 7 Nena20409
    July 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

GM TODers.

July 20, 2013 at 9:56 am
    • 9 Nena20409
      July 20, 2013 at 10:05 am

Wow…..I am so sad to hear that. Months ago, I had seen a picture of her and she didn’t look well. I had no idea that she was in her 90s. May she Rest In Peace. She really helped Women in Journalism. She was one of the true real Journalists left. My deepest sympathy go to her family.

• July 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

You know why she left the WHPC ?

Enough said. My parents and grand-parents (not being Jews) have been exposed to enough of this nonsense due to the occupation by the Nazi regime of the Netherlands.

• 11 Nena20409
          July 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

I know why she was fired by Hearst in 2010. I didn’t agree with her firing. Ed Henry went to bat and was able to shame the WHPC to give her seat to Fox…..instead of NPR, PBS or Bloomberg News.

• July 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

Her comments that time were unforgivable and she deserved all the criticism she got, but I admired her passion for the Palestinian cause, she was one of the few high profile American commentators prepared to speak up for them. May she rest in peace.

5. July 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

Good morning Chips. You hit the ground running this fine Saturday morning. Have a wonderful day!

July 20, 2013 at 10:00 am
  7. 22 JER
    July 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

Good Morning Chips.

8. 24 99ts
    July 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

GM Ms Chips – you are keeping me sane – I foolishly ventured to HuffPo for a link & got even more annoyed than I have been for the past few days. Nice to come back here for the calm.

I was pleased to read that the WHPC had their noses out of joint because PBO didn’t give them due warning about his latest words. I would love that he never speaks to them again.

July 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

Why would they b upset because they didn’t get warning time? These people WHPC have gone pass foolish, they’re just stupid.

9. 26 daisydem
    July 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

Wow, reading about how and when the President decided to speak out about the Trayvon Martin verdict, that he did decide to speak out about it, makes it even more emotional, more personal, and even more important. He is so unbelievable. And this would be a good time to share what my son said about the President speaking out (we are white), but my son said that the President put into words what he has been hearing from his friends who are black ever since the verdict was handed down. This made my heart hurt and my eyes tear up. Thank you Mr. President, again. You spoke out for so many in this country, black and white.

10. 27 africa
    July 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

Morning all. There is so much in this article. Speaking to his own experience yesterday, not only did a prominent author mistake PBO for a waiter and asked him to fetch him a drink at a swanky party, the reporter also notes that when she pitched PBO story to a major magazine after talking to him, they rejected it.

• 28 mtmarilyn
      July 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

GM TOD family. All I can say is WOW, for all the posts and comments the last few days. My heart has been to heavy, I haven’t been able to express my thoughts and sorrow. Zizi’s post was to informative, I have passed it on to several.

Africa, you and your family are in my prayers. Please keep us informed about your husband.

• 29 HZ
        July 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm

(((((((((( I am sending you some hugs of sweetness, mtmarilyn.)))))))))))) I have been there also. I got up this morning determined to dance, dance, and dance some of it off that was weighing me down a little. Music and movements are two meds that I depend on in part of my space. My prayers and meditation go forth first then I enjoy the creations of Almighty’s choirs, soloists, orchestras, and masses of great musicians to lift our spirits.

(((((((((((((((((((((( Let the music ring out in your space my beautiful one)))))))))))))))))))))))HZ Plus, you do so much for people, so think on all the hearts you have lifted, mtmarilyn. Lots of love coming into your space, sweet and gentle spirit.HZ

11. 30 anniebella
    July 20, 2013 at 10:04 am

Do Joan Walsh work for Salon?

• July 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

Sure she does! Seems she was asleep at the wheel.

• 33 Nena20409
      July 20, 2013 at 10:10 am

Yes, and she is their Main Editor……..this shows how emoprogs are the same with teabaggers in their pure hatred towards pres Obama. GW Bush had relatives in the support of WWII……Salon didn’t question or referenced GW Bush’s “Nazism” shame on them. Salon hates AG Holder. Now we know what they think of him and pres Obama. Joan Walsh is officially dead to me.

• 35 Linda
      July 20, 2013 at 10:16 am

Did she hire GG to contribute there ? Since she was the editor until 2011…my guess is yes.

July 20, 2013 at 10:23 am

Both Hilary and Bill Clinton’s silence on the Trayvon Martin case & Verdict speaks volumes to me. Hillary Clinton tweets about Mandela & Malala, but has nothing to say about this issue that is near and dear to so many Americans. This is not simply a “Black” issue. It’s an AMERICAN issue. Even Nancy Pelosi weighed (positively) in yesterday on PBO’s remarks.

P.S. And lurking on TOD, and then quickly tweeting some obligatory platitude is not going to count either.

• 37 Nena20409
      July 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

Hillary Clinton at the DC speech before a prominent Black Women group…..she did a weak No Child in America should be afraid to walk home in our streets meme. It was at the same forum that AG Holder spoke on Tuesday. Her husband has said Nada.

• 51 nospin
      July 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I thought about that too but was not surprised.

July 20, 2013 at 10:24 am

MoooOOOOooorning, Chips Chica! :grin: :grin:
    (Your sneaking-in skills are top of the line!)

July 20, 2013 at 10:26 am

MMFlint just loves to jump on bandwagons for publicity – not that he does any real planning at the early stages.

15. July 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!!!

Chipsticks, thanks for all the great information, videos, and tweets you shared in the Rise and Shine this morning!

I wonder if at the J4TM rallies today, besides urging that the Justice Department investigate civil rights violations, whether organizers will also take this as an opportunity to educate as to why we are seeing some of the state laws/events that we are seeing and emphasize the importance of voting in 2014 to help turn the tide.

16. 58 Mellesia Barnett
    July 20, 2013 at 10:34 am

Good morning Chips and fellow TOD’ers

17. July 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love the part of the President’s comments reminding us all that this conversation should continue in our homes, churches and the workplace and that doing so we continue to become a more perfect union. I love this man more than life. He is my hero.

18. 60 Mellesia Barnett
    July 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

Helen Thomas has passed away

19. 61 arkluvspbo
    July 20, 2013 at 10:54 am

I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it again and again — I LOVE LOVE LOVE our President, and I LOVE the TOD Family. You all are so wonderful, so warm, so caring, compassionate, PASSIONATE, and brilliantly hysterical.
    Thank you for this safe haven.
    <3….MWAHHHHH

July 20, 2013 at 10:57 am

Great find Chiparoo. This is such an A-Ha moment. Explains a lot about the disgusting crap that has flowed from that site since the Zimmerman verdict. Explains a lot about why they mocked Trayvon Martin’s murder and why Joan Walsh gives it a pass. They are no different from Drudge and the others on the right.

Goldi Taylor nailed it with this tweet. There are some on the left who are just as poisonous as their counterparts on the right.

July 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

Jeeeeeeeeeeezus! WTF is wrong with people!!!!!!

• 67 lisalovesobama
      July 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

Oh my god! Is that real?! What the hell!

• 68 Nena20409
      July 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

Could she search his pockets? Excuse me? Based on what? Just her twisted delusion? Why would she think that KB took her iPhone? Honestly, that woman is evil.

If she was trying to be funny……she should know that Nothing is Funny about racism, bigotry or being a racist.

July 20, 2013 at 11:15 am

Holy helll!!!! WHAAAAAT???? I don’t even know what to say about that. Damn near took my breath away.

• 70 HZ
        July 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Good Morning DF. I hope all is well my sweet angel. You know when vileness lives in the heart, the mouth will certainly spew out shit that will stink up a room, a nation, a life, and a world. Keep moving unless we want to slap the crap out her. I must hold my tongue.HZ

July 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

I watch this white guy on MHP this morning were he was telling the story of how some policeman came up on him trying to get into his lock car, now that policeman didn’t question him about was that his car, but the policeman told him he wasn’t doing it right and went about trying to show him how to do it, they were not able to get into the car, so the policeman mention something about throwing a brick into the window so the man could get into the car. Now what do you think would have happen if that was a black man that policeman walked upon trying to get into that lock car, his lock car. That policeman would have assume that black man was breaking into the car, and made him give proof that was his car.

• 72 jackiegrumbacher
      July 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ayyyeee–unbelievable. I hope she was told where she could keep her hands.

• 73 nospin
      July 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I get what he is saying but what does PO’s speech have to do with this woman’s ignorance? I am interested in hearing his response to her and I hope that “did you hear PO’s speech” was not it.

22. 74 lisalovesobama
    July 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

So what is the Salon/ Benjamin situation about?

• July 20, 2013 at 11:08 am

You can read the piece here Lisa without giving Salon clicks:

• 76 lisalovesobama
        July 20, 2013 at 11:15 am

What. The. Fuck. Who the fuck is Benjamin and why the fuck would Salon print this mother£€#%ing trash? Unfuckingbelievable. You can’t trust the right or the left. Disgusting.

• July 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

I still can’t believe it Lisa, first Sirota’s race-baiting, now this.

• 78 lisalovesobama
            July 20, 2013 at 11:24 am

What do they say? Sunlight is the best disinfectant? Well apparently, black men in great positions of power is the best way to ferret out racists, even among people who one would assume are progressives. That article is beyond disgusting. Apparently, now you can go around calling one of the most powerful men in the country the n-word. I’m black and I don’t even use that nasty word, but apparently it’s okay for that fucking ingrate to sneer and call Holder that. Fucker.

• July 20, 2013 at 11:45 am

“…. black men in great positions of power is the best way to ferret out racists, even among people who one would assume are progressives.”

You are 100% spot on Lisa, and with every passing day these people’s masks slip a little more.

Because the staff at Salon is almost exclusively white, they needed to find themselves a black writer to produce yesterday’s venom, and the pathetic nobody that is Benjamin obliged. I mentioned yesterday that he lists Sirota on his website as one of his admirers (of his last book), wouldn’t be surprised if Sirota set up yesterday’s Salon gig for him.

They can all rot in hell.

• July 20, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I don’t really care if they get a black staff person or writer. They are dead to me. Never read it any way. Now I mute Joan Walsh when she’s on but I’ve quit watching those shows too. If they went offline I wouldn’t even notice.

• 81 forus50
                July 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

They are fully rotted here on Earth and the stench is overpowering.

At work and with family and friends I’m going to do as much as I can to reach out to those who are just now awakening to the realities of their possibly unknown biases and help them on the journey to enlightenment of equality, fairness, justice and love for all. But I’m not going to reach back into this pit of snakes, like Salon to try to get them to acknowledge their sick hatred. Maybe that’s the right thing to do but I just can’t.

• 82 Anna Luc
              July 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I am sure the Salon editors think they get a pass because they got David Sarota’s one black friend to play the “POTUS is not black enough card;” hence the need for Holder as a surrogate inner n-word. I am so sick of Salon’s Central Park West racisim.

July 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

People? Do better. On the one hand, this is a good country, on the other, this is a SICK country.

• 84 lisalovesobama
      July 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

He’s more polite than I would have been.

• July 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Read that earlier and it pissed me off. I’m not a get in your face type but this would have done it for me.

• 87 HZ
        July 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi gobrooklyn. I left a hug for you on the previous thread. ((((((( So good to see you and lots of healing loving hugs from me)))))))). I do understand your point. I am a peaceful, loving, and calm person, but that would have had to be a moment of “My precious angel of a mother, please come into my space now, please sweet mom, I need your precious guidance before I slap this woman.” That is what I carry with me daily.

My dear loving brother reminds me daily that I need to go deep within and pull up all that mother taught us to do in certain situations. Believe me where I live this act is very difficult., . She always said, ” Sweetheart, say what you feel will move the needle closer to a balance of the better spirit in you darling, the spirit of mama, grandmother, and grandfather. And just one day, just one day, hopefully that scale will become balanced because of your actions of calmness in a firmness of the spirit that we have taught you. Speak with love, and compassion, but speak firmly and make sure they see you looking them straight into their eyes with your head held high and your stance like a queen. That keeps me out of a lot of trouble, even now in my golden years.HZ

Please, Dudette, I need you. Would you put the version by Donny Hathaway: “Someday We’ll All Be Free.” It is on his “Flashback with Donny Hathaway. That song came up as I was sitting here writing this comment.

Please Dudette or other musicians in our TOD family. It will be good for all of us today as well. I love you all. I am crying now. HZ

24. 89 debz
    July 20, 2013 at 11:18 am

I have a question. Yesterday, more than 1 of our “journalist” commented that what PBO said yesterday was much better than his “disastrous” response to the ” Professor Gates issue”. I thought his answer was perfect. Anyone know what was so bad about it?

25. 92 dotster3
    July 20, 2013 at 11:21 am

One year ago today—-the Aurora, Co. mass shooting tragedy

26. 93 Nena20409
    July 20, 2013 at 11:25 am

I am sorry TODers, I refuse to read the Salon ugliness. It will be too upsetting. The headline was nauseating enough. Their excuse would be like Limbaugh’s? Somehow, Rachel Jeantel gave Salon permission to use the N word?

Wasn’t Joan Walsh one of those going bat poop about the Lack of Diversity……meaning women…..in their delusional views of Pres Obama’s cabinet members earlier this year?

The picture of Salon’s staffers spoke volumes.

27. 94 carolyn
    July 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

I am cautiously optimistic that the President’s speech yesterday is going to have long term positive effects in the white community.
    Last night we had dinner with a couple we haven’t seen for 8 or 9 years. He went to the same high school my husband attended, and now also lives in OKC part of the year and Florida part of the year. I remembered from our last dinner that he was pretty far right.

Toward the end of the dinner he asked if we had seen FIVE on Fox. I said simply, “We don’t watch Fox.” Evidently this group were discussing the president’s speech, and not all negatively. He said something like…..”I know how a black man thinks about….” I interrupted him and said looking straight at him: “You have no idea how a black man thinks. You can’t.” He actually said, “You’re right, but I’m trying.”
    That was a huge leap. I believe this speech has planted good seeds and will germinate in people.

Then, I said something about teaching and my students and how they looked at this whole issue completely differently from us. He acknowledged that was so, and I told him my story about my grandson’s best friend, and when my daughter in law met his best friend saw that he was AA, and when she questioned Eric why he not told her that…..he just said…Why should I? This man acknowledged he knew this to be the case. He has grandchildren the same ages as mine.

He then said how he doesn’t really trust academics (that’s me) we’re too liberal, and questioned a mutual colleague from high school whose writings my husband forwards to this man, which he finds very far left. My husband told him his wife is German, and lived under both Nazism and Communism. He thought she was too young to be under Nazism…..I reminded him that Hitler came to power in 1933, she was born around 1930…and then lived under Communism in East Germany. She had experienced both types of tyranny.

I think we gave him some more food for thought, and I know the president did.

• July 20, 2013 at 11:57 am

I certainly hope he’s learning and trying.

• July 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm

It did on MSNBC. It was covered in full after his speech. His early entrance seemed to have made it dramatic. There were a few reporters who made it about them being rushed to get in. Apparently they don’t show Jay much respect. They’re not that far away in their cubbyholes. They got a two min. Heads up, but it was only 90 sec. And Peter Alexander mentioned that to the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Sorry. That did irk me. Other than that it was good. I could nitpick and say some other things about a few complaints, but I can’t remember them. ;) David Gregory said something. It must not have been bad because I don’t remember anything about it. But they did have almost all black people. A new black women who I just saw yesterday. I’ll have to look her up. She said things I liked and things I wasn’t sure I agreed with. It was the OLD MSNBC. Except for Smerconish, but Joy Reid handle him. If I spelled Smerconish I don’t care teachers. They had a special and a repeat of Rev Al’s great interview with the parents. Chris Hayes didn’t host. I didn’t watch all of that. That’s all I have to say about that.

28. 98 JER
    July 20, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • 99 dotster3
      July 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

I saw Knoller’s tweet which informed of President Obama playing golf “despite the heat”. I have noted that all golfers play “despite the heat”, including the one who keeps hanging around my house. Have a fun and relaxing round, President Obama!

July 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

How good of a golfer is POTUS? I was thinking if he was any good, when he leave the White House he might play alittle professional golf.

• 102 forus50
        July 20, 2013 at 11:50 am

No, while he’s competitive in nature he’s not on that level. My guess is that he does it primarily to get some fresh air, good exercise and unwind with a few friends.

• 103 HZ
          July 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Forus50, you are very observant of POB. Those who are around him closely knows that your comment is so on point. Thank you.HZ

29. July 20, 2013 at 11:37 am

GM Chips, TOD…. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

30. 107 dotster3
    July 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

6 year old girl shot in chest in Chicago last night. She was on her scooter near where a memorial was being held for a shooting victim when a shootout occurred between rivals. Another innocent victim caught in gun violence crossfire.

31. July 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • 110 utaustinliberal
      July 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Bravo Chiparoo. Bravo. Their senior staff looks like a Politico roundtable and they criticize Pres. Obama? Hypocrisy, thy name is the American media.

July 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm

BOOM! Damn…the hypocrisy just reeks…

• 112 Nena20409
      July 20, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Love you to pieces Chips……You found their hellish post. Joan Walsh was on MSNBC spouting the indignity of POTUS and how he threw Dr. Rice under the bridge. Thank you so much for provide the facts for all to see. Thank you for tweeting it too.

32. 113 dotster3
    July 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

How could this have happened? School lunch prepared with oil contaminated with pesticides. Oil had been stored in a container that had previously held pesticides. What in the world?

July 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I posted a link from TP about this yesterday, but it’s so important, that it’s worth another look for those that missed it. Here’s Benen’s take on this:

This week, the religion, policy and politics project at Brookings Institution and the Public Religion Research Institute published a study with some unexpected results. The survey, co-authored by E.J. Dionne, William Galston, and PRRI leaders, document an important trend: religious social conservatives represent about 28% of the population, but they’re slowly being eclipsed by a younger, diverse group of religious progressives.

Religious progressives are significantly younger and more diverse than their conservative counterparts. The mean age of the religious progressive population is 44 — just under the mean age in the general population of 47 — while the mean age of religious conservatives is 53. Twenty-three percent of Millennials (ages 18-33) are religious progressives, while 17 percent are religious conservatives.

It’s a similar demographic issue that’s facing the Republican Party: among Americans 66 and older, 47% self-identify as religious conservatives and only 12% consider themselves religious progressives. Among Americans 33 and younger, religious conservatives not only trail religious progressives, the right also finds itself outnumbered by secularists.

Complicating matters, religious progressives are not only gaining a generational advantage, they’re also rejecting the basic foundation of conservatives’ religio-political activism: “Nearly 8-in-10 (79 percent) religious progressives say that being a religious person is mostly about doing the right thing, compared to 16 percent who say it is about holding the right beliefs.”

34. 115 Dudette
    July 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Rev Al speaking now; Trayvon’s family standing beside him — National Action Network Livestream

July 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm