Jul

A Message from Lisa, Tyren’s Mom

President Barack Obama signs a photograph as he greets people on the tarmac upon arrival at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, La., July 25, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

UT included the above photo in today’s R&S – the young man pictured is Tyren Edward Anthony Scott. Tyren’s mother Lisa contacted us at the time to let us know that Tyren was the same young man who asked the President “why do people hate you?’ at a town hall in New Orleans three years earlier:

“He was nine when he asked the President that question and in the latest picture he’s 12. President Obama stood there with us, talked for about three minutes, he remembered Tyren and signed an 11 x 14 picture of their first encounter.”

We sent our best wishes to Tyren, Lisa and all the Scott family this morning, so it was really lovely to receive this comment from Lisa:

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the great comments on my son Tyren Edward Anthony Scott.

Tyren starts school on Aug. 6. He’s now 13 and in the 8th grade.

Tyren and I are doing great. I visit the website several times a day and was surprised to see Tyren. He’s growing up to be a fine young man. I am not saying that because he is my son, I say that because he has a great heart. He was upset with the verdict in the Zimmerman trial. As a matter of fact after President Obama spoke on Friday he emailed the President on Sunday.

I had to have that talk with him on how to be careful especially as a young black teen.

He’s still very respectful (yes sir/no sir). Tyren is still a good student and he’s involved in the community. He loves people and he does not see color until it slaps him in his face. I had to tell him he is not a thug.

Tyren loves fishing, deer hunting, plays in high school band (sax), football, baseball and he still helps his Uncle Tweed with the chickens LOL.

I tell people all the time you can not raise a child by yourself. So I ask The Obama Diary family to keep us in your prayers.

LISA SCOTT

DARKNESS CANNOT DRIVE OUT DARKNESS; ONLY LIGHT CAN DO THAT.

HATE CANNOT DRIVE OUT HATE, ONLY LOVE CAN DO THAT.

125 Responses to “A Message from Lisa, Tyren’s Mom”

1. July 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Amen. NOLA representin.

2. July 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Spectacular thread, Chips!!!!

Dear Lisa and Tyren,
    Right there with you, in solidarity.
    #FORWARD Together

3. 9 GGail
    July 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Oh my goodness. I am so touched that she would take the time to send us a message of love. Yes, Lisa, we will keep you and Tyren in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Chipsticks for sharing!!

• July 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm

It was so lovely to hear from Lisa again, GGail, and wonderful to hear Tyren so doing so well. It’s utterly heartbreaking, though, that Lisa had to have that conversation with him after the trial, hard to take in.

• 11 utaustinliberal
        July 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thank you for this post Chips. It’s wonderful hearing from Tyren’s mom. I hope in some way that Pres. Obama’s words comforted Tyren and gave him some hope and belief that someday, our union will be perfected. Someday, people genuinely judge a person’s character and not treat him/her abominably due to skin color.

If Lisa (Tyren’s mom) is out there in TOD cyberspace, I wish her, Tyren, and the rest of the family all the best.

Thank you again Chips for the post.

• 13 GGail
        July 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes Chipsticks it is sad that we are still having that conversation, but I’m so glad that she knows it’s a MUST.
        We are strong enough to persevere.
        I hear the pride in her words about her baby growing up – that’s so sweet.

4. 14 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

See this Rhetoric?

• July 25, 2013 at 5:46 pm

They’re not going to stop anything. They need to give up on the ObamaCare hatred. Pathetic.

• 16 99ts
        July 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Rather sick (pun intended?) to have your main goal to stop people from access to health care – especially when you have the best – the absolute best – health care in the country.

Shame the media don’t make sure EVERY American knows who is trying to help them die when they get ill. They sure like advertizing “death panels” when Palin was screaming her lungs about such things.

5. July 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Ugh, speaking of Zimmerman verdict, this new juror coming out just seriously pissed me off. so this juror saying Zimm got away with murder…WTF! So the sole minority let the white jurors pressure her? also, if she believed Zimm “unintentionaly” killed Trayvon, don’t that make it manslaughter? I’m trying to be understanding, but this juror just made me mad. Is she saying then that she was “persuaded” to change

• July 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

yes she is…she probably was browbeaten into not changing her mind…but going along with the go along…other wise it would have been a hung jury..if she was intimidated…she should have notified the Judge…however, if this is the case…the time to speak out was before the verdict …not now…so now….it is best that she keep things to herself…

• July 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm

agreed prettyfoot.

I don’t see what’s her purpose at this point. this whole interview don’t make her look good at all. I’m with you she should just kept it moving…SMH

• 20 Mellesia Barnett
          July 25, 2013 at 6:25 pm

She should have stand her ground and not be swayed by others if she felt he was guilty. She said she fought to the end but they were only in deliberation for 15 or 16 hours or so. She contributed in Georgie getting away with murder so I don’t want to hear what she have to say at this point. Fighting would have involved maintaining her position for days and not wavering but she flinched an now Zimmerman is walking around playing superhero pulling people out of overturned vehicles but he was unable to get a 150 plus pound boy off him

• 21 Sandy1110
          July 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I’m at least glad to hear her ADMIT that he did get away with murder. The Zimmerman fans need that slap of reality, since they’re running around convincing themselves that Georgie was right to kill the scary black thug.

• 22 veryslowwriter
            July 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

I was on a jury trying a young man for aggravated assault. We ended up with 11 non-guilty and one guilty vote. There was no brow-beating or intimidation. Not even a lengthy deliberation. So we were a hung jury and a mistrial was declared. I think we were all OK with it because we did what we thought correct and the system could decide whether to retry him.
            I came away from the experience feeling good about the jury system but it sure has some big, supperating flaws.

6. July 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

How extraordinary is this….How far reaching is TOD….

Bless Tyren and his Mom , Lisa

7. 25 debz
    July 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm

A lovely message, Lisa. Happy that Tyren is doing so well. Blessings to both of you.

8. 26 jackiegrumbacher
    July 25, 2013 at 5:42 pm

How wonderful that Tyren’s mom, Lisa, stops here. And how even more wonderful that Tyren is growing into such a fine, smart young man. I know life won’t be easy, but I think Tyren’s mom can expect extraordinary things from him. All our love and support to this great family.

July 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

10. 28 Nena20409
    July 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Oh my Goodness. That is so wonderful. Mother and Son……and Mom is so proud and so appreciative.

Chips, You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Goooooooooooooooooooood.

11. July 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

ICYMI: The Official first trailer for the Mandela biopic starring Idris Elba has been released. What do we think?

12. 30 4morefor44
    July 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

excellent job, lisa and tyren!!

13. July 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

July 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

What a wonderful surprise to have that message from Lisa…telling us all about her beautiful son:) So glad to hear that Tyren is involved in many things…and thriving, with a thirst for justice and humanity, guiding him along. You’re a great mama, Lisa. Hugs to you for raising such a wonderful young man. Thank you so much for coming here…hug Tyren and hold him close. As one of my son’s first teachers told me when she knew early on how special he was…When he grows up, Tyren will BE someone very special. {{{{{ Tyren , Lisa}}}}}

15. July 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Oh my goodness, Lisa and Tyren, how absolutely wonderful to hear from you!!!! My heart breaks for the effects the Trayvon Martin verdict has had on so many young men and boys in our nation. But hearing about the good character of your wonderful son, who is so impressive and obviously very inquisitive and thoughtful, warms my heart and soul. Thank you so much for bringing us up to date on your family. You will always be in my highest thoughts for health, happiness and well-being. Much love to you both.

16. July 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

17. July 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I tweeted this out early this morning.

July 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

This is beautiful letter from Lisa! Thanks Lisa, for sharing your thoughts and your son with us. If Tyren is America’s future, then I’m very hopeful about this country. :)

19. July 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I love that little boy and loved the response even more. You have to know that fulfilling a vision requires the ability to not let anything negative stand in the way. That’s a powerful lesson for that little boy and all those who have seen the video.

20. July 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

A “southern strategy” for the 21st century

“I’m not easily dissuaded, so it’s not something that makes me shrink away, it makes me come out even stronger to say that I don’t think there’s anyone in Congress who has a stronger belief in minority rights than I do,” Paul said.

Only a blind white privileged person could possibly swallow that one. He’s not reaching out to blacks and Hispanics (who know better), he’s trying to assuage the discomfort white emos might feel in their support of him

21. 39 japa21
    July 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

22. 42 Dakota
    July 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

God Bless You Lisa and Tyren. Thank you Lisa, for taking the time to share with us at TOD the blessing that Tyren is to you, his community and the world.

23. 43 Linda
    July 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

WASHINGTON — Three undocumented immigrants delivered cantaloupes to Rep. Steve King’s (R-Iowa) office Thursday and called for his removal from the House Judiciary Committee after the lawmaker insisted that many Dreamers are involved in the drug trade.

The Dreamers delivered two cantaloupes to King’s staffers, but were not able to speak with the congressman because he was in a meeting.

“[King's staff] said we needed to make appointments,” Aguilar said. “But the congressman doesn’t make appointments to talk outrageously about our community, so we have to come in and deliver our message no matter what. We are here — 11 million of us — and we are here to stay because this is our home.”

Huffpuff

24. 44 dotster3
    July 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I likey——and I love who lives there!

July 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm

26. 49 sherijr
    July 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm

oh this is so special Chips, thank you for sharing Lisa’s comments… and ut – awesome that you showcased Tyren this morning. He sounds like a well rounded child with a warm and caring heart~ and that is what we all want for our children.

July 25, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Great ad for Allison Grimes in KY…..I hope she kicks turtle to the curb and gets KY moving in the right direction again…

28. July 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm

29. July 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm

ICYMI: Surprising no one but her most ardent defenderst, Paula Deen is actually a horrible human being. I’m not even sure who I’m madder at, this black woman, for letting Paula Deen essentially steal her secrets and pay her way less than she was worth, and yet she still seems to be trying to stay on Miss Paula’s good side even with all the shit…DAMN!

Paula Deen’s Cook Tells of Slights, Steeped in History

• 59 Claire
      July 25, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Her story made me think of the movie Imitation of Life… both versions. The black cook creates the recipe, does all of the hard work, yet the white woman is able to capitalize on her creation and become a multimillion. Of course the theme of the movie is not the same, but the white person making money off of the recipe and labor of the black person is the same.

July 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Dear Lisa and Tyren – How proud you must be! Just remember wherever you go in life, you go with our good wishes and prayers! Thanks for sharing your magnificent story with all of us.

Dear Chips – So glad to be part of YOUR blog, which attracts such delightful people and uplifting stories. Thanks!

31. July 25, 2013 at 6:58 pm

32. 69 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 25, 2013 at 7:03 pm

July 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, what do they care. They’ll cough up dollars to pay the fine, and then go “earn” more dollars out of our economy to replace those. The government goes ahead and makes the deal, to defray even further legal costs on the backs of taxpayers, plus get the corporation to own it so the “maximum fine” can be hurled at them.

This is what happens when corporations become people … the real people at Halliburton who made the decisions to destroy evidence are free to do it all over again. Or their replacements continue the practices, if there were the typical faux firings of the decision makers.

Without a care in the world.

33. 71 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Cantor: House won’t vote on clean debt limit extension in September
    By Pete Kasperowicz
    House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said Thursday that the House would not hold a vote on a clean debt-limit extension in September.

Cantor was asked by Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) whether that would happen, and made it clear it would not. “I would say … the answer to that last question is ‘no,’ ” Cantor said.

I hate like hell being right about this stuff, but Republicans are nuts!
    Hence…

34. 80 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

35. July 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

36. July 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hiya everyone, will have a bits and pieces post up next

37. July 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm

ugh, yeah it’s between Weiner and his wife, so dude…shut up about it already. Why the heck isn’t Weiner just sticking to the campaign stuff? Why is he still making statements and shit.. ugh. And I may be cynical, but where there’s 3 – 10, I’d bet more, I’m betting he’s not including the women he sent pics to unsolicited…Ugh. Anyway, I just wish dude would STFU about it. You know you can refuse to answer questions like that just keep it moving.

Weiner Says There are More Women

Anthony Weiner (D) “admitted this afternoon to engaging in lewd sexual exchanges with as many as three women after he resigned from Congress, now putting his total number of online sexual exploits at between six and 10,” Politicker reports.

“Mr. Weiner was once again mobbed by reporters as he attempted to regain his mayoral campaign’s precipitous footing in the wake of new revelations that his sexting continued well over a year after his resignation–and after he and his wife told People magazine he’d become a new man.”

July 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Working for the people!!

A U.S. regulator on Thursday said it reached an $885 million settlement with UBS over allegations the bank misrepresented mortgage-backed bonds that were sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac during the housing bubble.

Under the terms of the agreement with the Federal Housing Finance Agency, UBS must pay about $415 million to Fannie Mae and $470 million to Freddie Mac to resolve claims related to securities sold to the companies between 2004 and 2007. The Swiss banking giant did not admit to any liability or wrongdoing in settling the allegations. On Monday, it said it had reached an agreement in principle with the FHFA.

39. July 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Off topic:

July 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Well…he won’t be driving trains ANYMORE! High speed or otherwise. So needless and sad.

• 93 amk for obama
      July 25, 2013 at 7:46 pm

What a load bs. Where were the safety measures to prevent such ‘speeding’? Blaming the lowest at the totem pole has become the norm.

• 94 Layla
        July 25, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Exactly AMK. I just came back from Lac-Megantic to visit with friends and families of my deceased friends…it is just a mess there!

• 95 amk for obama
          July 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Sorry again about your loss.

• 96 Layla
            July 25, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I am outta here!

• 97 Layla
              July 25, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Chips, I have tried to fit in around here but it seems to be an impossible task. I understand that you guys have a long history together but I really do feel ignored. Maybe I do not have any interesting things to say according to TOD standards. I feel bad about this because I just love President Obama and was happy to find a site where everyone supported him. Just read above as an example, lots of empathy there! Anyway just remove my name from your authorization list. TY for all you do for the President.

• 100 cookemom
      July 25, 2013 at 8:00 pm

How irresponsible to speed, but truly amazing to have bragged about such disregard for the lives in his care.

July 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hammer’s coming down….

Prosecutors indicted billionaire Steven A. Cohen’s hedge fund for insider trading, a rare move that could end the career of one of Wall Street’s most successful investors and trigger a fundamental change in how traders try to gain an edge over rivals.

The government accused SAC Capital Advisors LP of presiding over a culture where employees flouted the law and were encouraged to tap their personal networks of contacts for inside information about publicly traded companies.

The result was “insider trading that was substantial, pervasive and on a scale without known precedent in the hedge fund industry,” the indictment said.

While not personally charged criminally, Cohen joins junk bond financier Michael Milken and Galleon Group hedge fund founder Raj Rajaratnam among prominent Wall Street executives who have been linked to insider trading.

The indictment filed by the U.S. Department of Justice against SAC, together with a related civil case seeking forfeitures and money laundering penalties, imperils the future of the roughly $15 billion hedge fund.

It also may end Cohen’s career of managing outside money, where he generated some of the hedge fund industry’s best returns and became one of the foremost traders of his generation.

• 102 99ts
      July 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hedge funds – bet on people/companies/whatever LOSING. Why they are legal is beyond my understanding.

41. July 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Upthread, japa inspired a couple of tweets – wonder if the day will arrive when, as opposed to the past 5 years, tweets and other messages like this will no longer be necessary ….

#FORWARD

July 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

43. July 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

This is a great article: Ramadan: Why I gave up on fasting.

To our observant Muslim readers: may you have a sumptuous feast awaiting you tonight.

July 25, 2013 at 7:53 pm

fedex lost again against double digit seeded player. dood, retire with dignity.

45. 109 mtmarilyn
    July 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

What a wonderful letter from a beautiful mother and her son. He is the future of America. Thank you Chips for such a great way to end my day.
    Sometimes I get so discouraged with all that is going on in the States and Congress I feel overwhelmed. Then the stories come about Tyren and we must keep working for his future.

46. July 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Hmmm, so the story the RWNJ are using to smear Obama’s statement on the Zimmerman verdict, may turn out to be another “Susan Smith”-type of case.

Sherry West, Antonio Santiago: GBI finds traces of gunshot residue on Brunswick, Georgia parents

Hmmm.

47. July 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm

48. July 25, 2013 at 8:02 pm

If gun violence is to be abated, officials said, the city requires a long-term, holistic approach that addresses poverty, joblessness, and the disproportionate likelihood that young African American males will be the victims and perpetrators of crime.

*****************************************

Something about this statement troubles me….makes it sound like the only folks committing crime are black youth…….

keeping an eye on this…

49. July 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

50. July 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm

someone sounds a lil upset…natch

51. July 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm

this is the one….knoller seems just a lil peeved

52. 121 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm

The city of Compton, California has a cricket club, and it has been changing the lives of young people in the area since 1995. Story at: http://thegrio.com/2013/07/25/compton-cricket-club-offers-alternative-to-gangs-for-la-teens/

July 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Cheyenne Woods has set her sights on making a major impact as she aims to prove her uncle is not the only family member who excels on the golf course.

Cheyenne, niece of 14-time major winner Tiger, says she is honoured to be related to the men’s world number one.

But she is intent on making a name for herself, starting by qualifying for the British Open in early August.

“It’s an honour to have the last name Woods but I want to be known for my own golf,” the 23-year-old told BBC Sport.

July 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm