Jul

Rise and Shine

President Obama speaks about the economy during a visit to Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, July 24

Presidential Daily Schedule (All Times Eastern)

10:15: President Obama holds a bilateral meeting with President Truong Tan Sang of Vietnam

11:30: The President departs the White House

1:25: Arrives Jacksonville, Florida

1:55: Tours the Jacksonville Port Authority

2:35: Delivers remarks

3:40: Departs Jacksonville

5:35: Arrives the White House

8:45: Hosts an Iftar dinner

Knox College, July 24

Steve Benen: After a whole lot of buildup from the White House, President Obama delivered one of those rare speeches that has its own name: “A Better Bargain for the Middle Class.”

… This was a very forward-thinking speech. While Republican leaders regularly present a vision of a different kind of America – one without a safety net, without access to affordable health care, without retirement security, without education, without environmental protections, without the right to organize or bargain collectively, but plenty of Ayn Rand-approved “freedom” – this was the president’s opportunity to sketch out a more progressive alternative.

…. what Obama thinks should be next is a center-left approach, built on the belief that lasting prosperity comes from an economy that rejects a top-down model in which we help the rich and wait for wealth to someday trickle down, but focuses instead on a “middle-out” model that emphasizes the middle class. (The president used the phrase “middle class” 25 times in this speech.)

If the president’s detractors have anything even remotely as compelling, I’m eager to see it.

Full post here

Statement by the President on Student Loans

A better bargain for the middle class means making a college education available to every single American willing to work for it.  That’s why I applaud the wide bipartisan majority of Senators who passed a bill to cut rates on nearly all new federal student loans, rolling back a July 1st rate hike and saving undergraduates an average of more than $1,500 on loans they take out this year.

This compromise is a major victory for our nation’s students.  It meets the key principles I laid out from the start: it locks in low rates next year, and it doesn’t overcharge students to pay down the deficit.  I urge the House to pass this bill so that I can sign it into law right away, and I hope both parties build on this progress by taking even more steps to bring down soaring costs and keep a good education – a cornerstone of what it means to be middle class – within reach for working families.

Norm Ornstein: The Unprecedented — and Contemptible — Attempts to Sabotage Obamacare

Doing everything possible to block the law’s implementation is not treasonous — just sharply beneath any reasonable standards of elected officials.

When Mike Lee pledges to try to shut down the government unless President Obama knuckles under and defunds Obamacare entirely, it is not news—it is par for the course for the take-no-prisoners extremist senator from Utah. When the Senate Republicans’ No. 2 and No. 3 leaders, John Cornyn and John Thune, sign on to the blackmail plan, it is news — of the most depressing variety.

I am not the only one who has written about House and Senate Republicans’ monomaniacal focus on sabotaging the implementation of Obamacare — Greg Sargent, Steve Benen, Jon Chait, Jon Bernstein, Ezra Klein, and many others have written powerful pieces. But it is now spinning out of control.

It is important to emphasize that this set of moves is simply unprecedented….

More here

Robert Plumber, a Korean War Vet who was one of the first African-American Navy UDT divers (AKA Frogmen, the precursors to the US Navy SEALs), talks about the importance of defending Voting Rights after being arrested with Rev. Barber and dozens of others at the 12th Moral Monday action in Raleigh, North Carolina. Plumber, a veteran of the Civil Rights Movement was arrested previously with Dr. Martin Luther King.

This is IMPORTANT. If you are a TOD Twitterer, join and help President Obama. All hands on deck for 2014:

bs130723

The Obama Administration Looking Out For Americans

All Gov: Having settled one water pollution case, an Exxon subsidiary is now facing a federal lawsuit alleging its hydraulic fracturing operations contaminated water supplies in Pennsylvania. XTO Energy is accused of polluting groundwater with fracking waste from its natural gas well pad and storage facility in Hughesville, Lycoming County, according to the lawsuit. The U.S. Department of Justice claims XTO Energy allowed flowback fluid and wastewater byproduct to reach water supplies. The complaint says that “flowback fluid and produced fluid contain brine, proppant, hydraulic fracturing chemicals, dissolved solids, heavy metals and radionuclides.”

The litigation comes only days after the Exxon subsidiary agreed to pay a $100,000 fine and to spend $20 million to improve wastewater management practices involving its Pennsylvania and West Virginia natural gas operations. The improvements are to include installation of an alarm system that will warn plant operators of onset of spills. In the settled legal case, the Justice Department and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency cited a Pennsylvania Department of Environment Protection inspector’s visit to XTO’s Penn Township plant, where wastewater was seen spilling from an open valve from a series of interconnected tanks. The identical combination of pollutants was found in a Susquehanna River basin tributary, which was traced back to the XTO plant.

More here

Reuters: General Motors Co (GM.N) on Thursday posted a higher-than-expected quarterly profit on strong demand in North America. Revenue rose 4 percent to $39.1 billion, above the $38.37 billion analysts had expected.

In May GM reported a stronger-than-expected first-quarter profit as it kept a tight grip on costs in its North American and European businesses. That grip was still in place in the second quarter in Europe, where the company cut $400 million in costs compared with a year earlier. Ammann said GM continues to be aggressive in those efforts. GM’s North American business had operating earnings of almost $2 billion in the latest quarter, easily topping the $1.75 billion that nine analysts polled by Reuters had expected. Ammann said the U.S. market remains robust

More here

President Barack Obama signs a photograph as he greets people on the tarmac upon arrival at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, La., July 25, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

The boy in the photo is Tyren Edward Anthony Scott, remember him from 2009?

Tyren’s mother Lisa contacted TOD at the time of the photo to let us know: “He was nine when he asked the President that question and in this latest picture he’s 12. President Obama stood there with us, talked for about three minutes, he remembered Tyren and signed an 11 x 14 picture of their first encounter.”

Hope Tyren, Lisa and all the Scott family are doing well.

150 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Betsy
    July 25, 2013 at 9:25 am

good morning UT, Chips and fellow TODers,

I hope you all have a great day.

2. July 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

Good Morning UT, TODers…Everyone!

Everyone have a fantastic day! And find something to smile about! :-D

• 7 arkluvspbo
      July 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Swbluega,
      Barack Hussein Obama is our president, that is reason enough to smile. I also have my health, a wonderful family, an awesome pup, fantastic friends, a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food in my belly, a job that I love and a future that’s filled with awesomeness. I guess I have a lot to smile about :D

It’s so nice to converse with happy, intelligent people.
      ARK :)

• 8 utaustinliberal
        July 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

This was a lovely comment to read. Wishing you and yours the best! :D

• 9 arkluvspbo
          July 25, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, ut! That means a lot to me that you say that. All the best to you, as well. :D

• July 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm

ARK, you have it all right. When we start counting the blessings we have, we realize that we have soooooooo much to smile about. It’s the simple, uncomplicated things in our lives that make us the happiest. :-D

Thanks for the reminder that we don’t really have to “FIND” something to smile about.

3. 12 japa21
    July 25, 2013 at 9:33 am

Just a little late. Not too bad. Busy reading the article referenced in this tweet. One of the most reasonable ones I have read not written by Bob Cesca.

The title itself told me it would be good.

• 13 arkluvspbo
      July 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I like Bob…he seems to be the most honest journalist out there. Matt Tabibi I’ve always been on the edge about, but definitely Bob…he calls out Dems and repubs, and is definitely a supporter of the president. Unlike Jason Linkins or Sam Stein.

4. July 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

Agenda of the GOP has evolved from OBstruction to DEstruction.

TOON: http://assets.amuniversal.com/460f8150d6c90130f9fa001dd8b71c47?width=750

• 15 99ts
      July 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

Why was it OK to fund infrastructure in the 1950s/60s – but now it is the worst thing in the world – are the GOP in favor of reverting to the world of the 1700s when most travel was on foot & most people died within a few miles of where they were born?

I don’t think there is another congress/parliament in the world – that refuses to fund anything other than its own expenditures and war.

• 16 japa21
        July 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

As long as there is an AA Democrat in the WH, the answer to your question is yes.

• July 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Does this go beyond preventing job creation? Is Detroit an indication of what they hope to achieve by allowing the infrastructure to crumple and thus, creating distressed areas throughout the US?

• 18 99ts
          July 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

The more distressed an area – the more crime is often the result – and therein lies the other love of the GOP – making sure the working poor and unemployed spend time in jail – noting that many states have laws that do not allow people with criminal records to vote. I should have included jails as an area that the GOP seems happy to fund.

If the GOP succeeds in defunding food assistance – there could be a massive upsurge in crime – what are the alternatives when you cannot feed your children – and there is no legal way to overcome the lack of food?

It is well known that PBO is doing all he can to avoid such catastrophic outcomes – his success will be the country’s success – it just seems unbelievable that the elected representatives of the people would fight against those very people who voted for them???

When the media wakes up (took them 6 years to realize that GWB was not the savior of the free world) perhaps the people will talk with their votes.

• 19 Jovie
        July 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Because Evangelicals and Wealthy Libertarians are the money!
        They do what they want, hence…

July 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

G’morning UT, Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Betsy on #1 :) Thanks UT for this wonderful R & S! Looking forward to seeing our President in Jacksonville later today. :)

6. 21 Mellesia Barnett
    July 25, 2013 at 9:41 am

Good Morning UT fellow TOD’ers

7. 22 JER
    July 25, 2013 at 9:44 am

8. 23 jackiegrumbacher
    July 25, 2013 at 9:45 am

Terrific roundup, UT, and great links. I’m glad that the US auto industry is doing so well, but I wish they would invest a little in Detroit to bring it back to life. That would be a proud achievement for the industry. As for 2014, those of us in states with horrific Republican governors have been angry for a long time and many are highly motivated to vote them out. When people make predictions about the House/Senate in 2014, they forget how many of these vile governors are also up for re-election. I can assure you that in PA, people are more than eager to shove the door in Corbett’s face. Whatever motivation it takes to get people to the polls, use it. We need to replace our Republican governors, legislatures, US congressmen and senators or we will face decades of stagnation and regression. The president can’t do it alone. In addition to working with PBO, work the ground. Help out at local fairs, attend events where you can register voters or spread the word. People to people–on the ground–makes all the difference.

• 24 99ts
      July 25, 2013 at 9:51 am

In past times the great companies did invest in their cities and their people. Now they pay their senior staff and throw a few pennies to their shareholders. Such is what Reagan introduced to the world – ably assisted by Thatcher.

In the 1960s I worked in a company town – it was a mining town & the company built the houses, shopping centers, movie theaters, sports grounds etc etc. Today, the mining companies do nothing – they fly their employees in and out – leaving the spouses and families to pay exorbitant rents to landlords making a fortune because the mining companies don’t care about the towns, the workers, the families.

9. July 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

I have been spending VERY limited time watching any of the MSM programs. Even though I’m pretty certain about the answer to this one, I’ll ask anyway…

Other than opportunities to criticize or include negative rebuttal from the RWNJ’s, has there been any coverage by the MSM on either of President Obama’s speeches from yesterday?

• 26 carolyn
      July 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

We watched NBC news last night, and yes, they covered the president’s speech in Galesburg; in fact, it was the lead story…good coverage, until upchuck got on with his polls. I walked out of the room at that point. He totally nauseates me. Naming of the prince actually didn’t come in until about 15 minutes in, and then only briefly. I bet they got many complaints about the time allotted to that for two nights. I know I wrote, and I wrote CBS and ABC too.

• 27 japa21
        July 25, 2013 at 9:58 am

Get me some smelling salts. They actually practiced journalism, at least up to a point?

• July 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

“…until upchuck got on with his polls” Oh well…getting the coverage that you saw is a welcome surprise.

The coverage of the royals has been a gift to comedians, comedy writers, and political cartoonists.

• July 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

On MSNBC, I saw Al Sharpton covering them yesterday.

10. July 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

HIdee ho O, O, O’s!!!!! Another great getting up day again eh?

PBO is showing us and warning his opposition that we’re about to see the iron fist in the velvet glove that VPJB told us about. The pundits are going bonkers as usual. The ‘pubs continue to cross the line with every constituency group they claim to want in their tent. The ‘progs are just doing what they’ve always done, bash until the next Ralph Nadar comes along.

We’re still the ones we’ve been waiting for and must continue to recognize and block out the distractions so that we have an amazing GOTV for 2014.

11. July 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

Another gem, thank you UT!!!!!!!!!!! Morning everyone!

12. 34 japa21
    July 25, 2013 at 9:52 am

• 35 pkayden
      July 25, 2013 at 10:06 am

And also for them to explain whether they were against it under the Bush Administration as well. Did those in Congress running their mouth vote against the Patriot Act in 2006?

13. 36 dotster3
    July 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m smiling about my mom’s 96th birthday today! She was born in 1917—-yikes! Allow me a little tribute. She grew up on a farm in Iowa, her dad immigrated from Sweden when he was 16 and began farming. She was allowed to proceed at her own pace at her country school and by age 18 had a 2 yr. community college teaching degree and was teaching all grades at a 1-room school. A big highlight was when the First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, waltzed in unannounced with her entourage one day, observed my mom teaching, rural education being one of her interests and chatted with my mom about what she needed and her thoughts on ways to improve rural education. As luck would have it, a handsome young guy was running the general store/gas station kitty corner from my mom’s school at the 4 way intersection—–and she was a pretty young thing herself, they fell in love (good thing too because the selection was limited in that area), both had the last name Larson, and they got married and had 2 much loved daughters—-I”m one of them! They eventually settled in Mason City, Iowa, where I grew up healthy and happy in that fairly progressive place for its time. I always tell my mom that one of the best things she ever did for my sister and me was to take us to the library every week throughout our childhood—–for story hour and to check out books—-began a lifetime love of reading and books. My mom began a business there which became so successful—-she worked long and hard—–that my dad joined in, and they rode that into retirement. Mom and dad were married for 60 loving years before my dad passed away a few years ago. She now lives in a senior housing center in Florida, still active and sharp for her age——participates in all their activities—-bingo, sing alongs and mental gymnastics, which I have observed and have seen her fire back the answers to questions lickety split. She also signs up for all their outside excursions—-recent trips to Cirque de Soleil, dinner theatre and lunch at Joe’s Crab Shack. I am sad I can’t be with her today—she’s in Fl., I’m in Illinois—–but she is going out for a bday lunch with my sister and family, who live there——and her 94 year old boyfriend! Happy Birthday to my mom!

• July 25, 2013 at 9:58 am

What a terrific tribute – your mom sounds like a wonderful person! Happy Birthday to her from Iowa – tell her we miss her back here!

• July 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Dotster, that is the sweetest tribute EVER!!! What a remarkable, loving woman your mother sounds, the warmest of happy birthdays to her!!

• 39 sherijr
      July 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Happy 96th Birthday to your very special mom Dotster! How lucky you are :) :)

• 40 pkayden
      July 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Happy B’Day to your mum. Love that she has a boyfriend!

• 41 57andfemale
      July 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

This is a beautiful tribute, dotster. Wish her a happy birthday from all of us at TOD!

• 42 99ts
      July 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

What a wonderful story Dotster – and such memories it brought to me. My Dad was born in 1917 – and he also became a teacher. He was brought up (with a brother) by his widowed mother & when I asked him what they lived on – he said “I honestly have no idea, but I was very good at catching rabbits and she was very good at cooking them”.

My dad went to school whenever he didn’t have a job (depression years) & when he passed his final year – it was suggested he become a country school teacher – no training required. The parents had to provide a schoolroom & his accommodation & the government paid him one shilling a day per pupil who attended. My dad was very good at rounding up the students – no-one was allowed to miss a day! :)

Thank you so much for sharing & also for reminding me of some wonderful past times in my life. It is wonderful to hear of all that your Mum is achieving.

• 43 KrisisBusy
        July 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Well Dotster, you should know that your mother’s great-granddaughter Sydney was at the public library this very evening, per her own request! She loves the library’s Teen section, and the events they have there. She also dreams of being a teacher someday, and would choose “the country” over the hustle-bustle of the city any day. Three generations later and yet so much the same.

• 44 0388jojothecat
      July 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Happy Birthday to you Mother. She was a pioneer of her time to achieve what she has at such a young age and in my opinion next to motherhood, teaching is one of the most rewarding professions and I tip my hat to them. God Bless your mom and may she have many more……

• 45 Judith Fardig
      July 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

Your mom sounds incredible!! No wonder you are the caring person we have come to know here, Dotster3!

• 47 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      July 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

Happy Birthday, Dotster’s Mom! May you continue to be Blessed with Love, Peace and Joy!

• 48 jackiegrumbacher
      July 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

Beautiful, dotster. She sounds like a wonderful mother and a great lady.

• 49 GGail
      July 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

dotster3, I hope I’m not to late to wish your mother a very happy birthday! This is a touching tribute – filled with love and pride.

July 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

What a beautiful, captivating story, dotster:) Very happy birthday to your amazing mom today:) Life is good.

July 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

What a full and fulfilling life, Mrs. Lawson! From your daughter’s description of you I feel sure you are enjoying each minute of your special day – “Happy Birthday!”

• 52 arkluvspbo
      July 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Bless her heart, she sounds like a pistol! Love her already. :). She seems to be a true testament that if you feel young, you are young — age is nothing but a number.

14. 53 Allison
    July 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder speaks in Philadelphia at the National Urban League’s annual conference.

15. July 25, 2013 at 9:54 am

Ohhhmahgerd, ut – AWESOME R&S!! So much great info.

AND how I dearly love young Tyren Edward Anthony Scott and his family. That was such a seminal moment in the campaign. The question he asked could be asked every single day. At such a young age, he perceived what we all feel every single day – the goodness of our POTUS in the midst of horrific slime.

16. 61 japa21
    July 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

17. July 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

July 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

UGH…Was this at the WHCD earlier this year?

• July 25, 2013 at 10:23 am

Ha, yes Hopefruit!! Just found a whole bunch of photos from the dinner that I don’t *think* we saw before, will post a little later.

This is the one that ruined my morning:

July 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

OY… WTF is this….

What is O’Reilly …

WTF?!?!? *@#$%&^!*@#

• 72 cookemom
          July 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

Here’s how I see this picture. It speaks volumes about our PBO and FLOTUS. It speaks to their achievements in face of what Bill represents. It’s a reminder that even though people like him tried and continue to try and defeat this man, he is their President. PBO and FLOTUS get to genuinely smile with each other and bask in the success they worked so hard for. Bill gets to pretend that he is enjoying this moment. He is the one in an awkward position, not them. I look at this as a RWNJ nightmare photo. One of their spokespersons cheesing it up with the Obama’s in a subservient position.

• 76 Nena20409
          July 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

NoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooHell, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The hypocrisy of these arses. He goes and had his pictures taken with the president……..and chides him daily. Rusbo did the same thing many years ago with Clinton……Rushbo claimed Clinton approached him in a restaurant in NY at his table…..I believed him for Clinton loves to be needy Not This POTUS or his Wife…….This wicked Bill O’Reilly approached them as he did in 2008 during the presidential election with his foolish antics:

Fox and O’Reilly’s version:

What actually happened:

• 77 arkluvspbo
            July 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Bill O’Liely is the biggest baby in hollywood. Only a bully pushes someone for no reason. Love how then-Senator Obama shakes his hand and greets him warmly. That’s the way to handle a bully.

• 78 arkluvspbo
          July 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I hope the Obamas took a shower after this…blech!!

• 79 arkluvspbo
      July 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Um…wait a minute — did he EAT the president or something…good god he looks like a gopher.

18. 80 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Rand Paul for Minorities!!

Oh boy oh boy…!

July 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

20. 89 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

But…

• 90 pkayden
      July 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

But the challenge will end up back in front of the Supreme Court unfortunately. Let’s see where this goes.

• 91 Jovie
        July 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

Maybe one of the conservative judges will croak?

Jk

• 92 0388jojothecat
        July 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Maybe they can get a Federal Injunction to stop these laws from being implemented until after the 2014 election.

• 93 jackiegrumbacher
          July 25, 2013 at 11:59 am

There you go, jojo. We got an injunction in PA that stopped the voter ID law from being implemented during 2012. It made a huge difference.

21. 94 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

22. 95 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

RT

23. 96 Mellesia Barnett
    July 25, 2013 at 10:12 am

This is hilarious

July 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

YES! YES! YES!

July 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

Excellent! No wonder Holder is hated by these emo-Libertarians trying to hide and pretend they are liberal….

• 99 ericfive
        July 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Race and racial identity trumps political affiliation. Just as there are/were racist socialists and communists, there are racist (or white supremist) progressives. PBO winning a second term has caused a racial freak out not seen since Reconstruction. Reading pundit articles and accompanying comment sections, it seems that the racial hatred and anger is very onesided (whites hating on black people, not very much blacks expressing hatred of whites).

• 100 57andfemale
      July 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

This is important, of course. The problem is, because of the SC ruling the laws are in place and active unless the lawsuits are successful. Before this outrageous decision (“racism is dead. Long live racisim”) the government could stop these laws from being implemented in the first place. So it’s a much heavier lift.

• 101 ericfive
        July 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

A court can still impose an injunction stopping the law from going into effect until the court cases are decided. Not as good or robust protection as preclearance under section 5, but still an effective way to combat the corrupt SC decision.

• 102 57andfemale
          July 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm

That’s encouraging. Frankly, I should have thought about an injunction. But alas, it’s still a heavier lift than before.

July 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

Now you know why Issa and the Republicans did all they could to get rid of AG Eric Holder.

25. 104 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Jim Van Den Hei- the Presidents got nothing to do bc the House won’t pass anything.-

So, the President has got nothing to do?
    Really?

26. 105 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:22 am

27. 106 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

28. July 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

That you UT for posting the video and a current picture of Terrance who asked PBO “why do people hate you”? It brought tears to my eyes because he answered him in a respectful grownup way that a 4th grader (and adults) could understand. He assured young Terrance that he does have a whole lot of folks who love him and voted for him, Young Terrance is in the 7th grade now, I pray that he GOD watches over this sweet young man and our President.

29. 109 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:30 am

Now see? But UT found that GM had a great quarter? So which is it?
    I often find opposite news facts on twitter and headlines just like this, nobody knows what true anymore! :(

30. 115 57andfemale
    July 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

I guess Howard Dean was doing his best Ed Rendell impersonation this morning on Morning Joke, saying corporate taxes should be lower and corps should be able to bring back their offshore loot, penalty and tax free.

Buried in the Orange Satan post was a fact I did not know: Howard Dean has been an undisclosed lobbyist for years. Here’s a link to a year-old story that talks about his corporate clients.

• 116 Linda
      July 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

Interesting…Howard Dean is also a paid contributor to CNBC…

I always found that puzzling until now.

• 117 57andfemale
        July 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Amazing, huh? And if people like us who are engaged didn’t know about this, he did a damn good job playing a liberal on TV, mixing in DLC and Republican b.s., knowing that his audience might give it more credence if it came from him. I have officially lost all respect for Howard Dean.

31. 118 57andfemale
    July 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

32. 119 debz
    July 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

Good morning! Wonderful R&S roundup!

33. 120 Jovie
    July 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

• 121 57andfemale
      July 25, 2013 at 11:35 am

There was an announcement of a major transportation job in IL as well – changing a major bottleneck in the expressway system. Four-year project, but I forget how much. Hundreds of millions for sure.

34. 122 57andfemale
    July 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

July 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

I have never seen a group of nasty, mean, down right evil Republicans like these ones. I left out racists, because they are racists too.

35. 124 57andfemale
    July 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

July 25, 2013 at 11:46 am

The MSM’s propping of Hillary has nothing to do with Hillary; has EVERYTHING to do with Obama and their deep-seated jealousy, resentment and racism.

• 127 Jessica
      July 25, 2013 at 11:49 am

Excuse me Reid, WTF is this!!! You can barely pass anything in a Democratic majority, you should be embarrased to have these words even leave your lips.

July 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

Even if Reid thought this, what is the purpose of saying it? I will be sending his office a email, NOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 129 Linda
          July 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Remember this from 2008 ???

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who, it was revealed, privately stated that he believed Barack Obama was well suited to a presidential run because he is a “light-skinned” African American “with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

White people don’t hear themselves when they say things like this.

July 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Anniebella, the Hill (deliberately) misquoted Reid it seems, when Reid said Bill Clinton, and not President Obama. They just changed the article – if you click on the link, you will not see anything about Obama in the headline or article. But it was there initially.

This is not a mistake – this was deliberate. And it basically proves my initial reaction, that this is not about Hillary Clinton – it’s about the MSM’s disgusting and petty resentment of President Obama.

• 131 nathkatun7
            July 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Hopefruit, I am glad you clarified this. But as usual people here who hate Sen. Reid were ready to attack him. I wish we would all wise up about the mainstream media’s goal of promoting divisions within the Democratic party.

• 132 MaewholoveourCIC
        July 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

The article stated that Reid is talking about Bill Clinton!!!!!

July 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Good catch Mae – but the article was just changed….at first it DID say that it was President Obama….

Obviously the Hill has some ‘splaining to do….

• 134 donna dem 4 obama
            July 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

They sure do and for the record “The Hill” is a right wing rag. I know that some feel that because they quote folks up on Capitol Hill that it must be legit but they are crap and their comment section is worse than HP and Politico put together.

• 135 donna dem 4 obama
      July 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Okay I just read this article and NO WHERE in this article does Harry Reid say that Hillary Clinton could handle things “even better” than Obama. He said, “she could handle things probably even better” than her husband, former President Bill Clinton, if she’s elected to the White House.

This is total BS on the part of “The Hill” and I am no HRC fan but this is ridiculous on its face!!!!!!!!

July 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hi Donna,
        When I first clicked on the link, it appears that the author had inserted President Obama’s name everywhere you see references to Bill Clinton. Then at some point – they must have quietly changed it.

Here is the transcript of the actual interview. Notice that the PBS’ headline has nothing about Hillary. In the Hill’s rush to stick it to PBO, they misinterpreted Reid’s reference to “him” as meaning President Obama.

Here is the PBS Headline & segment from the transcript:

HEADLINE: Senate Majority Leader Reid: ‘We Should All Work Together

// JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally, 2016, forgive me. In 2008, Senator, you were one of the first prominent figure in Washington to come out for then-Sen. Barack Obama for president, choosing him over Hillary Clinton. Of course, we know what happened. Should she run in 2016, and if she did, do you think she would win the election? What do you think her chances are?

HARRY REID: Hillary Clinton may have a bigger fan than Harry Reid; I just don’t know who it would be. I think that what she did as a senator, what she did as secretary of state will go down in history books as a remarkable, remarkable job that she did. I, of course, have such admiration for the president. Remember, the last three or four years he was here we reduced the debt and created 22 million jobs – pretty good deal. And I think that they’re a pretty good team, but she’ll handle things probably even better than he did.

JUDY WOODRUFF: Oh, is that right? Even better?

HARRY REID: Oh, yeah.

JUDY WOODRUFF: Would you like to see her run?

HARRY REID: I don’t know what more I can say than — to be a cheerleader for — than what I’ve already said in this interview. //

• 137 57andfemale
        July 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I had posted a nasty tweet to Reid and then read the rest of the thread and deleted it. I’m not exactly a Harry Reid fan, but he doesn’t deserve the bad rap on this one. The Hill, on the other hand, is completely shameful.

I’m so old, I remember when such an error would have ruined someone’s career in journalism. Now it’s just another day at the MSM.

• 138 ericfive
      July 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

HF, “Briefing Room” is LYING in its headline. Reid said Hillary would handle the presidency better than BILL CLINTON. PBO is not mentioned in the article. We must not fall for divide and conquer tactics. False headlines make for effective propaganda bc many don’t read the actual article.

July 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Briefing Room took the headline from The Hill – which originally tweeted the false headline, with a false accompanying report – and they still haven’t deleted their tweet.

July 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

By the way Eric, as you noticed, my initial reaction to that tweet was not directed at Hillary, but at the MSM. I of all people know the media’s tactics – I’m ALWAYS on their case about one thing or another!!

37. July 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

GM Chips, TOD…… Wonderful RS UT!

While it is proper and necessary to analyze the case in which George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin for what it says about profiling and police practices, it is possibly more important to analyze what it says about our increasingly vigilante-oriented gun culture.

The industry and its lobby have successfully pushed two fallacies: that the Second Amendment is under siege and so are law-abiding citizens.

They endlessly preach that more guns make us safer and any attempt at regulation is an injury to freedom. And while the rest of us have arguments about Constitutional intent and gun-use statistics, the streets run red with the blood of the slain, and the gun industry laughs all the way to the bank.

38. July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

39. July 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Now this moron repeats it:

• July 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I got no problem with him expressing his opinion I’m just wondering what he’s basing it on. I like her but she never really struck me as a good politician let alone being on this President’s level.

I don’t understand this groundswell when she never said she was running and we’ve got a midterm election next year. Reid should know better than that.

40. 149 arkluvspbo
    July 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

President of the United States of America, Tyren Anthony Edward Scott. Looking forward to that day! :)
    The wonderment and amazement and hope in that young man’s eyes are just a joy to behold.
    Cheers to the future!

41. 150 LISA K. SCOTT
    July 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Good Afternoon,
    Thanks for the great comments on my son Tyren Edward Anthony Scott. Tyren starts school on Aug. 6. He’s now 13 and in the 8th grade. Tyren and I are doing great. I visit the website several times a day and was surprise to see Tyren. He’s growing up to be a fine young man. I am not saying that because he is my son I say that because he has a great heart. He was upset with the verdict in the Zimmerman trail. As a matter of fact after President Obama spoke on Friday he emailed the President on Sunday. I had to have that talk with him on how to be careful especially as a young black teen. He’s still very respectful (yes sir/no sir). Tyren is still a good student and he’s involved in the community. He loves people and he does not see color until it slaps him in his face. I had to tell him he is not a thug but that he is all of that in God’s eyesight. Tyren loves fishing, deer hunting, plays in high school band (sax), football, baseball and he still helps his Uncle Tweed with the chickens LOL. I tell people all the time you can not raise a child by yourself. So I ask the Obama diary family to keep us in your prayers.

LISA SCOTT
    DARKNESS CANNOT DRIVE OUT DARKNESS; ONLY LIGHT CAN DO THAT. HATE CANNOT DRIVE OUT HATE, ONLY LOVE CAN DO THAT.