Jul

(No) fear of a black planet

I don’t remember how old I was; maybe 10 or 11. And I don’t remember what occasioned the discussion; possibly because my social circle was a rainbow coalition of different races, ethnicities, genders. But I remember what my mother told me one day: Yes, you have to fear all black people, because when we had just moved to this country, your father was mugged by a black man. And maybe I’m just imagining my response to her, all these years later, but to my recollection I didn’t let her say that without push-back. I questioned why I should fear an entire group because of the actions of one person. Although now I’m of the opinion that I am my brother’s keeper, I’m also of the opinion that at some point my brother must answer for his own actions. I don’t own them, only what I do and say. Likewise, the African Americans who come into my library shouldn’t have to answer for the bad decisions of another African American. At some point, we all have to stand alone before the world and justify our actions. The hundred are not responsible for the criminality of the one.

My mother has mellowed as she’s grown older. I’d like to think that my brothers and me have helped her see the ludicrousness of her fears. It also helped that her mother, my grandmother, shuffled off her mortal coil two decades ago; her skin was translucent, her eyes blue, and she made it clear that she was superior to anyone whose skin was even a shade darker than hers. She was the motive force of the racism in my family. But something happened at my library which brought that childhood incident back fresh into my mind.

A young black man—probably not much older than Trayvon Martin—came into my library earlier this week. He had requested some books, and wanted to know if they had come in. I took his library card, looked up his account, and told him that they were in transit, and should arrive either this week or early next. He thanked me and, very politely, asked me if he could go read at a table. I smiled and said “Of course, that’s why we’re here.” He returned some time later, asking if we had any books on the topic of the ones he had requested. I did a quick search, and took him back to the section where we had some relevant material. He looked at me, smiled, thanked me, and then touched my shoulder in further thanks. I looked at him, smiled, but my thought was “No, young man, I don’t think you’re a thug. No one should think you’re a thug just because of the color of your skin.”

Seeing people as people, not demonizing entire groups, is not a “liberal” value. And “conservatives” don’t have to be against it. Doing so is the only thing which will ensure our survival as a species. After 9/11, whether we like to admit it or not, we demonized all Muslims, which made it all too easy to sell the Iraq War to a shell-shocked populace. Every new group which has arrived on our shores has experienced demonization. It used to be the Irish and Italians. Now it’s dysfunctional African-Americans (although, hasn’t it always been so?) and Latinos who, in the words of Steve King, are mostly “drug mules”. Such narratives are not worthy of a civilized society. Part of our Old Testament heritage is to welcome the stranger, for once we were strangers as well. But that’s part of the Bible which many of our so-called Christians seem fit to ignore.

We have to accept cultural peculiarities, as long as they don’t serve oppression, because culture is what makes us human. But we also have to go beyond the tribal, the parochial. We have to stop erecting differences and instead erect commonalities. As President Obama said, we have to expand our circle of compassion. It’s easy to feel sympathy for those who look like you, or sound like you. It is precisely when you embrace the stranger, the foreigner, that you go beyond your tribe, and reach what is truly human. Much like supporting the right of people to speak that which is distasteful to the majority is the mark of a free country, so is eradicating the idea of the Other as an organizing principle.

Sadly, the fear many whites feel is deeply held. It’s not justified, but ignoring it won’t make it go away. The only way to assuage it is to reiterate, at every moment, that we are all children of the same Earth, all dependent on it, and unless we erect walls and minefields it will always be so. Some will never be reached; some will fester in their own fears and hatreds and bemoan the passing of a world which never existed. But most people, despite their fears, merely want to live a secure life. It’s the idea that their security is being shredded which frightens them. Showing them, bit by bit, that in fact their security is being enhanced when our country becomes more fair and more just is the only thing which will make it so. It’s not easy work. It’s not quick work. But it’s the only way forward.

Any world worthy of being left to posterity has to be one in which e pluribus unum becomes a universal value. As the Koran says, God made people into nations so that they may know each other, and learn from their differences. We are a world of strangers, seeking to know each other. I have no fear of that planet. I welcome it.

115 Responses to “(No) fear of a black planet”

1. 1 4morefor44
    July 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm

weird. was just thinking about this the other day. great minds!

2. July 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thank you LL! Settling down to read now

3. July 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi All; Thanks LL, Chips!!!!

July 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hmmm … “your comment could not be posted”

So, I’ll try again!

Beautiful post, LL. Your words are uplifting – just what all of us need, at any given time.

• 6 57andfemale
      July 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Lately, when I first sign in to leave a comment I get the same message. I have to close out TOD, reopen TOD that has my sign-in information and then I can post comments. It’s been happening for over a week.

5. July 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Simply beautiful and very moving, LL. Thank you for this and for all you do to assist all those curious minds in your library, no matter what they look like.

6. 9 GGail
    July 26, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thank you LL. It’s so good to be able to read your thoughtful writings.

7. July 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

My thoughts expressed much more eloquently!

July 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Wow. Amazing LL. Simply amazing. I needed to read this fantastic piece this week; especially today, after reading an article by a so called enlightened person who after reading Quest Love’s beautiful, heartbreaking piece on race and Trayvon Martin, dismissed African-Americans as though we’re not human beings, are not supposed to be treated as such and perpetuated the stereotype that all Black men (which saw Black men lynched) are out to rape white women.

9. 14 HZ
    July 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Thanks so much for your beautiful mind, LL. You lifted my spirit as I was reading. Your library has to be a wonderful place because you are there.HZ

10. 15 MightyPamela
    July 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Right on, LL.. I was mugged in Sydney in the middle of a bright, sunny day, by a gang of white Australian teenage boys – on my own street; with the help of a neighbor, the police were able to apprehend them, they had a collective 173 previous offended among them. One went to jail for a year. In New Dehli, I was mugged for walking while white in a Holi Day festival, no idea why that happened, and a couple months later, again in New Delhi, I felt a tug on my bag hanging over my shoulder at the telegraph (!) office, went outside after to find someone had been trying to cut my bag with a knife ! I felt blessed that in every circumstance I was unharmed, for the most part, and eventually got over the anger and fear. It all adds up to an opportunity to expandy own awareness and understanding of what motivates people to do the things they do. In my own life, ‘black’ people have demonstrated far more compassion, kindness, empathy and a general willingness to help than most ‘white’ people. If we were to become a ‘black’ planet, I suspect we would be far, far better off than we are today. Just IMHO, with a few concrete personal reasons thrown in! Oh, yes, now I AM gone, just a fly over! ;)

11. 16 Bill R.
    July 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm

When the Oglalla Sioux mystic and Holy Man was just 9 years old he had this vision of the oneness of humans and all creatures. This was even before the white Europeans had come to his land:

“I was standing on the highest mountain of them all, and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world. And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being. And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy…but anywhere is the center of the world.” (from Black Elk Speaks)

Black Elk – Oglala Sioux

July 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm

In other words, President Obama is once again saying that he’s laid out the North Star. With that, he’s willing to be pragmatic in considering anyone’s ideas about how we get there. But, as he said, “Repealing Obamacare and cutting spending is not an economic plan.” He’s calling out what we’ve talked about as post-policy politics. That’s our Community Organizer-in-Chief talking.
    The reason the conservative power structure has been so dangerous, and is especially dangerous in opposition, is that it can operate almost entirely on bad faith. It thrives on protest, complaint, fear: higher taxes, you won’t be able to choose your doctor, liberals coddle terrorists, etc. One way to deal with that kind of bad-faith opposition is to draw the person in, treat them as if they were operating in good faith, and draw them into a conversation about how they actually would solve the problem. If they have nothing, it shows. And that’s not a tactic of bipartisan Washington idealists — it’s a hard-nosed tactic of community organizers, who are acutely aware of power and conflict.

Beautiful piece of writing, LL:) Many thanks for the insight and the honesty.

July 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

h/t to 3 Chics….Must See

• 21 Linda
      July 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I saw that last night…. and cheered !

July 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I saw this yesterday, and I don’t say this often, but I agree with Matthews, 100%. We all know what’s really behind the hatred of this black family in the White House.

• 24 Ladyhawke
      July 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for posting df. I have not watched Hardball in months. I just can’t take the constant second guessing – Obama should do this, Obama should do that, Obama should have said (fill in the blank), Obama needs to lead, on and on ad nauseum. But every now and then Tweety gets it right.

July 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

THIS! http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2013/7/25/17285/7015 It’s short, so I don’t want to post anything here….just click and read

15. 27 dotster3
    July 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Has this been posted? Rep. Peter Roskam, (R-Illinois) is under investigation by House Ethics Committee. Reason is a mystery. Also under investigation by the same committee is Il. Repub Rep. Aaron—my body is beautiful, everybody look at it—Schock.

16. 28 JER
    July 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

| Live Now | Trayvon Martin’s Mother is speaking now: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

17. July 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Yet another superb essay, LL. Thank you.

As much as I do not care for Chris Mathews, he deserved the compliment …

#TrustBarack

18. 34 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I have become the “Queen of Procrastination” when it comes to doing things for myself (stuff done for others is always completed ahead of schedule). Anyhoooooooo, I initially prepare my passport renewal application on April 15th, far enough in advance to have it processed without paying an expedite fee; however, I FAILED to have a picture taken and mail it in! Fast forward to last week, I realize that even with expedite service, I was cutting it close for completing my pre-cruise paperwork. Last Friday, I mailed off my package with the expedite fee. State Dept website says it takes 2-3 weeks for expedite service. Well, got an email today, processing is complete and I should receive my passport by Monday! That’s only one week after they received my request!

Thank you, State Dept!

July 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

What’s that you say? Efficient govt? In SPITE of sequester? Imagine how quick that turn around COULD have been:) Good job….where you cruising to?? Best family vacation we ever had was a cruise….enjoy!

• 36 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        July 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Jazz cruise in Italy and Greece. Once again taking my Mom with me; she really had a blast last year.

You are right, efficient government service in spite of the sequester! PO’s me when folks demonize civil service employees.

It gets better and worse and better…

Mail just arrived — PASSPORT IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!! :-)

Found an error, they forgot to list my AKA on page 51! :-(

Called, was on hold less than 2 minutes. Clerk apologized profusely for their error. As I live near Philadelphia, she recommended that I wait until I receive my passport card and old passport back in the mail (should have both by Wednesday), then go to the Philly office and have passport and card re-issued on the spot. :-) Had I not lived close to the facility, I could have mailed it in at my expense and they would have overnighted the corrected docs at government expense. It’s easier and more cost effective for me to just go in and have it corrected on the spot.

19. 37 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

• 38 Ladyhawke
      July 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

PLEASE PROCEED GOP – MAYBE SEN. DAVID VITTER (R-LA.) CAN LEAD THE CHARGE?

The bid to turn the tables on the ‘war on women’

By Steve Benen

——————————————–

Republicans are hoping the latest picture of Anthony Weiner’s genitals — along with his confession this week that he continued his online sex chat habit well after he was first caught in 2011 — will give momentum to their effort to throw the “war on women” attack line back in the Democrats’ faces. [...]
      What’s more, note that Filner, Weiner, and Spitzer have drawn considerable criticisms from other Democrats, while the vast majority of the Republican Party still believes this radical policy agenda targeting women’s rights is worthwhile and something to be proud.

That said, if Republican want to make the case that the Filner, Weiner, and Spitzer controversies are comparable, they’re certainly welcome to make their case. Maybe Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) can lead the charge?

——————————————————

• 39 pkayden
      July 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Exactly. Let Weiner continue to run. If he loses so be it. Why should he withdraw from the race when you have adulterers like Vitter and Sanford in Congress?

• 40 57andfemale
        July 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

If it was the general election, we might need to calculate differently. But it’s the primary. let New Yorkers decide.

That being said, even before his latest slime, I questioned how in the world he could be an effective administrator. Being a mayor requires a great deal of administrative expertise and people expect results and services. I have never thought Weiner was particularly interested in the grunt of governing.

Listening to a bunch of people call in to Stephanie Miller – they all talk about what a liberal lion he is. Well, he passed one bill as congressman and spent most of his time hogging the cameras. New York is a complex city with complex issues that require finesse, compromise and effective leadership. I just don’t see Weiner as an effective mayor.

But it’s not my town. Let the New Yorkers choose their Democratic candidate.

July 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Reason #2389752875835896705789275 for shitting in their pants.

ClassicalProgressive ‏@ProgressEconomy 57s
    According to @NationalDebt the US DEBT has DROPPED over $214 million since July 1st 2013 cc:@JeffersonObama @steveweinstein
    Retweeted by Jeff Gauvin
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

July 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Good one to follow…after all, you know how Republicans like to talk about the DEBT CLOCK!!!!

July 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Great news! CVS AND Walgreen’s:)

• 49 57andfemale
        July 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Costco’s on board, too. I’ve been getting information from them regularly.

I applied for individual health insurance with Costco and was rejected instantly because of pre-existing conditions. When you hear GOP comparisons of rates – I remember the teaser rates Costco advertised: that’s if you never had a hang nail or a headache.

What is clear now is that the same insurance that I could not get, at any price, will now be available and affordable regardless of my 63 years, asthma, mild arthritis and mild high blood pressure.

And let me tell ya, I will do my part for the economy. I’m catching up on the health care I couldn’t afford up until now, as a self-employed person.

ACA may not be perfect, but it’s a step in the right direction. I’m heartened to see big companies get behind it.

July 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

AMEN to that!!

• 51 57andfemale
            July 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Costco is hosting ‘webinars’ and they have a staff of people to answer questions and help with applications.

Do you realize how many people the government could be employing to implement ACA and what a boon that would be to the economy right now? When Bush wanted his national Security state, we swelled the pentagon and ‘homeland security’ to double, plus the money poured into Part D Medicare.

Unprecedented is a mild description for the traitorous acts of the GOP.

22. 52 mtmarilyn
    July 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

LL, what a wonderful piece. I grew up in a very small town in all white KS, but my dad was president of a very small Quaker College and Academy. We had students from all over the world. All colors and background. I feel so blessed that I was exposed to so many religions and races. All this hate just hurts my soul. So thankful for this place that we can come from all other the world and it doesn’t matter what we look like, we know who we are.

I send all love, prayers, positive thoughts to all everywhere. We will not let the haters take over our country and our world.

Now I am off to have a wonderful weekend with friends, camping by the river. I think we can get cell service there so I will be checking in. Blessings to all!

23. 54 arkluvspbo
    July 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Excellent essay, LL, as always! Thank you for your thoughtful and encouraging words.

24. July 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Lovely to hear your perspective LL. It is an important part of the dialogue.

July 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

True meaning of FREELOADERS!!

26. 58 japa21
    July 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

LL, why is that every time you do a posting I end up saying how excellent it is? I know, it is because they all are exactly that.

So many times people look outside their own lives to find things rather than looking at what has happened to them and how they react to it.

People who react to a mugging by a black man by then associating that mugging with all blacks are, quite honestly, predisposed to think that way. Now, they just have an excuse to justify that belief. If thwey aren’t predisposed, they can say they experienced a mugging and leave it at that.

Two quick personal stories to kind of go a long with yours.

When I was in high school, we lived in a very nice subdivison of no more than 25 homes in a very white suburb of Milwaukee. One of the houses was put up for sale and one of our neighbors saw a black couple go through it. The uproar commenced and a petition was started to create a community association that would require the approval of a majority of the members before any house could be sold. Such approval could be withheld for any reason. Many of the people who signed the petition would deny being racist and only concerned about home values.

To my chagrin, and that of my older brother and sister, we discouverd that our parents had not only signed the position but were part of the group that came up with the idea in the first place. The three of us confronted both my mother and my father who fell back unto the home value argument. The discussion ended there, but they jknew that, although we would continue to love them, this had seriously uimpacted the way we viewed them.

The second story, which is a semi-personal one, involves that older brother mentioned above. He went to College at Northwestern University in Evanston. He was also a fan of the Chicago White Soxe, whose ballpark was on the South Side of Chicago in what was called at that time an unsavory area, which was code word for “ni—-ers live there”.

Nonetheless, he and a friend of his took the El train down one night to watch the tem play. On the way home they were assaulted and beaten up, fortunately not too badly, by a group of young black men. Despite this, he never has conflated that experience with his view of black people, or in fact any people, at any time. If anything, he is more liberal and progressive than I am. And I believe that is because he didn’t have that predisposition to hate or fear any group of people.

It is interesting about my family. Both aprents have since gone on, my father over 35 years ago and my mother just over 5. They died as they lived, staunchly conservative, though I like to think they would be disgusted by some of what is coming from the GOP today. I am one of 6 children. Of the six, all but the youngest, my brother, are quite liberal, progressive. My brother, alas, is a supporter of Scott Walker, but I love him anyway. My point is that one does not have to follow in one parent’s footsteps.

• 59 57andfemale
      July 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I grew up in Milwaukee, japa!

• 60 japa21
        July 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm

A great area to grow up. First lived in Appleton, the rock bed of conservatism (should say first place in Wisconsin, moved there when I was in 3rd grade) and then moved to Menomonee Falls. I am sure you remember the Ernie Von Schledorn commercials. There will always be some WI in me.

• 61 57andfemale
          July 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I remember being very critical, growing up. I remember – don’t laugh too hard – that what I thought ‘conservative’ meant was that it would take Milwaukee 20 years longer to finally build an expressway, and then it was only 5 miles long, in the middle of town. Slow, risk-averse: that was my definition of ‘conservative’.

I thought the public schools lacked imagination – but every kid could learn a musical instrument and have the city pay for it and provide him with the instrument. I knew a lot of kids who ended up with music degrees because the Milwaukee Public Schools taught every kid how to read music and provided the means to development their talent.

Sports were important, but so was educational excellence. And when I wanted to produce a play in high school that had social overtones, my ‘conservative’ principal held two assemblies to present my play, and then organized a ‘tour’ of other schools and we performed all over the city.

‘Conservative’. When I moved to Chicago and saw what passed for public education, I was appalled. But I loved my lively new home and I still do.

Well, thanks japa for letting me spout my journey down memory lane.

• 62 57andfemale
      July 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I will be forever grateful for the FDR Democratic parents that raised me and the political conversations around our kitchen table that shaped my political and moral values. In our edge-of-the-city crackerbox-houses neighborhood, we welcomed the first AA family. The older boy, who was my friend for so many years, was of mixed race and adopted. His dad was an accountant and his mother was a social worker (I think). They were lovely, thoughtful people who had high expectations for their children, as did every parent in that neighborhood.

When my high school produced The Music Man I was cast as the mayor’s wife and the mayor was that wonderful AA boy. There was a tad of raised eyebrows but because the cast and the teaching staff treated it as natural – the two best suited actors were cast in the parts – it was never an issue. That was 1966.

The racial tensions in Milwaukee were ugly, however, in the late 60’s but we naively came to think those darkest days were behind us. I never could have fathomed that at 63 years old I’d be fighting the same battles for civil rights, worker’s rights and women’s rights.

As Charlie Pierce said last week, we can take nothing for granted, ever again. Vigilance must be continuous. It was Democratic complacency that allowed this RWNJ a yoke over our government and our future.

July 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Some of my family experiences may have been similar. We lived just outside our city, by circumstance in a mostly white neighborhood in the Northeast, and our world was more a bubble of never being allowed to leave our street except for church and school (and I’m not kidding!) without our mother or older sister tagging along, and attending a Catholic elementary school, where there were only a few AA students. But one of my earliest memories – in the late ’50s when my mother went back to work – was seeing the very nice AA woman, who gave my mother a ride to and from work, sitting in our kitchen, having coffee and laughing with my mother about their workday at the office. My mother’s friend (whose name I still remember) was beautiful and friendly, and we thought nothing of her race or where she lived. Quite frankly, it was just good to hear our “strict Catholic mother” laugh!

27. 66 Eveingeorgia
    July 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I could kick myself for mint thing Chris last night. He makes me angry so often that I tune him out now.

He said everything I have felt and longed to say in little over a minute! Please tweet this and email it to as many as you can. Oh yes, and thank Chris.

28. 67 Eveingeorgia
    July 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm

For ” missing” Chris, last night!

29. 71 japa21
    July 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm

30. July 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Tweety’s Let Me Finish from last night:

Transcript: HARDBALL July 25, 2013 Chris Matthews:

Let me finish tonight with this.

I said it before and am now saying it again.

There are too many people on the American right who hate the very notion of
    Barack Obama in the White House. It grates on them, just as it thrills – even
    now – tens of millions of others.

They hate not just his politics but him.

Think about all the days we have known him – from way back when he gave that
    breathtaking speech at the 2004 convention? Was there ever a time in all those
    days and weeks and months and years since that his haters on the right have
    stopped in their tracks and said, “Well, good for him. I liked the way he did
    that.”

Think hard. Have his haters ever stopped hating him?

When we got Bin Laden?

When the stock market doubled, doubling very 401K, making all those haters
    richer – twice as rich – as they were when Bush left us stranded with a
    dropping, scary economy? Did they ever look up and say, even hesitantly, “Well,
    I’ll give him this one?”

You can discount it all. You can say it’s not about race or whatever. You can
    say it, but …

Think about this. In all the criticisms you’ve heard the haters say about
    African Americans all the years of your life – and think about this man’s life –
    about how hard he worked at school, how he achieved so highly at school, how he
    married so well and so faithfully, how he’s fathered two great daughters and
    kept them, protected them, been a truly great father to them, be a true partner
    in his marriage, treated his office with such respect and dignity – has never
    once let us down with his personal behavior and yet ….

They hate him. They really do and I don’t have to be the one to tell you.

We live in a country where a good chunk of the country hates its elected
    leader and won’t really – I mean really- tell you why.

It’s the same reason they spend their time thinking of clever gimmicks to
    keep so many people from voting. Anybody disagree?

• 73 pkayden
      July 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm

It’s been obvious since he was running for President that the Right hated Obama just for being Black — hence birtherism: questioning where he was born and his legitimate claim to the White House. So far their racism has bit them in their White butts. Hope it happens again in 2016.

July 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Without Congress, I might add.

32. 77 japa21
    July 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

33. 78 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

34. 81 Linda
    July 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm

That loud mouth…Alan Grayson had invited Greenwald to testify on the NSA surveillance next week.

He will be doing it remotely……..( The coward won’t come to the US )

• 82 57andfemale
      July 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Under oath? Yeah, sure.

And I recall my love/hate relationship with Alan Grayson.

• 83 57andfemale
      July 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Although not a formal committee hearing, Grayson’s event will take place on Capitol Hill, and composed of a panel of around a dozen members of Congress from both parties.
      Not a formal congressional hearing but an “event” — nothing about being under oath. And unlike a hearing to find facts, this “event” has a predetermined message:
      “They are both going to come in and make it clear that this programme is not authorised by existing law – and if it were authorised by existing law, that law would be unconstitutional,” Grayson said.
      Ok then. Talk about a spoiler alert. This isn’t a “hearing” — it is a performance, designed to compete with a similar opposing performance in the senate at the same time.

35. 84 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

36. 85 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

• 86 jackiegrumbacher
      July 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Of course, Alycee, this is exactly the outcome the conservative justices wanted. They were ‘encouraging’ voter suppression with their decision. The Roberts Court is certainly not concerned with the good of the people or the advancement of democracy. If they could out and out rig elections, they would do so.

37. 87 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm

• 88 pkayden
      July 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Not trying to be rude, but is the nephew the child of the sister who Clarence threw under the bus during his confirmations for being on welfare? I find it hard to believe that such a cold man is outraged at anything.

38. 89 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

LL, as always, a wonderful, thought provoking piece. Thank you.

39. 90 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm

40. 91 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm

41. 92 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm

42. 93 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm

43. 94 Ladyhawke
    July 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 2h

—————————————————-

Why would people ever think passing laws to make it more difficult to vote for people who were denied the vote for 200 years is racist?

——————————————————

July 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooo!

July 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Working on a News of the Day post so keep chatting away!

July 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• July 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

CVS is where I get my medication. They now have a customer for life.

• 100 pkayden
        July 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I use them too. Also shop at Costco. Glad that these stores are supporting the ACA.

• 101 57andfemale
          July 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I use CVS for my generic prescriptions and Costco for the really expensive ones. Both are doing an excellent job informing on ACA, since The GOP traitors refuse to help Americans be healthy.

• 102 57andfemale
            July 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

And I look forward to the day when I can go to one pharmacy and get reasonably priced prescriptions. Thanks, ObamaCares!

July 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Thank you CVS. It’s to bad the NFL doesn’t have the dam sense to do the right thing.

• 104 57andfemale
                July 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Shame on them. Although Hollywood should step up and make a bunch of commercials to counteract Rove.

47. 105 lamh36
    July 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Evening TOD!

48. 106 jackiegrumbacher
    July 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

We were at our county fair this afternoon setting up the Democratic booth at our county fair (complete with hand-folded health care brochures!) and, out of curiosity, took a peek at the Republican booth. To my astonishment, what I saw were photos of Ted Cruz, Eric Cantor, Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and Mike Lee–people the local party obviously thinks are worth bragging about!!! Husband and I were so taken about by this repellent lineup that we drove back to the Dem headquarters, picked up the old 2008 cardboard cutout of PBO and rushed back to put it right in the middle of our booth. As my husband said, ‘ we’ve got the star, they’ve got nothing.’

49. 109 57andfemale
    July 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

50. July 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm
  51. 111 Jovie
    July 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm

July 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Extra! Extra! Read all about it. New post.

53. July 26, 2013 at 6:07 pm

54. 114 Bill R.
    July 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thank you all for posting all these good tweets that I can retweet. :-)

55. 115 Jovie
    July 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

House will head into August break without immigration vote
    By Pete Kasperowicz
    House Republicans released a schedule for next week that does not include a vote on an immigration bill, dashing the hopes of Democrats who were pushing for a vote that might set up a House-Senate conference on immigration.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) released a schedule that includes a 2014 spending bill, and several bills aimed at increasing government accountability, but nothing on immigration.

Whoever this effects the most should vote in 2014!

RSS Steve Benen