Jul

News Of The Day

9392996813_7a4b821f78_k

President Barack Obama has lunch with former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on the patio outside the Oval Office, July 29, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Elon James White: Tim Allen’s N-Word ‘Explanation’ Is So Wrong It’s Funny

Welcome to Whitesplaining Palooza: a magical time where white folks will explain issues dealing with people of color so that finally everyone can understand! The latest magical Whitesplainer: Tim Allen.

You may remember Tim Allen as the lovable dad on the ’90s TV show Home Improvement. You may remember him as a co-star with Martin Lawrence in the 2007 movie Wild Hogs. Or you may not remember him at all, but Tim Allen wants to explain to you about how to deal with the word “ni**er” Tim Allen explaining how to deal with the word ni**er is hilarious. Not because he’s a comedian, but because he has no understanding of how racism works.

Racism doesn’t come with a barcode scanner that checks each person for their actual feelings when they use problematic language. Another thing that perhaps Allen didn’t know: you can participate in racism without taking on the mantle of “racist.” Racism doesn’t come in only one flavor. Poorly executed but well-meaning acts can still add to the problem.

More here

Roll Call: ObamaCare Defunding Fight Could Threaten Boehner Leverage, Message

The effort by conservatives in the House and Senate to threaten a government shutdown over Obamacare could force Speaker John A. Boehner into the arms of House Democrats.

With 60 Republicans already pushing Boehner to defund Obamacare in any spending bill, the speaker may not be able to cobble together a House majority on a bill that President Barack Obama would sign without Democratic votes. And he’s not likely to get those votes for free.

But senior aides from both sides of the aisle say the threat would surely backfire on Republicans if they carry it out. For one thing, most of Obama’s new health care program is mandatory spending that is not affected by appropriations bills, so it would continue to receive funding in any event. “Even if you shut down the government, Obamacare will continue to be funded, and all you will have accomplished in that scenario is a government shutdown,” a senior Republican appropriations aide said.

More here

WSJ: Regulator Outlines J.P. Morgan Electricity – Market Violations

Federal energy regulators laid out their first formal accusations that traders at J.P. Morgan Chase JPM -0.64% & Co. manipulated electricity markets, providing new details of their case against the bank ahead of an expected settlement.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said that between September 2010 and June 2011, J.P. Morgan engaged in “eight manipulative bidding strategies” that were designed to improperly obtain excessive payments from electricity-system operators in California and the Midwest.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the commission and J.P. Morgan are expected to settle the case for roughly $410 million in a deal that would also include the bank relinquishing roughly $200 million in unpaid claims from electricity buyers in California. That settlement could come as early as Tuesday.

More here

vra-at-wh

The Grio: Obama, Holder Meet With Activists On Voting Rights Act

President Barack Obama is promising not to let one election go by without protecting minority voting rights. The president met privately Monday with more than a dozen civil rights leaders to talk about strengthening the Voting Rights Act. Last month the Supreme Court struck down the most powerful provision of the 48-year-old law.

The participants told reporters afterward that they are pleased with the administration’s response so far. Attorney General Eric Holder, who was also at the White House meeting, announced support last week for a lawsuit asking for advance court approval for voting changes in Texas.

Participants said the president and Holder promised more action to protect the right to vote. The attendees stressed than any legislative response to the Supreme Court ruling must have broad bipartisan support.

More here

USA TODAY: Health Care Costs Rise At Slowest Rate In 50 Years

Personal health care costs rose last year at the slowest rate in the last 50 years, the White House announced Monday, citing statistics aimed at bolstering the case for the 2010 health care law.

The 1.1% increase in personal consumption spending over the 12 months ending in May was due to decreases in hospital and nursing home services, according to a statement from Alan Krueger, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers. Hospital readmissions rates dropped from an average of 19% to 17.9% for Medicare patients since the passage of the 2010 health care law, Krueger said.

More here

ThinkProgress: Governor Accepted Gifts From Individuals Who Later Landed Lucrative State Contracts

Gov. Tom Corbett (R-PA) campaigned for his office pledging to prohibit gifts to government officials from those seeking state contracts. But his own financial disclosures show he accepted thousands of dollars worth of gifts from friends who could benefit from his position.

Last week, Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-VA) apologized for bringingembarrassment to Virginia as a result of tens of thousands of dollars worth of gifts and loans he and his family took from a tobacco executive. Like McDonnell and others, Corbett received gifts from several benefactors in recent years

More here

OPB: Health Reform Will Bring Insurance To Oregon’s Homeless

When the Affordable Care Act goes into effect in January, most of Oregon’s homeless people will have health insurance. That means they’ll have access to drug and alcohol treatment, regular doctor visits and counseling.

Traci Manning, the director of the Portland Housing Bureau, says that will change things dramatically. “Having health insurance will prevent some people from becoming homeless in the first place,” Manning says. “Because if you don’t have insurance and you have a serious health care crisis, and perhaps are already struggling to make ends meet, you suddenly have a lot of bills, maybe you start missing a lot of rent. You run through your savings and for some people right now, that may be the cause of their homelessness.”

Manning says that fact that homeless people will have insurance could also free up money for other things. “There is the opportunity for services that are currently provided directly by the public to be paid for directly through Medicaid.

More here

***

BQYK0TUCUAA5c8U

@VJ44: Today POTUS met with civil rights leaders & elected officials to ensure every eligible American has the right to vote

98 Responses to “News Of The Day”

July 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Congrats on 1st, Mariele!

Beautiful news round-up, UT. Thank you. I just love seeing Rev. Al invited to the White House! That’s what happens when you work WITH the White House and the President, and not AGAINST everything PBO stands for – and for which we elected him!

• July 29, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Would like to stay around and chat but am falling asleep over my keyboard. I still want to share what I heard at our Abolishing Poverty conference, but it will have to wait. Night, night. Sweet dreams to all.

July 29, 2013 at 10:19 pm

July 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I hesitated for a long while but couldn’t help responding to this. Words have power I’m told, so ….

July 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I could understand his enthusiasm – who wouldn’t? – but I really, really like your response, which is the ultimate goal!

July 29, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I did understand too, but it kept nagging at me that comparisons of this sort are not the way to unity – we don’t want to start a competition, so to speak.

July 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

True, and I could see that he wanted to provide a balance by elevating the dialogue on behalf of Latinos, which is sorely missing in this country! Good for him. And good for you for suggesting his next (more inclusive) step. I’m thinking he’ll have a lot of “next steps” in his political career!

July 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Funny you should put it that way; I really was thinking ‘young’ ‘maturity’ (of expression), etc when I hesitated about responding. Then I thought it might give him something to think about before expressing the sentiment again, in just that way.

2. 12 anniebella
    July 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I wonder if FLOTUS and the girls have any special plans for POTUS birthday this Sunday, August 4th.

3. 14 anniebella
    July 29, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Wal “Made in China” Mart is there new name.

• 15 carolyn
      July 29, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Also Hobby Lobby, the super Christian store, is strictly Made in China. I live where that store started, and saw their phenomenal growth. I refuse to shop there as their employee policies are abominable, their pay structure is awful, and now, they are trying to impose their religious beliefs on workers through their health care policy for women…..re: contraception.
      If you go to their store, it is as if a big container from China was just backed up and unloaded…….thousands of duplicates of everything…nothing unique or original, but they have products for every hobby imaginable. The owners are unbelievably wealthy now, and they started as a picture framing shop.

July 29, 2013 at 10:50 pm

NEVER SHOP AT HOBBY LOBBY….OR CHIK FILET……

July 29, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Believe it or not, a Chick-Felays recently opened in my backyard! Imagine my shock! They offer flame grilled chicken, ribs and steak and claim they are not affiliated to Chick Filet.

July 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm

You better check that out first, vc…could be a ploy. You would think that they wouldn’t be able to use that name…

July 30, 2013 at 12:09 am

Well, my son noticed it was spelled differently, when I saw it and exclaimed, telling him TODvillage didn’t approve of them. So I dragged him inside to ask the cashier if they were from the States. She admitted they were an American franchise, yet their literature state they are proudly Canadian. I checked them out when I came home and that’s when I saw the ‘story’ about them not being connected. Connected or not I have no plans to dine there.

July 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I went to the local Hobby Lobby for the first time months ago, before I learned this about them. Never going back.

4. July 29, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Thanks, Susanne, for the Biden at Pearl Harbor pic!

5. 23 Jovie
    July 29, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Reid files cloture on Obama’s nominees to ATF, United Nations
    By Ramsey Cox
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) filed cloture Monday on President Obama’s nominee to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
    Earlier this month, the Senate Judiciary Committee cleared the nomination of B. Todd Jones to head the ATF on a party-line 10-8 vote.

July 29, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Thanks, Utal; you seem to be the only one on shift today! Your efforts are much appreciated. Sure hope you won’t get tired out before the relief shift shows up.

“The Massachusetts island of Martha’s Vineyard, the exclusive playground for presidents and their families, is about to get its annual summer infusion of cash and attention as President Obama and his family prepare to arrive August 10 for an eight-day vacation.
    ………..
    ……….

It’s unclear why the president is returning home on the 18th, though the school where his daughters attend, Sidwell Friends, said that is when practice for winter sports begins. Both Malia and Sasha play basketball just like their dad.”

• 27 utaustinliberal
      July 30, 2013 at 8:07 am

Thanks VC. Much appreciated.

July 30, 2013 at 9:58 am

Eight day vacation, come on POTUS you could at least take a two week vacation. I am a taxpayer, I don’t mind. After all how long will Congress be on vacation. I didn’t know Malia played basketball, I thought she played tennis and Sasha basketball.

July 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

I also thought Malia’s focus was tennis, but I guess there’s no reason she cannot do both. :grin: I like learning little pieces of ‘new’ (yet innocent) information about the family. [That's one reason I wish Michelle would now use a different story when she talks about her dad and college.]

7. 31 Jovie
    July 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm

If You’re a Tea Bagger, you are looking for any excuse to stop the Federal Government.
    From the Perspective of a Tea Bagger/Libertarian, the Federal Government is the enemy!
    So, saying you’re going to stop the funding of Obamacare, by shutting down the Federal Government is an excuse!
    Yes, they hate Obamacare, but they hate the Federal Government even more. They’ve been told about the funding doesn’t matter, but they don’t care.
    Trojan Horse!

July 29, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Worth a read…. http://www.alternet.org/story/149721/ayn_rand_railed_against_government_benefits%2C_but_grabbed_social_security_and_medicare_when_she_needed_them?page=0%2C0

he degree to which Ayn Rand has become a touchstone for the modern conservative movement is striking. She was a sexual libertine, and, according to writer Mark Ames, she modeled her heroic characters on one of the most despicable sociopaths of her time. Ames’ conclusion is important for understanding today’s political economy. “Whenever you hear politicians or Tea Partiers dividing up the world between ‘producers’ and ‘collectivism,’” he wrote, “just know that those ideas and words more likely than not are derived from the deranged mind of a serial-killer groupie….And when you see them taking their razor blades to the last remaining programs protecting the middle class from total abject destitution—Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid—and bragging about how they are slashing these programs for ‘moral’ reasons, just remember Rand’s morality and who inspired her.”

Now we know that Rand was also just as hypocritical as the Tea Party freshman who railed against “government health care” to get elected and then whined that he had to wait a month before getting his own Cadillac plan courtesy of the taxpayers.

They are all so full of shit.

8. 33 nathkatun7
    July 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Thanks UT for all your wonderful posts today. The “News of the Day” post is as comprehensive, filled with a great of info. as your “Rise & Shine” post.

• 34 utaustinliberal
      July 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you very much.

• July 29, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I always enjoy your posts – they are packed full of good information.

• 37 nathkatun7
        July 30, 2013 at 12:05 am

You are most welcome, UT! It’s really us at TOD who should be thankful for your presence here and for the wonderful work you are doing to support Chipsticks. Just in case you didn’t know, you are #1 in my book! I value and highly respect your commentaries. I deeply appreciate the way you are able to use twitter to effectively highlight major aspects of the President’s speeches as well as break down important topics covered by news media. And, I get a kick out of your fierce, but quite humorous, football rivalry with Chipsticks.

• 38 utaustinliberal
          July 30, 2013 at 8:10 am

Well, this was a very sweet comment to read this morning. Thanks for all your contributions here and your breathtaking knowledge of history that helps us understand where we came from and where we want to go. Thanks Nath.

July 29, 2013 at 10:47 pm

July 29, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I have to share that my son took me out to his glorious restaurant tonight for happy hour and munchies:) Delish! Had the BEST muscles and brushetta….and crab dip with artichokes….and a really good Bombay gin and tonic…..and great conversation…did I mention how much I love my son? Could make this an every Monday treat!

July 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Good for him and for you, Df! {ps. May I send *my* son over for some good modeling-mentoring?}

July 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Absolutely! I have always said I would like to clone my son so everyone could have him and share in his goodness:)

July 30, 2013 at 12:15 am

I frequently think, and used to say, mine is the best son in my town, but I have to admit that his ‘mothering’ skills are weak (to non-existent). He has always been a good kid in every area, except in direct mothering. I don’t think he’d ever think of taking me anywhere for a special occasion or otherwise. Of course, I should be fair and say that I’ve discouraged stuff like that over the years with the argument ‘Thanks for the thought but I really, really don’t need a present / mind staying home, etc.’

July 30, 2013 at 12:20 am

I think my son takes great joy in being able to take me out with this own money…he has his first ever job…never could work in high school because of school and lacrosse that was all year long….now, I feel like he’s proud to introduce me and take his mom out for a special treat. He’s really a very thoughtful guy….I say, tell your son that you feel like you miss him and that you’d like to spend more time with him….and make the first “date” and then tell him that he has to make the next “date” and take you:) Then lavish the deserving praise on him…if you say no often enough, they just quit asking:)

July 30, 2013 at 12:28 am

‘if you say no often enough, they just quit asking’

True, but I really prefer to stay home. I’m not really a foodie fan, or a music fan (especially not classical music), or a movie fan. Whenever we go to the movies together I criticize so much, he remarks ‘Mom, you have no suspension of disbelief!’ In short, I really am a dud, so he prefers to go with friends and I don’t blame him. :grin:

• 51 arkluvspbo
      July 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Mmmmm I LOVE seafood! Born and bred in MD, mom’s side is from Baltimore — it’s in my blood.

July 29, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Got that right!

Moses ‏@Lexvegaskid 32m
    @JeffersonObama that’s a sad statement about where the Republican Party is: Cruz or Paul. That’s like choosing death by fire or drowning
    Retweeted by Jeff Gauvin

July 29, 2013 at 11:17 pm
  13. 56 dotster3
    July 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

“We as parents are suffering the loss and injury of our children day after day……….We can’t even let them go outside”. said a relative of the little girl shot in the stomach this evening in Chicago. This adorable little girl just celebrated her 4th birthday last week.

July 30, 2013 at 12:21 am

Well, I’m ready to play least in sight. G’Night, everyone!

“ Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” ~T. Roosevelt

• 59 susanne
      July 30, 2013 at 5:00 am

aloha vc
      just saw your note from earlier–all’s well here, quiet night, and maybe the lawn will green up after the rain!

July 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

That’s what I love about the frequent rains we’ve been having – my lawn doesn’t look as unloved as it really is. :razz:

July 30, 2013 at 1:00 am

Night all…off to finish watching Hello Dolly…

July 30, 2013 at 1:03 am

July 30, 2013 at 1:14 am

Good ol’ FDR … a rich man who “got it”:

• 66 nathkatun7
      July 30, 2013 at 2:37 am

DesertFlower, you are absolutely amazing! You always share with us some of the most insightful pieces of writing. Sam Tanehous’s piece is absolutely one the best political analyses, that’s deeply grounded in history, that I’ve ever read. Thank you so much, DF, for sharing it with us. I’ve bookmarked it for future reference.

18. July 30, 2013 at 2:11 am

Will remain incessant in pushing this message ….

… it is OUR responsibility to our fellow citizens to do so.

#LandslideDEMS2014 that’s not a wish, that’s a MANDATE

Yes We Can

19. 71 Jovie
    July 30, 2013 at 6:47 am

20. July 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

Good morning. I must confess I am a bit concerned about PO’s visit to Chattanooga today. Hearing reports on the local (Knoxville) that don’t sound too welcoming, to say the least. I am expecting a bunch of TPer’s and rednecks to embarrass the whole state. Stupid…….you just can’t fix it! I sure hope I am wrong.

• 75 Jovie
      July 30, 2013 at 7:46 am

Of course! History will show that Tennessee was the actual birth of the KKK. After Civil War Confederates mad as hell targeting AA. That group morphed into modern day KKK.
      So, unsurprising and sickening.
      But, fear not, SS is on top of it, they do a great job! :)

• July 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

I know, Jovie. I trust the SS, but hate that a few filled with hate and ignorance can make the entire state look bad. I keep thinking about about the conservative lady I spoke with after church Sunday and how she is convinced that she has never seen ONE action from PO that shows her he means/backs up with action/bahavior what he says. She flat out said, “I just don’t see it……don’t see any good in him.” Sad, so sad. I am so D— tired of the hatred and ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 77 Jovie
          July 30, 2013 at 8:12 am

Well, the blue States love Him!

July 30, 2013 at 8:18 am

He went to a Romney stronghold in MO last week to give a speech, and people were there lined up around the block. There ARE people, even in those Red States and counties who love and/or respect this President. We only hear about the hate.

• July 30, 2013 at 8:16 am

That’s the beauty and courage of our President – he’s not afraid to go into situations where most other people (including Don Lemon & O’Reilly) would shy away from. And true, the majority there may be hateful and/or racist, but if he can reach a single person – that’s all it takes. If they see him in person, rather than the fun-house mirror distorted image that they see on FOX NEws on Limbaugh, etc, they might just have to reflect on themselves a bit….
          :) :)

• 82 99ts
          July 30, 2013 at 8:37 am

“There are none so blind as those who cannot see” – and anyone who can say they have neve seen one action from PBO that shews he means/does what he says – is truly not looking.

• July 30, 2013 at 8:55 am

I am glad that he is going to some of these RED states…i will be watching to see how the local media handles his visit…

• July 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

They’re usually pretty good much to my surprise. His recent visits to Oklahoma and Texas received some very positive coverage.

• 87 CEB
              July 30, 2013 at 9:17 am

He always said and meant that he is everyone’s president. He always goes there literally and figuratively. PBO has often said that it is necessary and helpful for our democracy to listen to all voices. This is a bi-racial man who ran for and was elected president twice with the largest margin of anyone since Reagan. He will be find no matter what and the SS who loves him are on the case.

July 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

To show that POTUS has support every where all you have to do is remember what the Louisville Cardinal basketball coach said the othe day, he said it with the Republicans Kentucky Senators sitting in the room, he talk about how much the POTUS was love by his team, and he even let them know that FLOTUS was too. So that told me that there are some sensible people in those red states, just not enough.

July 30, 2013 at 9:47 am

tnmtngirl, as I said the other day, your friend don’t want to see or admit that there is any thing good about this black President. That means she would have to admit that all black people aren’t worthless no good, piece of trash, less than human.

21. 91 57andfemale
    July 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

22. 92 donna dem 4 obama
    July 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

Good Morning TOD

Good News to start your Tuesday!

23. 93 CEB
    July 30, 2013 at 9:20 am

Good morning everyone.

UT, I am currently rocking out to Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines CD that I downloaded to my Kindle Fire this morning. I like it so far; what are your thoughts and feelings about it?

July 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Today’s Schedule ?

10:00AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing

10:45AM THE PRESIDENT departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews

11:00AM THE PRESIDENT departs Joint Base Andrews

12:30PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Chattanooga, Tennessee

1:35PM THE PRESIDENT tours the Amazon Fulfillment Center – Chattanooga, Tennessee

2:00PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks

3:05PM THE PRESIDENT departs Chattanooga, Tennessee en route Washington, DC

4:40PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Joint Base Andrews

4:55PM THE PRESIDENT arrives the White House

5:10PM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meets with Secretary of Defense Hagel

July 30, 2013 at 9:43 am

Morning! More great Obamacare news!

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force — a government-backed panel of scientists and medical professionals charged with prescribing which preventative health care services Americans should pursue — recommended on Monday that heavy smokers get a yearly CT scan in order to check for lung cancer. The task force believes the screenings could save as many as 20,000 lives per year. And thanks to the Affordable Care Act, at-risk Americans will be able to get them for free.