Aug

Rise and Shine

President Obama talks with Coach Geno Auriemma in the Blue Room of the White House prior to an event to honor the NCAA Champion University of Connecticut Huskies and their 2013 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship, July 31 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (All Times Eastern):

12:30: Jay Carney briefs the press

2:15: President Obama meets with a group of bipartisan members of Congress

3:45: President Obama holds a bilateral meeting with President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi of the Republic of Yemen

5:55: Hosts a reception for the 50th Anniversary of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law

Jason Linkins: What If Ron Fournier Can’t Read (great response to Fournier’s BS)

Suffice it to say, Ron Fournier is wrong and I am right. Also, Greg Sargent is right,Brendan Nyhan is right, John Sides is right, Jonathan Bernstein is right, and historian George Edwards is right. If you are harboring a belief that former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt used “fireside chats” to overcome political opposition, you are not remembering that correctly. It’s very pretty to think that, but you’re wrong. And that will just as true tomorrow as it is today, full stop.

Fournier, in his most recent attempt, titled “What If Obama Can’t Lead?,” seems to be rather upset at being accused of supporting what Sargent calls the “Green Lantern Theory” of presidential power. He simply believes that “great presidents overcome great hurdles,” and that’s that. Once you’ve established “greatness,” then all hurdles are defeated. If hurdles remain, then you’ve not established “greatness,” no matter how many hurdles you’ve previously overcome. (And to be sure, Obama has overcome quite a number of those.) I’m afraid that Fournier doesn’t have much of a clue as to the process by which these obstacles are surmounted. And he’s opted to simply pant with extreme impatience, rather than undertaking an exploration as to how this process works. He proceeds from the premise that at one point in history, there were presidents, and at other points in history, stuff happened that was possibly attributable to those presidents. Rather than taking a searching inventory of the relevant history or undertaking an effort to understand the political science, he attributes the fact that “Presidents did stuff” to a hazy concept called “leadership” and proceeds to conclude that if a president isn’t successfully “doing some stuff” then that president “can’t lead.”

More here

Republican IRS Hearing Fails To Deliver On Claims Of White House Link

Tara Culp-Ressler: The First State That Tried To Defund Planned Parenthood Is Officially Giving Up

After a legal battle that has stretched over the course of two years, the state of Indiana has agreed to put an end to its efforts to strip Medicaid funding from Planned Parenthood clinics. Indiana was the first state that attempted to target the national women’s health organization by blocking it from receiving state-level Medicaid dollars for the services it provides to low-income women.

In 2011, Gov. Mitch Daniels (R-IN) signed a law to prevent Planned Parenthood from receiving any Medicaid funding simply because it is an abortion provider — even though that money actually funds general health screenings for thousands of low-income women, not abortions. But those efforts have been largely unsuccessful. Multiple courts have determined that states aren’t allowed to discriminate against qualified Medicaid providers simply because of their stance on abortion rights, saying that low-income women deserve the freedom to choose their own doctors.

More here

BO20qhhCMAAvRPX

James Fallows: A False Equivalence Classic

The 44th president, like his 43 predecessors, believes that the United States should honor its sovereign debt, as part of maintaining the “full faith and credit of the United States.” He also believes that the policy on government spending first applied under George Washington and in force since then should still be the policy now: once Congress has voted programs or benefits into law, then the government is legally and morally obligated to carry out those programs, until and unless they are repealed.*

To which the other “side” to the dispute replies: Who cares! We don’t like you or your programs, and to prove it we’re willing to risk a default on the national debt. What’s going on now is more like the 1970s-era hijackers Brendan Koerner describes in his recent book, who would threaten to blow up the plane unless they got the ride to Cuba they wanted. Or, if you want a less violent analogy, it’s like me walking into a restaurant, ordering and enjoying a meal, and then when I finished just tearing up the check and saying that I was “digging in my heels” about whether I should pay.

More here

Greg Sargent: Ostrich Punditry Refuses To reckon With Reality Of Today’s GOP (another fantastic rebuttal to Fournier’s BS)

Now that President Obama has proposed tax reform that would lower corporate tax rates and provide for new stimulus spending — which Republicans have flatly rejected — it has renewed the seemingly endless, intractable debate over the causes of gridlock and failure to compromise in Washington. There is no prominent commentator who is more determined to blame both sides for what is happening than Ron Fournier, so his latest explanation for what ails us is worth a response.

Advice such as this seems deliberately designed to be impossible to meet. Whatever Obama does, the pundit can simply respond with, “not enough; do more of it, or do it more effectively.” After all, Obama is already doing some of the things Fournier wants him to do: He is holding discussions with GOP lawmakers in hopes of enticing them to break away from the leadership/Tea Party alliance’s hostility to compromise on the budget, infrastructure spending, and other matters.

If anything, it’s punditry such as Fournier’s that constitutes a surrender of sorts. It’s not enough to claim Obama’s legacy will inevitably seen as a failure  to overcome GOP intransigence (should that happen), because history isn’t fair. The question is, shouldthat be the case, and would blaming Obama for failing to overcome it be a reasonable and accurate assessment?

More here

8010298173_0a803a8b5d_h

President Barack Obama disembarks Air Force One upon his arrival at Mansfield Air National Guard Base in Mansfield, Ohio, Aug. 1, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

8010305416_92126ddff4_h

President Barack Obama samples fudge offered by Squirrel’s Den fudge shop owner LaDonna Secrist, left, during a stop in Mansfield, Ohio, Aug. 1, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Have A Michelleriffic Day! :D

121 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 5 jackiegrumbacher
    August 1, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good morning all.

2. 6 mtmarilyn
    August 1, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good morning!!!

3. 7 mtmarilyn
    August 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

I never get here early and this morning I did. Congrats Alma on the #1, Jackie and I did come in #2

4. 8 mtmarilyn
    August 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

Now back to read UT great R & S. Good morning everyone! It is a beautiful cool morning here in MT. This will help all the fires we have.

5. 9 Ladyhawke
    August 1, 2013 at 10:06 am

Fragile Filibuster Deal Nearly Falls Apart Over ATF Director

BY SAHIL KAPUR

————————————————

“Lisa’s just a friend of mine and I thought we’d have a nice little chat about what we had for dinner last night,” Collins quipped, describing as “accurate” a reporter’s characterization that she rescued Murkowski as she was being ganged up on by Republican senators. “I was concerned that she was being pummeled by both sides.”

Collins told reporters that despite her “concerns” about Jones’ nomination, “I believe the way to express those concerns is to vote no on his nominations rather than voting no on cloture. I think that there are too many filibusters in the Senate, and that we need to move forward on bills and on nominations and let the Senate work its will.”

—————————————————

6. 10 japa21
    August 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

August 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

Thank you for this morning’s round-up, and a very ‘Good Morning’ to you, Utal!

Wishing everyone who drops in today a ‘Terrific Thursday’!

8. 12 japa21
    August 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

9. 13 99ts
    August 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

GM all – thanks UT for all the good news. I love the photos in the blue room – PBO and Michelle always look perfect with the surroundings. It’s making me think that in 8 years the only pictures of GWB that I ever saw – was standing on the grass making remarks that usually made little sense. The last time I saw much of the white house was in the Kennedy administration when Mrs Kennedy was decorating.

I’m so glad PBO opened the Presidency up to the world.

10. 14 japa21
    August 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

GM evefrybody. Great R&S as usual, UT. Fournier is an ass, always has been an ass and always will be an ass. But that can also be said about many others in the MSM.

August 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

Geno! That man knows how to win championships:)

12. 16 cookemom
    August 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hiddee ho all you O’s!!!! It’s a great getting up day in TODdytown!!

I was on a RWNJ site and found that, though reluctantly, a few admitted to waiting for ACA exchanges to kick in. Others were hoping that their Gov would implement the program. There main reason was pre-existing condition and price/value of premium. Of course, the excuse was, that might as well take it, cause it’s gonna fail anyway. The pushback wasn’t all that great either. That tells me they are resigning themselves to the fact that they need it, they just can’t bring themselves to give credit where it’s due. Not a one, suggested that they’d refuse to enroll and just pay the fine.

13. 39 Ladyhawke
    August 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

Senate Confirms Top Gun Cop For The First Time In American History

BY IAN MILLHISER

——————————–

Prior to 2006, the ATF Director could be appointed directly by the president without going through the Senate confirmation process. That changed after the National Rifle Association successfully lobbied to insert a provision into a law reauthorizing the PATRIOT Act requiring Senate approval of any such Director.
    So, from the moment the ATF job because a Senate confirmed position, it also appeared unfillable due to the combination of the Senate’s broken rules and the NRA’s propensity to oppose any nominees. Interestingly, the NRA actually remained officially neutral on the Jones vote, although it is possible that they did so largely because they did not want to weigh in on a fight they expected to lose.

———————————-

Read more here ……

14. 42 57andfemale
    August 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

Did this get posted? I’ll link to it at dKos because that’s the only link. You guys don’t have to go there but here’s the gist:

Erickson’s ‘right hand man’ is a young man with liver failure. They are taking donations to pay for his health care because he’s UNINSURED. This guy is known for posting vehement anit-ACA screeds, and where are the RWNJ’s holding him ‘accountable’ for not taking care of his own health care?

• 43 99ts
      August 1, 2013 at 11:05 am

Read the link – he is also in a state that has refused the medicaid expansion – which he would probably be eligible for – sigh – hard to save people from themselves

• 44 57andfemale
        August 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

It is a good illustration of the effect of RWNJ derangement and the harm it will do indiscriminately.

15. 45 57andfemale
    August 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

Okay, a short, mild rant: it is not reasonable that I have to sign in to wordpress, then close it out and reopen the site in order to post a comment.

August 1, 2013 at 10:39 am

WASHINGTON — The federal government pays millions of dollars in farm subsidies each year to farmers who have died, because the Agriculture Department lacks the proper controls to make sure the money it sends is going to the right people, a government audit has found.

But they can cut SNAP for millions….WTH!

• 47 ericfive
      August 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

SNAP has been racialized (i.e., they put a “black face” on the food stamp program, even though more whites get food stamps than black people). It is easy to demonize anything in this country by merely positing that the program will aid or benefit minorities in any way. Same with Affirmative Action. It is demonized because of the false belief that it mainly benefits minorities, while in fact white women have been the largest beneficiaries of Affirmative Action. The farm subsidies (read: welfare) go mainly to white farmers, so it is not demonized, nor are its recipients scrutinized as the article you cite shows. Hell, even wearing a hoodie in the rain has been demonized as the pundits’ slanders against Trayvon Martin have clearly illustrated.

August 1, 2013 at 11:22 am

Reminds me of when George Bush the Elder referred to Jeb Bush’s children, his own grandchildren who happen to be part Hispanic, as the “little brown ones.”

Let’s get rid of the colorwheel, America!

• 51 dotster3
        August 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

Didn’t he say he loved all his grandchildren, EVEN the little brown ones? As in—-imagine!—–loving the little brown ones the same as the others. That’s what I remember anyway—-and remember my disgust.

August 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

He also said (after caught saying this) that the thought of anybody implying he didn’t love all of his grandchildren the same way was “offensive.”

I find the whole damn lot of ‘em offensive!

August 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

Love the post, UT! Too bad you chose the image of the President’s enjoyin’ the FUDGE, because now I want some and it’s only mid-morning here (don’t do that, again!).

Mornin’, TODville.

18. 54 JER
    August 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

August 1, 2013 at 11:25 am

I believe it was way back in the late ’70s or early ’80s when Sears was one of the first corporations who made their employees p/t, to avoid paying benefits. I knew someone that had that happen to her.

Too bad some of us actually remember this stuff – eh, Republicans? #VoteThemOut

• 56 majiir
        August 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I worked for Sears briefly in the 1970s, and it was the case that they had a lot of part-time employees even then. I was one of them, and I knew many who worked there who were also p/t workers. Those who are blaming PBO for the increase in p/t workers just haven’t been paying attention, or they just want to blame him for the things corporations are doing. Corporations will hire p/t workers to save operating costs. This is a fact that many Americans refuse to acknowledge, JOB, but I, like yourself, remember when the trend began.

August 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm

An awful trend, indeed, much like getting rid of the unions who used to fight like warriors for the middle-class workers and beyond.

• 58 ericfive
          August 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Those who are blaming PBO or the ACA for the fact that companies are hiring part-time workers are being dishonest. As you and JOB’s comments clearly illustrate, we have been on this road for DECADES. The public has to understand that the purpose of corporations (and companies large and small) is to maximize profit. They are not in the business of creating jobs, regardless of who is in the White House.

• August 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I know community colleges have been doing it for many years. Hire a part-time professor so they don’t get benefits.

August 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Let’s just call the U S of A a “benefit-free society” and get it out there.

By the way, these are all earned benefits that are being tossed to the wayside. I worked for 34 years in an office and 8 years freelance writing at home, so I could sit here with a pension and Social Security, a member of a group health plan with shared lower rates and eligible for Medicare. What will future generations have in their retirements, if they can ever afford to stop working?

• August 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

In Michigan now, newly hired teachers have no retirement insurance and I believe they are given a set amount for a pension from the district and told to do their best investing. I know we have gone from defined contributions to defined benefits (or the other way around whichever is worse.) Truly they get nothing. I am having to pay more into retirement health fund which doesn’t even guarantee the funds will be there when you retire. It goes into a generic account, not into a personal account. I have to pay a lot more for my insurance. I haven’t had an actual increase in salary for about 15 years. The tiny 1% and 1/2% increases we get every once in a while are not anywhere near the increased costs of living over that time. And for the past 3 years my salary has gone down down down. I think I am making about what I made in 2003 right now. I have to work for about 4 more years so that I can go right into Medicare and not have to pay for insurance until I turn 65. That’s if I can stay employed. I am at the highest point on our district’s salary schedule. If the district fails to get out of debt (should be next year) or if they dissolve all local school districts I will not be rehired. The gains of a generation of workers are being wiped out.

• 62 jackiegrumbacher
              August 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Mary1 this is insanely unfair. Teachers are the most important bedrock of our society and should be treated with respect and fair pay, including benefits. When is our society going to wake up and realize that we’re destroying ourselves?

August 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I don’t know if you’ve ever shared your story with the White House, but this is the kind of life struggle for hard-working people that the President remains interested in …

All the best to you, and I so hope the situation there improves!

• August 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I felt a bit whiny, after having posted all that, because I do still have a job, I love the job, my co-workers and my district, and I’m not being paid starvation wages. I just wanted to make the point that people don’t really know what is going on here because Snyder is sneaker than Walker in Wisconsin. Truly, truly, they do not value education or teachers they only see the public education system as another way to siphon tax-payer money to big businesses who provide an inferior product. But I was talking to a young man at Office Depot the other day. They were having a big school supply sale with a limit of three items, but teachers can get up to 12. So told him I was a teacher and he asked my if it was supplies for my room. When I said yes, he just shook his head and said it was disgusting that so much money had been taken out of education. But he thought that more and more people were getting pissed off about it and were getting ready to vote him out next year. I hope so! And all the other Republicans dominating our legislature too! However I then read his poll numbers are coming up :( However I didn’t have time to read the details so I don’t know what kind of a poll or how accurate it was. So I choose to live in hope!

19. 65 japa21

25. 73 Bill R.
    August 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

26. 75 57andfemale
    August 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

• 76 Sandy1110
      August 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm

And emos think he’s sticking it to POTUS.

Have fun where they actually DO kill whistleblowers, Snowjob.

27. 77 57andfemale
    August 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hey, guys, if I wanted to carry on a conversation with myself, I would be talking to my husband!

August 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thank you, President Obama!!! http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/08/01/2397101/obamacare-birth-control-anniversary/

One year ago, one of Obamacare’s most popular provisions took effect — the rule requiring insurers to cover women’s preventative health services, like birth control and Pap smears, at no additional charge.

The impact has already been huge. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, an estimated 27 million women are currently benefiting from Obamacare’s no-cost services — coverage that now includes contraceptive care, HPV vaccinations, mammograms, STD screening, and domestic violence counseling. Some women’s plans may have already covered those things, but many didn’t before the health law required them to do so. Thanks to Obamacare, 41 percent of all workers got an expanded pool of affordable benefits through their employer-sponsored insurance.
    “This is the big story of the Affordable Care Act — the steady, historic progress for women that doesn’t grab headlines,” Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood, noted in a statement. “Starting a year ago, women of all walks of life began to get both birth control and important well-woman checkups at no cost for the first time.”

29. 83 Jovie
    August 1, 2013 at 12:33 pm

What happened to Samantha powers vote today?
    I hope no hold?

30. August 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm

August 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Apparently, he just needed “training” (in how to be a decent human being, I’m thinkin’):

32. 95 57andfemale
    August 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Holy shit, my twitter TL on the comments of Ariel Castro……. You can’t make this stuff up. In your wildest dreams.

33. August 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm

34. 97 Ladyhawke
    August 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Press Secretary Jay Carney is at the podium ………

August 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Harry Reid and Patty Murray are at another podium on the Xportation Funding Bill on C-Span2 …

35. August 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

36. August 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Senate vote on Samantha Power is schedule for 4pm.

37. August 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Senate just filibustered THUD.

38. August 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

39. August 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

• 107 ericfive
      August 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I think he “pledged” his allegiance to Russia a long time ago. I think he is and always has been a spy.

August 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    August 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    August 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm
  43. 111 majiir
    August 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Ron Fournier posts sh*t about PBO’s “lack of leadership” without putting it into historical context. At no time in our history have we had a group of republicans who have been as obstructionist as those we have in Congress today. Fournier, like so many others, thinks FDR had it easy. He didn’t. He also had to deal with obstructionist republicans and liars like Father Coughlin, who many at the time listened to the way same way some Americans listen to Beck and Limbaugh today. He also had to deal with a Supreme Court that tried to hobble his attempts to get things done in D.C. PBO has had to deal with these same issues. Fournier seems to think that PBO has that magic wand that Bachmann claimed he has a few weeks ago. I’m sick of people like Fournier and their cowardice in not informing the American people that the dysfunction and gridlock in D.C. is NOT a case of “both sides being equally responsible.” The problem is the republicans, especially the ones in the House who will refuse any proposal this president makes. Some like McConnell, Cruz ,and Rand Paul in the Senate are just as bad as their counterparts in the House. The failure of the MSM to inform the American people of the real reasons for gridlock and dysfunction in D.C. is the reason I’ve ceased to watch any “news” programs on TV and have become very selective about which journalists’ work I read.

• August 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Roosevelt also had far more Democrats in his Congress.

• 113 ericfive
      August 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Fournier is not an honest broker. He, like most of the MSM, is a GOP shill. While he headed the AP, he was under serious consideration to be McCain’s campaign manager. On a more general note, this comparing PBO to FDR is unfair on so many level, but the most offensive to me is that FDR had 4 terms (he died during his fourth term), while PBO is just beginning his second. How the battles PBO is fighting will end has not yet been determined. It is way too early to declare PBO’s strategies to be unsuccessful,. The GOP “winning” a few news cycles in the eyes of the biased and corrupt media does not equal winning the war or argument. Also, the need for some on the left and right to compare PBO unfavorably to past great Presidents, tells me that they realize PBO’s inherent greatness and historical impact. No one compared GWB or Bill Clinton to FDR, why must PBO be better than the best US Presidents in order to not be deemed a “failure”? I was often told growing up that in America a Black person has to be twice as good at his job as his white counterpart to get the same recognition. The treatment PBO gets from “friend” and foe alike proves the validity of this old saying more than words can express.

August 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    August 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Nice touch, Democrats, to have men and women from the building trades industry – in their hard hats – stand behind you at this Senate press conference on the crashed Xportation Funding bill. Those are the real people hurt.

Dick Durbin just said McConnell is “looking over his shoulder for Rand Paul and the Libertarians” … “and to see where John Boehner and the tea party were standing … ” and “shame on them!”

That’s right, Senate Democrats, get angry – just like the voters are.

August 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Hi y’all! Mighty Pamela’s week of quiet meditation and absence from the village is almost over. Since taking time from TOD is never as easy as it sounds, especially if you are still in town with easy access, she sends ‘hi’. :grin:

47. August 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I think one point that was not made in the article about Fournier is that if President Obama does break the logjam and uses some of the things Fournier suggested, Fournier will take the credit that ‘finally’ President Obama did what Fournier told him to do. I see this with a lot of fundraising emails – contribute to us because we TOLD Obama what to do and he did it!” To me, President Obama knows what he’s doing and does pay too much attention to the hounds baying at him from the right or the left and 99% of the time is already doing what they are TELLING him to do. However he is enough of a pragmatist to take a good idea no matter where it comes from. Will they give him credit? Mmm..no. THEY will take all the credit, but if there is blame they will be happy to had all of it to PBO.

RSS OFA