Aug

News Of The Day

BQq83WjCUAAkuQQ

VP Biden swears in Samantha Power as U.S. Ambassador to the UN today at the White House

Steve Benen: And Then There Were 40

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) told reporters yesterday that President Obama and congressional Democrats are “in denial.” Yeah, denial’s just awful, isn’t it? Capping a legislative work period more noted for what it failed to pass than for what it completed, the House voted for the 40th time on Friday to repeal President Barack Obama’s health care reform law before heading home for a five week recess.

The GOP-controlled House voted to approve a measure to prevent the IRS from enforcing “Obamacare” in a 232-185 vote. The legislation faces virtually no chance of advancing in the Senate, which is controlled by Democrats. How many House Republicans voted for repeal? All of them who were on the Hill this morning. If we include the Senate, the total number of votes held by congressional Republicans to repeal all or part of the federal health care law is 68. We’re talking about a group of folks who are very slow learners.

More here

BQr4wpECQAANhx6

Andrew Cray: New Federal Legislation Introduced To Protect Homeless LGBT Youth

Although they comprise only 5 to 7 percent of all youth in America, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth make up an average of 40 percent of all homeless youth in cities across the United States. These youth face a high risk of rejection and abuse in their homes, in their schools, and on the streets. For LGBT children and young adults left without safe homes, life on the street is dangerous, and the future may seem bleak.

But Thursday, Representatives Gwen Moore (D-WI) and Mark Pocan (D-WI) introduced legislation that would offer hope for LGBT youth and the providers charged with serving them. If passed, the Runaway and Homeless Youth Inclusion Act would amend the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act to prohibit discrimination against homeless youth based on sexual orientation or gender identity in the programs intended to offer them stability and shelter, and would promote data collection processes to help policymakers better understand LGBT youth homelessness.

The Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) supports federally-funded programs for homeless youth, including street outreach, shelters and drop-in centers, and transitional living programs.

More here

The Democratic Party and the Republican Party

BOhCu2eCYAAOaEk

Igor Volsky: New ObamaCare Rule Throws Lifeline To Federal Employees

Congressional lawmakers and their staff will be able to afford health care coverage this fall when they begin enrolling in the exchanges established under the Affordable Care Act. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is expected to rule that the federal government can continue contributing to the cost of health care plans purchased through an exchange, putting to end months of intense behind-the-scenes lobbying from members of both parties which culminated in President Obama assuring Democrats that he is personally involved in the issue.

More here

Who is this guy?! ;)

child-sea_1106771i

111 Responses to “News Of The Day”

1. August 2, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Evening TOD.

now see here, this is why I’m #TEAMROBINTHICKE over #TEAMTIMBERLAKE…LOL

Once Fallon takes over the Tonight Show, I may just have to start watching it again…lol.

Love Jimmy

August 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Congrats lamh on #1! :)

3. August 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Thank you UT!!!

Their malfeasance must be punished long before Nov 2014 …

August 2, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I’m so happy to see that photo of Samantha Power! Long time coming!

August 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm

6. 13 99ts
    August 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Never has any President been attacked from within – by both sides of politics AND the media – as has President Obama. He was voted in by majorities in 2 elections and still they attack. There is only one way to see these attacks – despite the white media and white politicians try so very hard to claim his policies or his actions are at fault. No other President has ever been blamed for every bad thing that ever happens in the world – except PBO. No other President has done so much for all that is good in America – without any thanks.

What is the worst of the worst – Snowden and his supporters have sort to damage the Presidents appeal on the international scene. They cannot stand that he is a world wide success – so would preach the wonders of Putin and Russia – in their attempts to bring down PBO.

They fail – as such people do – but it is difficult to watch – I applaud all those who stay so positive against such hate.

• 14 LDS
      August 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

99ts,
      Your kind words and compassion breaks my heart. I feel exactly how you so eloquently expressed.
      It is hope, faith and trust that keeps me positive inspite of all the hate. This is not about them, but it is all about us. I am learning when you can stay positive, patient and focused it will all work out for good. This President was meant to be at a time such as this so that those who thrive on hate and purposely doing wrong will be exposed for who they really are and where they really stand. This is also the time for those to stand up for what is right even if they have been sitting down for wrong. This maybe their only and last chance to “do the right thing”. I cannot imagine how anyone can repeal a health law 40 times when you have top notch health care, take a month vacation and sleep well at night. My brain and my heart will not process that…..ever!

Happy Birthday, Mr. President! Thank you for caring.
      May God bless you and your beautiful family always

• 15 99ts
        August 3, 2013 at 1:30 am

LDS, you say it so much better than I ever could – and raise hope that there will be a backlash in 2014 – the like of which the GOP have never seen before

7. August 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Hope this leaves a few marks ….

#TrustBarack

8. 17 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm

My OFA team and Enroll America, will be holding an ObamaCare event on President Obama’s birthday (sunday). Yes an ObamaCare-themed cake will be served. Please check OFA page to see events happening near you.

9. 18 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I need a bumper sticker with the following words: Keep Your Greedy Republican Hands Out of My ObamaCare

10. August 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’m f**king frustrated too!!!! But the President’s approval is at 45-50 and congress’ is at…what 8-11?? I’m an ole middle aged white guy and my wife and I here in NM DO run generally run in democratic – liberal circles. I also manage low to mod employees. Setting aside who cares, the President has STRONG SUPPORT from my perspective. NOT SO MUCH in places like MS, AL, TX. etc.?? They just need to catch up folks!! AND THEY WILL. YES! OUR SIDE WILL WIN!!

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
      August 2, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I agree, magapie. The president has strong support and many people do understand what he’s facing. This is the lowest rated Congress in history, so someone is catching on. I refuse to give in to despair when we have so much work to do. Keep spreading the word about this awful Congress. Say it again and again to everyone you know or meet.

August 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

well…go to some town halls and call them out in front if everyone…everyone needs to be made aware of the work they ARE NOT DOING on behalf of the people.

August 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I’d say this is about right:)

12. 23 Claire
    August 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm

What I’d like to see is much more vocal support from Democrats for the ACA. They should be out backing the POTUS everyday! Democratic congress members should be doing their part. They should be put doing some door to door registrations… some kind of community outreach and support. Why aren’t we seeing Democrats on talk shows … the Colbert Report, late night tv, the morning shows, and such talking about the ACA. They should be on radio programming etc. We should be hearing from Democrats everywhere talking about ACA non stop. Electronic messages are not enough. Instead as usual the POTUS is having to do everything himself.

• August 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Since we’re all Dems here, this is one way to get the word out about Obamacare to the people we talk to. Great info on the true benefits of this program.

I think DF posted this yesterday, and Meta tweeted it.

If you’re on Twitter, you can “favorite” her Tweet, then it will be handy for retrieval on whatever device or computer you’re near.

August 2, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I plastered this all over RW sites…the haters will hate, but the others will READ:) Some people must be shaking their heads, wondering why people WOULDN’T want this! Thanks, Arapaho!

13. August 2, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I posted this earlier today, but it seems most of TODville is out enjoying the beginning of a summer weekend.

Here in SoCal, it’s been downright chilly (54F this morning), 66F now.

I know that Lockewasright was looking forward to a welcome change from the AZ heat, but this is so unusual. I’ve lived in SoCal all my life, and I’ve NEVER been chilly in August!

World champion surfer has nothing but praise for our President’s body-surfing form. If this doesn’t make the TOD front page by Sunday, I’ll post again then as a BD present for Mr. President.

August 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I have to think that Lockewasright is having a great time in SoCal…no matter HOW chilly it is! It’s downright nasty here now…no air, hot and muggy. We’ve had heat advisories the last couple days…cut the grass tonight and I was dying and attracting flies:)
      My hubby is in WA state..73 degrees…loving every minute of it:) Even the drizzle….

Sweater weather! Anything below 75 is sweater weather for me!

August 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Don’t give Putin any ideas now…soon we’ll be treated to pics of him trying to body surf in any ol’ puddle of water. That shirtless Putin pic on horseback still plagues me…

August 2, 2013 at 10:06 pm

As long as everyone’s into Robin Thicke today….

August 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm

It’s amazing how the international political sphere loves to copy PBO on every level…Bibi tried to copy PBO’s website in 2009 and said he wanted an “Obama-style” election. Putin released a pic of himself shirtless after someone circulated a pic of shirtless PBO on a Hawaii beach. Now David Cameron hires Messina as a consultant to help him with his 2015 bid for re-election.

But the US MSM is trying to tell us don’t believe our lying eyes and ears. Instead, we should believe their Koch Bros-purchased propaganda.

16. 38 LDS
    August 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hopefruit2, we picked a winner. We know one when we see one. Everyone wants to be like BO…..(the real thing)
    We are fighting this battle in a victory position. We should never forget that . We are winners because our President fights hard for us, all of us, all the time. He has never stopped and never will. It’s in his DNA. They will never be able to copy that, it’s genuine.

17. August 2, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I know you may have received this in your email, but I can never get tired of this story:

Email from Robert Gibbs…

I gotta say, when I started working for then-State Senator Barack Obama, we didn’t think much of his taste in ties.

Just over nine years ago, he was about to go onstage to give his speech at the Democratic National Convention — the one where he first called himself “a skinny kid with a funny name” — and he had picked out a hideous tie for the occasion. Axelrod liked the tie I was wearing better, and Michelle agreed — so Barack put on my tie, and off he went to deliver one of the best speeches anyone’s ever heard.

After the speech, I forgot about the tie, and didn’t see it again for seven years — not until my last day as White House Press Secretary, when President Obama gave it back to me in a frame with a picture of him wearing it at the 2004 convention.

It’s funny: Most times, a tie isn’t a very thoughtful gift.

But it’s this type of thoughtfulness that I think makes the President a great leader for the American people — and what makes him such a good friend, husband, and dad.

His birthday is this Sunday, and I know he’d appreciate it if you took a second to add your name to his card and leave him a note:

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Gibbs

P.S. — Sometimes a little gesture (or a tie) can mean a lot. I know the President appreciates knowing you have his back. Add your name before the big day.

• 40 Lynn
      August 2, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I can just see it now! Gazillions of ties show up at the White House for the President’s birthday. The ones that light up, the ones with hula girls, ones with palm trees, ones with basketballs, ones with Bo on ‘em, ones with the state of Hawaii, the state colors, ‘CHICAGO’ in big block letters…the possibilities are endless!!! What a visual! Thanks, Marlz.

August 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I remember that tie story! Made me almost want to cry, when I read it again.

Thanks for the reminder about signing the card … I kept forgetting, but I’ve signed now! Let the games begin! Happy 52nd, Mr. President!

• 42 nathkatun7
      August 2, 2013 at 11:31 pm

That’s so thoughtful of Robert Gibbs. I am actually one of those men who are absolutely clueless ties.

• 44 Dudette
      August 3, 2013 at 2:36 am

Oh my goodness that was so sweet! Reminds me of this scene from The West Wing… still makes me cry and still the Best TV Show EVAH!

August 2, 2013 at 10:57 pm

19. August 2, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Good Night,TODobots! Sweet dreams!

‘Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.’ ~Ann Landers

August 2, 2013 at 11:18 pm

August 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

Great piece from Mr. Egan! MUST READ I’m going to hit the hay…see everyone tomorrow…thanks for all the goodness that is TOD:)

• 55 99ts
      August 3, 2013 at 1:46 am

“In truth, the biggest drag on a recovering economy is this Congress. ”

One small quote, says it all

21. 56 Jovie
    August 3, 2013 at 12:03 am

GOP senators demand answers from White House on ObamaCare promotion
    By Ramsey Cox
    Thirty-nine Republican senators demanded answers from the White House on why unrelated federal agencies are spending funds to help implement and promote ObamaCare.
    “At a time federal agency budgets have been tightened by the sequester and the White House has warned of cuts to basic programs, I would like to know how 21 agencies, such as those overseeing agriculture and education, would have the taxpayer dollars to implement and promote the new health care law — an activity outside of their missions and an expense not authorized by Congress,” Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said Friday.
    Read more…

August 3, 2013 at 12:07 am

Where’s the link, Jovie?? :) And…as if we didn’t know this already….they’re SUCH assholes.

• 58 99ts
        August 3, 2013 at 1:44 am

Link is probably the right wing hate Obama rag called “the hill” – don’t know why anyone goes there to read their trash. And if you google the headline – sure enough up comes “the Hill”. I have NO intention of ever linking to their racist hate mongering.

August 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

I’m with you 99ts concerning the Hill and any other right wing pieces of racists crap. I have learn not to link onto those places either.

• 60 nathkatun7
      August 3, 2013 at 12:25 am

Who is Ramsey Cox? Does he work for GOPOLITICO? Then again may be he works for FOX, or the HILL or RED STATE.

• 61 theo67
      August 3, 2013 at 2:50 am

Lamar Alexander can get an answer on this stupid question the minute he answers why Republicans have wasted taxpayer dollars trying to repeal Obamacare 40 times now, during the sequester.

22. August 3, 2013 at 2:11 am

Bottom line ….

… need some rest ….

#TrustBarack

23. 66 Dudette
    August 3, 2013 at 3:08 am

• 67 Bill R.
      August 3, 2013 at 3:17 am

Lovely…. such a stirring aria. As one of Italian heritage who has listened to this music all my life, this one is my favorite. Nessun Dorma (No one sleeps.)

• 68 Dudette
        August 3, 2013 at 3:35 am

It’s my absolute favorite aria of all time, Bill. Of course no one does it better than Il Maestro (Pavarotti), but Siphiwo certainly woulld’ve made him proud. :-)

I really like this one that Aretha did too. She shocked the world when she performed it at the 1998 Grammys, stepping in for Pavarotti who was unable to perform that night. She put her on spin own spin on it and made a truly memorable moment in music history.

24. 70 Dudette
    August 3, 2013 at 3:44 am

25. 71 Dudette
    August 3, 2013 at 3:44 am

26. 72 Dudette
    August 3, 2013 at 3:48 am

Andreas Vollenweider – Down to the Moon

27. 74 Dudette
    August 3, 2013 at 3:52 am

Welp, that’ll do it for me folks! Fare thee well, my beloveds!
    See you soon!

28. 75 arkluvspbo
    August 3, 2013 at 4:05 am

“The IRS targeted conservative groups and is set to hire thousands of new agents to enforce ObamaCare. It’s time to end the IRS! Take action by signing the petition below. LIKE and SHARE if you agree.”

————————-

Hey TODers…good god this guy is a piece of work. The shadow figure of himself is pathetic. The hubris of him to assume that people will remember him, or want to remember him, or even that he’s that important.
    Such a copycat.
    This was posted on FB. Oy yoy yoy

• 76 arkluvspbo
      August 3, 2013 at 4:18 am

This is one of the comments….”If ALL Americans as one Nation under God would ban together and not pay taxes what can they do? They wouldn’t have the money to build enough prisons to lock all of us up!! But it has to be as a whole nation not just some!!”
      And gotta love the ones calling for a 15% flat tax rate, and then there are the paranoid freaks who think if they sign the petition the IRS will come after them.

How are these folks able to survive — their paranoia must run their lives.
      And what kind of middle class idiot wants a flat tax — do they not understand how that disproportionately affects them?

• August 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

HIring thousands of new agents? My agency has been under a hiring freeze for three years. If there were such openings, a lot of my co-workers who are seasonal would be applying for them right and left. And let’s not forget the sequestration-where is the money coming from if we can’t even pay people already here to work every day?

• 78 arkluvspbo
        August 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Hi CarolDuhart,
        Obviously Rand Paul has no problem lying for votes.
        So sad…and the ignorant will support him anyway

29. August 3, 2013 at 8:33 am

August 3, 2013 at 8:44 am

‘Morning TODobots! I’m heading into the wi-fi free boondocks later today, for a couple of days, so your ears and eyes will be free of my rambles until Tuesday. If I last that long ‘in the wilds’! I’ve already told the family I don’t do camping so they can forget the tent idea, so I’ve got space in the cabin. [Makes absolutely no sense to me to leave my comfortable bed to go sleep in a tent and be stung by mosquitoes and other bugs, all to say I was camping, or getting 'away from the city'! What's wrong in camping in the comfort of your own home? The city is just fine to me. IMO people can be so weird when they go in search of adventure; however, I did agree to join in for the sake of the offspring who isn't at yet fully trained in my anit-social ways. :roll:]

Have a great birthday celebration tomorrow (maybe leaving me a piece of PBO’s cake, somewhere where the cake lovers won’t find it and finish it off)!

August 3, 2013 at 9:05 am

Have fun, vc! I’m right there with you on the camping thing:) My family knows that “camping” to me…is at the Hyatt or something:) Why I should think that sleeping on the ground is a relaxing get a way…is beyond me!

• 82 99ts
        August 3, 2013 at 9:25 am

I went camping ONCE – when in the throes of love – it would have been a short romance if I ever had to do such a thing again. Five star does me fine – even if we can only afford a night or two.

August 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

I did it TWICE, 99ts! The first time it rained, I got water in the tent, and the air bed wouldn’t inflate. At the urging of the friends who had invited me to join them in this absurd ritual, I decided to give it a 2nd chance. That was two times too many, IMO! Since we had young families we were trying to entertain over the summers, we compromised and found a campsite that had its own REAL cafeteria, rustic cabins AND hotel-style cabins, and tent sites; so for a few years everyone was happy. I must say that the mother who was gung-ho about tents only lasted one more year in the tent before booking a hotel-style cabin with the rest of us – her kids didn’t like sleeping in the tent while the rest of the group was ‘inside’. ;)

• 84 99ts
            August 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

I got a tick in my back – we had nothing to use to get it out & ran into an army group out on bivouac – it was April & freezing & we headed into some National Park amenities & in came the sergeant – told us what wimps we were & got the tick out. It itched for years. We had a tent way to small for the number of people and it rained – so I got into the car and refused to move until everything was packed up and we headed home. No way do I do that again.

Anyhow – do enjoy the cabins – I usually enjoy a trip – as long as we avoid camping :)

August 3, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks, Df. I’ll try. I really will, all the time thinking about what’s happening at TOD’s PBO party. ;) They chose this weekend because it’s a long week-end here. Don’t laugh, but I’m in-between ironing my camping clothes (I have this obsession with ironing) and taking my own sweet time packing.

• August 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

Have fun vc! Looking forward to your camping story when you get home! :-)

August 6, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thank you, D-ette, it was fun! These cousins’ ‘cottage’ turned out to be a real house (hardwood flooring and lots of windows), with lakefront view. It was really nice – all the comforts of home with a solid dock and a lake steps away. All the cousins who came love to fish (except moi), so most of the time was spent on the dock, or in a boat (sans moi), or playing around in the water (except moi) – an ideal time away because offspring had company to be adventurous while *I* could be my usual non-participating self WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY. :grin: It really was fun for all.

August 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

OBSESSIVE ABOUT IRONING??? Oh! Come to MY HOUSE:) I don’t “do” ironing:)

August 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

:grin: I’ve broken myself from the weekend ironing for the week ahead, but still can’t wear stuff that’s straight from the dryer. I’m working on it though, so picking up your load won’t help, Df. ;) Plus, I don’t love to do it – I’m just obsessed about wrinkles.

31. August 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

Good morning, TODville!!

POTUS just left the WH for Camp David, golf clubs in tow!!

August 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

So I wonder is he playing golf at Camp David or he will play golf before and then head to Camp David? Either way I hope he enjoy his golf game, and have a wonderful birthday with his family at Camp David.

• August 3, 2013 at 9:05 am

I hope the girls are home from camp!

• August 3, 2013 at 9:07 am

Oh, it looks like he’s not going to Camp David but to Andrews AFB for a large golf party. Reggie Love will be there, too.

August 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

That great journalists Mark Knoller said that POTUS will be spending part of the week-end at Camp David, but he has left time open for you know what…..to play some golf. So maybe he will play golf first, then head to Camp David. I wish I could get out there once and try playing some golf, just to see what’s the big deal. I admit I am no fan of the game, but to all those that are, enjoy. I hope POTUS have a nice day, birthday week-end.

• 96 JER
        August 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

August 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

Suh-weet! Have yourself a great day, Mr. President!

32. August 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

I need a digital hug. My oldest brother, born in 1938, died in his sleep this morning. I’ve already lost a brother in 1998 and a sister in 2008. I don’t know how my mother even copes anymore. She’s 92.

For years, I have promised myself that I would get closer to my relatives. I need to talk to my Mother more, and my remaining siblings more.

• 99 sherijr
      August 3, 2013 at 9:14 am

Ohh Carol, I am so deeply sorry for your loss… my condolences to you, to your mom. Take care.

• August 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

Sorry to hear about your brothers death.
      Regarding getting closer to your loved ones, please, start doing it now.

I just lost by best friend … she was 56 – 7 years older than I am, but the best friend in the world. I feel sad about her passing, but one thing we have always done is to say “I love You” each time we speak or see each other. I have started doing that a lot …. expressing my feeling and reaching out more. I feel very good about doing that.

• August 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

So sorry to hear such sad news, Carol. You leave us with a good lesson – to share, to connect, to love. May you and your mother find some comfort in each other in these difficult days. Take good care.

August 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

{{{{{{{{{{Carol}}}}}}}}}}} so sorry to hear about this. Good thoughts go out to you and your family….I think that getting closer to your relatives is a fine thing to do…family is everything..especially your mom:) Hugs to you.

• 103 JER
      August 3, 2013 at 9:29 am

So sorry to hear of your loss, Carol. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal.”

• 104 99ts
      August 3, 2013 at 9:29 am

{{{{{{{{Carol}}}}}}}} so very sorry, and for your Mom also – our lives sometimes get so busy, we lose close contact with family – do hope you all find time for group hugs and talks and lots of good memories.

August 3, 2013 at 9:53 am

I join the rest in sending you my deepest sympathy on your lost. Bless you and your family.

• August 3, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thank you all. I’ve never met you face to face, but knowing you are out there is comforting to me. Here I am waiting to spend time with Mom and my cousins and nieces and nephews. My brother had a pacemaker-the last time I really saw him he was in good spirits anyway, being at peace with himself and his life.

• 107 ber6964
      August 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Carol my condolences and lots of virtual {{{{{hugs}}}}}.

33. August 3, 2013 at 9:24 am

My one condolence is that he didn’t suffer like my older sister did. We weren’t very close because when I was a little girl, he was already grown, married, and out of the house. But he loved to sing, and even had a singing group (gospel) for a time. He married twice, so I have a lot of nieces and nephews and even great-nieces and nephews. I want to get to know them better.

34. 110 99ts
    August 3, 2013 at 9:53 am

This was good to read

Twitter UK boosts anti-abuse tools after threats against women