Aug

1:40 PM: Arrives in Phoenix

2:10: Tours Erickson Construction

3:05: Delivers remarks

4:10: Departs Phoenix

6:25: Arrives in Los Angeles

7:30: Tapes an appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

By now, you may have heard of the campaign to undermine Obamacare that the conservative group FreedomWorks is running. If not, read Sarah Kliff’s article on it in the Washington Post. The article will take you inside the “Obamacare resistance,” as she calls it, where leaders are printing up fake Obamacare cards and urging young people to burn them in protest. The idea is to undermine the law: If only older and sicker people sign up for coverage in large numbers, then insurers will have to raise premiums, increasing costs for the govenrment and for those who buy without subsidies.

More here

President Obama walks with Chief of Staff Denis McDonough on the South Grounds of the White House, Aug. 5 (Photo by Pete Souza)

USA Today: President Obama, who has addressed VFW and American Legion conventions over the years, will speak this week to an extra-special group of veterans: The disabled.

Organizers of the Disabled American Veterans National Convention in Orlando announced Monday that Obama will address their group on Saturday.

First lady Michelle Obama will introduce her husband.

More here

Zillow

NYT: Someone Tell Cantor: The Deficit Is Shrinking

On Fox News Sunday, Chris Wallace asked Eric Cantor, the House Majority Leader, for a preview of what will happen the next time Congress needs to raise the debt ceiling. It was a remarkable exchange, in part because Mr. Cantor made a remarkable error.

…. For your convenience, we’ve highlighted the mistake. Mr. Cantor appeared to be defending his party’s shenanigans by arguing that the “ultimate problem” is the “growing deficit.” The thing is, the deficit is not growing. It is shrinking.

More here

Steve Benen: Florida’s Scott readies second ‘disgusting’ voter purge

The voting process in Florida last year was a national disgrace, which was unfortunately the result of a deliberate scheme – state Republican policymakers closed the early-voting window, cracked down on voter-registration drives, and created painfully long voting lines, especially for minorities and the poor.

But that’s not all they did.

Last summer, Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) launched an aggressive voter purge, which he claimed was necessary to remove non-citizens from the state’s voter rolls. As we discussed at the time, this too was a fiasco …. in an unfortunate twist, Rick Scott apparently enjoys this disaster so much, he’s ready to do it again.

More here

Charles Pierce: The Rugged Rhetoric Of Reince Priebus

Obvious anagram Reince Priebus, figurehead high priest of the Silly Party, has decided to butch himself up again.

…. Reince is never more adorable than when he pretends he is an Important Person Of Influence. Really. It’s like watching a toddler in a Mark Hanna suit.

Read here

Steve Benen: The wrong message for the wrong issue

Steve Benen: Can a president be a radical socialist and a Wall Street shill?

….. Republicans can tell Americans that President Obama is a radical socialist who hates free-enterprise capitalism, or they can tell us he’s a Wall Street shill, but when they make both arguments at the same time, it’s awfully difficult to take them seriously. Indeed, it reinforces the thesis that, even now, the right still doesn’t know how it wants to criticize the president.

But I also believe there’s another angle to this to keep in mind.

For good or ill, Obama has gone to extraordinary lengths to try to reach compromises with congressional Republicans, frequently offering to accept GOP policy goals that congressional Democrats find abhorrent.

But because so many congressional Republicans have become post-policy nihilists, GOP officials not only reject attempts at compromise, they often announce their opposition to whatever it was they urged Obama to do in the first place.

More here

Random pic from the last few days because, well, because:

President Obama boards Marine One to fly to Camp David on August 3 at Andrews Air Force Base

I completely missed this …. Jim Messina will be working for David Cameron? Seriously? (Michael Tomasky)

This is almost as awful as the prospect of Wayne Rooney playing for Chelsea.

Oh, I need a brandy.

Woah……

WP: The Washington Post Co. agreed Monday to sell its flagship newspaper to Amazon.com founder and chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos, ending the Graham family’s stewardship of one of America’s leading news organizations after four generations.

Bezos, whose entrepreneurship has made him one of the world’s richest men, will pay $250 million in cash for The Post and affiliated publications to The Washington Post Co., which owns the newspaper and other businesses.

More here

James Fallows: Why the Sale of the Washington Post Seems So Significant – A moment that will define an era’s upheaval in journalism.

Another exclusive™ from my break in the rain: I now know for certain that I am blood-related to my dog-nephew – he knows bay leaves are evil too. The leftovers from his dinner:

A huuuuuuuuuuge PS:

115 Responses to “This and That”

August 5, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Wow Chips. Fantastic!

August 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Congrats, UT (and I agree – fantastic, Chips!)!

• August 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm

UT, I can’t even remember how to do this, it took my 96 hours to put that together – I’m hiring you as a consultant, RIGHT NOW!!!

• 4 utaustinliberal
        August 5, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I noticed in the inner workings of TOD, you’d been working on this all day. I was a little bit concerned. I almost DMed you to ask if you needed help creating the post but decided aaah…she can do it. I believe in her!

Congratulations….96 hours later, you published the post! Hahahaha. :D

• August 5, 2013 at 11:12 pm

:lol: I had 1/36th of it done UT when, poooooof, my dingle dongle failed me and didn’t come back by the time I was heading out to dinner. My sister noted my annoyance, but then she spotted the PBO sticker on that car and shrieked to draw my attention to it, at which point I cheered up. And when I came home: wooooooooof, my dingle dongle was semi-functioning!! :cool:

August 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Eek. Almost as bad as accidentally having the Chris Hayes show on my teevee, is seeing Ezra Klein’s filling in for him. Eek.

August 5, 2013 at 11:09 pm

You still got it, Chips! :) Thanks….and can I just say that I am sad beyond words that President Obama will be here tomorrow and I will not be there to see him. You know why???? Because, on my last vacation day before school starts, I have to go to an in service in the completely opposite direction from where PBO will be speaking!!

I think smoke came out my ears. MY LAST DAY OF VACATION GOT TAKEN FROM ME! I coulda been there! I don’t see myself ever having the opportunity to make that happen ever again….I may have to join Chips in that brandy. So sad. Really madlingly sad.

4. August 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hey everyone;

How was your day?

Today is my birthday. My little sister came and spent most of the day with me. It was a good day. Don’t know what I would have done had she not been here.

August 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm

chips’ cooking

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6. 62 yardarm756
    August 5, 2013 at 11:51 pm

You gotta love those first row pressers. It’s almost as if they wanted the Embassies to stay open and someone to get killed so they could attack PBO for not being on top of things.-smh

• 63 nathkatun7
      August 6, 2013 at 1:04 am

So, so, true, Yardarm! I got fed-up with their stupid question, many based on parroting GOP talking points. I especially disliked the guy who used Lindsey Graham’s opinion as if it was a settled fact. He also kept flogging the Benghazi dog. I am sorry I could’t stomach watching after 10 minutes into the presser, so I never got to hear what the people in back rows asked, or were obsessed with.

• 64 99ts
      August 6, 2013 at 4:31 am

Of course they do yardarm – nothing “almost” about it.

7. August 6, 2013 at 12:04 am

Ooooooooooh: I now see a face in that pot…..

8. 66 nathkatun7
    August 6, 2013 at 12:21 am

A very Happy Birthday GB! I hope you are continuing to heal.

9. August 6, 2013 at 12:28 am

Happy Happy Birthday! GB & College Kay, we’re so glad you’re a part of the TOD Family!

August 6, 2013 at 12:35 am

PHOENIX (CBS5) –
    Air Force One will touch down at Sky Harbor International Airport on Tuesday and President Barack Obama will head to Desert Vista High School in Ahwatukee.

“You already have nerves for the first day of school and the fact that on the second day of school Obama is coming. It’s just like a crazy feeling,” said Desert Vista senior class president Rachel Clark.

The White House chose Phoenix to serve as the backdrop for a speech on housing and finance. Clark told CBS 5 News that it’s a topic that hits close to home for many of her classmates.

“I think some of us were lucky and very sheltered in that it did not affect us at all. But then the other half, a lot of us had to downsize on our house. Our rent went up and a lot of foreclosures happened. We all saw that,” said Clark.

On Monday morning, there was a line of students outside the gymnasium waiting to get their hands on a ticket. The entire senior class, close to 800 young men and women, are invited to attend. Local politicians and school officials from across the Valley round out the 2,000-person guest list.

School will be in session during the president’s visit. Everyone’s main goal is to keep things on campus as normal as possible.

“The White House staff has been in and out. They have been so supportive, communicating with us and appropriate staff on campus so we are dancing together,” said Desert Vista Principal Dr. Anna Battle.

The president’s speech is not open to the public, but CBS 5 News plans to carry it live starting around 1 p.m.

I didn’t put the link here on purpose…I think you can figure out why. There are some truly ignorant, ugly people in this world. On the bright side, the kids and the administration at the school seem really excited that he’s coming tomorrow:)

11. August 6, 2013 at 12:36 am

To GoBrooklyn and CollegeKay. . .

12. 70 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 12:36 am

Looks like I missed some slammin’ birthday yummies! Hope it was fun! :-D

August 6, 2013 at 12:36 am

Happy Birthday, CollegeKay:) I didn’t know it was your birthday, too!!! Hope your day was fabulous!!

14. August 6, 2013 at 12:45 am

Anyone who got a DM with a link from me, I am very sorry. I got hacked I guess. I haven’t tweeted since I figured it out. I’m not sure how to get back on twitter. I’ve tried changing my password. I guess I’ll try on the PC in the morning. The DM with a link was from someone I thought I knew. I didn’t know about not clicking a link in a DM. Hard lesson. Yardarm had the perfect story for me earlier with the computer. I thought I was safe on an iPad. Night.

15. 73 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 12:47 am
  16. 74 arkluvspbo
    August 6, 2013 at 12:50 am

Rick Scott is not human; I truly believe he is an alien…and I mean a real alien.

17. 78 globalcitizenlinda
    August 6, 2013 at 12:50 am

I despise otherwise smart people who willfully ignore the truth in order to make a political point based on lies!

So now the request to close US Embassies due to high terror chatter is a conspiracy to justify NSA programs ????? What is wrong with some people who see ONLY evil in each logical action ????

18. 79 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 12:51 am
    August 6, 2013 at 12:55 am

photo/1

August 6, 2013 at 1:11 am

Night everyone:)

21. 83 HZ
    August 6, 2013 at 1:12 am

Happy Birthday to our dear GoBrooklyn and CollegeKay. What a lovely day to share a birthdate with two beautiful TOD family members. We have such a great family here.

I hope the celebrations will go on and on for GoBrooklyn and CollegeKay. (((((((( Happy Birthday))))))))HZ

22. 85 lockewasright
    August 6, 2013 at 1:22 am

Sweet! Airplane is on the idiot box!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

23. August 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

Will end the day with this ….

…. i.e., don’t want this piece of human sewage merely to be called out on twitter, but prosecuted under all the laws he has violated – all of which are On The Record.

Yes We Can

24. 92 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 2:10 am
  25. 93 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 2:37 am
  26. 96 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 2:40 am
  27. 97 sjterrid
    August 6, 2013 at 2:41 am

Happy Birthday Collegekay!

28. 99 Dudette
    August 6, 2013 at 2:43 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! I don’t think the outcome would be what Reince thinks it would be!

29. 100 Dudette

August 6, 2013 at 3:16 am
  34. August 6, 2013 at 6:33 am

Hilarious!

Senator Obama Speaking at Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner

35. 109 globalcitizenlinda
    August 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

interesting to see how @lawscribe went about making a trace to uncover the source of threats & bigoted comments.

so the person who was sending the vile and threatening information to others was a graduate student in religious university? ???

• August 6, 2013 at 6:57 am

We see more and more people/groups hiding behind “religion” to justify bad behavior. But then, didn’t “Christians” selectively use scriptures to justify slavery?

• 111 globalcitizenlinda
        August 6, 2013 at 7:18 am

such past and present behavior give religion a bad name.

how did a graduate student think threatening people could not traced to uncover ID?

• August 6, 2013 at 7:46 am

There are some who believe that they have immunity to consequences for their actions. These are the “privileged” ones where entitlement is a way of life for them.

Then there are some that are just evil and depraved. They would probably welcome the notoriety resulting from their actions and may even be considered heroes or martyrs by others of their ilk.

Either way, they don’t care or have a care.

• 113 arkluvspbo
            August 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

GZ is one of those privileged ones that got away with it. As we see, however, karma does not work the same way human justice does, and in her own time they get what they deserve.

36. 114 sherijr
    August 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to College Kay and GoBrooklyn ~ I hope your day was brilliant and carries over in to today :)