Aug

News Of The Day

BRGNC_2CYAAQDXT.jpg-large

Pete Souza: President Obama shakes hands with troops at Camp Pendleton

AP: Obama To Speak At ‘Let Freedom Ring’ Ceremony

President Barack Obama will speak later this month at a ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. The White House says the speech will be delivered during the “Let Freedom Ring” ceremony on the Lincoln Memorial steps on Aug. 28. No other details were released.

Obama’s speech will come 50 years to the day after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. led approximately 250,000 to the National Mall in a march for jobs and freedom. King also delivered his signature “I Have a Dream” speech from the memorial steps. The March on Washington helped pressure Congress to pass the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts in 1964 and 1965, respectively.

More here

***

President Obama’s America. It’s Math, GOP!

Conservatives Really Really Really Hate Women

Way To Go North Carolina! This Is How You CRUSH The GOP

What Do We Want? Immigration Reform. When Do We Want It? Now!

Yay ObamaCare!

The GOP is a J-O-K-E

President Obama’s Response

White House Correspondents' Association (WHCA) Dinner Events

116 Responses to “News Of The Day”

1. 7 Roberta in MN
    August 7, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Good evening UT

2. August 7, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Been to busy to check in until now. thanks for this UT. You are better than the news any day.

3. 12 vitaminlover
    August 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm

The troops can’t get enough of our beloved President-just like us!

4. August 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Congrats on 1st Mary.

UT – yet another fantastic thread!! Thank you!!

#TrustBarack

5. 15 Nena20409
    August 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Fabulous Work by UT.

Thank You, lady.

6. August 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Great work, ut, and thanks for live tweeting on the earlier thread. I always feel like I’ve heard and understood the most important parts of the speech when you do that.

August 7, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I think choir boys have superior singing voices to their female counterparts. That’s my unpopular opinion I’m confessing. :(

• August 7, 2013 at 8:56 pm

?

I think most people would agree with you.

Our (male) band/glee club teacher in Jr. High (now called middle school) had this opinion, and back in the day, one of Disney’s Sunday night show was about the Vienna boys’ choir and how traumatic it was for the boys when their voices changed.

August 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm
    • 27 Ladyhawke
      August 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Wow, what an absolutely glorious smack down. Chris Hayes totally deserved that. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing HF.

• August 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Hayes needs as much smacking as possible.

You know that old saw about getting the mule’s attention first (by whacking him), that’s what Hayes needs.

I’m actually impressed that he’s self-aware enough to know that he’s viewed as an emoprog. But this realization has only come about by his being beaten over his virtual head with this truth.

• August 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Rep John Lewis is one of the very, very, very few folk I’d cut this much slack ….

August 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I will agree with you Bobfr. I will show Mr John Lewis all the respect he deserve, but I will tell him that I respectly disagree with him about Edward Snowden. 100%

August 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm

By the way, the Guardian (and it’s emoprog readers) misquoted the good Congressman’s words. I read the article and he did not actually say or imply that Snowden did the right thing. The Guardian took his words – which were stated in abstract terms – as specifically referring to Snowden.

Here’s the Guardian’s excerpt:

// Asked in interview with the Guardian whether Snowden was engaged in an act of civil disobedience, Lewis nodded and replied: “In keeping with the philosophy and the discipline of non-violence, in keeping with the teaching of Henry David Thoreau and people like Gandhi and others, if you believe something that is not right, something is unjust, and you are willing to defy customs, traditions, bad laws, then you have a conscience. You have a right to defy those laws and be willing to pay the price.”

“That is what we did,” he added. “I got arrested 40 times during the sixties. Since I’ve been in Congress I’ve been arrested four times. Sometimes you have to act by the dictates of your conscience. You have to do it.” //

Apart from the part where the Guardian *claims* that Lewis “nodded,” he did not say that Snowden did any of these things. He used the word “if” to suggest that civil disobedience occurs only if these other conditions are true. But we know that in Snowden’s case, these conditions are NOT true, and therefore civil disobedience does not apply to Snowden.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Well done, hf.

We’ll see.

#FORWARD

• 33 Claire
          August 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

To me Mr. Lewis comments specifically exclude snowden because he was not willing to “pay the price”… he has not been arrested. He ran to Russia like the coward that he is. The guardian misinterpreted Mr. Lewis remarks in my opinion.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:20 pm

That is my preferred interpretation, as well, Claire. It will be fantastic if Rep Lewis now makes that point, explicitly.

August 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Exactly Claire – that’s just the point I’m making. Glad that others are noting the distinction between Lewis’ words and what the Guardian put out there. :)

• August 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Snowden is not a hero to me, but I understand that some people are genuinely concerned about NSA’s conduct, although I’m not sure what the shock is since NSA didn’t just start its surveillance program during the Obama administration. Glenn Greenwald has a personal vendetta against President Obama, which makes me skeptical of his claims, even if some of what he’s saying is true. And Snowden is tainted — no way he’s just like Civil Rights activists. How many Civil Rights activists fled the country in the 50s/60s?

• 37 57andfemale
            August 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

What frustrates me is that those that so many of those that are concerned are just screaming lunacy & conspiracy theories that rival the tea party. We should be able to have a serious discussion, but Snowdenwald and many progressive radio hosts are not willing to even concern themselves with national security and safety and intelligent means of combating a new type of threat and the balance that we need to strike. There should be no balance, to them. We should have absolute privacy. That’s an immature pipe dream, and these guys should damn well know that. We can’t have a decent debate if they continue to say stupid things like the ‘NSA Thought Police are monitoring our every word’ and believe that Manning was ‘disappeared’. Excuse me, Manning had DUE PROCESS, you loons.

The fringes are running the debate, which is just crazy.

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
          August 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hf, if Snowden had had one tiny fraction of the conviction and courage that Congressman Lewis has, he would have taken his punishment. Instead he ran away and made an international disgrace of himself. Congressman Lewis was arrested, beaten and endured untold hardship for what he believed in. He stood firm and is a true hero. Snowden wanted to be protected from his own actions at any cost–even to pledging allegiance to the Russian flag. The Congressman is being generous and magnanimous to suggest that Snowden was anything but a self-serving weasel.

• 39 theo67
          August 7, 2013 at 11:32 pm

They conveniently ignored the fact that Rep. Lewis also you have to be willing to pay the price. Snowden doesn’t want to pay the price.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Bobfr, FYI, @MagicalEarth mentioned on a previous thread that @BradASchenck is OFA’s Twitter Warrior.

@BradASchenck Twitter Profile:
        Digital Strategist for @OFA. Formerly #Obama2012 Lifestyle tweets on yoga, enviro, cycling, live music, anything arts, veggie food, sports. #OFATweeters
        Chicago · barackobama.com/stories

I know you posted your well-considered thoughts about personal medical records, and thought he might be able to expedite distribution of your thoughts. August is THE month for OFA to push the benefits of Obamacare.

• 45 nathkatun7
        August 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Great tweet, Bob! I totally share your sentiments. I have not read the actual transcript of what Congressman John Lewis said. But, on the basis of what’s being reported, I respectfully disagree with him. Snowden was not motivated by conscience and appeal to a higher law. Unless, of course, one thinks that Russian laws are morally higher than U.S. laws. Divulging U.S. secrets to foreign adversaries and then escaping to avoid facing up to the laws you violated is not civil disobedience. As far as I am concerned, Snowden committed an act of treason.

• August 7, 2013 at 10:42 pm

“As far as I am concerned, Snowden committed an act of treason.”

We share that opinion, nath.

And, as far as I am concerned, Greenwald, Poitras, Guardian, WaPo, and others aided and abetted that treason.

As the President noted in his dialogue with Jay Leno, my hope is that all are properly represented by lawyers and brought to trial.

#TrustBarack

• August 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm

He’s on vacation. Can’t he just go away?

• 48 nathkatun7
      August 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Great response by POU! Ironically the same people who would not allow John Lewis to speak at OW Atlanta, because he was not pure progressive enough, are now using his (mistaken, in my humble opinion) statement to justify their attacks on the President.

9. August 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I really wish our lazy media wouldn’t roll over and play dead when it comes to challenging “conventional wisdom.”

Infuriates me that they make big bucks by reporting only on the shiny object of the day.

The MSM didn’t push back or follow up on the ridiculous Laffer curve of the 1980s. And if Reagan’s aides had their way, Star Trek would have been correct: the world healing from WWIII:

10. August 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Does anyone know if Congress was in session August 28, 1963? Just curious for some reason. I wrote my two Senators and my Congresswoman what their Town Hall schedules would be and haven’t heard from any of them.

August 7, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Don’t write. Call. Demand to know. I have to do the same and got home from work too late. Tomorrow. For sure.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm

August 1963 – September 1963

“August 2. From the time House Subcommittee No. 5′s hearings ended on August 2 through most of September, administration officials, subcommittee Democrats and Republicans, and the House Republican leadership negotiated the bill’s provisions. The problem was to write a bill that would be supported on the House floor by a substantial number of Republicans, whose votes would be needed in concert with northern Democrats in order to defeat the southern Democrats (and non-southern conservatives who might support them) in attempts to water down or kill parts of the bill.

September 10. Celler’s subcommittee began markup. Markup is a process by which a bill is read sentence-by-sentence by a clerk. As each section is read, members can offer amendments to add, revise, or delete language. Each amendment is discussed and voted on by a voice vote, a show of hands, or a roll call. After all the sections have been considered, the bill (as amended) is put to a final vote by the chairman. If this process occurs in a subcommittee, the bill, if approved, goes to the full committee which, again in closed session, can accept the subcommittee measure in its entirety, completely reject it, amend it, or simply not act on it at all. In response to Birmingham bombing on September 15, the subcommittee reverses course and begins to strengthen the administration’s bill.

September 11. Alabama Governor George Wallace backed down and permitted integration of public schools after President Kennedy federalized the Alabama National Guard.

September 15. Four young African-American girls were killed in a church bombing in Birmingham. Twenty other youngsters were injured. Rioting killed two more children.

September 25. House Subcommittee No. 5 tentatively approved a more far-reaching civil rights measure than the administration had proposed.”

So, it’s very likely that Congress did it’s usual August recess in 1963, but it’s also clear that both the Executive & Legislative Branches were working on what would become the Civil Rights act during August, Sept 1063 – and the motivations could not have been stronger for them to do so.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Bob. That’s interesting. I seem to remember Pres. Johnson leaning on Western R’s to help get it passed too.

• 57 nathkatun7
        August 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Great recap of the period, Bob! I think what changed the dynamics and eventually resulted in a passage of a stronger bill than originally written was the assassination of President Kennedy.

• 59 57andfemale
      August 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm
  11. 65 anniebella
    August 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Have POTUS arrive back home yet?

August 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

PASS THIS AROUND! Twitter brigade….

13. August 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

No one should skip any election, mid-terms or special, city or county elections! I was catching up on my local news and read about a city council meeting. I don’t live in city, but as county residents we pay city tax. Yes, stupid. What upset me is their discussion of residents be part of the efforts to beautify our town by purchasing trees or benches as a memorial to loved ones. Sounds like a nice idea right? Well one city councilman did not want any memorials to people who died by suicide. What an ugly form of discrimination. Why would anyone have to know how someone died? There are so many Veterans committing suicide will they mark them with an S? How are we supposed to treat mental illness when it’s considered a character flaw and not a disease. A former city councilman committed suicide a few months ago. I wonder if it’s aimed at him? No wonder we have such a high suicide rate in WY.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm

If you were a veteran and served your country it should not matter how you died. Only someone who has never served (I bet that councilman never served in a war or volunteered) put these kind of limitations on honoring our troops. Too bad people like him can be shamed into not honoring our troops like they did the DEM during the Iraq war.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Some are voicing their concerns about what he said and how he said it. I would think the city/ county would get sued for discrimination. We need to vote him out. But I can’t vote in city elections. :(

• August 7, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Good for you, CarolMae for going to Enzi’s town hall. He strikes me as an honorable man, probably as worried about the loons from his party’s extremes as progressives are.

Don’t forget to take this list with you:

• 82 theo67
        August 7, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I managed to listen to a bit of Randi Rhodes’ show today, and she played footage from a NC town hall, where the people were armed with serious facts. They asked the congressman why we’re supposed to believe that cutting taxes creates jobs when the evidence points elsewhere – and when he tried to distract from the argument by claiming that they were playing the “blame game”, they brought him right back to the point. You can probably find it on her homework page on http://www.RandiRhodes.com

• 83 jackiegrumbacher
      August 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm

You make a critical point, Carol. There are local elections this November that will help shape how our communities are run. We can’t concede any office at any level to the GOP. Register, get people out to vote–every year.

14. August 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Thanks, HF2, here’s my push-back to that not-too-bright emoprog Hayes:

• 86 Sandy1110
      August 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

That’s what I’m seeing on the blogs. They cherry-pick the good stuff that makes Snowden sound like he’s remotely in the neighborhood of King or Gandhi (NOT!), but ignore the fact that he was too chickenshit to face real consequences.

• 87 arkluvspbo
        August 8, 2013 at 8:12 am

I find it interesting that there are really only two pictures of him…one from the screen capture of his original interview and then the one of him standing before the committee or whatever they are and he looks really pathetic. That is how I picture him…a pathetic, scrawny loser.

August 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Excellent push-back Arapaho!! That fool needs to know we’re not stupid and not about to let the MSM distort the good congressman’s words to fit their dirty agenda.

• 89 theo67
      August 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm

This is why MSNBC is an opinion channel, and not a news channel. Any fool can get on TV and spout their nonsense – we have to avoid being fools and not watch them. There’s too much to do.

• 90 arkluvspbo
        August 8, 2013 at 8:13 am

I trust our POTUS and I trust TOD — really, the only sources that to me, tell the whole truth.

15. August 7, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Hellooooooooo everyone. UT? Your posting today (well, every day) ….. you’re a golden nugget, that’s what you are!!!! Thank you legend.

16. 93 anniebella
    August 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Check out Lawrence O’Donnell in the Rewrite tonight were he goes after that racists fat whale Rush Limbaugh because Rush that fat cow is going after our First Lady about helping our kids with childhood obesity.

August 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm

How much does Rush Limbaugh weight? 250, 300, 350,400. He need to get off his fat behind and move some. I remember when Rush was taken to the hospital because they thought he was having heart problems. I recall saying it can’t be his heart, because the racists pig have no heart.

• August 7, 2013 at 10:49 pm

What did you think of the crazy lady, Julia at the top of the show. She needs to move to Russia. Sounds like she has a crush on him.
      We got a thunderstorm warning during the show so I missed part of the start of his interview with George Takai. Need to check out his op-Ed.

August 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm

CarolMae, I think Lawrence didn’t fall for the B.S. she was talking. And he let her know he wasn’t buying her B.S. Putin was in control of everything that happen, he could have sent Snowden back to the U.S. if he wanted too.

17. 98 anniebella
    August 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

POTUS just arrive back at the WH.

18. August 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm

David Axelrod mentioned he was just in WY. It’s not so bad. ;)

August 7, 2013 at 10:31 pm

UT – Thanks for this magnificent recap of the “news of the day,” most of which I missed. Love the smiles of the faces of the Marines in the top photo!

20. August 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm
  21. 108 Dudette
    August 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm
  22. 109 Dudette
    August 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm
  23. August 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm

OK, more interesting things about WY and we do have a responsive twitter from Dept of Interior. All POTUS fault. ;)

August 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm
  25. 113 cos
    August 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Lawrence sure slammed Limbaugh. He really did defend our dear FLOTUS and her obesity program. :)

August 7, 2013 at 10:58 pm

COS, Bravo to Lawrence. He told the truth about Rush and Palin. Yes he slammed that Rush whale. And I enjoyed every minute of it. I hope Rush did.