Aug

News of the Day

Barack+Obama+President+Obama+Meets+Greek+Prime+d6k7FYVJJkYx

President Barack Obama met with Prime Minister Antonis Samaras of Greece in the Oval Office of the White House. Obama and Samras discussed a range of bilateral issues during their meeting.

lies

AJC: U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a man in high demand as we approach the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, recently sat down with The Guardian – the newspaper that Edward Snowden chose for his now-famous leaks.

The Atlanta congressman wasn’t thrilled with the results. Apparently, the headline – since adjusted – had him praising the former IT man for the NSA as another Gandhi….

…. Here’s the note put out this morning by Lewis:

“News reports about my interview with The Guardian are misleading, and they do not reflect my complete opinion. Let me be clear. I do not agree with what Mr. Snowden did. He has damaged American international relations and compromised our national security. He leaked classified information and may have jeopardized human lives. That must be condemned.

“I never praised  Mr. Snowden or said his actions rise to those of Mohandas Gandhi or other civil rights leaders. In fact, The Guardian itself agreed to retract the word “praise” from its headline…..”

More here

ThinkProgress: Voters Confront Congressman For Trying To Repeal Obamacare: ‘We’ve Got To Have It’

In Washington, D.C., Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) issues countless press releases boasting about his votes to repeal the Affordable Care Act, insisting that his constituents in North Carolina are clamoring for relief from the law. But during a town hall in Swannanoa on Wednesday, voters confronted the five-term Congressman with an entirely different sentiment: they demanded to know why Republicans would take away the law’s protections for people with pre-existing conditions without offering any credible other alternative for reforming the health care system. One grieving mother, who spoke to reporters before the event, said that her son was denied insurance because of a pre-existing health condition and eventually died of colon cancer.

More here

Pinterest: Vintage Black Beauty & History

Huge thanks to Yardarm for this link, it has a really beautiful, powerful, and thought provoking collection of photos. You must check them out.

Lawrence O’Donnell Demolishing Julia Ioffe’s Non-Factual Pro-Putin Nonsense

BRCBZxsCEAEt0oj.jpg-large

Zap2It: President Obama’s Appearance On ‘The Tonight Show’ Earns Top Tuesday Overnights In 21 Months

In Late-Night Metered Markets Tuesday night:  With a guest appearance by President Barack Obama, “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” delivered its highest rating in metered-market households (a 3.8 rating, 10 share) for any night of the week in nine months, since Wednesday, October 24, 2012 (4.0), the night of Obama’s prior appearance on the show, and highest for a Tuesday night in 21 months, since October 25, 2011 (4.1), the night of another appearance by President Obama.

More here

2013-06-17T194933Z_618024261_GM1E96I0AKK01_RTRMADP_3_G8

TIME: How Obama’s Putin Snub Is Playing Out In Russia

On Wednesday evening, when U.S. President Obama cancelled his upcoming visit to Moscow, the Russian reaction was perhaps most clear in the way that Vesti, the state’s main propaganda TV channel, conveyed it on the channel’s website. Buried about half way down on the page, underneath a story about Russian tourists in Turkey, Vesti announced: “The invitation for Obama stands.” Beside that was the somewhat diversionary headline: “Barack Obama will travel to St. Petersburg for the G20 summit.” The actual news — that Obama had decided not to meet with his Russian counterpart before, after or during the G20 summit in St. Petersburg next month — was clearly not something the official spin doctors wanted to advertise.

After a year spent honing their anti-American rhetoric — on issues ranging from the adoption of Russian children to missile defense in Europe and the civil war in Syria — the Kremlin message makers were suddenly eager to claim that President Vladimir Putin didn’t really mean for things to go this far. “Sure, Putin uses this rhetoric, but it’s not so much anti-American as anti-Euro-Atlantic,” says Evgeny Minchenko, a Kremlin-connected political strategist. “And keep in mind that he has tried to stop short of a head-on collision.”

Putin has not yet replied to Obama’s snub, but most experts found it hard to see how he could spin it in his favor. “He can again say that he did not bow to American demands, that he did not obey,” says Alexander Konovalov, an expert on U.S.-Russia affairs at the Moscow Institute of International Relations. But that message has grown hackneyed over the past year of bickering between Moscow and Washington, so it will not earn him many points with the domestic electorate, adds Konovalov.

More here

@JeffersonObama

AP: Obama To Honor Clinton, Oprah With Freedom Medal

Clinton and Oprah Winfrey will be among 16 people that President Barack Obama will venerate later this year with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the White House announced Thursday. They’ll join other prominent people to be honored this year, including musicians, scientists, activists — even an astronaut. “This year’s honorees have been blessed with extraordinary talent, but what sets them apart is their gift for sharing that talent with the world,” Obama said in a statement.

Others who will receive the medal: Daniel Inouye, former senator from Hawaii, World War II veteran and the first Japanese American in Congress. Inouye will receive the award posthumously. Ben Bradlee, former executive editor of the Washington Post who oversaw the newspaper’s coverage of Watergate. Sally Ride, the first American woman to fly in space. Ride will receive the award posthumously. Richard Lugar, former senator from Indiana who worked to reduce the global nuclear threat. Gloria Steinem, writer and prominent women’s rights activist. Ernie Banks, baseball player who hit more than 500 home runs and played 19 seasons with the Chicago Cubs.

Bayard Rustin, civil and gay rights activist and adviser to Martin Luther King Jr. Rustin will receive the award posthumously. Daniel Kahneman, psychologist who won the Nobel Prize in Economics. Loretta Lynn, country music singer. Maria Molina, chemist and environmental scientist who won the Nobel Prize in chemistry. Arturo Sandoval, Grammy-winning jazz musician who was born in Cuba and defected to the U.S. Dean Smith, head coach of University of North Carolina’s basketball team for 36 years. Patricia Wald, first woman appointed to U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and became the court’s chief judge. C.T. Vivian, civil rights leader and minister.

More here

Stephen Freaking Colbert For The Win!

BRKgUepCUAAt9UF.jpg-large

Pete Souza: Instagram of Bo in the Oval Office.

160 Responses to “News of the Day”

August 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    August 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Can’t believe I hit first, UT! Now I must scroll back up and look at all the goodies you gave us – thanks so much!

August 8, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Wait up! I’m coming.

August 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm
      August 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Ron Fournier and Glenn Thrush “skeptical eye” heads explode in 3…2..1..

• 15 Vicki
      August 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I just Love it when our beloved POTUS gets a huge audience!

• 16 Vicki
        August 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm

And makes great use of the opportunity to fill the country in on what matters!

• 17 arkluvspbo
        August 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

The body language says it all. Comparing the two pictures of him with Leno and him with Putie. The differences are stark…it’s like those picture games, Spot the Difference.
        I just love love love him, and yes, I’ve Got His Back.

• 18 arkluvspbo
      August 9, 2013 at 9:34 am

The 2 last times, according to the article the ratings were that high, was when POTUS was on, both times.
      People LOVE our POTUS!

5. August 8, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I lifted this from Dudette last night. It was a hit on twitter. Old quotes are still appropriate. . .

6. August 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Utal for the news.

7. 24 anniebella
    August 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm

College Basketball college Dean Smith will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award. University of North Carolina Tarheels Coach.

8. 29 GGail
    August 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Every time I see that pic of POTUS with Putin, I smile. It looks like a parent looking at his child and saying “oh really now”

9. 31 Bill R.
    August 8, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Rep. Luis Guttieriez is reporting he has 40-50 GOP votes for immigration reform. If so, why isn’t Nancy Pelosi filing a discharge petition to force a vote??

• August 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

To file a discharge petition a certain interval needs to elapse and I don’t think they count recess time in the equation – may be incorrect on that but have no doubt she will take whatever action she can to force a vote. Remember that at least 218 reps will have to sign the discharge petition to force the vote. Those GOPers would be sticking it to Boehner, Cantor etc not once but twice if they follow through on what they’ve ostensibly told Rep Guittieriez – let’s hope they do!!

10. 33 anniebella
    August 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I love the picture of Bo in the Oval office

11. August 8, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Poor little Chrisie Hayes ….

12. 38 vitaminlover
    August 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm

What I love and so admire about President Obama and his family is that no matter how much those ignorant, stupid fools keep yelling about them they just keep going Both he and First Lady Michelle keep on keeping on. I think knowing that people like us love, trust and respect them energizes and encourages them to keep going. They are not fools. I am so glad that they continue to go on the Tonight Show and other shows and also go and talk to different groups of people. I am glad hat they talk to the American people and continue forward. He is such a visionary. I am glad that First Lady is encouraging people to exercise and eat well. I am very proud of them. They are classy and courageous and so intelligent and diligent. They are outstanding and I truly admire them. I believe in them. God bless them.

August 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I agree vitaminlover.

• 40 arkluvspbo
      August 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

vitaminlover, you have said it all.
      My heart bursts with joy knowing they are our representatives in the White House. For far too long we have folks that perhaps haven’t had our best interests at heart.
      The Obamas — ALL of them, including BO are OUR family.
      I WILL meet them one day.

13. August 8, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Evening TOD!

Matt Damon an totally miss me with this mess.

Matt Damon: Obama ‘broke up with me’

August 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I can’t speak for everyone, but you know what lamh36, no one up here gives a dam what Matt Damon thinks.

• 44 LDS
      August 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

He still has Ben Afflec, right?
      Stop whining, Dude, and make a decent movie already.
      It is not about you! Never has been and never will be.

Get over it! And by the way, it is President Obama, to you….
      Got it!
      Proceed, Mr. President.

August 8, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I’m wondering if Damon have a movie coming out and he need alittle attention. And I don’t watch his movies, never have.

August 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm

What’s with the the clamoring for this President’s personal love/affection/attention among these idiots? He’s the US. President – not your damn boyfriend/girlfriend.

Get over it Mr. Damon, and no, I’m not watching your next stupid movie, if that’s what you’re soliciting.

• 47 dotster3
        August 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm

What??? He’s _y boyfriend just ask _r dotster

• 48 LDS
        August 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

HF, I feel you.
        These Dudes really think they have arrived. Most of them can’t act their way out of a paper bag. There are so many worthwhile actors who may never get the chance to toned their craft because of the color of their skin.
        I applaud Tyler Perry for giving some us some great actors with skills.
        Spike Lee can sit his ass down at his Knicks seasonal tickets or make some more movies about real historical people.
        Mr. Yardam posted a variety of pictures earlier to start with..
        My father used to say, “Put up or shut up.”

Sorry to take it there, but these Dudes are pissing me off right about now demanding all kinds of shit from our President as if he is a “one-man show.”

August 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

They are truly obsessed with this President. Check out the pic of a Snowden “Yes We Can” poster in a comment I posted below. There is a serious “Obama” complex going on here….

• 50 LDS
            August 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

HF, I saw it and I think it’s more than a complex.
            It is a privileged attitude with a deep rooted desire to be like PBO when and if they grow up. Which will never happened.
            My opinion is they are so pissed an AA man is the President of the U.S.A.,their brains cannot process it, yet.
            Especially, the so- called emoprogs a.k.a. emperors.
            They are really losing it. They just don’t know when or how to quit. Sounds like an under cover republican to me.

• 51 nathkatun7
      August 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Damon does indeed act like a jilted lover!

• August 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Matt is entitled to his opinion, but I’m glad each and every day that President Obama is in the White House. I shudder at the nightmare that McCain/Palin would have been or that Romney/Ryan would be now.

President Obama has definitely done the very best that he could given the economy he inherited from Bush/Cheney and the wars he’s had to end and the Repub congress that does nothing but obstruct him.

He has accomplished a whole lot in the last 4 years and I’m sure he has much more to accomplish.

Love him! Sorry Matt, that he’s not meeting all of your dreams and fantasies. Too bad for you.

• 54 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      August 9, 2013 at 12:13 am

“Well, Matt, I just saw ‘The Adjustment Bureau,’ so right back atcha, buddy!” Ha!! Love the President’s sense of humor!

August 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    • 56 99ts
      August 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Good to see – even Fox realizes attacking the administration all the time is not good for ratings – I liked this extra snippet in the link

“Before Chris Hayes came along and sunk the Rachel Maddow ratings ship, the MSNBC host was beating Hannity in the demo”

August 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Yes, I liked that snippet the best!

• 58 99ts
          August 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm

It seems MSNBC will need negative ratings before they realize their “used to be” audience does not like the continual attacks on PBO nor the continual love for Snowden & GG.

August 8, 2013 at 9:13 pm

So far, I haven’t seen them respond much to the negative ratings, but here’s hoping.

• 60 99ts
              August 8, 2013 at 9:15 pm

By negative, I guess I meant ratings approaching zero and beyond. Perhaps when he has NO viewers they might realize Chris Hayes is a turn off.

August 8, 2013 at 9:18 pm

It’s amazing to me that they thought he’d be any good at having his own nighttime show, to begin with …

… he kinda reminds me of what we used to call “turnabout day” in high school, when the students would take turns playing the teachers for individual classes. At least that only lasted A DAY!

• 62 arkluvspbo
                  August 9, 2013 at 11:07 am

Turnabout Day…what a fantastic thing to do. Too bad they don’t have that now, kids could really benefit. I guess you could say I’m a motivational speaker, of sorts, and this would be a great thing to do in my meetings. :)

August 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm

It was fun and educational (although, as teachers, we’d “assume” the idiosyncrasies of the real teachers, for a little gentle mock in front of the class!).

• 64 pkayden
      August 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Sounds too good to be true. I’ll wait to actually see it happen. I never watch Fox News so I only hear their crazy rants/raves when they’re featured on liberal talk shows. Hannity is always one of the worst, just a little behind Limbaugh. I think that whole Sandra Fluke name calling incident has really hurt rightwing talk shows overall. Was just too ugly.

August 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I believe you’re right. The Sandra Fluke incident was the beginning of the end, as it should have been!

• 66 HZ
          August 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I do not ever want to speak out of line in this beautiful space. I hope that I will never disrespect Chips rules and the wonderful space here with any of my loving TOD family. I really do have a deep appreciation and gratefulness for finding this wonderful site. I know that we are so blessed to have all that Chips pours into this space. That is my personal spiritual belief. However, I am not one to ever intend to come across as some ‘Miss Pious’ in our family. I am far from that. Believe me.

However, I need to confess to my loving family that I totally respect each of my TOD family’s beliefs. These are personal, private, and ours to own and practice in our personal and loving matter. I am in a family of all walks in their loving beliefs of life that deals with how they approach their personal spiritual beliefs daily, and we always respect and show our love for each other by keeping that loving respect in check.

But I must confess that I hold dear a reading of the psalms to give me comfort and give me a guidance in dealing with difficult times in my life where I need to read something that will allow me to tap into my core soul to get a little help from the power that I feel is greater than I am in handling these difficult days and times. I cry often because of the ugly and vile things that are said, being done, and completely obstructing this president like I have Never seen in my life. Really, this stuff is nasty and evil towards this president. It hurts so much that I just cry out to Almighty to please help me get through these days and remaining days of President Obama’s presidency. So I lean heavily on Psalms 37 and 27. Those two give me much comfort and encouragement daily.

My confession to my family is that I pray(by calling out names ) in my quiet and loud times of supplications and confessions for the known enemies of our president to be dealt with. When my heart is so full and my hurt is so painful, I cry, yes I cry hard as I pray through psalm 37. ” Fret not thyself because of evil doers or be envious of those who do wrong, for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.” Then I have prayed for the likes of Sean, Rush, Mitch, ,Cantor, Boehner,; oh, the list is so long and all of ‘Pox’s Shows’ and so many others. I even have a note book that I keep as I go into my prayer and meditation times. And I have seen many serious outcomes because of prayer. My dearest and best friend are prayer warriors, and when something happens concerning our president; we call and discuss our prayers from our journals and see how prayers have been answered. Just saying.

Please forgive me, if I have confessed too much, but I am one who will boldly pray for help. I do not have money, but I do use my gift of prayer warrior to help the causes. I have had to lean on my prayer life since I was is in college, and Lord Have Mercy, I have seen miracles take place in answers.

I will never wish anything bad on anyone, but I will confess, I do ask for things to get better and justice to be done. I just believe quietly and respectfully. No harm. But I do believe we will see many more things come to a good ending to the many enemies of this president because of the many wonderful prayer warriors all across this nation who are daily praying for him and his administration. There is a huge group all over this country who pray daily for our president’s enemies who are working against him and the precious people of this nation..

I hope that I will not offend anyone, because we all do not believe the same or not at all in a higher force, but we still do what we can do with dignity and respect for each other and try to make sure that we keep this place for supporting POB as Chips has always asked us to do. But I just could not help sharing this when I read earlier about some people at Pox Shows and even some in congress. Persistent prayers of a righteous person prevails much. ((((( Please do not throw me out of the family that keeps me so joyous in support of POB and to be able to work in my senior days(even as I did in my younger days in my space) TOD and family is such a beautiful and loving family who helps so many of us to still be able to share our gifts, our work, and our respect and support for POB.))))))) HZ

• 67 vitaminlover
            August 8, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Just lovely, HZ.

August 8, 2013 at 10:24 pm

HZ – It was so meaningful to me to read what you said about all of the “prayer warriors” around the country and around the world who are sending up their joyous support for President Obama. Whether belief systems are the same or not among any of us, we here all know the importance of figuratively standing – or kneeling – together and putting our own arms around the First Family in our hearts, to keep them safe and to use the full weight of our love and support to help the President get his job done in the White House. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are living in wonderful times, no matter what evil lurks.

• 69 arkluvspbo
            August 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

“And I have seen many serious outcomes because of prayer.”
            YES, HZ. I have as well.
            We are in very good hands.
            Thank you for your inspiring words.

• 70 99ts
        August 8, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Fox listens to ratings – that is what they see as important. It is the main guide to advertisers (money). The episode with Ms Fluke cost the talk shows money – that is all the right wing understands – their complete morality is based on money.

August 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    August 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm

For some weird reason this made me think of Chipsticks (whom I haven’t seem much of while I’ve been dancing in and out).

17. August 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm

WOW!!

August 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm
  19. August 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I’ve been busy on Twitter today, stealing links from TOD.

@MagicalEarth posted this link earlier, and I *had* to tweet this article because I LOVE the AP photo.

Paging DesertFLower, this is the goodness that you missed on Tuesday!

20. 84 99ts
    August 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm

GM from my world – it was great to see the John Lewis retraction – yet another reason why no sane person will give interviews to media people whose main aim is to distort reality. Snowden sure got his reality distorted by the Guardian – so no surprise they try to find someone/anyone to support him.

Also loved the ratings for Leno – sure puts a damper on those who think people are against PBO.

Thank you for a wonderful collection of the good news UT

• 85 dotster3
      August 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I see there is an “Australian Sarah Palin”—–who thinks Isla_ is a _ountry and other nonsense (unable to type letter after L and letter after B) Who is this brainia_?

• 86 99ts
        August 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm

We have a few of them – not to mention politicians who swear they have retired – and then come back for another go at the public purse.

I had to google who you were talking about – she is from the one-nation party – our equivalent to the tea party – except we had it first – dumb, ignorant and racist to the core. They run for parliament because they get enough votes to qualify for the government funding – how to live on the government by any way you can.

• 87 LDS
      August 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm

99ts, GM! Rise&shine!
      The Guardian is not the only one distorted. WHPC are beyond pathetic.
      Did you read one of the questions a so-called journalist asked Jay today?
      I tell you it is enough to fire all of them and pick a whole new bunch.
      Tomorrow is going to be a classic(by our President), of course.
      These clowns think he is playing. He just told the Russian Punk FU. I cannot wait for him to blow their minds…..again.

Please God, let him drop the mic, please. Physically drop the mic in their faces.

21. 92 Jeff
    August 8, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I was reading how NPR and Holder had an interview and Holder is proposing major drug reform and stated that much of the drug laws have been applied unfairly, etc. I hope this is true. Hell I know it’s true as I’ve always believed in Holder even when others went against him.

• 93 pkayden
      August 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Great. Another reason why I’m glad President Obama didn’t listen to idiots and fire Holder.

• 94 arkluvspbo
      August 9, 2013 at 11:21 am

To all the naysayers, I would love to say, “I told you so.”, but I believe they are now learning their lesson. And with the whole Snowed fiasco, it’s really coming out in the open how desperate those people are.

22. August 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm

So excited to see my tweet in my favorite ~ The Obama Diary ‘News of The Day’ ~ Big Smile here…Thanks Ut ;-)

23. 96 LDS
    August 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Jeff, AG Holder is so smart. It is a pleasure and honor to see him and PBO working together.
    What stark difference between that buffoon Mitchell and Nixon, I believe.
    I felt so sad for his wife, Martha Mitchell. They treated her like trash. She had so much to say and they shut her down…or at least, tried to.
    Do you remember that?

August 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm
  25. August 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    August 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm
  27. 115 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm
  28. 116 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm
  29. 117 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm
  30. 118 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm
  31. 120 Nena20409
    August 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Jay “Clark Kent” Carney at the WH Podium doing his presser on 8-8-13 ;)

32. 121 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm
  33. 123 Dudette
    August 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    August 8, 2013 at 7:59 pm

ROTFLMAO! I’m looking at the pic of the Snowden “Yes We Can” poster in the tweet – who does Snowflake (and his supporters) think he is? Barack Obama? LMAO!

35. 143 anniebella
    August 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

What time is the press conference tomorrow?

August 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm

OUCH!

August 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm
  38. August 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m enjoying all the good news about ObamaCare rollout. On the CA story, 60% of uninsured in CA are Latinos. This is so good. There will be SO MANY people helped! I love it. They will also know that Obama does care and the government does want good things for their life. They might become aware of the difference in Democrats and Republicans in government. The GOP is being drowned out by the reality of implementation and can only whisper to their own poor followers. I’ve been wanting something to happen so that the low info, GOP voters discover they are lied to and this is it. And this is in a very big, personal way. They might question more and look for information in other places. Then we can begin to come into balance.

Latinos are focus of grass-roots outreach on Affordable Care Act

Liberal groups to counter anti-Obama healthcare efforts in August

39. August 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hey friends, Have been lurking lately……..back issues so going to dr. or getting a massage or resting/on ice. Feeling better tonight, but return to chiropractor tomorrow.

Wanted to share some info about a FB post from a former student and some comments of other former students. The status update said that she had just watched “A Place at the Table” (docu about hunger in America). She gave some stats about poverty and said “we are living in the wealthiest country in the world. …..And don’t get me started about the hungry children in the US because I will GO OFF.” One of her comments is that for nine months of the year, she sees its effect every day. Some other folks commented about how we fund our military to the teeth and cut funding for social programs…….other comments about people not having clean water……about serious lack of access to fruit and vegetables which leads to those on public assistance to purchase food that is so unhealthy….how our country subsidizes the farms which produce those foodstuffs much more so than farmers who grow fruit and vegetables. That person then said: Do you know why this is? MONEY! Plain and simple.Another one mentioned CEO’s salary…..that they make more than God while the employees have to fight for a living wage and public servants like police, fire and teachers often have to work extra jobs to make ends meet??????? and so on…….

All these commenters are ‘young’ women my daughter’s age (early 40′s) with young/elementary age kids. Some of them are teachers or other professional women. I have to say based on the comments, they are very well informed–sounded like what many of use say here. It gives me hope. BTW, they are all living in northern OH (Cleveland and west area). One of my comments was that I have one piece of advise: VOTE, VOTE, VOTE and make sure ALL their friends vote and make sure all those friends tell other people to VOTE. I said to vote for people who truly care about ALL people instead of a select few.

• 150 arkluvspbo
      August 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

Wonderful!! They are my age :).
      A few weeks ago, on the way from Dallas to Austin, I saw a huge banner off the side of the highway that said “register to vote” in big black letters!

August 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Is Fluke beginning to get all emoprog now?

• 152 COS
      August 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I don’t know what is contained in the bill, but I hope she remember to put the blame where it lies and realize that it is probably better than nothing at all.

August 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The interest rates are tied to the financial market – low for now, but will rise as the economy gets better and interest rates rise.

Now this can always be amended if necessary, if and when that time comes. So I think it’s better to take the low-rate bill for now, and then address the rise when it happens.

I notice she hasn’t mentioned the GOP at all – she only mentioned PBO signing the bill, as if to say he should veto it. But if he veto’s it, the rates will simply default to even higher than they would be under the bill. So I’m not sure what exactly her solution is.

• August 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Not surprising from her.

She’s always seemed like an opportunist to me. Reminds me of Zerlina Maxwell who along with Melissa Perry Harris bashed PBO for not “siding” with single women.

It’s an MSM disease, abetted by Hayes and Maddow. The problem with cable now is it elevates people with thin to non-existent resumes to roles of pundits, when they have little or no real-life real-work experience.

I really wish these people would listen to themselves speak, and remember that one of our President’s best qualities is his EMPATHY. Do not jump on what he says without putting words into his mouth, and how you’d be lovin’ it with NO TERM MITT in office.

• 155 arkluvspbo
      August 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

She is also endorsing Christine Quinn. My best friend lives in NYC and does not like CQ…I’m not liking Ms. Fluke very much. She could have gone a different path, but it seems as though she is choosing the wrong one.

41. 156 LDS
    August 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I cry tears of joy for this wonderful man caring that we all get and deserve affordable health care. It makes my heart feels good.
    May God continue to bless him and empower him like never before at that press conference tomorrow.
    Let me be clear……..let’s give them something to talk about!

42. 158 Claire
    August 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Wow, I’m still going through it all, but what an outstanding gathering of “news of the day” utaustinliberal!!

So much information, thank you!