Aug

Afternoon Delight: Movie Villains

The GREATEST movie villain of all time. I saw Hannibal Lecter when I was younger; don’t think I slept for a whole week. Anthony Hopkins?! Wow!

*****

Heath Ledger’s Joker was brilliant. BRILLIANT. Jack Nicholson didn’t do The Joker justice. The Joker is not supposed to be silly. He’s evil. There’s nothing good about The Joker. Heath Ledger became The Joker and scared the living crap out of everyone because he showed how a conscienceless person can turn a civilized society into savages in the blink of an eye.

Tell us yours.

121 Responses to “Afternoon Delight: Movie Villains”

1. 2 GGail
    August 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm

um, UT, I’m not sure where you’re going with this thread.
    If you’re trying to make me get off TOD and do some work….I think this might have done the trick :D

August 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Since I have enough difficulty sleeping under normal circumstances, Utal, I think I’ll skip over the shared clips. Thanks for the ‘warning’. :grin:

3. 15 pkayden
    August 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Actually the new movie, Elysium, features a great villain with a wicked South African accent played by Sharlto Copley.

4. August 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm

5. 18 yardarm756
    August 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Pet peeve of the day.

6. 21 Jovie
    August 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm

7. 24 MightyPamela
    August 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Agree, Anthony Hopkins, yum. Haven’t seen any of these dark flicks, but after Meet Joe Black, for a long time I thought I ought to marry Anthony Hopkins. :oops: (I got over it tho)….

8. 27 Jovie
    August 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm

NLRB at full strength as four Obama appointees are sworn in Monday
    Julian Hattem
    08/12/13 03:18 PM ET
    For the first time in a decade, there are five Senate-confirmed members on the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).…

9. 29 sherijr
    August 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I love that line: Why so serious? I say it to my dog all the time.. and he cracks up. okay I made that part up. And Hannibal Lector is an excellent scary character, I had read the book before the movie.. and Anthony Hopkins was perfecto as Lector.

• 30 utaustinliberal
      August 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm

You are so freaking cool! I have the Heath Ledger ‘The Joker’ poster and it has his manic expression with the words “Why So Serious?” and every time I look at it day or night (especially night), I grin because his Joker is oh so perfect.

10. August 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm

From the bottom of the previous thread ….

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It

11. August 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I was going to post the scariest movie I saw, but it has sent shivers up and down my spine again. I’m not going to inflict that on anyone. I think I had nightmares for a week. It was Rosemary’s Baby.

12. August 12, 2013 at 5:58 pm

To see the greatest movie villain ever, watch a movie called “I Saw The Devil”. I believe it’s still on netflix.

13. 38 Dudette
    August 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

On my top list of villains:
    HAL – 2001 A Space Odyssey
    Norman Bates – Psycho
    Amon Goeth – Schindler’s List
    Mr. Potter – It’s A Wonderful Life
    Hans Gruber – Die Hard
    Wicked Witch of the West – Wizard of Oz
    The Borg Queen – Star Trek First Contact

• 39 sherijr
      August 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm

ohh Hans Gruber… definitely a great bad guy.

• 40 Dudette
        August 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Only one on the list that I had a crush on. :-)

• 41 sherijr
          August 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

yep he made that character. I do have a soft spot for the evil guys who are funny too… I think another one is the King in the Princess Bride… “I’m going to cut your heart out with a spoon”

• 42 Dudette
            August 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Not quite. That was Alan Rickman again (same guy who played Hans Gruber) in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. He was the Sheriff of Nottingham. Another one where he’s bad, but still sexy.

The bad guy in The Princess Bride was Chris Sarandon (Susan’s ex), playing Prince Humperdinck. Another classic, by the way. :-)

• 44 utaustinliberal
      August 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Ralph Fiennes (Amon Goeth) for the win. Saw Schindler’s List a while back and Ralph’s portrayal of Goeth was chilling. What a talented actor.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Yes, Hal was creepy. And of course Amon Goeth.

• 47 GGail
      August 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Now these types of villains I can tolerate to watch and hate. It’s the gory ones that I now avoid.

I agree Dudette – these are good ones

• 48 Dudette
        August 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Yeh, I don’t watch horror movies. So the villains in those are in a class by themselves. Psycho is on my list, because I saw it as a teenager. Going into the shower creeped me out for months after seeing that.

• 49 GGail
          August 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Just my older sister and I were allowed to see it and my sister was so mean to me afterwards, that for weeks, I would only take baths – no shower curtain for me – no way!

• 50 sherijr
          August 12, 2013 at 6:51 pm

yep no horror movies for me either… never really liked them.

Another scary villain – Dressed to Kill- now that movie scared me.

14. 51 sherijr
    August 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm

When I was very young- way too young, my mom and aunts sent me along with my older sister and cousins to a ‘matinee’ double feature in which one of the movies was about a man growing a second head on his shoulder… it started with just an eyeball.. I think it was called the “Two Headed Man” or the “Man with Two Heads”… anyhoo I literally had nightmares for years and have never forgotten it. Its been over 50 years since I saw it .

August 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm

This was shared earlier today, but as you are talking of villains, I figured the MoDowd person would fit right in. (The extract is from a Sullivan post. I particularly like that Sullivan accedes that PBO HAS CHANGED American politics.)

//…
    Then MoDo stumbles onto the truth … and leaves it lying there on the sidewalk:

‘His White House runs on the idea that if you are virtuous and true and honorable, people will ultimately come to you. (An ethos that sometimes collides with political success.)’

That “sometimes” is a classic. It almost reminds me of the Monty Python Life of Brian skit about “what the Romans ever did for us”. Obama’s political style is useless, apart from becoming the first black president, saving the US from another Great Depression, succeeding at getting universal healthcare, rescuing the American auto industry, presiding over a civil rights revolution, ending two failed wars, avoiding two doomed others (against Syria and Iran), bringing the deficit down while growing the economy, focusing the executive branch on climate change, and killing bin Laden. Yes his ethos “sometimes” “collides” with political success.

But no, he has never obsessed about whom the capitol is buzzing about – i.e. boomers and their Clinton obsession. Which is proof enough of his transformation of American politics. He has transformed it so much that MoDo cannot even understand how he has been so successful.

16. 62 sherijr
    August 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm

A character that scared me was the guy in GoodFellas… I am terrible with names anymore.. but the short guy, always smiling and talking fast ?? I don’t like Mobster movies- they all scare me- but my sons of course liked them and thus I’ve watched a few.

17. August 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

:shock:

18. 84 Jovie
    August 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm

RT this…

19. 85 Jovie
    August 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm

In an effort to solve the problem of child obesity, The White House is calling on the hip-hop community to help this generation get more active and achieve their goals. Michelle Obama and her “Let’s Move Campaign” are teaming up with the Partnership for a Healthier America and Hip Hop Public Health to promote and release a hip-hop album
    focused on the cause.

• 86 GGail
      August 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Jovie, thanks for posting this. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and thought someone had already posted it.
      I think it’s great that Doug E. Fresh & Dr. Oz along with others are supporting FLOTUS!

20. 87 lamh36
    August 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

The clown from IT scared the “ever-lving shhh” out of me back in the day. I was like 10-13! Also too Freddie Krueger too

21. August 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I’m sorry, maybe I’m falling prey to stererotypes of The Amish, but is this “Amish Mafia” show REAL??? REALLY?

22. 89 dotster3
    August 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

This is the rodeo announcer’s lawyer talking, but he said all the escalating, anti-Obama hysteria originated from the clown who wore a microphone—-who was fired. The announcer’s lawyer said the announcer, a rodeo official and a superintendent of schools, only said, “Watch out for that bull Obama”. Whatever the truth, a despicable event. I think the rodeo should fire the announcer and be barred from the fair as a result.

23. 94 Dudette
    August 12, 2013 at 6:58 pm

More Villains

Bad, baddies (but kinda Hawt):
    Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalban) – Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
    Wah Sing Ku (Jet Li) – Lethan Weapon 4
    Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) – Blade Runner
    Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) – The Matrix Trilogy
    Brandt (Taye Diggs) – Equilibrium
    Darth Maui (Ray Park) – Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace ( I just liked the way he moved, okay?)
    Bill Sikes (Olver Reed) – Oliver!
    El Indio (Gian Maria Volonté) – For a Few Dollars More
    Crassus (Laurence Olivier) – Spartacus

Bad, baddies with no redeeming qualities:
    Voldemort – Harry Potter movies (Rafe Fiennes plays evil too damned well)
    Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine – Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi
    Nazis – All of the Indiana Jones movies
    Gollum – Lord of the Rings movies
    Yellow Bastard – Sin City
    Bill – Kill Bill series
    Charles Manson – Helter Skelter

24. 107 Dudette
    August 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm

It wasn’t a “lone clown gone rogue”

25. 108 Dudette
    August 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm

August 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Horror
    1. The Shining
    2. Psycho
    3. The Exorcist
    4. Silence of the Lambs

Creepy
    1. The Omen
    2. The Others
    3. The Sixth Sense

• 110 WilTal
      August 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm

HF, how could I forget about the Shining…”honey, I am home (as he is banging on the door with an ax” and “I’m not gonna hurt ya, I’m just gonna bash in your head”. Redrum, Redrum!

• 111 Nena20409
      August 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm

The Bird that one was a bit cheesy in my book…..The Dawn of the Living Dead….gastly. I saw that one at Midnight.

North By NorthWest….Is a Fun one with Cary Grant. I have seen that one at least 5X.

27. August 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Denzel Washing in Training Day was a magnificent performance, so different from his usual MO. I couldn’t sleep after that. Johnny Depp in Once Upon Time in Mexico. Cool mean.

• 113 Dudette
      August 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I couldn’t watch Training Day all the way through. It was just too much for me to see my Denzel like that. I couldn’t take it.

Sorry to say, I’ve never seen Once A Time in Mexico either. But Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time in the West, was another one that disturbed me, because he was always such an upstanding citizen, if not outright hero. He played bad, REALLY GOOD in the one. :-)

28. 117 Nena20409
    August 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Per Smerconish on Hardball just now…..Negative Tweets of ACA outnumber positive tweets by 7 to 1.

That is just hard to believe. OFA do they not use the President’s Twitter followers to convey Positive messages. The TOD family here do. So I am suspect of that story.

29. 121 Atoilune
    August 13, 2013 at 7:56 am

Delurking to wish you a very Happy 21st Birthday Chips. 😊 Thank you for the great service and gift you’ve been offering at TOD.
    Bondye beni’w. 💐🍷🍨🍰