Aug

Rise and Shine

President Barack Obama plays basketball during a visit to the McIntosh family farm in Missouri Valley, Iowa, Aug. 13, 2012. The President toured a cornfield on the family farm to view the effect the drought is having on crops ( Photo by Pete Souza)

ThinkProgress: Dying Teen Is Being Denied A Heart Transplant Because He’s Had Trouble With The Law

Fifteen-year-old Anthony Stokes has less than six months to live unless he receives an emergency heart transplant. But his family has been told that Anthony doesn’t qualify for the transplant list because he has a “history of non-compliance” — partly due to his history of earning low grades and having some trouble with the law.

…. Regardless of Anthony’s specific past, his story fits into a larger pattern of racially-motivated skepticism about young black men. The routine criminalization of black youth — thanks in large part to the so-called “school-to-prison pipeline,” which funnels a disproportionate number of black teens into the justice system for minor infractions — ensures that teens like Anthony are often seen as threats. And once society labels those kids as criminal, suspect, or “non-compliant,” their lives are typically considered to have less value.

Full post here

ThinkProgress: Hardly Anyone Showed Up To Steve King’s Anti-Immigration Reform Rally

President Obama and the First Lady Michelle Obama leave after dining at The Sweet Life Cafe in Oak Bluffs, August 11

BRg7lztCcAAr4tx.png-large

USA Today: Chef Sam Kass Helps The Obamas, Nation’s Kids Eat Right (There’s video at the link. A delightful must watch)

White House chef Sam Kass eyed the corn ripening in the garden tucked in a corner of the South Lawn but decided to pluck a cucumber off the vine instead. “We had corn two days ago,” he explained. Vegetables and fruits are on the menu for the first family and for kids across the country who are heading back to school, a cause for Michelle Obama and Kass, the Obamas’ family chef and executive director of the first lady’s Let’s Move! initiative. In an interview Friday with USA TODAY’s Capital Download, Kass discussed the impact the campaign against childhood obesity seems to be having.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention made headlines last week with the release of a study that showed obesity rates among low-income preschoolers declining for the first time in decades — down in 17 states and up in only three. On the same day, Gallup reported that the percentage of Americans who went to fast-food restaurants at least once a week had dropped by 9 percentage points since 2006.

“I think we’re right at a tipping point,” Kass said, shedding his jacket as he sat at a picnic table in the sweltering August heat. The White House garden, the first big vegetable patch on the grounds since Eleanor Roosevelt’s victory garden during World War II, produces about a thousand pounds of produce a year. “Last year, fruit and vegetable consumption was up 6%, which came as a great surprise. We’re seeing much greater awareness across the board about what we’re eating and how much we’re eating and trying to make sure we’re getting balanced meals on our kids’ plates.” President Obama insisted last week on NBC’s Tonight Show that his favorite food was broccoli. Really? “Broccoli is a go-to staple here,” Kass confirmed. “He likes his greens. I mean, he’ll eat any kind of green vegetable. There’s nothing that’s not in play.” For Obama, he typically blanches the broccoli or sautés it with a little olive oil.

More here

naacp.org

Once again, Happy Birthday Chiparoo!

On this day:

President Barack Obama talks with Senior Advisor David Axelrod on the Colonnade of the White House, Aug. 13, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama and U.S. Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas discuss the 2012 Summer Olympic Games during an appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno”, Aug. 13, 2012 (Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

President Barack Obama greets Military Aide Lt. Col. Dave Kalinske and his family in the Oval Office, during Kalinske’s departure ceremony, Aug. 13, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

134 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 2 Cheryllou
    August 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

Good morning everyone. Delurking to wish Ms Chips a Happy Birthday! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful site. Enjoy your birthday.

August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

Is anyone having a problem logging in to twitter?

3. August 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

Love the photo of the Steve King rally. I bet the two ladies left when the realized they were missing Restaurant Impossible.

4. 22 JER
    August 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

LIVE NOW: NAACP News Conference from Raleigh, North Carolina. NAACP announces lawsuits on voter suppression – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

5. 25 Lynn
    August 13, 2013 at 10:01 am

Wishing peace, health and happiness to one and all in the TOD Family.

To Her Ladyship Ms. Chips….there are not enough words to show my appreciation for this incredible refuge and the wonder and wisdom of this community you have brought together.

Wishing you a wonderful birthday and many more, dear lady. I’m so glad every single day that you are here.

• August 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

Lynn, you’ve made me blush again – thank you for such a beautiful message, you’re TOO kind!!

• 27 Lynn
        August 13, 2013 at 10:06 am

Shedding tears of happiness just to be here!!! NO JOKE! Where’s the tissues.

• 28 Eveingeorgia
        August 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

Chips, I missed you big day(:: shame on me. But Happy birthday to a truly dedicated and inspiring person. Your blog has been my lifeline for the past few years. In fact, I was thinking about you a lot yesterday, wondering when you started TOD, and what inspired you to. Is there a written record, or history. I would love to read it.

Again, Happy Birthday to one very much appreciated lady!?!

August 13, 2013 at 10:05 am

GM, Utal, and thanks for your part in all this. This has already been such a terrific day, in honour of CC! Have to go to grocery – nothing here i WANT to eat. :grin: Hope you all, including the Obama, continue to have much fun. BBL

August 13, 2013 at 10:09 am

That little slip made me smile, VC – “the Obama” (like: “the prophet”) – Ha!

August 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

‘Little slip’? What little slip, JO’B – that’s what I intended to say all along. PBO is ‘the’ One. / :oops: Reread VC. Reread/

August 13, 2013 at 11:19 am

(I mentioned it only because I knew you could “take the joke”! No blushing required!) Big smile, now! :)

August 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

;) I know. I know. No explanations necessary. We old hats have no worries when poked.

August 13, 2013 at 11:29 am

Because we’ve been in the trenches and we don’t care! (It’s that ultra Obama confidence we all have. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. Ha! Love it.)

August 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

Some more good news – ACLU calls it a BFD, too!

August 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

G’morning UT, Birthday Girl Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Derbingle on #1! :) Thanks UT for the wonderful R & S, and Birthday celebration threads!!

August 13, 2013 at 10:19 am

Find a town hall meeting here: http://www.accountablecongress.com/ I’m reading that GOP reps don’t want to meet with their constituents this summer as often….even MORE of a joke. Call them up and request a meeting. THEY work for YOU. They should NEVER say they can’t do that….if they do, let the world know what they did. Liars and cowards.

August 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

They don’t want to meet because they’re too busy working with their Koch sponsors, planning racist stunts across the US made to look like spontaneous events, and pushing BS media narratives about PBO’s vacation and rehashing old narratives about First Dog Bo flying on private plane. That’s the “outreach” they are doing.

• August 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm

No one is scheduled for WY except Enzi. He’s not scheduled yet for his home town. Here. I’ve sent them letters and tweets. Next is the phone. Not that I have hope. But that won’t stop me.

10. 44 Lynn
    August 13, 2013 at 10:34 am

HELP! I know the President is planning a bus tour of Pa. and Central N.Y. August 22-23 and was going to deliver a speech while on this tour. This morning, GMA indicated those remarks will be delivered in Syracuse. Can anyone confirm? Please!!

• 45 Lynn
      August 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

I have to go out for a while, but I’m hoping someone will be able to find more info.

• August 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

There’s this:

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) – President Obama will be making a stop in Syracuse as part of a bus tour next week, a source familiar with the plans tells NewsChannel 9.

While White House officials have confirmed the president will tour Upstate New York and Pennsylvania to talk about jobs and the economy, specific locations have not officially been announced.

The tour is scheduled for Thursday, August 22 and Friday, August 23.

Obama will also be in the Binghamton, Buffalo and Scranton, Pa. areas, the source told NewsChannel 9.

AND this:

The president’s tour will coincide with the start of the New York State Fair, which opens Aug. 22 and runs through Sept. 2. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will be in Syracuse for the opening day, traditionally known as Governor’s Day.

U.S. Rep. Dan Maffei, D-Syracuse, is among those who invited Obama to visit the region. Maffei sent the president a letter in April, asking him to tour the Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn, where the congressman and others are trying to establish a national historical park.

Maffei wants the president to support the proposed Harriet Tubman National Historical Parks Act, which would establish the first national park in honor of an African-American woman.

• 47 Lynn
          August 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

All blessings to you, Meta!! Doin’ the HAPPY DANCE!! President Obama is gonna be HERE!! Just 20 minutes from me!! Oh what shall I wear?! Gotta tank up the truck!! Oooooh! There’s so much to do!!

All blessings to you, Meta!! Oh. I already said that. Faints deadaway.

• 49 JER
      August 13, 2013 at 10:58 am

The White House has not released details of any scheduled stop, but a source familiar with the president’s travel plans said Obama will stop in or near Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton and Scranton, Pa. on Aug. 22 and 23. http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Obama-expected-to-visit-upstate-4726107.php

11. 51 Eveingeorgia
    August 13, 2013 at 10:36 am

@Chips, did you see my belated message to you a little further back?

Need help, everyone. I am planning to attend President Obama’s speech on August 28. It is my understanding that Presidents Carter and Clinton are also speaking.

WHy is this not being advertised more? It’s not a sham, is it? I’ve reserved a room, so please help me to confirm that this is really happening. One would honk this event would be blasted on the airwaves.

• 52 donna dem 4 obama
      August 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

It’s fro real…It’s the Let Freedom Ring Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. I’ll be there with my family as well.

• August 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

RevAL’s OP-ED on the Federal Judge’s ruling on Stop and Frisk

At our march in Washington, we will be protesting against recent attempts at voter suppression and troubling ‘stand your ground’ laws. While we emphasize challenges that remain on the road to progress, we will praise all that we have achieved since the days when Dr. King delivered his impassioned ‘I Have a Dream Speech.’ It is our strong hope that we can add the elimination of ‘stop and frisk’ to that list. Now that a judge has validated the fact that the NYPD’s practice demonstrates a widespread disregard for the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, as well as violations with the 14th Amendment, we need leadership to accordingly.

***********************************

Interesting the comments on the page and twitter…re: Rev Al op-ed…..

there have virtrolic comments directed toward the NAACP..and Essence…and EBONY…etc..when blk folks fight back against racist actions perpetrated towards them…those same fols who are trying to impose that racist terror on us cry foul…because we as a people are just suppose to take it….and we always have to justify and explainnnnnnnnn why it is what it is…((deep breath))…i am ever grateful to the men and women in the blk community and indeed in all communities who continue to stuggle for Justice..Freedom…Equality…as James brown says…i would rather die on my feet…than to be living on my knees….

Forward>>>>>>

ps…i plan to be at the March on Washington..with my grandson…and i will March with my cane…..no matter how slowly.. i will March..

• 54 Eveingeorgia
          August 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

PrettyFoot, Thanks. I will be driving a scooter! Be there on the 27th. Traveling with my cousin and nurse. We should wear something to Identfy us as TOD.

• 55 Eveingeorgia
        August 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks, DOnna!

• 56 arkluvspbo
        August 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Donna Dem, I’ll be there too!

12. August 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

Happy Birthday Chipsticks and thanks for this great blog—my source of news. Today is primary day in NJ to pick the folks who will run for the late Sen. Lautenberg’s seat. Turnout is expected to be low.

August 13, 2013 at 10:43 am
    • August 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

We all know what the “I’m 21″ means.

Her real birthday – instead of the “official one as Queen of the Internet” – is the 29th of February …

• August 13, 2013 at 11:02 am

:lol: Min /smh

• 61 57andfemale
      August 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

amk, just taking this opportunity to express my condolences on the loss of your mother. She sounded like the most amazing, inspirational woman whose good deeds will benefit so many, for generations to come.

Her legacy lives through her son and grandchildren who are following in her footsteps, not only in career choice but through their principles and compassion. She must have been so proud of all of you.

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

14. 62 Layla
    August 13, 2013 at 10:46 am

Happy Birthday Chips!

15. 63 Judith Fardig
    August 13, 2013 at 10:54 am

Twitter still having issues. Maybe we busted it with all the partying for Chipsticks birthday.

August 13, 2013 at 10:55 am

Daily Kos joins the Republican Party in making offensive jokes about President Obama’s marriage to mock his policies.

• August 13, 2013 at 10:59 am

Oh good grief, my heart goes out to the decent people who keep on keeping on at that place, it’s a cesspit of hate.

• 67 Layla
      August 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

That site is so disgusting! Just outrageous!!!!

• 68 Jessica
      August 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

I didn’t get bringing up cheating. The comparison was to dishes how did it get to fb stalking and infidelity. Their attempt at snark.

August 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

Their attempt at driving up hateful, racist sentiments against President Obama – not much different from that Rodeo clown crap, just a little better disguised.

• 70 sherijr
      August 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

I see the same nasty commenters that were there when I left 3 years ago. DK has always and apparently will always be a racist’s haven. Cannot stomach any of them.

August 13, 2013 at 11:20 am

They are just as detached from reality as the far-right – it’s amazing you can tell they come from the same families, same communities, and have internalized the same prejudices and hateful attributes. A few of them think they are superior simply because they believe in same-sex marriage and want to smoke weed freely.

• 72 sherijr
          August 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

they are sickening. Now that I think about it, I left there in 2009 and not 2010- either way not soon enough. As Chips said: a cesspit

Yep they definitely believe themselves to be superior to everyone, most especially President Obama. I used to laugh- thinking why would I believe anything any of them said- over President Obama?? I listen and watch him every day, I pay close attention to him, his administration and all their doings… yet commenters on dk truly do expect to be believed- with their annonimity in tact- over President Obama. They are the ‘monied’ klan, nothing else, imo.

• 73 Lovepolitics2008
          August 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I certainly agree there are a lot of left ideologues at that site. But there are also, I’m absolutely convinced of that, republican operatives who come and go, and have a tendency to be more active and nasty when President Obama is having some success, or when republicans are in trouble… Of course in election years we see even more of them…

August 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I agree that GOP operatives flood the site at various times, but that is only possible because some of the so-called regulars at that site are in fact Republicans themselves hiding under the “progressive” label.

• 75 ericfive
              August 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Let’s not forget that Kos himself “was once” a republican. Most of the so-called progressives who are most critical of PBO are also “former” republicans. Kos, Huffington, Schultz etc.

• 77 arkluvspbo
            August 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Same thing for Huffington Post…the bagger operatives know these are popular liberal/progressive websites, so they infiltrate and people get fed up and leave.

• August 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

Can’t/won’t click on that link. They are beyond toxic and have been so for a very long time.

August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

Very toxic indeed. People need to be aware of the “stealth” but profound racism that exists on that site. The name “Daily Kos” needs to be stigmatized as much as Fox News has become.

• 80 57andfemale
        August 13, 2013 at 11:47 am

I had to go directly to the site to get it to open and post my feelings about this despicable cartoon.

This is the last straw for me.

• August 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

Daily Kos is truly vile.

• 82 jackiegrumbacher
      August 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Good grief, Hf, this is appalling. I’m so glad I left that place years ago. They’ve gone deeper and deeper into the mud.

• 83 arkluvspbo
      August 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm

WTH? That cartoon doesn’t even make sense, it just comes across as desperate and stupid.

August 13, 2013 at 10:58 am

IAB! The car that got a new battery days ago won’t start again, which only means there is more to it than battery problems. Now I am awaiting the mechanic. Oh well, I didn’t really WANT to go shopping today. ;)

• 85 Layla
      August 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

Oh dear! Two of my biggest fears…snakes and mechanics!

August 13, 2013 at 11:12 am

Yep! Except that I do like my current mechanic. What I don’t like are the $$$$ signs I’m seeing mentally since this is the third time in a week that she has refused to start in the morning. VC diagnosis = must be something going on under the covers that hasn’t been spotted yet. OTH, I didn’t have to go out at a time when I really didn’t want to and I have no reason to feel guilty that I’m being slothful. :razz:

August 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

No, no, remember clouds and silver linings. Had it been working I would have been on the road even now doing grocery shopping, so I couldn’t be playing in the village. :grin: They haven’t even picked it up yet so I’m saving my frown for the moment I discover what repairs will cost. In the meantime I intend to enjoy my interactions here.

18. August 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

A heartfelt happy birthday chips and thanks a million times for all you do.

19. 92 Jovie
    August 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

Rt

20. 93 HZ
    August 13, 2013 at 11:14 am

Good Morning my beautiful and brilliant Chips. (((((((((((((((((((((((( My Gift of Goodness)))))))))))))))))))))))))) Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday, my beautiful one. I have to make sure that I leave messages everywhere to my beautiful angel . I just cannot take a chance on my memory.

My sweet and beautiful, brilliant, and caring angel, get ready for the all day and night party. I am going now to pick up my cake. Already have the wine, tea, and ale. Glasses looking lovely on the sideboard. Music is beautiful. Candles will be lit throughout the day. Oh, Chips you bring out the most beautiful part of all of our souls. Thanks for allowing all of us to share in your special day. I know your day will be one of joy, loveliness, and many blessings.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I love you, my special angel of grace and beauty)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

21. 95 donna dem 4 obama
    August 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

GM TOD. Thank you UT for another great Rise and Shine. That, ” Nobody Showed Up Immigration Reform Rally” hosted by the crazy Steve King is a hoot :lol: He’s an idiot and doesn’t even know it.

Our President and First Lady looked very relaxed dining out on Sunday. And Ms. Chips have yourself a fantabulous birthday today.

Have a great O’Day everyone!

August 13, 2013 at 11:36 am

Whoa. Just in time for your big ol’ milestone birthday, Chips:

23. August 13, 2013 at 11:40 am

Do you know who you share a BDay with?
    Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock, KBE (13 August 1899 – 29 April 1980) was an English film director and producer. He pioneered many techniques in the suspense and psychological thriller genres.

24. 99 yardarm756
    August 13, 2013 at 11:41 am

Attention on deck. Admiral Chips passing on ?? birthday cruise. All hands salute!

25. 101 dotster3
    August 13, 2013 at 11:48 am

3 yr. old shoots dad in the butt during a target shooting outing. Maybe it would have been a wee bit smarter to take a 3 yr. old to the park instead—–or play catch in the back yard——something that didn’t involve a 3 yr. old access to a loaded gun. People are really dumb.

26. 102 Andy46
    August 13, 2013 at 11:50 am

Happy Birthday Chips
    Thanks for all you do

27. 103 japa21
    August 13, 2013 at 11:51 am

Twitter finally decided I was allowed back in to play.

28. 104 dotster3
    August 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

I agree—-this was great—–highly recommend

29. 105 Nena20409
    August 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday To You……POTUS is singing to our Simply The Best; Lady Chips

30. 106 Allison
    August 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm
  31. 107 Jovie
    August 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

A Terrier-Improved Malemute suborbital rocket carrying experiments developed by university students nationwide in the RockSat-X program was successfully launched at 6 a.m. EDT, August 13, from NASA’s launch range at the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.
    The RockSat-X program is conducted with the Colorado Space Grant Consortium. The goal of the program is to provide students a hands-on experience in developing experiments for space flight. This experience allows these students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to a real world hands-on activity.
    RockSat-X was lofted to an altitude of approximately 94 miles above the Atlantic Ocean before landing via parachute about 90 miles from the Wallops Flight Facility. Recovery of the payload is in progress.
    The students in the program will receive their experiments later in the day to see how they performed and begin data analysis. Additionally, several experiments transmitted data during the flight down to Wallops via a telemetry system on board the rocket.
    Image Credit: NASA/Chris Perry

32. 108 mela in TX
    August 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Good morning TOD! Feeling like crud over the past couple of days but wanted to pop in to wish Chipsticks a wonderful day filled with all her favorite things! Happy Birthday, Chips and many thanks for providing this wonderful space. Hugs!

33. 109 globalcitizenlinda
    August 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

On this, the birthday of the great Ms. Chips, I once again pause and reflect on the fact that this blogsite (a refuge from the cesspool of hate) was created and is maintained as an act of total dedication and love.

I marvel at the fact that come hell or high-water, Ms Chips and the dedicated team of “Mini Blog Tyrants” remain focused with their Eyes on The Prize and that the people who comment here share the same mission & empathy.

Of course its very important to acknowledge that ALL the work that so many put in here is NOT for monetary gain.

I Salute You ALL!

34. 111 GGail
    August 13, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Good West Coast morning (west coast time) Chipsticks & TOD family.

A very sincere HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister-friend Chipsticks!
    Where would I be without you in blog-land?
    I love you and wish you many many more years.

Now, because I spent all day playing hooky at work (who does that??) reading and chatting on UT’s great threads yesterday, I MUST do double work today.

35. August 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dear CHIPS….Love you, Love you Lots, for all you do to keep the world sane.
    Thanks for all your hard work and even more important, your brilliant sense of HUMOR :) :) You have me cracking up with laughter
    more times than you will ever know. You are one fantastic unselfish 21 year old lady.

• 113 dotster3
      August 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I second that—-I love chippy’s smart, cracking humor—–smart AND funny!—-the most excellent combo of all!

• 115 Dudette
      August 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Our guy is working mucho overtime!!! :-)

• 116 57andfemale
        August 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Bill Clinton sat at a position in history where he could have undone Reagan damage, but he had no problem with the damage Reagan had done. He could have reinstituted enforcement of anti-trust but instead codified into law the deregulation and consolidation of the media industry. So, from 1980 through 2008, anti-trust laws became a faint memory. Mergers went on steroids, the notion of a true fair market of competition became a pipe dream. I really thought the ship had sailed. If PBO had been given a decent Congress and McCain had not ushered in the tea party crazies by making it alright to have a dangerous, theocratic dingbat a heartbeat away from the Presidency, I think PBO and Holder could have prioritized rolling back some of these merger abuses. And even under perfect conditions, I would have held very little hope that they would have been successful.

And here we are – the Obama administration seeking to put the brakes on these abuses. A true, welcome breath of fresh air.

August 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Here’s the cartoonist who drew the offensive “Dirty Dishes” cartoon about PBO that was posted on DKOS. No surprise, this cartoonist is a typical Emoprog, but don’t call him that!!! They can dish o(no pun intended) on others but they can’t accept anything remotely truthful about themselves.

• August 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I disagree with him but personally I didn’t think the cartoon was that bad. I got a good chuckle out of it.

August 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm

You may not find it offensive, but many people did, and the racial sub-context was not missed by most. There is a reason this cartoon was rec’d by some of the most virulent anti-Obama posters on Daily Kos. If this cartoon was neutral or complimentary towards PBO, it would not have been posted. It was meant to be insulting and degrading. Nothing funny or clever there.

• August 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I disagreed with his premise but I just didn’t take it that way. If others found it offensive I can’t do much about that. I thought it was funny.

August 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m not blaming you at all DerBingle. You have a right to your opinions. I’m just saying that I (and others) thought the cartoon was offensive, and the most anti-Obama folks at Old Orange seem thrilled with it.

• 122 Sandy1110
      August 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Not surprising. The emos on another blog love Tom Tomorrow’s ‘toons. He’s playing their Snowjob song!

37. 123 Dee
    August 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Happy Birthday Chips! I wish you a wonderful and blessed day. Thank you for having TOD for us to come and read the truth about our President. Again enjoy the day. God bless!

38. 125 globalcitizenlinda
    August 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Is there any follow up news about Mr. Anthony Stokes – the 15 year kid who was denied a heart transplant?

August 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm
  40. 129 Jovie
    August 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I thought the ACA was upheld Chief Justice Roberts said it was a tax

Why is Oklahoma suing its tax provisions?
    Here we go again?

41. 130 Allison
    August 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm

So damn true.

42. 132 Cha
    August 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I came to wish you a Happy Birthday, Chipstar! It’s my birthday , too., and I feel honored that you were born on my day ’cause I’m older. :P

LOve you and your family! Cha

• 133 Dudette
      August 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Happy Birthday Cha!!! Snuck that in on us, eh? Well, we’ll have to do something about that!

• 134 Cha
        August 14, 2013 at 12:11 am

Mahalo, Dudette! BOGgers on DU.. threw a big party for me in the Barack Obama Group! Love my online Kindred Spirits who Love the Prez!

Aloha TODs and ChipStar!