Aug

Rise and Shine

8000542752_3ec7f87145_h

President Barack Obama has a foreign leader phone call in the Oval Office, Aug. 20, 2012. Pictured, from left, are: Chief of Staff Jack Lew; Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough; and Steve Simon, Senior Director for Middle East and North Africa. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (All Times Eastern):

12:45PM: Josh Earnest briefs the press.

2PM: President Obama honors Super Bowl Champion Miami Dolphins and their undefeated 1972 season.

FINAL_Movement_WaterFountains_1X

“Separate, but equal” drinking fountains in North Carolina, photographed by Elliott Erwitt in 1950.

TIME: One Man. One March. One Speech. One Dream

Fifty years ago, 250,000 people gathered on the National Mall for the March on Washington, where Martin Luther King Jr. shared his dream for America. TIME talks to the people who helped make the march a success—from civil rights leaders to Hollywood stars—and offers exclusive, unseen images from that transformative era.

[Harry Belafonte] “At the end of the Second World War, those of us who had participated in that conflict were under the impression that if we were triumphant over fascism and the Nazis, that the men and women who returned from that conflict would be celebrated and honored by our nation. Many of us went off to that war and didn’t have the right to vote. Many of us went off to that war and didn’t have the right to participate in the American Dream. We didn’t really think about this thing as a dream until Dr. King articulated it.

More here

Dan Hodges (UK Telegraph): Why does being a relative of Glenn Greenwald place you above the law?

Should being a relative of Glenn Greenwald place you above the law? I ask the question because many people are arguing Greenwald’s partner David Miranda should, in effect, enjoy immunity from investigation solely because his spouse writes very lengthy articles for The Guardian.

…. far from being a professional journalist working on a one of the most sensitive stories on the globe, Miranda was really just some bloke carrying something through customs for a mate …. Maybe in the excitement of his trip he’d forgotten he was carrying information that could potentially destroy the entire security apparatus of the Western world. We’ve all done it, especially if we’re rushing to get to duty free.

…. Why should David Miranda be allowed to happily saunter around carrying Britain’s most sensitive secrets simply because Glenn Greenwald is his spouse? Are we seriously saying the phrase “I’m with Greenwald” should now act as an international get-out-of-jail-free card?

It’s clear David Miranda wasn’t stopped because he was Glenn Greenwald’s partner. He was stopped because he was suspected of carrying classified information highly detrimental to the UK national interest. And if we don’t stop people because of that, who do we stop?

Full article here

Bruce Japsen: To Help Navigate ObamaCare, United Way, Catholic Church, Others Get $67 Million

The Obama administration today awarded $67 million in grants to more than 100 organizations who have “who have volunteered to help Americans learn about the health care coverage available in the marketplace.” The announcement is part of a major public-private sector effort to educate Americans, particularly the uninsured, on their options should they seek coverage on the online exchanges under the Affordable Care Act. Open enrollment for individuals eligible for subsidies to buy coverage begins October 1 and runs for six months for broader coverage that begins Jan. 1, 2014.

The awards include:  $300,000 to the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium;  the University of Arkansas, which will get more than $770,000; the Archdiocese of Mobile Alabama, which will get $20,000; the nation’s largest Catholic hospital and health system, Ascension Health, was awarded more than $160,000, and various United Way organizations across the country.

More here

Amanda Terkel: Head Start Cut Services For More Than 57,000 Children Due To Sequestration

Head Start, the federal pre-K education service for low-income families, has eliminated services for more than 57,000 children in the coming school year as a result of the federal budget reductions known as sequestration. The cuts include a shorter school year and shorter school days, as well as laying off or reducing the pay for more than 18,000 employees nationwide. Others eliminated medical and dental screenings and bus routes.

Head Start is best known for providing preschool to low-income students, but it supplies many of its 960,000 children with two hot meals a day, transportation to and from school and basic medical care. When these services are eliminated, it also affects parents, who often must find difficult-to-afford day care services or take off days of work to tend to their children. HHS data says that Head Start will have administered 1,342,015 fewer days of service nationwide because of sequestration cuts.

More here

NPR: You Ask, We Answer: More Of Your Questions About The Affordable Care Act

The Oct. 1 launch of the new health insurance exchanges is now less than two months away, and people are starting to pay attention to the changes these new marketplaces may bring to the nation’s health care system. We know it’s confusing, so we’re spending part of the summer and fall answering at least some of your questions about the law. You can see earlier pieces in our series here and here.

Today we’re answering questions regarding two of the more frequent topics raised: student health plans and possible penalties for failing to obtain health insurance.

More here

On This Day:

First Lady Michelle Obama and guests watch Big Time Rush perform during the Kids’ State Dinner in the East Room of the White House, Aug. 20, 2012 (Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

8000542928_decf136f19_h

President Barack Obama samples a baked zucchini fry in the Old Family Dining Room of the White House after dropping by the East Room for the Kids’ State Dinner, Aug. 20, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

126 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. August 20, 2013 at 10:00 am

Good Morning UT, TODers…Everyone!

I’m starting to feel soggy with all the rain, but at least we aren’t having a drought this year. Alas, I guess too much of anything can start to have its disadvantages.

Wishing Chipsticks a safe journey home.

Thanks UT for another U-Terrific Rise and Shine! :-D Though you wouldn’t know it from the MSM, there are a lot of important issues that people need to stay abreast of. You are exceptional at providing the things we need to know from so many different sources and points of view. The pictures/videos, tweets, etc. are a plus!

I have been enjoying the pictures and videos of Sunny (and Bo) and watching the media lose their mind about the new addition to the Obama family.

Everyone have a WONDERFUL day!

2. 3 Kyle
    August 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

Can someone pass the popcorn please?

Maybe some reality is seeping in and some sane GOPers are getting off that sinking ship…

• 4 99ts
      August 20, 2013 at 10:34 am

If you read the linked article – I think it is the insane ones that are leaving. As soon as I read that someone is complaining because they cannot sell raw milk (that caused major health issues pre the days of pasteurizing milk) – these are not any “sane” republicans.

“Therefore, for the above-stated reasons, we can no longer allow ourselves to be called nor enrolled as Republicans; we can no longer associate ourselves with a political party that goes out of its way to continually restrict our freedoms and liberties as well as reaching deeper and deeper into our wallets.”

• August 20, 2013 at 11:08 am

Aha. So it’s the Libertarians leaving the sinking ship. Good! Even if they’re not coming our way, anything that reduces GOP membership is good, I think.

• 6 Kyle
        August 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

Good take 99ts, i guess i read too fast and figured that maybe just maybe some sanity had crept in and some maine GOPers had had enough of planet fantasyland to come back to reality and work with dems to solve real issues. silly me, of course not! LOL!

• August 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Do they not want to take recommended immunization either? Crazy, crazy. I had a cousin who died before I was brown. He fell out of his barn at about age 13. It was before penicillin and in died a very painful because of an infection. My Mom also told me she bathed my brother every time she came home from town because she was so afraid of polio. Those were not good old days for some.

3. August 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you to utaustinliberal for always bringing the most pertinent, interesting AND enjoyable info and images to our attention. You are a great curator!!

4. 10 japa21
    August 20, 2013 at 10:10 am

GM all TODvillians and a special thank you to UT for another marvelous R&S.

Since Chips isn’t around and may never read this, I can say starting to get ready for the big trip Mrs. Japa and I are going on next week. First time away, just the two of us, for more than 2 days in 39 years. Be a real test of our marriage to see if we can han dle being around each other that much.

Going on an Alaskan cruise, first time ever on a cruise. Checking weather and after a beautiful summer up there, looks like rain all next week. We are not letting us get that down though.

Of course, the bad part is not being able to get online except very sporadically, so I may have a final comment on Saturday morning and then disappear for a while.

But then, not being aware of all the crap being thrown PBO’s way for over a week is not necessarily a bad thing either. You can reach a level of poutrage overfill.

Talk to you all later.

• 11 HZ
      August 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

GM, Mr. Japa. This is so exciting. Enjoy your cruise and just be as happy as you ever wanted to be. Hug, laugh, eat great food, meet lovely people and know that you and Mrs. Japa are so special to each other. ((((((((((((((((((( Lots of joys on your trip.))))))))))))))))))HZ

• 13 a4alice
      August 20, 2013 at 10:17 am

oh have fun Japa – I hear that Alaskan cruise is a lot of fun and very interesting!

• 14 mtmarilyn
      August 20, 2013 at 10:35 am

I am so jealous. That is the one cruise I want to take. I have many friends who have gone on it and love it. Have a great time. Can’t wait to hear the report.

August 20, 2013 at 10:48 am

You’ll LOVE to cruise after this! Best vacation my family and I ever took was a cruise to the Western Caribbean:) They are both adults now, and they STILL talk about that trip:) Enjoy yourselves….

• 18 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      August 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

Japa,

Went on an Alaskan Jazz Cruise Aug/Sep 2011. TAKE A HEAVY COAT AND GLOVES!

We had rain most of the trip, however, that did stop us from enjoying the beauty that surrounded us.

Enjoy!

• 19 GGail
      August 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Japa & Mrs. Japa – enjoy your cruise!

• 20 canadabarb4obama
      August 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm

If you are leaving from Vancouver, please let me know. I would love to meet up with you; there is a great side trip to Steveston, where I live. I think you can get my email address from Chips. The weather here is lovely!

• 21 jackiegrumbacher
      August 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Have an absolutely terrific time, Japa.

5. 22 HZ
    August 20, 2013 at 10:11 am

Good Morning to my TOD family. Thank you, our beautiful UT. You give us such lovely R&S. Sun is shining brightly just this moment into my bedroom. Thanks for all that you do, UT. (((((((((((((((((((((( Big Sunshine and Loving Hugs for you, from my heart to yours)))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

6. 25 a4alice
    August 20, 2013 at 10:16 am

wow wonderful rise and shine UT!!

7. 27 japa21
    August 20, 2013 at 10:16 am

8. 28 japa21
    August 20, 2013 at 10:17 am

9. 29 dotster3
    August 20, 2013 at 10:17 am

Poor me. I was just attacked by “killer” bees, or felt like it, while out watering bushes. I got 2 bee stings at the same time, one on the underside of left wrist and one on ring finger of left hand. One on wrist is really painful and swelling up big time. Maybe those bumps on President Obama’s knees were bee stings. :) Read to put a vinegar/baking soda mix on sting but that did nothing, now have ice on but that’s not really working either. Have some cortaid. Maybe that’s next. Ouch! Mean bees! Must have had an underground nest under/near bushes I was watering and were mad about the sudden downpour. I try to be nice to bees, shortage and all, but they are testing my patience,

• 30 mtmarilyn
      August 20, 2013 at 10:34 am

Be careful. We have wasps out now and they are vicious. Have you tried baking soda? I had heard making a paste out of it helps pull out the sting. Benedryl is what my son keeps on hand for stings. Take care.

• 31 57andfemale
      August 20, 2013 at 10:38 am

Take a benadryl just to be safe. Zyrtec might work too but it might take longer to act. I make sure I have benadryl for things like this.

If you take a benadryl, be prepared for doing nothing the rest of the day. They knock you out.

• 32 HZ
        August 20, 2013 at 11:06 am

Be so watchful of the stings, dotster. I had this happen to me while attending my precious mother’s funeral. Thank God my nieces were with me, and they went into doctor mode because I am seriously allergic to bee stings. I cried, shouted, scream and was so scared. My great-niece called the pharmacist and he told her what to rush in and get for me. And get me to a hospital ASAP if she and my nieces saw any of the things he mentioned to her.
        I had them call my dear neighbor in Cali., to ask what she used on her son when this happen. She told them what to do, and my oldest niece got the stingers out and they proceeded to put the paste on while my great niece ran out to get the Bee Sting med. from the pharmacy.

Please watch it and be careful. (((((((( Loving hugs.))))))))))HZ

I need to be careful today as well. I have a company coming to my home to wash and detail my car, and I want to be out there to watch him, so I am going to be watchful as well. I have some who descended upon my back patio early June, and I looked out and atleast 200 at least were all over my patio. I prayed so hard that whatever was taking place it would be done quickly and safely. They did disappear in about two hours. Then a sometime later, I saw the flowers that are ground covers along the river channel all with beautiful colorful flowers. But it was scary for those few hours.

Be care, dotster. HZ.

• August 20, 2013 at 10:46 am

If anything swells fast dodster, get to the emergency room now! Some people are allergic. Is someone with you?

August 20, 2013 at 10:52 am

Baking soda paste left on the stings….meat tenderizer might work, too. I KNOW those aren’t “killer” bees….if they were, you wouldn’t just have 2 bites…you’d have THOUSANDS. We have them here…nothing to mess with. Benedryl is a good thing to take…just in case. Hope you feel better soon. Little buggers.

• 35 HZ
        August 20, 2013 at 11:13 am

Dotster he pharmacist preferred kit that he gave to my great niece for me was “After Bite, The Itch Eraser.” I still have a kit that I brought home. I hope you will feel better, and if not please go to the emergency room like CarolMay suggested. HZ

• 36 Lynn
      August 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm

This is going to sound awful, but find a cigarette/stub.. Spit moisten the tobacco and apply to the site. Old farmers remedy, dotster3.

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
      August 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Dotster, call your doctors office and ask a nurse what you should do. Best not to fool around if you’ve got swelling.

10. 39 99ts
    August 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

Great article re GG thanks UT – especially this conclusion
    “Miranda was really just some bloke carrying something through customs for a mate.”

Every advice book on travelling overseas says “DO NOT carry a parcel through customs for a friend or a stranger”. Greenwald sure leads his friends astray

GG also refers to the UK as England – and is well criticized for it – what the Welsh, Scots and Irish detest is being treated as part of England.

• 40 MightyPamela
      August 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

HaHa, Dood was sold down the river, and he don’t know it yet. All pawns are expendable ~

• 41 99ts
        August 20, 2013 at 10:49 am

He really does lead people “up the garden path” – no room for enemies with GG as your BFF.

I have had to wait in a 2-3 hour immigration queue at both Heathrow and Honolulu. I was almost insane by the time we got out of both airports, not to mention having to listen to staff who were exhausted, overworked and plain mean. And I was simply going on a holiday/work trip. I cannot imagine being held in such a place for 9 hours (or 4 weeks) & I can’t imagine being asked to do this by my partner – ever.

11. 42 mtmarilyn
    August 20, 2013 at 10:22 am

Good morning TOD family. Here in MT we are fighting fires. Lots of smoke in the skies. It is hot and windy so the fires are burning out of control. Several homes are burned and Hwy 12 a main road between MT and ID has been closed. The best we can hope for now is that the winds die down. These fires are all from lighting. They are in the mountains and very rough terrain. Not easy to fight. We pray for cooler weather and still air. Would love some rain to come. But remember there is no climate change.

So love seeing Bo having a playmate.

Prayers for the Biden family and all those suffering today.

Such a great R & S UT. It is so great to come here and get the real news.

• 43 57andfemale
      August 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

Keep us posted on your fire and weather conditions. God!

Ditto – prayer and healing energy to the Biden family and Beau.

And although I’m thrilled with the new Obama family puppy, I really wish they had gone to a shelter. If PBO’s position on marriage equality could have such a profound effect on the popularity of the measure, imagine what they could have done for the millions of homeless dogs in this country.

Allergies? Please. I have asthma and know what mix I can live with and I have three dogs at any one time. There are wonderful pets looking for homes.

12. August 20, 2013 at 10:28 am

Great Rise and Shine UT!
    From DesertFlower in last thread. . .

• 45 a4alice
      August 20, 2013 at 10:42 am

thanks Carol!

August 20, 2013 at 10:53 am

thanks, Carol:) Off to work, but that is a must read!

• 49 57andfemale
      August 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’ll definitely read it on your recommendation. I unfollowed Ruffalo because of his canonization of Snowdenwald, but he’s still a serious progressive.

• August 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

I didn’t know about Snowden. Maybe he’ll wise up.

• 51 57andfemale
          August 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

I couldn’t stand it anymore. He was one of the worst even though we certainly agreed on everything else. The problem was, it was polluting my TL and I couldn’t stand it anymore. But he’s a good guy on everything else.

• August 20, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I Have stayed away from Snowden. & GiGi. GiGi poisons everything he touches and I just heard about the guy. I never followed Ruffolo on twitter so don’t know anything about him. Was really just tweeting the link for DF so I don’t know anymore about Ruffalo than what his article about abortion said. Or the movies I’ve seen him in and that’s not many. ;)

• August 20, 2013 at 12:27 pm

When you feel strongly about what someone keeps saying you should unfollow them. I don’t follow any news outlets and am cautious about retweeting their crap. I’ll usually read what is recommended here because I have a tough time keeping up. So many of the old photos posted of the Obama’s are new to me. It’s just so much easier to follow on an iPad than sitting at a desk. I’ll stand by your decisisions not to read someone you don’t like. I don’t have enough time to read all the people I do like. And I can’t type Happy Birthday right a on tweet that so many are retweeting. I’m so embarrassed. :oops:

• 54 57andfemale
          August 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Carol, you can and should make your own decisions. I started following Raffalo because he believed a lot of what I believed, and I’d hoped that if I had something to add to the conversation it would reach more people. But he jumped on the emoprog bandwagon on the NSA and I just couldn’t stand it anymore.

Hey, I still read and enjoy Charlie Pierce, but not when he’s on the NSA bandwagon. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice insightful writing because of the one issue. However, I found that my TL was getting a lot of garbage and I determined that Ruffalo was a reasonable ‘sacrifice’. It’s up to you. And the letter on pro-choice rights was excellent and beneficial.

• August 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I wasn’t following him anyway. So I’m not giving up anything. It’s good to know though because I am not that familiar with a lot of twitterers.

• 56 57andfemale
              August 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

At first, if someone followed me I tended to follow them. Then Liberal Librarian made the suggestion to at least read their recent timeline. That saves me a lot of grief now. I’m pretty insular and ‘conservative’ (I can’t believe I used that word to describe myself!) about who I follow. I don’t need pie fights and screaming matches and pollution in my life.

• 58 57andfemale
          August 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The typos! I get so embarrassed, too! You know you can delete the tweet and do it again. Then again, we should proof before we send, shouldn’t we?

• 62 57andfemale
      August 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Excellent post.

13. August 20, 2013 at 10:32 am

Happy Birthday TN Mtn Girl. . .
    Cake all day. . .

14. 67 MightyPamela
    August 20, 2013 at 10:35 am

And so, Full Moon tonight 9:45pm EDT, 28degrees 11minutes in the sign of Aquarius!! And yes, the last Full Moon was at 0degrees 06minutes of Aquarius, back on July 22. Hopefully shining Light into the Higher Mind of humanity! As well as good morning to all! Bon Voyage to our Chipsticks!

15. 86 99ts
    August 20, 2013 at 10:52 am

I just noticed Sen Cruz’s birth certificate – someone needs to ask for the “long form” – this one is way too small

• 87 57andfemale
      August 20, 2013 at 11:04 am

And a Canadian birth certificate is good enough for RWNJ’s but an American birth certificate, showing PBO born in this country and born to an American mother, was never good enough for them

• August 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm

What were his parents doing in Canada? He should keep it. He is never going to be president anymore than the crazy Swiss moss and I’m part Swiss. I’m an odd mix.

16. 89 japa21
    August 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

17. 90 Linda
    August 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

5 of the 1972 Dolphins are not going to the WH because they have “Political differences” with President Obama.

• 91 MightyPamela
      August 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Oh well, they lose.

• 92 criquet
      August 20, 2013 at 11:33 am

God gracious. What is happening in the US? People who have political differences can’t meet? Can’t be seen together or take a photo? A sports team is being celebrated not a political event.

This is beyond petty childishness and really needs to be ridiculed because such persons are not only showing their racism but letting down their teammates, families and themselves.

• August 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

They do not want to shake hands with the Black Man….

altho i know that PBO will carry on…it is just one more punch in the guts of blk folks…and yanno…the Press will make big of this because they use anything to try to slight the President…and by larger extension…they slight the blk community in general…

but i will add this…that everytime this happens it demeans us all as Americans…

Forward>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>despite them….

• 95 99ts
        August 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

And they are too c.s. to say so – so it becomes a “political” difference – and no doubt in 1972 they were voting for Richard Nixon.

• 96 Jessica
      August 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Their loss. What fool would pass up a chance to be celebrated by the President in the White House (especially now that it’s closed to the public). Oh well. I just hope they invited 5 more people to take their places.

• August 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Do you know which ones? I think I remember a few made a stick a few years ago about something. Can’t remember though.

August 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

Yay!

19. August 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

#WhatWillItTake – has been launched by @OFA for an all day push on Congress ….

Yes We Can

20. 102 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Up to my a$$ in alligators — good morning all, have missed you. Just wanted to remind everyone about the OFA day of action for GVP. Attached is info on our local event — check barackobama.com for an event near you!

21. 106 GGail
    August 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Three teens accused of murder of baseball player Chris Lane identified

This is so sad! The teen driver said they shot the guy because they were bored. Sad!!! This is the result of not having after-school programs and positive activities for teens – especially teens from troubled families. Kids are born bad, but with negative influences and no positive direction, they make bad decisions – life altering bad decisions.

22. 109 japa21
    August 20, 2013 at 12:36 pm

August 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Good morning, UT and TODville! Great trip home, Chips! Happy Birthday, tnmtngirl! So happy to see that tweet from Beau Biden!

UT – It’s so important when y’all use the old black and white photos to depict the vileness of segregation in our country. Whether we were all alive during those times or not, we can’t let anybody forget how recent that “era” was, and how we need to continue to try to find our better angels – toward a more perfect union. Thanks.

24. 111 57andfemale
    August 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

25. 112 57andfemale
    August 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm

26. 113 57andfemale
    August 20, 2013 at 1:18 pm

27. August 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Bloomberg, ACA given credit with other factors for slowing

Employer Health Premiums Slow for Second Straight Year

Health-insurance premiums to cover working Americans rose 4 percent this year, less than the previous two years in another sign that the cost of employee benefits for large U.S. companies may be slowing….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    U.S. Stocks Rise Amid Retailer Reports, Fed Stimulus Bets

…U.S. stocks rose, following a four-day drop for the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, as retailers’ results surpassed estimates and investors awaited signals on stimulus measures from the Federal Reserve….

…Investors have also been watching corporate earnings for signs of strength in the economy. Of the 467 companies in the S&P 500 that have reported results this period, 72 percent have posted earnings that surpassed estimates….

28. 115 Linda
    August 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Current/ Al Jazerra has disappeared from my AT&T Uverse channel guide…..

29. 121 yardarm756
    August 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm

G’day you lot. Time for noontime entertainment, eh?

30. August 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

This would never happen under a GOP administration. Will bring in big bucks.

This on 8/14

Cayman Islands, U.S. reach pact to fight tax evasion

(Reuters) – The United States has cut a deal with the Cayman Islands that will smooth implementation in the Caribbean island nation of a new U.S. anti-tax evasion law, while pressuring other low-tax and no-tax countries to follow suit.

Criticized by President Barack Obama and others as a tax haven, the Cayman Islands said it has agreed to cooperate with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), enacted in 2010 and set to take effect in July 2014…..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Today:

Caymans Accord Makes It Tougher for Wealthy to Hide Money

The Cayman Islands, known as a haven for wealthy Americans seeking to stash cash overseas without scrutiny from the U.S. government, is about to become less secret….

Switzerland and the U.S. signed an intergovernmental agreement in February to comply with Fatca. Separately, the U.S. and Swiss governments are negotiating the terms of handing over data about former U.S. clients suspected of tax evasion.

The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated in 2010 that the law would generate $8.7 billion in tax revenue over 10 years. Today, the IRS announced a new online Fatca registration system for overseas banks.

The agreement with the Caymans is another sign that U.S. taxpayers’ accounts are increasingly subject to government scrutiny on multiple fronts. Several other Caribbean jurisdictions with significant financial industries, such as Bermuda and the Bahamas, are among the dozens of countries having discussions about similar accords.
    “They’re falling like dominoes,” Brager said….

31. August 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

New Abortion Restrictions in States Are 0 for 8 in Courts

State legislatures trying to curtail abortions have suffered a 0-for-8 losing streak after court challenges to their new laws this year.

The laws, all but one signed by Republican governors, drew on ideas from a playbook created by an anti-abortion group. Democrats plan to use the attempted curbs to boost 2014 congressional fundraising and increase voter support, calling the laws part of a “War on Women…..

32. August 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm

The Obamacare Opposition Has Finally Caught Its Own Tail

It’s time to pop the champagne and blow the kazoos: the war on Obamacare has officially reached its point of reductio ad absurdum. Two of the opposition’s favored fevered conspiracy theories about the law have clashed, like two asteroids headed for the planet that smash into each other before they can do any damage below….

….Do you see where this is headed? The law forces Congress and its staffers into the exchanges…the law, in theory, allows for plans with abortion coverage to be sold on the exchanges…and, voila, the crash in the skies above….

33. 126 yardarm756