Aug

Rise and Shine

The Week Ahead:

Today: The President has no public events scheduled.

Monday: Will award Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter, U.S. Army, the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. Staff Sergeant Carter will receive the Medal of Honor for his courageous actions while serving as a cavalry scout with Bravo Troop, 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, during combat operations in Kamdesh District, Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on October 3, 2009. Staff Sergeant Carter will be the fifth living recipient to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan. He and his family will join the President at the White House to commemorate his example of selfless service.

Tuesday: The President will host a reception at the White House in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.

Wednesday: The President will deliver remarks at the Let Freedom Ring ceremony on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.

Thursday: Attends meetings at the White House.

Friday: The President will welcome President Toomas Hendrik Ilves of Estonia, President Dalia Grybauskaite of Lithuania, and President Andris Berzins of Latvia to the White House.

460x

The top of the Washington Monument and part of a U.S. flag are reflected in the sunglasses of Austin Clinton Brown, 9, of Gainesville, Fla., during the March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963; and at right, Claudia Hanes, from Kentucky, takes part in a rally to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 march, at the Lincoln Memorial.

AP: Marchers In Washington Across 50 Years

Some 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation freed America’s slaves, many Americans embraced the ideal of racial equality but were frustrated with the glacial pace of change. Organizers were making plans to bring people from across the country to the nation’s capital to express their exasperation in a peaceful, nonviolent manner.

On Aug. 28, 1963, men and women, blacks and whites, Latinos and native peoples, Jews and Christians — more than 250,000 in all — rallied at the Lincoln Memorial. The gathering stretched down the National Mall, past the reflecting pool toward the Capitol. The music and speeches they heard extolled the urgent need for social justice.

More here

March Then and Now Photo Gallery

Large crowds gather near the Washington Monument to demonstrate for the civil rights movement in Washington on Aug. 28, 1963; and at bottom, people hold up banners as they attend the rally to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 march.

March Then and Now Photo Gallery

Civil rights protestors march down Constitution Avenue carrying placards during the March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963; and at bottom, people rally at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 march.

USA Today: Women Play A Larger Role In 2nd March On Washington

In a departure from events a half-century ago, women played a larger role in Saturday’s commemoration of the March on Washington. “Fifty years ago, women were not up here speaking, but here we are today,” Terry O’Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, told a crowd that contained substantially more women than its predecessor in 1963.

Keynote speakers included Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., minority leader of the House of Representatives, and King’s daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, who offered a moving final prayer to close the event. Sybrina Fulton, mother of slain black teenager, Trayvon Martin, provided a tribute of her son, and Myrlie Evers-Williams, the widow of slain civil rights worker Medgar Evers, also addressed the crowd.

More here

Doctors Work Overtime To Spread The Truth About ObamaCare

ThinkProgress: New Obama Immigration Directive Eases Deportations Of Parents

Federal immigration authorities have been advised to consider familial connections when they detain undocumented immigrant parents, according to an Obama administration directive released on Friday. While the document does not prevent the deportation of undocumented parents or high-priority criminal immigrants, it does allow detained individuals to make caregiver decisions for their children.

The directive specifically advises immigration agents to exercise prosecutorial discretion as early as possible during an immigrant’s detention, including finding out whether detained individuals are primary caretakers. It allows for the creation of a “field point of contact” in which Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents receive and address inquiries from both detained parents and their families. Agents are also guided to place detained parents in facilities that are within the “area of responsibility,” or somewhere closer to their children.

More here

1377373739002-AFP-522297943

Sarah Jones: Dem Governor Sends Sens Paul And McConnell Reeling With A Powerful Defense Of ObamaCare

As Republicans preach hatred of Obamacare to a dwindling audience even among their own members, Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear chose to use the Kentucky Farm Bureau Country Ham Breakfast to make a powerful case for Obamacare to 1,600 diners. Republican Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, also attending, weren’t expecting the onslaught. Jill Lawrence reported, “It was not what anyone expected—least of all Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, who sat stone-faced onstage with Beshear as he unloaded on them without using names.”

Beshear finished with a stab to the heart of GOP’s NoCare, no alternative. “It’s amazing to me how people who are pouring time and money and energy into trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act sure haven’t put that kind of energy into trying to improve the health of Kentuckians,” according to the National Journal.

He said 640,000 Kentuckians—15 percent of the state—don’t have health insurance and “trust me, you know many of those 640,000 people. You’re friends with them. You’re probably related to them. Some may be your sons and daughters. You go to church with them. Shop with them. Help them harvest their fields. Sit in the stands with them as you watch your kids play football or basketball or ride a horse in competition. Heck, you may even be one of them.”

More here

On This Day:

Aug. 25, 2009 – Pete Souza: “On vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, the President shared a moment with his young niece, Savita”

Aug 25, 2010: President Obama greets people at Mink Meadows Golf Club in Vineyard Haven, Mass. (Photo by Pete Souza)

Random Fun:

140 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 10 No Child Left Behind
    August 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

Good Morning Chipsticks and TODVille!

2. August 25, 2013 at 9:43 am

Good Sunday Morning UT, TODers…Everyone!!!

UT, thanks again for the AWESOME posts on yesterday, as well as your “play by play” tweets from some of the speeches. Also thanks for the comprehensive review of the week/”today in history” in this morning’s Rise and Shine. What you and Chipsticks and the other Blog Tyrants do is so valuable to many of us in the TOD community.

When we look at the issues and listen to the speeches from 50 years ago, it underscores that we have many of the same issues today; that so little has changed. The March on yesterday was needed to remind us about our history. It was needed to teach us of the struggles and sacrifices made by MANY. It was needed to help us understand why it is important that we don’t take the freedoms, rights, and opportunities that we have today for granted. The March on yesterday also helped to heighten our awareness and incite us to action and not minimize the importance of ANY elections.

3. August 25, 2013 at 9:49 am

August 24, 2013 is the start of days to be remembered. HISTORICAL!
    And to top it off, we have some exceptional Blog Tyrants (as AMK would say) in Chips, UT and LP who not only portrayed the day for us as we could not be there, but did it with such love, patience and dedication.

Yesterday was so peaceful and as Hopefruit mentioned couple treads back that this was so much the opposite of what we would have seen at a TeaParty rally. There would be signs – misspelled, angry, effigy, guns/weapons and hate. Typical of that group of people.

Thanks for this place of such calm and knowledge.

August 25, 2013 at 9:59 am
  5. August 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Great piece by Ed on ObamaCare

August 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

Judge: Is there any reason you could not serve as a juror in this case?
    Juror: I don’t want to be away from my job that long.
    Judge: Can’t they do without you at work?
    Juror: Yes, they can. But I don’t want them to know it.

7. 21 criquet
    August 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Morning all.

Mmmm.. I have been following the posts on the 50 year onwards March to Washington and the speakers. Did I miss Hillary Clinton?
    How come she did not speak? Anyone seen anything about that?

• August 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

Morning criquet. In fairness, I don’t think there was any reason for Hillary to be there, and if she had turned up she’d have been accused of trying to get on the ‘bandwagon’ to help her 2016 efforts.

• 23 globalcitizenlinda
      August 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

HRC will probably show up on Wednesday when PBO, WJC & Pres. Carter show up

August 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

The professor of a contract law class asked one of his better students, “If you were to give someone an orange, how would you go about it?”
    The student replied, “Here’s an orange.”
    The professor was outraged. “No! No! Think like a lawyer!”

The student then replied, “Okay. I’d tell him `I hereby give and convey to you all and singular, my estate and interests, rights, claim, title, claim and advantages of and in, said orange, together with all its rind, juice, pulp, and seeds, and all rights and advantages with full power to bite, cut, freeze and otherwise eat, the same, or give the same away with and without the pulp, juice, rind and seeds, anything herein before or hereinafter or in any deed, or deeds, instruments of whatever nature or kind whatsoever to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding…

9. August 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

I am loving KY Governor Beshear’s take down of McConnell and Paul during the Farm Bureau Country Ham Breakfast, and for making the case for Obamacare.

I am especially glad to see the comments made in response to this article and that misinformation being thrown out by some is being immediately and thoroughly discredited.

10. 26 Claire
    August 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Tavis Smiley has an op-ed in the WaPo basically criticizing the POTUS and giving him advice on his speech for Wednesday. He says people have asked him for his opinion. I can’t think of ANYONE who would ask smiley for his opinion. Who cares what this hater thinks? He does nothing but criticize the POTUS. I say go away Tavis Smiley!

• August 25, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi Claire, I saw the link on the WaPo site and laughed, didn’t bother clicking – what a worthless attention-seeking turd.

• 28 Claire
        August 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

You are so right. I am sorry that I clicked on the link because I knew what it was going to be before I read it.

Anyway, thanks so much for the great job you and all of the TOD contributors did yesterday. It was even better than your overseas reporting. Well, that is always so outstanding too! This site deserves a Pulitzer Prize!

• 30 sherijr
      August 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’m sure white media folk asked his opinion.. but that would prolly cover it ;)

August 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thank you sherijr. Anti Obama media asked Smiley to write an opEd bashing PBO, and that worthless punk happily accepted the invitation. If you noticed neither he nor his lover Cornel West were part of the 50th anniversary March yesterday. They have been rightfully shunned by serious activists and leaders in the AA community, because everyone has now seen them for the self-serving and $$-worshipping pimps that they are.

• 32 sherijr
          August 25, 2013 at 11:33 am

whoa HF, I didn’t even notice their absence :) Excellent point, because any other time.. yep they would have been on that bandwagon. No wonder Smiley has an oped today… he didn’t get to speak yesterday. Ha!

• 33 globalcitizenlinda
        August 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

yeah, you got it right

August 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

Poor pitiful Tavis Smiley.

11. 35 mtmarilyn
    August 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

Good morning TOD farm. Still basking in the glow of yesterday. Once again thanks to all here for the wonderful coverage! Especially Lovelyplains, his post was stunning.

I heard Rev Al will be on MTP. I wonder who else.

12. August 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Good Morning ev’rybody!

My final quarter of the year resolution is to never comment on let alone read anymore blog post or commentary on GG/Snowden, I’m no longer willing to waste the brain cells or take up the oxygen needed to read/confront the idiot GG-apologist who always seem to populate them. Them dudes no longer worth my time. We got bigger fish to fry.

Hope everybody has a great Sunday. Now I’ve got to decide what to do today.

August 25, 2013 at 10:25 am
  14. 42 Jovie
    August 25, 2013 at 10:33 am
  15. 43 HZ
    August 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

Good Morning my Chips and TOD Family. It is a beautiful and very bright Sunday morning on the West Coast. Lovely. Hot, yes, but oh so lovely.

(((((((((((((( Shout out full of hugs to our Amk)))))))))))))))) So good to see you my dear family member.

Chips, UT, LP, thanks again for such wonderful and beautiful work.

Remember to let your lights shine wherever you go. Keep you space clear of the negative, and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings. Lift up with prayer and meditation our brilliant President.

TOD family remember today: “Life is exquisitely a time-thing, like music.” E.E. Just, 1883 -1941, Marine Biologist

Walk in your space with all the strength that you have today. (((((((((((((( I love you all so very much))))))))))))))HZ

August 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks for today’s R & S, Utal.

TODobots, visitors, lurkers – HELP! I’m thinking it might be an idea to do a twitter mini run of pics of ‘Voter IDs’ of those who died for the right to vote, especially if they are not well-known generally. Can you all think of anyone – black, white, male, female, anyone who did (more than) their part to advance the cause?

Here’s my starting effort, which ends as it begins because I don’t know of any other. I found the pic on google, so if you have a name and no pic that would be a place to start.

• 45 sherijr
      August 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

Heres Goodman, Schwerner & Chaney : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_civil_rights_workers'_murders Can you post this please vc?

August 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

Here you go, Sheri, and thank you.

• 47 sherijr
          August 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

You rock ((((vc)))) !

August 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

We rock together, Sheri – I never knew of these guys. It’s good, I think, when we can remind ourselves that what we have wasn’t handed to us on a platter, and one of our responsibilities ought to be to remember earlier contributors and their sacrifice.

• 49 sherijr
              August 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

Oh if you get the opportunity to, read the book… it will shock and move you. I read it when I was pretty young and will never forget their story… so many, too many stories of this nature in our history. thank you vc, you are a TOD treasure~

• 50 a4alice
      August 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

I saw this go by VC. A picture of Medgar Evers:

August 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

TY, Alice; that’s where I got the idea. Saw it in the post and thought, that’s a nice idea while we are still on the subject of ‘The March’ and are heading towards Wednesday’s activities.

• 52 HZ
        August 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

VC, here is a link to also get great information and photos.(I do not know how to bring photos over., plus I think I need to leave that to you and others who are so brilliant with these tasks.)

This is the Southern Law and Poverty office. These historians are great there and some great lawyers as well. I hope this work. This is not my forte on the computer. Forgive me. HZ

• August 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Morning our beautiful HZ!!!

• August 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

Error in link. Should be:

A very good source HZ. Thanks for sharing.

• 56 HZ
            August 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank you so much, swbluega. I am not as sharp in these tech matters as I would like, but I am surrounded by all of you who are so great and brilliant. ((((((((((( Thank you for correcting the link for me)))))))))))HZ

• August 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm

No problem {{{{{HZ}}}}}.

Reading about these individuals really brings to the forefront the courage of those who worked on behalf of civil rights. At a time when innocent people were being killed just for being black…when voter suppression went to the level of murder…when stand your ground (i.e., self-defense) was an accepted defense … those who made a conscious decision to work for the cause of civil rights are the true definition of courage. When you do something — especially for the benefit of others with little or no benefit for yourself — knowing the outcome for you could be jail, harm to you, your family, or property, or that it could cost you your life….it boggles the mind.

It’s good for us to be reminded of how things were and why we are now able to do the things we are able to do. Maybe then our sense of entitlement will be reined in and we can be more appreciative of what we have.

• 58 HZ
                August 25, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Oh, so beautifully stated, swbluega. You are a very observant and wise person. Thank you so much for lifting my spirit and coming to my rescue. I am so in need of much computer wake up skills, but I share what I can. I love my TOD family.

Yes, “Reading about these individuals really brings to the forefront the courage of those who worked on behalf of civil rights.”

Yes, and we must continue to expose our beautiful young people of how it all happened and why they can stand up and make a difference for their children and their friends. We will share and teach them with grace and love. That is my pledge. Again, thank you for your comments, swbluega. HZ

August 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Thank you, HZ. Will use these a little later.

• 60 HZ
            August 25, 2013 at 1:59 pm

You are so welcome, vc. I just think that what you are doing is great. We have such a beautiful TOD family. Love you. HZ

August 25, 2013 at 10:57 am
  18. 65 a4alice
    August 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

folks this has nothing to do with anything but I saw this go by on my twitter timeline and it is by far the strangest thing I’ve seen today.

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

August 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

Will the MSM keep reporting about the Trump University Lawsuit with the same enthusiasm that they reported his “birther” remarks back in 2011?

• 70 africa
      August 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hey Hope. You know the answer to that. Fat chance. But seriously, this guy charged students up to 35,000 to tell them how to get rich. Some was even hoping to meet him, all they got was a picture with a life-sized picture of him.

• 71 arkluvspbo
        August 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Africa, anyone who pays $35k to be told how to get rich, by a “person” who has had more bankruptcies than Newt Gingrich has had marriages, deserves to have their picture taken with a cardboard cutout of tRump.

20. 72 MightyPamela
    August 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

Hi and Bye, y’all! Hugs all around (data rationing again after yesterday’s big newsy events!) Keep the Home fires burning, VC is rocking the West Coast! :lol: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

21. August 25, 2013 at 11:06 am
  22. 87 africa
    August 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

Do we know what time PBO speaks on Wednesday?

August 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Very good question africa…been trying to find out, but so far no info :(

I guess it’s not finalized yet. They’re probably still putting the program together. They might also want to keep the specific time undisclosed so that people don’t crowd up the event just for PBO’s speech (which they will if they know ahead of time when he’s speaking), and then leave once he has spoken! :)

August 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

If anyone know be sure to let us know, so we won’t miss POTUS speech Wednesday.

23. 92 a4alice
    August 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

geeze even my cat is looking at me and meowing about how lazy I’m being. sigh….. last day of vacation but I guess I better go do something productive around this house!

Later TOD! :-)

am

24. August 25, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • 94 lockewasright
      August 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’d like to tell both of them where to go.

August 25, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I’m okay with Mike Vick, but Zimmerman got away with murdering that 17 year old boy.

• 96 lockewasright
          August 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Dogs are the best people in the world. I will probably never forgive Vick. Zimmerman is a murdering piece of shit. I hope that he will eventually suffer for his actions. Vick already has. I don’t need him to be punished more, I just probably won’t ever have anything but disdain for him. He’s scum in my opinion.

• August 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

“He’s scum in my opinion.”

+ 1,000,000,000, Vick can go to hell.

• 100 nathkatun7
            August 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Vick has been remorseful and he paid dearly for his Crime! Zimmerman,however, got away with murder! That’s the crucial difference. This is just me, but I think that it’s up to God to judge. Consequently I avoid dispensing forgiveness.

• August 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Nathkatun7, I have absolutely no clue why people compare Vick with Zimmerman, it’s insane. Much as I utterly despise anyone involved in animal cruelty, as Vick was, I wouldn’t liken it to the murder of a human being, for which Zimmerman was responsible. But I do think anyone capable of such grotesque cruelty to animals is, and always will be, the dregs of humanity and a danger to fellow human beings. That most serial killers, for example, start their ‘careers’ by abusing animals says it all, it’s a warning sign about a person’s potential for depravity and cruelty. I hope both Vick and Zimmerman rot in hell but, again, I’m not comparing their crimes.

August 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

HEADLINE: Obama Family Adopted Dog To Ease Empty Nest When Girls Aren’t Home

// President Obama’s young daughters are growing up right before his — and our! — eyes. “Malia and Sasha are just doing great,” he updated during his CNN interview, crediting Michelle for all of her hard work in raising them. “They are poised, they’re smart, they’re funny. But most importantly they’re kind, they’re respectful to everybody. You know, I just couldn’t be prouder of them.”

With his daughters, ages 15 and 12, getting older and building lives of their own, the president is noticing that they’re already far less concerned with spending family time:

“What I’m discovering is that each year I get more excited about spending time with them, they get a little less excited. But they love me, so they want to pretend like they want to spend time with me. So they’ll come into my office and they’ll pat me and say, hey daddy, I love you and they’ll give me like a 10 minute conversation. Then they’ll say, ‘ok, daddy I got to go. I’ll be gone all weekend, and I’ll see you on Sunday night’.”

We’re sure a lot of fathers of teenage girls can identify! //

26. 103 globalcitizenlinda
    August 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

I don’t know if anyone else has clicked on the #Syria harshtag this morning.

I wanted to get an update on the situation there but was struck by how many “journalists” appear to be trying to shame PBO into not attacking Syria IMMEDIATELY.

to some it appears that this a game & I have sent my concerns about their “glee for war” directly – they need to give PBO space to make a difficult decision.

It would be helpful if we asked journalists to take a deep breath and let PBO and his National Security Team figure out the road forward in Syria

• 104 sherijr
      August 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

President Obama is way too smart and wise to go to war on this. He has many options and he will unify the world on how he handles this Syria issue.. rather than pull a Bush. Thank God he doesn’t allow the media to pressure his decisions. This is why I truly detest the mainstream media.. they are all Republican clones.

• 106 HZ
          August 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Exactly, sherijr and Africa. President Obama is very smart and uses much wisdom in his decisions. I am sure that he take into consideration all of his options and will see to it himself that they are executed with precision and calmness. He will not be making his moves on the “Talking Heads” on the cable stations.

I pray always for wisdom for our President, and I believe it will be delivered. HZ

August 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I am sorry for any suffering going on in Syria, but I am not in favor of America getting into another war. Why do some people think that we have to solve all the world’s problem, we can’t do that. Hell we can’t even solve all our problems.

August 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I’m thankful we have a President who is going to think things over, who will not be so quick to get us into another war, which we could be stuck in for ten or more years.

• 109 arkluvspbo
      August 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

The corporate owned media pundits just want to feel like they are relevant and important. Thankfully we have a president who is wiser and more thoughtful than they are in all ways. That’s why he is the president and they are not.

27. 110 africa
    August 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

Oh, Boy. GOP gets a good tongue lashing from Paul Begala on hardwork, especially the quitter from Wasilla.

28. 111 africa
    August 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

GG in all his glory.

29. 114 dotster3
    August 25, 2013 at 11:46 am

OT, and I know buzzfeed is not our fave, but I love Trader Joe’s also. They forgot to mention their delicious low fat “healthy” cheesy puffs, one of their main attractions. And the people who work there make going a great experience—–they’re always so nice and HAPPY to be there, working there with their great pay and benefits. And they have all these great items which allow less than enthusiastic cooks, like, say, myself, to prepare yummy dins in 5 minutes or less. And, as mentioned, the mainest main attraction—–the 2 buck chuck (3 buck) vinos (mr. dotster’s favorite aisle—-he always heads there first like they’re going to sell out while we’re in the store) (so sweet—–that habit) :)

• 115 mtmarilyn
      August 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I love Trader Joe’s. We don’t have one in MT, but every time we are close to one we go. They do have the best wines and the best chocolate.

30. August 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

GM Chips, TOD….. wonderful RS UT.

Don’t typically pay attention to Friedman’s ramblings, but he makes some good sense on this one…..

Imagine that five years ago someone had said to you: “In 2013, Egypt, Libya, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen and Iraq will all be in varying states of political turmoil or outright civil war; what do you think the price of crude will be?” You’d surely have answered, “At least $200 a barrel.”

But it’s half that — for a reason: “We now use 60 percent less energy per unit of G.D.P. than we did in 1973,” explained the energy economist Philip Verleger. “If the trend continues, we will use half the energy per unit of G.D.P. in 2020 that we used in 2012. To make matters better, a large part of the energy used will be renewable. Then there is the increase in oil and gas production.” In 2006, the United States depended on foreign oil for 60 percent of its consumption. Today it’s about 36 percent. True, oil is a global market, so what happens in the Middle East can still impact us and our allies. But the urgency is gone. “The Middle East is China’s problem,” added Verleger.

Obama knows all of this. He just can’t say it. But it does explain why his foreign policy is mostly “nudging” and whispering. It is not very satisfying, not very much fun and won’t make much history, but it’s probably the best we can do or afford right now. And it’s certainly all that most Americans want.

31. 117 dotster3
    August 25, 2013 at 11:59 am
  32. August 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Swore to myself I would never read another Maureen Dowd column….. but she must have gotten (excuse my language) some nookie…. a light bulb turned on for a half-second this weekend…. http://nyti.ms/15kLAOg

This month has been rife with efforts among the G.O.P. “wise men,” using every channel possible — polls, op-eds, cable, Twitter — to try to talk sense to the goons of August. When Condi Rice is a “wise man,” you know you’re in trouble.

The Democrats never impeached W. and they had real grounds: starting a war on false premises and sanctioning torture. “The Republican Party is in a constant struggle between its ego and its id,” Axelrod says, “and the id has mostly won out lately.” It isn’t the president who should leave. It’s the misguided lawmakers trying to drive him out.

For some of the rodeo clowns clamoring for impeachment around the country, Barack Obama’s real crime is presiding while black.

33. 123 africa
    August 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm
    • 124 Nena20409
      August 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

They are buying guns for their younger ones. Paul Ryan purchased for his then 10 yrs old daughter, a shotgun.

August 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

How ironic that this happened in a place called SLAUGHTER, LA…..and WTF was an 8 YEAR OLD doing playing Grand Theft Auto?? Someone needed to be a PARENT and just say NO!

Good morning, africa and TOD.

34. 126 sjterrid
    August 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Good afternoon, TOD! I went to the March yesterday. It was great. I went with a bus from Southern Burlington NAACP. Our bus left around 4:00AM, and we got back at 8:00PM. I couldn’t see much from where we were standing, but the speeches were great. I’m going to read yesterdays posts to see and hear what I missed.

• 127 pkayden
      August 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Good for you for going. Looks like there was quite a crowd and absolutely love Al Sharpton’s inspirational speech.

• 128 mtmarilyn
      August 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

What a great day for you! Tell us more about you day. It was so emotional watching and listening on TV. Knowing being there and hearing it all had to be wonderful.

• 129 sjterrid
        August 25, 2013 at 1:30 pm

It was great to listen to the speakers. There were so many people that I didn’t know were going to speak. John Lewis, Rev Lowery, and Al Sharpton were inspiring. What I took from is that we have to be active in our communities to make sure everybody’s rights move forward.

I was happy and surprised to hear Tony Bennett.
        Unfortunately, I didn’t hear Holder’s or Booker’s speech. I was waiting on a long line to get something to eat, and I couldn’t hear it from there.

• 130 HZ
          August 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Oh, how beautiful to be in attendance, sjterrid. You have some precious memories to house in your’ life space’ forever. Great news. Thanks for being there and for coming back and sharing with all of us.

Tony Bennett was great. I love him so. He was a loyal participate during Dr. King’s work with the civil rights movement. So awesome to see him still doing what he does best beside his painting and helping young people in the Arts..HZ

• 131 sjterrid
            August 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

HZ, thank you. Your comment means so much to me.
            I’m so inspired by your comments everyday here at TOD.

35. 132 dotster3
    August 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm
  36. 133 Nena20409
    August 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

So a few threads back, Don Lemmon said that CNN didn’t cover a non-official MOW50?

CNN covered teabaggers…..used a CNN bus with Ali Velshi and others to chase them around. At the time, CNN was covering the teabaggers more than Fox…..a monumental task…..noted by the Mediamatters.org. Then CNN was the ONLY Cabler to give Michele Bachmann air time to rebut a SOTU by pres Obama. CNN promoted that airing and they stated that it was for the tea party. Now was there an official party? Official event? Nope. Don Lemmon is just pathetic.

37. 134 globalcitizenlinda
    August 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I don’t know how to put this in a biting form – so someone please help out:

So Washington Post that was apologizing (just yesterday) for blowing it by missing 1963 MLK “I have a Dream Speech” now feel that their best course of correcting this is to use attention-seeking tavis smiley to attack PBO & provide “advise”

this is clearly a demonstration that they never learned anything about what is important to ordinary people who are struggling

38. 137 Nena20409
    August 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This will put a smile on anyone’s face.
    Little puppy dog trying his/her very best to cross over a little barrier.

August 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hey everyone! Did you realize that Ted Cruz just wants to look out for AA and HIspanics and THAT’S why he wants to get rid of Obamacare??? He CARES about you! WHO KNEW! What a POS. Everyone needs to get their behinds to the polls and vote these people out. We need to be done with this kind of BS.

August 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm

No Thanks Ted Cruz, I don’t need you looking out for me. I don’t trust Ted Cruz as far as I can throw him. And I know I couldn’t throw him an inch.

• 140 arkluvspbo
      August 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

DF, I swear, pubbies are some the ugliest people on the face of this planet. That “man” just looks like he has very deep seated issues.