Aug

A True American Hero

MEDAL-OF-HONOR

President Barack Obama awards the Medal of Honor to Army Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter

MEDAL-OF-HONOR

President Barack Obama arrives with U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter to present him the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry.

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Presents+Medal+Honor+gNNVS0CqywHl

President Barack Obama awards U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry

2013-08-26T193812Z_1545533619_GM1E98R0A1I01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA-MEDALOFHONOR

President Barack Obama and Medal of Honor winner U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter pray at the beginning of a ceremony in the East Room at the White House

MEDAL-OF-HONOR

CBS News: Obama Awards Medal Of Honor To Army Staff Sergeant Ty Carter

President Obama on Monday awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military decoration, to Army Staff Sergeant Ty M. Carter for the heroism he displayed during one of the most intense battles of the Afghanistan war. Mr. Obama called Carter a “true American hero.” In the Oct. 3, 2009 battle at Combat Outpost Keating, Carter rescued a fellow soldier and carried him through a hail of bullets, unarmed. On that day nearly 300 insurgents, armed with automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, surrounded the outpost in Afghanistan’s Nuristan Province. Fifty-three Americans were stationed there; eight were killed in the battle, and 22 were wounded.

Carter was wounded in the battle but managed to provide accurate fire against enemy combatants under intense pressure. At one point, he carried his fellow soldier Spc. Stephan L. Mace to safety, putting down his own weapon and facing open fire to save Mace and provide life-extending first aid. Mr. Obama remarked Monday that the enduring image of the battle was of Carter picking up Mace and “carrying him through all those bullets.”

Carter said he still has “minor issues” with post-traumatic stress but that he’s in excellent shape now, thanks to the support he has from his behavioral health care providers, his platoon sergeant and his friends and family. Mr. Obama commended Carter for speaking out about his struggle with post-traumatic stress and urged other soldiers to follow his lead. “Let me say as clearly as I can.. .he is as tough as they come, and if he can find the courage to seek help, so can you,” he said. The president added that the nation must keep up its commitment to support those soldiers.

More here

2013-08-26T195248Z_264280739_GM1E98R08JL01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA-MEDALOFHONOR

MEDAL-OF-HONOR

MEDAL-OF-HONOR

47770c37be0d9b1c3b0f6a7067007330

President Barack Obama applauds after awarding US Army Staff Sgt. Ty M. Carter, the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. Carter received the medal for his courageous actions while serving as a cavalry scout with Bravo Troop, 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, during combat operations in Kamdesh District, Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on Oct. 3, 2009. Carter is the fifth living recipient to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.

102 Responses to “A True American Hero”

1. 3 MightyPamela
    August 26, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Yo!

August 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

3. 8 Layla
    August 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hi everyone! Just spent 4 days working with a quadriplegic gentleman on a ventilator! I thank the lord right now that I can breathe on my own! Please keep him, his wife and 3 young kids in you prayers!!!! That is all.

4. 18 GGail
    August 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

All of the awards ceremonies are touching, but this one seems to touch me more – especially when I see Ty’s kind face and know that he’s being tormented because someone sitting comfy & cozy decided Ty and others had to go to war.

• 19 HZ
      August 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I feel the same, GGail. These are the moments that take my heart skipping beats. Ty and others give and have given so much for all of us, yet we still cannot see how ugly we must seem to so many around the world. But one thing I know for sure, President Barack Obama has made a difference as our CIC. ()()()()()()()() I give Almighty thanks for wisdom being granted continuously to POB()()()()()()()HZ

5. August 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thank you for all the great photos UT. Congrats GGail.

6. 24 Nena20409
    August 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

That was shown Live on MSNBC. I was able to see that. It was awesome. The bravery, the dedication and that sacrifice. An Honor well deserved.

A True hero, indeed.

7. August 26, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Awesome 7min vid from some of the March on Wash organizers. Watch it and share it.

The website includes a number of videos of the organizers. It goes to show you that the March was organized down to the letter. They were focused, laser sharp and never veered from it. The were image conscious and well aware of how they wanted to be portrayed.

Sound familiar to ANYTHING during the 2008 primaries and ’08/’12 general election????

August 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

9. August 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The video at TIME are great.

Here’s another: “The Movement”

10. August 26, 2013 at 6:30 pm

From a FB friend:

Today, #USArmy Staff. Sgt. Ty M. Carter will receive the Medal of Honor for his actions during one of the most intense battles in the war in Afghanistan. Visit our blog to read 12 facts about Carter, including what he did in defense of Combat Outpost Keating: http://1.usa.gov/13SOJGR.

11. August 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Another great TIME online video.

The night before, MLK Jr.’s advisers offered opinions on his #OneDream speech. But he went his own way
    | http://ti.me/16KYTWI #OneDream

• August 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Did you know that the “I Have A Dream” portion of Dr King’s speech, was not written. It was ad-libbed and occured after Mahalia Jackson in the middle of Dr King reading his speech, said “Tell Him About The Dream Martin!” Then he went into the “I Have A Dream” portion which was off-script.

• 31 GGail
        August 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm

A couple of weeks ago, on CBS Sunday Morning, I saw a segment on former basketball player and former USC basketball Coach, George Raveling. He was part of the volunteer staff during Dr. King’s speech. He was standing next to the podium, so when Dr. King finished the I Have A Dream speech, George asked him for the speech pages and Dr. King handed them to George. Coach Raveling has refused offers of money for the speech. He says he’s passing it on to his son.

August 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Not sure if this has made it here, yet.

August 26, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Translation: It’s an honor to visit Seneca Falls, and recall the righteous struggle that found expression here. I’m also proud to add an example of Lilly Ledbetter’s inspiring leadership to your collection. Thanks for all you do to honor the character and perseverance of America’s women.

• 34 GGail
      August 26, 2013 at 7:01 pm

JO’B, I saw this on Ms. Jarrett’s twitter page. Then I scrolled down to read the tweets. I was shocked and shook my head at the venom cowards spew on the internet.

If there was ever an argument for the NSA to be looking – it would be to look into these weak creeps who feel the need to share their demons of hatred wherever a Comment is allowed.

August 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm

After I posted that here, I did go back and saw those freaky comments … which is why I normally try not to read any responses to tweets of well-known Democrats! Sickos.

• 36 GGail
          August 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I try not to read article comments, but I didn’t expect such nastiness on a twitter feed for such a lovely person as Ms. Jarrett.

• 37 dotster3
            August 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm

All comments seem to be nasty and vile now. I think these hateful creeps are the only ones commenting now. And they swarm—ever ready to spread their extremely sick opinions. All decent people have abandoned commenting, have fled in disgust, not wanting any part of that demented atmosphere.

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
              August 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I think you’re right, dotster. Commenting on the internet is safe for these haters. They can stay in their little spaces and not have to confront the real world or deal with any facts. All the pent up ugliness that twisted people feel can find expression in comments that are not screened. I think these people were always there, fomenting bitterness in their hearts and hating on the world. The internet gives them a forum. The sickness lives on. It’s not possible to thank Chips enough for all the magnificent work she does every day to shield us from this.

August 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I didn’t either. Grotesque!

• 40 MightyPamela
        August 26, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Isn’t there an option to report these vile comments?

• August 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm

“Frank Burns ‏@LTCFBurns 12h
        @vivajosiah Yeah, just like Obama is doing with the Benghazi witnesses and with the Fast and Furious scandal. One scandal after another.”

Like this idiot with his rwnj talking points…they don’t even know what they are talking about, they just like listing these things hoping folks will read and believe.
        Funny how his name is “Frank Burns”. If anyone doesn’t know the character from M*A*S*H, it’s quite fitting.

13. 42 dotster3
    August 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Very moving Medal of Honor ceremony. President Obama always does so well with these special events. And I thought it was so important that Carter’s struggle with PTSD was part of the remarks. So many others also struggle with this serious war effect, and they could relate and hopefully be encouraged to seek help, as he has.

August 26, 2013 at 7:02 pm

15. August 26, 2013 at 7:08 pm

At the March on Washington, MLK Jr.’s beloved community showed the power of diversity to push for change
    | http://ti.me/1a4HTjk #OneDream

16. August 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

• August 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Love this picture of PBO in reflection

• 53 HZ
        August 27, 2013 at 12:06 am

Yes, I had the same reaction, prettyfoot58. I was so hoping that Mr. DuBois would get this book out before the year ended. This will be a great read. I am trying very hard to seek the place in my space where I can begin to enjoy the fruits of so many wonderful, decent, and very dear and close people who worked with this brilliant man, our President, Barack H. Obama.

I pray daily and try to keep in shape(eyes, ears, feet,) to be able to be so blessed to be able to read, hear via audio books and see the words on the pages of some of the closest and selected greats who have traveled this journey with our great President. Most of all, I want to read the very ones, President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama will write. Ms. Jarret’s will be a great one, if she chooses to embark on that journey of fine authors who wish to share. I am beginning to save up my dollars to be able to purchase the books that I will most cherish from the most reliable sources.

Now this will give the non players something to cause their heads to explode. So TOD family get your comfortable loveseats, chairs, summer beach days, and long and enjoyable evenings ready for some beautiful books to read. I am looking forward to my reading time.

Just think, we helped to help others(who really are true supporters of) President Barack Obama and First Lady, Michelle Obama to be able to have the honor to write beautiful historical books about this brilliant President in the proper time. There will be wonderful people to look for their writings in the future. However, may sure you know who you are reading. Many who are bashing them now, cannot wait to cash in with their cheap writings just like they have written garbage in the past. So get to know who are the major players in this Administration who really deserve to pen a great book on President Barack Obama and First Lady, Michelle Obama. HZ

August 26, 2013 at 7:37 pm

August 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm

CNN licking their chops greedily. Will Anderson cooper fly to Syria in his favorite tee shirt posing and preening for the camera?

19. 57 yardarm756
    August 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

American history.

• 58 nathkatun7
      August 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Yes Indeed, Yardarm! This is the history that many would rather sweep under the rug! This truth may not be widely known, but there were many incidences where Black folks attempting to vote were lynched. And no, justice Clarence Thomas, this was no imaginary “high tech lynching.” This was real. You show up and you are black, and you insist on voting because you paid your poll-tax and could pass any literacy tests they dreamed of, you were still likely to be strung up and hanged for acting uppity and for insulting whites. I repeat, attempting to vote while black could get you lynched, in a number of Southern States, in the period from 1890s to 1960s.

20. 62 lamh36
    August 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

VIDEO: Colin PowellOn-stage w/Jamie Foxx: Dancing To Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky’

21. 64 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Google’s tribute to #MOW50:

22. 65 dotster3
    August 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Speaking of music, which HF does above and I agree it is a universal language, a connection among all peoples——-I ran across this touching story. A 96 yr. old man in East Peoria, Il. enters a song writing contest sponsored by a local music studio, a tribute to his wife of 75 years, “Sweet Lorraine”, who had passed away a month earlier. Studio guys were so moved by his heartfelt words, they professionally recorded it for him. Very moving story here:

• 66 Mela in TX
      August 26, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Aaaaackkk! Oh my goodness that was beautiful. I’m crying. Again. Y’all need to watch the video, really, really lovely. Thank you for sharing it, Dotster3

• 67 sherijr
      August 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

wow Dotster, that really got to me.. what a lovely story.

23. 68 vitaminlover
    August 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Our beloved President is so polite, classy and elegant.

24. 69 Jovie
    August 26, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Jack Lew says debt limit will be reached in mid October-

Now with this news I think we should consider cost of Syria bc boner will demand food stamp cuts for every tomahawk missile launched. He can’t do anything bc of money constraints. It seems!

• August 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Jovie,
      His election loss will be so sweet. Probably even sweeter than Mittens Moremoney.
      I know it’s childish, but it’s so much fun calling them names. It’s so deserved and really makes me feel better.

August 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The asshole that led america to its destructive path of today.

August 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Also:

. Started the idea that being a federal worker was something to hiss at – he hated all of us! Working for the federal government used to be seen as an honored profession before him – something generation after generation did, in some areas. Working for the country, for 30 loyal years before you got a pension, but Reagan treated federal workers like dirt!

. Fired the air traffic controllers, because – you know – he could.

• 73 HZ
        August 27, 2013 at 12:48 am

I remember jacquelineoboomer, as a single young person my check each month was racked over by the Reagan Administration with so much taxes that I would stand in the hallway and just cry after coming out of the district’s payroll office. This went on year after year. It was so painful that I still tear up when I think of it. I kept my pay stubs for years just to remind me of what I paid for taxes. These ugly foolish people better leave us alone after all of the crap that we went through on so many levels. HZ

• August 27, 2013 at 10:41 pm

That is why they are so desperate to malign President Obama. They want to throw the stench off themselves, but the frustrating part for them is that karma doesn’t work that way. The president is a good man, a good man who does good for others. When someone does good for others, that person is rewarded and the jealous haters just can not stand it.

26. August 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

27. 77 anniebella
    August 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Ms. Serena Williams just won her first match 6-0, 6-1.

28. August 26, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I’ve given up on the media. The social media world has made them more despicable than ever.

I no longer view their tweets; instead I rely on the #discover Twitter feature, which streams tweets that are favorited and/or RT’d by people that I follow (based on sites that I visit too — I don’t see ALL fav’d or RT’d — that would be overwhelming, just at a time).

MSNBC is now emoprog central, with a vengence:

• August 26, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Bears repeating (posted earlier today).

HuffPo link, the source article is behind a paywall:

• 80 HZ
      August 27, 2013 at 1:19 am

Jeff was tearing the crap out of her on twitter tonight. Me liked it. I am tired of people tearing into President Obama with all of their crap everyday. Yes, I pray, meditate, light my candles and play my music, but these foolish and mean-spirit know it all will cause me to be hoarse every darn day; run out of money on purchasing candles, and add to my hearing loss with my music being played very loud. I will not allow anymore of these people to try to steal the joy that is left in President Obama’s presidency.

Hell, we worked very hard to get POB elected in the first place and then again in the second term. No more. Too many of us sacrificed along with our First Lady and Daughters. This is too close to home and very personal for me and all of our TOD family.

I am not tearing anyone down,, but just like Bobfr always reminds us, these are the NEWSTAINERS pooping all over our hard work. But we do not have to listen to their crap. Not now. Not ever. Done with these miserable people. I do not care how much money they make. I can lay my head on my pillow at night very peacefully.

I found a beautiful quote of our FLOTUS today as I was clearing some books: ” Here is the thing about my husband: even in the toughest moments, when it seems like all is lost, Barack Obama never loses sight of the end goal. He never lets himself get distracted by the chatter and the noise, even if it comes from some of his best supporters. He just keeps moving forward.

And in those moments when we’re worried that the bill won’t pass or negotiations will fall through, Barack always reminds me that we’re playing a long game here. He reminds me that change is slow-it doesn’t happen overnight. If we keep showing up, if we keep fighting the good fight and doing what we know is right, then eventually we will get there. We always have.” Michelle Obama., First Lady of the United States.HZ

29. August 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Not up to watching dotster’s video (not in the mood to cry).

But dotster, is your BD? (I’m behind as usual.) Happy BD!

For Dudette and all other music lovers:

August 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm

31. August 26, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Elegant, courageous, handsome, and worthy of every honor, just like his commander in chief.

32. August 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm

@JeffersonObama is really going after @Maddow tonight, and rightfully so.

These youngster who weren’t *born* until after the fall of Saigon, sit in their ivory towers and judge the role of the United States in global affairs.

The world is not as one-dimensional as Maddow and Hayes portray. I don’t watch of them now.

I absolutely hated the Vietnam War, with young lovers being torn apart, just everything about the war., but didn’t agree with Jane Fonda set the standard for emoprogs to follow, but now the emos are rebelling against drones and try to make it sound like our privacy is being invaded; they refuse to listen to people like Kurt Eichenwald who knows how complex the internet network is.

Why do they care so much? So what if the govt sees the stupid emails you send to a clandestine lover or whatever? They are so self-centered to think the govt gives a fig about their personal lives.

But the MSM has made it clear — they are a monolithic obstacles to our President and his work to help as many Americans as possible.

Despicable and frustrating.

August 26, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Arapaho you are not the only one who is sick and tired of Maddow and Hayes and their Libertarian high horse. It is downright irresponsible of MSNBC to give these two clueless children a platform in the prime time hrs spewing garbage about very serious matters. No wonder their ratings are tanking.

You have a 50-something yr old President, twice-elected, with a solid record of accomplishments and extraordinary decision-making in very difficult times, and you have two whiny, overpaid, overprivileged, clueless, out-of-touch 30-something yr old “kids” who adore Ron Paul and his followers as their heros, and whom do you expect the majority of America to take seriously: The tried and tested 2-term President, or the clueless duo of whining Emoprogs?

• 87 COS
        August 26, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Rachel is accusing the administration of not waiting for the UN’s report before they made their decision to do something in Syria. I could tell that she was disappointed with Steve Clemmons( sp) analysis because he dd not say what she wanted to hear.

August 26, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Sorry, all I ever hear her say now is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . Puts me to sleep. Plus, I have disliked her since the ’08 election when she was incredulous that HRC didn’t win the primary. I can still see the look on her face.

August 26, 2013 at 10:59 pm

34. 91 carolyn
    August 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I dismissed Rachel from my viewing after the first Obama/Romney debate last fall. She declared Romney the winner, and that Pres. Obama had done a terrible job.. Everyone else at MSNBC followed suit, and the meme for that debate was set for all networks. I decided that night she had burned her card with me.
    I know this probably sounds like a cranky old woman, but neither Chris nor Rachel has lived enough to balance their theoretical ideas. They need some hard knocks in life. Ed has had hard knocks, so has Rev. Al. The college of hard knocks can teach a lot.
    Hayes did do a good job on Trump tonight, but I left to walk the dog after that and my husband turned to hockey reruns.

August 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I definitely agree about Rachel and Chris lacking the credibility of Rev Al or Ed. And it’s not just their age, but the fact that they are both relatively affluent and sheltered individuals who have had few real challenges that most people can relate to.

August 26, 2013 at 11:48 pm

All of that, and narcissism and immaturity and …

August 26, 2013 at 11:53 pm

yes indeed…it’s the unbridled arrogance and complete lack of humility that gets me too.

August 27, 2013 at 12:18 am

Yes indeed. And, really, I like learning but her boring professorial way of telling her viewers her in-depth analysis of her topic du jour would even bore boring professors. Boringly.

• 96 HZ
              August 27, 2013 at 1:04 am

Rachel and Chris take their knowledge to a level where arrogance resides, and their resident is situated in a position where they feel they can throw stones at President Obama’s house anytime things do not go their small and limited display of how to use their knowledge. There is a certain amount of humbleness that comes with a vast amount of knowledge. Some ‘knowledge fountains’ have within them some water that has a constant taste of bitterness and ones is best served when he/she keeps walking and not stop to partake from their fountains.

I do not like the act of people who out right lie on the President. That leaves me with a deep sense of not showing my respect to that person where it elevates them to a level that prides itself in the fact that they are “Right” and he is Wrong.”, I have no respect for the Dr. Maddow. Plain and simple.HZ

August 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm

36. August 27, 2013 at 12:05 am

Dr King’s first I Have A Dream speech:

August 27, 2013 at 12:06 am

38. 102 HZ
    August 27, 2013 at 1:30 am

Thank you again for your beautiful work, UT. I want to thank you because I recognize all of the hard work that it has to take for Chips and all of the brilliant contributors like you to put all of this wonderful information, supporting links and knowledge into this beautiful haven here at TOD.

((((((((( Many loving hugs of appreciation from HZ. ))))))))) Thanks so much, UT and all of the great minds here. I love you all so much. HZ

This wonderful hero of America deserves our love, our respect, and our honor. We thank his wife, his children and his family for giving time to support him, lift him up and still keep their sanity. ((((((((((((((( God Bless you, Ty.))))))))))))))) I thank you for all that you gave to all Americans in your service to your country. May God bring home our men and women very soon. Thank you to all of our men and women who are serving us all across this globe. Goodnight TOD Family and our brilliant, loving, kind, and compassionate POTUS. Thank you so much. HZ