Aug

Coming Up

4:0 EDT: First Lady Michelle Obama delivers remarks at a screening of “The Powerbroker: Whitney Young’s Fight for Civil Rights”

White House Live

Trailer:

Read about Whitney Young here

PBS: ‘The March’ premieres tonight at 9:0 ET/PT

‘The March’ is the story of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, told by the people who organized and participated in it. It includes interviews with some of the key actors; members of the inner circles of the core organizational groups; Hollywood supporters and civil rights campaigners; John F. Kennedy administration officials; and the ordinary people who became part of the crowd of thousands, who thronged to Washington D.C. by all and every means: plane, bus and car.

More here

‘The March’, is a feature documentary, a celebratory story of the renowned 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom – largely remembered for Martin Luther Kings’ world famous and iconic ‘I Have a Dream’ speech delivered on the steps the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.

The speech was delivered to America’s largest multi-racial audience; more than 250,000 people brought together by the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. An event which received unprecedented media coverage, broadcast live to millions of people domestically and around the world.

Hundreds of marchers with placards file past the camera towards the March meeting site at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.A watershed moment for the Civil Rights movement, the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom brought together a huge coalition of powerful and revered civil rights organisations, labour unions, and civil rights leaders – which included the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), the Congress of Racial Equality (C.O.R.E), the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), the National Urban League and the March’s figurehead A. Phillip Randolph. It was to become the biggest civil protest in American history.

Martin Luther King Jr leading the head of the March.‘The March’ tells the forgotten stories which led to the call for the March and the fierce opposition from the U.S. government – including John F. Kennedy’s administration and the FBI and its leader, J. Edgar Hoover. It tells the eventual acceptance of the March by the state and the heroic endeavors to fundraise, organize and execute the March by hundreds of committed civil rights activists across America. The presence of huge Hollywood actors, directors and writers which helped to add ‘glamour’ to the solemn call for equality. And it charts the unfolding dramas of the behind the scenes events which included the fears of chaos, disturbances and the threat of racial violence.

‘The March’ is the story of the making of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, told by the people who organized and participated in it. It includes interviews with some of the key actors; members of the inner circles of the core organizational groups; Hollywood supporters and civil rights campaigners; John F. Kennedy administration officials; and the ordinary people who became part of the crowd of thousands, who thronged to Washington D.C. by all and every means: plane, bus and car.

It is a story of massive achievement, the catalyst to the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the beginnings of the legacy of freedom for all American citizens.

‘The March’ is the story of discrimination, defiance and victory told by the people who made it happen and whose lives it changed forever.

117 Responses to “Coming Up”

1. 1 No Child Left Behind
    August 27, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Good Afternoon TODVille!

2. 4 No Child Left Behind
    August 27, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thank you, Chipsticks for all these wonderful posts!

• 5 COS
      August 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Chips for the reminders and videos.

• August 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm

A pleasure COS, huuuuuge thanks to GGail for the heads up on ‘The March’

• 7 GGail
          August 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Awwww, thanks Chipsticks. I’m just happy that I can contribute to TOD every once and a while.

• August 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

You always do GGail, but your greatest ever contribution was keeping VC out of trouble on her travels ….. you did, didn’t you???

• 9 GGail
              August 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Let me tell you about VC… (shhhh, she’s still in my neck of the woods)

The paparazzi followed us all over Los Angeles for two days! They chased us while we were in Beverly Hills, on the Santa Monica Pier, they trapped us in the elevator at the Grammy Museum, in the Soul Food restaurant, at the African Bookstore and all along the 101 Freeway.

I was wore out by the time Sunday evening rolled around :D

But seriously, she and her offspring are two wonderful people. We took to one another as if we were family. Offspring even calls me Aunt GG – how sweet is that. It’s so nice to meet good people and she’s a keeper – for sure!

Thanks to you Chipsticks and your TOD haven!

• August 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm

“Aunt GG” – sweetest thing EVER!!!!!!

Truly, you ARE the hostess with the mostess, time for TOD to hire a bus and head your way!!

• 11 GGail
                  August 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thanks…..wait….Huh?

• August 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm

CC, I don’t want to intrude, or anything, but I do suggest that you remember that tales are not always to be taken at face value. Some merit a closer look, or a second opinion. :razz: Just saying, is all.

• August 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm

BTW, GGail, how are you today? Have you recovered from you weekend jaunts?

• 14 GGail
                      August 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Still smiling vc – how ’bout you?
                      I’m actually gonna miss not driving to the boonies this upcoming weekend to get you two :wink:

• 15 GGail
                    August 27, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Of course vc – I should confess, that between the three of us (you, me, & offspring), we couldn’t manage to get OUT of the elevator. :lol:

• August 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

‘I should confess’ – Are you catholic, Gail? I never realized that! I guess there wasn’t enough time to get to discuss religion.

For anyone interested, *I* knew how to exit the elevator. I was just waiting for the other two to go ahead,… politely, you know? I don’t think Gail should give you the impression that we were stuck. *They* didn’t realize that the 4th floor elevator did not stop at the 3rd and 2nd floors in the Grammy Awards Museum, and that we’d all have to use the stairs. *I*, as indicated above, was just waiting on them to move first. There you have it!

• 17 GGail
                      August 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

There’s not enough room on this post for me to roll around on the floor laughing at vc’s perception of the “elevator events”. ROFLMAO!!!!

• August 27, 2013 at 3:51 pm

“….. tales are not always to be taken at face value”

Ah crikey VC, you’re being very hard on yourself!

3. 20 No Child Left Behind
    August 27, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Yes, first indeed!!!

4. 21 Linda
    August 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm

After ” The March ” tonight on pbs comes ” The Freedom Riders” which is a 2 hr documentary.

August 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Maybe the state of Florida should pay for Trayvon Martin’s funeral, if they are going to pay that killer’s defense.

5. August 27, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Since we are discussing colour and equality and rights, and what we all can do, this is a good reminder that it only takes one….

6. August 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm

So in response to Miley Cyrus and her “infamous” MTV award performance ABC News has decided to “scientifically investigate” twerking!!!! I kid you not.

Here is the ABC News blog piece: Twerking: A Scientific Explanation

Take it away Black twitter:

screwyoumegn
    Rhythm: the myth, the legend #abcreports

@brokeymcpoverty
    Is It Scientifically Possible to Smack the Taste out of One’s Mouth? A Roundtable Discussion #ABCReports

@ArriannaMarie
    “Bills, Bills, Bills”: Was Destiny’s Child making a statement about financial illiteracy in the Black Community? #ABCReports

@jaybo117
    Do Bands Make Her Dance: An Special On Site Investigation #ABCReports

@Joe_Schmuck
    “I’ll Knock You Into Next Week” have black mothers invented time travel? Details at 11. #ABCReports

There are more just follow the hashtag!

7. August 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Here is the ABC News blog piece: Twerking: A Scientific Explanation

Take it away Black twitter:

screwyoumegn
    Rhythm: the myth, the legend #abcreports

@brokeymcpoverty

@ArriannaMarie

@jaybo117
    Do Bands Make Her Dance: An Special On Site Investigation #ABCReports

@Joe_Schmuck

There are more just follow the hashtag!

8. August 27, 2013 at 3:07 pm

When I first saw the Young video earlier today, it brought a vivid contrast to mind so I ‘reacted’ with the tweet below. I must say I was intrigued by the notion that because Young did not use the ‘expected’ method of the time to show his support of Blacks he was labeled. Reminded me right away of POTUS.

• 31 GGail
      August 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm

WOW vc, that’s a powerful tweet. Good job!

• August 27, 2013 at 5:47 pm

:oops: I keep wandering in and out and up and down the thread, so I haven’t a good grasp of the the progressive dialogue. Are you planning to watch the PBS documentaries tonight? I think I’m going to, as I don’t have PBS in my home packet.

9. 34 57andfemale
    August 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm
  10. 36 JER
    August 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm
  11. 37 JER
    August 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    August 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Going to be an exciting and informative event.

13. August 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

O/T

Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with nytimes.com?

I get a message that says “Oops. Google Chrome could not find nytimes.com” Try reloading.

14. 42 JER
    August 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest private employer in the U.S., will offer health insurance benefits to same-sex partners of its domestic employees beginning next year. … “Full-time associates can now cover any spouse or domestic partner of the same sex or opposite sex,” Brooke Buchanan, a spokesperson for Wal-Mart told ABC News. …

August 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Mighty generous of Wal-Mart … guess they still have a few “full-time associates,” so, you know, freedom and progress.

15. 44 57andfemale
    August 27, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  16. 45 JER
    August 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Some live tweeting here of VP Biden: https://twitter.com/AmericanLegion

17. August 27, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Heads up:

4:0 ET: First Lady Michelle Obama speaks at screening of ‘Whitney Young’s Fight for Civil Rights’

August 27, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    • August 27, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Lincoln would have been a Liberal by today’s standards and would not be welcome in the Republican Party. I think he would have loved PBO and been a great friend.

• 50 nathkatun7
        August 27, 2013 at 4:48 pm

The truth is both political parties, Republican and Democratic, have changed drastically.

August 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Awww … that almost made me tear up, as I sit here in the Land of Lincoln, with both of their portraits on my wall. One of my old books about Abe is The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln (who does that remind you of?), and I think even he would need to keep his sharp wit and wisdom honed, to carry on great conversations with our current President!

19. 52 Gazelle
    August 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

[Good grief! These people have gone beyond the beyond on ignorance. OMG, for serious? Arkansas?]:

California Republican Rep. Gary Miller has earned a reputation as an immigration hardliner, but when confronted by a group of young immigrants Friday at a public event in Rancho Cucamonga (which had a $12 entry fee), Miller told them he understands their plight because he, too, is an immigrant, of sorts, moving with his family from Arkansas to California as a young child. [.....]

[.....] “You know, I’ve talked to a lot of young people like [you],” Miller told the young activists, captured in footage taken by a Democratic tracker. “I mean, I understand the difficulty. Just like I was born in Arkansas. I came here when I was a year old.”

• 53 GGail
      August 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Yup, that’s sounds like something Repug Miller would say. They think they are so slick that we can’t hear the bull coming out of their mouths.

Is that the best you got Miller??@!!!???!!!!!

• August 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Miller sounds like someone who was born without the empathy gene, trying to mimic someone who has it and getting it hopelessly and pathetically wrong.

20. August 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

So my question is when the President does something in Syria, will the Republicans demand offsets for the money spent?

21. 56 GGail
    August 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm

First Lady Obama is so pretty. I could sit and look at her speak for days on end (which is what I’m doing now instead of working) :D

22. 57 anniebella
    August 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I agree with you GGail.

23. 58 JER
    August 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm
  24. 59 Dudette
    August 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hi everyone! We’re on our road trip! Probably won’t hit DC until after midnight. :-( oh well – just glad to be on the way.
    Can you believe my luck? Try to see my PBO in Charlotte and they cancel the stadium event bcz of forecast thunderstorms. This time he’s gonna be speaking from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and guess what the forecast for tomorrow? Yep, freakin’ thunderstorms!!!
    Never fear we will NOT be defeated. Have rain gear; will travel. I’m gon’ see my President doggonit! Might need to score some waterproof binoculars along the way though! :-)

• 60 GGail
      August 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Safe travel Dudette.
      I hope you get to meet up with Donna and others.
      And I especially hope you get to see your/mine/our President Obama!!!!!!

• 62 donna dem 4 obama
      August 27, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hush your mouth girl!!!
      That thunderstorm is not scheduled until 8:00 PM tomorrow night and if it comes earlier tomorrow you know I’m gonna say it was Dudette who brought us the rain. :) :lol: :)

Safe travels and I’ll DM you tonight my cell so we can text tomorrow.

• August 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Ah-a, there you are, Dudette! :grin: Thanks for the update. About an hour ago I was wondering how far along your route you might be as I had promised to travel along mentally. Are you both sharing the driving, or is one the assigned navigator? I say, forget the weather forecasters, let’s all think positive – we’ll have dry, beautiful weather. There! :grin:

August 27, 2013 at 5:23 pm
  26. August 27, 2013 at 5:42 pm

SEA may be going after twitter………stay tuned…….

27. August 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm
  28. August 27, 2013 at 5:57 pm
  29. August 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

FYI –

August 27, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    • 82 Linda
      August 28, 2013 at 5:42 am

Study up on the difference between The Taliban and Al-Qaeda Judy so you don’t embarrass yourself like last time.

31. 83 Nena20409
    August 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

White House 8-27-13……Jay “Clark Kent” Carney press briefings:

32. 84 GGail
    August 27, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I just received a “Thank You” from Bill Clinton for birthday wishes – only – I didn’t send him birthday wishes – and I ain’t gonna send no money for the Clinton Foundation – I will file this email in TRASH

33. August 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm
  34. August 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Stand for stoopid or get primaried.

35. August 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm
  36. August 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Clinton hand Harold Ickes quietly got back on the DNC rules committee last wk after a 4-yr absence.

37. August 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  38. August 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ugh…!

The Clearest Sign Yet That Hillary Clinton is Running

The Democratic National Committee summer meeting “was a sedate gathering where routine party business was conducted routinely,” the New York Times reports.

But when Harold Ickes walked into the Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting, Democratic strategist Donna Brazile raised her eyebrows: “He predated the Clinton era, but when I saw Harold reappointed to the D.N.C., he surely, in my judgment, symbolizes the return of the Clintons.”

Ickes was put back on the committee by chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and acknowledged that he “actively sought” the seat as the “most important committee at the D.N.C. because of its role in shaping the nomination process. The goal is to design rules to nominate the strongest candidate for the general election.”

August 27, 2013 at 6:40 pm

AARP helping people and answering healthcare law questions: http://healthlawanswers.aarp.org/?cmp=RDRCT-HLA_JUN13_013

In Spanish: MiLeyDeSalud.org http://healthlawanswers.aarp.org/es/?cmp=RDRCT-MDSHLA_JUN13_013

Can you guys please pass this around?? Thanks!!

40. August 27, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Tweets reminding us to encourage our contacts to encourage their contacts…. and so on …and so on, to be involved (i.e vote)

41. August 27, 2013 at 6:47 pm

HARRISBURG, Pa. (CBS) — Pennsylvania Democrats may have an opportunity to make things even tighter in the state Senate now that a Republican incumbent from Delaware County has announced his plans to retire