Aug

Pete Souza Picture Time!

9526191980_ec5a61a06e_h

President Barack Obama feels the hair of a youngster as he greets staff and their family members at the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, July 2, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

9526190724_7ab83a0611_h

First Lady Michelle Obama greets children during a visit to Sterling Farms Grocery Store in Marrero, Louisiana, July 23, 2013. The store was opened last year by actor Wendell Pierce as part of the “Alliance For A Healthier Generation.” (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

9526189534_9179ca870f_h

Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden lay a wreath with Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee, granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi, and Amb. Nancy Powell, left, at the Martyr’s Column at the Gandhi Smriti Museum in New Delhi, India, July 22, 2013. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

9526191358_6837512218_h

President Barack Obama talks with departing staff member Ruchi Bhowmik and her family in the Oval Office, July 12, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

9523407969_2fc8ebd07c_h

President Barack Obama listens to Vice President Joe Biden following a meeting with Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang and State Councilor Yang Jiechi on the margins of the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue, in the Oval Office, July 11, 2013. Standing with them from left are: U.S. Ambassador to China Gary Locke; Caroline Atkinson, Special Assistant to the President for International Economic Affairs; National Economic Council Director Gene Sperling; Deputy Secretary Bill Burns; National Security Advisor Susan Rice; Treasury Secretary Jack Lew; Danny Russel, Senior Director for Asian Affairs; and Evan Medeiros, Director for China, Taiwan, and Mongolia Affairs. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

9526191194_f6ad4b97d9_h

President Barack Obama visits with Make-A-Wish child Suhail Zaveri, 14, from Anaheim, Calif., in the Oval Office, July 16, 2013. Accompanying Suhail are his parents, Sandeep and Asmi Zaveri, and younger brother Arsh Zaveri. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

9526189826_e451cec2a4_h

President Barack Obama greets line workers at the Amazon fulfillment center in Chattanooga, Tennessee, July 30, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

9523407021_4d485c4786_h

President Barack Obama presents Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., with a birthday cupcake aboard Air Force One, July 24, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

9526191740_5aa0f65086_h

President Barack Obama greets young reporters at the Kids’ State Dinner in the East Room of the White House, July 9, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

More here

93 Responses to “Pete Souza Picture Time!”

1. August 29, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hi TODers!!! Still floating from two whirlwind days in DC!!

• 2 vitaminlover
      August 29, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Congratulations, Dudette.

• 3 Dudette
        August 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thanks VL. Tried to post some notes yesterday but I think WordPress chewed them up and spit them out. :-)

Lots of amazing things to see here. We were awakened Wednesday morning by the gorgeous sound of a single trumpet player doing warm up exercises outside our hotel. He was playing bits of “Summertime” from Porgy & Bess. What a way to wake up.

The 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the March on Washington was so moving. We were like a million miles away from the podium, but at least we got in with time left enough to see/hear all 3 presidents and members of the King Family. The security line was ridiculously under-manned — 2 hrs in that sucker. After awhile it was so hot & muggy from the crushing crowd even the rain wasn’t much relief. We were drunk with heat exhaustion, so much so people started singing Negro spirituals and old civil rights songs to entertain ourselves with a few spinkles of jokes here and there.

August 30, 2013 at 12:23 am

Why am I not surprised that YOU were awakened by a trumpet player warming up to “Summertime”????

So glad you made it there. What a memory.

• 5 Dudette
            August 30, 2013 at 1:10 am

I know, right? We didn’t get to the hotel until 5AM Wednesday. Even got lost riding around downtown trying to find the hotel despite having 3 navigational tools between us.* When we had to get up all grumpy at 9AM after so little sleep, I took the trumpet player as a sign it would be a spectacular day. It was!!! :-)

*Lesson 1: Leave earlier. [Duh!]
            Lesson 2. Never ever place too much faith in technology. Use your instincts.

2. 9 Dudette
    August 29, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Wonderful gallery of pics UT!

3. August 29, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Still reading the captions… =)

4. 13 a4alice
    August 29, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Dudette! I hope you had a great time in DC!

Nite TOD

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 14 Dudette
      August 29, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Still having it alice. One more night in the hotel (tonight) and one more day of sightseeing (tomorrow), then it’s back on the road to return home. I’m exhausted!!!

5. 19 yardarm756
    August 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

My contribution from my cave.

6. 32 Dudette
    August 29, 2013 at 11:18 pm

One thing I learned at the March on Washington 50th Anniversary this week. Good photography is not easy (I suck at it).
    Pete Souza is a genius. :-)

• 33 Dudette
      August 29, 2013 at 11:20 pm

• 34 nathkatun7
      August 29, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I feel your pain, Dudette! I thought It was because I am old because whenever I am large gatherings I am never able to take good pictures. Stuff are always in the way. This happened to me trying to take pictures at my daughter’s graduation from the audience.

• 35 Dudette
        August 30, 2013 at 12:05 am

Hi Nath! Nice to know I’m not the only one. It never fails. I just take crappy pictures though. Doesn’t even have to be a crowd. :-)

A guy next to us in this crowd (@swannlake202) tweeted some good pictures. Of course, he’s like 6ft 4in, so he towered over the crowd enough to get good pics and figure out that we needed to work our way over to the left to line up in front of those white tents to actually get in. Ugh that line was awful. He kept us entertained though.

Also I focused on this serene little lady who seemed to have my grandfather’s eyes. Her beautiful grey-lined face, seemed to have the wisdom of the ages. I figured, if she could endure it, what’s my excuse? Kept me from giving up and going back to the hotel, that’s for sure.

• 36 nathkatun7
          August 30, 2013 at 12:54 am

I think you did a good job. In any case, I hope you had a wonderful time. I wish I was there to share in this wonderful commemoration.

• 37 Dudette
            August 30, 2013 at 1:25 am

Thanks so much Nath! We had a ball! All the whining & complaining about the line was a faint memory as soon as we got in. The sobering realization that we were there to witness history and be in the presence of 3 Presidents was overwhelming.

August 30, 2013 at 1:37 am

*Also I focused on this serene little lady who seemed to have my grandfather’s eyes*

That was poetry, Dudette. I’m so happy for you!

7. 39 Dudette
    August 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

8. August 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Good WC Eveing TOD…. Congrats of first Dudette!

9. 44 globalcitizenlinda
    August 30, 2013 at 12:03 am

I feel compelled to mention something that has been bothering me as I read and listen to all the debates about Syria & what PBO should/shouldn’t do about it.

I seem to notice little or no mention of WHY and HOW we got to this decision point – namely the reports that a government allegedly used chemical weapons on it people and the published result of the injured, dying, and dead civilians.

Questions on my mind tonight that are nagging at my conscious:

Q1: Have we become so immune to these reports that we seem to just shrug them off as routine?

Q2: Do we give a damn as long as the dead are not “our people?

Q3: Who will stand up for the Syrian civilians who where allegedly injured, maimed or killed by their government using chemical weapons?

• 45 Dudette
      August 30, 2013 at 12:16 am

We went to the MLK Memorial and the Holocaust Museum today Linda.

It was sickening and heart-wrenching to see how inhumane human beings can be to each other. People need to be reminded of this kind of cruelty and also how long it took for the Allies to get involved to stop it.

This powerful and profound quote from Martin Niemoller was featured in the Holocaust Museum:

“First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out–
      Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out–
      Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out–
      Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.”

When I saw it I couldn’t help but think about those who have died and are suffering in Syria now.

• 46 theo67
        August 30, 2013 at 12:50 am

Dudette – I was thinking the same today about all those who are washing their hands of the Syrian disaster. When the US suffered a terrorist attack (more than once) the world rallied in sympathy. It’s terrible that this war in Syria has gone on for two years and many in the world have turned a blind eye. I saw a snippet of shows today where the emoprogs are congratulating themselves on the UK vote, and I was ill. One would think we’d have learned from the Holocaust, Serbia, Ruwanda – we can’t just sit comfy in our own countries while other human beings are being slaughtered – it’s not right. A military strike may not be the answer, but to demand inaction – it’s unconscionable.

• 47 globalcitizenlinda
          August 30, 2013 at 1:48 am

the situation in Syria is dire and getting worse. that is why I am wondering at the way people are talking so “clinically” as if no real human beings were/are being harmed

• 48 theo67
            August 30, 2013 at 2:18 am

There’s a lack of humanity and empathy – quite disturbing. It’s like we’re not deep into survival mode, like elephants or deer watching as a pack of lions feast on one of their own – just thankful that it wasn’t their turn..

• 49 globalcitizenlinda
        August 30, 2013 at 1:09 am

That is why I could not go to sleep without asking those questions to my self.

• 50 nathkatun7
      August 30, 2013 at 1:08 am

Linda, you ask very important questions. These are questions that most people involved in international humanitarian law have tried to grapple with. The most fundamental question is: Should the international community stand idly by and do nothing when leaders of a country, like Syria, decide to commit genocide on their own people?

• 51 globalcitizenlinda
        August 30, 2013 at 1:13 am

I am surprised that those with microphones and routinely say they believe in human rights are not asking these questions and are instead pretending that The West just wants to bomb Syria just because….

• 52 nathkatun7
          August 30, 2013 at 1:29 am

Indeed! And ten or twenty years from now they will be regretting what they failed to do and pledging to do better next time around.

• 53 globalcitizenlinda
      August 30, 2013 at 1:23 am

Sent out these same questions for others to ponder

• 54 globalcitizenlinda
        August 30, 2013 at 1:34 am

By the way, beware of the newly created twitter accounts that are responding to these questions.

since they are all pointing to the rebels as the source of the weapons, I can only guess that these are members of the so-called Syrian-electronic army”

10. 55 Jeff
    August 30, 2013 at 12:06 am

Wanted to write something before I had to go to work tonight. I’ve noticed by reading articles and the facts before reading the emotional baggage comments that I get a better scope of the situation as I recently read about the situation in Syria. To say this is another Iraq is ridiculous and over the top as the Obama administration is not trying to topple the sitting president but rather take out their arsenal. Big differences and makes me realize the arguments that Maddow was using were completely wrong which is surprising because she’s supposed to be a Rhodes Scholar. Well whatever she studied wasn’t constitutional law that’s for sure because she didn’t read the war powers act.

Anyway have to head to work and just thought to give my two cents.

• 56 yardarm756
      August 30, 2013 at 12:19 am

“A weapon which you don’t have in your hand won’t kill a snake.”

• 57 globalcitizenlinda
      August 30, 2013 at 1:44 am

these people have lost all sense of shame and analytical function.

their singular focus is attacking PBO no matter the issue

11. 58 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 12:29 am

12. 59 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 12:41 am

Saw this graphic at the Nation Museum of African American History & Culture exhibit inside the National Museum of American History today.

I just blew my mind how closely this graphic depiction of 1860 Presidential election results looks like the results from 2008 & 2012. Had to break the rules and take a snapshot of this.

• 60 nathkatun7
      August 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

Dudette, this graphic is absolutely eye opening! The electoral similarity (minus the territories not yet organized into states) between 1860 and both 2008 and 2012 is quite striking! I think you should re-tweet this over and over again. Clearly, it’s mainly the former confederate States that are standing in the way of progress.

August 30, 2013 at 12:43 am

14. 65 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 12:50 am
    • 66 theo67
      August 30, 2013 at 1:05 am

This is one item that I can’t wait to go back and see. I can only imagine the details that don’t show up on an image, and the memories it would bring back seeing the dress in person… Lucky you!

• 67 Dudette
        August 30, 2013 at 1:18 am

Thanks theo! Oh my goodness the intricate detail near the bottom hem alone is BREATHTAKING! Two things came to mind as I gazed upon that loveliness: As gorgeous as it is, it also looked extremely comfortable. Must’ve been like draping oneself in a cotton-candy cloud. Also, FLOTUS is one statuesque woman. I overhead a little boy tell his Mom — she could eat off your head. :-)

15. August 30, 2013 at 12:54 am

My letter to President Obama, 28 August 2013

Dear Mr President,

You likely are way ahead of me on this, but the situation in Syria seems to present a watershed moment for educating the American people and all of humanity in a profound way.

Imagine if we had had Twitter & Youtube on Dec.8, 1941 and could have begun exposing the mass gassings at Chelmno – the onset of The Holocaust.

Well, we have those tools today and what was done to the people of the Mleeha and Zamalka suburbs of Damascus is already documented.

Since we know corporate US #NEWSTAINERS, #GOP & other #KOCHSTER minions could care less about the people of Syria and will attack you no matter what you do, please consider carrying a message directly to everyone.

Schedule prime time, have all the images and evidence at hand and challenge everyone to assess their personal responsibility to the citizens of Syria (and anywhere else people are slaughtered by their government).

What would they have done on 9 Dec 1941 had they known of the mass gassing of the Jews?

What do they demand being done, now, to protect other Syrians from being gassed by their government?

Ask the questions – give no one the option of escaping their personal responsibility to one another.

You are the 1st President we’ve ever had with both the tools & the moral fortitude capable of taking such an action.

Bob

#TrustBarack

am exhausted … will check in in the am … if anyone wants to use the letter, as always, feel free to do so and no attribution is required.

16. 74 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 1:01 am

Keep nodding off, so that’s my signal to get some actual sleep tonight. Will post more from tomorrow’s sight-seeing adventure when I came.
    See ya later Family!

17. 75 globalcitizenlinda
    August 30, 2013 at 1:03 am

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember hearing discussion of the UK next election on BBC a few weeks ago.

I wonder how many people in the US are looking at the UK vote on Syria through their pending election?

For many politicians, the election cycle will cloud decisions or make them ignore expected ideological judgment calls – expediency.

if it is later proven that Assad used those chemical weapons, then do these politicians realize how their no vote could be used against them as a vote on the side of assad

August 30, 2013 at 1:44 am

I’ve come to the conclusion that politicians – in any country – do not think the way anyone in the real world thinks, and thus I have no clue. But it’s truly a good question.

18. 77 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 1:40 am

19. 78 Dudette
    August 30, 2013 at 1:41 am

Goodnight Everyone!

20. 79 globalcitizenlinda
    August 30, 2013 at 2:19 am

Head up TOD who use Twitter,

I have noticed that the moment I sent out tweets on Syria that were critical of the assad government, a couple of “new people” immediately responded them directly.

I checked these responses and they seem to be from newly created twitter accounts. In addition the grammar was another indicator.

Since the arguments are all pointing to the rebels or foreign as the source of the chemical weapons, I can only guess that these are members of the so-called “Syrian-electronic army”

my TL has the exchanges

21. 80 arkluvspbo
    August 30, 2013 at 4:56 am

Hey TODers,
    I’ve been lurking a bit, and posting here and there, but just wanted to say hello…my mom and I got back last week from a wonderful cross country trip. Got to see many sights and many people. It was a wonderful bonding experience, and as I mentioned before my husband and I separating, it was a nice way to transition from the separation to coming back home to be with my family. I have been staying with them until my apartment is ready to move back in, and my parents are actually, themselves, in the process of downsizing from the home they have been in, and my brother and I grew up in, for 35 years. It’s been crazy, emotional and exhausting. Of course I’m an insomniac — hence the reason for the early morning posts.
    I love all you posters, you keep me sane in this insane world of lies, half-truths and misleading media pundits and posters alike.
    YOU are my salvation. {{{{{TODers}}}}} hugs to all you wonderful peeps.
    I skipped ahead a couple of pages to post this link…not sure if it’s been posted already, but they finally did it — they finally called the president n*****r. VERY disgusting and I hope this person never gets to see the inside of whatever political office he is seeking.
    ““[They] didn’t see no pictures of Obama with bullet holes in his head,” — his justification and ignorance/lack of education on full display

• 81 99ts
      August 30, 2013 at 6:12 am

Hi ark – I hope all goes well with your new life and your new apartment – I was there 40 years ago – and losing the stress made the new start much easier to handle. I was full of guilt at the time about all sorts of things – but things worked in ways I never thought possible. It has all been goof.

As for the man in your link – I am glad the SS is keeping watch on him –
      “It’s not a threatening statement, in my opinion. People take it out of context as a threat” – how do you take his tweet out of context! Not to mention how ignorant & misinformed he is.

Not a threat was what Sarah Palin thought about her crosshairs before the attack on Gabby Giffords and friends. I will never forget that – nor the reaction from the perpetual victim.

• 82 99ts
        August 30, 2013 at 6:13 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh goof = good … sigh

• 83 arkluvspbo
        August 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Hey 99ts, thank you for the uplifting words. I’m less stressed in many ways, but also more so, just because I have so much to do.

I really wish we could just get rid of the republican party — they are mean, they are angry, and they don’t deserve to be our “leaders”.

22. 84 Anjo
    August 30, 2013 at 6:57 am

Absolutely so busy at work have only had time to look at pics and read headlines; just absolutely inspiring MOW50, no war in Syria, strategic don’t ever do it again strikes and leave is my humble opinion, we don’t need another war no matter how ‘justified’. How is GB last time I read comments she was going into the hospital for a weekend..healing thoughts, loves and hugs to our dear GB…will continue to read headlines and look at the pics until end of next week..will try to catch up on all the comments, articles and songs…Love to all TODers everywhere have a great day and a wonderful weekend..off to work now

23. August 30, 2013 at 7:10 am

Good morning, TODville.

For an important update on Glennzilla and his boyfriend’s misadventure at Heathrow, see the live tweets on today’s astonishing court rulings in this timeline:

RSS OFA