Aug

Rise and Shine

@petesouza: President Obama in the Oval Office, talking on phone to German Chancellor Merkel

Today:

2:15 EDT: The President meets with President Toomas Hendrik Ilves of Estonia, Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, and President Andris Bērziņš of Latvia; the Vice President also attends

CBS: Obama administration set to release Syria intel report

The administration will release on Friday a declassified version of its intelligence report on last week’s purported Syria chemical weapons attack, a senior administration official told CBS News late Thursday.

The official also said the administration would go public with its legal justification for taking military action against the Syrian regime if and when President Obama orders a strike.

More here

Steve Benen: The prospect of going alone in Syria

A few days ago, it was largely seen as a fait accompli – British Prime Minister David Cameron would get approval from the British Parliament for the use of force in Syria, and a coalition would move forward apace.

With these expectations in mind, last night’s developments were as stunning as they were dramatic. For the first time in generations, a British prime minister’s appeal for military authorization was rejected by members of Parliament, even after Cameron watered down the scope of his original request.

It’s safe to assume the White House, which appears eager to intervene in Syria and assumed the UK’s support was in hand, was rattled by Parliament’s decision. Indeed, it left President Obama in an unsettling global dynamic….

More here

Jonathan Cohn: Another Story of Obamacare Rate Shock That Isn’t

Another Obamascare article is making the rounds. This one, from National Journal, is about what people buying their own insurance will pay on the new Obamacare exchanges — and how those prices compare to what people pay when they get coverage from their employers.

“For the vast majority of Americans,” reporter Clara Ritger writes, “premium prices will be higher in the individual exchange than what they’re currently paying for employer-sponsored benefits, according to a National Journal analysis of new coverage and cost data. … Whether the quality of care in the new market is comparable to private offerings remains to be seen. But one thing is clear: The cost of care in the new market doesn’t stack up.”

…. this analysis doesn’t really tell us what the Obamacare critics think it does. In fact, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t really tell us what Ritger thinks it does….

More here

Jonathan Bernstein: Here comes more Obamacare misinformation

Wow. National Journal really booted one today on the Affordable Care Act …..it should be tossed in the garbage…

….. National Journal only has initial estimates of what plans in the exchanges will look like; over time, we don’t know how they’ll change. And, yes, there is surely a fair amount of uncertainty about how employers will react over time.

What we do know, however, suggests that this National Journal analysis doesn’t get it right, at all.

More here

Steve Benen: Eric Holder steps up, digs in, and breaks out

…. Eric Holder appears to have quietly positioned himself not only as a progressive champion, but as one of the more accomplished attorneys general in recent memory.

Think about some of the recent policies Holder has chosen to tackle: voting rights; sentencing reforms; condemnations of “Stand Your Ground” laws, and of course the drug policy announced yesterday. These are critically important law-enforcement policies, some of which have been neglected and ignored by officials in both parties for years, long in need of leadership – which Holder is now providing…..

Full post here

FACT SHEET: New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence

The Obama administration announced two new common-sense executive actions to keep the most dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands and ban almost all re-imports of military surplus firearms to private entities. These executive actions build on the 23 executive actions that the Vice President recommended as part of the comprehensive gun violence reduction plan and the President unveiled on January 16, 2013.

Even as Congress fails to act on common-sense proposals, like expanding criminal background checks and making gun trafficking a federal crime, the President and Vice President remain committed to using all the tools in their power to make progress toward reducing gun violence.

More here

Treasury: All Legal Same-Sex Marriages Will Be Recognized for Federal Tax Purposes

The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) today ruled that same-sex couples, legally married in jurisdictions that recognize their marriages, will be treated as married for federal tax purposes. The ruling applies regardless of whether the couple lives in a jurisdiction that recognizes same-sex marriage or a jurisdiction that does not recognize same-sex marriage.

The ruling implements federal tax aspects of the June 26th Supreme Court decision invalidating a key provision of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

“Today’s ruling provides certainty and clear, coherent tax filing guidance for all legally married same-sex couples nationwide. It provides access to benefits, responsibilities and protections under federal tax law that all Americans deserve,” said Secretary Jacob J. Lew. “This ruling also assures legally married same-sex couples that they can move freely throughout the country knowing that their federal filing status will not change.”

More here

David Frum is hardly in a position to comment, but he’s right on this:

TPM: Is This The Beginning Of The End Of The War On Drugs?

It’s America’s 40-year war. From Nixon through Nancy — “Just Say No!” — to Clinton not inhaling. From coke to crack to meth.

Throughout the War on Drugs, the drive has been for more law enforcement, stiffer sentences and less tolerance. The limitations of interdiction and incarceration are well-documented. But the push for harsher penalties rarely abated, and the emphasis remained on drugs as a criminal matter for law enforcement. Until Thursday, when the first real retreat of any kind was made official.

The Justice Department’s announcement that it would not block Colorado and Washington from implementing state laws legalizing marijuana marked a sea change.

More here

Seamus Heaney, the Irish Nobel Prize-winning poet, died today.

This poem, which I used in an abysmally made YouTube video back in 2008, was, I always thought, perfect for the campaign – and still is:

“History says, don’t hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.”

Morning everyone.

161 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

August 30, 2013 at 10:18 am

1st?

2. August 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

Have the calls started to get rid of that warmonger Pelosi, yet?

Pelosi Expresses Support For Military Action In Syria

• 12 Smoothscotch
      August 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

I am of 2 minds on this issue. I feel for the people but wonder why the other Arab nations aren’t taking a lead on this. It’s their back yard. I hope the Pres. Does not get pressured into this but goes his own way. I have a hope that he will not do it.

• 13 Don
        August 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

Actually some Arab nations have condemned Assad’s actions, those nations will provide some sort of help but they will do so quietly as not to be seen as one Muslim attacking another Muslim on behalf of the West. As far President Obama feeling some sort of pressure, I don’t think he lets himself become a victim of pressure.

• 14 ericfive
          August 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

THIS!!! I trust whatever decsion PBO makes in this horrible situation the world finds itself in. Allowing Syria to use WMD’s against its own people without consequence would set a very bad precedent, especially since PBO explicitly warned Asaad. Some in America did not want to help the Jews being slaughtered by Germany during WWII, saying it was none of our business. Sometimes violence is necessary to prevent further human suffering.

• 15 Smoothscotch
            August 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Don & ericfive, I hear you both, but still feel that the Arab nations who object to Assad as you say should come out of the “closet”. Again it’s their backyard, there’s a bully, get together and take care of him. But no, wait for foreigners to step in and this will give them plausible deniability while also joining the bandwagon blaming the west later. Perhaps there is still a way for a political solution.

3. 16 Smoothscotch
    August 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

Good morning everybody, what a beautiful day. Happy long weekend, don’t eat too much. :-)

4. 17 Ladyhawke
    August 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

HOUSE GOP LEADERS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN #1 ENEMY FOR IMMIGRATION REFORM

by Van Le on 08/30/2013

—————————————

Commentators from a number of outlets this week made it clear that the only enemy immigration reform has ever faced, and the only culprit that will ever exist in the death of immigration reform—if it dies—is the House GOP Leadership, starting with Speaker John Boehner.

On Wednesday, Politico published a piece on how immigration reform is working against time, considering the debt ceiling negotiations that are coming this fall and the lack of legislative time left on the calendar. For a House GOP that has already tried blaming their inaction on immigration reform on President Obama and the Democrats, time could well be the next convenient cover that Boehner, Goodlatte, etc. latch onto. But many are already calling out that flimsy excuse.

At Brian Beutler at Salon pointed out yesterday, there is exactly one reason why immigration reform hasn’t passed through the House yet, and that’s John Boehner. Immigration reform has the votes to pass through the House, if not for Boehner’s insistence on obeying the Hastert rule. As Beutler writes:

————————————————–

5. 18 99ts
    August 30, 2013 at 10:33 am

The media – as usual – is second guessing the President/Administration all over the place.

As for Greenwald – he is lying again on twitter. He definitely went to the Palin school of denial – deny tomorrow what you did today.

• 19 Smoothscotch
      August 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

I turn them off, especially the nite time crew of Hayes and Maddow (years now for her). Can’t believe she still has an audience but to each his own.

• 20 Linda
        August 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

Chris Hayes beat her in the ratings Tues and Wed. Her’s must be pathetic if they are lower than his.

• 21 ericfive
          August 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

She is not likeable and talks down to her audience. Both Hayes and Maddow represent what many people detest in “Liberals”, i.e. a certain smugness and arrogance that is off putting. She lost me when she did her “speech PBO should have made” in response to the BP oil spill. I found that so disrespectful (she never pulled a stunt like that when GWB was president). The only pundits that are reliably good are Sharpton (who I rarely see due to work) and Joy Reid, who should replace Hayes).

6. 23 Jovie
    August 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

7. August 30, 2013 at 10:41 am

I almost feel sorry for Miranda in all of this, yet another fool in the story who has been used and abused by Greenwald.

It reminds me of the condescending tone Greenwald used when he talked about Miranda in an interview a couple of years ago:

Greenwald: I was drinking a guarana tea on Ipanema beach; he was playing beach volleyball. His towel was near mine, and we started talking. I was 38; he was 19. I was established in my career; he was poor. I grew up in a South Florida suburb; he grew up an orphan in a Rio de Janeiro slum …. I end up playing video games with a bunch of 23-year-olds until 3 a.m., and he ends up reading the Nietzsche I give him.

Yuck.

And I have to say, if it was a wealthy, privileged 38-year-old American man who met on a beach a poor 19-year-old Brazilian woman, who grew up in an orphanage in a slum, and moved in together a week later, as they did, even though they didn’t even speak each other’s language, my skin would crawl. But you’re a homophobe if that’s the way you feel about this story.

Any way, seems to me Greenwald has been taking advantage of Miranda from day one.

• August 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

OMG, I’d never seen that or known the circumstances of their relationship. But I’ll say this flat out, Greenwald is a colossal CREEP in all respects, bar none.

• 26 57andfemale
      August 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

I have no sympathy of Miranda. There are things you say no to doing. Carrying state secrets and names of agents is one of them.

• August 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Of course he shouldn’t have allowed himself be used, my point is that I suspect he’s so utterly indebted to Greenwald for the life he now has, he most probably didn’t feel he could say no.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

Agree with you, Chips.

Karma will be that Greenwald goes down with all former cheerleaders (aka MSM) using words they normally reserve for President Obama (embattled, scandalized, etc.).

Snowden was used, Miranda was used. Can’t wait until Putin goes after Greenwald (cause Putin’s no homophobe, right?). <snark.

• 29 57andfemale
          August 30, 2013 at 11:56 am

And that is a form of abuse. Manipulation at the very least. He’s twice Miranda’s age and had him do something outrageously illegal on his behalf. Because FREEDOM! and JOURNALISM! It is neither.

• 30 99ts
      August 30, 2013 at 11:01 am

There is a picture around of Greenwald and Miranda – I think at an airport – Mirand looks like a deer caught in the headlights. And I agree entirely with your take on the meeting and the relationship.

I remember Ronald Biggs (UK train robber) who took up with a young girl in Brazil – had a child with her – to avoid being deported to England. Things fell apart when Biggs became seriously ill – went back to England – for the health care (well he says not, but that is what he got) – sigh.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

‘Miranda looks like a deer caught in the headlights’

That’s exactly what he looked like to me too 99ts, and the analogy with Biggs is perfect – he was regarded as a creepy old man for starting that useful relationship.

• 32 yardarm756
      August 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

G’day mates. And I woke up to this vomit inducing piece. Yuck!

• August 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Geez, Miranda was only a teenager when this creepy, older, wealthier man put moves on him. Okay, my skin is crawling. And the dripping condescension –” he lowered himself to watch video games, while offering Nietzcsche!!!! to the untutored teenager who probably tried to humor him so he could stay in a nice place.

8. August 30, 2013 at 10:41 am

It pains me to see the photo of POTUS speaking with Merkel knowing that she is not supporting him.

• 41 Don
      August 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

Merkel as well as Cameroon have other considerations that they must take into account when dealing with a situation like this. They have people that they have to answer to just like President Obama. President Obama has gained the trust to be able to undertake Syria whereas Merkel and Cameroon might be in a different position.

August 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

Great round-up Chiparoo.

1. Seamus Heaney’s poem perfectly captured what was in the air in 2008 and remains everyday when one wakes up and Barack Obama is still President of the United States.

2. I read tweets and pieces on the new mess from Snowden, Greenwald, and Miranda’s quarters and OMG! Anyone still defending them or what they did, is sick and twisted. Who the heck carries around documents that can wreak such havoc and carelessly has the password written on paper? The agents they put in danger have families and most likely, children. Who does that to a fellow human being? A monster that’s who. They didn’t expose any governmental wrongdoing, the government wasn’t poisoning its citizens or going into a country and killing their citizens as Assad is doing to his fellow countrymen. What they did is unconscionable.

3. That Boehner twerking cartoon is on the same level of gross as Miley Cyrus thinking what she’s doing is called twerking. I need brain bleach! :lol:

4. Yay Pres. Obama!

5. Yay ObamaCare!

August 30, 2013 at 10:44 am

11. August 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

• 48 57andfemale
      August 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

He certainly has found his voice in the second term.

• 49 Puddin'
        August 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

What the Obama/Holder team is doing in the second term, could not happen in the first term IOM…there would not have been a second term. As someone here said the other day…everyone better hold on because in the next 14 months leading up to the midterm election and what is going to happen after the election. Everything seems to be on total chaos, but I’m holding on to my hat because “it’s about to get ***** up in here” (oops I forget the exact words of the hip hop song)…

• 50 Don
      August 30, 2013 at 11:00 am

Maddow must have just realized that about Holder, better late than never I guess. It amazes me how Maddow and her ilk can’t understand why Holder was hired in the first place, then when something of a sea-change happens then they are amazed. “More Accomplished” might be an understatement.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:03 am

Hiya Don, I’m still a fan of Maddow, but her hair-on-fire reactions to a lot of stuff have been pretty tiring. Her rush to judgment on AG Holder was one of them, but people like her keep on expecting everything to be done yesterday. They have absolutely no appreciation of how flippin’ hard it is to get things done.

• 52 57andfemale
          August 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm

She’s just so damned unpredictable. She can be a blind screamer on one issue, and then do the best coverage ever on another. She makes my head spin. The true definition of an emoprog.

I will never forgive her for her dismissal of PBO on the repeal of DADT. And there’s never a speech that’s good enough for her. I don’t care what she would say – she can damn well run for President then.

Rachel is a phenomenal talent and intellect but she’s a missed opportunity to further progressive action.

12. August 30, 2013 at 10:49 am

13. 54 99ts
    August 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

Completely off topic – all of ‘em, any of ‘em

While ago someone was talking about watching Broadchurch – UK crime show.
    I had just watched the first couple of shows and was enthusiastic. Ended up being rather disappointed. There were 8 episodes – 50 minutes – could have been covered in half that number. The final episode, which I saw tonight – in my book was a massive fail. Treated the audience as if they were seriously stupid – I hate whodunits that do that – whether they be books or film.

Anywho – if someone else has watched it – let me know what you think – maybe I am too critical

• 55 57andfemale
      August 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I expected to love it. I tried to convince myself that I loved it, because I should love it. But I’m losing interest and very disappointed to hear they blow it at the end.

• 56 99ts
        August 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm

It just got boring 57 – I know how you are thinking. You probably should watch at least some of the last episode – got to find out who did it – I’d love your opinion – maybe I have it wrong.

Also – I think the women actors in the show were so much better than the men – maybe they selected better ones for the roles, but I think it was the males who brought the show down.

• 57 57andfemale
          August 30, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I definitely want to know who did it. we’re halfway through unless I can find it online somewhere.

• 58 99ts
            August 30, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I don’t know of an online source – the last couple of episodes are available to my world – but you would have to do some type of fiddle to access. Keep watching – maybe you will like it better than I did – please do let me know.

14. 59 MightyPamela
    August 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Thank you, Seamus Heaney, May the Angels sing with you now! http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

15. August 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

16. August 30, 2013 at 11:08 am

So, Snowden-Poitras-Greenwald-Miranda is worse than we thought and thanks to The Guardian and WaPo, US intel faces major setbacks, the damage of which will likely take quite a long time to determine. POTUS is in a National Security meeting, the UN Secretary General is meeting with the UN Security Council, the UN inspectors are on their way out of Syria and Kerry is delivering a briefing at 12.30. North Korea has decided not to accept our emissary regarding Kenneth Bae. Boehner is probably on his second round of either golf or booze and seriously, what else can we expect today?

17. 83 Linda
    August 30, 2013 at 11:10 am

MSNBC is bringing on Inhofe to discuss Syria . I wonder if he can find it on a map.!

18. 85 Jovie
    August 30, 2013 at 11:10 am

This idiot Thomas Roberts @msnbc is clearly a valued member of the GOP!

19. 86 debz
    August 30, 2013 at 11:23 am

Wonderful R&S, Chips. I really love Pete Souza’s black & white photos. He is brilliant!

20. 91 Jovie
    August 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

But but but Pelosi is a Neo Con and…

21. August 30, 2013 at 11:28 am

I am fully supportive of military intervention. I am anti-war but my womb ached when I saw the pictures of the Syrian children – where is that promise of never again? We basically ignored the Darfur genocide but can we really ignore chemical warfare? I am not even conflicted – something has to be done.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

Completely torn on this too CT, but the world surely cannot stand by and do nothing? Here’s Michael Cohen in The Guardian (sorry) –

‘The liberal case for President Obama to strike the Syrian regime’

…. Do nothing and the US risks allowing the largely, century-long prohibition on the use of chemical weapons to be weakened. Adherence to global norms plays an important role in limiting warfare and this has benefited the United States. Does America really want to be sitting on the sidelines as this process is begun to come undone?

Do something and you risk further loss of life in Syria, an escalation of the conflict, a hardening of the Assad regime’s position and unintended consequences that the advocates of the use of force rarely seem to consider….

Still if the US response is a limited one (no boots on the ground and no regime change); if it’s articulated as a response to the use of chemical weapons; if it’s intended to serve as deterrent to both Assad and future tyrants, then there is a legitimate justification for force to be utilized…

• August 30, 2013 at 11:39 am

Thanks for this link – those pictures…tears! Pure evil.

• 95 57andfemale
        August 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I just don’t want to see an escalation. I don’t think the limited strike is going to deter them. Unless we had the full international community behind us. There are no good answers. none. Sigh.

• August 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Those exact thoughts have been going through my head, especially the risk of further loss and hardening resolve. I also see the harm in letting it go with no response. For the first time in my voting life I have confidence that our President will not rush into an action, but will have weighed all sides of the issue. My fear is the Impeach Obama crowd will then figure out how to use his decision to get their wish.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

My heart is literally aching for POTUS. This is truly a terrible dilemma. We cannot stand by and watch innocent children napalmed at school. But the consequences of our action are unknown. I thank the universe that President Obama is our CIC but this is a very, very tough situation and I can’t imagine being in his shoes right now. It’s painful to both consider his process and to watch everyone and I mean EVERYONE pile on him.

I will support him and his decision and do my best to understand all of it.

• 99 dotster3
        August 30, 2013 at 11:56 am

Agree. There are so many horrific and unthinkable aspects to this horrible situation. And I imagine we’ll hear indisputable evidence that the Assad govt. was responsible, but it has bothered me that the chemical attack happened the day the U.N. inspectors arrived—–and the recent attack that was being reported to be on a school was not exactly the case—–I believe it was Engle that reported that the attack was on a govt. bldg next door to the school and the effects floated over to the school and horribly affected a h.s. math class—–so I couldn’t figure out why the govt. would attack a govt. building. I just don’t trust anyone there—the Syrian govt., the rebels, whatever evil factions are fighting for control there. But I have learned to trust PBO’s judgment—-he’s always cautious and sure about his decisions in these matters. So I will support him also, but I don’t like anything about it and fear for the unknown consequences.

22. August 30, 2013 at 11:42 am

The idiot that is Don Lemon. Not letting him pretend we’ve forgotten about his disgusting profiling commentary after the GZ not guilty verdict.

23. August 30, 2013 at 11:51 am

OMG

• 105 Jovie
      August 30, 2013 at 11:54 am

That’s not a good headline.

• 106 forus50
      August 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Rather shocking but if it is what she wants then good for her. She has done outstanding work for a VERY long time in the face of the most sexist, disgusting hate from the GOP. And from a practical standpoint, the GOP was able to fundraise mightily off of that.

Reps. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), Debbie Wasserman Schultz (Fla.) and Xavier Becerra (Calif.) are less well known – therefore GOP won’t be able to fundraise the same way with those names as ammunition. And all three are highly qualified imo. Just glad to see that Schumer may not be next in line.

August 30, 2013 at 1:50 pm

She’s been leaning that way, of course, but I’m still a dreamer!

• 108 arkluvspbo
      August 31, 2013 at 2:13 am

Wow, some of the comments on there are just purely hateful. Bitter “people” upset that a woman did a better job than their Boner.

August 30, 2013 at 11:52 am

Good DAY, gentle people! It’s actually Friday, though I was sure it was/would be Saturday. What do I NEED to know about the happenings of today and the immediate past days?

• 110 GGail
      August 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hey VC! so have you found your actual home yet? Do you need my GPS?

August 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

LAMorning, GGail! :grin: I’m getting closer. :lol:

• 112 GGail
          August 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Tell your offspring that the HOT weather from the Boonies, has made it’s way down to my part of Los Angeles. It was 74 degrees (F) when I left for work this morning at 7am!!!

August 30, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Offspring thinks your message is funny. Heat notwithstanding, he sorta liked the boonies, and he sorta liked both Row-day-o and Row-di-o drives. ;)

25. August 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

#TrustBarack

#FORWARD

26. August 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

27. 117 dotster3
    August 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

An amusing OT breather—–my youngest daughter is expecting 1st baby in Oct. She said expectant baby is a math genius, which she attributes to baby having to listen to her teach 7 algebra classes every day. She said if she pokes her tummy once, baby pokes back once, if she pokes twice, baby pokes back twice, 3 times—-3 times. She was laughing but swears this is happening. Impressed?

28. 120 yardarm756
    August 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The way I see it.

29. August 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Speaking of digging the hole you’re in deeper:

My response to @gus_802:

I didn’t listen to Cornell’s link (50 minutes of audio), but Rev Al is the just about the only non-emoprog in the MSNBC evening lineup. I’m reserving judgement on @Lawrence; still find him informative and he hasn’t gone full-GG batshit like Hayes and Maddow.

• August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Interesting…now that the RW mouth pieces…Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh have targeted REV AL…look who has started to do so as well…they must have sent West a memo…

• 129 ericfive
      August 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm

West and Sharpton has a history. Sharpton called West out for sitting in his “ivory tower” writing books and complaining while NEVER working directly with the people to help improve the lives of those he claims to care about. As usual with Tavis and West it is all about settling petty personal vendettas and pimping the plight of the underclass for personal gain. West really needs a good ass kicking, IMHO. History will not be kind to him, if he is remembered at all.

30. August 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm

12:30 EDT: Secretary John Kerry makes statement on Syria

31. 133 Jovie
    August 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

• 134 Jovie
      August 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I don’t get all these left presidents slamming the president. Clinton went the other way.
      At least bush was supportive of this president.
      Amazing!

August 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Carter will always be Carter. Clinton’s Clinton, depending on what spotlight’s on him. #FORWARDwithOBAMA

• 136 Jovie
          August 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm

After the speech at Lincoln memorial, carter was talking to Barack about something, probably syria, carter then put his hand out to shake MO hand, she totally snubbed him. (Apparently)
          And then She started talking to Bill Clinton.
          I found that to be revealing.

August 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Anything’s possible. But I also saw her at the end, when they were all waving goodbye together just in front of the Lincoln Memorial, very delicately and graciously move closer to Jimmy Carter for the photo – and she seemed to mean it.

• 138 Jovie
              August 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I don’t know about that rewind that part of which you speak look at body language?

August 30, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Well, you may be right. One thing’s for sure, we’ll never really know how she feels – she’s too smart! (Pres. Carter has spoken out on any number of things, so it’s possible Mrs. Obama is not too keen on him. But she’s always the First Lady!)

• 140 forus50
        August 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

We don’t know if the Admin is actually wanting these people to publicly state their position. The FDR statement of “Make me do it” can also be considered as “Make me not do it”. As we all know there is a WHOLE lot at risk, including additional loss of civilian lives (and sadly not Assad’s life) by waging any type of strike solely for purpose of “we warned you” type of effect. So if Britain, Congress, American public and former elected officials are against it, it makes the decision to strike on a very limited (or none?) basis easier.

• 142 Don
        August 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Clinton slams President Obama! And in breaking news: water is wet!

• 144 57andfemale
        August 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Expected of Carter.

• 145 Bill R.
      August 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Carter doesn’t want to be reminded of his failed military mission in Iran.

32. August 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Mornin’, Bob – Remember neutral journalistic reporting? It’s all in the Newseum now.

• 148 forus50
        August 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

ahh good one jb. Hadn’t heard the term Newseum before or if I did didn’t equate it with this.

August 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

It’s an actual bricks and mortar place in D.C. – very interesting to visit! But most objective reporting, at least on a national scale, seems to be of a distant time now.

Luckily, everything’s on a pendulum, so I can’t wait for objectivity to swing back!

33. 153 forus50
    August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I’m very conflicted on a possible Syrian strike. I’m glad POTUS hasn’t done it yet and I would like to get him to box in Congress on a vote. Make them publicly state where they are on it versus just come out later against whatever he decides. Either way, I’ll support his decision as I know it will be with facts and not lies, with reason and not hate.

34. 154 GGail
    August 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family. There’s so much good stuff in this R&S that I don’t know what to comment on, so I’ll just smile, nod my head and say “good morning, lovely day, isn’t it” :-)

Oh, but (pun intended) I do have to laugh and appreciate the Boehner twerking pic – PRICELESS! :lol:

35. 155 Debra
    August 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I think President Obama will take the correct action. He is a restrained person and considers all angles of a situation. Sometimes people in the right have a whole lot of naysayers and criticism. I support the President’s decision.

36. 157 forus50
    August 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

tea leaves and all that. I guess we will know soon enough.

37. 158 Bill R.
    August 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Regarding the use of military action in Syria. I support the President’s decision to act against the Syrian military if he does. He won’t get much support from the left because they are nearly always afraid of using military force. Clinton didn’t get any support from them either. It’s one reason why in times past the American people thought of the Dem party as weak on nat security. This president has disproven that accusation, but also made a distinction on the reasons for using military force, as deterrence rather than conquest. Assad and every future dictator will think twice about using chemical weapons on their own people. The lesson of Halabja in Kurdistan is still with us.

38. August 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Hidee O’s!!!! Wha’s up on this great getting up day in TODdytown e’rbody!?!!!! I’m still here in good ol’ No. Dakota and I must say an early morning run in the open spaces with hills is really a different kind of workout. Did a little karaoke for #1 birhtday last night. Needless to say, if I had a day job, I’d surely have to keep it. Now I’m getting ready for the granddaughter’s sweet 16 birthday bash this week-end. I promised her I wouldn’t embarrass her with my dance moves of the 60’s and a little disco from the 70’s. I didn’t say I wouldn’t twerk though.

August 30, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hi Cookem! You are ‘bad’ – all the evidence gathered over the months here support my theory! Happy ‘twerking’ nontheless.

RSS OFA