Sep

A Working Summit

161d9d9df16f831d3c0f6a7067009297

President Barack Obama and Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe shake hands before the start of their bilateral meeting at the G20 Summit

President of the United States of America Barack Obama attends a working meeting of G20 heads of state and government, heads of invited states and international organizations.

782452082

The first working meeting of G20 heads of state and government, heads of invited states and international organizations.

President of the Council of Ministers of the Italian Republic Enrico Letta, President of the United States of America Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron ahead of a working meeting of G20 heads of state and government, heads of invited states and international organizations.

Video: first working meeting of G-20 Heads of State delegations

Learn some fun stuff about G-20 member countries

Friday’s Schedule

The President will attend the G-20 session on investing in growth and jobs.

The President will participate in the G-20 Leaders family photo at the Pavilion of Negotiations at Konstantinovsky Palace.

The President will then participate in the G-20 Leaders working lunch on growth and trade. In the afternoon, following the G-20, the President will participate in a press conference.

White House

2013-09-05T154303Z_1037416371_GM1E9951TK401_RTRMADP_3_G20

President Barack Obama sits next to Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff during the start of the G20 Working Session at the Konstantin Palace in St. Petersburg

2013-09-05T152702Z_1786858704_LR1E99516WRRY_RTRMADP_3_G20

President Barack Obama and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono attend the first working session of the G20 Summit in Constantine Palace in Strelna near St. Petersburg

President of the United States of America Barack Obama arrives in Peterhof.

2013-09-05T192115Z_13725828_GM1E996097201_RTRMADP_3_G20

President Barack Obama and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon attend the working dinner after the session of the G20 Summit in Strelna near St. Petersburg

fab93629f2f28a1d3c0f6a7067003f9a

President Barack Obama walks with other G-20 leaders in the background as they depart for a dinner at Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia

2013-09-05T191014Z_843395618_GM1E99608PB01_RTRMADP_3_G20

President Barack Obama, Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron and Italy’s Prime Minister Enrico Letta attend the working dinner after the session of the G20 Summit in Strelna near St. Petersburg

President Barack Obama walks to attend the working dinner after the session of the G20 Summit in Strelna near St. Petersburg

181 Responses to “A Working Summit”

September 5, 2013 at 5:22 pm
  2. 5 carolyn
    September 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Always love to see pics of our president at international summits. It’s easy to see from the pics that he is well liked and respected…..in spite of what some reporters have tried to say. I believe he and Cameron are good friends, and the Italian prime minister is also making sure he gets face time with our man. I’m sure people are glad Berlusconi is gone.

• 6 CEB
      September 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Carolyn as I looked at the photos. PBO has met and been hosted by or has hosted most of those with whom he is pictured. I think you are also right about his relationship with Cameron which is also, I believe, healthier than the one that Bush and Blair had.

• 7 ericfive
      September 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Many of those same reporters have tried to tell us for 5 years that the American people hate PBO (which the reaction he gets and crowds he draws disproves everytime). The MSM spends way too much time trying to convince people how unpopular PBO is. Propaganda 101.

3. 8 Jovie
    September 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • 9 ericfive
      September 5, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Bill Maher was fired by ABC for talking smack about U.S. soldiers, while that pencil necked geek Chris Hayes disparages the U.S. gov’t and military on a daily basis with no consequences.

4. 10 Dudette
    September 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Thanks UT!

5. 11 joyfulmeme
    September 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm

This is the first time I’ve seen this much reporting on a Presidential trip. His trips are usually ignored in the media.

• 12 GGail
      September 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Is this your first time visiting TOD joyfulmeme?

• September 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, they’re salivating for the “gotcha” moment.

• 14 CEB
      September 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm

They only care because of Syria and their much-desired, but will never happen show down with Putin. They mostly ignored the 3 nation Africa trip earlier this summer as well as all of the other many trips (we followed along guided by Chips) that he has taken on our behalf. They msm cannot stand it that our president is so respected and well-liked abroad so they choose to ignore the trips.

6. 15 GGail
    September 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Thanks UT for the pictures!

President Obama looks better rested now. And he’s using his genuine smile now as oppose to the “photo-op smile” he was using yesterday.

7. 21 Layla
    September 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Is that a “death stare” I see in pic 6……

8. September 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Didn’t we read yesterday that Brazil’s Dilma Rousseff was angry at PBO after idiot’s Greenwald’s announcement about US ‘spying’ on Brazil? Wasn’t she thinking of calling off her planned US visit and state dinner next month? Looks like she cozying up to the president and decided she’s coming after all. She would be a damned fool if she didn’t.

9. 24 GGail
    September 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I should not lust after the leader of the free world – but – dayum he is growing more distinguished moment by moment

10. September 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thank yoooooooooooou UT!!!!

11. 41 a4alice
    September 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Just in case anyone needs a laugh:

12. 43 Dudette
    September 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Opening video of the Working Minutes — approx 17 minutes

13. 47 Dudette
    September 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Wait… one more thing!

President Obama and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan speak to the press before a bilateral meeting at the G20 Summit in St. Petersburg, Russia. September 5, 2013.

14. 49 Linda
    September 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Shellie Zimmerman, George Zimmerman’s wife, has filed for divorce from the 29-year-old who was recently found not guilty for the shooting murder of Trayvon Martin.

MyFoxOrlando confirmed the news with Zimmerman’s brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr.

15. 51 carolyn
    September 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Going to throw something out here for musing. We all know that PBO thinks WAY ahead of others. I’m sure he has contingency plans if Congress says NO to missile attacks in Syria. I’m not at all sure he’ll go ahead with these plans if Congress says no. I think he might pursue other ideas…..do any of you think it might be a possibility to try Assad in absentia at The Hague for crimes against humanity? That would not surprise me…..he thinks in so many directions. Would that even be a possible plan? I don’t know international law…….

• 52 Layla
      September 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Let’s ask Bob

• September 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Couldn’t that only happen with a UN Resolution of condemnation

• September 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I agree that the President thinks way ahead of those with whom he must work. I do think he’d be shocked if Congress can’t come up with an alternative proposal if they choose to do nothing militarily. I think he’d be shocked if Congress decides to do nothing, but “tut-tut” about the atrocity. It’s hard to plan contingencies around a group of people like the ones in Congress.

• September 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm

While the Obama Administration has conducted a much more positive relationship with the ICC it has not signed the Rome statue nor has it submitted the treaty to the Senate for approval to be a ‘member state,’ so its not obvious how effective it would be for President Obama to leverage the ICC. Its certainly an option, but one would expect the France and other ICC member states who’ve already concluded Assad is responsible to call on the ICC to indict him.

It’s essential to remember that Syria is a signatory to the 1925 Geneva Protocol (which is different from the Chemical Weapons Convention) and bars the use of chemical weapons in war. No one doubts Syria has been at civil war for more than two years. We may well hear more about the Geneva Protocol from the President in the days ahead. The US is a signatory and France is the ‘depository’ for the treaty.

But, my advice is to await President Obama’s next formal statement to Americans (and the world) because a lot is going on behind the scenes and given the fact that numerous Arab states and the international Islamic community is condemning Assad and demanding accountability, President Obama will likely have a very strong case for the US meeting its legal obligations regarding Assad/Syria use of chemical weapons.

#TrustBarack

16. September 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Unlike past conflicts, such as the war in Iraq, the Syria intervention is not a unilateral American adventure but is being actively pushed by foreign countries including Muslim countries. The United Kingdom, France, and Turkey have called upon the international community to act, while the Arab League on September 1st issued a statement calling on international intervention to hold responsible the Assad regime for its chemical weapons attacks against civilians. These countries have called for even further action than is Congress is considering. The Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Conference, a conference of the 57 Islamic states in the world, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, has called for a no-fly-zone to be instituted in Syria. The response will be undergone through legal channels. President Obama is asking the Congress of the United States to authorize the use of force, and the evidence has been in public view and will be debated for weeks

17. 68 Jovie
    September 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Syria resolution in danger of failing, says Sen. Lindsey Graham
    Rebecca Shabad
    09/05/13 04:23 PM ET
    If the vote on Syria were held today, it “would surely lose in the House,” the Republican said.…

He spent all this political capital for what?

• 69 ericfive
      September 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I think he is trying to stop further use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government. Since the vote is not held today, I don’t see the usefulness of such defeatism. I’m sure PBO would gladly trade some political capital to save innocent people from being gassed.

• 71 Melissa
      September 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

What do you mean by that Jovie? Who spent political capital?

• 72 Jovie
        September 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I think the President spent political capital by going to congress. I think he could have done this strike by now…
        I understand the argument but the republicans know they ain’t picking up the WH any time soon
        , so they are trying to make government not work.
        Meanwhile, the debt ceiling vote , government spending bills and budget battle is this month and next.
        What a mess!!

• 73 jziglar
      September 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

What political capital ?

Wake-up call America, the President has no political capital because the GOP controlled house refuses to compromise or do anything. We don’t know how this thing will go down at the end so we will just have to wait and see.

• 74 Jovie
        September 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm

That’s a good point . What capital? You’re right!

• 75 jziglar
          September 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Yeah, that is why I don’t like it when the media says that he is spending his political capital with Congress. Anyone who has been paying attention over the past few years knows the President never had any with this Congress.

• 76 carolyn
            September 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

When I hear political capital, I remember GWB after his squeakby win in 2004 who stated he had political capital now and was going to spend it. That’s what I think of that phrase, it truly means nothing. As currency it comes and goes, and is meaningful only in the eyes of self created pundits.
            I would say the President increased his personal and political capital with the populace of the country by supporting the Constitution and having Congress discuss and vote on this case. THEY have no political capital…..so who are they to talk?

• September 5, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Jovie, I wouldn’t believe Lindsey Graham if he said the sun rose in the East. This is partly wishful thinking on his part–he would love to see it fail because he, like McCain, want a full out war with Syria, not a limited strike.

18. 78 0388jojothecat
    September 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I just got through listening to the last Randi Rhodes show that I will ever listen to. I am so disappointed in her with some of the things she is saying and said yesterday that with just a small amount of research I found she was lying about the UN Inspectors only there for less than two hours when they had already been on the ground waiting to inspect other sites. That Al Qaeda is part of the Assad opposition and a host of other lies today. I could not believe that Randi has turned on PBO like she has. She is listening to all the RWNJs saying the President wants to intervene because of “oil pipeline” when that is just not so. She is pushing the “there’s not enough evidence” crap when all she has to do is go on the WH website or Thinkprogress timeline of chemical weapons and a host of other credible sites that point to the fact the Rebels did not do this. In fact she said that there is proof the Rebels did the earlier chemical attack which in my research does not appear to be true.

I am so glad the President is plugging away and will resume this when he comes back. Unfortunately or fortunately people are just gun shy when it comes to whether their Govt leaders are telling the truth after the liars Bush/Cheney got through putting this country in the ditch that not even our allies trust us.

Oh, and the French are with us because I read France Doctors WO Borders was there and could confirm that the rockets came from Assad based areas, that the Rebels snuck people out of Syria who were affected by the chemicals so that an independent hospital could treat them and gather evidence. There were Syrian soldiers that blamed the Rebels but none of them showed signs of chemicals.

• September 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm

People are reverting to their old left-wingnut schtick because the amount of work that you just did to explore the truth of what is really happening is way too much for them to pursue. They get their talking point from their PL homies and run with it. I have a couple friends like that but thank goodness they don’t have a radio or TV show. It’s just the most disgusting thing imaginable with an issue this important.

• 80 theo67
      September 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I haven’t been able to listen to her, or Nicole Sanders -?- when she was filing in for her last week when the President started considering his response options. So much screeching, so little actual debate. Impugning the President with motives of his predecessors, and accusing him of using Syria and potential military activity to somehow warm up the GOP via their blood-lust/war-mongering. It’s uncalled for. The President has never portrayed himself as someone who would use innocent lives to curry favor with those who love war, and he’s spelled out his position on “just war” for a while now – even before his Nobel speech. There really is no excuse.

I am very anti-war. I think the President holds more stern positions on the use of war, and I can’t say that I agree with him on all of it. However, after watching him for these past several years, one thing I know is that he loves (all) people, he respects the power of the military, and he would never just go to war or drop bombs for nefarious purposes. He’s very thoughtful – more thoughtful than his critics from the left and the right. And he takes his job of protecting Americans – now and future – very seriously. I strongly disagree with anyone who’s trying to paint him in a negative light with the Syria options, given that there are no good options here.

I won’t commit to never going back to Randi, but if she doesn’t lighten up with her hyperventilating on this, then I may have to take an extended break. I can’t see how she will walk back some of her accusations this week – and that’s in the 15 minutes total that I’ve tried to listen to her before running away. I can only imagine what’s been going on the rest of the time.

• 81 jziglar
        September 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

The arguments she is making makes no sense. If President Obama wanted to go into Syria all along then wouldn’t it have made more sense to get involved two years ago ? And last I checked the U.S. doesn’t depend on Syria for oil so what benefit would they get from getting involved for a pipeline we will not benefit from ?

The emos can’t answer these basic questions because they are stupid.

• September 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I beat you to it theo67. I have already taken my extended break, beginning 2 weeks ago when Sandler was filling in. Starting yesterday, I decided not to listen until they get this Syria bashing out of their system. While, Randi is good with her research and facts, she can run things in the ground. I don’t expect her to lighten up anytime soon. Remember, these folks have 3 hours to fill everyday and they love when something like this is news.

September 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Shucks, GG & T – thinking of you, and other TODobots who are impacted. You’d all better take it easy and stay inside.

• 86 theo67
      September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Not sure where my response went…

September 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Which response? Did it get consumed by the heat?

• 88 theo67
          September 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I think it might have been eaten by the heat! I sent a response about how hot and humid it’s been this week. The sun is like it’s punishing somebody for some mis-deed. They said we’ve broken records for the highest evening lows – it was 80+ degrees one night last week. And they’ve issued heat warnings today. Very hot.

September 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Oh dear. Now I understand better why GGail was blaming me for the heat earlier. I’ve got to reassure her I’m hot, but not THAT hot. Be heat smart, please, Theo – no hiking or grass cutting.

• 90 theo67
              September 5, 2013 at 7:23 pm

You say that like I’ve got a history of the “hiking” and “grass cutting”. I’m not familiar with those terms…

September 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm

110 in Phoenix right now….it’s Sept., right?

September 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

110! I keep telling you guys to come on over – I can’t tell the last time I’ve turned on my air-conditioning. Simply opening a window here helps with the heat. Right now I have 16 degrees celsius, which I’m told is about 60.8 degrees F. I could never handle 110 F!

September 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I’d be freezing my butt off:) I have a sweater on if it’s 75:)

September 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Sigh! /washing my hands of you/ I see you are hopeless, Desertf. I am sitting here in my summer dress (thin straps, low back) and it feels quite nice. As soon as I stir up some energy I’ll go find myself something to eat.

BTW, did you see the video about Khan Academy free online math help that I left you last night? I have never tried it, but a friend of mine who tutors told me about it ages ago. Apparently she directs her students to it for practice purposes.

• September 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

As they say in the Geico commercials, “It’s a sow-na in here”. I’ll be glad when this high pressure breaks and we can get to fall weather. I just hope the Santa Anas won’t be too bad this year, as our forests are tinder-dry.

• 98 theo67
          September 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

The good thing is that the heat has had about 60 percent humidity – the report this morning said it’s usually at about 30 percent. The expectation is that the humidity will start to die down this weekend, but the hot temperatures will continue. They said the humidity has added a feeling that it’s about 20-30 degrees warmer – making people feel like we’re at 115 degrees… Not fun.

• September 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Life-long SoCalifornian here.

It’s been hot and humid, but folks, our hottest time of year is early September. We usually get the tropical storm effects in August.

1984 was the worst year for Augustheat/humidity.

I lived practically on the beach in Oxnard, and the humidity was stifling. No breeze, even at the ocean the low temps were around 80 degrees. It was worse the further south you went. People returned from San Diego and said they had the worst weekend of their lives (because of the heat, humidity and lack of breeze).

So chin up. Our hot weather is nearly behind us this year. But (shudder) fire season will be so dangerous and scary. We’ve gotten what, maybe 10 inches of rain the past couple of years?

• September 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Our “rainy seasons” have been jokes these past couple of years. Last summer it was predicted that it would be an El Nino weather pattern for the past winter. That pretty much went pfft by September. Now NOAA is saying that our rainfall has an equal chance of being above, at, or below average this winter.

20. September 5, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    • 102 arkluvspbo
      September 7, 2013 at 9:19 am

Prettyfoot, so true! I do not trust the judgement of the American citizenry that allowed GWB to be “president”, not once, but twice.
      as Bobfr says, #trustbarack.

21. September 5, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oh boy……

• 104 theo67
      September 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

This doesn’t surprise me about Grayson. He’s an opportunist. Hasn’t accomplished anything in the House. Talks a lot – does nothing. Emoprogs dream.

• September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I never had much time for him Theo, but the TPV post is amazing – he’s actually fundraising off his Syria bleating, and citing the frigging Daily Caller to support his stance. Frankly, **** him forever.

• 106 theo67
          September 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

He’s reprehensible. People have died a horrible death, and many others continue to live in trauma and in fear for their lives – and all he thinks about is how to use it to his advantage. Scum of the earth.

• September 5, 2013 at 11:48 pm

For some reason Alan Grayson and Ed Schultz always seemed comparable to me, both not thinking things through and speaking emotionally for effect. They do not seem to be intellectual, but only seem to be furthering their own purposes. As much as the GOP completely infuriates me, I will say they seem to support their party unlike the out for themselves only Dems.

• 108 theo67
          September 6, 2013 at 12:02 am

You’ve mentioned the only “redeeming” factor of the GOP. Their blind loyalty. They are bound together by their hate and ignorance, and they are too shallow to dig any deeper.

The thing is – if dissension on the left was not so disingenuous (of late), then it would be a real strength. The blind loyalty of the right is good for keeping people in line, but it’s not good for the long term health of their party or the country. Right now, their blind loyalty has them voting against their interests, in favour of the idiots who are stealing them (and their children) blind, and demanding the ouster of one of the best Presidents this country has ever seen (and possibly will ever see. They are not trying to push a different agenda – they’ve been opposing a lot of the very things they have always stood for. Their bigotry has gotten the better of them.

As for Grayson and Ed – I so agree with you. They’re both emotional circus performers – ranting and raving as long as they have an audience. Not worth our time. They

• September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Of course, I removed myself from Fifty Shades of Grayson’s email list about 2 years ago, so I had no idea.

• September 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

“Fifty Shades of Grayson”

LL, I love you!

• September 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Well, I *am* a librarian.

It was quite disconcerting to have a past-60 Russian babushka asking me for the Russian translations of the entire trilogy yesterday. I didn’t need those images in my head.

September 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Late last year, when my 22-year-old granddaughter was visiting, she was reading the trilogy. I said, “Do you mind if I read them, when you’re done?” She said, “Sure!” I said (something like), “Thanks for not asking why a past-60 Russian babushka would want to read them.” And she liberally responded, unlike some librarians I “know” who call themselves liberal, “Thanks for not asking ME the same question.” And we laughed. The end.

#CleanUpAtTheReferenceDesk

• 118 Dudette
            September 5, 2013 at 8:48 pm

ROFL! Love that! :-)

22. September 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Ok, damn, what’s that they say about Cher and cockroaches and surviving the nuclear apocalypse???

So Cher released a new single over 3 months ago, and of course it’s burning up the dance charts (the new album come out Sept 2013). Man I bet this one has been tearing up the dance clubs since it came out!!! Oh and at 67 years young, go ahead Cher.

Cher – Woman’s World

• September 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

She has a picture of herself in her attic where she’s actually 203 years old. (Random Dorian Gray reference.)

• 122 theo67
        September 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm

That would explain a lot!

• September 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

seriously, I know she’s had plastic surgery, but still damn she hasn’t come to crazy PS territory yet. she’s awesome. I follow her on twitter and she’s a BIG Obama supporter and I love how she will call out the RWNJ at Faux news and gossip rags like TMZ on her twitter timeline

• 124 Dudette
        September 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm

She’s spends big money on every anti-aging tool, technology, procedure, etc. available. Believe it or not, I met someone in a class years ago who does or did) her colonics in NY — I swear to God! I’m tripping just reading that! Who knew I’d have an occasion to share that little tidbit. :-D :-D :-D

23. September 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I haven’t really watched any political shows since around the time the NSA/Snowden/Greenwald bidness began. I def haaven’t watched any of them lately with the Syria business and honestly, I’ve decided I’m done commenting on the whole business, here and elsewhere, I’ve said my piece and I’m done.

I wasn’t around when all the liberal blogs and stuff started up (like you guys and DKOS and such) during the Bush years, so the constant daily, post after on the same subject is a brow-beating.

So anyway, I haven’t watched much of any politics based programming.

24. September 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

And yes, it’s a remote possibility that a military action against Assad’s chemical weapons cache will unleash another chemical attack. But what do you think will happen if we do nothing? Do you think he’ll never do it again, if he knows there will be no response? I guarantee another attack if we do nothing

September 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

My interpretation, assumption really, is that the president would be targeting Assad’s supply area etc. etc. in order to destroy or severely curtail his ability to use CW going forward. So unless, Assad cruelly moves his supplies to a heavily residential area my scenario does not see many deaths. My only fear is that Assad may be cunning enough to set things up so that any hit on his supplies would set off an even bigger chemical problem than before, thereby being able to argue the hit killed more people than he did.

25. September 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • 130 Jovie
      September 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Joe was all about a strike last week this month not so much.

September 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Let us remember when the polls showed that 90% were in favor of background check, or in favor of a job bill, the Republicans didn’t pay them any attention did they? As I keep saying there comes a time when you must do the right thing, even if you have to do it alone. It is all about damaging President Obama for the Republicans, and if the Democrats go along with it I am done with them. I will become an Independent.

September 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm
  27. 135 Jovie
    September 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm
  28. September 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm
  29. September 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm

KISS …

#TrustBarack

September 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm
  31. 152 Jovie
    September 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Senate sets up pro forma to file Syria resolution
    By Ramsey Cox
    The Senate will hold a pro forma session on Friday to allow the Foreign Relations Committee to file a joint resolution on the use of U.S. Armed Forces in Syria.
    Senate leaders have said they expect the body to debate and consider the resolution next week.

32. 153 japa21
    September 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Two quick comments, then I have to prepare dinner and finish the laundry.

The first is that, in addition to making Congress have to make a decision, the reason he threw the decision there is to give him more time to work with other nations. The more nations that come out against Assad, the more pressure it puts on him to possibly work toward a diplomatic solution. I think Assad is counting on the US being the only nation willing to take action and that if the US was alone on this, we wouldn’t do anything. Unlike Bush, who was going to invade Iraq no matter what, Obama would be more than willing to work things out from a diplomatic stand if Assad indicated a willingness to do so.

Plus the more countries he can get lined up, the more Congress may go along with it. And this approach seems to be starting to bear fruit.

The second comment deals with the polling showing 80% of Americans against the strike. I actually believe that to be the case, and, with the scare mongering going on, I am not surprised. However, I have not seen a breakdown, and maybe others have, of how that 50% breaks down on a vital distinction: US goes at it alone vs US goes at it as part of a major coalition.

There was a lot of talk prior to Iraq about how 67% favored our invasion. But actually only 33% favored it the way it was done and the other 34% favored it if we had UN approval or a much larger coalition than we did.

I’ll be back later with other thoughts.

September 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hey Japa, I was just about to sign off for dinner. Hurry up there, will you, I am actually hungry now that I think about it.

33. September 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I do not put much stock in polls…

34. 156 kathryn kivett
    September 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, Chris Matthews is right….the Senate resolution was amended to include further involvement in Syria instead of just the strikes in retaliation for CW…intjected by McCain….tHIS is not what PBO proposed….I’m not so sure of this anymore and somehow I wonder if PBO is either…..What I think is….Congress is going to say No b/c of the way it is worded, and I hope they do….PBO is going to strike anyhow, just as he had planned….surgical strikes but nothing further….and then who knows…I honestly do not think PBO is going to back down on this…Yes, I think CW use by Assad was the impetus for action but he is going to make a statement to Iran also to protect…Jordan, Israel, Turkey, and Lebanon…..

• 157 kathryn kivett
      September 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm

injected…can’t type

• 158 jziglar
      September 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm

The President doesn’t have to follow the authorization line by line. The President has no plans to escalate this into a full blown war. So we should keep that in mind.

• September 5, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Exactly. Let’s not forget that the President is VERY restrained and judicious in his use of power. Congress can give him all the powers they want but he doesn’t have to and likely will not use them. In fact, I think he will come out waaaaay ahead if they do write those powers in and when he doesn’t use them they will rant and rave and he will come out looking all the better.

• 160 theo67
      September 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Actually – I read earlier (here) that Iran is opposed to the use of chemical weapons because of their past, so I don’t think President Obama needs to send them a message about this. Don’t try to second-guess this. Let it play out. You’ll drive yourself crazy in the meantime. There’s so much we don’t/can’t know, and things are moving every minute. The President will do what he needs to do, and what he can do..

35. 164 Layla
    September 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I am going to wait for PBO on all of this Syria business! I do not care who says what on TV, polls, congress critter statements, politicians…it’s all noise! waaaay to much noise…

• 165 Jovie
      September 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm

And lies, many lies to support agendas.

• September 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Agree, Layla.

To wit:

What every head of state knows is that the law must be enforced. Some are more inclined to do so than others, but they all know the bottom line in not enforcing the law.

As with the invasion of Kuwait, it took a while but a formidable coalition was forged.

Gassing innocents is so way out there & the fact that agents like sarin are ‘portable’ makes every head of state pay attention to the message of not enforcing some of the longest standing international treaties/statutes.

That, I have no doubt, is the conversation our President, several other heads of state and their various ‘secretaries’ (‘ministers’) have been having.

I think it highly likely that the coalition that President Obama is forging will be much larger than the one GWHBush forged prior to liberating Kuwait.

#TrustBarack

• 167 Layla
        September 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

TY Bob! I am sooo tired of all the speculation!!! As you so very well often state:’Trust Barack he’s earned it”

September 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm

From the link in this tweet where Ben Rhodes answers questions re a meeting between PBO and Japan’s PM

“MR. RHODES: I’m just going to do a readout of the meeting between the President and Prime Minister Abe of Japan, and then can take a few questions on that.

…..
        They discussed a range of alliance issues. On the economic side, they discussed ………..
        ………….

MR. RHODES: Well, again, I don’t want to speak for the Japanese; I’ll let them speak to their position. What I will say is that the U.S. and Japan were in agreement that there needs to be a response, that the international norm surrounding chemical weapons needs to be upheld. And in the spirit of our alliance, we have — I think the two leaders have an expectation that we’ll be able to reach a shared position on Syria.

So, again, it was a productive discussion in that regard, and we welcome Japan’s continued insistence that there be a response to the use of chemical weapons.
        ………………..//

• 169 nathkatun7
      September 6, 2013 at 12:21 am

“t’s all noise! waaaay to much noise…”

Exactly, Layla. The reason I stopped watching 24-7 cable news channels was because of all they hype, sensationalism, and unfounded speculations that turned out not to be accurate. Like you I will wait for the President and the final vote in Congress. If the majority of members of Congress vote against the President, history will judge them harshly for their moral failings and for letting political ideology and hatred of President Obama blind them from holding a brutal dictator accountable.

36. September 5, 2013 at 8:09 pm

um ok, so Alec Baldwin getting an MSNBC show. Um whatever MSNBC, Miss Joy Ann Reid been busting her butt on all ya’ll’s crappy shows!

Why not nothing for her?

Man, I’m glad I dont’ watch MSNBC anymore

37. 172 Jovie
    September 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm
  38. September 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Another reason I’m giving up on responding to or posting about Syria, I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve been having some really dark thoughts and snarky comments that I don’t really want to put out into the ether. So instead, I’m just taking myself out of the whole commentary equation.

I’ll wait and see things as they unfold, and that’s it.

39. 175 Vicki
    September 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I’m watching the Chris Hayes/John Kerry interview and so far if there is anything new here, I’ve missed it.

40. 176 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    September 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Good evening, TOD. Still up to my a$$ in paperwork, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks once again for all of the wonderful birthday wishes.

{{{{CHIPS}}}}} CONGRATS!!!! Thank you for all that you and the mini BT’s do to keep us informed and engaged. I’ve missed most of this trip, but have the joy of knowing that it will be here for me when I’m out from under this pile of work. WOW, 21m — you rock!

41. 177 dotster3
    September 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Treasury Dept today proposed new rule changes to “ease the burden” of employers reporting employees’ info under Obamacare

42. 179 99ts
    September 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm

If you haven’t seen it – the real polls are on the Onion – ROFL

“The majority of Americans approve of sending Congress to Syria”

43. September 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Good evening TOD family. It’s been a very busy day. Have so much catching up to do. I want to follow all PBO is doing. Thank goodness for TOD. I am so thankful for twitter. It is such a great way to pass information.