Sep

Rise and Shine

Three Years Ago Today: President Obama waits in the Blue Room before his news conference in the East Room of the White House (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times Eastern):

12:30: The President meets with the Senate Democratic Caucus, United States Capitol

1:45: Meets with the Senate Republican Conference

9:01:30 Delivers a statement on Syria from the East Room

Steve Benen: Syria signals stronger support for solution

Yesterday, after Russia endorsed Secretary of State John Kerry’s suggested course on Syria’s chemical weapons, Syria’s foreign minister, Walid al-Moallem, quickly expressed support for the idea. The Syrian official did not, however, fully and formally embrace the proposal on behalf of the Assad government.

Today, Syria went further:

Syria confirmed it would accept a Russian-brokered proposal to place its chemical weapons under international control Tuesday, just hours after France announced it would seek a U.N. Security Council resolution seeking a similar plan…..

….. while I hope this resolution to the crisis comes together quickly, let’s not get too excited just yet.

…. let’s keep the champagne on ice. I’m sure everyone is hoping for the best, and there’s reason for cautious optimism, but the crisis is ongoing, high-level meetings will continue in Washington and elsewhere today, and President Obama is still scheduled to deliver a national address this evening from the White House.

Full post here

Oooooh, this is brilliant:

Bob Cesca: A Deal to Prevent a War in Syria Reveals Obama as JFK, Not GWB

For the last couple of weeks, President Obama has been running a two-tiered strategy: on one hand, scaring the holy bejeezus out of Assad and Putin, while simultaneously offering enough time for Assad regime to save face as it contemplate how to wiggle out of this mess.

It was only on Monday when it occurred to me that the most appropriate historical precedent wasn’t Iraq (of course) or Libya, but the quarantine line around Cuba in October, 1962. I’ll come back to this presently.

Of course the truth about how the Obama administration’s national security team has handled the Syrian chemical weapons crisis was almost entirely obscured in the press when it was reported that Russian president Vladimir Putin, via his foreign minister Sergey Larov, had, at least on paper, convinced Bashar al-Assad to permit the dismantling and seizing of his military’s chemical weapons arsenal. In keeping with nearly every accomplishment of this president, whether center-right or center-left, liberal or conservative, the news was treated as somehow a loss for the administration….

This scenario entirely overlooked two things: 1) the Friday G20 meeting between Putin and the president, and 2) Secretary Kerry’s remarks on Sunday, which offered Syria a way out…..

More here

The People’s View

If you haven’t read ‘President Obama Drops the Mic: Crumbling Under US Pressure, Russia Tells Syria to Disarm’ yet, do it now!

I’m beginning to think Spandan has a crystal ball – he’s got this right every step of the way.

Steve Benen: The origins of a diplomatic solution

The prospect of Syria giving up its chemical weapons seemingly came out of the blue yesterday …. But did the idea really come about accidentally? Did Kerry stumble into a solution with an off-hand remark?

…….. here was an exchange with PBS’s Gwen Ifill that struck me as especially interesting:

IFILL: John Kerry talked today about a limited, targeted, unbelievably small effort. And now we’re hearing news that Russia has a plan, a solution, perhaps, which would allow Syria to take all of its weapons and put it under international control. Is that something that you’ve had any conversations at all with President Putin about when you were in St. Petersburg last week?

OBAMA: I did have those conversations. And this is a continuation of conversations I’ve had with President Putin for quite some time. As I said to you the last time we spoke, this chemical weapons ban matters to us, to the United States.

More here

Michael Tomasky: Getting Behind the Russia Plan

My biggest question about what is evidently being called (slightly unfairly to John Kerry) the “Russia Plan” is this: What’s Russia’s motivation for suddenly being peacemaker here? Putin hates Obama, hates America, and has thrown about two tons of sand in the gears of the U.S.-Rossiya relationship since he got back into power. So why would he want to pull Obama’s chestnuts out of the fire?

I’m not sure, but I think it’s basically for the same reason that the guy on the other side of those double-yellow lines on the road doesn’t suddenly swerve in front of you. He may be an asshole. He may beat his wife. If you met him in a bar, he might be all likkered up and decide he wants to kick your pasty, yuppie ass just for the hell of it.

But he doesn’t want to die, or wreck his own vehicle. I think this must be kind of like that….

More here

Morning everyone.

In much more important news, this blob is my new puppy (photo not take by Pete Souza):

He arrives in my life on October 19 – UT, would you mind doing R&S that day? :???:

132 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 africa
    September 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

Good day all.

September 10, 2013 at 9:52 am
    September 10, 2013 at 9:53 am
    September 10, 2013 at 9:56 am

“GOOD MORNING, TODobots!”
    Special ‘HOWDY MAYOR’, Ms Chips!
    Can’t wait for the 9pm PBO address!

September 10, 2013 at 9:56 am

Fantastic Rise and Shine Chiparoo. Do R&S on October 19th? Hmmm….only if you admit Chelsea is the best! :D

September 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

Chips, wait a minute! This puppy already thinks he’s such a celebrity that he’s disguising himself from the TOD paparazzi? Get out!

September 10, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • 20 57andfemale
      September 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

The MSM and what passes for progressive media, with their snide b.s. like the TPM story. It was refreshing to hear AJA report it as beginning with the administration and Kerry, discussed by PBO with Putin at the G20 and then Russia making the overture.

What is so ‘brave’ about our President – if Assad will pay attention to Russia, then let Russia make the overture. As long as we get control of Syria’s chemical weapons. But the rush from the entire American press to diminish PBO, when his actions mirror JFK and the Cuban missile crisis, is despicable.

September 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

I can smell that little puppy breath from here! He’s resting up for you, Chips! Adorable doesn’t even come close….

9. 31 Jovie
    September 10, 2013 at 10:00 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:00 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:01 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:01 am

What I see in my head right now, is that pic of PBO and Putin…with Putin looking so sheepish and PBO looking like he just kicked some serious ass….can you add that to the post?

13. 36 Byo
    September 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

Yes, adorable. I can guarantee you will fall in love all over again!
    So have you decided on a name yet?

• September 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

No name yet Byo, still recovering from the shock of my decision!

• 38 57andfemale
        September 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

have your short-list of names. He will tell you who he is.

I had a short list of 5 girl’s names when I went to see Pearl at the shelter. She was called ‘Jewels’ and had never had a name for her first 7 years. She did not engage me – she was watching all the little puppies get adopted. I held her, petted her, talked to her for about 45 minutes. She didn’t resist, she just wasn’t engaged. After 45 minutes, I said, “Hi, Pearl” and she turned 270 degrees on my lap and looked me in the eyes.

That was it. Even though Hubby thought maybe we should sleep on it, there was no way I was putting her back in that cage. Her new life was going to begin right then. I called him, told him to go to the bank and get money. He wasn’t all the way in the door when he said, “Aw, is she adorable.” Realize – she had hair loss, she was swollen from her last litter, she was 7 years old. But it was Love.

Gather all the suggestions possible for a name. Then that sweet puppy will tell you who he is.

14. 40 57andfemale
    September 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Not that I’m anywhere near as smart as Bob Cesca, but I have been saying for over a week that this is JFK & the Cuban missile crisis NOT Iraq or Libya. I’ve been screaming it at the TV, at my husband and anyone else who will listen to my rants.

By the way, on AJA this morning, they framed the new developments as Russia making a proposal based on Kerry’s conditions from last week, the groundwork of PBO at G20, and in response to possible action by the U.S.

My husband, who is home during the day, really enjoys their in depth coverage, their pundit-free news and what he considers a real balance.

15. 41 Jovie
    September 10, 2013 at 10:06 am
  16. 42 Jovie
    September 10, 2013 at 10:13 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:15 am

This is a must read by Jon Favreau. I miss him being on the inside but he does great work from the outside.

September 10, 2013 at 10:16 am
  19. 45 Don
    September 10, 2013 at 10:17 am

Its kinda ironic that the only two people that believed every word President Obama said was Putin and Assad.

September 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/10/is-obama-a-diplomatic-genius-on-syria/

How well things moved Monday was extraordinary, like dominoes falling, each one toppling the next — from Kerry, to Russia, to Syria, to Obama, to Reid. Is this a serendipitous convergence of suddenly, inexplicably, like-minded leaders? Or is there more to this story than meets the eye?

The question comes to mind of whether there has been a diplomatic strategy all along, worked out behind-the-scenes, among a diverse cast of characters. Did Obama take the issue of a strike to Congress precisely for this reason — to allow time for cooler heads to prevail and for a non-violent option to emerge, perhaps an option he had in mind from the very beginning? Was it an end run around the hawks and the lobbyists, like AIPAC — a maneuver that urged a strike in order to show strength, but ultimately intended to achieve a different, better outcome?

If Obama is the mastermind behind a complicated chess game that ends with a viable political/diplomatic solution, rather than a military one, he may — at long last — have earned his Nobel Peace Prize.

September 10, 2013 at 10:19 am

At this point IMO it would be ‘perfect’ if Congress gave the President a resounding ‘YES’ on the resolution for a strike in Syria, knowing that he would not use it unless he needed to.

22. 51 Jovie
    September 10, 2013 at 10:23 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

The House Armed Services Committee holds a hearing on the authorization to use force in Syria on Tuesday. Secretary of State John Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Martin Dempsey are expected to testify. Watch live below at 10:00 am ET:

24. September 10, 2013 at 10:25 am
  25. September 10, 2013 at 10:28 am

GM Chips, TOD…… patiently waiting for *blob* to become a permanent member of the family…. So happy for you!! Oct. 19 is a pretty good day in my books….. my birthday & munchkin’s arrival :)

September 10, 2013 at 10:28 am
    • 58 HZ
      September 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Good Morning my Chips and TOD family. A beautiful day, indeed. Our beautiful Chips will be choosing with much excitement a name for the beautiful new arrival on Oct. 19th. I am so excited to be one of the Senior Great Auntie.’ May I have the honor, Chips? Oh, he looks so precious and ready to become so spoil by the ‘Senior Great Aunties and Great Uncles for that matter.

Excitement for our TOD family. Sunny has met the press, now we will have to have Pete Souza privately take photos for the new arrival coming to our Chips and our TOD family. Invitations only.

Now, I love Jon’s piece. He is such a brilliant writer and thinker. I know that he is one young man that President Barack Obama will have as a dear friend forever. Count on it.

Now, this has always, from the moment it was posted, one of my favorites of our brilliant president and our brilliant AG. I know these two brilliant men are having a private conversation about the hearing that AG Holder had just left that afternoon. Remember. He is telling POTUS about how he burned old man Issa’s butt. I love it. Love our President and our Attorney General, Eric Holder. Two brilliant and fine men, indeed.

Now everyone, relax, think, listen, gracefully have your computers and tv ready tonight for our President’s speech. He will be fine, and those who think outside of the box will be fine. This one will go down in the history books for the true readers and believers. May grace, favor, and wisdom be granted to our President tonight.

I am preparing my home for a gentle, firm, clear, and calmness to occupy my space in preparation for our great President’s speech. I pray for his day to be blessed with a sweet spirit, a calm spirit, a clear mind, and a heart of compassions, all mingled within his core of a leader like no other leader this nation has ever seen or had, IMPO.

Everyone, be peaceful in your space, and remember we still have work to do, But we will be fine. Trust me. Trust our president.
      Have a lovely day.
      Loving thoughts going out to Layla, Amk, vc, Africa, Fred, and all of my dear and precious loving TOD family members. () () () HZ

• 60 Dudette
      September 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Btw, I had to update my Twitter profile with that picture… cuz, WOW!

27. September 10, 2013 at 10:35 am

Stars are aligned Chips. I think you should name him ‘Rocky’ in honor of our POTUS (Uncle Rocky) :-) My case: He is gorgeous (check), he is black (check) He has an August birthday (check) You are crazy about him (check) LOL! :-)

28. September 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

I really do come here for my news. Can’t stand the MSM. Journalism has really gone down hill. Chips and all the TOD family….thanks for keeping me sane!

On the new puppy….I can think of one name that comes to mind. LUCKY!

Lucky, because Chips will be his parent
    Lucky, because he was born within the best President ever, second term
    Lucky, because he was chosen by Chips to have a home and not be abandoned.I

As the mom of 3 rescues…..I know Chips will be a fantastic parent to LUCKY!

• 63 Nena20409
      September 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Wow, that was my suggestion to Chips many threads ago.

Lucky!

Now Proud is suggesting the same name. As a kid growing up, We had a Black dog like Chips named Lucky. Lucky replaced another black dog, named Whiskey.

• 64 Dudette
      September 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Aw, that’s sweet!

29. 65 Mellesia Barnett
    September 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

WOW I am shocked Mitch “turtle” McConnell will vote NO… damn tool

30. September 10, 2013 at 10:47 am
    September 10, 2013 at 10:48 am

Sooo, has Obama been impeached yet?

September 10, 2013 at 10:48 am

Ron Perlman from Sons of Anarchy and Hell Boy.

33. 73 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2013 at 10:51 am

As Syrian crisis turns, U.S. conservatives rally behind Putin

By Steve Benen

——————————–

And for the right, the notion that Syria could become a political plus for Obama just won’t do. So what’s the alternative for U.S. conservatives? Quick, praise Putin!
    Coming on the heels of other conservatives celebrating Putin, the whole dynamic just seems to be increasingly creepy. When was the last time U.S. Republicans were so vocal about their affections for a former KGB official with an authoritarian streak?

——————————-

34. 74 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

“The proposal is a true diplomatic breakthrough long in the making”

35. 76 Don
    September 10, 2013 at 10:57 am

I mean what’s the big deal, any old President could have gotten Russia to convince Syria to give up their chemical weapons.

36. 78 JER
    September 10, 2013 at 10:58 am
    September 10, 2013 at 11:03 am
  38. 80 Squarepeg
    September 10, 2013 at 11:04 am

Forgive my language right now, ya’ll…but President Obama is a BAD MOTHERFUCKER, man….

September 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

what puppy ? That looks a cross between a cat and a mouse.

September 10, 2013 at 11:13 am
    September 10, 2013 at 11:14 am
  42. 97 JER
    September 10, 2013 at 11:24 am
  43. 98 57andfemale
    September 10, 2013 at 11:31 am
  44. September 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

I don’t know who is worse… emprog’s or actual elected members of the Democratic Party. They both sicken me equally!

• 100 Linda
      September 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

They are all footnotes in history and will not be remembered by anyone other than their families

• September 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hiya LP, that just makes my skin crawl – you know, if I’d a choice at this stage between Grayson and friggin’ Bachmann, I’d probably take her.

• September 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

GM Chips…. I had the same thoughts going through my head…. I almost expect this crap from the *TV Whore* Grayson, but Tulsi Gabbard too? She is from Hawaii, and apparently pissed that PBO backed his 2008 Campaign Chair (Schatz) to replace Inoaye for senate…… I don’t know, I hope more names are leaked so I can find out how many snakes have been hiding in plain sight!

• September 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hiya LP, aaaaah, didn’t know that about Gabbard ….. these people are so principled, aren’t they?

• September 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Rand Paul is delivering a * Response * to the president tonight……….. TV networks have to RSVP if they want access. What a joke! If they give him national airtime help us all…… This tweet, delivered in jest, is more apropos than K. O’Donnell intended.

• September 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

the GOP has not learned yet/none of their so-called Golden Boys have fared well after giving a so-called responses eg. Jindal…Rubio….

i wonder if Rand Paul will adjust his speech to whatever he thinks PBO will say or will it just be an early presidential rant …

• 107 No Child Left Behind
        September 10, 2013 at 11:58 am

GM Chipsticks,

Don’t let these lesser beings get under your skin. After watching the video of Prima Dona Bachmann in Cairo, “talking to the Egyptian people, I gave up on fighting STUPID. I also reminded myself that there could be more to it than stupidity. There may be a real clinical condition that is so subtle that it escapes most people. INSANITY.

• 108 Ladyhawke
      September 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

I just felt dirty reading this tweet. It’s absolutely disgusting.

45. September 10, 2013 at 11:38 am
    September 10, 2013 at 11:42 am
    September 10, 2013 at 11:42 am

Quote of the day!

48. 117 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

Greg Sargent ‏@ThePlumLineGS 1h

—————————–

Breaking: McConnell to oppose Obama policy after five years of opposing everything he’s ever proposed

————————————-

Retweeted by Tommy Vietor

49. 118 Dakota
    September 10, 2013 at 11:46 am

President Barack Obama…nothing else needs to be said.

50. September 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

What we were debating yesterday was a series of punitive strikes to ‘deter’ future use of chemical weapons and perhaps ‘degrade’ Assad’s chemical weapons capacity. What we’re talking about now is turning those weapons over to international control – probably under some sort of UN aegis – and putting them on a path toward destruction. There’s no question, if your issue is chemical weapons, the latter is the better outcome. Not just in terms of the Assad regime’s potential future use of these weapons but custody of them in the aftermath of the regime’s possible fall……….

The key to understand is that this starts a UN Security Council process that probably won’t be vetoed (the Chinese being the wildcard). Soon you’ll have some sort of force on the ground in country inspecting and securing these weapons or knocking at the door of an isolated and recalcitrant Syrian regime…..

It allows the entire framework of the discussion to be changed in favor of the international position, it allows a fresh discussion in the UNSC (where, as you point out, Russia or China will have to slow it down or derail it), and it really changes nothing because the al-Assad regime won’t accept it. They’re in a death struggle for survival – their global approval ratings are the least of their challenges, and with Saudi, Turkey and Israel making various threatening noises, Assad and his brother need a big stick to try to deter more aggressive action.
    So now a strike, if one actually comes to pass, can be framed not only to punish the regime and deter future CW releases, but also to reinforce international demands that he disarm…

51. 121 Jeff
    September 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

The president can act without congressional approval if he wanted to. The fact is that chemical weapons are one of the greatest national security threats to the world besides nuclear weapons.

I think that he did the congressional authorization decision to stall for time and see if he could get a deal. Luck had nothing to do with this and Kerry’s remark WAS NOT off the cuff or bumbling like that idiot Sullivan kept saying.

52. 127 dotster3
    September 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

chips—like your blob. But—-you may want him checked out by a dr. —or zoologist. He looks like he might really be a bear cub. You would have to add Beary and Grizzly to your short list. And look out for his mama.

53. 130 57andfemale
    September 10, 2013 at 11:58 am
  54. September 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm

OMG, is this actually true? WTH?