Sep

Rise and Shine

Sept. 11, 2010 – Pete Souza: “We were at the Pentagon to mark the ninth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks. After the formal ceremony, the President stopped to shake hands with family members of victims attending the event. Here he is holding hands with a little girl.”

Today (all times Eastern)

8:45 AM: The President, Vice President, First Lady, Dr Jill Biden and White House staff observe a moment of silence to mark the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks

9:30 AM: The President attends a September 11th Observance Ceremony at the Pentagon Memorial

12:30: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

2:0: The President participates in a service project in the Washington, DC Area

White House Live

Sept. 11, 2009: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama gather on the South Lawn of the White House to observe a moment of silence marking the eighth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (Photo by Pete Souza)

USA Today: It’s a day of remembrance for President Obama and the rest of the nation.

A full dozen years after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Biden, and wife Jill Biden gather on the South Lawn of the White House for a moment of silence.

The solemn ceremony is set for the time the first hijacked plane hit the World Trade Center in New York City.

Later in the morning, Obama attends a September 11 Observance Ceremony at the Pentagon … this afternoon, the president participates in a service project, part of the September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance.

More here

USA Today: How the Syria solution developed: The inside story

The idea of coming up with a plan to secure Syria’s chemical weapons dates back more than a year, when President Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin first discussed the matter on the sidelines of an economic summit in Los Cabos, Mexico.

At the time, the two remained far apart in their views on the conflict …. but they seemed to find some common ground on the need to secure Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile, although no agreement was reached.

…. Late last week, days after announcing his desire to carry out a punitive strike on Syria, Obama was in St. Petersburg, Russia, for this year’s meeting of the G-20. There was no plan for Putin and Obama to hold formal discussions, but the two chatted informally at the tail end of the first plenary session.

The two leaders then decided to go into a corner of the room and spoke about Syria for 20 to 30 minutes…. Both leaders repeated their longstanding belief that a political solution was the only reasonable end to a civil war that has killed more than 100,000 Syrians, but they remained at odds about Assad’s role in the process.

They did, however, agree something had to be done about chemical weapons, and Putin again broached the idea about finding a path for an international agreement to remove chemical weapons from Syria, according to official.

Obama agreed it was a path worth exploring, and both leaders agreed that Kerry and Lavrov should follow up…..

More here

Steve Benen: Turning the exceptionalism debate on its ear

For much of President Obama’s first term, when conservatives weren’t questioning President Obama’s citizenship, patriotism, or affinity for capitalism, they complained loudly and frequently about the president’s commitment to “American exceptionalism.”

After last night, the criticisms look pretty silly. Obama has not only embraced the principle, he’s now begun using it as a key part of his rationale in confronting Syria.

…. After years in which Republicans expressed exasperation over the president and his indifference towards exceptionalism — Kathleen Parker, I’m looking in your direction — Obama’s presentation to the nation at times boiled down to a simple proposition: the United States has to act because we’re the United States. It’s what we do. It’s the burden that comes with being a superpower.

We can’t look the other way, the argument goes, because America isn’t just another nation with a flag.

Full post here

Sept. 11, 2011: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet guests at the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks against the United States (Photo by Pete Souza)

Sept. 11, 2011: First Lady Michelle Obama signs a program for children at the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (Photo by Pete Souza)

Sept. 11, 2011 – Pete Souza: “The President greets a woman following a ceremony to commemorate the tenth anniversary of 9/11 at the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, Pa.”

Sept. 11, 2011 – Pete Souza: “Following the ceremony at the Flight 93 National Memorial, the President and First Lady pause as they view the crash site.”

Morning everyone – will follow-up later with more newsie stuff.

137 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

September 11, 2013 at 8:25 am

MICA!!!

2. September 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

Good Morning Chipsticks…TODers…Everyone!!!

September 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the Rise and Shine post Chiparoo. The pictures say everything about the wonderful people who serve the country as President and First Lady.

September 11, 2013 at 8:32 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats amk on #1 :)

Thanks Chips for another fantabulous R & S! :) :)

5. 11 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 8:34 am

6. 12 africa
    September 11, 2013 at 8:36 am

Morning Everybody!

7. 14 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

8. 15 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 8:39 am

9. September 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

September 11, 2001 is a day that changed the lives of many. We will forever remember the lives that were lost on that day as well as the impact on their families, the first responders, the military….the country.

It reminded us then of or vulnerability as a nation. It made the people of this country one in spirit. Patriotism was raised to a new level. As time has passed, that spirit seems to have begun to fade.

As we hold memorials on this day, it is hoped that the the united spirit and patriotism that we once felt will be revived.

• September 11, 2013 at 8:47 am

I wish we could come together. What amazes me is that just after 9/11…Bushes poll numbers were 99%. After President Obama got OBL…his poll numbers went up to 54%. I don’t watch the news anymore…I come here for my sanity. Well, I am off today and have chores to do so I must get off my computer for a while.

Have a great day all.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

I know what you mean Proud. There was a time when I “could” listen to the conservative pundits to get the other viewpoint; to know how the other side was thinking. But the level of hate and venom and bitterness and overt racism made it harder and harder to the point that I can no longer stomach it. And now, the extreme left-wing with their “holier than thou/know it all” attitudes has made venturing to the MSM an occasional reckless adventure.

TOD has also become a primary source for news. I depend on TODers to identify the “safe” places to go for news and/or opinions.

10. 19 africa
    September 11, 2013 at 8:41 am

• 20 Linda
      September 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

“Woke up to Cokie Roberts saying PBO ” should ” have done the speech from the Residence.!

I remember when she stated that ” Hawaii ” was just to “exotic ” for the President and his family to vacation in and that they should have stayed in ” America “.”

—-

I hope our President wore the right color socks or that will be criticized also.

Gawd…I dislike pundits.

September 11, 2013 at 9:00 am

After President Obama finish speaking last night, I turn the tv to a channel were I could not and would not hear any of these pundits talking about what he said and didn’t say. Same thing this morning. I just was not in the mood for it. Not when I know this President is working hard to do what’s right for this country. And all these pundits care about is ratings.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

Linda, Cokie Roberts announced to the world long ago that she’s too trivial and biased to be taken seriously. Better to find anything else in the world to do than listen to her on any subject.

• 23 Sandy1110
        September 11, 2013 at 1:20 pm

And if he had done it from the Residence, they would have slammed it for being too casual.

They’ve gone nuts.

11. 24 symmetry11
    September 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

Morning all

12. 27 JER
    September 11, 2013 at 8:45 am

Live – President Obama, VP Biden, The First Lady, Dr. Biden and White House Staff Observe a Moment of Silence to Mark the 12th Anniversary of the 9/11 Attacks – http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

13. 28 africa
    September 11, 2013 at 8:46 am

14. 29 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 8:48 am

Wow! The image of POTUS, FLOTUS, VPOTUS and SLOTUS standing on the White House lawn in Moment of Silence remembrance of 9/11 is powerful! [watching on AJAM]

September 11, 2013 at 8:50 am

• 34 Dudette
      September 11, 2013 at 8:57 am

You are awesome! Wider angle showing the White House behind them was breathtaking for me!

September 11, 2013 at 9:12 am

Just in case the pundits are seeing this, I am proud of my President. I think the shame out to go to the Congress, the Republicans who played politics with such a serious matter, the cowardly ass Democrats for not standing with this President. After POTUS and FLOTUS leave the White House 2017, I am no longer a Democrat. I will register as a Independent.

16. 41 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 8:57 am

17. 42 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

18. 43 Dudette
    September 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

19. 44 Jovie
    September 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

A smear campaign, smear tactic or simply smear is a metaphor for activity that can harm an individual or group’s reputation by conflation with a stigmatized group.

Sounds like it!

September 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

I hope Sully remembers his own words the next time some MSM Obama-freakout is about to occur.

• 46 Dudette
      September 11, 2013 at 9:13 am

He won’t.

• 47 utaustinliberal
      September 11, 2013 at 9:15 am

Andrew Sullivan is a hypocrite. One minute he’s calling Pres. Obama weak, foolish, pathetic, blah..blah…the next, he’s “praising” him. His writings on race, racism, African-Americans, and other minorities are disgusting and nausea inducing. After he instituted a paywall, he let more of his true colors show. He’s a scumbag.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

He’s a joke UT, I was reluctant to tweet anything about him, but loved the line:

“Yes, he’s still a community organizer. It’s just that now, the community he is so effectively organizing is the world.”

But the guy can’t make up his mind whether to be a racist dick who regularly abuses PBO, or to write honest columns like this.

• 49 utaustinliberal
          September 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

I can’t read anything he writes or give him praise. One minute he’s penning disgusting columns and the next he uses words of praise and everyone nods their heads and gives him credit. I am African-American and the racist vile columns he’s leveled against Pres. Obama and African-Americans in general are disgusting. I read a couple of his articles in 2012 on race and minorities and it was vomit inducing. The view he has of minorities is abhorrent.

• September 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

He makes a good observation now and then. Reminds me in some ways of Pat Buchanan. I always thought when Buchanan was able to put his issues aside he was a pretty sharp eyed political observer. I’ve read Sullivan’s stuff when folks here provided a link. Sometimes I liked it sometimes I could do without it. Truth to tell that’s most of the media for me.

• 52 japa21
      September 11, 2013 at 9:16 am

Sully actually has a lot of respect for PBO. It is just that at times he lets his emotions take control of his brain and forgets why he respects him so much; PBO is always thinking ahead and not stuck in the present or the past.

• 53 utaustinliberal
        September 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

Sully doesn’t have any respect for Pres. Obama or minorities. If you had read his columns on race and African-Americans in 2012, you would realize that. His view of minorities is disgusting. Even more disgusting as he’s a gay man who is considered a form of a minority. One minute he’s leveling racist diatribe at Pres. Obama and the next he writes a few words of “praise” and expects credit. After I read his columns on minorities, I was done. One who holds such a view of people is dangerous.

• 55 africa
      September 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

Naaah. Don’t count on it.

21. September 11, 2013 at 9:13 am

22. 60 globalcitizenlinda
    September 11, 2013 at 9:14 am

23. 61 JER
    September 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

MADE IN AMERICA!

Motorola is custom-assembling 100,000 Moto X Android phones each week in its Texas factory… employs more than 2,000 people… Motorola claims the Moto X is the first smartphone ever to be assembled in the United States. …

24. 62 africa
    September 11, 2013 at 9:19 am

25. 63 kathryn kivett
    September 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

On a day of remembrance of those who lost their lives because of a terrorist attack on our Nation, what does the MSM spend their entire morning doing…….trashing the President Of the UNITED States for efforts to protect the USA from terrorist attacks….I am almost to the point of wishing that PBO would spend the next 3 1/2 yrs. playing golf….I doubt he would be as criticized as much as he is now unless it was counting the number of mosquito bites he gets.

26. 64 japa21
    September 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

Bob Cesca has been one of the most rational writers on the intertubes, whether it be about NSA, Syria, or just about any other issue. This one is one of his best:

What it boils down to is at the end.

At some point soon, I’m looking forward to reading about what exactly happened behind the scenes during the last couple of weeks, especially between Friday and Tuesday night. I believe that those who’ve written off the administration as either bungling idiots or just lucky or both are wrong. I believe that those who say the president is a war-monger with a worse-than-Bush eye on vaporizing Damascus are wrong, too. Indeed, there’s a high-stakes chess match playing out, the details of which we won’t know for a while. But effective foreign relations in the real world are often a cocktail featuring, yes, a little bit of luck, a little bit of saber-rattling and whole lot of careful, thoughtful strategy. This administration has shown a penchant for not knee-jerking into anything. For this, it deserves credit, even if it seems during a random snapshot in time to appear feckless. It’s a messy process and finding another historical instance when every chess move has been flawless is no easy task. Ultimately, it’s the outcome that matters.

27. 68 andogriff
    September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am

Good morning Ms. Chips, good morning everyone! I stayed up very late to hear the speech, and was very glad I did. Turned it off afterwards and was spared the blathering of the pundits!

September 11, 2013 at 9:43 am

Good morning everyone:) That first picture this morning was quite amazing…I’ve never seen this one before. Very touching.
    On another note, either my President thinks about issues the same way I do, or he sneaks peeks at TOD. I spoke about “American Exceptionalism” in my little rant the other day and argued that we can not be an exceptional nation if we only pick and choose the issues that matter to the world. We can not claim that mantle and then find the hard work and responsibility of all that entails, too hard to do. I would argue that we aren’t an exceptional nation, in many ways…but for those that have this mind set, you can not square your idle talk/ lack of action in this case.

29. 71 Claire
    September 11, 2013 at 9:44 am

I am convinced that the KatrinaNation would have bashed Dr. King for having the audacity to march because “riots” could have ensued. There is no pleasing the emoprogs. They disgust me on every level.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:50 am

Ah, she would too Claire, a loathsome creature.

September 11, 2013 at 9:51 am

claire, As I said some of the left wing nuts is getting just as bad as the right wing nuts.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

There’s no pleasing that one anyway. You’re talking about someone who imo is still angry at PBO for beating Hillary in 2008.

• 75 kathryn kivett
      September 11, 2013 at 10:04 am

All the talk is about how the GOP is split and destroying itself……well……it appears to me that the Democratic Party is going through the same thing but more quietly……The extreme left are the vocal ones and the rest are keeping their mouths shut in support of PBO…..what neither seems to understand is that it is running people like me AWAY…..I won’t forget and fully intend to register as Independent….been a registered Dem for 50 yrs….

• September 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m not sure about that. The extreme left is a very small minority. Always has been. Rank and file Democrats who are the supermajority appear to be rock solid behind this President. I just can’t bring myself to leave the Democrat party because some rinky dink online journal called the Nation is mad at the PBO about whatever.

• 77 amk for obama
          September 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

This. The TINA factor aka goopers is awful.

September 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

I agree DerBingle…the extreme “left” (or emo-Libertarian fringe) is being given a much wider platform in the MSM than they actually represent. If you want to know where the typical mainstream “Democrat” is with respect to PBO on a given issue at a given point in time, simply check Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s or Nancy Pelosi’s Twitter TL. You will immediately see the difference – (1) no snarky/nasty comments about PBO, (2) no sky-is-falling emoprog shrieking repeating MSM narratives, (3) direct opposition to GOP and their policies, (4) only or mostly positive comments about initiatives that PBO has implemented or supports – e.g.., Obamacare, immigration reform, voting rights, etc.

That is the mainstream Dem party the media does not want you to see – but they are there and they are a HUGE and rock-solid coalition.

Chris Hayes, Van Jones, Michael Moore, Charles rangel, Maddow, Ezra Klein are being advertised as the voices of the Democratic party, but nothing could be further from the truth.

• September 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

Dis here. Remember last year the media telling s how disillusioned they were with PBO? Doing everything in their power to depress the election turnout.

Guess what? It didn’t work because the Rank and File base could care less what these people spout. Romney got crushed and no matter how much they would love to take a bow emos had nothing to do with it. Their claim to fame is running out ahead of a parade and then trying to convince everybody the whole thing was their idea.

• 80 jziglar
          September 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

Exactly ! Many of them are not even registered democrats, and many of them attacked Al Gore and voted for Nader.

The democratic party is not going through the same thing the republican party is going through.

• 81 kathryn kivett
        September 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Well, I’m sorry, maybe it’s b/c I am from NC and feel stung by Dems in 2010 and the repercussions of that fiasco….First term they were PO with PBO b/c of Hillary Clinton and second term they are more concerned with their reelection and election of Hillary Clinton……and where are the Clintonites?…..on tv bashing PBO…..sick of it….

• 82 Puddin'
          September 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

kathryn kivett, I agree with you 100%…I will not give Dems a pass (just because I have been voting with the party all my voting life) for what they are doing…with friends like some of these Dems, who needs the Repubs. I am disgusted by them more and more, with all of them, elected officials and all.

September 11, 2013 at 9:52 am

September 11, 2013 at 10:07 am

Harry Dean Canady will learn next month whether he’ll spend the rest of his life in prison for cheating taxpayers of more than $1 million and threatening to kill the U.S. agents who brought him to justice.
    A convicted felon with an alcohol-fueled temper, Canady, 64, pleaded guilty in December to defrauding the federal crop insurance system and is behind bars pending sentencing.

His thieving was just a sliver of the largest fraud in the program’s 75-year history, a case that so far has ensnared 41 North Carolina tobacco farmers, insurance agents and claims adjusters whose law breaking cost taxpayers close to $100 million, federal prosecutors say.
    “The system has checks and balances in place,” says Banu Rangarajan, 45, the assistant U.S. attorney who led the prosecution. “The problem is all the checks and balances here were involved in the fraud. The adjusters were paid off. The agents were paid off. Everybody was paid off.”
    The continuing investigation comes as Congress — despite tight federal budgets — is poised to expand crop insurance, inviting new scrutiny to a system that subsidizes farmers and private insurance companies such as Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC) and Ace Ltd. (ACE) Elements of the corruption in eastern North Carolina’s tobacco belt went undetected for more than a decade, raising questions about oversight of the nation’s most expensive farm initiative.

But allowing America’s poor, food….is AWFUL! SNAP should be gone! Fraud! They certainly know how to avert some eyes from who’s rEALLY stealing from taxpayers, don’t they?

September 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

33. 86 Ladyhawke
    September 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

What the facts tell us about President Obama’s approach to foreign policy

By SMARTYPANTS

———————————–

On Syria, lets remember that for almost 2 years now President Obama has been fighting off the hawks – even in his own administration (yes, that includes Hillary Clinton) – to avoid getting involved because, as the President said last night: “we cannot resolve someone else’s civil war through force.” That one piece of information alone should make the idiots claiming he’s a warmonger STFU.

Now we learn that the proposed diplomatic solution that some people suggest simply dropped out of the sky a few days ago is something the Obama administration has been proposing to the Russians for almost a year now (even before the Assad regime used chemical weapons on August 21st). For those who insist on trying to be mind readers to get at the President’s real motives rather than just take him at his word – this indicates that his main concern has always been about Assad’s chemical weapons.

———————————–

34. 87 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 10:28 am

Huh. Why would Keith Ellison block me at Twitter? I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one of his tweets. Strange.

• 88 donna dem 4 obama
      September 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

One day someone was having a back and forth with someone on twitter. They wanted me to be made aware of this so they added my twitter address to the conversation. It apparently got a little heated and the person blocked both of us. I was an innocent by stander in the whole ordeal. I’m not sure if this is what happened to you but it has happened to me on more than one occasion. This IMO is one of the imperfections of twitter.

• September 11, 2013 at 10:45 am

Donna, I saw that happening too with Goldie Taylor the other day, she blocked at least one person who was included in a ‘heated’ exchange, but actually hadn’t said anything offensive to her. And now Goldie has unfollowed me because, I’m guessing, I RT that blocked person a lot?? Crikey, it’s like a schoolyard sometimes!!

September 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

I have been blocked by AngryBlackLady and to this day, I have no idea why. I believe it’s one of those cases. I’ve also noticed that Twitter “blocks” followers (or non-followers) if I accidentally press the wrong button or combination of buttons on my keyboard (I am yet to figure out which button or combination of buttons does that) but I have occasionally received a pop-up from Twitter saying “you have unblocked so-and-so,” when I never blocked them.

• 92 57andfemale
        September 11, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks, donna. I couldn’t figure it out.

35. 93 japa21
    September 11, 2013 at 10:30 am

36. 94 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 10:34 am

• 95 Vicki
      September 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

This should be a bigger story. We lost 2 pro gun legislation people. NY papers are spinning it as a loss for Bloomberg. Misssing the point entirely that the entire country is losing when only 17.5% of the Democrats can be bothered to vote. Thank you to 57 for highlighting this issue.

• 96 57andfemale
        September 11, 2013 at 11:18 am

We cede our power to the loons. It’s despicable and it’s the fault of lazy Dem’s. I don’t care if we have facts. Facts don’t vote. CO was especially egregious, and it’s because Republicans always vote and Dem’s don’t.

37. 98 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

38. September 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

39. 100 donna dem 4 obama
    September 11, 2013 at 10:49 am

From all that I’ve read this morning it has become apparent to me that the cable media had their own prejudged opinion on the President’s speech last night. They already knew how they wanted to respond to it so they decided that it was not going to be enough for them long before PBO got to the podium. Unfortunately for them but great for our Nation, PBO had moved the needle in his favor by the time the speech was over. Well cable apparently wasn’t prepared for that so they continued with their bash fest. CNN does a snap poll and voila they end up with egg on their faces.

I HATE OUR MEDIA!!!!

40. 101 Nena20409
    September 11, 2013 at 10:49 am

GM TODers.

9-11-13.

What a beautiful Tribute, indeed. Thank you Chips.

September 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

I just mentioned Van Jones upthread as an example of an anti-Obama hater given extensive platform in MSM….and here is an example of why I used him. This man has sunk to a new low….

42. 119 Claire
    September 11, 2013 at 10:53 am

People need to understand that while bullets and bombs can be contained within borders, chemical weapons do not know borders. Air born chemicals are invisible, travel, and borderless. Our military personnel and millions of innocents are at risk with chemical weapons. This is why we have international laws against the use of them.

I am tired of reading that people were being killed in Syria already. That is not the point, the POTUS is trying to make people understand the danger of allowing dictators to use CW without penalty.

I need to stop reading some of the crazy pundits because they have bricks for brains.

September 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

44. 123 dotster3
    September 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

Complicated problems related to chemical disarmament in Syria

September 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

The big comfort about having Barack Obama in the White House as our President is that, figuratively, he’s always holding on to the hands of our little children, guiding our country through rough waters for us and them, keeping America safe. Thank you, Mr. President. Those of us alive to see this will never forget it.

46. 125 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 11:10 am

• 126 Ladyhawke
      September 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

THE BENGHAZI CHRONICLES (An amazing compilation of FOX lies, distortions and manufactured controversies.)

Explainer: A Year Of Benghazi Myths

BY MATT GERTZ

———————–

Over the past year, conservative media figures and activists, led by Fox News, have repeatedly created and promoted lies, smears, and conspiracies related to the Benghazi attack. While the attack raised meaningful questions about how we can best protect U.S. diplomats in dangerous environments, the right has instead sought to use what happened in Benghazi and in the days that followed to bring down President Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and other members of the administration.

Much of the criticism has revolved around two lines of attack: That the Obama administration downplayed the role that terrorists played in the attack, and that the administration held back additional U.S. military forces that could have been used to save lives. In reality, President Obama referred to the attack as an “act of terror” during his September 12 Rose Garden speech, and U.S. officials have made clear that all available and appropriate forces were sent as quickly as possible. As former diplomatic security agent Fred Burton and journalist Samuel M. Katz wrote in their book Under Fire:

—————————-

47. 127 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 11:11 am

48. 129 57andfemale
    September 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

49. 131 June Cleaver 2.0
    September 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Could someone give me a link to Katrina Venden Huevel’s article where she is so thrilled to see what she thinks is her president’s humiliation? I just need to read her words myself. I already don’t like Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow anymore. Sorry, I just tolerate them now. That extreme left bunch makes me sick.

September 11, 2013 at 11:24 am

I tried to be respectful of the innocent victims of 9-11-01, and watched about an hour of NBC’s replay of that tragic morning. Of course, we all mourn the loss of life and should keep them in our hearts.

But then I realized all of my thoughts were not remaining steady with the victims, but with the awful acts of the terrorists and the repugnant way Bush and Co. handled everything in the years following.

A couple of years ago, if I’m not mistaken, I think I looked back to see how long we “commemorated” Pearl Harbor. I don’t think we did anything like we are doing today for each annual marking of 9-11. I think that was mostly because our country was fixated then not only on WWII but also on working together within our borders to support the mechanisms of war, our troops, and to keep our families and economy going – while our service members were in combat. We were, I think, more of a united country with a common purpose, although never the same as we were pre-Pearl Harbor.

I believe we should continue the appropriate ceremonies at the target areas in NYC, Pennsylvania, and the Pentagon, and remember the victims and their families, in a respectful way.

After that, perhaps – I’m really not sure – but perhaps we need to stop reminding ourselves and the world of the fact that we were idle targets of a relatively small band of terrorists with the aim of taking us down, and a stupid man in the White House who caused great harm for years following 9-11-01.

The only “good thing” about this anniversary this year may be that it reminds people within our borders what it feels like to be killed in our planes and our workplaces and on our streets, so the isolationists can perhaps be forced to see Syria and its CW as a situation that cannot stand.

• 134 Puddin'
      September 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

jacquelineoboomer, I thought the same thing this morning, so after the President spoke I refused to watch anything else. MSNBC had the nerve to show/relive the entire tragedy…how sad on their part.

September 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi – Yes, MSNBC does that every year, since they’re so “proud” of their coverage. Way too sad for me, just for ratings or whatever their motivations are.

51. 136 Linda
    September 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

More Benghazi hearings coming.

The leaders of an independent review board that investigated last year’s deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, will testify at a House hearing next week.

Retired Adm. Mike Mullen and former Ambassador Thomas Pickering will appear before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on Sept. 19.

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa of California announced the hearing in a statement Wednesday, the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

I hope this is an open hearing because Issa refused to allow Pickering to testify where we could watch last time.

RSS OFA