Sep

‘If Obamacare goes away, I’m in a world of hurt’

WTHR: …. Chelsea Wheeler takes nine different medications every day. Pointing to two bottles, she said, “For these alone, it would easily be $3,000 a month.” … she lives with chronic kidney disease …. “When I got sick, I was 13 and it was kidney failure.”

….. Her biggest concern now? Repeal of the Affordable Health Care Act …..

“….. if that goes away, then I’m in a world of hurt, literally”…..

While Chelsea has a good job, because she’s a contract employee she’s not eligible for insurance through the company. With the new law she can continue on her parents’ plan until she turns 26. It pays for all her meds, including those very expensive anti-rejection drugs.

…. “My entire life is based on getting medical care and without the Affordable Health Care Act I would not be able to do it,” she said. “I’d be drowning in debt trying to pay by myself ….. it’s a lifesaver.”

Full post here

Learn more here

This is the link to the video – spread far and wide!

111 Responses to “‘If Obamacare goes away, I’m in a world of hurt’”

1. 1 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

First?

2. 4 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

And Ms. Chips, thank you for the proper use of ‘its’ in your tweet. Drives me NUTS.

3. September 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Off topic and with permission, this is the text of a post on Al Giordano’s Facebook today:
    Al Giordano
    Yesterday a friend posted a New York Times story on this wall. I deleted it and wrote her to explain why. I take a back seat to no one when it comes to being informed about current events. And I am out to prove that one can do that without reading any newspaper (certainly not that one) every day, without watching or listening to any TV or radio news program regularly. It’s garbage product, *all* of it, including much of what postures as somehow radical or alternative. How do I keep abreast of what happens in this world? I simply pay attention to what my diverse and international friends and colleagues are talking about in various languages, and if I want more info, I ask questions of eyewitnesses and search engines provide plenty that commercial and state-owned media do not. My personal guideline for this wall is that New York Times links are quickly deleted (I don’t click them or read them except maybe once or twice a year when I see a train wreck in its “journalism”) because it is the absolute worst being held up still by some dinosaurs as the gold standard for the effete. Part if its mission is to generate snobbery. I also do not suffer links to HuffPo or Alternet on this wall, nor do I click them, because those pathetic bottom-feeders traffic in being “alternative” but in fact are scabs, abusive of labor, and I don’t cross picket lines ever. For those who cross that line, sorry I never read your work. (Well, not so sorry, which is the point of this public service announcement.)

4. 12 MightyPamela
    September 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I know exactly what she means! Hey, y’all.. This will surely be one of those days I am waving from well behind you, so turn occasionally to wave back, y’hear??! Hugs all around!

5. 19 Gazelle
    September 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm

[OT, who's getting the popcorn! :) ]:

“Vitter, a Louisiana Republican, has infuriated Democrats this week by commandeering the Senate floor, demanding a vote on his amendment repealing federal contributions to help pay for lawmakers’ health care coverage.”

“But Democratic senators are preparing a legislative response targeting a sordid Vitter episode. If Vitter continues to insist on a vote on his proposal, Democrats could counter with one of their own: Lawmakers will be denied those government contributions if there is ‘probable cause’ they solicited prostitutes.”

[Bring it to Diaperman! Eeeew!]

6. 21 anniebella
    September 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Just finish lunch and had a glass of water, instead of usual ice tea.

7. 24 GGAIL
    September 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.
    My Vietnamese manicurist are very, very happy with what I showed them. They were even able to chose their language!

• 25 Layla
      September 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

What did you show them

• 26 GGail
        September 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I went online with them at the shop to our California Exchange, CoveredCa. In addition to being able to chose your plan, you can do so in the language of your choosing. Of course they chose Vietnamese, and I couldn’t understand a word! They had to translate so I could explain! It was a lot of fun for them and I enjoyed doing my community service and got my hands and feet hooked up :-)

8. September 13, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I’m still jealous of you, Chips. Have slaved hours away trying to convert to Youtube :( ……… Thanks for highlighting the local news story from here in Indianapolis. I don’t know if this is the case, but OFA has been running these ads, on different broadcasts, for over two months. W/ Mike Pence Gov. they are doing an end-run trying to get people to early enroll, and cut through the misinformation.

9. September 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

So, in a completely off topic comment, I’m thinking of buying a keyboard from eBay and learning to play piano. It’s been one of my greatest regrets that I never learned an instrument, as much as I love music.

10. 36 Gazelle
    September 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

[LOL! :) ]:

Apparently, there really is a God. And He is good. And He is generous. And He has a fucking awesome sense of humor. Witness:

Best-selling creationist/ evangelist/ anti-gay-marriage-ist Ray Comfort knows how to regulate a Facebook page, and he will not have anyone calling Christians “bibliophiles” on it. Jews, Muslims, Atheists — they can love books, but not Christians, dammit. [.....]

[.....] Comfort then explained that he thought a “bibliophile” was a “cross between pedophile and Bible.” Which, to be fair, does sound like the most terrifying thing ever.

More here: http://www.thedailydolt.com/2013/04/03/if-you-call-any-other-christian-on-this-page-a-bibliophile-i-will-ban-you/

11. September 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Something which escaped the “news” in the US: The four adult defendants in the New Dehli rape case have been sentenced to death.

September 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Whoa.

• 40 57andfemale
      September 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm

And man, the U.S. media is doing a damned good job of keeping it a secret that the U.N. report is confirming CW attack in Syria and is pointing the finger at Assad. Wouldn’t want that to become news or anything.

But the report is not yet ‘confirmed’, I’m sure they would say. Like all the stuff they think PBO is thinking and all the stuff they report from their unnamed sources.

God.

September 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I freaking love this law.

• 42 57andfemale
      September 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm

It’s going to help a lot of people. Me being one of them. I wish Illinois would post its information already. I’m also looking into a small business co-op but the fees for the small business advocacy group might make it not worth it. I just like the idea of cutting out the insurance company middleman if I can and seeing a low overhead for medical costs.

More Americans, even those who are currently employed, should understand what a relief of a burden it is to have this law. Let’s say I sign up for the co-op and don’t like it. I can then go back on the Exchange during an enrollment period and change, regardless of my asthma and high blood pressure and arthritis. That by itself takes away a ton of stress.

RWNJ accountant says I should easily qualify for subsidies, but that’s only because of the way we look on paper since we’re a small business. I don’t mind subsidies going to people who need it more than I do.

• 43 japa21
        September 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm

IIRC, it is due to something in the state laws that prohibits them from announcing the rates before they are actually able to be put in place, which is 10/1.

• 44 57andfemale
          September 13, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Oh! I didn’t know that. Thanks

I’m wondering then if the ‘facts’ from my RWNJ accountant that there are only two insurance companies in the IL exchange is actually true. But then again, she’s a RWNJ.

13. September 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

What many people aren’t aware of is that the same munitions are linked to at least one previous chemical attack. Earlier on August 5th, two areas of Damascus, Douma and Adra, were hit by an alleged chemical attack, with around 400 victims reported injured in Douma, and at least a couple of dozen in Adra. I’ve collected videos from the attack here, and the following video with English subtitles has one of the victims explaining what happen in Adra

If the UN report does point towards these munitions being used to deliver the chemical agent, then it seems to strongly suggest the August 5th attack was also a chemical attack using the same type of munition, and might put previous alleged chemical attacks in the Damascus area in a new light.

• September 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I’ll expect another Putin op-ed detailing that the UN doesn’t believe that we’re all created equal.

• 47 57andfemale
        September 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm

FREEDUM(B)!!!!!

• September 13, 2013 at 2:54 pm

LOL….. How have you been LL? Wifey in good health? I peeked in on your blog last week, and saw you haven’t updated your book postings since May I think. Has it been submitted……..or still a work in progress :)

• September 13, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hey LP.

Wifey is doing splendidly.

And no, I haven’t updated the blog. I’m not posting the book on there because I realized that publishers might not like that. Still working on the revisions, which are coming along great. Still have to decide whether to go the self-publishing route or do the publishing game. I do have the whiff of the elitist in me, so I’d love to see my book on a bookshelf in my local indie bookstore. So I’m going to try the trad publishing route first. But I do need to update the blog with non-political essays and book reviews and such.

• September 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Good to hear. Best of luck whichever route you chose! Maybe go the publishing route (use their resources) and then inbetween Hard/Paperback… release an E-book version. All contingent presuming that abides by your contractual obligations.

September 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm
  15. September 13, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks to GOP legislators in VA, and Gov. McDonnell, this man is on his own.

• September 13, 2013 at 2:54 pm

LP, that man had better vote for Terry McAuliffe this November if he wants help. Continue to vote Republican and you get treated like dirt. Vote a Democrat and you’re treated fairly.

• 54 Don
      September 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

You have no idea how many times governor McDonnell has been on “Morning Joe” railing against President Obama, and now this guy is one indictment away from going to the big house. Finally that shit eating grin will be wiped off of his face for a very long time.

16. 55 Allison
    September 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm
  17. 59 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm

A great post. Contribute your ideas.

18. 60 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  19. September 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Good news on the 2014 Senatorial front: Philly mayor Micheal Nutter is taking on P. Toomey most likely, and in WV (Replacing Rockefeller)

• September 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm

LP, I don’t think Nutter running is especially good news. I want Kathleen Kane PA’s AG to run against Toomey. She’s a proven state-wide voter getter. Nutter has only run in Phillie.

• September 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I think this is just preliminary, but I’m looking forward to Allison Schwartz, becoming the PA Gov. :) I also wish Patrick Murphy would run for office again…….. but Kathleen Kane beat him in the Dem primary for AG. He was the main architect getting DADT passed through the House, and lost his seat b/c of that.

20. 64 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm

This is seriously hilarious. You have to go to the link to fully fathom what Republicans are capable of:

21. 68 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  22. 71 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hubby heard on an AJAM report that 46% of all murders in the U.S. take place in 13 red states. One of the purported reasons: men blowing away their spouses as a show of honor, I suspect because they were cheating or suspected of cheating. Hubby was fuzzy on those details, but he was sure of the statistic.

Then you can understand why RWNJ’s love Putin and Assad. That is truly their vision of America.

23. 72 Kyle
    September 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I hope ya’ll have a great weekend, that video is touching and there will be a lot more stories like hers i’m sure. I like to poke a few of my more conservative FB friends, so the other day i posted about how since jobs are growing, the deficit is shrinking, obamacare is working and the disarming of a ME madman, that it was no wonder the media has lost it. I think they are beginning to see the writing on the wall here. hopefully anyways!

• 73 theo67
      September 13, 2013 at 6:01 pm

When one of my less informed friends pipes up about how the economy is finally starting to show signs of growth, I let them know that the recession officially ended and true economic indicators started to improve as soon as the stimulus hit the streets – i.e. years ago. Manufacturing, trade, inventory stocks, commodities, housing and jobs have been improving for quite a while. Not to mention, health care costs and the deficit diminishing steadily.

24. 74 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I just received this post on FB from Bill Moyers. What follows is my response:

“Dovish Republicans like Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) are turning away from the neoconservative wing of the party, and they’re gaining support.”

They’re not ‘doves’. They’re isolationists. Bill Moyers should be able to make that distinction. If, god forbid, he became President he would not lift a finger to end atrocities around the world or offer meaningful solutions. He would wash his hands of anything that didn’t immediately concern him. Also, he would have his own way of ‘gassing’ his own people through the destruction of SS, Medicare, voting rights, fair employment, safety net. He would leave in his wake as many dead and suffering as Assad. This is a disturbing trend amongst the left – embracing a heartless idiot like Rand Paul and elevating them as if they were Gandhi. Shame on you, Bill, for such a lack of intellectual honesty.

25. 77 Nena20409
    September 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm

“The president and I, he’s in his last term, I’m probably in mine, the relationship we have had over the past three years is quite good. Quite good,” McCain told the Obama supporters.

The comment prompted the reporter to ask McCain, who will be up for re-election in 2016, if his current term is indeed his last.

26. 83 Nena20409
    September 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm

So David “diaper” Vitter has now written a letter to have Reid and Boxer investigated by the Ethics Committee for Bribery?

Excuse me?

From The Letter:

//////

In response to my proposal and call for a vote on my amendment to reverse the Office of Personnel Management’s Congressional exemption from the Affordable Care Act, Senator Reid and Boxer have apparently lead an effort to employ political scare tactics, personal attacks, and threats that would affect each Senator’s personal finances (i.e. bribery). News reports indicate that one of these proposals would prohibit the employer contribution to any “Member of Congress who has offered an amendment in the House of Representatives or the Senate that would prohibit such contributions on behalf of other individuals, or who has voted for the adoption of such an amendment.” Such an arrangement, whereby the Senate Majority Leader and the Chair of this Committee are threatening to take away their colleagues’ healthcare coverage subsidy if they do not vote a certain way, at worst constitutes bribery and a quid pro quo arrangement, and at best amounts to improper conduct reflecting discreditably on the Senate.

• 84 carolyn
      September 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Okay…..did he write that himself? Did no one proofread it? The past tense of “lead” is “led”…..”discreditably” is a made up word. That entire last sentence is poorly constructed, and should be restructured into two good sentences, he does not have to use a made up word like “discreditably.” This was obviously a first draft which never should have been sent out of the office!!!
      The letter itself does not speak well for either Vitter or his staff, but does reinforce my opinion of him.

• 85 Nena20409
        September 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

He is a Harvard Law graduate. My guess, his aid wrote it.

• 86 carolyn
          September 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Yes, Ted Cruz is a Harvard Law Graduate, and GWB is a Harvard MBC graduate…..I’m not impressed, I’m afraid. If it goes out over his name it’s his, no matter who wrote it. I worked in a Senator’s office, anything with the Senator’s name is the Senator’s responsibility. That writing is a piece of trash.

27. 87 Gazelle
    September 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Sorry if this has been posted on other threads before:

28. 88 Gazelle
    September 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

From the Department of Education: The Obama Administration announced today the new leadership team for the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Joining the HBCU Initiative as Executive Director is Dr. George Cooper with Dr. Ivory Toldson serving as the Deputy Director.

As part of the leadership team for the White House Initiative on HBCUs, both Cooper and Toldson will work with the presidentially appointed HBCU Board of Advisors and assist Secretary Arne Duncan as a liaison between the executive branch and HBCUs across the country. Cooper and Toldson will serve as the constant voice of the HBCU community at the Department of Education and help to shape policy and deploy resources to better serve the students, faculty and families of the greater HBCU community. They will also work with 32 federal agencies that support HBCUs through federal grants and contracts.

29. 89 Gazelle
    September 13, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Adrian Saenz, who in the 2012 election cycle served as the National Latino Vote Director for the Obama-Biden re-election campaign, has been become the Deputy Director of Intergovernmental Affairs at the White House. His appointment was announced yesterday.

30. 93 57andfemale
    September 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Is it just me, or is this truly the longest last hour of the work week in history?

31. 97 Ladyhawke
    September 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Revenge is a dish best served coherent

By Steve Benen

————————————-

The Hill published a curious piece this morning with a provocative headline, “Putin gets his revenge on Obama.”
    Let’s take stock of what happened this week: (1) the United States threatened Syria, a Russian ally, over its use of chemical weapons; (2) Syria then vowed to give up its chemical weapons; and (3) Russia has committed itself to the diplomatic process the United States wants, which is intended to guarantee the success of the Syrian disarmament plan.

So, Obama, at least for now, ended up with what he wanted, which was then followed with more of what he wanted. If this is Putin exacting revenge, I suspect the White House doesn’t mind.

——————————————-

32. 98 Bill R.
    September 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm

If not for Obamacare my 60 year old sister-in-law would not have health care coverage unit she reached Medicare age because she is a cancer survivor.

33. 105 Bill R.
    September 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I sometimes watch RAI, the Italian Broadcasting System, just to keep up with my Italian language skills. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday evening when they interviewed Bill DeBlasio, and he responded to some of the questions in Italian, with convincing accent, I might add. Great goodwill ambassador. They also had a segment on the newly appointed by PBO as ambassador to Italy, John Phillips, who is also quite fluent in Italian. Nice to see that.

34. 107 Bill R.
    September 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This coming Thurs. I will participate in the training to become a state certified enrollment assistant for ‘Cover Oregon” the state health care exchange and portal to Obamacare. I am particularly interested in being a bridge for homeless and low income people to register for the expanded Medicaid program here in Oregon called the Oregon Health Plan. I will probably be doing that through my church, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, that is planning to become a Community Partner with Cover Oregon.

September 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Bloomy is gloomy folks.

HEADLINE: Bloomberg: I Won’t Endorse NYC Mayoral Candidate

// Michael Bloomberg said Friday he won’t endorse a candidate for New York City mayor, keeping his power and his wallet on the sidelines of the hotly contested race to succeed him.

That’s a blow to Republican nominee Joe Lhota, an admirer of Bloomberg’s policies who wanted his backing in hopes of thwarting the rise of the mayor’s frequent antagonist, Democratic front-runner Bill de Blasio. “I don’t want to do anything that complicates it for the next mayor and that’s one of the reasons I won’t make an endorsement in the race,” Bloomberg said during his weekly appearance on John Gambling’s show on WOR Radio.

“I’ll leave campaigning to the campaigners,” the billionaire mayor said. “But whoever the voters elect, I want to make sure that person succeeds.”
    A top Bloomberg aide confirmed on Twitter after the show that the mayor would not endorse anyone before the Nov. 5 general election. //

September 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hay Bloomberg is a bitter old rich bastard. That Democrat guy de Blasio doesn’t need his endorsement, if Bloomberg were to endorse de Blasio some blacks might not vote for him because of Bloomberg. So it’s good that he is not endorsing de Blasio.