Sep

The President Tours The Ford Stamping Plant

hOsQj.St.81

President Barack Obama arrives on Air Force One at Kansas International Airport with Sen. Claire McCaskill and Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

7s2M5.St.81

Governor  Jay Nixon (D) greets President Obama

6ZJyN.St.81

President Obama meets with the greeting party

2013-09-20T181238Z_768820470_GM1E99L062001_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama touches a Ford truck while on a tour of the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant Liberty in Liberty, Missouri

2013-09-20T184931Z_394928145_GM1E99L07RS01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama tours the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant Liberty

irVlq.St.81

President Obama delivers a speech on the economy

2013-09-20T181336Z_560742781_GM1E99L064301_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

Supporters watch President Barack Obama speak at the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant Liberty

RyQAO.St.81

A crowd listens as President Obama emphasizes the importance of raising the debt ceiling to allow the government to pay its bills

1heiw.St.81

President Obama is mobbed by enthusiastic Ford employees while in a Ford F-150

1879779fc288f31f3d0f6a7067001fbc

President Barack Obama gestures as he speaks to workers at the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant in Liberty, MO.,

Washington Post: Republicans ‘Trying To Mess With Me,’ Obama Tells Crowd At Missouri Auto Plant

With Washington facing a potential government shutdown, President Obama traveled to the heartland Friday and delivered a combative rebuke of congressional Republicans for “trying to mess with me” instead of governing responsibly. Obama railed at length against Republican lawmakers, whom he accused of “holding the economy hostage” by threatening not to fund the government and not to raise the government’s debt limit. “Unfortunately right now, the debate going on in Congress is not meeting the test of helping middle class families,” Obama said. “They’re not focused on you. They’re focused on politics. They’re focused on trying to mess with me. They’re not focused on you.”

Obama spoke a couple of hours after the House passed a short-term budget bill that would pay for government operations through mid-December but withhold funding for Obama’s signature health-care law. “We bet on the American worker – we bet on you – and today that bet has paid off,” Obama said as he addressed roughly 1,000 Ford employees and other guests. “America’s auto industry has come roaring back.” Obama toured the cavernous facility, where huge machines were humming, pressing sheets of metal into hoods and doors for F-150 trucks. The plant is growing significantly, from 2,500 workers in May to an expected 4,500 next year, according to statistics provided by the White House.

More here

ZGklF.St.81

President Obama delivers a speech on the economy at the Ford Stamping Plant

2013-09-20T180916Z_37359327_GM1E99L05PO01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama tours the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant Liberty

a23eb560c266f21f3d0f6a7067004cd8

1uTWyl.St.81

President Obama takes a picture with a young child

1mjdbj.St.81

President Obama greets an excited crowd after his speech

dWSru.St.81

President Obama greets members of a crowd that listened to his speech on the economy

2eDKu.St.81

President Obama poses for a picture with employees of the Ford Stamping Plant in Liberty

114 Responses to “The President Tours The Ford Stamping Plant”

1. September 20, 2013 at 6:03 pm

He’s back. Love our President.

2. 2 Judith Fardig
    September 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yay Jackie!

September 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jackie & Judith!

September 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I LOVE my President! Congrats Jackie on #1 :)

5. 12 Judith Fardig
    September 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Back at you, VC! How horrible that two so-called Democrats voted with the House Teahadists today! Here’s my tweet about that to Nancy Pelosi:

• 13 kathryn kivett
      September 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Please help me find an email address for Mike McIntyre….I don’t live in his district but live in NC and his form for only people that live in his district….If I call his office I am afraid I will lose my cool and use really ugly language I am so PO…..

• 14 Judith Fardig
        September 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Since he won’t accept email from non-constituents, can you send him a FAX? His FAX number is 1-202-225-5773

September 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm

kathryn, use the congressman address. Address : 497 Olde Waterford Way, Leland N.C. 28451 Use this and it will get you to that dam coward Mcintrye . Let me know if it work.

• 16 kathryn kivett
        September 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone….I’ll just sit down and actually write a letter…..I have relatives and friends that live in his district and I have been going on vacation to Brunswick Co. for 35 yrs…..beautiful coastal area of NC….but NO MORE….I will never spend one penny in his district again…..no beach rentals, no food, no eating out, no souvenirs, no gas, and various other expenses not going to be spent in that coastal area by 8 people of my family….and if every other Dem/Progressive that goes to Wilmington, NC area did the same, maybe he would get the message….we can’t vote against him but by crack it, if anyone primaries him, I’ll donate what I might have spent to whoever….Just want him to know that.

September 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm

The two ladies at the front let it be known to man and beast alike that they are unapologetic O’bots!!!

7. September 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Tom and Lorenzo have a post up on Idris Elba in GQ. They asked for people to give them their best sell for why they should watch Luther.

Here is the thread: http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/09/idris-elba-for-gq-magazine.html

And here is a bit of my sell of Luther, it went long and I haven’t posted a post on my blog since the Zimmerman verdict, so I decided to post the full recommendation there.

1) Idris Elba and all 6 ft…whatever of him, lumbering around, with these long as strides and broad shoulders. It’s been said that Idirs Elba’s “swagger” as Luther alone is enough to recommend the show. Plus you get to hear Idris in his natural accent and I tell ya, that man has one of the more deep and masculine British London accents you will ever love to hear (I love my Brit-boys, but man some of them do NOT have the deepest voices ever, i.e. Dave Beckham. Love to look at him, but man I hate it when he speaks…lol)

My Blog Post: Luther: It’s Worth It For More Than Just Idris Elba (but Idris Elba is a BIG PART!!!)

8. 26 Elly in Maryland
    September 20, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Native Michigander talking here – My niece’s husband worked on developing that truck for Ford. My niece and nephew work for GM and my sisters are married to GM retirees. So when President Obama took a gamble on the American auto industry, I was thrilled. Just thinking about it makes me teary-eyed. And reminds me that I want to read the book written by Steven Rattner who oversaw the whole thing.

• September 20, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Wonderful for your family. I will never forget how PBO took that bold step without much support and just stood up for workers and their families, unequivocally. Bold and CORRECT.

September 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I haven’t read either yet.

Why Iran is ready for a deal

Why Bibi is not happy?

• September 20, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Yet another self-absorbed drama for PBO to manage. GEEZE.

September 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Fortunatley for us, as Zizi pointed out last night, PBO works well under pressure. May I admit that I don’t like Bibi Netanyahu? I do NOT like him, a feeling that mushroomed when he had the nerve to come to the US Congress while PBO was out of the country and bad mouth the Pres.

• 34 99ts
      September 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I think they are all ready for a deal – because they know the current US President prefers negotiating to shooting – most folks aren’t as stupid as the GOP in congress.

10. 38 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Syria And The Beltway Media Crackup

By ERIC BOEHLERT

—————————————————————

The Syria coverage represents a clear case of the press adopting style over substance, as well as channeling Republican spin. Of treating foreign policy as if it were a domestic political campaign and insisting that a story unfolding half-a-world away was really all about Obama and how it affected (and/or damaged) his political fortunes. It was also coverage that often lacked nuance and context, and that refused to allow diplomatic events unfold without minute-by-minute surveys of the domestic winners and losers.
    What’s been telling is how the media taunts from the Beltway’s mainstream have often been just as loud as the condemnations from Fox News. Indeed, it’s been the established, elite media voices that have expressed unvarnished disdain for the potentially peaceful resolution in Syria:

————————————————————————

• 39 nathkatun7
      September 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Let’s be honest, the so called mainstream media (MSM) have mopped into a GOP propaganda machine. Practically all their attacks on President Obama are based on GOP talking points. I think we should stop calling them the mainstream media, and instead start calling them the VOICE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

11. 43 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm

‘This is about political cash, not political principle’

By Steve Benen

———————————-

Why would Republican groups invest so much energy and resources into attacking conservative Republicans? Why would these far-right organizations push a strategy that would undermine their allies’ political standing and put the House GOP majority at risk? Why would the groups pretend to be hair-on-fire apoplectic about a moderate health care reform law based on bipartisan provisions?

Because it puts money in their pockets, that’s why.

————————————

• 44 pkayden
      September 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

But will their constituents get a clue and vote them out? I hope in 2014, Nancy Pelosi retakes her position as Speaker of the House. Perhaps all this Repub foolishness will lead to just that.

12. 45 dotster3
    September 20, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I loved President Obama’s appearance today at the Ford plant. He’s always supremely appealing but even more so at these type of appearances. I noticed a huge enthusiastic response from the workers there. Speaking about the putrid antics of the putrid Repubs, PBO said, “They are not focused on you. They’re focused on politics. They’re focused on trying to mess with me. But they’re not focused on you.” Amen, and the crowd agreed with a loud response. People know what’s going on, and they’re in disbelief about the extent of the chicanery. I just can’t help but believe that this is going to reverberate harshly on the Repubs come election time.

• September 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm

That enthusiasm has to translate into votes in 2014. Not enough to just cheer at rallies if they don’t make their voices heard when it counts the most.

13. 47 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Show Me The Money

Posted by JM Ashby

——————————

One of the most outspoken proponents of shutting the government down to defund Obamacare has been Jim DeMint’s cronies at the Senate Conservatives Fund, and it turns out they’ve raked in quite a lot of money convincing their dimwitted constituents that they’re contributing to the cause.

———————————–

14. September 20, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I love the two women with the Obama t-shirts in that last photo. I can feel their joy.

15. 50 Jovie
    September 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said he expects the House to pass legislation next week that would give the government a one-year extension in spending before it hits the debt ceiling.

Cantor reiterated prior GOP comments that the bill would seek to delay the operation of ObamaCare, and contain other policy prescriptions.
    “I … expect the House to consider and pass a one-year debt limit increase,” he said of the House’s anticipated work next week.

“This increase will also contain a number of important pro-growth economic policies, healthcare and non-healthcare reforms, in addition to a one-year delay of ObamaCare.”

Cuckoo for cocoa puffs!

• 51 theo67
      September 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Obamacare is set to go live in two weeks. Is Cantor prepared to have the blood of all the citizens who can’t get healthcare for that year on his hands – and all those who miss critical windows for treating something fatal during that time? These GOP are heartless.

September 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

In the photo with the caption, “A crowd listens,” it seems as though the three women are wearing the flag bunting as skirts. Kinda like they’re going to a hoedown after work or something. And now that I’ve written that, I realize my concentration level is prenaptual, because if that’s all I got out of this beautiful post from UT, I really must rest my brain. See y’all later.

17. September 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Shorter Obama to Boehner: https://twitter.com/psddluva4evah/status/381191746115231745

18. 54 Vicki
    September 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I am more than a little unhappy with the 2 democrats who handed a bipartisan talking point to the GOP. I hope voters hand them their walking papers in 2014.
    Also not too thrilled with the TP talking point Obamacare is not ready for primetime although I will be ecstatic to see this proved wrong. The entire USA is totally ready for the ACA. Those who say they aren’t ready, either work for insurance companies or have been bamboozled by propaganda.

19. 55 dotster3
    September 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm

KU prof placed on leave (and will likely lose his job) for tweeting after the Navy Yard shootings—-“Blood is on the hands of the NRA. Next time let it be your sons and daughters.”

20. 57 elo4obama/biden
    September 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I love my President and Vice President- Obama/Biden! I think all the craziness of the GOP comes down to 2 things. One- they really do feel I’ve got mine forget you. The other is they never want to get to tax reformation! We’ve have GOT to win back the house and keep the senate if we hope to further undo the terrible damage to the middle class- “struggling to be, barely middle and trying to hold on to the middle class.”

We can’t get a budget deal done, let alone the grand bargain. We still need to restructure taxes, including tax breaks for businesses staying or coming home. President is working great though minus the broken congress in getting overseas tax havens shut down.

Really repubs can just give it up w/o immigration reform. I think they have to pass it before 2014. If they do not they can really kiss goodbye any chance at national elections, and huge parts of the country. It is really exhausting all the work to be done. By the way thanks for whoever asked and responded to the question of PBO accomplishments. I put them in my fave folder and will print them off and hang on the wall. It’s amazing what all has been accomplished by this admin, both at home and abroad. I better restart my month contributions, and start logging volunteer hours. I’ve been inspired by recent comments to that affect- Bill R, and Donna dem to name 2. Bless you TODville. You all keep me sane and informed.

21. 58 aquagranny911
    September 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I think PBO really misses not being able to drive himself. I think he would love to take one of those vehicles on a test drive. Bless his good heart for all the things he has given up & all the caca he takes to be our Prez!

22. September 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Republicans hate domestic spending, but their hatred is not completely indiscriminate. Some programs offend them more, and others less. The general pattern is that social programs offend Republicans to the degree that they benefit the poor, sick, or otherwise unfortunate. The struggle over the farm bill is not the biggest policy dispute in American politics, but it is the one that most clearly reveals the priorities and ideological identity of the contemporary GOP.

The farm bill traditionally combines agriculture subsidies (which hands out subsidies to people on the arbitrary basis that the business they own produces food as opposed to some other goods or services) with food stamps (which hands out subsidies to people on the highly nonarbitrary basis that they’re poor enough to likely have trouble scraping together regular meals). Conservative Republicans revolted against the normally automatic passage, insisting that the cuts to food stamps — $20 billion — did not slice deeply enough. Last night the House rectified its failure by cutting food stamps by $40 billion.

…..Olsen also neglects to mention that House Republicans are not only locking in high agriculture subsidies, they are throwing more money at agriculture than Democrats want to spend. Obama has attacked the GOP farm-subsidy bill for spending too much. Here is the one chunk of social spending where Republicans are not only failing to issue hostage threats to secure the cuts they demand, they are also refusing to cut spending as much as Barack Obama asks. And the program they pick to defend is, on the substantive merits, the most unjustifiable program of any significant scale in the federal budget.

23. September 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm

24. 62 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 1m

—————————————————-

Republicans don’t seem to get that comparing themselves to Vladimir Putin is making the president’s point for him.

——————————————————

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 3m

———————————————

If Vladimir Putin were threatening to destroy America’s economy, would the GOP negotiate with him?

—————————————————-

25. September 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

There he was, Rep Cleaver, the same one on CNN accusing PBO of getting a sh*t sandwich during budge deliberations. This is the same one sitting up on AF! grinning today. I hate these superficial SOBs and having a hard time loving Claire too. She is just too inconsistent!

• 65 theo67
      September 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I don’t know how they look themselves in the mirror.

• 66 No Child Left Behind
        September 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Theo67,

Easy. They are politicians at their core. POTUS is not; he ran to bring change in Chicago then change in the national landscape when he saw what the middle class and the poor were getting from an elite political class under the “pimpage” of special interests.

• 67 theo67
          September 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I just can’t believe that the reason can be that cynical. There have to be some politicians who are not so crass and shallow and heartless.There have to be more who are in it for the right reasons.

26. 68 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm

The Crazy Party

By PAUL KRUGMAN

————————————

No, this story is all about the G.O.P. First came the southern strategy, in which the Republican elite cynically exploited racial backlash to promote economic goals, mainly low taxes for rich people and deregulation. Over time, this gradually morphed into what we might call the crazy strategy, in which the elite turned to exploiting the paranoia that has always been a factor in American politics — Hillary killed Vince Foster! Obama was born in Kenya! Death panels! — to promote the same goals.

But now we’re in a third stage, where the elite has lost control of the Frankenstein-like monster it created.

—————————————–

27. 69 dotster3
    September 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

White House issues statement on the mass shooting in Chicago. Said President Obama is dismayed to learn of another act of gun violence, this time in his hometown of Chicago. He sends hopes for healing of the victims. Said President Obama is still committed to push Congress to pass common sense gun legislation and is doing everything he can with executive power to reduce the violence.
    Chgo police supt. said the 3 yr. old boy “about had his whole face shot off”. Shell casings found at scene were from assault weapon, AK-47. Reportedly a “dispute” between 2 rival gangs, the Black P. Stones and Gangster Disciples. Lots of talk about illegal guns flooding into Chgo from other states, namely Indiana. And about the long history and multi-generational gang problem—-young people now in the gangs of their fathers and grandfathers.
    There was a peace rally today organized by local pastors and officials at the New Beginnings church. Mayor Rahm spoke some heartfelt words—he had been at the hospital earlier meeting with the mother of the 3 yr. old who was being prepped for surgery. Sadly, right before the peace rally was to start, a fatal shooting occurred not too far from the church’s front door.

28. September 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm

• 71 No Child Left Behind
      September 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Holy cow! That’s my President. I am sick and tired of the hostage-taking American Talibans in Congress!

29. 72 cookemom
    September 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Good twin Cris Matthews is on full display tonight. He has taken two pubs to the woodshed on Hardball. If he gets any more agitated he will probably drown in his own spittle.

30. 75 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

GOP Rep: We’re Done With Immigration And We Blame Obama

By JM Ashby

——————————-

This fantastical line of attack may work on their constituents, but it’s not going to work on Latino voters.

I believe a failure to pass immigration reform now will make it the number one issue of the next presidential election in 2016, because this issue isn’t going away. And that should scare the shit out of Republican campaign operatives. We could be facing the third election in a row that Republicans invariably find themselves on the side of overt racists. An election in which it’s a very real possibility that Democrats could nominate a woman or a Latino, or both. Or a woman who chooses a Latino as her running mate.

———————————————–

31. 76 Ladyhawke
    September 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm

THE END OF THE GROUP OF 7 SHAKES UP THE DYNAMICS AND FREES UP OUR CHAMPIONS

America’s Voice | Released on 09/20/2013 at 2:39pm

—————————————

Greg Sargent at the Washington Post’s Plum Line broke the story this morning that one bipartisan attempt to craft comprehensive immigration reform legislation in the House is dead. Here are excerpts from Sargent’s post:
    According to Frank Sharry, Executive Director of America’s Voice:

When one door closes, other doors open. We are glad that a moribund process has been put to rest and that our leading champions for reform are freed up to bring the full weight of their power to pressure Republicans to take action. We remain optimistic that immigration reform with a path to citizenship has a chance be enacted into law this year, and that legislation is the best solution to the challenges facing 11 million undocumented immigrants. Republicans who want reform will either find a way to work with Reps. Gutierrez, Becerra, Lofgren and Yarmuth or will find themselves being punished for not doing so.

—————————————————-

32. September 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Based on today’s speech I’d say that the #GOP are in for a world of hurt way bigger than anything they can imagine if they don’t stop messing with our President.

I know the President has been reluctant to use the 14th Amendment re: paying America’s bills, but my sense is is that he’s made a decision. He has said repeatedly he will not negotiate the debt limit and he could not be more clear that he will not allow the #GOP to endanger the full faith and credit of the US, again. President Obama knows that Speaker Pelosi and President Clinton among others have already strongly endorsed invoking the 14th Amendment.

He also has an interesting option under Section K of 31 USC § 5112 – Denominations, specifications, and design of coin. Secretary Lew, in strict accordance with the language of that statute could order the Treasury to mint a 2+ Trillion dollar coin, and then deposit it at the Federal Reserve against which government operations could continue to be financed. It may sound far fetched, but it isn’t.

My personal opinion is to declare the debt ceiling Unconstitutional, via the 14th Amendment and proceed to pay bills, without any chance of threat of default of the full faith and credit of the USA – ever again.

In any case, Boehner is going to get shellaced by PBO.

#TrustBarack

• 79 Judith Fardig
      September 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I’m with you, Bobfr!

• 80 nathkatun7
      September 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm

You know Bob, I think President Obama is wise for being reluctant to invoke the 14th Amendment. It’s true that Section 4 of the 14th Amendment plainly says; ‘the validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law…shall not be questioned.” As a Constitutional lawyer, however,President Obama has to also take into account Section 5 of the same 14th Amendment which plainly states that it’s Congress which “shall have the power to ENFORCE, by appropriate legislation” all the sections of the 14th Amendment.

Then there is Article I, section 8, of the original U.S. Constitution which invests the responsibility of paying debts on the Congress, not the President. Here is what the first two paragraphs of section 8 of Article I of the U.S. Constitution say:

#1 “The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common
      defense and general welfare of the United States….”

#2 The Congress shall have the power; “To borrow money on the credit of the United States.”

You are absolutely right that Congress would be abdicating its Constitutional responsibility, under Article I, Section 8; and violating Section 4 of the 14th Amendment, if it decides to default on U.S. debt, by refusing to raise the debt ceiling. I just don’t think that the President has any Constitutional authority to order raising the debt ceiling on his own. With all due respect to President Clinton and Speaker Pelosi, I just don’t see how the President can invoke the 14th Amendment which, under Section 5, invests the power of enforcing all the provisions of the Amendment exclusively on Congress.

I think all of us as citizens should be pressuring Congress to abide by its constitutional responsibilities. Congress has no Constitutional leg to stand on by refusing to pay U.S. debt, just because it wants to defund a law passed by Congress, signed into law by the President, and declared Constitutional by the courts, just because a vocal faction of Congress hates it. The only way to constitutionally stop funding the ACA (Obama Care) is to pass a bill through both houses of Congress signed by the president repealing it. Obviously Republicans in Congress know that’s impossible hence the resort to hostage taking with threats to shut down the government and abdicate Congress’ responsibility to pay U.S. debts.

Bottom line for me, is that the responsibility of raising the debt ceiling to pay U.S. debts rests entirely on Congress. We must avoid putting the burden on President Obama because the Constitution does not give him any power, both under Section 8 of Article I of the Constitution, or Section 4 of the 14th Amendment. I just would want this Congressional irresponsibility to be diverted by President Obama’s enemies to make it about him overstepping/ violating his Constitutional authority.

33. 81 Allison
    September 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

• 82 Nena20409
      September 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I saw a tweet by BWD saying that Romney’s need ACA more, especially, with the 22nd grandchild. It looks like the baby was adopted. I wish them well.

Congratulations Romney family.

• 83 Layla
      September 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

ummmm! Mitt is this not the second time you have announced a 22nd grandchild….just saying..23 comes after 22…

• 84 cookemom
      September 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Except that what I think happened was that he had twin grandkids #17 and #18 by one kid, then had twins # 19 and 20 shortly after. The adoption makes it #21 (I think). Either way, to me, this is not that big of a deal and brings kids into something that has nothing to do with them.

I cringe everytime I read someone referring to PBO saying 57 states. Mistakes are just that and anyone can make them. Mitt has done so much more that is detrimental, that calling him out on this is not a good look for us.

Just me though…..

34. September 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm

“In other words, the new stop-Obamacare plan now entails filibustering the defunders’ own bill…

… The old plan at least let angry conservatives blame Democrats for blocking their goal of defunding Obamacare. Now the defunders can turn their rage against fellow Republicans, creating a fratricidal, revolution-eats-its-own bloodletting.”

• 89 Ladyhawke
      September 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Mike K. ‏@mlkulbacki 1h

———————————————–

@LOLGOP Entire House Republican Party should be removed from office for negligence and dereliction of duty.

————————————————-

• 92 Ladyhawke
      September 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OATH OF OFFICE

3. Do Members take an Oath of Office when they enter the House?

——————————————————–

Article VI of the U.S. Constitution requires that Members of the U.S. Congress be bound by oath or affirmation to support the Constitution. Members-elect of the U.S. House of Representatives typically take the Oath of Office on the House Floor on the first day of a new Congress, immediately after the Speaker of the House has been elected and sworn in.

The Speaker administers this oath:

“I, (name of Member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God” (5 U.S.C. §3331).

——————————————————-

• September 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm

35. 94 cookemom
    September 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm

So let me get this straight. The ‘pubs just held a pep rally and cheered on their passing a CR bill to defund ACA. Now it goes to the Senate, and the people who were cheering its passage, want the Senate to filibuster that very same bill? No wonder they are lost in the wilderness.

Cruz is a Harvard grad and is no dummy. He is setting old Bonehead up to use Dems in the House to pass the bill that Reid will send back with the defund ACA stripped out. Bonehead gets labeled a wuss for going against the Hassert Rule, once again. Then, on the debt ceiling he will once again need Dems to help get that raised. Cruz will call him out as twice folding to PBO. Of course, Cruz being the darling of the Teahadist will vote Bonehead out of his Speakership. Waiting in the wings? Whoever Cruz decides is worthy that’s who (expect to see Can’tor carry Cruz’ water).

• 95 Nena20409
      September 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Our Congress led by Boehner in the House are making a mockery of our system of government. They are now Jesters of the worst kind.

36. 96 No Child Left Behind
    September 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Good Evening TODVille,

Anyone who can share the e-mail addresses of the two Democratic Representatives that sided with the Talibans on passing a CR that 1) keeps the sequestration, and 2) defunds the ACA will have my gratitude.

• 97 japa21
      September 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm

As I said earlier, I am not giving them a bad time. First, they are from red leaning districts, and nobody to the left of them stands a chance of being elected and those two seats can make a difference next year in terms of the Dems regaining the House majority. Secondly, their votes would have made o difference. Thirdly, the fact that Boehner is talking about them actually boosts their chances for reelection. And finally, I am confident that Pelosi gave her okay for them to do so.

I am not one of those that wants total lockstep voting from Dems, specially when it doesn’t affect the final outcome. I am nauseated when I see the GOP do it and to demand it from the Dems would make me hypocritcal.

• 98 No Child Left Behind
        September 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Japa21,

I concede that you have a point. I do recognize the dilemna in which they find themselves in red state territory. Please know that I wasn’t going to blast them, most especially because I am not one of their constituents. What frustrates me is the optic they enable by voting with the other side. Couldn’t they vote PRESENT?

I am very new to politics. But I must confess that the election of President Obama unleashed a very dark side of the American people. There is a good segment of the populace that still has difficulty admitting that the WH is now occupied not by George Bush or anyone looking like him. And these people have become more extreme, behaving like Talibans. It’s their way or “blow everything up”.

• 99 japa21
          September 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm

From their constituents point of view, a “present” vote would be same as “no” vote. Keeping them in their seats next year is more important than any limited propaganda value their voting with GOP is. Remember, several Dems did not vote for ACA originally.

• September 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I agree with you. The Republicans are over the TV talking about they had “bipartisan” support for this bill. Most people won’t bother with the details – bipartisan = 2 Democrats. These 2 Dems are more interested in keeping their jobs. There IS a Democratic Platform. If a Rep is not willing to abide by it, then by all means change parties.

• 101 cookemom
      September 20, 2013 at 8:30 pm

One of them didn’t vote for the original ACA bill and the other said he wanted sequester fixed first. He’s from a heavy red naval base district and sequester has hit his constituents very hard. There is nothing wrong with letting certain Dems slide when their votes won’t change the outcome. They’re still on the roles as Dems, which can be the difference on who gets the gavel. We can expect them to vote strategically with Nancy Smash’s blessing. Expect a few in the Senate to be equally strategic. Cantor called them out by name, so we know who they are. We don’t need to pressure Dems from red states, from the left, we need to pressure ‘pubs from blue states.

37. 103 japa21
    September 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Evening folks. Another eventful day. Sometimes I wish for a day when nothing happens, no crisis, no GOP lies being treated as truth, no ridiculous votes by the House. This isn’t for myself but for our President, although, quite honestly, I have not seen a President in my lifetime, which as you know is long, who is more psychologically fit to handle this.

As much as it was great to see that PBO ripped the GOP a new one, he has been doing this for a while, just being ignored by the media. Yet today I noticed two things. The first is that the media is giving more exposure to his remarks and other Dems, led by Reid and Pelosi, but joined in the act by dozens of others, are out there getting in on the new a–hole ripping.

On the negative, the media is still continuing to pass on lies as if they were truth. My wife asked me when I got home from work why the Dems walked out of the committee hearing on Benghazi when the parents of two of the victims were going to testify. Now, she doesn’t watch Fox and when she gets home from work she also avoids MSNBC or CNN. This was something she heard on a Chicago radio station, in fact the biggest station in Chicago. The report is that Issa charged the Dems with walking out, and left it just like that. This story had already been debunked and it would have been easy for the station to report that fact, but they didn’t. Additionally, if you notice the way they reported it, they didn’t say the Dems walked out, just that Issa had said they did. But they had to know what Issa said was a lie and left it at that. (I should note that WGN is owned by the Tribune Company which has always been conservative.

I will be back in a little while with some more tweets, ignore at your peril.

38. 105 0388jojothecat
    September 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I was watching a show about Joe McCarthy during the “communist” witch huts and I swear that man looks just like Senator Cruz. Senator Cruz is a reincarnation of an evil man.

39. 106 japa21
    September 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm

40. 107 japa21
    September 20, 2013 at 8:25 pm

41. 108 globalcitizenlinda
    September 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm

42. 109 anniebella
    September 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I love POTUS doing his trash talking about the Bears and Chiefs. :)

43. 110 MightyPamela
    September 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Hey, Twitter-ers: recently I find Twitter has wiped out my ability to follow a few people (POTUS, FLOTUS, DalaiLama, my Daughter) by using mobile twitter and their handle. First it was wiped out on my iPhone, then yesterday I tried to open and it was wiped out on iPad, while I sat and watched in disbelief. It seems now I cannot read anyone’s Tweets without having a Twitter account of my own. It’s small stuff, in view of the weight PBO is carrying, but I’m small stuff in the same view!! And I’m pretty disappointed, as I really do not want a twitter account. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Please and Thank You! :sad:

44. 111 Jovie
    September 20, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Cruz: House should pass military-only funding measure
    Jeremy Herb
    09/20/13 05:39 PM ET
    Cruz’s comments are the first specific suggestion he’s put forward about a House countermove to the Senate.…

That’s his plan? Only the military gets funded? god Help us.

45. 113 japa21
    September 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

46. 114 globalcitizenlinda
    September 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm

just saw a few messages which are ONCE AGAIN trying to blame PBO for something he has not said & from people who claim to be supporters – this nonsense gets very tiring!!!!!!!!

RSS OFA