Sep

President Obama Meets A Friend

Hypervocal: President Obama Signs ‘Thank You’ To Deaf Supporter For The Second Time

President Barack Obama returned to Prince George Community College on Thursday. A PGCC student named Stephon showed to see him.

Their paths had crossed before, in that very room 18 months earlier. In March 2012, President Obama worked the line at an event on energy policy with Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley. Stephon signed “I am proud of you,” and without missing a beat, the president signed back, “Thank you.”

On Thursday, the president continued to explain the benefits of the Affordable Care Act and encouraged young people to sign up for the law’s health insurance exchanges. When he left the stage, Obama walked past Stephon, just like he did 18 months previous. The result was the same: another signed “thank you,” another knowing moment.

More here

First encounter in March 2012

Today’s encounter

See the first TOD post on Stephon here

118 Responses to “President Obama Meets A Friend”

1. 1 Ladyhawke
    September 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

AND NOW A WORD FROM THE ADULTS IN CONGRESS

Senate Democrats on the Continuing Resolution

- Senator Harry Reid
    - Senator Barbara Mikulski
    - Senator Patty Murray
    - Senator Chuck Schumer
    - Senator Dick Durbin

——————————————-

WASHINGTON, DC
    Thursday, September 26, 2013

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and other Democratic leadership hold a news conference to discuss the debate in the Senate on the continuing resolution, which will temporarily fund the government beginning on Tuesday.

——————————————-

2. 5 Allison
    September 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm

President Obama was excellent as usual. Fantastic explanation of ObamaCare!

3. September 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Love that story! He really is special. Congrats Ladyhawke

4. September 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Always the gentleman, Pres Obama

5. September 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm

GE, Ladies & Gents of TOD……… Hope everyone had a wonderful day…. I have no clue what has been posted…apologies in advance!

6. September 26, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Screeeeech! Huff! Puff!

Top 10? Not bad – for today!

8. September 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm

And in non political news……… former NCAA collegiate players won BIG today.

While current NCAA players fight for their right to make money, a large group of former college football players scored a major victory Thursday.

Shortly after Electronic Arts announced it would stop producing a college football game beginning next year, the video game company — together with Collegiate Licensing Company, which holds the licensing rights to the trademarks to the majority of the colleges and universities — filed papers to the U.S. District Court in Northern California that it had settled its case brought by former players.

Although the video games did not use their names, the former college athletes alleged EA Sports used the same jersey numbers, heights, weights, skin tones, hair colors and home states listed in their in-game bios, not only without their permission, but without compensation. Steve Berman, managing partner of the law firm Hagens Berman, who served as co-lead counsel in the class-action lawsuit brought by the players, acknowledged to ESPN.com that a settlement had been reached, although the specific terms will remain confidential. Berman said negotiations started in earnest the past few weeks on the heels of an appellate court affirming in July a U.S. District Court decision that ruled that EA could not use a First Amendment defense of free speech.

9. September 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm
  10. 13 Ladyhawke
    September 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Introducing White House Shareables

————————————————–

Whether it’s with an infographic or a White Board video, we’re always looking for new ways to highlight the work President Obama is doing on behalf of the American people in a way that’s interesting and easy to understand.

Earlier today, we released our latest feature in that effort: White House Sharables. Head over and take a look some of our favorite content in one easy-to-navigate page. You can sort by the issues important to you, or the type of content you’d like to see.

Check out the page — and get sharing.

———————————————–

11. September 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Wow, gorgeous post UT, I LOVE this man SO much!

12. September 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm
  13. 22 anniebella
    September 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Have anyone notice that TeaNN (CNN) seem to have fallen in love with Newt Gingrich. Another sign how low TeaNN (CNN) has sunk.

• 23 daisydem
      September 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Newt? Really, Newt? How far down will they go? That man has enough baggage to sink any ship! How could anyone with even the tiniest bit of a brain take Newt Gingrich seriously on anything?

14. 25 Allison
    September 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

At the direction of the President, Secretary Kerry is doing a fantastic job.

September 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Yes, he is. Pres. Obama “sure can pick ‘em”!

• 27 theo67
      September 27, 2013 at 12:07 am

Thank you for saying that. A lot of people tend to forget that the foreign policy agenda originates from the President, and the Sec of State follows those instructions. That said, Sec. Kerry is doing a fantastic job! :)

15. September 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm
  16. 29 theo67
    September 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I love that Stephen the student has worked so hard to see the President twice, and has been rewarded both times. Lovely! I’m sure the President finds it significant, too.

17. September 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm

COS McDonnough, used to ride a bike to work everyday during the Obama administration, until S.Service nixed that once he was promoted!

18. 31 globalcitizenlinda
    September 26, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Interesting about the meeting of PBO and Mr. Stephon.

As I watched PBO work the rope after today speech on C-SPAN, I thought I recognized Mr. Stephon, just as he shock POTUS’s hand;

He was hard to miss if you had seen the previous video (but he today he looked a little older than before) – had on bluish/grey shirt

he stood close to where POTUS started shaking hands, got his interaction with PBO. he had a camera but seemed as if he was trying to decide whether to take a selfie with PBO in the back ground or just continue recording PBO he moved on.

I am writing this before I even watch today’s clip.

it may seem as if I have too much time on my hands – but the previous interact of PBO with Mr. Stephon is one of those that stuck with me (the excitement was had to miss).

It was also the first time that I had realized that PBO (like FLOTUS) could use sign language

September 26, 2013 at 9:52 pm

POTUS and FLOTUS are smart folks, unlike Ted Cruz.

September 26, 2013 at 9:54 pm

The DC media is trying to convince us how smart Cruz is.

• September 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I believe that Ted Cruz is a smart man if you look at this background but unlike POTUS and FLOTUS, Ted Cruz’s smarts is used to deceive the average American where as PBO and Mrs. Obama was taught true American values to give back. They were blessed to have opportunities that their parents and peers did not have and they needed to pay it forward. Cruz was raised to think only of himself and it shows. The Republican values are self preservation, do whatever it takes to stay on top no matter who you have step on to get ahead.

September 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm

What is Ted Cruz background? He went to Harvard and Princeton. Doesn’t impress me one bit. You can be a educate fool, idiot. America meet Ted Cruz.

• 37 99ts
          September 26, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Laughable that the GOP who don’t like the “academic elite” think Cruz is smart because he went to Princeton and Harvard.

• 38 globalcitizenlinda
      September 26, 2013 at 10:09 pm

and thanks to auto-correct, too many mistakes in my sentences -sorry

19. September 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I like the new font. Much cleaner. Elegant. Like a fine Frank Lampard free kick.

20. September 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

“It was a mistake,” Gates admits to an audience left laughing at his honesty. “We could have had a single button, but the guy who did the IBM keyboard design didn’t wanna give us our single button.” David Bradley, an engineer who worked on the original IBM PC, invented the combination which was originally designed to reboot a PC. “I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous,” Bradley said in an interview previously, leaving Bill Gates looking rather awkward. To this day the combination still exists in Windows 8, allowing users to lock a machine or access the task manager. While Windows 8 defaults to a new login screen, it’s still possible to use the traditional Control-Alt-Delete requirement and a number of businesses running on Windows XP and Windows 7 will still use it every day.

21. 46 globalcitizenlinda
    September 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I am putting in my comment about the new font and the other adjustments for this blog – I love it .

what is the name of the new font?

22. September 26, 2013 at 10:19 pm
  23. September 26, 2013 at 10:19 pm
  24. September 26, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Ok, think I cleared out my twitter TL……. time to watch 2nd half of 49ers game. GN, TOD…… maybe catch you lurking later? Depends on final score :)

25. September 26, 2013 at 10:31 pm

#TrustBarack Yes We Can

26. September 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Really hope this video gets millions of views during the next few days ….

Yes We Can

27. September 26, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Evening folks. The new font—-doesn’t work well on my iPhone. Nearly impossible to read if I have the phone vertical and not much better with phone turned horizontal……..quite small and I can’t read all the way across the line……..have to keep moving it to the right, then move it back to the left. Anyone else tried it on an iPhone????? If so, please let me know.

I hate to complain and I see that others love it here. It’s fine on my laptop but not on my phone. Sorry, Chips!

September 27, 2013 at 12:34 am

I’m not on an iPhone, but I’m not a big fan of the new font, either. That’s two of us! But I’ll get used to it, no doubt, and soon forget what the other one looked like!

28. September 26, 2013 at 10:48 pm

The United States and Iran made diplomatic history Thursday as Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif talked for a half hour on the sidelines of a multilateral meeting on Iran’s nuclear program.

The meeting, which Zarif described as “more than a chat,” took place at the United Nations, and marked the highest-level and most-substantive encounter between officials of the two sides since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Zarif made the announcement at a gathering of think tankers and journalists addressed by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani. The comments upstaged the president, who, when asked his reaction, told his interlocutor, Josette Sheeran, president of the Asia Society, “You ask for the first step. They [Kerry and Zarif] took it.” Afterward, Zarif told Al-Monitor: “I’m optimistic. I have to be. Political leaders need to be optimistic about the future and make every commitment to go forward for the cause of peace. This was a good beginning. I sense that Secretary Kerry and President [Barack] Obama want to resolve this.”

• 62 0388jojothecat
      September 27, 2013 at 1:08 am

I am so proud of President Obama, his UN team and SOS Kerry. This is the most historic administration in American history and in the 21st century.

29. 63 Ladyhawke
    September 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Jeff Gauvin ‏@JeffersonObama 1h

To stop “Hillarycare”, the American right and Heritage Foundation came up with market exchanges…known today by Hate radio as “OBAMACARE”

• 64 4morefor44
      September 26, 2013 at 11:00 pm

hate to say it, but i stopped reading jeff as he started tweeting more and more ‘hillary is inevitable” nonsense. he seems to really like her…yuck!

• 65 99ts
        September 27, 2013 at 2:57 am

I stopped when his tweets were full of hate in regard to the President not bombing Syria. It seems every supporter of the President – outside of those on TOD, expect the President to follow what THEY think is the perfect path for the US. I prefer to trust the path that PBO takes.

30. 66 daisydem
    September 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I had not listened to any of Cruz’s diatribe on the Senate floor. I had been here and read the comments, etc. but just did watch Jon Stewart’s replay of some of it and his parody of it and I am speechless. Did this supposedly educated man ramble on and make those reference to Ashton Kutcher’s speech and various movies …. and well, it boggles the mind. If I were in the Harvard Student Records office and received a call asking me to verify that Cruz had been a student there, I would deny it … for the reputation of Harvard.

• 67 amk for obama
      September 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

31. September 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Good morning folks.

September 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

what new font?

34. September 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Truth.

September 26, 2013 at 11:17 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Is lyin’ chucky still denying his corrupt ways?

September 27, 2013 at 12:38 am
      • 87 Dudette
        September 27, 2013 at 1:33 am

Ha! “More excuses than a 5th grader!” :-D

September 27, 2013 at 1:35 am

Ha – I couldn’t fit more in, even though I tried! Not sure if you saw David Schuster’s TL on Twitter, but he really took down Chuckie plus Phil Griffin. Loved it and almost got carpal tunnel syndrome R/Ting all of David’s tweets. David’s a real bitter ex-msnbc employee, looks like. My kinda guy. :)

September 26, 2013 at 11:52 pm
    September 26, 2013 at 11:56 pm
    September 27, 2013 at 12:06 am
    September 27, 2013 at 12:13 am
  44. 97 dotster3
    September 27, 2013 at 12:13 am
    September 27, 2013 at 12:16 am
  46. 104 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    September 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

Jovie: I worked my way backward to the earlier threads and saw this morning’s posts. I don’t know if you will see this but I just wanted to add to the sentiments that others have expressed that you will find the care and support you need to get through this difficult time. Animals give us unconditional love and I remember sitting and balling my eyes out when my favorite black cat died, because he was a character who could not be replaced. I have had other animals and they all have their different personalities just like people. Your mom is very kind and loving and is trying to stop you hurting. The new puppy will have it’s own personality too and you can take your time getting to know each other. Take care of yourself for now. Healing thoughts are on their way to you.

September 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
  48. 108 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 1:43 am

49. 109 Bill R.
    September 27, 2013 at 1:49 am
  50. September 27, 2013 at 2:13 am

#AffordableSafetyAct (aka #ObamaSafe)

Don’t expect too many folk to notice this now, but after #ObamaCare launches on 1 Oct, I’ll be pushing, hopefully with lots of TODers support, this common sense, sustainable and absolutely essential framework for responsibly reducing gun violence in America and paying for the process (i.e., why it is sustainable economically).

Yes We Can

51. 114 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 3:20 am
  52. 115 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 3:21 am
  53. September 27, 2013 at 6:42 am

“Health Insurance “Coverage Gap” Coming to a Red State Near You”

—–

In 21 states that won’t expand Medicaid eligibility, roughly 5.5 million people with incomes below the poverty line could fall into the ‘coverage gap,’ meaning they earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to get tax credits to help buy health coverage on the insurance marketplace.

For the denizens of red state America, the final launch of the Affordable Care Act is fast becoming a Shakespearean tragedy of epic proportions. Even as the Defund Obamacare crowd continues its tale told by an idiot, Republicans are beginning to realize that Obamacare by any other name smells much sweeter. And now, millions of Americans in the red states are learning they will fall into a “coverage gap,” needlessly left without health insurance because of the Republicans’ murder most foul.

In places like Oregon, Colorado, New York, California and other, mostly Democratic states, governors and state legislators accepted the expansion of Medicaid to provide free health insurance for those earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty (FPL). For those earning between 138 and 400 percent of the FPL, the Affordable Care Act’s subsidies will help them purchase insurance in the private market. But in the states where Republicans said “no” to the expansion of Medicaid, the picture is much different… Nearly 2 in 3 uninsured people who would qualify for health coverage under an expansion of Medicaid live in states which won’t broaden the program or have not yet decided on expansion.

The resulting Republican body count is staggering. Thanks to the GOP’s rejection of Medicaid expansion, 1.3 million people in Texas, 1 million in Florida, 534,000 in Georgia and 267,000 in Missouri will be ensnared in the coverage gap.

—–

“600,000 Georgians make too little for new health care subsidy”