Sep

‘A unique opportunity’

@petesouza: Historic phone call in the Oval Office: Pres Obama talks w Iran Pres Hassan Rouhani this afternoon

President Obama:

Just now, I spoke on the phone with President Rouhani of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The two of us discussed our ongoing efforts to reach an agreement over Iran’s nuclear program. I reiterated to President Rouhani what I said in New York. While there will surely be important obstacles to moving forward and success is by no means guaranteed, I believe we can reach a comprehensive solution.

I’ve directed Secretary Kerry to continue pursuing this diplomatic effort with the Iranian government. We had constructive discussions yesterday in New York with our partners, the European Union, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia and China, together with the Iranian foreign minister.

Going forward, President Rouhani and I have directed our teams to continue working expeditiously in cooperation with the P-5-plus-1 to pursue an agreement. And throughout this process, we’ll stay in close touch with our friends and allies in the region, including Israel.

Now, we’re mindful of all the challenges ahead. The very fact that this was the first communication between an American and Iranian president since 1979 underscores the deep mistrust between our countries, but it also indicates the prospect of moving beyond that difficult history. I do believe that there is a basis for a resolution. Iran’s supreme leader has issued a fatwa against the development of nuclear weapons. President Rouhani has indicated that Iran will never develop nuclear weapons.

I’ve made clear that we respect the right of the Iranian people to access peaceful nuclear energy in the context of Iran meeting its obligations. So the test will be meaningful, transparent and verifiable actions, which can also bring relief from the comprehensive international sanctions that are currently in place.

Resolving this issue obviously could also serve as a major step forward in a new relationship between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran, one based on mutual interests and mutual respect. It would also help facilitate a better relationship between Iran and the international community, as well as others in the region, one that would help the Iranian people fulfill their extraordinary potential, but also help us address other concerns that could bring greater peace and stability to the Middle East.

A path to a meaningful agreement will be difficult. And at this point, both sides have significant concerns that will have to be overcome. But I believe we’ve got a responsibility to pursue diplomacy, and that we have a unique opportunity to make progress with the new leadership in Tehran. I also communicated to President Rouhani my deep respect for the Iranian people.

Steve Benen: …. I hope the political world can appreciate just how remarkable this turn of events really is. A decade ago, U.S. foreign policy declared Iran part of an “axis of evil” and tensions between the nations escalated to dangerous levels. Now we’re seeing diplomatic breakthroughs and there’s a credible possibility of resolving the Iranian nuclear dispute.

Full post here

182 Responses to “‘A unique opportunity’”

September 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hi, Japa! :razz:

September 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

One half wanted to add Na-na-na na-na, but the other off said that was too childish. :grin:

• September 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

:lol: Take that, Japa!!! Hellooooooooo VC!

September 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm

HelloooOOOooo, Chips Chica! Did you see that desperate email I TRIED to send you this morning? I had a 20-30 minute break and desperately wanted to answer a question (posted 4 times) re Smartypants and the system kept kicking me out! Grrrrr.

• September 27, 2013 at 6:31 pm

HellOOOOooooOOOoooo VC, got your email, thank yoooooou, DM’ed you about it this morning.

Flip: more commenting glitches here? I HATE WP!!!!

September 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Oh no, no, no, these glitches were NOT in the village! No reason to hate WP today. :grin: My workplace has some sort of system in place to deter personal posting (to blogs), so it would knock me out at each attempt. In addition their system is soooo old, that going through google to send you that email was quite a song and dance – performed with my eye on the clock (as I had to be sure to sign off at the end of my break, and before leaving the room). The system freezes the computer if you leave and do not log out, thereby making it obvious who was there. I never bother to try to post when I’m called in and have a free moment – too aggravating. Usually I’d just read.

• September 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Ah, pheeeEEEEEeeeew!

While I have ya, VC, are you having problems with the blog today, fonts etc? Don’t know if you saw the chat earlier, others are having nightmares! Trying to figure out what the issue is, struggling so far!

September 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Well I liked last night’s ‘new’ font because it was clearer for me and the spacing of the letters was just right. (I said as much somewhere last night). Today seems back to blurry, and font size also seems smaller. I realize from the complaints I’ve seen so far that I am unlikely to get last night’s back, so I’ll only say that as long as I can make things out, even if I have to have my nose to the screen, I’ll make do.

I cannot resist adding though that I always get nervous when you go near your toolbox. Just saying.

September 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm

BTW, WHEN is Master O’Cheesy coming home? I remember it was supposed to be October 20something, but the 20s are fast disappearing…..

September 27, 2013 at 6:23 pm

It was most exasperating! Anyways, I noted on my last break that someone (Obama Grandm??) had answered you, so I felt better. It should be against the law for workplaces to rig their old computer systems so that some folk can’t get online when they really, really want to. ;)

• 18 Dudette
      September 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Japa takes GOLD!!!!

Congratulations!!!

2. 19 forus50
    September 27, 2013 at 6:21 pm

3. 20 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm

ROLF!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

4. September 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Congrats on first, VC! ……….what a difference 3 decades makes.

President Obama spoke by phone with Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani Friday, both leaders said, following Iranian media reports of the call.

The 15 minute phone call was initiated by Obama at 2:30pm Friday as Rouhani was in a car being driven to the airport on the last day of a four day trip to New York. The Iranians reached out today expressing interest in the call, the White House said. It came a day after Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif met one on one for thirty minutes to jump start nuclear negotiations.

Obama, in the call, congratulated Rouhani on his election, and urged the two leaders to seize the opportunity for a nuclear deal, a senior White House official said Friday. A “breakthrough on the nuclear issue could open the door to a [more constructive] relationship between the US and Iran,” Obama said, the White House official summarized.

Khodahafez is a Persian-language expression that’s used to say goodbye. It’s sometimes written as two words: “khoda hafez” and literally translates as “God be with you.” You can practically hear cable news talking heads trying to decide whether they should be outraged by this choice of words, but it’s really just a friendly colloquialism.

….In fact, it’s a point of contention in the Islamic world. The Persians tend to say “Khoda Hafez” and [for] lots of people, it’s the standard slang. But the hard line Sunnis now say “Allah Hafez,” because they don’t like the Persian word “Khoda,” which is “God.” But that’s inside baseball.

5. September 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

John Connelly was not watching when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said his name during Cruz’s 21-hour marathon speech on the Senate floor earlier this week to rally fellow Republicans against the Affordable Care Act.

Connelly, a 22-year-old college student at Rutgers University, only heard about it the next day when a friend messaged him on Facebook to tell him the news — and he was not exactly thrilled. In fact, Connelly is supportive of the law and has already reaped some of the benefits of the ACA, often referred to by its detractors as “Obamacare.”

6. 29 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Ha! Somebody looked at some $$$ walking out the door, didn’t they?

7. 31 japa21
    September 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I will ignore the first comment on this thread, as well as the 2nd and 3rd other than to say 3>1.

Much of everything PBO has been doing through both his 1st term and the current one in terms of foreign policy has been leading to this point. From the speech in Cairo to the confrontation with Syria, the end game, I think, has always been to create a rapprochement with Iran.

Iran is one of the most highly educated and, prior to sanctions, economically developed countries in the ME. They have strong influence with Syria (possibly more than Russia does) as well as being major backers of Hamas and Hezbollah. They are the linchpin upon which a resolution of the Israel-Palestine issue revolves.

We will not be allies with Iran, but we can easily become partners in brokering a peace. It will not be easy, and may well not be finished before the end of PBO’s term in office, but by that time, hopefully, a lot of solid groundwork will be created that it will move forward of its own accord.

September 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Wait a minute, there, Japa! That’s not very friendly! You’re actually ignoring my greeting? /ADD an epitome of innocence smilie right here/ Why, I was only reassuring you that I saw your concern earlier this morning (when I couldn’t answer because I was at work)…

and rather than being jealous that you had risen and were shining, I was trying to acknowledge your success.

…………………………………………………
      I like your analysis of the potential inherent in a rapprochement with Iran. Given the way this has been accelerating I am rooting for Pres O and Pres Rouhani brokering a peace deal BEFORE the end of PBO’s term. I say this because PBO has the best knowledge, spirit and insight to do this well. One, I don’t trust anyone likely to follow PBO with knowing how to use a FP scalpel in this particular case, and two, no one in sight IMO knows how to leave ego aside AND always allow your adversary the opportunity to save face while compromising. I feel this well be best accomplished by these two leaders – both of whom, I believe, have been placed in their respected positions ‘for such a time as this’.

• 33 japa21
        September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Although I hope it can be accomplished in next 3 plus years, I think you might also see a lot of positioning here. Look out for Kerry and the VP in 2016. Either would be well equipped to follow the plan.

September 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Either would be equipped, true, but I don’t have the same level of confidence in their ability to finesse this as I have in PBO’s. He just seems to me to have a clearer, cleaner sense of what’s needed to help well-meaning opponents keep their dignity, while moving them towards a desired goal. AND he does this IMO sincerely, without ‘positioning’ so to speak. [BTW -Note that I said ‘well-meaning’ which effectively precludes the GOPs.]

8. September 27, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Chips, UT…… whenever you have a moment….I have a reply in WP jail. TY

In rolling the dice on Iran, Syria and Middle East peace, President Barack Obama has made Secretary of State John Kerry the chief executor of his foreign policy legacy — a role denied to Hillary Clinton. Intriguing comparisons between Obama’s first and second term top diplomats broadened Thursday, when Kerry took charge of nuclear talks with Iran. He already had a heavy load, marshaling peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians and thrashing out a deal with Russia on Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal.

And it was the White House, not the State Department, which pounced on Russia’s plan to dispose of Syria’s chemical arms. “At the end of the day, it’s the president who is going to be making the big calls,” said a former senior administration official.

9. 49 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I will not tweet this stupidity, but you must read the article for yourself.

Unfair! Poll finds most GOP voters aren’t sure if Twitter gives Obama more than 140 characters

• 50 theo67
      September 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm

It’s enough to read the headline and laugh. I can’t imagine we’ll get any wiser reading the article about such stupid people (and I rarely use the word “stupid”).

10. 51 Nena20409
    September 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I am so Giddy and extremely happy with the POTUS speech this afternoon that I must confess, since having listened and watched the video, I have not stopped smiling.

I am just happy.

• 52 LDS
      September 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Nena, I am happy with you.

It feels good to have an intelligent, caring, peace loving President in office.

• 53 Judith Fardig
      September 27, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Me too! Makes it much easier to enjoy the Republican freakout. Come on, America, throw out all the Rs in 2014 who are running for their seats in Congress.

11. September 27, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Methinks an un-named personna behind the finely-honed sensitivity to Iranian inflections is Valerie Jarrett. She was born in Iran in 1956 when her parents were working there, and speaks Persian as well as other languages fluently. I read somewhere (can’t remember link) that she was involved in crafting Pres Obama’s Nowruz video messages that he’s been delivering annually to the people of Iran.

Won’t be surprised if she’s played some significant role in the backchannel diplomacy that has resulted in today’s historic news. I’m just guessing, but I believe POTUS respects very much the special expertise his staff bring to the table. And Valerie has played similar backchannel roles with the business community (at least the sane ones)

• 55 Nena20409
      September 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Yes Zizi2. Yes. I have forgotten that Ms Jarrett was born in Iran and she lived there until 8-10 yrs old, if memory serves me right.

• September 27, 2013 at 6:42 pm

“Methinks an un-named personna behind the finely-honed sensitivity to Iranian inflections is Valerie Jarrett”

Ah, very interesting Zizi, I’d competely forgotten her Iranian roots – certainly could explain the informed and beautiful handling of all of this.

• September 27, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Who knows we may find out soon or may be not since she’s very loyal and has remained discrete her entire time so far in the WH

• 58 Dudette
        September 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Oh that’s riiiiiight… I forgot about that. Strong, smart, savvy women in PBO’s circle leading the way… again! I love that man!

• 59 99ts
        September 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I find it very telling that she appears so often in the pictures from the white house. She has never wavered in her support, and is one of the few who will remain through the 8 years of President Obama – and still some fool in the media attacks PBO for lack of women in the administration.

• 60 theo67
          September 27, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I was mentioning this to my sister just the other day. I wasn’t thrilled with her at the beginning, but realize now that she’s been a rock for President Obama – and she seems to enjoy the job, which makes it even better. I’m glad she’s there for him, and seems intent to stay for the duration.

• 61 99ts
            September 28, 2013 at 2:14 am

I wondered as to her role early on – but I think she is what would be called in my world “the Minister for everything”. PBO seems to seek and request her opinion on many things – and she stays well away from the media – which no doubt upsets the likes of Todd & Co.

12. 62 Bill R.
    September 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

The are a whole rabble of bible thumpers who like Chuck Hagee are crying for us to “nuke Iran” becuz it will bring on Armageddon and Jesus will come. And of course they think Jesus needs our helping in starting catastrophic wars, otherwise he won’t come again. Happily they are going to be disappointed, even angry about peace.

13. 64 japa21
    September 27, 2013 at 6:40 pm

14. September 27, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Boy, this is heady stuff!!! We are watchinng history in the making in so many ways. And I was just thinking how wonderful it is that the news is so positive, thanks to dear POTUS. One of the accounts I read said that Pres. Rouhani was surprised and took the call so that tells me that President Obama followed his heart and reached out. I appreciate both of them so much.

I loved looking at the names and nationalities of the people who retweeted Pete Souza’s picture of the phone call, too.

I’ve tried to call my GOP Rep several times in the last three days and the Congressional Switchboard has been busy every time. Must be a lot o people calling! I used his email contact form and will again, but I will also keep calling.

I’m so glad to have this Obama loving home to come to. Thank you TODers!

15. September 27, 2013 at 6:47 pm

16. 69 japa21
    September 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm

• 70 Obama Grandmama
      September 28, 2013 at 6:15 pm

As a retired teacher I can say that many teachers were taught the talk to my hand motion of hand up in stop position at the child interrupting while not looking at them or giving them attention. The person that was interrupted got full attention and was listened to. Then when the interrupter acted appropriately he was listened to and given attention. It worked too!

17. 71 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

18. 72 Eveingeorgia
    September 27, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Oh, I feel the same way @ThisMagicalEarth. I was out having a late lunch with a friend when all this was happening. Saw PBO from the side of my eye on the restaurant T.V., but thought it was from a past conference. Got home to find that the earth has shifted, yet again, while I was away!

I swear, this administration is one breathtaking journey. Now, i’VE got to get some serious work done, and try to focus. The events of today make that very hard.

Thank you, TOD.

19. 74 africa
    September 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm

20. September 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

In Iran, Phone Call News Greeted With ‘Wow’

TEHRAN — Night had fallen in the Iranian capital, Tehran, as Hassan Rouhani, the new president of Iran, sent a message via his now-famous Twitter account: he had just gotten off the telephone with President Obama, who had called him.

“Wow, this is fantastic,” said Armin Kay, an engineer among those reacting to the news. “The most important is that Obama took the initiative, this will go down really well with our leadership.”

It was the first telephone conversation between the top leaders of Iran and United States since the Islamic revolution in 1979…..

21. September 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

22. September 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

23. 80 Nena20409
    September 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

24. 81 africa
    September 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm

25. 82 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:03 pm

26. 83 africa
    September 27, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I love my preznit. On that note I am off to watch my son play HS football. They are 4 and 0. Hope the streak continues.

Wish us luck. I hate the game, but I love my son, so I am going.

27. 85 japa21
    September 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm

28. September 27, 2013 at 7:11 pm

All right, this is rather amusing.

I lurk on a site called Satellite Guys, on their Dish Network forum. (Yes, I’m a geek. Like you didn’t know this.)

The topic du jour is whether Dish and ABC/Disney will come to an agreement on a renewed carriage contract. Specifically, people want their ESPN. The thread has grown to about 85 pages. The last two pages are of people mocking the GOP and Ted Cruz for their position on the budget / debt ceiling and Obamacare, comparing it to the Dish / Disney negotiations. I had to chuckle. This is the real world, just ordinary people, not political junkies like us, and they’re getting it. The GOP is toast.

29. 90 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Besides the lovely sentiment of this tweet, it comes with the added bonus of allowing you to identify some trolls for blockage (read the responses) and Enjoy!

30. 93 forus50
    September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

This guy cannot be more than 50% right on any given day. I don’t know how someone lives with such a confused political viewpoint.

• 94 theo67
      September 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’m trying to understand Frum’s tweet. Was he trying to say that the lesson of Iraq was that diplomacy has to be exhausted before any fighting begins? And that the bad path we were on with Iran was going to lead us to another Iraq, if diplomacy wasn’t given a chance? I don’t know – I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt – because that first “We’re” could have been a “Were” instead…

Or, maybe you’re right and he’s just being his usual jerky self.

31. September 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Wow, TODville is chatty cathy tonight.

Swear I just saw that there’s a new post, and it now has almost 70 comments?

For those of us who remember 1979, this feels almost as historic as the Fall of Saigon.

A TRULY momentous moment that is 100% because Barack Obama is our President.

A President who does NOT believe in a zero-sum game — he SAID that on Tuesday at the UN, used those very words — but our unspeakably LAZY and CORPORATE MSM choose to ignore both our President’s actions and words.

Hopefully the MSM will be in the dustbin of history by 2017.

32. 97 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm

33. September 27, 2013 at 7:23 pm

So I guess I’ll be giving AJAM a try today and this weekend. This is big fucking news about Obama – Rouhani, and of course I trust them to cover it fully and with depth. Fox and CNN are useless, and MSNBC has prison shows to broadcast.

34. 100 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm

35. 106 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:25 pm

36. 111 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm

37. 113 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm

What’s Persian for “SQUEEEEEEEE”? :-)

September 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Just checking in to say how happy and ever more proud I am of our President! A coworker of mine, from Iran, came up to me today and had such a smile on his face…He said, “This is SUCH a good day. An important day. An amazing day!” And then he told me what happened…( I was in class and had no idea) So happy for the world today…not over by a long shot, but I’m so hopeful….and hopeful for the people of Iran that have weathered crippling sanctions. This is a good day:)

39. 115 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Peep this guy’s profile

• 116 forus50
      September 27, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Very impressive resume and truly great he boldly posts his views. Just followed. Thanks Dudette.

40. 117 dotster3
    September 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm

NBC News reported on The Phone Call, but they all sure looked sad about having to do it. They had that esteemed journalistic trio reporting—Todd, Mitchell and Gregory. They did show the photo of PBO on the phone, but they hardly mentioned his name after that. The Toddler said the initiative for the phone call came from Rouhani, trying to be as dismissive of Obama’s role as humanly possible. I cannot bear to look at his smirky face any more—-some voice keeps telling me to throw a cream pie. Anyhoo, Brian Williams expressed “skepticism” as to any takeaway from this event, which is okay and understandable, but he looked pained and about to cry as to the possibility of any more positive sign. It was a sight to behold. That segment should be studied in future journalism classes as a warning about how far away from truth and reality the media can fall—-about how partisan they became—–about how they failed our democracy—-and to never ever let this kind of destructive sham happen in this country again.

• September 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I said from the beginning, the MSM media was mad because the President fucked up all their ‘ war plans’, and took away their plan to stand there, and just shrug as the GOP attempted to ‘impeach’ the President over Syria.

That Syria is gone, and now War with Iran is fading faster than they ever thought…yeah, they’re mad.

Our President goes about his duty as President, and they’re madder than a mutha that even though they’ve been against him 90% of the time (the study’s results)….he keeps on succeeding, thus making them irrelevant with everyday that passes.

• 119 theo67
      September 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

They are rooting for failure. And they’re on the losing team. The only failure we’ll see is on their side – over and over and over again.

41. September 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I just found this fellow. His background is interesting and has very supportive tweets: Col. Morris Davis @ColMorrisDavis
    Gitmo chief prosecutor ’05-07. Retired w/25 yrs Air Force service. Asst Prof @Howard Law. Battling the faux-patriots one comment at a time … views are my own.

42. September 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm

43. 123 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:34 pm

44. 124 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm

LOL! More evidence I found my TRIBE when I found TOD — we’re all posting the same tweets from our #Discover feeds. :-)

45. 125 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:41 pm

46. 126 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Small moves…

47. September 27, 2013 at 7:47 pm

National Security Adviser Susan Rice on Friday described the first phone call between an American president and his Iranian counterpart in more than three decades as “cordial” and “constructive.”

Rice told CNN’s Fareed Zakaria that the Iranian delegation approached the Obama administration about a phone call between President Barack Obama and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.

The request came after indicating earlier in the week that a direct meeting at the UN General Assembly would not be possible due to Iran’s internal political reality. “Today, somewhat surprisingly, we were contacted by them to say that President Rouhani would like to speak to President Obama on the telephone on his way out of town, and we were able to make that call come together and it was a constructive conversation,” Rice said.

48. 128 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm

49. September 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm

New post in, oh, 10-ish minutes

September 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi YardArm! Hi Jovie! (So you know you are in my thoughts.)

September 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Evening, NCLB! When are you going in for your procedure, so we can hold you in our thoughts on the actual day?

52. 139 forus50
    September 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm

“Our common humanity shall reveal itself and America must play a role in ushering in a new era of peace” https://twitter.com/FORUS50/status/383741173514256384

53. 145 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Okay last one… I got carried away. :-D

54. 146 globalcitizenlinda
    September 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

55. 147 cookemom
    September 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I haven’t seen any tweet from god lately. I hope he’s alright.

September 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! h/t Bob Cesca:)

57. 156 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Okay, this is taking too long… I gotta post another song.

58. 160 LDS
    September 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Linda, I was thinking the same thing as I yet he’d the President’s speech. I believe it is going to be like that before our. (I do not like a saying or thinking this….) President leaves office. So much positive is going to thwart any negatives because it is all about the timing.
    They would be fools to let this moment pass them by.

While I watched the speech, I brought it close up on my iPad and the flag behind the President vivisbly shows the eagle with the olive branch clasped in its foot. I thought to myself this is the time for all to extend their hands and unclencgd their fists as the Presidentt extended an invitation earlier when he divinely arrived on the scene.

• 161 LDS
      September 27, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Corrections up above: “Watched” and “clenched”
      Either I need real glasses or this iPad is taking over….too damn fast sometimes(not complaining…….just saying).
      I had a Dell before, I almost threw it out the window at least 10x’s.

59. 162 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Heads UP! BFD right here!!!

Direct link to the feed: http://rt.com/on-air/un-syria-resolution-vote/

September 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

61. September 27, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Done!!

62. 169 cookemom
    September 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm

An updated oldie, still as relevant as ever:

63. 171 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm

64. September 27, 2013 at 8:29 pm

65. 173 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Secretary Kerry speak at UN Security Council meeting – not sure if this is live, but worth a look

66. September 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm

What a beautiful day in the USA

September 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm

REPEAT.REPEAT.REPEAT. REPEAT.

• September 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Some fool was on television today trying to give the Republicans credit for the low spending record. Of course, he referred to sequestration which has only been in effect since March. Of course the media moron just sat there and allowed him to make that false assertion. Blows my mind.

68. 177 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:39 pm

69. 179 Dudette
    September 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Wish we could get everyone here to learn to value & power of voting this way!

70. 181 Dudette