Oct

Obamacare in Action

President Obama hugs Americans who will benefit from the Affordable Care Act after delivering remarks about the launch of the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance marketplaces and the first federal government shutdown in 17 years in the Rose Garden

Washington Post: In Prince William County: ‘Is this Obamacare?’

…. Paula Thornhill was the first to apply in Prince William; she had heard about the program at her last appointment at the clinic, so she signed up for the first day possible. She has seven children, the oldest 14, the youngest 6-month-old Serenity. Her husband has health insurance through the printing company where he works as a cutter operator, but they couldn’t afford to cover her as well. “It’s hundreds of dollars a month,” she said.

“Is this Obamacare?” she asked. She had heard of it, but didn’t know much about it. But she was happy to hear about something that could provide insurance based on income. She’s hoping it’s not more than $50 a month.

She cuddled Serenity after signing up, and 2-year-old Daniel raced around the waiting area, giggling, while her mother-in-law filled out forms.

“I’m relieved that they did come out with this affordable health care,” she said. “I’m relieved.”

Full post here

The Courant: One Man’s Experience As Health Exchange Begins Enrollment: ‘It Made My Day’

Connecticut’s new health exchange opened for business Tuesday, and after getting around one of the expected glitches in the system, 30-year-old Brendan Mahoney of Hartford said signing up took him about 20 minutes.

Mahoney, a third-year law student at the University of Connecticut, said that by filling out the application online, he discovered he was eligible for Medicaid. So, beginning next year, he won’t pay any premium at all.

…. “Once it got running, it was fast,” Mahoney said. “It really made my day. it’s a lot like TurboTax.”

“If I get sick, I’ll definitely go to the doctor.”

More here

Eclectablog: OBAMACARE DAY ONE: My hideous experience

So, I got an email from my employer this morning. They went through what I’m assuming is the normal process of having the Department of Labor analyze the health insurance plan they offer to us, their employees.

The verdict: “affordable”.

I can keep my employer-based insurance. I can keep my doctors. I don’t need to go to Healthcare.gov to sign up for “government-run health care”.

Absolutely nothing changes for me.

Just. As. Advertised.

More here

President Obama heads back into the Oval Office with guests who will benefit from the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance marketplaces in the Rose Garden of the White House, October 1

Obamacare? It’s wonderful.

158 Responses to “Obamacare in Action”

October 1, 2013 at 5:21 pm

My turn, PBO>

2. 8 GGail
    October 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

There is a Rainbow today – it’s called the Affordable Care Act Rainbow or Obamacare for short :-)

3. October 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm

AND Chelsea demolished Bucharest in the Champions League!

4. 12 57andfemale
    October 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm
  5. 15 donna dem 4 obama
    October 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

photo/1

6. October 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm
  7. 23 57andfemale
    October 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thanks, Chips. I made the FP! I guess I will politely refrain from your 26-ish minutes being akin to my husband’s ‘five minutes’.

8. 33 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Mission Accomplished: The Tea Party Shutdown

By EJ Dionne

——————————————————–

It needs to be said over and over as long as this stupid and artificial crisis brewed by the Tea Party continues: Financing the government in a normal way and avoiding a shutdown should not be seen as a “concession.” Making sure the government pays its debt is not a “concession.” It’s what we expect from a well-functioning constitutional system. It’s what we expect from decent stewards of our great experiment. The extremists who have taken over the House do not believe in a normal, constitutional system. They believe only in power.

There’s a profound irony here, since no one talks more about the Constitution than the Tea Party. Before the Civil War, John C. Calhoun and a variety of nullifiers and future secessionists spoke incessantly about the Constitution, too. We know where that led.

——————————————————————-

9. 34 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm

MEDIA BLAMES ‘BOTH SIDES’ FOR GOP BAD BEHAVIOR

How The Press Helped Cause The GOP Shutdown

Years Of Bogus ‘Both-Sides-To-Blame’ Coverage Have Emboldened Radical Republicans

By ERIC BOEHLERT

———————————————–

What’s been clear for years is that the press clings to its preferred storyline: When Republicans obstruct Obama’s agenda, the president’s to blame for not changing the GOP’s unprecedented behavior. In other words, “both sides” are to blame for the GOP’s radical actions and the epic gridlock it produces.

The media lesson for Republicans? There’s very little political downside to pushing extremism if the press is going to give the party a pass.
    Do you see? The shutdown story is not about “Congress,” and it’s not about “Washington,” the favorite safe harbor phrases for too many journalists these days. The story at the time, as the AP correctly pointed out, was about how Republicans were trying to shut down the government and how Democrats were trying to stop that from happening. Period.

———————————————————

10. 38 MightyPamela
    October 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

So, I’m guessing there is no way MP could have stayed out of overage during times Iike these ~ just too, too much going on to miss any! Oh well, AT&T can thank PBO for it’s profits, again. ;) http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

11. October 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

You know I don’t like to boast about these things, but….. have just been followed by – :cool: – an egg with 0 followers who goes by the name of:

@NOoBAMacar_E

:lol:

12. 53 dotster3
    October 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Credit to tnmtngirl for this——hope she doesn’t mind that I’m taking the liberty of reposting her link——but I think it’s that good and should be widely read and shared.

13. October 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  14. October 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Looking at these marvelous pictures reminds me of my former Representative Dave Obey, who was prominent in the fight for ACA. And the Tea Party chaos in Wisconsin one of the primary reasons he did not run again. He did what was best for his country, not for his career. I’m thankful for the people that fought the good fight. His seat was taken over by Sean Duffy – no comparison!! Now the districts are so gerrymandered, Duffy is likely to remain a shoe-in. ~~Thanks to all of those who did what was right, not what was politic.

October 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Martha Plimpton’s timeline puts a smile on one’s face while one simultaneously wipes away a tear or two. Today really and truly is the dawn of a revolution in healthcare.

16. October 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

The interesting thing about the Quinnipiac poll we’re all over the moon about: it was taken BEFORE the shutdown. And the numbers were horrible for the GOP, including that generic ballot. Now with the shutdown in effect, expect intimations of another wave election, in Dems’ favor.

17. 61 Linda
    October 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Hundreds of people seeking Social Security cards were turned away Tuesday from the agency’s Minneapolis regional office as the metro area began to feel the impact of the broad federal shutdown.

Benefits will be continued to be paid out but “anything else is not essential,” said Ismail Mohamed, manager of the of the card center at the Minneapolis Social Security office.

He estimated that between 600 and 700 people show up at the office every day to replace a lost Social Security card or get a new one.

“I’m upset,” Darnelle Cousin, 29, who came to replace a lost card. “We should at least be able to get a Social Security card.’

Marcus Huff, 42, of Pine River, Minn., said he lost his card, and was told over the phone by Social Security to go to the Minneapolis office 60 miles one way.

He arrived Tuesday morning to find the Card Center door locked. “ I feel very, very inconvenienced,” he said.

18. 62 globalcitizenlinda
    October 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Oops, in the thrill of the ObamaCare enrollment launch I forgot say a formal thank you to a POTUS, his team and other Dems who are making the moment possible.

19. 63 globalcitizenlinda
    October 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm
  20. 64 donna dem 4 obama
    October 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm

The Maryland Connect website had access issues due to high consumer traffic on the site but there was a tremendous amount of interest to sign up for Health Insurance today.

• October 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Excellent, thank you Donna, added to the post!

• 66 donna dem 4 obama
        October 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

There are so many great things happening with this enrollment today. I would be lying if I didn’t say that when I woke up to the realization of the shutdown I just wasn’t sure how people would react to the open enrollment. I’m glad that my fears were proved wrong. Reading so many peoples postings on Twitter and Facebook about being able to get Health Insurance today has certainly warmed my heart!

21. 67 donna dem 4 obama
    October 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm
  22. October 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I tried calling the local office of my Republican congressman, Charlie Dent, because you can get more time for your message phone (and actually get a phone answered) at the regional offices. Told the guy on the phone I wanted it recorded that I was outraged at the shutdown and furious that Republicans in Congress care so little about the lives of real people. He told me that some of the moderate congressmen are still trying to get a vote on a clean CR. I told him trying was not enough. They had to fight hard to get it done. I got the feeling Dent was getting worried at the hornet’s nest the R’s had stirred up because the negative phones calls were coming in from Republicans as well as the rest of us. I’ve e-mailed everyone I know, asking them to call the local number so that the volume really spikes. Fear is a great motivator and some of these guys are feeling the heat. Anger is also a good motivator for Democrats. While 2014 is a year away, 2013 elections are very near and we have governorships at stake in Virginia and New Jersey, plus lots and lots of local races. Now’s the time to stir up Democratic anger against Republicans and get them to take out their frustration at the polls. Nothing will scare the R’s faster than seeing an increase in Dem turnout this year.

• October 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Well done Jackie.

I just finished speaking to a staffer in Congresswoman Rogers (CD 5, WA State, Bright Red District) – not our CD – and explained that shutting down the government to keep people from having access to affordable care was at the near top of the list of the cruelest stunts I’ve seen Congress do in my lifetime. The staffer was very pleasant and appreciated that I was quite gentle with her. I also said ‘I imagine you are receiving a bunch of very aggressive messages’ and she chuckled and said ‘Yep.’ So, I think more than a few Rs are really upset.

• 70 lulu
      October 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Good for you. :)

23. 71 57andfemale
    October 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm

All of the ACA stories today are making me remember things I haven’t thought about in years. When my husband went into business for himself shortly after we got married, the first thing I did was find us health insurance. A year and a half later I ended up in the hospital with an asthma attack that almost killed me. We’d moved into an apartment where cats had lived. I thought it was just allergies, but it had turned into asthma. I was in the hospital at death’s door for three days.

My husband said reassuringly, “At least we have health insurance. I’ll leave you here for awhile so I can go make some money. But you just relax – we’re covered.” At that terrifying time, it was such a comfort.

BCBS denied the claim. “No one gets asthma as an adult.” I was glad Hubby had work to deliver -we were going to need it to pay my hospital bill.

I realized today that I lost a big peace of my well being after that, a stress that has plagued me these last 30 years. Because even though we maintained health insurance until it became totally unaffordable as my husband neared Medicare age, it never covered my asthma or anything to do with my lungs. It took years to find the right doctor, the right medications. Currently I pay out-of-pocket about $6,000/year. And that’s to stay healthy. A hospital stay would bury us.

In a few days when healthcare.gov calms down and I can create an account, I will be able to take control of my life, my stress, my health. I will regain that peace of mind that the insurance company took from me 31 years ago.

I’m not a dramatic example. I have asthma, high blood pressure, a little arthritis. Nothing serious. I’m 63 years old. I don’t know if there’s anything else wrong with me, frankly. But I’m fairly certain I don’t have colon cancer or something worse. I’m just looking forward to being able to take control of my health again.

Thanks, Obama.

• October 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm

OMG, but you are another great example of why this is so important. Having choice to be healthy and live your life with this kind of security.

• October 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm

“I’m just looking forward to being able to take control of my health again.”

Yes, 57. That is the amazing grace of #ObamaCare.

• 74 theo67
      October 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

This is a great story, 57. You should write a note to President Obama and Nancy Pelosi.

• 75 99ts
      October 1, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hi 57 – My husband got asthma diagnosed at age 55 – he may have had it sooner – but who knows? – What a completely stupid comment from a health fund – and they call govt health care insurance a “death panel” .

I find it impossible to understand the GOP members in the USA – to agree with Bobfr – stopping people getting health care is a cruel stunt – I would charge them with attempted murder.

I’m sorry the rush to enroll is slowing your application – I look forward to hearing all about your coverage when you have it sorted.

• 76 Judith Fardig
      October 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Please share with OFA if you haven’t already! Be well!

24. October 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm
  25. 78 globalcitizenlinda
    October 1, 2013 at 5:59 pm

When you juxtapose these two videos:

- the video of the Discover Channel Documentary about the final moments leading to the passage of ObamaCare (one Ms. Chips highlighted yesterday);

and

- the video above of the lady ObamaCare beneficiary giving PBO a hug outside the Oval Office;

you can understand why PBO said that :

“passing health care was the best day of his public service .. … because you run and hopefully win elections to do something not to be something” (taking quote from memory so it is not exact word for word)

Yes, to many millions, PBO has done something and those beneficiaries can represent us well

• 79 cluny
      October 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Yes – that’s so true. They are both very moving pieces of film. I always cry when I watch the clip from the Pete Souza documentary and I was very emotional watching that woman and PBO hug because you can see that as she goes down the line and approaches PBO she is initially being respectful and careful not to intrude into his personal space but then the magnitude of what it means to finally have decent, affordable healthcare overwhelms her and she just lets loose and shows POTUS how she really feels. And the close up of his face is wonderful – so happy that he has really made such a profoundly positive difference to this woman’s life. Ahhh, what a great day.

26. 81 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm

James E. Clyburn ‏@Clyburn 22m

————————————————

The ACA is beginning to end what MLK called the “most shocking and inhumane” inequality – injustice in health care.

Retweeted by LOLGOP

———————————————————-

27. 84 globalcitizenlinda
    October 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm

while I was reading through Martha Plimpton TL (of course I followed her immediately), I saw a message that she sent out which said something like:

“If you compare ACA (ObamaCare) to slavery, will be blocked immediately, no questions”

maybe she has received information from some of the “eggs” that have been trying to troll the “blog tyrants” here and Tweeter Bridage

28. 86 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm

MUST SEE: Elizabeth Warren Blasts GOP Attacks On Women, Science And The Economy

——————————————

“Republicans have decided that the single most important issue facing our nation is to change the law so that employers can deny women access to birth control coverage,” she said. “In fact, letting employers decide whether women can get birth control covered on their insurance plans is so important that the Republicans are willing to shutter the government and potentially tank the economy over whether women can get access to birth control in the year 2013 — not the year 1913 — the year 2013.”

————————————————–

29. October 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm

So, because I’m a blog tyrant at TPV, I can read posts as they’re being written. Spandan is working on a piece on the former leftwing ACA bashers now getting on the bandwagon. And he has a link to a story (which I won’t link here) by that doughty supporter of ponies and public options, nyceve, on DKos. Now all those bastards will say “Yes, I remember when it passed in the House and Senate. It brought a tear to my eye.”

30. 95 globalcitizenlinda
    October 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

something is bothering me:

may be I have missed these but have any of you received some of these communications that different liberal groups send out demanding action of some sort?

the ones that bother me most are those that typically begin with : “Tell Obama, not to cave to ……. “.

Yes these notes usually don’t include his title and more often than not .

In addition, they are claiming PBO has said things (or is going to do things) that he has not even said. Often these accusations are from “a source” or based on nothing all together (expect their lack of understanding about PBO).

Based on that history here is what is bothering me:

given how quickly some liberal groups are quick to turn around notes demanding PBO do something, have any of you received any petitions yet about the GopShutdown and demanding that the Weeper of the House do ……

I would expect many of these to be coming into my communication hub given the huge impact that this shutdown is having on so many people

• 96 lulu
      October 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

The only mailing list/communications I receive is from OfA. If you don’t mind me asking, what organizations are the communications from?

• 97 theo67
      October 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I used to get a lot of these emails from MoveOn.org. I sent them back nasty emails telling them that I fully support the President and don’t want to hear from them or their misinformation campaign. After a few tries, they finally stopped contacting me.

• 98 dotster3
      October 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have huge lists of emails coming in every hour—–they are all money pleas. Other than OFA and PBO, I just delete, delete, delete.

• 99 MightyPamela
      October 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Some of them will not unsubscribe you no matter how many times you unsubscribe. Have found if I drop them into SPAM a couple times, soon the server starts moving them there. Move.on is one of the worst, IMO.

October 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Keep talking shyte on CSPAN, GOP, and reveal your true agenda and even the decrepit media can’t deceive the people about.

Please Proceed, GOP….

32. 103 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

The Profoundly Bad Faith of the Obamacare Critics

By Alec MacGillis

——————————————————-

Schadenfreude is unavoidable in our hyper-partisan time. Still, the level of cynicism on view today is pretty startling. A bunch of anonymous officials in Washington and dozens of states spent the past several years working frantically to ready a system that will, if it works, extend health insurance to more than 30 million Americans. It remains to be seen if they’ll reach their destination—the car’s having some engine trouble out of the gate. And the guys who poured shellac thinner into the gas tank are hiding behind the bushes, laughing their heads off, stifling their guffaws. Hilarious, guys. Hilarious.

——————————————————

33. October 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  34. October 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  35. 106 dotster3
    October 1, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Just an observation—–I love pandas as much, or more, than most. But I thought it was interesting that almost every single news outlet chose to feature the loss of the panda cam first and foremost re. the casualties of the shutdown. Before. or instead or, any mention of the hardship on people whose jobs and paychecks are furloughed.

• 107 theo67
      October 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Every day, the media reveals their true agenda. It’s got nothing to do with educating the public. It’s a propaganda machine, and their mission is to demoralize, misinform and disengage the public. But, they’re losing.

• 108 99ts
      October 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm

And the folks who can’t access the government services they need – and the folks who have to work without being paid. The media is worried about panda pictures – they should all the stood down – the sooner the better,

36. 109 lulu
    October 1, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for all of the great tweets, articles and quotes on the first day of ACA exchanges. As upset I am about the tea-party/republican led shutdown, I’m happy that this program is up and running and that people are now getting a chance to benefit from the program.

37. 110 JER
    October 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm
    October 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Wow..I knew that Ari Fleischer was a dolt, but he hits a new low with this one

39. October 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm
  40. 117 lulu
    October 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm

For our federal employees/families etc, how are you guys doing? I just found out that my org is also feeling the effects of the shutdown. We rely on federal grants for various programs-like shelter grants, rental assistance etc, without this money coming through, I don’t know what we’re going to do. Clients (not just of my org, but all of over Cook County) are relying on these programs to help them pay rent, pay back electric bills etc, so they don’t end up on the street, without this money, I’m not sure what’s going to happen.

41. October 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm
  42. 119 Ladyhawke
    October 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm

House Republicans suggest government a la carte

By Steve Benen

———————————————-

Plan A was for the House to pass a spending measure that gutted the Affordable Care Act, which the Senate could then clean up and send on to the White House. Plan B was the House bill to go ahead and defund the health care law and dare the Senate to pass it. Plan C was the House bill to delay health care benefits for a year and dare the Senate again.

Plan D was a half-hearted House Republican effort to embrace budget talks that House Republicans spent six months avoiding. And Plan E is, well, kind of silly.

———————————————-

43. October 1, 2013 at 6:49 pm
  44. 122 africa
    October 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Hi everybody. I am so glad to see Obamacare doing its thing. I have been lurking on and off today. But sadly, I have had a most heart rending day. My dog died around 5 a.m Central time today. We have been together for more than 10 years. He was a loyal friend. We got him at the pound and he instantly became a member of the family.

I did not work today. Just laid on the couch most of the day.

45. 134 donna dem 4 obama
    October 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

This is too good!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. October 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  47. October 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm
  48. October 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    • 141 dotster3
      October 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Jimmy Kimmel’s man on the street interviews were revealing. Almost everyone said they preferred ACA over Obamacare. I think what it revealed is that we are a nation of uninformed dummies. Sadly.

• October 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I just now watched that clip. What a bunch of idiots, really. It’s LA but surprised that all of them were that stupid, unless they just cherry-picked the dummies.

• October 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Well, I’m sure Kimmel chooses the most idiotic responses because, after all, it is a comedy show.

• 144 lulu
        October 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm

That reminds me of the anecdote POTUS mentioned about that man from KY who signed up for “KentuckyCare” (the name of ACA in KY) and who overheard saying, ‘this, is way better than Obamacare…’

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I do believe that as more and more people sign up for the program, people will even eventually understand that KentuckyCare, ACA, Obamacare are all the same.

• 145 Nena20409
      October 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Hey, hey, hey…..Love it ;)

• 148 nospin
      October 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm

thanks Chips I do love PO however… I was hoping for a “Chipstick’s Special” with the kitchen sink included and a side order of Mankini Newt. lololol No one can do it like you do Chips. :-)

Because I am having such an amazing day, I wanted to share the attached link to Elizabeth Warren kicking butt and taking no prisoners in defense of Obamacare and the GOP idiocy.

• October 1, 2013 at 8:00 pm

“I was hoping for a “Chipstick’s Special” with the kitchen sink included and a side order of Mankini Newt.”

Scampering away to find Newt pic.

Thank you for the Elizabeth Warren video, Nospin, looooooooove her!!

Hope you’re having a great day – happy birthday again.

49. 150 Eveingeorgia
    October 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I tried to watch Chris Matthews. Had to click off when he started trying to suggest a way that the president could compromise. He really shreds my nerves.

• 151 Nena20409
      October 1, 2013 at 7:34 pm

He is a sellout. He is pimping a Reagan/O’Neill book as the best form of Compromise.

Matthews is the worst kind of a flip flopper.

• 152 Lovepolitics2008
        October 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Enough already with the Reagan/O’Neill comparisons. O’Neill was a democrat and democrats ARE MATURE ENOUGH to deal with losing a presidential election.

Republicans have much more difficulty with the concept of “compromise”. The conservative mind is less open, more fearful; that leads to political “tribalism”. Throughout american history, conservative groups have been at the root of the vast majority of political and social “crises” (and scandals too).

50. October 1, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Sinclair Lewis famously said, “when fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross.”

****************

they now inhabit the Congress…

I hope and pray that there is serious strategy being worked on to get these people out of office…

There will be an OFA rally tomorrow here in Germantown., Philadelphia….

The irresponsible choices of a group of congressional Republicans is hurting hard-working Americans and our economy as it continues to recover from the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. This recklessness is beneath what Americans expect from their elected officials, and they’ve rightly had enough.

Can you attend?

WHO: OFA volunteers and other concerned community members

WHAT: OFA Government Shutdown Grassroots Action Event

WHERE: Philadelphia Veterans Admin Office, 5000 Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19144

WHEN: 12:00 – 1:00