Oct

coup d’état: koch brothers are warlords

COUP D’ETAT: KOCHS ARE WARLORDS

I have lived through 5 coups d’état. I know a coup d’état when I see one. USA is living through one right now as we speak. A Coup doesn’t have to have guns (yet) and a military takeover of power to be one.

A nation is manipulated through a series of fiendishly planned rolling crises. Inchoate mass fear grows but its targeting is skillfully re-directed toward infighting, such that it becomes diffuse and rather impotent against the actual instigators. Trust for government and national institutions grows rancid.

Then a messiah runs to the rescue, suspends the constitution, promises to get rid of “waste, fraud, & abuse.” Says the abrogation of said Constitution is only “temporary.” Commandeers media to support “the people” in their new “Freedom, Liberty, Fraternity”. Flag and anthem totems resurge in fresh parades glorifying the mother/fatherland. Power has been seized. Resistance is futile.

My native country went 5 times through this familiar choreography in its first 24 years after independence from colonial rule. Western Scholars of “the Third World” posited that these upheavals were the result of societies that had yet to build:

1. Strong Democratic governing institutions, rather than strongmen
2. Consensus of the governed
3. A national Identity rather than ethnic loyalties
4. An educated ruling elite that creates mechanisms for distributing political power efficiently among different constituencies
5. Capitalist ethos that productively harnessed and competitively rewarded the nation’s talents
6. Rule of Law and a Constitution that balanced majority rule with protecting minority rights

Well then, so why is the good old USA, the “oldest democracy” hurtling toward the fissures that cause a FAILED STATE, ripened for a coup d’état? It is no hyperbole to identify all the symptoms of a coup d’état in the making, from the GOP hostage taking underway.

***

Fareed Zakaria

***
No 2, “Consensus of the governed” is a key linchpin in how a Democracy works. But it also the weakest link in the components of a functioning Democracy. In the founding of this country a lot of quill pens were nubbed in structuring how this republican form of government would function democratically without giving all power DIRECTLY to the governed for 2 reasons. First, fear of mob rule and secondly, the dissolution of a fragile union of disparate states.

However, the Insurrection Act of 1807,  whose limits Abe Lincoln would strain 54 years later during the Civil War, also limited the power of the Federal government to act to quell rebellions. Power devolved to the States, and following Reconstruction, the passage of Posse Comitatus in 1878  pretty much tied federal government’s hands.

_____________________
“Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both”

_________________

Fast forward more than a century and new challenges test the applicability of the Insurrection Act. In the aftermath of 9/11 and Katrina debacle, Bush got congress to tinker with Insurrection Act to allow the government to act in the event of terrorists operating within the US, and natural disasters. The definition of terrorist of course only related to Foreign agents. However in 2008, those expansions in the law were repealed and it reverted to the 1807 law.

What this means is that if there IS domestic rebellion that threatens the very security of this country, the only authorities who can directly act are State governors deploying National Guard, not Federal government. So here we are with independent warlords, like Koch brothers, Art Pope, and the many billionaires who have purchased themselves federal, state and local legislators, often in collusion with State governors and legislatures threatening to dissolve the constitutional power of the Federal government. And the Federal government can’t fight back.

This isn’t your grandpa’s coup d’état, but instead a cross between Taliban insurrection and old-fashioned revolutionista capture of federal power. That is the weakness in the idea of the “consent of the governed”. There is nothing to prevent factions of said governed from threatening the well-being of the rest of the people, nor the integrity of national sovereignty as well as full faith and credit of the United States. We have a constitutional crisis on our hands that goes way beyond the particulars of this Republican hostage-taking over the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare).

As we found out yesterday in New York Times report, nefarious agents provocateurs have deliberately probed the weak links in our constitution that relies on patriotic consent, rather than enforced adherence or compulsion, to plot the dismantling of the very same structure of our constitutional government. They are abusing the protections afforded a political minority to heist raw power with impunity.

First, like an opportunistic disease the Kochs took over the Republican party completely and ravaged its innards, and implanted the suicide caucus, plus a choir of well-heeled local luminaries in towns and red states to enact their agenda. Now they have used their bought national pols to enact phase 2 of their planned disbanding of constitutional rule, damn the consequences save their narrow greed.

***

So why destroy America? What America? The warlords of Somalia in the aftermath of Siad Barrre’s ouster in 1992 provide a clue. They have no use for the notion of sovereign state with obligations to the people. The Kochs just want the spatial USA as a staging ground for their Bircher dystopia, not the sovereign country governed by it’s restraining ‘Constitution, and certainly not the people within it that they consider undesirable.

Folks we have to take this Koch threat seriously. Many of us have seen this menace on a comparatively smaller scale and it is not to be trivialized. They already showed us what that dystopia will look like. It’s the Ryan Social Darwinist budget unfettered.

***

Pres. Obama warned us in April 2012:

PS: I must give mad props to BobFr  @our4thEstate. He has been relentless in alerting us about the long history of a faction of US population itching to finish the unfinished business (in their view) of the Civil War.Please re-read his posts and Tweets. Thanks Bobfr.

133 Responses to “coup d’état: koch brothers are warlords”

1. 16 MightyPamela
    October 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

PBO

2. 17 Nena20409
    October 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

COS and MightyPamela……Congrats for being #1

3. 18 Bill R.
    October 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

• 20 utaustinliberal
      October 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Freaking awesome.

• 21 MightyPamela
      October 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm

:lol: and I am one of them!!

• 23 amk for obama
      October 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I don’t remember if I mentioned this before here. They made the mistake of mandatory registration when the opened up the health care website. They should have allowed people to see all options freely without having to go through the pita of registration. Registration should been optional. Whoever designed that feature should be fired.

• 24 globalcitizenlinda
        October 8, 2013 at 6:51 am

someone mentioned it here – I don’t recall who.

have you considered sending your suggestion to the relevant authorities – remember the programmers are updating the site every day during off-peak hours

• 25 amk for obama
          October 8, 2013 at 8:18 am

I don’t know whom to send to. Sending to PBO and rest of his team doesn’t make sense, what with their present fire-fighting

4. 26 Nena20409
    October 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Zizi2 I have not read all you have posted. I will finish reading tomorrow. Brilliant. Fantastic. Thank you. Wow.

5. 27 MightyPamela
    October 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Zizi, I am blown away by this article. Thank you. We must all take a stand, Together. With our President.

October 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This is excellent, zizi – and mighty scary.

October 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Zizi, I have just started to read your post, and I have to say the ‘yet’ beside guns stopped me cold. My only thought was – please don’t even mention that ‘g’-word, because that is not an unlikely possibility in this gun-crazy nation. I’m taking a deep breath, shaking that thought/fear off and going back to what I know will be some serious reading.

October 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Great piece Zizi!

October 7, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Excellent zizi. As Bob has been saying all along, it’s a Coup d’Etat alright. And the now rich fourth estate are eager participants in it.

October 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Excellent article, zizi. Right now, these terrorists see PBO as the biggest impediment to their goal of destroying the government completely. We need to get the MSM to understand this is not a game – I think some of them are just beginning to get it…

October 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

OMG – Does anybody have a platinum tweet frame?

12. 67 a4alice
    October 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

ZiZi this is such a great piece – this is exactly what I’ve been watching you and Bob talk about. Thanks for writing this!

13. 68 LDS
    October 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Zizi, it was well worth the wait.
    I see why all the jump starts happened……..
    Thank you for pressing FOWARD. For that, we are truly blessed.

14. October 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Zizi, this is a brilliant article, which chillingly outlines the horror of our current crisis. All the traditional means of fighting–calling reps, protests, petitions and massive pressure seem almost pathetic in this diabolical scheme. The overwhelmingly vast majority of Americans do not and will not understand the magnitude of the danger. Nor do they have any idea how to act, if they do. The media has been bought and paid for. We’re beginning to see some people get it and there are a few, like Schumer, who are publicly discussing the long-term scheming for this shutdown, but there is going to have to be some massive wake up before Americans in general get it. Then they will have to vote in numbers never seen before. I wish I could see some light at the end of this tunnel.

• 70 globalcitizenlinda
      October 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

we will succeed! the people’s efforts may look timid but we have to keep at it. let everyone we can know what is really going on

15. October 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm

GOOOOOO TODer JO’B!!!!

16. 73 4morefor44
    October 7, 2013 at 10:45 pm

zizi, talk about a call to “arms!” thanks for laying it out so clearly. a people united, can never be divided. president obama has understood this all along and developed his entire political career around it (organizing!), and it’s up to us to see it through. bobfr often talks about how we’re at the ‘endgame’ of the american civil war all these generations later, and that’s not hyperbole. for all of us, the civil war isn’t some history lesson – WE”RE LIVING IT RIGHT NOW! forward to victory!!!

October 7, 2013 at 10:50 pm

18. 79 anniebella
    October 7, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell in his rewrite just proved John Boehner to be a first class liar.

October 7, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I did that at breakfast this morning. (Kidding – just couldn’t resist! He “lies like a rug,” as we used to say when we were kids.)

• 81 Ladyhawke
      October 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm

THERE ARE 217 VOTES IN THE HOUSE FOR A CLEAN CR

I have not watched Rachel Maddow in months. But I caught her show tonight and she did a terrific segment on the fact that Speaker Boehner is not good at math (and essentially a liar when he says the votes are not there). She ticked through the number of Democrats and Republicans in the House who have said they would vote for a clean CR. The magic number is 217. What Boehner is doing criminal.

19. 82 Evelyn Glass
    October 7, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I agree

20. 83 yardarm756
    October 7, 2013 at 10:58 pm

This stuff is almost biblical and scary.

October 7, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Mme Zizi, I thank you lots for that PBO vid at the ‘end’ (I’m anticipating a Part II and Part III) of this segment. I confess I was a bit downhearted by the fact that the KOCHs and their minions seem to be making progress towards our doom, but seeing by the PBO cliip that he’s well aware of their subtext really lifted my spirits. If PBO sees where they are headed, I feel encouraged they won’t succeed in the final analysis. As we often say here, Barack H. Obama is president for ‘such a time as this’. I do not think any of the other candidates who ran would have had such a keen awareness of where the Republicans are trying to take the country.

Thank you for putting this together. I particularly appreciated the Fareed clip you included as I hadn’t seen it before.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm

thanks VC. Yes PBO is the president for times such as this. He knows their game.

October 7, 2013 at 11:11 pm

YVW – you do a great job pulling info together and informing and educating! Gets my brain working ffrom time to time. ;) Is there a Part II in the works?

• October 7, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Well, it’s such a depressing issue. I pray that we barrel through and defeat this menace. Then I’d be happy to write a “waxing historical” piece about the bad old days.

Seriously, let’s see what unfolds in the next few days, then I’ll write part II

October 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Yes, it IS depressing, which is why I was so tremendously heartened that you included the video showing PBO is savvy re their motives.

I’m very ‘okay’ with your decision. Thanks again

22. 89 a4alice
    October 7, 2013 at 11:02 pm

let’s make them notice. RT this thing s’il vous plait:

• 90 amk for obama
      October 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Go alice. RT’ed. Everyone one of us should send this to the corrupt media and hold their fucking feet to the fire.

October 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm

If the senate votes for a clean debt bill, the house can’t stop it? I don’t understand the arcane US procedures.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Sup, AMK! Hope all is well on the homefront? …………..BTW what’s going on with this Rahul Gandhi mess?

• 93 amk for obama
        October 7, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Hi lp. The Indian supreme court recently ruled that the pols convicted by court are not eligible to contest elections or continue to be a MP. Of course, all the corrupt pols from all parties got together (including Rahul’s congress pastry) and tried to ram through a bill that will negate the supreme court order. Rahul, just days before the bill coming into parliament, slammed his own party and supported the sc order. Since he is considered the next pm, if the congress party wins the next elections, the govt dropped the bill like hot potato. Like most Indians, I support Rahul Gandhi on this issue. Too many criminals and corrupt pols in our political system.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm

TY. I just saw all these links saying PM Singh should resign, because Gandhi has undermined him…. this was while he was w/ President Obama, before leaving back for India. I don’t know why the Congress party tried to pass that idiotic law allowing corrupted/previously arrested people to hold public office.

• 95 amk for obama
            October 7, 2013 at 11:32 pm

That’s because a bunch of them are corrupt. Manmohan Singh came in a with a clean image. That’s now in tatters given the billions of dollars (yes, dollars) worth corruption he allowed to happen under his watch.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Indeed……. he was considered the elder statesman with the economic expertise during the G-20’s following the recession in 09. President Obama always spoke highly of him (came and addressed Indian parliament), and in following years he has just seemed to lose touch.

24. 97 a4alice
    October 7, 2013 at 11:04 pm

nuts I gotta go to bed

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Nite TOD

25. 99 Slick9
    October 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Zizi2 akpeh nah lo – I know of what you speak, I too have lived through some of those same coups and a couple others in other parts of W. Africa. You nailed the pattern on the head. I rest easy though because like good old Abe, this president is a man of world – wise to the ways of the traitors in our midst.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Wow, you spoke my language. How did you know :D. Yep you do know the drill

• 101 Slick9
        October 8, 2013 at 6:03 am

I remember you posting about a year ago that “akpeh” was thank you in your language. Incidentally, at the time I was on my way home to the good old Volta Region (Peki) for my dad’s funeral, and made it back with a day to spare to vote for President Obama. My parents had and still have a nice big Obama 2012 bumber sticker on thier car and I saw a few others as I drove around Accra. Keep up the excellent enlightening posts.

October 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

From “MotivationalBiden” ~ so funny!

October 7, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Here are the top 10 recipients (in $$$ contributions) of the Koch Bros….

Republican Governors Assn $3,120,900

Republican State Leadership Cmte -$250,705
    Republican National Cmte -$182,250
    National Republican Congressional Cmte -$144,050
    National Republican Senatorial Cmte -$137,812
    Pompeo, Mike -$110,000
    Romney, Mitt -$81,850
    Allen, George -$45,000
    Mourdock, Richard E -$38,500
    Mack, Connie -$33,500

• October 7, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Yup, follow the money. But it’s amazing how cheap the pols sell for. Kochs have been running their racket on pittance. That’s cuz their minions suck up to them, lay their bellies prostrate b/4 them. Same way Joe the Plumber lives vicariously in 1%er land, and does their bidding free of charge

• 105 amk for obama
        October 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Oh, I’m sure they get plenty of kickbacks with the boondoggle they bring to their districts.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

But that’s still pocket change compared to the billions Koch, Adelson, Pope et al have raked in during PBO’s presidency. Kochs made $9 billion this year. Adelson grew his net worth from $6 billion in 2008 to $26 billion in 2012. Talk about INGRATES!!

Like the consummate lottery-ticket binging grunt who dreams of becoming millionaire, so too the bought-politicians turn Koch groupies in the belief that the smell of billions will rub off on them. It’s abt getting their two-bit corrupt local deal while prancing about when they get on the Koch invite list.

Remember earlier this year when the Kochs had their retreat (at which we now know, they put the final touches to their war on America plans) and it became like an Oscar night with Cantor, Ryan, Jindal, & others strutting for cameras as if they were on the red carpet.

DISGUSTING!!!

October 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

The amounts reported are just direct cash donations – God alone knows how much the Koch brothers contributed to shady campaign ads and other “favors” that aren’t disclosed….

October 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm

October 7, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Not sure if this number were 100 that Boehner would go for a clean vote, either.

October 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm

October 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Late to the party, as usual! Now, as Bob Cesca mentions:

Meanwhile, the Boston Globe has the story on how conservatives met in private early this year and planned to shut the government down over Obamacare. Objecting to a budget conference 19 times since then makes a little more sense now.

They never had any intention of working this out. Zizi, terrifying post…coupled with TPV post tonight and I need to 1) Drink more 2) Hide under the sheets 3) Get even MORE pissed off at my rep that fits this to a tea (party)! VOTE THEM OUT!!!

zizi…I was touched that Slick9 spoke to you in your native tongue. I got a little teary. We are a global community here, to be sure:)

• October 7, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thanks DF. I’m sorry I frightened the bejeezuz out of you. The important thing to remember is these wackos CAN be defeated. My country recovered from the bouts of coups to the point where we’ve had 21 years now of constitutional rule and are considered “beacon of democracy” on the continent. Point of my diary is to sound the clarion that these people are not ignoramuses. They have a very nefarious agenda. And we need to expose it in full glare. Then we can fight them tooth and nail

• October 8, 2013 at 6:15 am

The important thing to remember is these wackos CAN be defeated….

***************************

Extraordinary and gut wrenching analysis of the state of affairs of our country…I am glad that you see we can defeat the forces that would destroy us….

October 7, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I’m not interested in this story, but the sign out front is worth the price of admission (“Members of Congress charged 10% more”):

• 116 carolyn
      October 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I agree with the author of this op-ed. It’s not Washington that’s crazy, it’s the crazy people the crazy people send there! I love it that she calls the elected people “wackos”……so true. I lived in D.C., and loved D.C. The people who actually LIVE there are great….it’s the fly-ins who have no vested interest who are the problem.
      D.C. needs total self-governance and at lest one voting member of Congress, not a “delegate.”
      Well, I’m tired too, and morning classes will come soon!

33. 117 Vicki
    October 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

To Zizi and Bobfr. This post was so comprehensive and terrifying, Zizi. A beautiful job on a dreadful subject.
    Everything you say about our current state is true.
    Each day more of the puzzle pieces fall into place for me and I hope to have Bob tell me I am overreacting—gettting it wrong somehow.

The Koch’s are warlords and I’m pretty sure you can say that about Goldman Sachs too if you consider the private army they maintain.

Not to mention the militarization of our city police. Occupy Wall Street, a few blocks from where i live was surreal. I’m referring to the noise tanks mounted on trucks and the way way way way crazy amount of officers on horseback on motorcycles in vehicles of every description too numerous to be believed. I thought then that the overwhelming show of force was a rehearsal for something very wicked this way comes.

I will be watching for and reading whatever you guys and all the rest of the very smart posters here at TOD have to say.

• October 7, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Thanks Vicki.
      No you are not overreacting. But we need to be fully clued in to their strategy. The GOP critters may be bumbling idiots, but their Koch paymasters are not. Next we defeat them!

October 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

October 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm
    October 7, 2013 at 11:47 pm

37. 128 rikyrah
    October 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

zizi,
    You rock . My word……you are awesome and educational.
    Thank you.
    I will spread the word

38. 130 Vicki
    October 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I am not sure we should be comforted if the polls say the American people are holding the GOP responsible for the shutdown.
    The GOP no longer cares what the people think or want. They know they’ve lost our votes. They will do what benefits them without pretending that anything else matters.
    Warlords indeed.

39. 131 MightyPamela
    October 7, 2013 at 11:57 pm

2x tied for 1st, 1x almost tied and a confirmation on my OBAMACARE!! It has been a stellar day! Btw, I have been meaning to say, back in 1861, the Internet was not even a dream in anyone’s subconscious – the crusty old rich whiteys may have money, but WE THE PEOPLE have the POWER of communicating with millions all around the world in nanoseconds. PBO can carry on a conversation with 36+ million people throughout the course of a day. It will not be as easy for them as they expected, despite all their well-laid decades of planning.

40. 132 sjterrid
    October 8, 2013 at 4:27 am

Thank you, Zizi for this incredible analysis.

41. 133 globalcitizenlinda
    October 8, 2013 at 7:13 am

great work! finished reading it for the nth time