Oct

Boehner Won’t let House GOP meet Pres Obama because he Fears Baltimore Massacre 2.0

by @zizii2

A quick trip down memory lane. Democrats had suffered a crushing blow on no other day than the 1st Anniversary of Pres Obama’s Inauguration into office. Jan 20, 2010. We had lost Sen Ted Kennedy’s seat. The fate of the Healthcare bill hung in a balance. It had passed the House earlier in December 2009. The Senate version passed in a cliffhanger moment with ailing WV Senator Robert Bird being wheeled in, and Sen Sherrod Brown flown in by WH straight from a funeral, to cast the critical filibuster-proof vote just a breath before Christmas Day 2009 rolled in, and start of congressional winter recess.

But come January 2010, the two bills needed to be reconciled. On this anniversary date, Scott Brown trounced Martha Cokeley in the MA senate special election. Democrats’ threadbare 60 filibuster-proof caucus, gone. Healthcare reform teetered on brink of collapse. Many Very Serious People in the Beltway, pundits and Democrats told the President to give or radically scale back his Healthcare quest. Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel read him the “Political-Implications-Riot-Act.” WH was in a deep funk.

Then came the Republican House’s grand invitation to Pres Obama visit their caucus retreat in Baltimore, MD. They probably wanted to humiliate the president for his recent loss, through fake chivalry.

WH RSVPed with one tiny request, whose acceptance a House GOP member later said was the biggest mistake they ever made. Pres Obama had asked to bring camera crew along.

First were his opening remarks calling for both parties to work together:

There’s a reason that the 1 hr 20 minute Q&A section that followed these opening remarks shook the Beltway political universe, prompting media calls for British-style “Prime Minister’s question Time” tradition to be established here in the US, to engender real dialog among political parties. Of course GOP rejected the idea and it fizzled. But for many Democrats, what became known as The Baltimore Massacre, would be grist for partisan loremaking. One man. 183 GOP congresscritters & their families. (Sinews taut). Room darkened, spotlight on POTUS against black curtained backdrop. T’was like oratory in a theater. No notes. Brilliance extempore.

However, there is a segment key to the subject of this essay; that President Obama foresaw exactly the predicament that Republicans would be in now, incapable of saying “Yes” to anything he proposes, offers or agrees with them on, that they become convulsed contortionists.

***

Rep Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) had asked Pres Obama why he won’t take GOP (harebrained) plans on healthcare reform. He patiently tried to explain to her that Democrats HAD included many Republican ideas into the healthcare bills if they were objectively shown to be workable. But the critical point he made was that their reflexive rejection of anything he’s proposed including personal demonization of him, was going to hurt them in the long run.

***

So, 45 months ago President Obama predicted exactly to a T the current GOP Convulsions. We’ve seen this phenomenon play out over and over, but none of those prior occasions have been as dire as the shutdown we’re in the midst of and the looming economic catastrophe should we enter default.

Speaker Boehner, there is a way to retreat from that feeble ledge. President Obama WILL help you if you let him.

135 Responses to “Boehner Won’t let GOP House Meet Pres Obama Because He Fears Baltimore Massacre 2.0”

1. 1 carla4obama
    October 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Stay Strong Mr. President..the ride is going to get bumpy!

October 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Hey Zizi, I had the opportunity to read this when I looked it over for you to make sure it was formatted correctly and the videos showed when the play button is clicked. It’s a great piece and a great moment in time. Pres. Obama answering the GOP’s questions on live TV and showing the nation just how foolish and self-destructive they are, was fantastic.

October 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I have some catching up to do!

4. October 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Zizi, awesome thread. Thank you!

5. October 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Great post, Zizi! Congrats on first Carla :)

My favorite part of the GOP Baltimore retreat was when Mike Pence, then a congressman, came to the TV cameras and claimed that they had not agreed to the event being televised live!!!!! All the anonymous GOP aide quotes that followed were priceless. They got their asses handed to them in such a fashion, and were so embarrassed not only because President Obama schooled them, but their families were all sitting at the table with watching their parents sliced and diced.

• October 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm

And they’re even stupider now, after 2010 “tea party” wave.

Voters rejected the Senate loon candidates (Christine O’Donnell, Sharron Angel, Joe Wilson), but many congressional districts voted full-on loon.

6. 9 nospin
    October 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

“The entire exchange is worth spending time listening to again in its entirety just for the sheer thrill of watching President Obama glow in the den of the opposition.”

lolololol Zizi, Brilliant. I read that line and remembered as if it happened today. He did glow. Our president thrives in this type of environment. He has a gift of taking negative energy and turning it to positive energy for himself. love it. great job.

October 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Fantastic piece zizi – and excellent reminder of that special day in Baltimore almost four years ago! I agree that the GOP do not want another humiliation like the one they received back then. And this one might be even worse…

October 9, 2013 at 7:13 pm

9. October 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm

She is perhaps the most qualified Fed chair in history: Just look at the competition. When he was appointed chairman, Ben Bernanke’s only prior government service was three years on the Fed board and six months as chair of the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA). Alan Greenspan had three years as CEA chair. Yellen, by contrast, has served for three years as vice chair, headed up the San Francisco Fed for six years, ran the CEA for two years, and before that did a three year stint on the Fed Board of Governors. She also did a stint as an economist at the board in the late 1970s, for good measure. Only Paul Volcker — who had a multi-decade career at the New York Fed and the Treasury — even comes close to that, and he had nowhere near as much exposure to the highest echelons of the Fed system as Yellen has. If experience is your main criterion, Yellen is hard to beat.

Her husband will be one of the more interesting First Ladies/Gentlemen the Fed has ever seen: George Akerlof, Yellen’s husband, is a really accomplished economist in his own right. He shared the 2001 Nobel prize for his work on asymmetric information, and has written really interesting stuff on the financial crisis and banking regulation (particularly regulation in cases where the incentives of managers are misaligned with those of the firm – as was arguably the case at banks during the subprime debacle). ……. And much more

10. 20 QueensNY
    October 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I’m a faithful reader but never posted. Wanted the TOD family to know that I successfully accessed and completed my app in healthcare.gov (after several days of trying). My employer offers healthcare but I wanted to compare rates. I’m gonna go with my employer’s offering, although high deductible, because the premiums are lower. Nevertheless, it’s so great knowing that if I wanted to or had to make an employment change, I (we) have a way to be covered based on X salary. Know hope. GOBAMA!

11. 21 dotster3
    October 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I remember that event in Baltimore well. It was so delish—-a thing of pure beauty. It was laughable and delectable. It was so fun watching the master genius at work. It was such a no contest, a joy to behold.

• 22 COS
      October 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Maybe Abby Huntsman should review that video as a reminder that PBO doesn’t do anything “lackluster”. :) It was definitely a thin of beauty.

• October 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

As I type this, Ms Huntsman’s dad Jon and Dem Sen Evan
        Bayh from Indiana are co hosting a TV ad touting that
        tired “both sides are to blame” meme.

Evan Bayh is a Judas and a traitor to President Obama.

You dems from Indiana need to call this azz and give
        him a clue.

I will remember all those Dems that backstab PBO
        and those that that are virtually silent in their needed support.
        ( Including the “iinevitable” Hillary).

October 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Holy shit.

13. October 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Remind me again who is Commander-in-Chief?

• October 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Seems irresponsible of journalists to tweet that the Admiral was “fired.”
      how
      He was relieved of duty and reduced to two stars instead of three.

Humiliating for Adm Giardina and family, but he wasn’t fired.

One of our President’s first acts when he assumed a tanking economy in 2009 was to fire someone at one of the Detroit car companies. Can’t remember the person’s name or specifics now, but do remember the media’s response was first “He can’t do that!” to immediately forgetting about it and going on to report on various other Obama Adm. “failures.”

• 39 theo67
      October 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This will help end the culture of lawlessness that some have adopted. Those few end up being a black mark against the entire military. They have to know that zero tolerance means zero tolerance.

14. 40 globalcitizenlinda
    October 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Blitzer talking about ObamaCare website glitches misses the point – ACA is about getting access to affordable healthcare choices.

15. October 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm

16. 47 dotster3
    October 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I want to know this too. How in the world can we have a Sup. Ct. Justice whose wife is a big part of those planning and plotting to destroy our government?

• 48 COS
      October 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

They get away with it simply because they are Republicans and the MSM allows it. If they were Democrats, we would never hear the end of it. Republicans are bold with their lies because they know that they can get way with the lying and hypocrisy.

• October 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm

It is a bait and switch. Debt Ceiling affects their sugardaddies but they’re not budging on government shutdown. Their sole aim is to gut domestic spending. By releasing the Debt Ceiling hostage they aim to win PR points, such that the real pincer of starving the New Deal

17. October 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Polls are fun and can be important. But when journalists think the public is wrong, they have an obligation to say so.

A new Business Insider-SurveyMonkey Audience poll has found that Americans know shockingly little about the budget, federal deficits, and major top-line economic indicators. We asked about 500 respondents to write in an estimate of several different statistics, including the U.S. deficit.
    This year the Congressional Budget Office expects it to be $642 billion, down from $1.087 trillion in 2012. That’s the lowest it’s been in five years.

Does America realize that? Nope……

Public polls are a fine gauge of public opinion, but they’re not to be treated as a barometer of reality. Pretending otherwise mixes up the regurgitated misinformation of readers with the careful analysis of people who are in the business of busting misinformation.

If that’s not serving up false equivalence, what is?

• 53 theo67
      October 9, 2013 at 9:20 pm

The GOP (and their media puppets) believe that they can create alternate reality.They believe in the adage that “perception is reality”. They don’t realize (or they don’t care) that these things are not actually true. That just because they believe something, repeat it, convince other slow thinkers that it’s real – it doesn’t make it so.

October 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Excellent and timely memory, Zizi. A real pleasure to watch parts of it again – I remember how nervous I was going in, and how puffed up I was after. ;) I couldn’t see the ‘Let’s Work Together’ video from my location but that’s alright; I got the other. Thanks so much for remembering this and bringing it back to our attention

In all honesty, I have to confess that while I’ve always loved the President for the fact that *he* has always given his opponents a chance to save face, part of me is hoping he won’t let them save too much face THIS time. I’m feeling vicious, and thinking that this time he should just squish them in the dirt…..well…alright, maybe step on their toes….hard.

• 56 WilTal
        October 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

The republicans have had 4 years to do right by PBO. But no, they have fought him tooth and nail every step of the way. I am going to be a little harsher…I would like for PBO to stomp and squish them in the dirt and, after that, have them lick the dirt off of his shoes.

• 57 theo67
          October 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Brilliant. Maybe they should eat a little of that dirt, too?

October 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Oh-ho, WilTal, I just came back and saw that. :grin: I’m trying not to go there, for fear that his obliteration of them MIGHT taint my perception of him somewhat. I doubt it would because they’ve been such …. such …. ??, but I don’t want to take the chance. ;)

October 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

We have a bit of the :evil: in us, do we Jackie? :grin:

• October 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I think all of us agree with your last paragraph, but here’s the thing.
      No matter how crazy the GOP and their enablers the mainstream
      media gets, if and when the economy crashes and all things start
      going to hell, the American people as a whole—including members
      of his own party are going to come crying at his doorstep to do
      something.

The Tea party / GOP are relatively unknown and can hide out in the
      shadows when things go wrong.

But folks are going to pressure/ blame the face of the govt…and
      that face is The President.

President Obama got a sizeable share of the majority population’s
      vote in 2012, but if they start to personally suffer…..they will
      turn on him just like the TeaHats.

October 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I know. I know, Mike. (Don’t go making so much sense when I’m trying to gloat at the beautiful IMAGE of the GOP being squished to smithereens. :grin: )
        Fortunately for us all, Pres O included, he’s far smarter than I, sees much farther down the road and knows he can’t be vindictive because he does really have ‘the whole world in his hands’. This is after all the leader who warned the GOPs, on the occasion above, not to demonize opponents, as that is not a productive path forward.

• October 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Yeah..I have faith in President Obama also. I don’t know the man personally
          but I know I can trust him. I know he has morals and values.

I know this may sound crazy to some, but right now during these dangerous
          times, the only thing I am concerned with is the well being of this President.

I don’t care about the shutdown, the debt ceiling, the ACA or anything…I
          only care about how these things affect President Obama.

Why? Because I feel that if he “wins”, that means I win.

If he loses, we as a country will have lost big-time.

October 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

” Because I feel that if he “wins”, that means I win.

If he loses, we as a country will have lost big-time.”

Mike, I don’t know how ‘new’ you are to the TOD village, but I assure you that the majority of folks here feel exactly as you expressed in these words. In fact, it’s more than a feeling for us. It’s an unquestioned knowledge, knowledge stamped into the core of our being at some point along this journey.

October 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

^^^ What Mike said.

October 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

LMAO! BUT..but I thought Russia was such a great place – according to Snowjob himself and Greenwald…Whappened?!?!?!?

• October 9, 2013 at 8:08 pm

GG makes me sick.

Was it 57andFemale who coined “snowdenwald?”

Perfect description of GG the conspirator/instigator, in no way a “journalist.”

• 67 nospin
      October 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

“Greenwald told the senate committee that the US government uses spying in large part to gain economic advantages. It is about increasing the power of the American government,” Greenwald told senators, speaking in Portuguese. Greenwald said Snowden could more freely explain the US spying programme if he were in Brazil.

Brazilian government officials told Al Jazeera they were seeking to speak directly with Snowden via videoconference, and that they would be contacting Russian officials in that regard. The fallout over the spy programmes led Rousseff last month to cancel a planned visit to Washington, where she was to be the guest of honor for a state dinner.”

• 68 theo67
        October 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm

This Rousseff seems to be painting herself into a corner, by allowing herself to be seduced by Greenwald’s nonsense. She’s challenged the US, the Canadians – etc. I wonder if Brazil really doesn’t gather intelligence on any other countries or make use of information gathered. Can she really be that naive?

• 73 nospin
      October 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

another –

When the senators pushed him to provide the Brazilian government access to the leaked documents at his disposal, Greenwald balked. Greenwald’s partner, David Miranda, also appearing before the senators, added that the documents would not be given to the Brazilian government because it would be an “act of treason” .

20. 75 Allison
    October 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm

What did Wolf Blitzer say? Folks on twitter are mad at him. (Which isn’t unusual)

• 76 globalcitizenlinda
      October 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

he is arguing that since the roll of ACA has glitches, PBO should listen to the gop and postpone it another year. after all “there are many private healthcare choices/websites to choose from”

apparently he said that the US gov’t had 3 year to make sure there are no glitches so why not just postpone ACA “until they can get it right”

21. 79 Jovie
    October 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Here we go again and just couldn’t wait to leak it could she ?

Wtf ?

October 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm

This old witch Norton have some problem with the President, like Maxine Waters did.

October 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Now every news show will be seeking Norton to come on their show. But I’m sure POTUS showed Norton respect, maybe he should have call FLOTUS to handle Norton.

• October 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I don’t buy it. She’s concerned like everybody and according to the article it was exactly one lawmaker who described events that way. Nerves are a little frayed but she’s not a witch because of it.

October 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I wasn’t there so I can’t say for sure, but I have seen Ms. Norton before on tv with some words I didn’t care for. So did she carry on as reported? I would not rule it out. And I don’t like it if she did. Maybe I shouldn’t have call her a witch.

• 85 theo67
          October 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I hope you’re right. If it’s anything else – then it’s unforgivable. Showboating while the nation teeters on the precipice of economic disaster? Unforgivable.

October 9, 2013 at 8:08 pm

“According to a lawmaker who attended the event?” Who is that lawmaker? Alan Grayson? Maxine Waters? Charlie Rangel?

I think this is an exaggeration and WaPo is looking for a distraction. The president made his voice heard and stuck to his priniciples. Eleanor Norton has been raising a stink about the DC budget bill but she is saying that the DC budget should not be tied to the federal budget and thus should not suffer due to the shutdown.

• 87 japa21
        October 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I agree with her in that respect, the DC budget should be considered separate. Tying it to the Federal budget makes it very hard for DC officials to plan things out, including schools, etc. Remember, this is not necessarily Federal funds, at least not all of it, but Congress (read GOP) passed a law that it has to approve the DC budget.

• 89 theo67
        October 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Did she have to immediately go to a gala and gloat about taking an issue to the President, as stated in the article? Exposes something about this exchange, if you ask me.

• 90 dotster3
      October 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

GRRRRRRRR—”talked over Obama and refused to relinquish the microphone”—-and utterly clueless in asking PBO to go along with the Repubs’ piecemeal tactics.

• 91 theo67
        October 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

One can emphasize their point of view without disrespecting the other person – and in this case, the “other person” is the President of the United States, who has been disrespected by vile creatures from the right – and the left – since his presidency began. She, and whomever snitched to the media, had to know that this would get picked up by the media, and douse the highs from yesterday’s press conference. This just makes me so furious.

• 92 nospin
      October 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

doesn’t change a thing.

GOP Shutdown. Boehner has to allow a vote.

• 93 globalcitizenlinda
      October 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

she is wasting her time ;

PBO does not take kindly to people who are disrespectful – he will just ignore her demands

• 94 COS
      October 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Totally disrespect. Would she have done that to another President? She knows better. She is always bitching about something.

• 95 globalcitizenlinda
        October 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

her public statements about PBO are usually disrespectful & it just causes her to look like unprofessional

• October 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

She is from the 1960s professional-civil-right-cabal.
          They know better than to do that at the republican-
          big business table. They would be slapped down
          and ignored. There would be consequences.

They take their frustrations out on the President.

22. 97 dee
    October 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I still have this “massacre” on DVR. it a was site to behold! MS Norton is a heifer.

23. 98 globalcitizenlinda
    October 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm

great job Zizi!

thank you for this reminder – it is a gem!

I recall that day and how I felt about PBO

PBO said something like: I am really enjoying myself

24. October 9, 2013 at 8:08 pm

What the hell! She should be over at Boehner’s office reading him the riot act, not the President.

• 100 globalcitizenlinda
      October 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm

we need to let her know our thoughts;

Eleanor Holmes Norton is one of those members of the CBC who are scared of republicans but attack PBO

• 102 theo67
      October 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

We’re celebrating memories of the Baltimore Massacre, while one of our own Dems is disrespecting the President over a city issue – while he’s trying to rescue the entire global economy? Outrageous.

25. October 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm

“Must read” is an internet cliche, but this truly is a must read.

Print it out and tuck it in your purse/planner for easy access when you randomly encounter loud naysayers (like FayPax and GGail did yesterday — link provided below).

To whet your appetite, the article (aka “rant”) included this chart:

Here’s FayPax and GGail’s discussion.

It’s good to know what the general public think about the GOP tanking our economy. Remind people that Congress holds the purse strings; there is no “bill” for our President to sign. Also remind them that they are boss of the congresscritters, and if they’re unhappy about the situation to let their critter know now, and by casting their votes next year.

• 104 susanne
      October 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

since the deficit has been halved during pbo’s leadership (a deficit racked up entirely by shrub), and since obamacare is popular and has been approved repeatedly by voters, it’s just not clear what the rethugs in congress are trying to accomplish with this scorched earth tactic of shutting down the government. they can’t even argue that government is bad, because they keep voting on funding parts of it, and complaining the shutdown is a democratic ploy. if it’s spending they’re trying to attack, then why use the shutdown, which is costing more than actually running the government.

it begs the question, if the democrats were to toss boner a bone, what could it possibly be? reminds me of caring for a tired toddler, who will cry and rant no matter what comforts are offered. doesn’t know what he wants, but sure as heck won’t stop demanding it!

• October 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Deficit halved; exactly.

But MSM steadfastly refuse to acknowledge PBO’s truths (everything he says, except the misstatements that are errors on his part — he is human, after all — but no deliberate attempts to lie or conceal) and don’t question a single lie from the GOP.

I don’t know whether SCOTUS or MSM are more to blame for the pickle we’re in now.

• October 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I was talking to someone at work today who was appalled at the way the veterans were getting treated with the shutdown, as well as the cuts in head start (she assists in a spec. ed. pre-school class). But when we talked further, she thought that the 2 sides needed to compromise. I told her the President is willing as soon as the government is open and the debt limit is approved. Its that same meme; its both sides fault; which the MSM puts out.

• October 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Take these 10 points with you to work (or bookmark on a mobile device).

Courteously ask anyone who says “both sides” what Dems, especially our President, could do to make the GOP happy (aside from getting rid of Obamacare, which ain’t gonna happen on our President’s watch).

For instance:
        1) Dems have agreed to the spending limits that GOP asked for. How are the Dems to blame for this?
        etc.

• 108 dotster3
        October 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I think most people just don’t realize how extreme the Repub Party has become and are unaware of how we got to this nutty nut point. They just know everything’s a mess so it must be everyone’s fault, everyone needs to compromise, they hear “both sides” from all media. It’s a shame. That’s why I always wish PBO’s appearances were required viewing for all. People are desperately in need of facts.

• 109 theo67
        October 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm

The thing is – none of these people who say both sides need to compromise never actually articulate what they think is worth bartering away. Every singly item on the list of GOP demands would harm Americans – are these supporters of “compromise” willing to harm Americans in order to achieve this “compromise” they are calling for? They speak in abstract, but never consider the reality of what they’re proposing.

26. October 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Superb, zizi, just superb!!! Thank you!!!

#TrustBarack …. and always listen to him ….

27. 111 Jovie
    October 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Really ?

28. October 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Here’s today’s #GOPshutdown clock, as of 5 pm EDT.

29. October 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

30. 117 Jovie
    October 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I was watching revolution and they had an ad saying the president full interview tonight at 11. That’s local Tampa station!

31. 118 Nena20409
    October 9, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Zizi2…..seriously, you are awesome.

I remember this very much. I had no idea that there was a name for it. The Baltimore Massacre ;) That is just brilliant.

The TBGOPers tried to get pres Obama and president Obama ended up Educating the Teabaggers. It was the very best.

32. 119 WilTal
    October 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

ZiZi, thank you for this treasure. OMG, I so much enjoyed watching PBO that day. I was smiling like a Cheshire cat throughout the entire session. Our President was absolutely Brilliant.

• October 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm

In general, there are usually 20 “sympathetic” supporters for every active member of such a “movement.” — In some of the literature I’ve read (we are starting to get some excellent sociological research on the Tea Party), that is generally believed to be accurate of the Tea Party as well. That may be changing due to these recent antics…

• October 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I should add, much of the research perceives the Tea Party as a “continuation,” in a sense, of the Know-Nothings, the KKK, and the John Birchers.

• 123 theo67
          October 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I didn’t actually realize there used to be a party called the “Know-nothings” until your post! I’ve always used the term, not realizing it was historical. From Wikipedia – they could be describing Glen Beck’s movement…

“The Know Nothing movement was an American political movement that operated on a national basis during the mid 1850s. It promised to purify American politics by limiting or ending the influence of Irish Catholics and other immigrants, thus reflecting nativism and anti-Catholic sentiment. It was empowered by popular fears that the country was being overwhelmed by German and Irish Catholic immigrants, whom they saw as hostile to republican values and controlled by the pope in Rome. Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, it strove to curb immigration and naturalization, but met with little success. Membership was limited to Protestant males. There were few prominent leaders, and the largely middle-class membership fragmented over the issue of slavery.”

• October 9, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Pickle, the difference is that sympathetic people may agree with you, may egg you on, but they won’t do the hard work or take the risks. The same is true in the national parties–a few really active people, some semi-active and the rest ‘sympathetic,’ but essentially lazy.

• 127 susanne
      October 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm

just for some perspective– see that big dark green square on the left side of new mexico? that’s catron county, capitol is ‘reserve’ which we called ‘reverse’ when i lived in the state. the total population of that county is 3,733. so, if the map legend says there are more than 10 teat parties for every 10,000 people there, that means there are maybe 4 total for catron county. that’s 4 people, to make a big green square.

33. October 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm

While the GOP are only thinking of themselves, the Obama Administration is quietly following through on cleaning up the messes of GWBush and the loathsome neocons:

34. October 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I’ve been gone most of the day, but have to say that day PBO took the pubs to school was phenomenal! I remember their whole thing was the teleprompter. He shocked their pants off when he spoke off the cuff and did the professorial, ‘you want a piece of me?’

Thanks zizi

35. 132 Vicki
    October 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I remember that day very well but I didn’t know it had a name.
    I remember Fox cut away 1/2 way through. Which shocked me then. Wouldn’t surprise me now.
    Thanks so much for posting it, zizi.

36. 133 globalcitizenlinda
    October 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm

another day, gop stupidity still reins

37. 134 Jovie
    October 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

38. October 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Just by reading every thing they did to this President my tears a rolling down my cheeks. The greatest humiliation in life, is to work hard on
    something from which you expect great appreciation because you did it with People all around this great nation because You care!!.. then fail to get it ..
    because of the obstructionist and Racist people who is suppose to work with you and move this Nation forward…People backstabbing you are blocking your agendas for this nation and making it all impossible for you to move on….I voted for this President , and if he would run again, I would vote for him AGAIN! I will always have his back…

I love this President And God bless him ..I have faith that is is going to change… “Nothing can touch him. ..

“If you are humble, nothing will touch you; neither
    praise nor disgrace, because you know what
    you are.
    –Mother Teresaf

.Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    –Bible