Oct

TOD? Say Hello to Danny

15 Things I’ve already learned about Danny

(1) He loves leaves:

(2) He loves tennis balls:

(3) A Lot:

(4) He’s not impressed with the puppy bed I bought him:

(5) But he very much likes the grown-up bed I also bought him, but thought he wouldn’t use for three-ish months:

(6) He’s flippin’ tricky to photograph because he’s in constant motion:

(7) I mean, really tricky:

(8) But when he occasionally sits still he poses like a pro:

(9) He likes the iPhone – when I was trying to find mine I spotted him walking by with it in his mouth:

(10) He loves television – he sits looking at it and when someone starts talking he wags his tail and then starts kinda dancing:

(11) And he really can dance – this is a, well, slightly blurred (photo not by Pete Souza) snippet of a Riverdance-like routine he did with my nephew. Thinking of changing his name to Flatley:

(12) He doesn’t really appreciate being led:

(13) He thinks Tomatoes rock. I dropped one, he devoured it, and his waggy tail went in to overdrive:

(14) Don’t touch his ball on a rope – it angers him:

(15) I loooooooooooove him!

Thank you sooooooooooo much UT for doing all the posting today while I came to terms with my brand new life!

221 Responses to “TOD? Say Hello to Danny”

October 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Fiiiiinally.

2. 27 COS
    October 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hello Danny. Beautiful pup Chips.

3. 28 Proud Former White House Intern
    October 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm

He is adorable I want one!

4. 29 theo67
    October 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yay!!! Awww – he’s just adorable! Pic #8 is a real serious one – he just looks so squeezable. So glad you’re getting along, Chips. Just lovely.

5. October 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm

WOHOOOOOOOO! So happy for you, Chips! Nothing compare to the companionship of a dog :)

October 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm

OMG! Cutest little guy:) He’s more than just a little adorable. Congrats to you, Chips. Years and years of pure joy coming your way.

7. October 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm

He’s a cutie pie! Congrats, Mama Chips! May you and Danny have a very happy life together. :-D

8. 48 Layla
    October 19, 2013 at 10:21 pm

From Danny to Mom
    Puppy Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep,
    The king size bed is soft and deep.
    I sleep right in the center groove
    My human mom can hardly move.

I’ve trapped her legs, She’s tucked in tight,
    And here is where I pass the night.
    No one disturbs me or dares intrude,
    Til morning comes and “I want food!”

I sneak up slowly to begin,
    My nibbles on my human’s chin.
    She wakes up quickly, and looks at me
    Then asks the question, “What’s wrong puppy”?

The morning is here, And it’s time to play
    I always seem to get my way.

So thank you lord for giving me
    This human mom that I see.
    The one who hugs and hold me tight
    And shares her bed with me at night!

9. 53 anniebella
    October 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm

He is cute. Almost make me want one.

10. 54 sjterrid
    October 19, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Congratulations, Chips. He’s adorable!!!!

October 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Well (huff)! I see you kept Danny to yourself for the whole, entire day! Sure, be that way! Not sure I want to play now, after waiting patiently ALLLLL day to get a glimpse.

Anyway, WELCOME Danny Boy! I won’t hold the delay against you /whisper/ and if you come over soon I have lots and lots of leaves of varying colours in the back yard. You can even help me pick them up and pack them away.

• October 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Sorry for the delay VC!! I was wiped out, fella asleep when he finally did!

October 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Ah, the joys of mothering a ‘newborn’! Does that mean you may be up tonight as well? At least you know the routine – sleep when the baby sleeps. Did you take maternity/baby-care leave? :grin:

• October 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I am expecting a sleepless night VC …. but so far he’s sleeping like a baby. But come 4 in the morning……. :???:

October 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Don’t borrow trouble! Let’s predict together that he’ll sleep right through the night. ;)

BTW – that huge bed …. Aunt VC is a bit upset that you didn’t embroider Danny’s real name onto it. None of this ‘Scruffs’ business. I don’t want Danny becoming confused as to who he is as he matures. We don’t want any personality disorders, if you don’t mind.

October 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Or better yet, Danny, you can gather all the leaves, without having to share with me. I’m like you, I don’t like sharing my toys.

12. 62 GGail
    October 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Oooooh, Chipsticks – he’s simply lovely!
    Welcome Danny to our TOD family :D

13. October 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Danny looks like trouble Chipsticks! But if there is such a thing, worthwhile trouble!! Very happy for you.

October 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Have fun with Danny, Chips. He is FABULOUS!

October 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

jovie & chips. That’s 2-0 for the pups. Who is next?

No, my Mac doesn’t count. My house, my rule.

16. October 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Oh Chips, thanks for sharing this bundle of joy with us. He is so cute. There is nothing like the bond of a pet and owner.

17. October 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg wait for all of us today. FINALLY! He is a cutie pie. Thanks for sharing him with us and know we all look forward to the stories…..and there WILL be stories and more stories. :)

18. 91 Jovie
    October 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Btw that looks just like my black lab that I had when she was small.
    I’ll trade you my golden lab for your black lab?
    :) :)

19. 96 Eveingeorgia
    October 19, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Chips, that’s a gorgeous dog. He is going to be huge; look at those paws!

October 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Be prepared for ‘tender’ moments like this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

21. 111 Layla
    October 19, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Things Danny needs to remember…..

I will not play tug-of-war with Mom’s underwear when she’s on the toilet.
    The garbage collector is NOT stealing our stuff
    I do not need to suddenly stand straight up when I’m lying under the coffee table.
    I will not roll my toys behind the fridge.
    I must shake the rainwater out of my fur BEFORE entering the house.
    I will not try to find the few remaining pieces of clean carpet in the house when I am about to throw up.
    I will not throw up in the car.
    I will not eat any more socks and then redeposit them in the backyard after processing.
    I will not wake Mommy up by sticking my cold, wet nose up her bottom end.
    I will not chew my human’s toothbrush and not tell her.
    I will not chew crayons or pens, especially not the red ones, or my Mom will think I am hemorrhaging.
    When in the car, I will not insist on having the window rolled down when it’s raining outside.
    We do not have a doorbell. I will not bark each time I hear one on TV.
    I will not steal my Mom’s underwear and dance all over the back yard with it.
    The sofa is not a face towel. Neither is Mom’s lap.
    My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
    I will not lick the dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
    I will not bite the officer’s hand when he reaches in for Mom’s driver’s license and car registration.

22. October 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm

bbl … time to prepare some dinner ….

October 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Chips, I forgot to ask – you did programme my phone number into your phone, right? It’s just occurred to me that Danny must have been planning to let me know he had arrived safely when you took the phone away. Can he have his own phone, please?

24. 122 dotster3
    October 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I kept waiting for this place to be overflowing with black lab puppyness. I kept checking but–sob– no doggy stuff. Then I remembered how busy it is for new moms. And then finally—well worth the wait to get to see all that Danny fun, frolic and cuteness squared. I see he has already stolen your heart, chips. I know you will enjoy your new life with that adorable little guy—–well, most of it anyway. :)

• October 20, 2013 at 8:44 am

Dotster, soooooo sorry for the delay!! I was like a zombie last night, couldn’t keep my eyes open! He’s completely adorable, can’t believe hoq quickly he’s settled in, he knew his way around the house and garden after about five minutes! Lively days ahead!

October 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Is anyone here surprised?

Fox’s Obamacare Victims Aren’t Victims At All

On October 11, Fox News aired a Hannity special, which attempted to misinform on the ACA by hosting six guests who recounted their alleged “‘Obamacare’ horror stories.” After watching the special, Eric Stern, former senior adviser to Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana, tracked down the guests and found that not one of them had been negatively impacted by the new health care law. Stern detailed his investigation in an October 18 article for Salon:

First I spoke with Paul Cox of Leicester, N.C. He and his wife Michelle had lamented to Hannity that because of Obamacare, they can’t grow their construction business and they have kept their employees below a certain number of hours, so that they are part-timers.

Obamacare has no effect on businesses with 49 employees or less. But in our brief conversation on the phone, Paul revealed that he has only four employees. Why the cutback on his workforce? “Well,” he said, “I haven’t been forced to do so, it’s just that I’ve chosen to do so. I have to deal with increased costs.” What costs? And how, I asked him, is any of it due to Obamacare? There was a long pause, after which he said he’d call me back. He never did.

………………………….//

26. 126 sherijr
    October 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Aww Chips he is magnificent ~ and you are a wonderful mommy. thank you so much for introducing us to him.. I’m already smitten :)

October 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm

CONGRATS CHIPS!!! Oh my – what a LOVELY surprise – I’m late to the welcoming party, but good thing I did check in!! What a gorgeous little dog!!! And he has already grown quite a bit since the last pic. Thanks Chips for sharing all these wonderful pics and fun anecdotes about Danny with us – dogs are just wonderful creatures in ALL respects. And Danny does already seem to have a very fun and lively spirit! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about him in the coming months & years :) :) :)

• October 20, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thank yooooooooou Hopefruit!!!! You know, I’m beginning to wonder if he’s half kangaroo – when I came down to him this morning he jumped out of his bed just like one!!! He really is just so funny, he has me howling most of the time – major fun ahead, methinks!

October 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm

October 19, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I know it’s Danny’s Welcome Home thread, but this was good:)

30. 139 Sue in Seattle
    October 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I see a playdate in Danny’s future with Bo and Sunny, while the hoomans sit for a chat over a cuppa – a girl can dream, can’t she?

My favorite pic to date is the third one down – those eyes!

Enjoy every moment and thanks for sharing pix of beautiful Danny with everyone.

31. 141 lockewasright
    October 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Dogs are the best people in the world!

32. 142 kathryn kivett
    October 19, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Congratulations Mommy….we should have given you a Puppy Shower….Danny is precious and it is absolutely perfect to share him in a PBO discussion group for he brings smiles and warm feelings the same way PBO does when he turns that brilliant smile on. Just think of the similarities….full of boundless energy, sleek and muscular, able to adapt to different circumstances, protective, loyal, loving, loves to eat, never know what he is thinking before he pounces, twinkling eyes, unpredictable, and he is black.

33. October 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Chips, he is so cute. I just love your photos of him. The bed is already too small, he thinks it’s a toy, or my vision is out of wack. Black dogs are so hard to take a photo of but you did a good job with your lovable Danny. How can we not love him. He’s got you half trained! :grin:

• October 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thank yooooou Carol! You are so right about hard it is taking pics of black dogs, I remember my fellow photographer (hush) Pete Souza saying the same about Bo! And you’re completely right about that small bed: it is now his most loved toy!

• October 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

You never know what there favorite toy will be. I noticed most of a sock gone this morning after four years. When they get lonely for us they pick what smells like us. A suggestion I’ve heard is to have an active toy box and one that is hidden so that you can rotate the toys to keep them refreshed. Several colors of tennis balls have been made for dogs. It seems to be a favorite toy. Do you have a good source for a variety of toys? I have links to several if you’d like them. Have you started the DannyDiary yet? I know you do research, but sometimes it’s not always in the books. Seems like there are several dog “experts” on “Tod”. Have fun. Keep it fun. :lol:

34. October 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Awww, what a cutie your Danny is. Congrats Chips and welcome home Danny.

35. 150 a4alice
    October 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Yay! Congrats Chips! You know what they say, no one loves ya like a dog! And it’s true :D

36. October 19, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Hey Chips, I posted a post earlier which will let you know everything you need to know about dogs.

Hi danny!!!!

37. 156 daisydem
    October 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Chips, Danny is so cute and sweet. What an expressive face. Enjoy him.

38. 158 Jovie
    October 19, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Chips,
    One things for sure – Labs are the best Dogs. People Pleasers… :)

39. 159 Judith Fardig
    October 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Wishing you and Danny every possible joy!

40. 161 Betsy
    October 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Me too, Chips. Wishing you a lifetime of endless joy with Danny. You are the best and deserve this wonderful young bundle of joy into your life. Thanks for sharing him with us. O Danny Boy….. We all love you.

41. 163 LDS
    October 20, 2013 at 12:04 am

Ms. Chips, he is so cute! You make me want to ——-no, I will not! He is truly going to capture your heart. The pics are absolutely funny.
    Let him know who is boss. He is, of course….

• October 20, 2013 at 8:08 am

That’s what I thought LDS, that I’d prompt about 96 new TOD puppies in the next couple of months!! Working on the boss bit, it may take time ….. :???:

October 20, 2013 at 12:08 am

I really think I should go to bed, even if my eyes aren’t closing on their own….yet.

Sweet dreams, everyone! Now Danny, make sure you sleep through the night – give mother Chips some false hope, lull her into first night complacency.

43. 170 Bill R.
    October 20, 2013 at 12:10 am

Wow, that is one kool dog! You’ve got a long time pal and companion. Lab if I’m not mistaken.

44. 172 susanne
    October 20, 2013 at 12:14 am

way late to the puppy welcoming party, but still–
    welcome puppy!
    looks like your life will be filled with fun, chips!

45. 174 HZ
    October 20, 2013 at 12:15 am

Chips, oh Danny is such a cutie. He looks like another brilliant TODer. A personality of his own. Love my new great grandson. Thanks for sharing Danny with us, Chips. (((((((((((( Hugs to Danny, my great grandson.)))))))))))))HZ

46. 176 PamfromCalif
    October 20, 2013 at 12:18 am

Danny is adorable. Congratulations for your new family member.

47. 178 canadabarb4obama
    October 20, 2013 at 12:21 am

oh Chips, he is just so lovely……when you come to Vancouver, stop by so Danny might enjoy a biscuit from Uncle Arne’s Bed ‘n Biscuit (our home, my hubby’s business) we love them all

48. 182 canadabarb4obama
    October 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

Just a helpful hint: try to switch him to a whistle ball; they are so good and no threat of tennis ball splitting and swallowing!

• October 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

Ah, thank you Barb, my sister was worried about him choking too, so will definitely get a whistle ball or something similar – thank you again!

• 184 canadabarb4obama
        October 20, 2013 at 9:15 pm

if you can toss it for him, with one of the “thrower” thingies, it captures their auditory attention as well….Danny may even bring it back to you (don’t get too hopeful on that one yet!)

49. October 20, 2013 at 12:31 am

Awwww, look at that adorable, beautiful baby! I’m sooooooooooooo happy for you Chips!
    When will you be adding our new TOD mascot to the masthead? :-)

50. 187 yardarm756
    October 20, 2013 at 12:55 am

My good night post. Ciao bellas!

51. October 20, 2013 at 1:00 am

Danny is beautiful and obviously a puppy prodigy. :)

52. October 20, 2013 at 1:01 am

Are UT or Chips awake? If not I will post a new thread for those who are still wanting to Chat until the morning. Let me know……

53. 194 nathkatun7
    October 20, 2013 at 1:07 am

Chips, Congrats on finally getting your Danny home! He is not only a good looking, but he appears to have character. I hope he brings you lots of joy.

54. October 20, 2013 at 1:54 am

Congratulations Chips! Such wonderful news. Danny is so unbelievably cute. Enjoy! I am so very happy for you!

55. 197 Dudette
    October 20, 2013 at 1:57 am

56. 199 Dudette
    October 20, 2013 at 2:12 am

57. October 20, 2013 at 2:13 am

Rest well dear TOD Community and hopefully ‘Danny Boy’ will do so and he and our wonderful Chips will arise to a glorious, fun filled Sunday!!!

58. 203 taiping1
    October 20, 2013 at 2:18 am

Chips: Danny is beautiful. Such an expressive face and joyful spirit. Glad you have a week off to bond!

59. 206 ranman11
    October 20, 2013 at 3:01 am

Ms. Chips, Danny is adorable. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures of the new part of you. Congratulations again>>

60. October 20, 2013 at 4:25 am

Extremely late to Danny’s Welcome Party…thanks for sharing the pictures Chipsticks! From what you have shared so far, Danny has indeed let you know that he is master of the house…at least for now. :-)

I can tell that the two of you are going to have soooooo much fun together. Looking forward to reading anecdotes about his antics as well as those adorable moments that make you say, “Awwwwwww…that’s so sweet/cute”

Enjoy your puppy!!!

61. 210 overseasgranny
    October 20, 2013 at 4:28 am

Hey, Good choice of a heart hugger! Now you need to put together a video of Little Danny Pup playing with Danny Boy song playing in the backgound and we will all melt.

62. 212 Bill R.
    October 20, 2013 at 4:39 am

Gov. Beshear a hero in the struggle for health care, in Kentucky.

63. 215 Nena20409
    October 20, 2013 at 6:35 am

Wow! Wow! Wow!. I just woke up and put the kettle on the stove to boil water for Sunday Morning Coffee and LOOK what I see……..Wow!

Finally, Danny is officially presented with Love to TOD by her Mom, Lady Chips.

Danny you Look Marvelous. Strong. Happy. Playful. Handsome. Gorgeous. Athletic.

Congrats Chips. Just wow.

• October 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

Good Morning Chips… (and just before we go to the “bird” thread, I would like to talk about dogs!) Late as usual as I am waaaayyyy – so far – behind as there is so much catching up to do.

I just want to CONGRATULATE you on the beautiful addition to your family. We here at TOD welcome Danny just like our own. We have heard about him and with expectations like a new born, we are as excited as you are! WELCOME Danny to a wonderful home … we know that you will get the best treatment there is! Why do I know? Just look at the Obama Diary …. done with so much love a devotion! We expect no less!

Love you Danny, love you TOP family and love you Chips.

Thank you Chips for sharing this special time in your life with us.

64. 219 ouapiti
    October 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

Congrats on your new puppy — he is just adorable and looks full of good energy and spirit, just like his Mom. Enjoy!!!

65. October 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

You are so lucky Danny gets to train you and make you his person. He is adorable! A complete ball o fun. Please keep up with the pics. Doggy pics are like giving the world a big hug.

66. 221 Byo
    October 21, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Congratulations.
    We just got a second labradoodle, only 3 months old. The earlier one is almost 2 years old.
    And they are both killing me!