Oct

The Genius That Is Pete Souza

3483994997_8104bb8bdb_b

David Walker: Pete Souza On His Long-Term Photographic Partnership With President Barack Obama

PDN: You first met the President on his first day as senator in 2005. What was he like as a subject at that time?

Pete Souza: He had just been through a campaign in Illinois, and oftentimes had photographers tagging along with him. So I think he was used to a photographer being with him, maybe not to the extent that I wanted to try to work with him, which was to do a lot of things behind the scenes, but I think he appreciated the way I worked: leaving a small footprint, not interrupting what he was doing, and things like that.

10030546576_b02487e2a8_h

PDN: Can you talk about what you think about—and what you want to say about—the President when you photograph him, and how that has changed since you started as the chief White House photographer?

8145794896_d525d5c5bb_h

PS: I used to tell people that I’m trying to make photographs so that 50 years from now, people will have a sense of what Barack Obama was like as a president and as a person. [Then] I saw, somebody had archived a presentation about the work of Yoichi Okamoto, who was LBJ’s photographer, and he essentially said the same thing, except he didn’t say 50 years—he said 500 years. And that just sort of shook me a little bit in the sense of how important it was for me to do a good job documenting visually this administration, because the reality is that: It’s 500 years from now.

8475768931_40627e0a5e_b

People could be going through these photographs to try to get an idea [of this administration]. So that’s sort of the way I think about things.

image2

PDN: What images come to mind that stand out to you because of what you know about his manner or mannerisms?

PS: I think how he interacts with his girls, for instance. I’m sensitive to giving him the necessary privacy with his girls, but at the same time, they know who I am. I know the great relationship that he has with his girls, so I think I’m able to make some photographs that show him as a father that a stranger coming in would never be able to make … That’s one example.

4344178891_c1f340b044_b

PDN: And anything about your relationship with the President you want to comment on? Does he comment on your photos, for example? Has he said anything to you or anything publicly [about your work]?

PS: Yeah, we hang photos on the walls of the West Wing. He’s usually struck by the photos that he’s not in, or photos that he’s in with his family, or photos that he’s in with little kids. I think those are the three categories of photographs that he enjoys the most.

More here

8247653137_b6a3b70c85_h

4014549110_a7468e212f_b

8248705218_870f046a5e_h

4420332277_1d0bbd15b3_b

9317456856_6a9b5380c7_h

8475775751_1c4f0a1b4a_h

124 Responses to “The Genius That Is Pete Souza”

1. 1 Anjo
    October 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Hi everyone hope your day was great

October 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Hi, Anjo! :grin:

3. 5 Anjo
    October 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm

WOW I am first, thanks to all for allowing me this crowning achievement. Now to catch up on all the days postings

4. 7 Nena20409
    October 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Good Evening TODers. Great Pictures and a wonderful Post as always TU. Thanks.

Anjo has The Gold…… ;) Congratulations.

5. 8 Anjo
    October 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hi VC, turned on to get my local news opened TOD to lurk when I saw leave a comment what luck, hope my lottery ticket is this lucky, back to lurking

October 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

‘back to lurking’

Why? You don’t like our ‘actual’ company? ;)
      BTW, Anjo, if your lottery ticket is this lucky, do remember who came through the door behind you and throw a bag full of $$ over your shoulder….for your own continued good luck, of course.

6. October 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I notice that Pete takes a lot of photos from the President’s perspective – i.e. looking out at the crowd to see it how the President sees it. That’s pretty indicative of this Administration. It’s not about them – it’s about the people they serve. This group of people are so dedicated, it’s humbling. I got a chill when I read the segment about people looking at this Administration 500 years from now. We really are witnessing history! It’s wonderful!

October 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm

HEY, video TECHIES!
    Please don’t ignore this heartfelt plea I’m bringing over from last post. NancySmash gave some really, really good answers that should be in circulation. I need your help in breaking down the vid into bite size pieces.

“HELP!!! VIDEO HELP NEEDED! (Thank you to whoever shared this on the previous feed – rushing, so can’t check right now.)

We have got to have someone who knows how, divvy up this excellent TEACHING VIDEO by Nancy Smash! Please-oh-please-oh please! You have only to listen to it to see what I mean. She has beautifully broken down talking points that you and I could retweet over and over – all on their own – in response to some of the garbage MSM spouts on twitter. You could cut after each question and answer, maybe.

PLEASE! I am begging you. I’m even willing to listen again (and I don’t usually ‘do’ videos longer than 5 mins without real incentives) and give you cut off points. BUT I REALLY DO WANT YOU TO LISTEN FOR YOURSELVES!

ps. (I can’t promise you anything else as I don’t like to make promises I cannot keep, but I sure would TRY to be good quiet in the village….for a while, anyway.)

PLEASE! And THANKS!

8. 16 Nena20409
    October 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

10-23-13 presser at the WH with Jay “Clark Kent” Carney…..

At about 58:55 is when the presser began

October 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I’m bringing this discussion over from the previous thread regarding Dick Durbin’s report of some GOP rep telling PBO, he/she can’t stand to look at him. As I indicated on the other thread, I think Durbin may have stretched the truth there. The one person who would be able to verify this is PBO himself, and he would not have had Jay deny this if it had in fact happened. Jay would have said, I’m not in a position to comment one way or the other, or something along those lines.

I think if Durbin was prepared to say that someone said this to PBO’s face, he also should have been prepared to name the individual who said it. Because by leaving this info unknown, he is actually fueling more of the so-called “disrespect” for PBO, with zero consequences to the person who displayed the disrespectful behavior. It’s likely that someone said this behind PBO’s back (which is completely par for the course when it comes to the COWARDS of the GOP), and Durbin got caught up in the heat of the moment.

• 20 GGail
      October 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm

hopefruit, I too brought my last comment over. I am inclined to support your theory – Sen Durbin overheard it and became so very pissed that he let it out and now it’s out in the open – yet we don’t know who actually said it.

• 21 dotster3
      October 23, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I would tend to agree except that Durbin didn’t back down and said he stood by his post. He could have tried to gracefully exit, apologize in some way, make some kind of explanation. But he didn’t. I think he’s sincerely angry about what was said to PBO. But I also think it’s probably best to try to move on from this—–that’s what the WH thinks is best, and they’re usually right.

October 23, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Then if he’s so angry, he should name the person. If it’s true, then he KNOWS who said it, so why not name the person and have THEM defend their comment? By failing to do that he’s prolonging the air of doubt and resulting bad blood. If he’s so adamant that he’s willing to stand by his comment, then he should have a name and face to go with that comment.

10. 25 dotster3
    October 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm

NBC reporting tonight that the deadline will be extended for individual mandate of ACA for as much as 6 weeks, due to the “rocky roll out”.

• 26 Claire
      October 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm

That’s what I was hoping they would do, simply extend the deadline. This makes sense, maybe now people will stop with the hysterics.

11. 27 GGail
    October 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I have always had respect for Sen Durbin and I just feel confused as to why he would publicly repeat such a hurtful statement that was said by a person who remains anonymous. Who is this person who spoke so ill and disrespectful of our President?

I’m reminded of Jesus who looked at his Disciples and asked “who has betrayed me”?

• 28 Claire
      October 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Whatever the situation, by standing by his statements, Durbin is accusing the POTUS of being a liar because the POTUS said it did not happen. Now, we have a media distraction.

• 29 GGail
        October 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Where are the Men In Black with their memory eraser gadgets when you need them?

• 31 Vicki
        October 23, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Maybe that’s a liitle harsh. Difference of opinion and yes now it is a distraction.

• 32 Claire
          October 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I doubt the media and the tea party will be so kind as to call it a difference of opinion especially when Durbin is making an accusation about a member of the GOP.

• 33 jziglar
        October 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Durbin isn’t lying. The WH is trying to squash the story, but anonymous democratic aides are confirming that it was talked about.

October 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm

How do you know that Durbin isn’t lying? Why hasn’t Durbin named the individual who made the comment? And why are you accusing the WH of “trying to squash the story” while believing “anonymous democratic aides” over PBO’s Press Secretary?

• 35 jziglar
            October 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I’m sorry but I’m not trying to call anyone a liar but Dubin is not the type of person to lie about something like this. Also we have more people confirming that it was talked about, and the spokespeople for Boehner and Cantor didn’t totally deny it. I think the WH wants the story to go away so it won’t be a distraction. And I could flip the same question you gave me and ask how do we know if the WH is telling the truth ? Like I said before I don’t want to call Durbin or the WH liars. I believe that it was said based on all of the hate directed at the president by the GOP.

October 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm

“And I could flip the same question you gave me and ask how do we know if the WH is telling the truth?”

First, I am more likely to go believe person who has his FACE and his NAME on record (Jay Carney), than I am to believe either the person who refuses to name the individual who supposedly made the remark, or “democratic aides” who refuse to put their names and/or faces on record.

Second, the spokespeople for Boehner and Cantor have nothing to deny or confirm because no one was named. They can continue the charade for as long as long as they like, because it ultimately benefits THEM (GOP) and puts the focus on Durbin and the WH, and not on the supposed individual who made the remark. If Durbin really wants to be put an end to this, he needs to name the individual responsible for making the remark. When Joe Wilson disrespected the President, everyone knew it was him. And thus the focus was on Wilson, and not on the WH. But Durbin is causing a problem here by insisting something was said, but at the same time refusing to name the source! He wants to have it both ways, but he shouldn’t.

October 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Here’s my bottom line: You don’t amplify the nasty GOP message while protecting them. If you do that, you’re part of the problem. I don’t care who you are, what you say you are or what you’ve done or not done in the past. Period.

• October 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Jay said he spoke with someone who was at the meeting who said no such thing took place. Did the President say that as well?

October 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

PBO could very well be that person that Jay spoke to. After all, PBO was the supposed “target” of the GOPer’s comment.

12. 40 susanne
    October 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm

wow–wonderful post! thanks so much ut!

13. 41 99ts
    October 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I read this article on voter id in Texas – which was posted on an earlier thread. Seems to me this is suppressing women’s votes in the worst possible way. I’ve never quite understood why women in the US have their maiden name as their middle name – but from reading this it seems it was compulsory to do this (at least in Texas) on a driving license. And NOW it means these women have problems voting – something the government made people do – stops them voting. If I have this wrong can someone explain it to me

“District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. …“I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, WHICH WAS MANDATED in 1964 when I got married, and this”

October 23, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Hi 99ts! Ironic that I was griping about discrimination against women ‘in other lands’ (just below you) at about the same time you were pointing out that discrimination against women is very much alive, active and well in our corner. Not that I had forgotten of course. It just seemed so bizarre that women needed permission to drive.

• 43 99ts
        October 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Women still face discrimination (c.f. men) in most corners of the world. It just seems sad to me that so-called “democracies” can rename their discrimination as “removing voter fraud”. I have been twice married (once divorced) – and it cost me over $100 to get the needed documents when I applied for a passport some years ago. All my husband needed was a birth certificate.

• October 23, 2013 at 9:35 pm

99, this is the problem that all the state voter ID laws run up against. They are inherently discriminatory toward married women, We wrestled with this in PA and it was never resolved. The way these laws are written married woman have to produce reams of paper showing marriage license, divorce or death certificates in the case of remarriages and birth certificates. All of these are VERY costly, particularly if you were married in one state and voting in another. Every woman needs to check her voter registration form and update it to reflect her driver’s license. If she doesn’t have a driver’s license things get ugly and expensive. These problems have to be the subject of lawsuits until state legislatures are forced to address them. Disenfranchising women is not acceptable and women have to keep fighting to protect themselves. In a state like Texas where a Democratic woman is running for Governor, you can bet that suppressing the women’s vote is no accident.

• 46 99ts
        October 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hi jackie – similar things trying to happen in my world – our RW state Premier and PM are copying the worst of US states and discussing implementing such things here. For over 40 years I have walked into the voting room, given my name/address and voted. We don’t have to sign anything, show anything – simply state name and address – and some fool wants to change the rules.

If you saw my reply above, I need 4 pieces of paper – all costing $30 or more, to prove that the name I have is my legal name. My husband needs a birth certificate. No wonder so many women keep now keep their original names when they marry.

October 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I know we are not perfect in our government etc., but it’s stories like these, where what I think of as basic freedom is infringed, that make me glad I was born where I was.
    //…………
    Some of the senior religious leaders who protested outside the palace in the Red Sea port of Jiddah said the United States was behind a campaign calling for women to drive on October 26 that claims to have garnered 16,000 signatures.

The government has not cracked down on the driving campaign, and King Abdullah is believed to favor some social reforms. The protest by clerics, who are among the most influential voices in Saudi Arabia, shows the challenge he faces in pushing gently for change without antagonizing conservative segments of the population.

The hard-line Saudi religious establishment has sway over the courts and oversees the often zealous religious police, run by the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, which enforces strict segregation of the sexes and other restrictive interpretations of Islamic Shariah laws.

“Why was the date of the protest (by women driving) given a Western date and not an Arab one?” asked prominent Sheik Nasser el-Omar at the rally, referring to the Islamic lunar calendar that differs from the Gregorian one used by the West. “This suggests the campaign was made in the USA,” he said in remarks carried by the semi-official news website Akhbar 24.

Since the right to drive campaign launched last month, Saudi women have been uploading videos and sharing pictures online of themselves driving.
    ………………………..//

15. 48 Desertflower
    October 23, 2013 at 6:46 pm

If Pete Sousa ever came out with a coffee table book with all the photos fr this Presidency, I would save up every single dollar I had to buy it . No question. Damn IPhone typing drives me nuts !

October 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Desertf, I remind him (on twitter) of that periodically, although I noticed in the interview that he already did one of BHO before he became PBO. I shall have to keep my eyes open for that.

Practically, there is no way he could do a ctb with ‘all the photos fr this Presidency’ though – we have to force ourselves to be reasonable, but you better believe I’d be lining up for my copy. In fact, I’d probably have to get one of you to negotiate the deal because books/magazines of POTUS and/ FLOTUS always take some time to work their way to any of the bookstores in my neighbourhood.

• 50 GGail
        October 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm

You know you can count on us VC

October 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I know I have you guys as backup, TY. That’s why I’m not sweating so far in advance. ;) Last time it took me about 3-4 weeks to find the copy of Us with FLOTUS on the cover, but it was well worth the search.

• 52 Desertflower
        October 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm

We’d send you one:) first person on your neck of the woods to have that very coveted book

October 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

:grin: TY, Df. It feels really good to know that I have lots of ‘agents’ who could scout out one for me as soon as it’s released. I don’t intend to take advantage of this gift; I just like to know it’s there in case my own search fails.

October 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

BTW, did you note the name of the book Pete has already published re BHO? That was news to me, but I’m betting and hoping it will be mostly pictures. Does anyone here know?

• 55 3terms4obama
            October 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Lurker here, but had to come in to let u know the book is called The Rise of Barack Obama, released 2008. It is almost all pictures, fantastic ones too.

October 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm

TY for responding, and welcome to the best TOD hangout spot , evah! It’s nice to see you joining in, (though I must say I have to disagree with your name). There is no way I’d want my guy to serve another DAY after this second term is up. IMO he and his family have given more than enough. Just saying. ;)

• October 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

From the link UTA provided on the front page:
            “Pete Souza, who has served as chief White House photographer since the start of Barack Obama’s first term as President in early 2009, first met Obama in 2005 when the President had just been sworn in as a newly elected U.S. Senator from Illinois. At the time, Souza was a Washington, DC-based photographer for the Chicago Tribune with an assignment to document Obama’s first year as a senator. The assignment stretched into a second year, and Souza eventually published a book called The Rise of Barack Obama (Triumph Books). Souza left the Tribune in 2007 and taught at Ohio University before joining the White House staff. With approval from the White House press office, he spoke to PDN by telephone last August. Joanna Rosholm, a regional communications director for the White House, monitored the conversation.”

October 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Three by Pete???!!! And you have kept this info to yourself all these years I’ve know you? :shock: Well! (huff) Not sure I’ll be speaking to you for a while – to keep this a secret!

October 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Wait! You get a reprieve. Looking more closely at the covers, it seems Pete only did the forward for one, and on the other I couldn’t find his name. Phew! I really didn’t want to risk our friendship; I can live with the knowledge that I really only missed one done ‘solely’ by Mr. Souza. :grin:

October 23, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Guess what I just found out? I have a ‘huge’ copy of the movie star ‘in the rain’ PBO picture that was recently featured here! I’m grinning. I’m grinning. I’m grinning. I knew I had a hardcover book of PBO so I went to see if it was the Inaugural book you have above. It isn’t. It’s the Times – BO: A Historic Journey and right at the front is a two page spread of that epic picture. I have treasures I’m not even aware of. Man, I’m so blessed! :lol: :lol:

• 62 GGail
      October 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I’ll be right there with you df !

• 63 Desertflower
        October 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Tons of people would want this book, GGail! All of us for starters !

October 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Get a load of this, you two! Check out the last sentence! How could we not have known? I’m going to be on the lookout for sure!

The Rise of Barack Obama (updated)
          Photographs and Text by Pete Souza
          ISBN: 978-1-60078-313-5
          176 pages
          9 x 10, Paperback
          pub date 10-2009
          1-color; b/w photos throughout
          Item # 978-1-60078-313-5 Product: The Rise of Barack Obama (updated) Price: $14.95

Award-winning photojournalist, Pete Souza, documents the meteoric rise of the charismatic Barack Obama from his first day in the U.S. Senate right up to the Pennsylvania presidential primary. More than 80% of these candid and stunning photographs capturing private and political moments have not been seen before.

October 23, 2013 at 7:40 pm

GGail. did you see below – Pete already has a book of BHO published – and no-one told me (us?)!!!!

16. October 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm

PBO will make a statement tomorrow at the White House calling on Congress to pass comprehensive immigration reform. Let’s MOVE.

• 67 Layla
      October 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I just LOVE how PBO’s mind works! He is now pushing this and of course they will buck and say all kinds of nasty “things’ about these damn “immigrants’ which to me is aimed at 2014!

• October 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I love that he’s moving on with a sense of purpose and urgency about this issue. The RWNJs will blunder and sink on this as usual.

October 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Fantastic news meta, and it will help to change the MSM’s silly narratives about ACA website glitches, or something that Dick Durbin said about some GOPer, who shall remain nameless, and who said something nasty to PBO’s face…

17. 70 Nena20409
    October 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Finally Susan Collins Gets a challenger who is OK with the legalization of Pots

WASHINGTON — Shenna Bellows has given up her day job as executive director of Maine’s American Civil Liberties Union to run against Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), promising to fight for marijuana legalization, the repeal of the Patriot Act, more environmental protections and an end the National Security Agency’s surveillance of Americans.

Bellows officially kicked off her campaign on Wednesday, giving a speech to “a standing-room only breakfast crowd” at a cafe in Ellsworth, Maine, according to the Bangor Daily News.

October 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

‘an end the National Security Agency’s surveillance of Americans.’

That’s a winning and meaningful campaign point. :roll:

• 72 Nena20409
        October 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

She’s from the Civil Liberty Union group…..that would be her stand most likely. ME is a state that cares about Civil Liberties. She can have those thoughts……but there are laws and POTUS is within the US laws.

October 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm

They care about civil liberties, do they? Yet wasn’t that the state whose new mayor, or was it governor, who was messing around with people’s ‘civil liberties’ shortly after he gained office? Oh, well, I wish her all the best.

• 74 Nena20409
            October 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Yep……Lepage and the teabaggers in ME they got in for many Voters stayed home on 2010. They are learning and have learned…..I hope.

• 75 LunarSea
              October 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm

LaPage will always be a dark chapter in Maine’s story, but there is actually a huge misconception of LePage came into the office. Here’s the facts:

A daughter of a much loved previous democratic gov ran, with a last name of Mitchell. Maine was on it! We were working hard and furious. Check the early voting stats and you’ll see that dems came out in almost record numbers and most of it was via early voting.

But something happened as we got closer to the elections, the candidate pulled a McCaokley or whatever her name is in Mass that lost to Brown. She was missing the vision and passion her father was famous for and slowly ppl began to believe that she didn’t really want this post. Talk about lackluster. She had the early voters scratching their heads and turned off the ones that show up on election day.

Meanwhile an independent was running that had that vision and passion she lacked, unfortunately since we were pushing the ‘dem’ he was lost in the shadows until everyone began souring on her and he found his voice. Ppl were so disappointed in her that on election day the majority voted for this independent and that split the dem vote.

LaPage won with 34% of the vote! Yes this is what happens when dems splinter. We’ve spent the past few years fighting him, took our legislature back last election and put a stop to his most outrageous tricks. Now we are just waiting to take the governorship back. Can’t happen soon enough. Yes Maine has more than it’s share of libertarians but we don’t really like the GOP except for in pockets here and there like rats in the dark.

A sticker you see on lots of cars here shows the outline of the state of Maine with ‘61%’ in the middle in big bold blue letters. This is the number that didn’t vote for LaPage. It’s a reminder to him of his short time in office. He is a huge embarrassment and a lesson we learn the hard way.

We screwed up but not because we voted for him in droves or was buying what he was selling. It was because of enthusiastic dem turnout in early voting for a candidate that left people confused and rethinking their votes too late in the cycle.

I post this as a cautionary tale on the perils of splitting the dem vote and the need to properly vet our candidates. We really must be careful or we’ll get more LePages.

Okay, back to lurking…. (((hugs all around)))

• 76 nathkatun7
                October 23, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thanks LunerSea for the information on Maine for some of us who live on other side of the Continent! I totally agree with your observation about “the perils of splitting the dem vote and the need to properly vet our candidates.”

• October 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Good! I’m tired of hearing her talk. Besides, she’s the one who led the group that cut the Stimulus and added all those stupid tax cuts.

18. October 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm

• 79 Nena20409
      October 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

That is probably Chuck Todd pushing that crap using Manchin and Sheehan as cover…..along with the tricks to keep Dems…..jumpy scared pols.

• October 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

• 84 dotster3
      October 23, 2013 at 7:19 pm

That’s interesting. Wonder where that report came from—-their “esteemed” political director, Chuck Toad——-or the imagination of Tom Costello, who has been gleefully reporting negative news about the ACA since its inception. One would think a major news org. would be more careful, more sure, of news like this before blasting it out across the country. Wouldn’t one? Or not.

• October 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

It just seems at this point they’re simply interested in contributing to the chaos, smelling blood and going for any headfake they can. It’s beyond disgusting.

• October 23, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Love the fact that Josh and others are challenging these dishonest #NEWSTAINERS

• 87 dotster3
        October 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ms. Bartiromo has never been bothered by reporting false info. And she has proven clueless in many past statements. Absolutely clueless. Pardon me, but if she was ugly we would never ever have been subjected to her, never even heard of her.

• 88 Nena20409
          October 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

During Cronkite and up until the 2002…..most reporters were counted on trying to tell the truth. Today…..the Lie,distort, snide, embellish and dare Citizen Journalists to catch them if We The People Can.

I doubt that the framers had they foreseen the current status of the 4th Estate if they would have been as generous. Those days…..one’s WORD was his Credibility.

October 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Her CNBC “credentials” used to include regular reference to her nickname of the “Money Honey.” Uh, okay.

19. 90 Don
    October 23, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hey, I’ve got an idea, lets not support the black President that gave us health care that has eluded the America public for damn near a century, but lets support the white President that damn near got impeached because he didn’t respect his family or the oval office enough to keep his cock in his pants and out of some young lady ’s mouth that wasn’t his wife.

• 91 Desertflower
      October 23, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Let’s support this President (like we do) and have it go on record that I don’t give two shits What Bill stuck in someone’s mouth. I’m so over thinking about Clinton’s the same way I’m over Bushes. We have the best president inu lifetime and I’m gonna savor every minute!

• 92 Don
        October 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Desertflower, believe me I’m trying to get to the point that you are right now. But the blantant disrespect that he faces from outside and inside the democratic party is what has me steaming. Democratic Senators are coming out wanting to delay the ACA.

October 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Just because they’re Dems, doesn’t make them any less an ass kisser of someone….we’d like to think they all had the integrity of PBO, but that’s not the case. Karma, baby. I don’t have time to waste on them. Rather work my heart out for someone that is genuine. Don’t waste your anger…turn that anger into solid action and you’ll feel better and actually accomplish something good:)

• 96 ERICFIVE
      October 23, 2013 at 9:02 pm

They all now claim to respect Bill Clinton because is safely out of power. The MSM was all for his impeachment at the time and fed the frenzy. The voting public was not in favor of impeaching Clinton DESPITE the GOP/MSM’s best efforts. The government shutdown did a lot of damage to the GOP in the public’s eyes, so the MSM is once again trying to protect the GOP and do its bidding. Sad to see people on this site allowing the blatant propaganda to upset them.

20. October 23, 2013 at 7:12 pm

October 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Oops! Almost missed my pick-up offspring time – BBL. :grin:

22. 109 Nena20409
    October 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Well, better late than Never…..The House passed a bipartisan Water Bill….

WASHINGTON — WASHINGTON (AP) — Bucking some of the same conservative groups that encouraged the government shutdown, Republicans and Democrats united Wednesday to overwhelmingly pass an $8.2 billion House bill mapping out plans for dams, harbor, river navigation and other water projects for the coming decade.

Members of both parties praised the measure just a week after Congress voted to end a bitterly partisan standoff that shuttered much of the federal government for 16 days and threatened a first-ever default on its debt. It passed the House 417-3.

23. October 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

“Thanks to Scott Walker, Wisconsin Will Pay Up To 99% Higher Insurance Costs”

——

“Wisconsin health insurance exchange premiums for single coverage will be on average 79% to 99% higher than premiums in Minnesota, before tax credits are applied,” according to a new report.

If you’re wondering why there is such a disparity in healthcare insurance costs between similar states like Wisconsin and Minnesota… Republicans rejected money to expand Medicaid and Republicans choose not to oversee rate regulation (if this doesn’t ring a bell, when Republicans discuss it, they call their refusal to check corporation’s “freedom” and “free markets”).

24. October 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thanks, UTA, for devoting this thread to the new bridegroom who doesn’t get a honeymoon for another three years!

Love the pictures you selected to go with the interview.

Souza rocks!

25. 118 JER
    October 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm

| Live Now | Vice President Biden Speaks at the Kennedy Forum Community Mental Health Gala – Audio Only: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/vice-president-biden-speaks-kennedy-forum-community-mental-health-gala

26. October 23, 2013 at 8:21 pm

THANK YOU, Kamala Harris.

• October 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm

California today is the perfect example is what can happen when you elect a Democratic government from governor to state legislatures. Other states are floundering while CA is knocking it out of the park.

• 121 nathkatun7
        October 23, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Yes indeed, Jackie G! If we can do nationwide, what voters here in California did in both 2010 and 2012, this country would be on the road to a bright economy future.

• October 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thank you, Jackie. We have really done the hard work to correct the errors of too many years of GOP manipulation and mismanagement. And we now also have Janet Napolitano to head our most prestigious university system! I feel very blessed to live here.