Oct

President Obama At P-TECH

073aeb53fc403c23410f6a706700eb62

President Barack Obama shakes hands with students before speaking at Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH)

3c41473afc3c3c23410f6a706700ed35

President Barack Obama speaks at the Pathways in Technology Early College High School about the importance of education in providing skills for American workers in a global economy

2013-10-25T222918Z_1864296949_GM1E9AQ0HYA01_RTRMADP_3_USA

44afb739fc563c23410f6a706700a754

2013-10-25T223011Z_119738206_GM1E9AQ0HZZ01_RTRMADP_3_USA

President Barack Obama shakes hands with students at the Pathways in Technology Early College High School in Brooklyn

e746ed75fc303b23410f6a706700c241

President Barack Obama tries an “Earthquake Tower Challenge” as he visits a classroom

d5d97c80fc2f3b23410f6a706700f62f

President Barack Obama, accompanied by Education Secretary Arne Duncan, visits a math classroom

3fceffc3fc413c23410f6a706700ccfa

President Barack Obama, accompanied by Education Secretary Arne Duncan, laughs as he visits a classroom

122 Responses to “President Obama At P-TECH”

October 25, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Hi! It’s me.

October 25, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Hopefully, I *am* at the correct rmeeting place, so I’ll just sit quietly over here and wait.

• 32 99ts
      October 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Must have skeered everyone away :) It’s morning in my world – and for once I am up and about early – off to buy a present for my grandbabe – because – I love her :)

October 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Hi 99ts – didn’t grandbabe just have a birthday? Are you one of those grandmas who always gets hooked when she sees that cute little outfit? ;) ;)

• 34 99ts
          October 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm

No – I get hooked when I see the grandbabe! – today is a toy day (when I can get Mr 99 up and out). She loses the TV remotes cause she thinks they are telephones – so I’m out to buy some “telephones” so I can hide the remotes :) :)

October 25, 2013 at 8:00 pm

‘so I’m out to buy some “telephones” so I can hide the remotes’
            :lol: – happy ‘telephone’ hunting!

3. 36 isonprize
    October 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm

One thing I love, love, LURVE!!! about my president is the way that he gives his total attention to a child or young adult when he is talking to them. They pictures of him with children show that he is focused solely on them and what they have to say and do. I just LOVE that.

He looks at them because they MATTER to him. He genuinely CARES about THEM!!

• 37 Dudette
      October 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I couldn’t agree more ison! This is just one of a million reasons why I love him too!

October 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi, Ison! I love that about PBO too. In fact, I get a greater kick out of seeing pics with PBO and babies/toddlers/children BECAUSE of the almost tangible connection I see between the two. Even the babies who can’t talk seem to have a strong connection with Mr. Pres.

BTW, Ison, did you see my last answer – ages ago – about the book I had mentioned to you?

• 39 isonprize
        October 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Yes. I did. But now, can you remind me of the name of it again? I forgot to write it down and I don’t know how to check comments without spending hours… Thanks.

4. 41 anniebella
    October 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Will the White House be having the event they usually have for kids on Halloween?

5. 44 99ts
    October 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I do enjoy that Charles Johnson keeps his eye on the Snow people

From his link

“Publication of stolen state secrets by the Guardian newspaper was a “criminal act” and it is wrong to paint the newspaper’s journalists as “virtuous whistleblowers”, the former terrorism watchdog has said. “

6. 45 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm

OF COURSE, I was posting at the end of the previous thread before I realized a new one started.
    So if you like cat comics, you’ll have to go back there and look at for yourself. I just can’t keep going backwards. It’s too taxing! :cool:

7. 47 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Cool science-y stuff coming right up…

8. 48 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I certainly hope the child who took this photo still has all his/her extremities in tact.

9. 49 Allison
    October 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

The future Mayor of NYC and his wife are following me on Twitter!

• 50 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 25, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I miss Brooklyn! I lived not too far from Junior’s when I was a kid and got many a cheesecake from there. Good times. I’m so excited about future mayor de Blasio, an unapologetic progressive. Makes me feel optimistic about New York’s future.

I’m so happy to see pics of PBO outside of Washington, with the people again. After last month’s siege, it’s a lovely sight.

• 51 Allison
        October 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

PJ, I agree with you. Bill de Blasio will be a fantastic Mayor. I lived in Brooklyn 1978-1995 and Junior’s was a favorite place to eat!

• October 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Is this the Junior’s on DeKalb?

If it is, I was there in Mar 2002. (Only been to NYC twice ever.)

My coworkers insisted that I go there, and what struck me was how dressed up everyone was (me in my Cali-casual) on a Saturday night.

Wanted to grab a Nathan’s hot dog too, but Coney Island was closed for the winter. The subway to Coney Island was pretty much deserted too.

10. 54 a4alice
    October 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

So on the last thread I was talking about Scott Pelley’s opening for the CBS evening news this evening. To recap he was dissing Obamacare and using the term “Broken”. It just ticked me off. So after I made dinner and calmed down I worked on a tweet that took me awhile. If you’d like to retweet please feel free or tweet him too. I just think it’s wrong to use this language to try to scare people away.

11. 57 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm

12. 58 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

October 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

14. 63 a4alice
    October 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

15. 66 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I’m sorry, what? [thud!]

16. 70 Allison
    October 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

• 72 globalcitizenlinda
      October 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm

GOP will try all kinds of stuff; but I doubt that PBO is going to alter the implementation of ObamaCare as long as the website works.

even with this massive media, the enrollment numbers are not as bad as many want us to think

October 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Jovie if they do that all I can say is hello Speaker Pelosi.

• 74 Bill R.
      October 25, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Honestly, I don’t think the corporatists in the party are going to let that happen. They don’t want to go down the toilet with the tea party.

17. 76 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

18. 83 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm

19. 84 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 8:05 pm

20. 88 a4alice
    October 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

here’s something nice 18 people to watch for their community work as noted by Bill Moyers. Worth a look.

21. 89 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 8:19 pm

October 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm

ROTFLMAO!

• 91 COS
      October 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Funny. Alec Baldwin is having Tweety on his show tonight. I am still trying to ascertain the purpose for his show. Last week he had Demi Moore as a guest. The first guest was fine.

• 93 Dudette
      October 25, 2013 at 9:12 pm

It’s really sickening the hawking of the books thing. Is that what his show is for now, just to sell his books?
      Sheesh, he’s taking a page from Newt Gingrich, isn’t he? Let me use every waking moment to sell people crap and line my pockets with their cash. Ideology, pfft! Integrity, eff that!

23. 94 Allison
    October 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Are they finally getting this??

• 95 Bill R.
      October 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm

A good one to retweet to media outlets.

• 96 ERICFIVE
      October 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I think that the American people have been “getting” the reality of the situation for quite some time. The state run exchanges are part of the ACA and are running perfectly well (demand has been high and few technical glitches). The MSM/GOP seem to be pretending that the state exchange numbers somehow don’t count. It is classic goalpost shifting and GOP dictated propaganda. People who have been priced out of the health insurance market will not let problems with a website (or lack of music while on hold) deter them from obtaining health insurance. Polls are consistently showing that more and more people have a favorable opinion of ACA. The actual numbers of applications approved is really pretty good considering it has only been a matter of WEEKS and the well documented website issues. People who watch a lot of cable news and those that peddle that rubbish seem to be in a bubble where problems with a website warrants predictions of doom and gloom concerning ACA. If people find that they can save money via the ACA they will sign up (as traffic to Healthcare.gov and the success of the state run exchanges clearly show). The fact that the big story is about website issues and not about people’s health insurance costs skyrocketing should show how bogus all this hyperventilating has been. The GOP was/is on the ropes due to the public rightfully blaming them for the shutdown, so the MSM had to change the subject to put the PBO/Dems on the defensive and protect/prop up the GOP (which is the MSM’s primary job). This was predicted on this very site right after the shutdown ended. We must stop allowing the blatant MSM propaganda color our view of reality. I can’t get over how petty and silly all this drama over website issues are. Folks have to realize that these pundits on TV already have health insurance, this situation is not REAL to them.

24. 97 globalcitizenlinda
    October 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

25. 98 globalcitizenlinda
    October 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

• 99 ERICFIVE
      October 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Excellent tweet. It gets to just how silly and INSANE all this drama about website issues truly are. PBO has made being President look too easy. GWB drowned an American city, crashed the economy and invaded the wrong country and PBO is being skewered because a website is have technical problems. When the GOP was railing against ObamaCare they spoke of skyrocketing premiums and death panels. Since those did not materialize the MSM decided to treat problems with a website as being equal to those two dire predictions. And for someone to have the nerve to complain about the lack of music while on hold, that should illustrate to all how bogus and trivial this latest “controversy” really is. People have to recognize how crazy they sound when they adopt the MSM meme concerning ACA.

26. 100 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm

27. 101 Allison
    October 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm

October 25, 2013 at 8:43 pm

OMG.OMG.OMG. I just went OFF on my aunt because she sent me this email:

PLEASE PASS THIS OUTRAGE TO EVERY ONE ON YOUR LIST!!
    THIS should be read by everyone, but especially important to those over 75. ……….

If you are younger, then it applies to your parents.

Your hospital Medicare admittance has just changed under Obama Care.

You must be admitted by your primary Physicianin order for Medicare to pay for it!

If you are admitted by an emergency room doctor it is treated asoutpatient care

where hospital costs are not covered.This is only the tip of the iceberg for ObamaCare.

Just wait to see what happens in 2013 & 2014!

At age 72, today, I went to the Dr. for my monthly B 12 shot that I have been getting

for a number of years. The nurse came and got me, got out the needle filled and ready

to go then looked at the computer and got very quiet and asked if I was prepared to pay for it.

I said no that my insurance takes care of it.

She said, that Medicare had turned it down and she went to talk to my Dr. about it.

15 minutes later she came back and said, she was sorry but they had tried every-thing

they could butMedicare is beginning to turn many things down for seniors because of the projected ObamaCare coming in. She was brushing at tears and said,

“Some day they too will get old”, I am so very sorry!!

Please for the sake of many good people, please… pass this on.

We all need to be informed

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS…

At age 76 when you most need it, you are not eligible for cancer treatment
    page 272

What Nancy Pelosi didn’t want us to know until after the healthcare bill was passed.

Remember she said,

“We have to pass the Bill so that we can see what’s in it.”
    Well, here it is.

Obama Care Highlighted by Page Number

THE CARE BILL HB 3200

JUDGE KITHIL IS THE 2ND OFFICIAL WHO HAS OUTLINED

THESE PARTS OF THE CARE BILL.

Judge Kithil of Marble Falls, TX – highlighted the most egregious pages of HB3200

Please read this……. especially the reference to pages 58 & 59

JUDGE KITHIL wrote:
    Page 50/section 152:
    The bill will provide insurance to all non-U.S. residents, even if they are here illegally.!!!!

Page 58 and 59:
    The government will have real-time access to an individual’s bank account and

will have the authority to make electronic fund transfers from those accounts.

Page 65/section 164:
    The plan will be subsidized (by the government) for all union members,

union retirees and for community organizations

(such as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now – ACORN).

Page 203/line 14-15:
    The tax imposed under this section will not be treated as a tax.

(How could anybody in their right mind come up with that?)

Page 241 and 253:
    Doctors will all be paid the same regardless of specialty,

and the government will set all doctors’ fees.

Page 272. section 1145:
    Cancer hospital will ration care according to the patient’s age.

Page 317 and 321:
    The government will impose a prohibition on hospital expansion;

however, communities may petition for an exception.

Page 425, line 4-12:
    The government mandates advance-care planning consultations.

Those on Social Security will be required to attend an “end-of-life planning”

seminar every five years. (Death counseling..)

Page 429, line 13-25:

The government will specify which doctors can write an end-of-life order.

HAD ENOUGH???? ……..

Judge Kithil then goes on to identify:
    “Finally, it is specifically stated that this bill will not apply to members of Congress.

Honorable David Kithil of Marble Falls, Texas:
    All of the above should give you the ammo you need to oppose Obamacare.

Please send this information on to all of your email contacts.

October 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Can someone send this to someone important that can address this pack of lies? Honest to god…I saw flames come out my eyes when I read this POS!!!

• October 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Oh Gawd…….I got that email couple of years ago. Some folks on here helped me respond. Botton line is that all those page numbers or section numbers don’t even exist in the actual bill. The whole thing is a mess of lies and scare tactics. WHY or WHY are people still sending this crap around the country????? I know, that was a question that we all know the answer to–FEAR!

October 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I just sent her all the facts and site listings from here about healthcare…told her that I hoped she sends the facts around to her email list as quickly and easily as she did the lies. I told her that I was sad and mad that she did this…like a sheep…..especially considering what my uncle went through. He needed, and got, a heart transplant and lived about 30 years longer BECAUSE of that heart transplant! More, “I got mine, fuck you” and I was furious. This isn’t the first time she’s sent this kind of BS to me….I ALWAYS send her back the truth and try to stay civil…we make allowances for family. This time, she REALLY pissed me off.

October 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Wait…I can hit “reply all” and send the truth out there, right?

• 110 purpleshoesla
            October 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Yes Df you can (and should!! in my humble opinion) if you can see all the email addresses.

In fact I did that last year when I got something forwarded to me equally false and outrageous about our illustrious’ Prez’s purported out of control spending through a chain of forwarded emails. I hit reply all (and I think I even copied and pasted the email addresses in the cc box just to make sure) and politely said unfortunately this is completely false;here’s why, complete with links to facts. I also said something along the lines of I’m sure (name of the person who sent) had NO idea that this was false, and certainly didn’t want to spread something untrue like this over the Internet. Sometimes the Internet can make things look so official, but alot of times its not. Then I put in a plug for the Obama Diary as a good spot to get the truth about what’s going on thanked everyone for a chance to set the record straight. All sweet, la dee dah.. :smile: I never got another email from the person who forwarded the email, but at least 15 folks (that I didn’t know) but were on the email chain, responded back to me to say thanks. And I continued to send them all links to articles, clips right here from TOD posts all during the campaign.

#OneVoiceCanChangeARoom (or an Email chain as it were!) Happy Birthday! I’m sure there’ll be some Stevie Wonder being played in your honor this weekend! :lol:

• 111 a4alice
            October 25, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Yep. You go girl! #TRUTHOUT :D

• 112 Ladyhawke
      October 25, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Looks like it has been documented by SNOPES.COM

CLAIM: Letter from Judge David Kithil provides accurate line item criticisms of “Obamacare” health care reform legislation.

IT IS FALSE …..

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/kithil.asp#X0oYU6jcIWEK4Mdg.99

October 25, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Thank you, Ladyhawke:) I sent these links to her and told her that she’s been HAD..and she now needs to correct her mistake by forwarding the links to the TRUTH that i sent to her. I’ll let you all know if she replies.

• 114 Ladyhawke
          October 25, 2013 at 9:31 pm

– she’s been HAD. —

No problem DF. It’s really said to see good people being hoodwinked by such deep deep hatred. It’s a real challenge, but we have to counter with the facts every time.

29. 115 lamh36
    October 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm

See Booman gets it!

A Word on a Non-Story
    by BooMan

More than three weeks into the official roll-out of ObamaCare, I haven’t written a word in defense or as criticism of the website Healthcare.gov. The reason is pretty simple. I am perfectly content to have the Republicans pushing to make the website, and therefore the law, work better. I know that the administration is mortified about the problems they’ve encountered and totally motivated to fix them as soon as possible. They don’t need scolding from me.
    I’m not in the camp that thinks there is some moral duty not to criticize the administration over these problems, but I definitely don’t see why anyone should feel obligated to pile on. The problems will get fixed and we’ll all move on.

In the meantime, every time the Republicans criticize the website they are defending the law, and I think that is great. I’ll be happy to give them credit for speeding up the fixes and helping to make sure the law is implemented correctly. Good job, morons.

30. 117 Dudette
    October 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm

31. 118 a4alice
    October 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

ok This made me laugh

32. October 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

This just melts my heart: