Oct

The Day in Photos and Videos

Cathey Park of Cambridge, Massachusetts wears a cast for her broken wrist with “I Love Obamacare” written upon it prior to President Obama’s arrival to speak about health insurance at Faneuil Hall in Boston

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino gives President Obama a Boston Red Sox cap as he arrives at Boston Logan Airport

President Obama leaves a tent with NBA basketball legend Bill Russell after being given a preview of a statue of Russell. At left is Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick

President Obama smiles after he said that environmental protesters who interrupted his speech were at the wrong event as he speaks at Boston’s historic Faneuil Hall about the federal health care law

Cathey Park holds up her cast to show the signature of President Obama after he signed it

Text of remarks here

Text of remarks here

With Sesame Street’s Elmo and Rosita looking on, First Lady Michelle Obama and White House Chef Sam Kass help school children in the annual fall harvest of the White House Kitchen Garden

More later, or in the morning – depending on Danny’s destruction levels.

121 Responses to “The Day in Photos and Videos”

1. 1 GGail
    October 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I Love POTUS 2 !

2. 2 Proud Former White House Intern
    October 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Amazing I love these photos!!!!

3. 3 GGail
    October 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I meant to say
    I love OBAMACARE 2!

October 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Sure you did, but what you were thinking popped out! :grin: Nice to see you looking down, though.

October 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Fantastic collection. Thanks Chiparoo.

5. October 30, 2013 at 7:05 pm
  6. 10 GGail
    October 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Chipsticks, thanks for the treat!
    I now must journey home.

7. 12 criquet
    October 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Bringing this over:

Poor MSM, still at it and failing:

Guess they thought no one would notice since no one noticed their 2012 polls with Romney leading and heading to victory!!!!

LOL.

• October 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Wait, what, they posted the demographics, and still had the temerity to place validity in their polling?

• October 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm

And as McKenzie says, if the GOP is rating at 22% with those polling demographics, they’re doing even worse among the population at large, which for some reason NBC doesn’t deem fit to survey.

• 15 criquet
      October 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm
      • October 30, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Media sponsored polls (e.g., NBC/WSJ-Rupert Murdoc) are designed to generate a predefined outcome to create a news narrative. They should never be taken at face value.

• 17 dotster3
      October 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Not that I would ever in a million years watch FOXNews, but I can’t imagine they are any worse than NBC currently. They are on an anti-Obama tear. I attribute much, if not all, of this to their “political director” Chuck Todd. Tonight was despicable again, including the way they framed and edited all the news tidbits from today. And first they had on Michael Isikoff scaring everyone from signing up for Obamacare, saying all their personal information is at risk and can be shared with everyone under the sun. And here’s what they have been doing lately with all these alarming, misleading stories. After spending 10 minutes on their fright fest, at the very end of their report, they hurriedly insert a truthful statement with the very last sentence, so it’s all okay. Isikoff added in a fast whisper, “WH officials assure there is stringent security in place.” Damage already done. Then Chuck Todd comes on to tout their current poll numbers and decided to make it all about President Obama, saying “the public has lost confidence in his leadership”, which he has been saying a lot lately. He proudly listed all the recent manufactured scandals affecting the public mood and smirked proudly while he reported. Then—again—-at the very last second he hurriedly added that GOP approval has fallen to 22% and that 74% of the public blames the GOP for all the dysfunction in D.C. I see what they’re doing, and it would be laughable if it wasn’t so purposely damaging.

• 18 Vicki
        October 30, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Hard to be much worse than MSNBC. Corporate crap.

Their new website is purely propaganda. Useless if what you want is info.
        A featured article prominently displayed is about Kathleen Sebellius’s “unfortunate” whatever during the grueling hearing.
        I logged on for what will be my one and only trip to the site and told them that what they are doing is propaganda and therefore worthless.

GE is sponsoring the website. GE’s enthusiasm for ACA and President Obama died about the time it became clear that expensive systems for managing medical records weren”t going to be a big part of Obamacare.

In the same vein Politico’s lead story about today’s ACA hearing highlighted the 10 second disruption.

The media is way past useless and far into dangerous.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Their re-launched website is a disaster, IMO.

I know I’m technically challenged, but news sites should be user-friendly.

I can’t get their video segments URLs to tweet or bring over here.

Search is worthless.

Cannot believe that Richard Wolffe had this many months to come up with such a worthless end result.

Dotser: I felt sick reading your recap of upChuck’s performance tonight. How many screw ups is he allowed and not get fired or demoted? He flipped off someone on-camera on Morning Joe awhile back, he’s got a petition with over 100K signatures asking for accountability, and NBC/MSNBC ignores.

Wish all of America would ignore NBC, CBS, ABC etc. who are purposely trying to undermine this country. Just remarkable and beyond words.

October 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm

How about a poll done concerning what we think of polls and the media? I bet the media approval numbers will be low. But we won’t see that, I bet.

8. October 30, 2013 at 7:11 pm

More later, or in the morning – depending on Danny’s destruction levels.

The time for obedience school is NOW. Take it from someone who’s been there.

9. October 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I love the photos of FLOTUS and the children who tended her garden today along with the Sesame Street duo. So sweet.

• October 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Meta,

Per your recommendation, I watched FLOTUS announcing Elmo and Rosita on the previous thread.

You know the MSM echo-chamber lazy journalists will mock this event, but she said something really amazing that the MSM (if they weren’t so lazy and so determined to undermine the Obama Adm) should report on.

Michelle said that when an Elmo stick was placed on apples, when given a choice betwen a cookie or an apple (with an Elmo sticker), apples were more popular with children.

The Sesame Street characters are being offered free to the Produce Assn. so it’s a win-win-win endeavor, not the “capitalism conquers all” mentality of GOP and MSM.

• October 30, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Yes! I thought that was an amazing finding. We know that children are highly susceptible to advertising so if we just use these characters to sell healthy foods, it will result in a great change in childhood obesity rates.

10. 25 itgurl_29
    October 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm

The First Lady loos amazing, as usual. I can’t believe she’s almost 50. She could pass for 35 easily.

11. October 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm
  12. October 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm

GE Chips, TOD…….. Wonderful round-up!

Wendy Davis could have been barred from voting by Texas’ new law. She was saved only by a change in the law that she herself pushed.

October 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Oh my these are some of the most Beautiful pics of our FLOTUS (and POTUS too)!!

14. October 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

SWEET!!

15. October 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm

In lieu of the dumb Keystone XL protesters today in Boston, a timely must read:

October 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm
  17. October 30, 2013 at 7:32 pm

For me, the new Twitter enhancements make it difficult to open tweets. (I don’t mind the photos appearing in timelines, since I mostly rely on TOD and Twitter #discover for tweets, and photos displayed on #discover for as long as I have used the feature.

Japa posted this “insider” perspective on cancelled medical insurance politices this morning, which I thought was very good and informative (Japa: I took to the liberty to correct one small typo in your posting):

And my response is that maybe it’s time to bring out the “F” word — fraud — to describe the policies, much like we’d like to see this “F” word used when pursuing criminal complaints against the largest U.S. banks:

October 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm
    • October 30, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Love it!

You’re definitely on a roll.

Looking forward to you as Joan Walsh tomorrow.

Not sure who is more insufferable — Joan or Andrea Mitchell (my assignment).

October 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks.

Joan Walsh? On the original list, I was John King. (1) Who hates me this much? (2) I’ll even trade you for Andrea Mitchell, if you want. Let me know! In fact, could I talk you into that right now? Ha.

• October 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Oh, definitely, let’s swap — or you can use the John King costume you rushed out and bought over the weekend — I don’t think he was assigned to anyone here in TODville.

So you have your choice.

It’s the least I could do after seeing VP Joe with Mariska, which I know broke your heart (mine too).

October 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Oh, thanks so much. I might have a lot more venom I mean Halloween spirit about Andrea than John. Are you keeping the master list or just reminding folks?

Regarding Joe with Mariska, I’m happy if they’re happy – and it’s hard to tell with him, because Joe always looks happy!

• October 30, 2013 at 8:52 pm

IMO, Andrea Mitchell is much, much worst than Joan Walsh. Andrea is a very wicked, dishonest, professional liar.

19. October 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  20. 42 LadyTNT
    October 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm

OMG!!! I give props to all of you that watch cable news on a daily basis. I was flipping thru channels and I stopped on HLN (a fake news channel anyway) and the lady was like, “wait to you here what VP Biden said about Obamacare!” So I wait, like an idiot. And basically he apologizes for the glitches and the lady asked did he try to get on site and he says, “the president tried and my daughter tried, but I didn’t cause clearly I wasn’t getting on.” Now she has an effing breakdown because he said that! How does she know he doesn’t mean he didn’t try because he’s technically challenged, which he said earlier in the interview. Then she starts talking about how she appreciates the admin taking full responsibility for the issues, but she’s sick of the apologies and blah, blah, blah. And I called this lady and the guest she had on everything, but the child of God in less than two mins and that further confirmed that I can not watch these shows!!

Anyway , I have not officially gave my congratulations on Danny arriving!!! So congrats Chips!!! He’s SUPER ADORABLE!!!

Happy Birthday HZ and Eveingeorgia!!!!

October 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I Love Barack Obama:)

22. October 30, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Excellent selection of photos, Chips.

Congrats on 1st Gail!

Chips, I think you’ll like this :)

23. October 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm
    October 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears. Mrs. Obama, give me my 20-something arms back! (Really.) #WhyDidIHaveToGrowUp

October 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm
  26. October 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm
  27. October 30, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I love our CA rep, Jackie Speier

28. 63 lisalovesobama
    October 30, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Hi everyone. 2 things, left a client’s house at around 6:45 or so and their tv was on NBC where Chunky Toad’s smug voice was yapping away over a video of PBO and they the camera cut to his face and he said something about a poll and a “crisis of confidence.” What the heck kind of crap has he been spinning?
    Also, Michelle Obama is out of this world and she could have her own show if she wanted. I loved watching her with Elmo and Rossita! :)

October 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Hi, Lisa – Agree about Mrs. Obama.

Luckily, I don’t think I’ve heard the sounds of Chuck Todd’s voice in days and days and days, so cannot help you there.

• 65 lisalovesobama
        October 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Believe me, JacqueO, I could have done without it too. Forgot how much uglier the Obama hatred makes him look.

October 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm

So that’s his problem. He has turned into a caricature of the caricature he used to be, and that was bad enough.

“Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes straight to the bone.”

• October 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I sometimes see upChuck if I flip on MSNBC around 6 am Pacific Time.

Maybe it’s my groggy eyes, but recently I’m seeing a similarity between upChuck and Gollum — a goateed Gollum. I think I came to that conclusion because he looks so faded out on the TV screen.

• 68 Vicki
      October 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Chunky Toad!!!! Good one

29. 70 Jovie
    October 30, 2013 at 8:06 pm
  30. 71 a4alice
    October 30, 2013 at 8:11 pm

on the last thread (I think) someone posted Maddow’s finding of Rand Paul’s plagiarism. I consider this completely in keeping with this man’s character it should not surprise us. But taking a cue from Dotster, I think instead I will ridicule this man instead of trying to shame him. (i.e. man has none)

so ahem. Here’s this offering:

October 30, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I don’t even like to type this, but I’m not quite sure I would have bought off on all of the words in this tweet. Seriously could have used the language patrol on the “shot” part.

Bill de Blasio ‏@deBlasioNYC 1m
    The bottom line is: whose side are you on? Bill’s fighting to make sure every New Yorker has a shot. #nyc2013

• October 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yes, “fair shake” is what PBO wants to replace the New Deal.

Hopefully we’ll hear “Fair Shake” as a rallying cry in 2014.

P.S. – responded to you upthread, your choice as to which costume you don tomorrow.

October 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thanks again, Arapaho – responded to your offer and will dress up as Andrea Mitchell – in name only – tomorrow! I don’t dislike Joan Walsh as much as I do Andrea, so sorry you didn’t get the better deal, there.

32. 76 Jovie
    October 30, 2013 at 8:13 pm

The president is at 1% approval in the new Zogby/yougov/Rasmussen/ your mother poll.

October 30, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Jovie, have you not seen my cry for help re the twitter machine? I’ve been trying all evening to set up a second account and can’t seem to get it to show up. I finally signed on to one on tweetdeck, but it’s not showing up when I send a message. In fact the little message thingy just turns around and around and around. What am I doing wrong?

33. October 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm
  34. 82 dotster3
    October 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I see romance—–a scene from an edgy, intriguing, darkly romantic, dubbed in English foreign film I used to frequent in college. Maybe?

• 83 carolyn
      October 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I love Paris…..in any weather. This reminds me of the gorgeous rain scenes in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg….Catherine Deneuve’s first film. That really shows my age…..1963, a rainy night with a handsome man, music by Michel LeGrand…..yes, this is overall super romantic and a bit edgy. Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

• October 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Love those Euro flicks from the early 1960s.

Think the streets were always rain-slicked, if memory serves me right.

Really makes a difference in the scenes of a movie or photograph.

Beautfiul photo.

35. 86 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    October 30, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Received the following email today — may be of interest to you:

Dear Sunlight Academy Scholar,

Interested in staying on top of what’s happening in Congress? From the latest votes, to bill activity to information about your representative, our relaunched OpenCongress has that plus more in an easy to use site. The tool is a free, open source and nonpartisan resource that collects and aggregates the official congressional information daily from Capitol Hill.

Join us next Tuesday, November 5 at 1pm ET, for an introduction to OpenCongress and learn how it can be an effective tool for your work. The session will cover basic functions for legislative research as well as teach you to optimize OpenCongress for your use, from creating issue specific widgets, comparing voting records between two lawmakers (“head to head” function), setting email alerts for federal bills and creating a user account.

The session will also explore the data that powers OpenCongress and provide insight on how we developed the tool while soliciting feedback on future functionalities.

Want to learn more about OpenCongress? You can also read more about our relaunch in our blog.

We hope you can join us on Tuesday at 1 pm for the webinar and visit Sunlight Academy to see a list of upcoming and archived events.

Missed any of our trainings? Watch archived webinars at Sunlight Academy.

Keep learning,
    Sunlight Headmaster, Amy, Dan and your training team

36. 87 Jovie
    October 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm

What was the generic Dem/ republican in nbc poll?

October 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    October 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I need all of your help:) Tomorrow is our TOD Halloween party and my son only has tomorrow night off work…he is taking me to dinner…I’m hoping that since there’s a 3 hour time difference between the east coast and the west coast (my time) that it won’t matter too much. If someone wants to step in for me as Boner the Lazy Ass Liar tomorrow until I return from dinner…that would be great:) You wouldn’t have to do much….take the paycheck, say no to everything, hate women, children, old people, workers and immigrants….hate LGBT, students and basically any and everyone that isn’t able to give him some scrilla….be a pathetic, whiny ass titty baby…and cry…A LOT. Don’t forget to pray to God to tell you what to do…”Should I shut the govt down and default on the nation’s debt that I approved already, God?” You know…stuff like that. You’d only be on the hook until I got back from dinner…..my son can drive home, so maybe I can be shitfaced by the time I get back…you know, like Boner!

Any takers?? :)

• 93 a4alice
      October 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

DF I will pop in after work (central time) and see if you are here channeling Boner. If you are not I can do my best imitation of a drunk that I can muster until you arrive. (or the kids start knocking on my door!) :D

• 96 amk for obama
      October 30, 2013 at 8:45 pm

so basically, you don’t want to play the role assigned to you ? You ARE boner.

October 30, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Oh stoooooooooooop! I loved that I got to be Boner for a Day! As you know…this old bag ‘o bones had a birthday last Saturday…my son works 6 days/wk…..WAS going to take me out yesterday night…but he had to work…so we switched it to tomorrow…..how is that construed that I don’t want to be Boner for a Day??? !!!! :) :) Do YOU want to hand out the checks from tobacco lobbyists on the House floor for me????

• 98 amk for obama
          October 30, 2013 at 9:11 pm

yeah, bring the vote to end govt shut down after the govt was shut down. hf did give you the right role.

Have fun tomorrow.

October 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Great flotus pics.

40. October 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Oh, for God’s sakes, this is just so freakin’ stupid!

Landrieu to propose halting vanishing health plans
    By: Manu Raju
    October 30, 2013 12:05 PM EDT

Sen. Mary Landrieu said Wednesday she would propose legislation to ensure all Americans could keep their existing insurance coverage under Obamacare, a fresh sign of the political problems the law’s rollout has created for congressional Democrats.

Landrieu, a Democrat who faces a tough reelection in Louisiana in 2014, said she would either offer her own bill or formally sign onto another measure that would ensure that the law would not force anyone off of their existing health policies.

“The promise was made, and it should be kept,” Landrieu said in the Capitol Wednesday. “And it was our understanding when we voted for that bill that people when they have insurance could keep with what they had. So I’m going to be working on that fix.”

• 105 utaustinliberal
      October 30, 2013 at 8:45 pm

What an idiotic and grandstanding move.

Hmmm….leave people with their shitty insurance that will drop them when they are most in need or make sure insurance companies provide comprehensive and affordable health insurance that is ALWAYS there for you.

The choice is sooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. :roll:

October 30, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Shorter Mary Landrieu: If your insurance company wants to fuck you over because you have junk insurance that pays for NOTHING if you need it…it’s ok by me! Shame on PBO for actually CARING about fairness and equity and getting your money’s worth…

• 107 Claire
        October 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm

She is so stupid. Truly she doesn’t even have to say anything. Just shut up Mary.

• 108 Claire
        October 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

She’s so dumb. The insurance companies are canceling the plans because they do not meet the requirements of the law. So there is nothing for people to “keep.” The insurers have to provide better plans. She doesn’t even realize she is advocating changing the law. She is a moron.

October 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I am so sick of these weak knees Democrats, Landrieu is so scare of losing. Fight for me to have the best of coverage, not some piece of junk.

• 111 a4alice
      October 30, 2013 at 8:54 pm

huh. So I just have been seeing all kinds of tweets about when your insurance plan gets dropped – it’s not a bad thing. it’s bad insurance. The #ACA is here to help you and it does. Nuts to this lady. I’m finding those tweets and modifying them so that they go to her. Here’s a great one from Arapaho. She just posted it upthread

• 114 Ladyhawke
      October 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm

This is freaking unbelievable. But sadly true to form for Mary Landrieu. She is a royal pita. A thorn in President Obama’s side. She reminds me of Blanche Lincoln. This doesn’t make any sense at all. Why would anyone want to keep a crappy policy that does not meet the standards of the ACA? This was a non issue, but it became catnip for the feckless media.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm

She clearly either doesn’t understand the law or is 100% pandering idiot. And yes, she does remind me of Blanche Lincoln, for sure!

• 116 nathkatun7
      October 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

With Democrats like Mary Landrieu, who needs Republican cowards. Mary Landrieu cares more about being re-elected than he does about protecting his constituents from crapy health insurances that do not cover basic needs. What we need are pragmatic Democrats, like the Kentucky Governor, who put people above politics.

41. October 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm
  42. 120 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    October 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

So wish I coud remember the name of the idiot female congresscritter that was badgering the Sec. about maternity care…

43. 121 Ladyhawke