Oct

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Obama hugs North Point Marina owner Donna Vanzant as he tours damage done by Hurricane Sandy in Brigantine, New Jersey, October 31, 2012

Today (All Times Eastern):

12:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

12:0 Cory Booker will be sworn in as a U.S. senator by Vice President Biden

1:30: President Obama delivers remarks at the SelectUSA Investment Summit

3:15: President Obama meets with Senator-elect Cory Booker

5:15: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama welcome local children and military families to trick-or-treat at the White House

Jonathan Cohn: Guess Who Really Wants To Take Away Your Insurance: Republicans

Republicans are outraged that some Americans must give up their current insurance plans because they don’t satisfy Obamacare’s new regulations for benefits and pricing. Partly they are mad at President Obama, because he repeatedly said people who like their coverage would get to keep it. And that’s fine. As I said yesterday, Obama should have said “most” people, not “all” people. Readers can decide for themselves whether, by the standards of politics, that’s a felony or misdemeanor.

But Republicans are also making a substantive argument here. It’s unconscionable, they say, that lawmakers would force people to give up their current coverage. Just a few minutes ago, during congressional testimony by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, an angry Representative Marsha Blackburn from Tennessee practically screamed at the witness: “You’re taking away their choice!”

It’s good politics, I’m sure. It’s also breathtakingly cynical. Republicans have repeatedly endorsed proposals that would take insurance away from many more Americans—and leave them much, much worse off.

More here

LA Times: Another Obamacare Horror Story Debunked

Deborah Cavallaro is a hard-working real estate agent in the Westchester suburb of Los Angeles who has been featured prominently on a round of news shows lately, talking about how badly Obamacare is going to cost her when her existing plan gets canceled and she has to find a replacement.

She says she’s angry at President Obama for having promised that people who like their health plans could keep them, when hers is getting canceled for not meeting Obamacare’s standards.

“Please explain to me,” she told Maria Bartiromo on CNBC Wednesday, “how my plan is a ‘substandard’ plan when … I’d be paying more for the exchange plans than I am currently paying by a wide margin.” Bartiromo didn’t take her up on her request. So I will.

The bottom line is that Cavallaro’s assertion that “there’s nothing affordable about the Affordable Care Act,” as she put it Tuesday on NBC Channel 4, is the product of her own misunderstandings, abetted by a passel of uninformed and incurious news reporters.

I talked with Cavallaro, 60, after her CNBC appearance. Let’s walk through what she told me…

More here

Spandan (The People’s View): The Cheapest Shot Against Obamacare, And Why Men Should Pay for Maternity

Right wing Obamacare opponents have a rehashed talking point: the Affordable Care Act forces people to purchase coverage for things they do not need. This accusation comes from the fact that the ACA requires insurance plans to cover maternity and newborn care, and that is outrageous because men, who will never get pregnant, are being forced to pay for a policy that covers maternity care.

It’s heartening to see the sudden Republican realization that men will never get pregnant; one only wishes they could apply such factual conviction to decisions about a pregnancy and let those who do get pregnant, rather than the government, determine whether to carry those pregnancies to term.

But I digress. Before the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies were free to charge women more for health insurance than men – essentially treating the fact of being female as a pre-existing condition – with the excuse that women could get pregnant, and thus they, and not those who couldn’t be pregnant, should have to pay for the cost of childbearing.

More here

@DahmPublishing

Steve Benen: Budget Deficit Shrinks To Five-Year Low

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor recently appeared on Fox News and when the discussion turned to the budget, the Virginia Republican said lawmakers should be “focused on trying to deal with the ultimate problem, which is this growing deficit.”

In reality, the deficit is not growing; it’s shrinking:

For the first time in five years, the U.S. government has run a budget deficit below $1 trillion….

This is the fastest deficit reduction seen in the United States since the end of World War II.

More here

Laura Smith-Spark: Syria Has Met First Chemical Weapons Destruction Deadline, OPCW Says

Syria has destroyed all its declared chemical weapons mixing, filling and production facilities, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said Thursday. The watchdog body’s announcement means that the first deadline has been met in an ambitious program to eliminate the country’s entire chemical weapons stockpile by the middle of next year. The joint United Nations-OPCW mission visited 21 out of 23 sites, the OPCW statement said, and 39 of the 41 facilities at those sites.

The remaining two sites were too dangerous for the inspectors to go to, it said, but Syria had declared those sites as abandoned. The chemical weapons equipment there was moved to other sites, which were inspected. The OPCW said it was “now satisfied that it has verified — and seen destroyed — all of Syria’s declared critical production and mixing/filling equipment.” The next milestone for the mission will be November 15, it said, when the body’s executive council must approve a detailed plan submitted by Syria for the destruction of its chemical weapons stockpile.

More here

CNBC: US-Single Family Home Prices Rise In Aug, Yearly Gain Best Since 2006

U.S. single-family home prices rose in August and also posted their strongest annual gain in more than seven years, a closely watched survey showed on Tuesday. The report suggested the housing sector continued to recover despite those headwinds. Home prices have been rising nationally since early 2012 and economists have singled out housing as one of the bright spots of the U.S. recovery.

More here

BX3GNKCCMAAJQSa.jpg-large

Think Progress: Senate May Soon Have Enough Votes To Pass Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) To Protect LGBT Workers

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has promised a Senate vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) before Thanksgiving, and possibly as early as next week. This bill, which has been proposed in every Congress since 1994, would make it illegal for employers to make hiring, promotion, or firing decisions based on an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Like all Senate legislation, ENDA will require a cloture vote of 60 votes before it can pass, and it seems the votes are almost all there, with several new endorsements this week.

An overwhelming majority of the country believe the employment protections already exist at the federal level, when in fact only 21 states protect sexual orientation and 17 protect gender identity. Under the current mosaic of protections, LGBT people have indicated that they much prefer working in states where they are protected, impacting businesses across the country.

More here

Marine One departs the South Lawn of the White House at the start of President Obama’s trip to Boston, Oct. 30, 2013 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

@NewsBreaker: White House decorated for Halloween as POTUS returned from Boston

On This Day:

President Obama and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie talk with local residents at the Brigantine Beach Community Center, which is serving as a shelter for those displaced by Hurricane Sandy, in Brigantine, N.J., Oct. 31, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets a woman in the audience after speaking at Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio, Oct. 31, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama waits with Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg in the Green Room of the White House before making remarks to the White House Historical Association, Oct. 31, 2011 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

It was Halloween at the White House for military families and the First Lady began dancing with some of the their children, Oct. 31, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

4075439686_b2d187f5bd_b

President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and Marian Robinson welcome children from Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia schools for Halloween festivities at the North Portico of the White House, Oct. 31, 2009. (Photo by Pete Souza)

4075455892_35703edd3a_b

First Lady Michelle Obama hands out treats during a Halloween reception for military families and children of White House staff in the East Room of the White House, Oct. 31, 2009. (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama reacts to performers during a Halloween reception for military families and children of White House staff in the East Room of the White House, Oct. 31, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

124 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

October 31, 2013 at 9:41 am

Boo!

2. 8 Jovie
    October 31, 2013 at 9:47 am

• October 31, 2013 at 9:57 am

Jovie, Pennsylvanians have the short end of the stick in this fight. Our corrupt and incompetent governor refused to extend Medicaid and he has put a virtual blockade on information about AHCA getting to people in this state. We are 100 percent reliant on federal information. I despised our governor before he became a monumental health care road block and now I utterly detest him. You can be sure I will do everything in my power to replace him in 2014.

• October 31, 2013 at 11:33 am

Standing shoulder to shoulder with you on this one jackie….oopssssss…

in my Obamacare Hater costume…

i am one of those uninformed voters who vote for Toomey because i always vote against my own interests…

3. October 31, 2013 at 9:48 am

First!!!!!! Thank yooooooooooooooooou Mrs Torres!!!

4. October 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

Good Morning UT, TODers…Everyone!

I hope that all of you enjoy your day!!!

5. October 31, 2013 at 9:57 am

In my opinion, the ACA has really exposed how insufficient these sub-par insurance policies were; something many policy holders may not have discovered until they needed it. In addition, I think one of the unexpected fall-outs (or benefits) from this phase of the ACA implementation is the attention drawn to the number of people who are (were) “victims” of these policies; the number of people who are “underinsured”.

Trying to make this out as a flaw of Obamacare, spinning it as deception in selling the ACA, is an effort to detract from some of the real issues that are coming to light as a result of this law; trying to draw attention away from how people are truly benefiting from this law.

6. 19 dotster3
    October 31, 2013 at 9:58 am

I don’t think I was assigned a Halloweeny character—–so thought maybe I could be Suzanne—–foremost esteemed authority on Obamacare and I have sex with my husband multiple times a day, tee hee—-Somers. Unless she’s already taken. Please advise.

7. October 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

GM all. This is a day of torture for my poor husband. He has to fast all day for an 8:00 a.m. colonoscopy tomorrow and there are two big bags of Halloween candy sitting in our kitchen waiting for the onslaught tonight. He ‘forgot’ the special temptations of this day when he made the appointment.

8. 41 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 31, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good Mahhhhning. Ariahhhhhna Huffington here. I will hhhave ahhhll you peons know that I ahhhm taking a 90 percent cut of every word you ahhhll post here on my blog now and forevermore. It’s only right, dahhhlings, as I am the owner and creator of this website and you will benefit from the reflected exposure that my sunlit and bedazzled genius ahhhfords you.

Now excuse me, ahhhll, I need to go work on my memoir featuring me of course. It will also double as a hhhandbook on female empowerment and success. My best friends, Newt, Mauhhhreen Dowd, and I will be writing it from our yahhhcht in the Caymans, where I will send ahhhll proceeds of course. While on our voyage, Mo and I will ahhhlso spend many many frustrated hours pondering Obahhhma’s mahhhnliness. Should be a smahhhshing time.

By the way, don’t try to leave any negative comments about my new tome at my website, dahhhlings. I’ve instructed ahhhll my slav—mohhhderators to send ahhhhll such bothersome distractions to pending purgatory. You do understand.

Toodaloo, and trick or treat dahhhlings!

October 31, 2013 at 10:04 am

October 31, 2013 at 10:08 am

11. 55 Linda
    October 31, 2013 at 10:11 am

Mornin

Since I am John King I will spend my day giving false information and reporting on ” dark skinned men in custody ” !

October 31, 2013 at 10:14 am

October 31, 2013 at 10:18 am

I don’t even know who I’m supposed to be for Halloween. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Boehner? Who am I playing?

14. October 31, 2013 at 10:19 am

“FAA says airlines can expand passenger use of portable electronic devices during all phases of flight”

—–

The Federal Aviation Adminstration just announced that they’re expanding passenger use of electronic devices to all phases of flight:
    …The FAA has determined that airlines can safely expand passenger use of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs) during all phases of flight, and is immediately providing the airlines with implementation guidance.

• October 31, 2013 at 10:22 am

Van Jones here….

You know, I love this president and I respect this president…

but this is just another way for the government to conduct their overreaching, unaccountable spy program.

Keep it GREEN

October 31, 2013 at 10:19 am

16. October 31, 2013 at 10:25 am

GM Chips, TOD. UT wonderful roundup…….. I still hold out my offer to switch Halloween costumes w/ you. My Ted Cruz for your Karl Rove?

Thus began several references, each more painful than the last, to Oz, Kansas, following the yellow brick road, pulling back the curtain, the wonderful things the Wizard does — and, for good measure, something about Chicken Little, although he did not appear in the 1939 classic. And, sure enough, the Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee went after Sebelius like so many flying monkeys. But — spoiler alert! — the film doesn’t turn out well for Dorothy’s persecutors, and the hearing, likewise, didn’t turn out to be the humiliation for Sebelius that Republicans had in mind. Dorothy melted the Wicked Witch with a bucket of water; Sebelius doused her questioners with an unexpected and extended confession of responsibility.

“Access to HealthCare.gov has been a miserably frustrating experience for way too many Americans,” she said in her opening statement. “So let me say directly to these Americans: You deserve better. I apologize. I’m accountable to you for fixing these problems. And I’m committed to earning your confidence back by fixing the site.”

This was a sneaky and dastardly thing for her to do: sneaky, because it wasn’t in the advance testimony she gave the committee, and dastardly, because in today’s Washington, any acceptance of responsibility is so rare that the Republicans — who were counting on her evading and deflecting — were bound to be caught off-guard.

• 81 utaustinliberal
      October 31, 2013 at 10:30 am

Oh hell no. Trade one crazy for something crazier? Good luck to you. :lol:

October 31, 2013 at 10:39 am

I wish I could contact Mrs. Sebelius and give a word of thanks and support for what she had to suffer through at that hearing. I had no idea that the Republican Larry, Moe, and Curly of the Three Stooges would be there asking question. Seem they were lost somewhere in Oz land. I am going to see if I can fine a address or phone number to contact Mrs. Sebelius.

17. 84 anniebella
    October 31, 2013 at 10:32 am

If I ever had any doubt that the media, the MSM were against President Obama, well I have no doubt now. I have watch the lies and half-truths they have told about the rollout of the ACA (Obamacare). And I’ve found myself wondering am I watching Fox news, it’s like it’s CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC agenda to bring down the ACA. And it just might be, because there are alot of Republicans doing these negative stories.

• 85 Linda
      October 31, 2013 at 10:44 am

Carol Costello of CNN has been very good going after the Republicans and their lies right to their faces.

She just did it to Sean Spicer…the Communications Director for the RNC.

October 31, 2013 at 10:40 am

19. October 31, 2013 at 10:41 am

For the idiots in the media: The Health Insurance Lobby, who tried to kill the ACA initially, have actual guidelines for what constitutes redeemable policies.

October 31, 2013 at 10:48 am

Karl Rove here. I refuse to concede Ohio. Pres. Obama and Mitt Romney are only 991 votes away. Mitt Romney is winning Ohio. Megyn? Megyn? MEGYN!!!! You go down to the decision desk and tell them that Romney is winning Ohio.

You know what? I’m just going to get on my Bush Is The President Ever plane and go down to Ohio to count the votes myself. Barack Obama did not win Ohio. What kind of funky math is this? What kind of witchcraft is this? The votes are still being counted.

Why are you calling Ohio for Barack Obama? WHY ARE YOU CALLING OHIO FOR BARACK OBAMA? Megyn? Stop that. Megyn, stop calling Ohio for Pres. Obama.

Why is Barack Obama having a second inauguration? Ohio is still counting votes for Mitt Romney. OMG….what is happening? Ohio is still being counted. Mitt Romney is winning!!!! Stop swearing in Barack Obama.

Oh God…..I need a lollipop.

October 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

LMAO! This is hillarious!! :) :) You are quite unhinged this morning Mr. Rove.

As Chuck Todd: Mr. Rove how many new memos are you currently faxing to the media or RNC…as we speak…we are waiting for the memos to determine what narrative to push next. The ACA website fiasco narrative is getting kinda stale, Sebellius didn’t fail as we expected at the ACA website hearings, and folks just don’t seem to be bothered with it…..

• 91 Vicki
      October 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

Oh boy too too funny

• October 31, 2013 at 11:02 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I’m dying here!!!!

October 31, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hey. Boner here. WHY do people call me “Boner?” I haven’t had one of those in too many years to count! WTF! Off to work….

22. 95 Vicki
    October 31, 2013 at 10:59 am

For today I am Chris Cilliza. It is a giant task to get that unearned enthusiasm, breathlessness, confused and confusing mish-mash I offer instead of facts right.
    But I’ll try: Today President Obama may or may not be in trouble because……oh well no can do.

October 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

LOL!

24. 101 japa21
    October 31, 2013 at 11:18 am

Wolf Blitzer here to report on the latest ACA (AKA Obamacare) fiasco. We have been informed by very reliable sources that the cause of the ACA problems is a man, reported to be of dark skin coloration, whereabouts currently unknown (What do you mean it might be caused by GOP resisting setting up state exchanges, I can’t say that on the air). Excuse me, I was just informed that the suspect has been noticed being driven around in a large vehicle called “The Beast”. We are working hard to get more identification of this individual. (I told you I can’t say anything bad about the GOP on the air so stop pestering me). Excuse the interruption, my producer was trying to pass on information to me but it is not verified so I cannot and will not give you information that has not been verified to an absolute degree. After all, I am an important journalist.

I will be back in a moment to discuss the really important news of the day and answer the all important question: What will Miley Cyrus do next to cause her father to recoil in shame?

25. 103 57andfemale
    October 31, 2013 at 11:22 am

October 31, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hahahahahaha – Breaking Bad fans. We have a winner.

27. October 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

28. 107 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 31, 2013 at 11:38 am

Michele “Bats in the Belfry” Bachmann here. Look into my eyes, I compel you: LOOK INTO MY EYES! Listen, that Mr. Obama is DARKSIDED. I don’t trust him and YOU SHOULDN’T EITHER! LOOK INTO MY EYES! If we don’t stop that atheistcommunistmuslimjewishmarxistsocialistantichrist interloper NOW, AMERICA IS DOOMED! Listen, you REAL AMERICANS! He is not one of us even though he was elected twice. I REBUKE THE ELECTION RESULTS IN THE NAME OF JESUS!

WHY AREN’T YOU LOOKING INTO MY EYES!

October 31, 2013 at 11:42 am

October 31, 2013 at 11:47 am

31. 112 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2013 at 11:50 am

Out of Control Spending!

by JM Ashby

———————————

As White House Budget Director Sylvia Mathews Burwell pointed out today, the budget deficit is now only 4.1 percent of GDP. It was over 8 percent when President Obama took office.

Somebody may want to inform Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, who is still fishing for the implementation of his Path to Poverty. He wants to ween the country off of our spending habits. Also our empathy, compassion, and human decency. These are not desirable traits.

The deficit will almost entirely vanish by 2017 without implementing Paul Ryan’s Dickensian wish-list

——————————————-

32. 113 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2013 at 11:53 am

“Different Political Planets” Collide: Disagreements Abound On First Day of Budget Meetings In Congress

Read more: Congress’ Budget Conference Collides the Political Planets | TIME.com http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/30/different-political-planets-collide-disagreements-abound-on-first-day-of-budget-meetings-in-congress/#ixzz2jJcU5O8v

33. 114 Jovie
    October 31, 2013 at 11:54 am

34. 115 Jovie
    October 31, 2013 at 11:56 am

35. 116 Betsy
    October 31, 2013 at 11:59 am

Happy Halloween everybody. Hope you all have a fun day. I love teaching middle school on this day as we all wear costumes; a bunch of my fellow teachers and I are minions (from the movie “Despicable Me”. I am having a blast, even though I look ridiculous. :D :D

36. 117 Nena20409
    October 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Happy Scary Day…….Mitch McConnell’s Style…..His predictions

In Oct 2010……..

His Nightmare :)

Happy Halloween TODers :!:

October 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

October 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm

October 31, 2013 at 12:07 pm

• 121 ERICFIVE
      October 31, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Weak sauce. The MSM has again and again shown itself to be in the pocket of the GOP. Members of the MSM establishment have publicly stated that it is not their job to call out GOP lies. And yet, we still have people who insist on somehow blaming this situation on Democrats or Democratic messaging. This refusal to accept reality allows this corrupt status quo to continue.

October 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Let the halloween festivities and hopefruit assigned characters continue.

New post.

41. 123 donna dem 4 obama
    October 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm

So what if I’m a dryed up old fart y’all still want to Reclaim the Republic & Restore the Constitution don’t cha?.

And..And..For a donation of $10 or more a month, you will become a member of our Patriot Giving Club! Give it up chumps…give it up ~ Ron Paul

42. 124 Jovie
    October 31, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Senate Republicans block Congressman Watt for housing finance agency.
    Surprise Harry Reid! :(