Nov

The Affordable Care Act Comes To Texas

2013-11-06T232300Z_1364621893_GM1E9B70KA501_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama waves upon arriving at Dallas Love Field in Texas

C-SPAN has video of the event here

2013-11-07T001133Z_497812326_GM1E9B70MPB01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2013-11-07T004812Z_997608524_GM1E9B70OEO01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama shakes hands with supporters after arriving at Dallas Love Field

2013-11-07T010423Z_350439378_GM1E9B70P5E01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama smiles as he is introduced to speak about Affordable Health Care to volunteers at the Temple Emanu-El

2013-11-07T010854Z_380599306_GM1E9B70PD501_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama speaks about Affordable Health Care to volunteers at the Temple Emanu-El in Dallas, Texas

2013-11-07T004350Z_1160636892_GM1E9B70O7801_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama walks as he is surrounded by U.S. Secret Service agents

133 Responses to “The Affordable Care Act Comes To Texas”

1. 1 jackiegrumbacher
    November 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hi all. The president looks wonderful in that dark suit. Wasn’t there anyone from Dallas to meet him?

• 2 jackiegrumbacher
      November 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Wow. First?

• 4 utaustinliberal
      November 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

There were. He met with the Mayor, House Reps, a Judge, and State Reps. He had a wonderful conversation with all of them and they all rode in the Beast with him to the event at the Temple.

• 5 jackiegrumbacher
        November 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks, UT, I’m glad he was accorded that welcome.

• 6 carolyn
          November 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I knew the Mayor of Dallas would be there…he always is. He was “brought up right!” I knew his mother, who died last year, and she was a gem, and any son she reared would have impeccable manners and know what is right. Also, the mayor’s position in Dallas is non-partisan. Look on the Dallas mayor’s page, and you will not see a party affiliation…..at least I didn’t when I checked six months ago.
          His mother had cancer and had a very tough last six months, and she stayed with the mayor and he took care of her during her final months. That is the quality person he is.
          Also, there are parts of Dallas…..not Preston Hollow where GWB lives…that are solid blue. That’s not known outside the city very much.

2. November 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thank yooooooooou UT!!!!!

3. November 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Is that Marvin Nicholson in the photo with all the SS guys? Doesn’t quite look like him but I’ve been wondering about him because I haven’t seen him much lately.

4. 37 dotster3
    November 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Chgo Blackhawks game way more decent than Country Music Awards

• November 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Jeff Gauvin is ripping into the CMA show.

• November 6, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Dotster, in an attempt to rekindle our friendship, I won’t mention the score of the Pacers/Bulls game tonight :)

• 40 dotster3
        November 6, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hmmmmm—-not your best rekindling effort.

• November 6, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’m rooting for Derrick Rose to come back into MVP form. I’ve always been a fan of his ever since he played for Calapari at Memphis. They should have won the NCAA championship against Kansas. Missed 7/9 free throws to end the game. I also like Joah Kim Noah….they are big PBO supporters. I used to watch Noah, when he was playing for University of Florida, with Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem…..I was getting my undergrad at Auburn University at the time. Better?

November 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm

bt, bet danny doesn’t do this.

6. November 6, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Congrats on 1rst, Jackie! Attention Chips, Bobfr, and TOD….. more for the GG/Koch/Snowden files…….

photo/1

• 50 Claire
      November 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’m betting gg’s “speech” included how Pres. Obama was just like bush/cheney and how he continued their evil spying practices. gg never tells the whole story.

• November 7, 2013 at 5:57 am

The Key,,,,is the huge turn-out….PBO has proved as these elections proved….Motivate and turn out is the key to victory…we can beat the dark money,,,,hence the focus on taking away our right to vote

7. 52 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm

My President is never skurred. He takes Obamacare right to the state with the most uninsured. Right in their face, like a Boss.

November 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Wow. This is disgusting.

• November 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

What’s amazing to me is that the producers of this show have no memory.

A decade after The Dixie Chicks were condemned by the country music community for criticizing GWBush, and yet now they attack our current President? The really puzzling thing about this is that a good many of their fans (truckers, farmers, construction, beauty, other self-employed people) are beneficiaries of affordable health care.

Remind me again how this has nothing to do with race? (rhetorical question)

November 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm
  10. 56 yardarm756
    November 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

RM is kicking some major MSM butt tonite.

11. November 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

…..Two-thirds of voters support giving states the option to expand their Medicaid programs for low-income, uninsured adults. That majority spanned the ideological spectrum on an issue that Texas lawmakers ducked last session, opting not to expand that coverage.

Three-quarters of Texas voters like the idea of tax credits for small businesses that offer health insurance to their employees. Nearly as many — 73 percent — support creation of health care marketplaces where small businesses and people without health coverage can shop for it.

Prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions has the support of 76 percent of registered Texas voters, and 61 percent, led by Democratic and independent voters, said they would support increasing the Medicare payroll tax on upper-income Americans…..

November 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • November 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Answer to question 1: Yes. Answer to question 2: probably not.

• 60 yardarm756
        November 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Better question. When will American History books be re-written to accurately reflect how this country came to be. Including the ugliness and greed ay it’s foundation.

• 61 nathkatun7
          November 7, 2013 at 12:14 am

Well said, Yardarm! By the way, this is not the first movie adaptation of Solomon Northup’s autobiography, “Twelve Years A Slave.” I remember seeing an excellent 2-hour movie (I think it was on PBS during Black History Month) entitled “Half Free, Half Slave: The Odyssey of Solomon Northup.” It was really an excellent movie. Right now I can’t recall the names of the actors. I have not seen “12 Years A Slave.” But I have read and have a copy of Solomon Northup’s autobiography that should have been/should be required reading in U.S. history classes along with other slave autobiographies, such as Fredrick Douglass’ three autobiographies and Harriet Jacobs’ “Incidents In The Life of A Slave Girl.”

• November 6, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I can attest to both the movie & the original memoir. Here is a piece I did with some excerpts and pictures, during the filming of the movie.

• November 6, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Having seen the film, I have to say that I think it’s important to see it.
      Some say it may be too brutal a depiction of slavery. No, it’s a movie about slavery. Those who actually endured slavery truly suffered.
      I think it’s important to experience the emotional impact of what is depicted. A lesson about our history, for posterity.

13. November 6, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Context

Mtmarylin, other TOD westerners……. I thought DSCC recruited the guy they wanted to replace Max Baucus, why is he getting a primary challenger?

• 70 mtmarilyn
      November 6, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I will have to check into this. Bohlinger, is very well liked but he is a very quiet man. His wife died in his first term with Schweitzer, she had cancer. I really don’t remember much about him during both of Schweitzer’s terms. I am not sure how I feel about this. I had heard good things about Walsh. Things are just starting to heat up here. It’s going to get dirty. I really despise Daines so I know I will be working for the Dem who ever it is.

14. 72 yardarm756
    November 6, 2013 at 9:32 pm

#NOT IF BUT WHEN!

November 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

’nuff said

16. November 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  17. 78 yardarm756
    November 6, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Here ya go.

18. November 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm

O/T For some evening laughter. Twitter IPO goes public tomorrow….. this must be what *sparked* their success :cool:

I’m noticing an unusual silence from VC, Layla, and their brethren regarding this matter.

19. November 6, 2013 at 9:47 pm
  20. 81 Anjo
    November 6, 2013 at 9:57 pm

As a Canadian I say kick the bum out. Question from few treads back; is the photo of putin and snowden in the hot tub real? If not why not, they deserve to live with each other

21. 83 a4alice
    November 6, 2013 at 10:05 pm

well it’s the next night after the elections and I can say that in St Paul it’s a clean sweep for democrats. Coleman re-elected and all three seats on the school board filled with DFL endorsed people.

Looks like the Mayor of Minneapolis is poised to be named (this runoff voting can take a while to tabulate) and Betsy Hodges is a Democrat so all in all a good result here in the Northland. :D

22. 85 yardarm756
    November 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Chicago is right up there with NY.

23. November 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm
    November 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Off to bed…I think I’m getting a cold or something…just want to sleep…and be able to breathe….taking LL’s favorite…Nyquil tonight! (kidding :)

25. November 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Reversing CNN’s fortunes proves a daunting task http://t.co/IgPIEzQFbR CNN hits year-low ratings as viewers tune out its coverage of ACA rollout. LOL

26. 103 a4alice
    November 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm

well I just got here but I gotta go to bed I’m bushed!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nite TOD!

27. 104 rikyrah
    November 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

The President was in Texas…

where was Wendy Davis?

November 6, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    • 107 carla4obama
      November 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Let the taunting begin!!

November 6, 2013 at 10:58 pm

This gentleman who responded to me – @VicMeyers67 – is apparently a Democratic “Congressional candidate for Colorado’s 4th CD. Running against Tea Party Republican,” according to his Twitter profile. Go, Democrats!

• November 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Am watching Martin Bashire’s show with Jonathon Capehart subbing. Guests on and the topic is comparing Rand Paul’s plagiarism reaction with PBO’s claim “If you like your insurance you can keep it” not being true and his reaction to it. Hated that line totally.

• 111 nathkatun7
      November 7, 2013 at 12:52 am

Now is the time to amplify the taunts! Rand Paul is such a spoiled child!

• November 7, 2013 at 6:40 am

Is that all it’s going to take? If his skin is that thin why is he even considering running for President?

November 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm

His daddy Ron told him it was “easy” ~ I can just hear him saying that “people will flock to you,” if you tell them the “family message.” They both only want to propagandize all of us – not work for a living.

• November 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Which is why he created his own “board” instead of being certified by legitimate boards. I wonder how he made it through college/medical school.

November 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm

There was a video shown last night (I believe by Lawrence) of his speaking to a crowd of students. He proudly told them when he was in pre-med, I think, he and his buddies would misrepresent what they heard what would be on an upcoming exam – like it would be “all about the liver.” He joked that the others would only study about the liver and miss the other topics, while he and his buddies had a leg up because of the rumor they spread.

Ethical? Not an ounce. Doesn’t appear this guy has ever been ethical.

29. November 6, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    • 120 COS
      November 6, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I signed this because I feel very strongly about this matter.

• 121 COS
        November 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Also, this plagiarism thingy is sweet karma for Rand Paul. So gad this is getting a lot of play.

• 123 nathkatun7
        November 7, 2013 at 1:03 am

I also signed, COS! CBS had a responsibility to, at least, point out that their so called eye witness told a completely different story after the incident. Right winger Radio, and blogs, newspapers and TV personalities mobilized to get Dan Rather fired after the supposedly problematic evidence about Bush’s military records. Sadly, the same has not happened from the so called leftists. Media Matters should be highly commended for insisting that CBS come clean. The supporters of President Obama must join Media Matters and pressure CBS to come clean.

November 6, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Would anyone know if the President is returning to D.C. tonight? I’m sorry, but I missed the schedule.

31. 130 yardarm756
    November 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm
  32. 131 Ladyhawke
    November 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 18m

———————————————————–

Tuesday’s lesson for Republicans:

Hug Obama and expand Medicaid.

————————————————————