Nov

To all who served, are serving, will serve, and continue to serve, we here at TOD say a big THANK YOU for the sacrifices you and yours have made and the willingness and bravery to volunteer to defend and protect our country and our world every single day. We wish you a happy and memorable Veteran’s Day.

3484860056_a69fd31ab1_b

5875554250_b904c89817_b

5835907183_da88186a5e_b

6047832044_539db9d2b6_b

6218333513_f91a3b4850_b

4470941729_f4fdf684ea_b

4291124181_47203974b3_b

“After his speech in Normandy, a crush of people tried to get close to the President to shake his hand. I noticed this guy waiting patiently and then literally being pushed back into the crowd. I felt bad for him, and mentioned the incident to the President’s trip director, Marvin Nicholson. Marvin pulled the guy out of the crowd, found him a wheel chair, and brought him over to meet the President. He was a French veteran. The man’s face shows his emotion.”
(Photo by Pete Souza)

142 Responses to “Thank You”

1. November 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Excellent June 6 2009 photo!!!!

2. 7 jewelz
    November 10, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for your service.

3. 8 Nena20409
    November 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Brilliant UT. Thank You so Much.

For all Oou TOD Vets…….A Graceful TODable Nation says: Thank You for Your Service.

Love You all. Thank You very much for your families and their dedication.

4. 10 Nena20409
    November 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Congrats Bobfr.

• November 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Near the bottom of the previous thread are several tweets from Laura Rozen and others. I’m not going to copy them here, but will add this one to the set …

5. 12 Tally
    November 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Love this UT – Thank you!

6. 14 a4alice
    November 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

this is wonderful UT thanks so much for doing this post. All these pictures of the faces of veterans who are meeting our President says it all. They are so happy to meet him and he them. This human interaction with so much good will and genuine emotion gives me hope for the future.

7. 16 rikyrah
    November 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

that last pic is priceless

November 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Beautiful, UT! Thanks so much for this Veteran’s Day tribute to heroes. Thank you to all the veterans that read here…lurkers and vocal ones alike:) True patriots, one and all. Thank you for your service to the country.

9. 21 mtmarilyn
    November 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I just got back from church and check in to find this beautiful tribute by UT. I also have to thank you for the great R&S. It is an emotional 2 days of tributes. I will tell you that this is always very hard for my husband. He was stationed in Korea instead of going to Nam. There was so much going on back them and his time in service was wrought with much emotional distress, as most were. I met him about 5 months after he came home and he had much hatred in his heart for any officer from any branch. It was many years before he could talk about it to me. His was not the horror of war, it was the horror just of serving. I can’t comprehend what the young men are going thru nowadays with the many deployments. My hears aches for them.

I want to thank all of you here, Alice, Jovie, Yardarm, and all those I have missed. All in the service and all veterans are always in my prayers. Us civilians can not comprehend all that you have gone thru for us.

I honor you all!!

10. November 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Just beautiful, what a gorgeous tribute, thank you UT.

11. 34 a4alice
    November 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Let’s hold Ryan’s feet to the fire

12. November 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Sounds like yet another farcical #MTP episode ….

• 36 dotster3
      November 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I didn’t (and don’t) watch MTP, but this sounds like more than farcical to me. Do you know the exact nature of that link Gregory tried to make? Sounds like grossly irresponsible and dangerous rhetoric to me.

• November 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

How in the world did he make that connection? Sunday morning news show should be shut down. They only use them for sound bites. Who watches them?

• 38 globalcitizenlinda
        November 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm

wondering the same

• 40 Obama Grandmama
        November 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I was fighting uneasy feelings about PBO’s trip to Dallas last week maybe due to living through the trauma of JFK’s assassination in Dallas. There are so many haters, weirdos, and bigots in the South I hold my breath when PBO is traveling there. Not sure what Gregory said, but with the crazy gun second amendment rights people out there I do not even want to hear any hints from anyone on the air.

13. 42 Nena20409
    November 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guards.

Unbelievable dedication and service. Thank You all.

14. November 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Thank you UT for honoring our Veterans. Thank you to all who contribute to TOD that are Veterans or have family members who have served. I wouldn’t have a thing if it weren’t for Veterans. I’m guessing Bill Gates wouldn’t either.

15. 57 africa
    November 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm

• 58 Nena20409
      November 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm

In August it was Putain. So looking at Russian and the French Flags, they are keeping it still with the Red, Blue and White ;)

16. 59 africa
    November 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

November 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Your work here is much appreciated, Utal – muchas gracias.
    Here’s a video segment that fits right in; Dotster shared it earlier…..

November 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks UT for this wonderful thread honoring our brave men and women who serve to protect us. In the same vein, Jefferson Obama is giving a nice history lesson on Twitter – will post some of his tweets :)

November 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

• 65 dotster3
      November 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Looks like Gauvin is trying to rehabilitate the reputation of his French ancestry after the mucking up of Iran deal.

November 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hmmmm – that’s an outside-the-box way to look at it, Dotster. Never would have thought of it myself, but I can see what you are saying. Hmmm. interestingly unusual – to me anyway.

November 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

The French are now on the wrong side of history where the Iran deal is concerned. And nothing Jeff posts about WWI can change that fact.

• 68 nathkatun7
        November 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I personally don’t the connection between the two. Jeff Gauvin was simply pointing out the TRUTH that most people are not familiar with or would rather ignore.

• 69 nathkatun7
          November 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

meant to say I don’t see any connection between Jeff Gauvin’s tweets about the Black soldiers in WW I and France’s position in the negotiations about Iran’s nuclear weapons.

• 70 nathkatun7
      November 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thank you Hopefruit for sharing this! Jeff Gauvin should be commended for pointing out the Truth about the shameful treatment of Black soldiers that many would prefer to conveniently sweep under the rug.

November 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

November 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

22. 75 globalcitizenlinda
    November 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

UT,

thanks a lot for these photographic reminders!

So few people, gave (and give) so much, in service of so many!

what a lot to sacrifice! How can we make ourselves worthy??

November 10, 2013 at 3:44 pm

24. 80 globalcitizenlinda
    November 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Please watch this young lady – Ms. 12-year-old Madison Kimrey of North Carolina. She is what Democracy is about

25. 81 africa
    November 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

26. November 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thank you UTA, for painstakingly finding the time to locate and post this wonderful gallery of photos.

Agree with BobFR about the power of the last photo, the French veteran greeting President Obama.

This is from July 4, and may be more appropriate for Memorial Day than Veterans Day, but it brings a tear to my eye to think of how the French honor Americans 70 years later. Wish that Americans had the same memory ability as other nations.

P.S. Dotster, it appears that there is more to the French balking at yesterday’s negotiations. It may be more likely that Zarif needed to go back tove Iran to discuss all aspects of the negotiations. See the end of the last thread.

We here at TOD don’t believe the spin that comes from the MSM, which all targeted at making this Adminstration look bad, but instead means that they end up with egg on their collective faces.

Even with the CBS 60 Minutes debacle, it looks like the MSM hasn’t learned a single thing about the consequences of lies and overreaching to carry GOP water.

November 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

That’s a good point, LP- we need to be careful about assigning blame or making quick inferences based on spin we get from the MSM. This reminds me of the Syria issue where the media kept pushing narratives about Putin “sticking it” to PBO, when the opposite was true. The media takes advantage of the fact that these FP negotiations almost never happen overnight, and take weeks, months and years of diplomatic interactions.

• 89 utaustinliberal
      November 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thanks Arapaho415.

November 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Sorry I meant Arapaho, not LP!! :)

27. November 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Speaking of remembering history; the Pope views Jews as the Catholics’ big brothers.

Is this a new stance from the Vatican or just business as usual (I’m not Catholic or Jewish, and know very little about their past interactions).

November 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

To my mind, the new Pope just has a sweet, understated (yet poignant) way of saying things, so they sound new and refreshing, which catches everyone’s attention. He seems REAL – just like President Obama – to me! I see them both as two leaders who came along just at the right time, in the history of the world.

28. 95 yardarm756
    November 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Part of MY history!

29. November 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

This is O/T (V’s Day), but I wanted to share for our sermon this morning. Sermon was from Nehemiah and the story of the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem. Pastor pointed out the difference of “If only” (smacks of regret, coulda, shoulda, woulda) while “What if” is a sign of HOPE. Nehemiah’s question was “What if we rebuild the Wall?” Pastor then made the point that anytime we try to improve or change something, there will ALWAYS be naysayers……ALWAYS the negative, the questions, the criticizing. Those people do not want change or improvement so they focus on tearing down. Now who does that remind us of??????? He pointed out the need for our questioning “Is it the right thing to do?” even in the face of huge odds. Where have we heard that before.

I know I’ve shared a number of times things I hear in our sermons that are so similar to things PO says or stresses. I just love my church and my pastors. That is all.

30. 106 yardarm756
    November 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

This sums it up for me.

• 107 Bill R.
      November 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Thank you, Shannon Sharpe. You can hear the passion in his voice and see it in his face. There can be no equivocation, no ambiguity about this.

31. 108 africa
    November 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Righteous!

• 109 Nena20409
      November 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Now this is why I have always liked This guy even if he played for the Denver Broncos during Elway. He had a brother that played for the Green Bay Packers.

The Truth is powerful when spoken as passionately as he did. Please post the real Video in the next post after this wonderful tribute to and for our Vets.

• November 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm

WOW! The way he ended that by pointing out to JB that what Incognito said it to Martin was also said about you (JB) and to me (Shannon) is exactly what I say/feel in regards to people’s hatred toward PO. Any feelings (unspoken) or (spoken) words people have or say about PO …..well, those feelings or words are also about my bi-racial granddaughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, I know if I said that to my friends (and some family) who have such dislike for PO, they would not “get it.” They would become defensive or angry. They just simply don’t “see” the connection.

• 111 a4alice
      November 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

wow. powerful.

• 112 globalcitizenlinda
      November 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm

intense!

32. 113 dotster3
    November 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Thought this was a great story about an Ia. vet who has served 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and felt he had to do something for the extremely impoverished, courageous and good people he met there. Has a pay-it-forward plan and is raising money to get 2 goats to each family in an Afghan community, they will milk and make yogurt to share, will pass along the offspring of the goats to neighboring communities who will do the same—–and on and on—-paying it forward. A sustainability plan reminiscent of that of Heifer International. Excellent.

November 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm

34. November 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Western and Iranian negotiators were putting the finishing touches on a far-reaching nuclear deal. Then, at virtually the last minute, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius joined in the talks. It didn’t take long for the negotiations to unravel — and for Fabius to publicly declare this round of the talks to be over.

It wasn’t the answer U.S., European or Iranian teams had been expecting. One Western official said Paris hadn’t been particularly involved in the painstaking negotiations that had taken place in the run-up to this weekend’s talks in Geneva. “The French were barely involved in this,” one Western diplomat said. “They didn’t get looped in until a few days ago.”

35. November 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

• 117 dotster3
      November 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm

LP, I’ll say ‘sorry about the Colts’ if you’ll say ‘sorry about the Bears’.

• November 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Agreed :) ……. we got destroyed. Regie Wayne, being out for the year has killed our SuperBowl chances. We will win the division and lose in the 1rst Round. The Bears game was soooooo close. McCown almost brought them back. I didn’t like the play call for the 2pt. conversion. Silver lining is GB lost, and is down to their 3rd string QB for the foreseeable future. Bears/Lions split the series so I think they will both go to the Playoffs.

• 119 dotster3
          November 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I hated that 2 point conversion call also. If only I was Da Coach Bears would have won—-with pass play or McCown run. You are probably a seer about the Colts—-their come from behind miracle wins may not be as likely with Wayne’s absence. A sad football day around here and for fam in Indy (Zionsville). But—-just a game, right?

• November 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Never just a game…….. until the next Sunday that is! (We play Thursday this week) Both of our squads need to get their acts together ASAP…..

• 121 dotster3
              November 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm

My daughter just sent a hilarious photo of their new baby looking really sad in her Colts gear. Did the trick last week and looked very distraught and confused why her duds failed her today.

• 122 carolyn
      November 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Sec Kerry may have been Secretary of State only since January, but reading his remarks, it is easy to tell he is a seasoned diplomat. He understands the inner and hidden workings of diplomacy better than any SOS I can remember in recent history. He is not going to blame France, he is not going to blame anyone now, he is, like PBO leaving the door open. This is how diplomacy works, slowly, quietly, out of the headlines. Our so-called journalists, and many of our Congresscritters need to realize this and shut up.
      I firmly believe what the US wants will be accomplished.
      Iran wants sanctions lifted, and also, I think Iran wants to be a legitimate member of the community of nations. Right now Iran is treated much as South Africa was before the end of apartheid. They are a young nation, and those young people do not want to be pariahs in the world. Also, they have economic reasons for wanting this deal.
      We won’t know what actually happened….with France….or anything else, until this deal is signed, and a little time has passed.
      I know our journos work in a 24/7 mindset, but diplomacy grows slowly. Sec Kerry explained it well in the above remarks.
      Through all of this I am reminded of the line from Longfellow’s poem “Retribution”, which he modified from the Greeks.
      “The mills of God grind slowly, but they grind exceeding small.” This is not a spring.

36. 126 yardarm756
    November 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

A personal tear jerker for me…….Freedom? That word isn’t even in our Constitution.

November 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm

38. November 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

What an awesome line up of pictures. I am proud to be a veterans daughter.

39. 130 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for the deep and beautiful tribute, UTAL. My father was a veteran who died young (not service related). ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

40. 134 sherijr
    November 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

this is incredibly moving & thoughtful ut ~ I thank you…. #ooorah

November 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm

For our enlisted veterans ~ including those here on TOD we honor, such as Yardarm and our other patriots ~

MCPON Sends 2013 Veterans Day Message

Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON)(AW/NAC) Mike D. Stevens released the following Veterans Day message to the Fleet Nov. 8.

“Veterans, Shipmates and Navy Families,

Monday, we honor those who have stood the watch, pay respect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, and say thanks to those currently in uniform. There have always been men and women willing to serve at the nation’s call, to protect the very fabric of what makes our country great. It is a very humbling moment for me every time I meet someone who is or has done their part to continue this rich legacy.

Our veterans represent every facet of the best of America making a positive impact on our great nation in countless ways. For each veteran comes a new set of people inspired to serve by amazing stories of wars won, lives lost, valor, and patriotism.

Veterans Day represents more than a day for our veterans, but offers an opportunity to recognize also their families and the many support groups of our veterans, service members and their families. The dedication and unwavering commitment to our military from the American people is undeniable and this great support allows us to do our job and fulfill our duties without hesitation. Our military could truly not function properly without your commitment and support.

I am thankful to be among such honored citizens, and for the continued efforts our Sailors and their families make every day to preserve our liberties. May God bless you and may God bless the United States of America.

Happy Veterans Day and all the best!

Very Respectfully,
    MCPON”

42. 138 sjterrid
    November 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Thank you UT for this thread thanking vets for their service, and thanks to all the vets that post or lurk on TOD.

November 10, 2013 at 5:42 pm

44. 141 nathkatun7
    November 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Great Post, UT! Thank you for honoring people who have served and sacrificed much for this country.

• 142 HZ
      November 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thank you, UT for such a moving honor to all those who gave so much in serving this great nation. Such a moving set of memories. HZ