Nov

Make Your Voices Heard

Written by our very own Judith Fardig

Letters to the editor, The Oregonian

R.E. front-page article, Obama bends on health cancellations 11/15/13

If you received a cancellation letter from your insurance company, don’t try to hang on to your sub-standard policy without calling Cover Oregon first at 1-855-268-3767 to find out if you could get a better deal. Individuals making up to $45,960 and families of 4 up to $92,400 may be eligible for federal subsidies which you won’t get if you keep your old policy.

The Affordable Care Act grandfathered all the individual policies that were in place at the time the law was enacted, hence President Obama’s statement that you could keep your plan if you liked it. There were limits on the amount of increase in premiums or deductibles to keep this grandfathered status. The plans being cancelled because they don’t meet the minimal standards were introduced by private insurers after passage of the ACA, knowing they wouldn’t be in compliance by 1/1/14. The insurers should have disclosed this when they issued the policy. Now they are trying to blame their lack of transparency on the President.

A great way to be proactive about ObamaCare, is to write to your local paper if there is an avenue for that. Thanks Judith, for the inspiration and for doing your part to spread facts about the wonderful law that is the Affordable Care Act.

104 Responses to “Make Your Voices Heard”

1. November 15, 2013 at 10:02 pm

An example of just how to do that ….

2. November 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Hello TOD. Been a tough 48 hours but getting better slowly.

3. 11 Ladyhawke
    November 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

MINORITY LEADER NANCY PELOSI ON ACA AND DO NOTHING CONGRESS

House Minority Leader Weekly Briefing

——————————————————

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) held her weekly legislative press briefing. She said that Democrats were in agreement that a solution was needed for an ongoing problem with the Affordable Care Act in which individual health insurance plans were being cancelled. Other topics included immigration reform.

—————————————————–

November 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Aaww! Tricked my Utal’s silent steps AGAIN!

5. November 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Brilliant, thank yoooou UT-a-roo, and thank you Judith for making your voice so wonderfully heard. I love you people!

6. November 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I have no doubt that part of the reason GiGi reported on the NSA was to scupper the US-EU trade talks. Europe would be so incensed that it would break off the talks.

Just saw a report on Euronews on the just-concluded round of talks. They’re moving along smoothly. AND: data privacy is NOT a topic of negotiations.

#FAIL again, GiGi.

7. November 15, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    • 27 Betsy
      November 16, 2013 at 8:36 am

My question is, is the deficit falling because of the sequester? If so, I’m not so sure we should be clapping at this, I feel a bit torn.

8. November 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm
  9. November 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    November 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Washington (AFP) – The United States has destroyed six tons of confiscated elephant ivory, in a move wildlife groups hailed as a bold message to criminal traffickers that the ivory is worthless.

The ivory stockpile was pulverized by an industrial rock crusher at a US Fish and Wildlife Service refuge near Denver, Colorado on Thursday.

The move was “a clear message that the nation will not tolerate wildlife crime that threatens to wipe out the African elephant and a host of other species around the globe,” the FWS said in a statement.
    …………………………//

11. 56 dotster3
    November 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Nice!

photo/1

12. November 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Caveat: It’s Raz …

… so, it’s likely the number of Americans supporting a diplomatic settlement with Iran is an even higher percentage ….

13. 60 GGail
    November 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’m playing catch up here:

President Obama is a true hero! In the midst of everything else he does, he takes the time to tweet and then send a vid to that little Batkid! Even FLOTUS took the time to acknowledge Batkid! Hurray to SF for opening it’s heart to that little boy!!!

Judith, your letter is awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us!

LL, congratulations to Mrs. LL on her birthday and on her becoming a vital part of our Care System. Best wishes!!!

November 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

O/T but kind of ‘neat’.

They’re already born, but they might not know it yet. This video of a unique bath is offering an amazing look at what life must like for twins in the womb, with the babies cuddling and embracing as if they were still in their mom’s belly.

The newborns cling to each other as they float in a basin full of water, with adult hands gently cradling and supporting their tiny bodies. At one point, water is carefully poured over their foreheads and eyes, while their noses and mouths stay above the surface so they can breathe comfortably.
    ……………………………..//

November 15, 2013 at 10:43 pm

This is nice – someone had posted the video on an earlier thread :) But it’s nice to see it here again!

November 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hi Hopef. /frown/ That’s what I always get when I don’t follow the thread more carefully. O well, it’s quite short and maybe someone else like me hadn’t seen it earlier – apologies to those who had previously.

• 65 GGail
          November 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hi VC, I missed it the first time around, thanks for bringing it again. It’s quite touching.

November 15, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Hello there, …. (gulp) young lady! :razz: Yeah, I thought it was a bit unusual, but interesting. As I watched it the second time I wondered whether the babies could be given really early swimming lessons – they seemed so comfortable in the water.

November 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

No need to apologize vc – love the video; it should be posted on every thread! :) I’m fascinated with twins/multiples.

November 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Me too – at one time I dreamed of having twins (my father is a twin) or triplets, but *my* real reason was the thought of going through the pain or whatever only once, yet having more than one miracle at the end. ;)

November 15, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Conclusion of article about the above video.

//……………..
      Rochel [an experienced nurse] has bathed twins together once or twice before and said she was not surprised by the infants’ reaction in the video. The babies’ amazing response to the water is always beautiful to see, she added.

The Thalasso Bath is only for babies younger than 2 months old and Rochel cautioned that parents should not try to duplicate it at home.

15. November 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

bbl … time to go to the kitchen and prepare some dinner …. thought you all might enjoy this on a Friday evening, especially if it’s as blustery where you are as it is, here ….

16. 72 purpleshoesla
    November 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Evenin TOD Peeps…. Got home to catch up on TOD’s posts today to see george snuffelopogus’ tweet. I’m so enraged I can barely breathe. I lost extended family in Katrina. I still have the Newsweek magazine with that precious child’s face on the cover … PRIMAL SCREAM!!!! Trying to compose myself so I can write a letter to ABC.

November 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I think I have email George Stupid-nopoulos three or four times today.

November 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I am so very sorry for the losses you experienced in Katrina! That was one of the most horrible episodes in our history, of course. Shouldn’t be compared to anything – these catastrophes and all the personal heartbreak that comes from them should only stand alone.

17. 78 CarolynfromDetroit
    November 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

During the 2008 campaign, I watched almost everything in the media. The attitude toward our President (then Senator) was disgusting and things haven’t changed. I read “71 Days: The Media Assault on Obama” by Michael J. Overstreet and every assault/daily (except two days) that he wrote about I remember seeing, hearing, and thinking the exact same thing. These people have continued the 24/7 bashing and assaulting. I don’t know how the President does it. I’m glad that Barack Obama is the President and I admire how he handles all the mess that’s thrown at him.

November 15, 2013 at 11:52 pm

G’Night gently people, and sweet dreams!

November 15, 2013 at 11:58 pm
  20. November 16, 2013 at 12:47 am

I just heard that 39 democrats voted with repugnant a today to allow people to keep their insurance. Are you freaking kidding me? I just cannot stand this.

November 16, 2013 at 1:04 am

You heard right. Beyond repugnant. I think we should invite the President and Vice President and their families and all like-minded people to band together with us and go find land somewhere else in the world and form another country. Good luck to those we leave behind, in trying to keep the country going without us.

• November 16, 2013 at 1:19 am

Count me in. I was ready to relocate overseas somewhere if either McCain or Romney became president.

• November 16, 2013 at 1:24 am

I hope the DCCC calls me this weekend because I will let them have it, nicely of course because it isn’t the caller’s fault.

November 16, 2013 at 1:29 am

I was thinking of heading to Canada when Gore “lost” to W. Actually, come to think of it, I was thinking of moving out of Florida when Jeb became governor. (I’ve had this “thing” against all Bush politicians since the first George.)

Glad I stayed to “catch” Obamabot fever! Can’t make any promises after 2017, however, so let’s keep in touch!

• November 16, 2013 at 1:57 am

Me too, although the stress of his campaigns have just about killed me. It’s been six long years for me feeling that I need to look out for him — like I could even do that. God bless him. He has inspired me so much by me taking a proactive role in local, state and national elections. And him bringing the economy back. — he is just incredible. I just can’t stand the way he is treated.

• 90 canadabarb4obama
            November 16, 2013 at 3:00 am

Jacqueline, your room awaits you, here in Vancouver!

• November 16, 2013 at 2:43 am

I said in a post here about a month ago that this
      would come to pass.

I said that the majority population no matter what
      their party affiliation, no matter their sexual persuasian
      nor there income level would stab PBO in the back
      when things got tough.

I know people are wary of a reprise of 2010 elections,
      but at this point I despise the Democratic Party and
      will not support them in any way.

Especially Hillary and her backstabber spouse.

• 93 ERICFIVE
        November 16, 2013 at 6:58 am

I would advise concentrating on 2014 not 2016. Aren’t you “stabbing PBO in the back” when you promise not to vote for Dems which will prevent PBO from finishing his term with a Dem controlled House? When the going gets tough you run the other way, just like the Democratic politicians you claim to despise. Think logically, not emotionally. What you advocate is the exact same self-indulgent foolishness that lead to the 2010 mid-term results that has done real harm to the country. Do you “despise” the Dems more than you despise the GOP? You are saying and promising to do exactly what the GOP/MSM wants you to, don’t let them play you. What you advocate is akin to “cutting off your nose to spite your face”. Its really simple, if you don’t vote for Democrats, you enable the GOP to take control of the levers of power. You should probably take a break from the MSM/GOP propaganda so you can clear your mind. The constant propaganda has an effect on peoples perceptions of reality and causes them to take actions that run counter to their best interests, which is what it is designed to do. In closing, all this talk of 2016 is way premature. ANYTHING can happen between now and 2016. The MSM/GOP is talking about this stuff and Hillary to divide Democrats before the 2014 midterms (and to fill airtime). When the Democratic primary season starts in 2015, you look for a Democrat that you like and support that candidate. Until then, keep your eye on the ball and work to help make Nancy Pelosi the next Speaker of the House and Dems retain control of the Senate. This is a concrete way you can show your support for PBO.

November 16, 2013 at 7:21 am

Ericfive, when thinking about it I know you are right when you say, but I get so tired of these weak knee Democrats acting like dam cowards, instead of supporting the Obamacare.

November 16, 2013 at 7:23 am

“what you say” is what I suppose to have type.

• 96 ERICFIVE
              November 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

I feel you. I’m pissed at the Blue Dog and other disloyal Dems. But I’m much, much more pissed at the GOP/Tea Party. Continue letting these disloyal Dems know how you feel (and calling out the corrupt MSM). I applaud your commitment. But we must vote for Democrats to help PBO implement his agenda. We must take power away from the racist and evil GOP. We will one day look back on these crazy times in which we live and take pride in the fact that we helped to save our country from rightwing extremism.

• 97 a4alice
                November 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

ericfive thank you for saying this. I’m sure this is now an old post and you won’t see this but this is exactly what I should be doing – taking a break from listening to MSM for a bit (although how I can I call them out if I don’t listen to them? acckk!)

But I’ve been thinking this is kind of the same trail that we were on right before the 2010 elections. and dems not showing up at the polls is what helped the gop/tea party back then. It sort of feels the same now here in 2013 but we must not let that happen. Dems need to get fired up and vote in 2014.

Any ways I didn’t mean to rant just wanted to say thanks for the reminder and the solid thinking that will lead to a dem house for PBO

• 98 Betsy
                November 16, 2013 at 8:53 am

I agree with you Ericfive. We can not afford to be emotional. WE MUST WIN THE HOUSE BACK AND KEEP THE SENATE! The rest is just noise.

November 16, 2013 at 1:21 am
  22. 100 Bill R.
    November 16, 2013 at 1:54 am
  23. November 16, 2013 at 2:17 am

Simply, unassailable realities be they off shore …

… or in every neighborhood in America …

We’ve got much to do, my fellow TODers, but I have no doubt we will prevail.

#TrustBarack