Nov

Rise and Shine

On This Day: Members of the audience cheer as President Obama delivers remarks on the American Jobs Act at Manchester Central High School in Manchester, N.H., Nov. 22, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times Eastern)

12:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

12:45: VP Biden meets with Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc of Turkey at the White House

1:45: President Obama commemorates the 50th anniversary of John F Kennedy’s assassination with an event devoted to an institution created by JFK: The Peace Corps. He will participate in a video conference with Peace Corps Volunteers in Tanzania

2:15: First Lady Michelle Obama hosts the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities (PCAH) National Arts and Humanities Youth Program

2:40: President Obama holds a bilateral meeting with King Mohammed VI of Morocco

President Obama:

“A half century ago, America mourned the loss of an extraordinary public servant.

“With broad vision and soaring but sober idealism, President John F. Kennedy had called a generation to service and summoned a Nation to greatness. Today, we honor his memory and celebrate his enduring imprint on American history.

“In his 3 years as President of the United States, John F. Kennedy weathered some of the most perilous tests of the Cold War and led America to the cusp of a bright new age.

“His leadership through the Cuban Missile Crisis remains the standard for American diplomacy at its finest. In a divided Berlin, he delivered a stirring defense of freedom that would echo through the ages, yet he also knew that we must advance human rights here at home.

“During his final year in office, he proposed a civil rights bill that called for an end to segregation in America. And recognizing women’s basic right to earn a living equal to their efforts, he signed the Equal Pay Act into law.

“While President Kennedy’s life was tragically cut short, his vision lives on in the generations he inspired — volunteers who serve as ambassadors for peace in distant corners of the globe, scientists and engineers who reach for new heights in the face of impossible odds, innovators who set their sights on the new frontiers of our time.

“Today and in the decades to come, let us carry his legacy forward. Let us face today’s tests by beckoning the spirit he embodied — that fearless, resilient, uniquely American character that has always driven our Nation to defy the odds, write our own destiny, and make the world anew.

“NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 22, 2013, as a Day of Remembrance for President John F. Kennedy.”

NYT Editorial: Democracy Returns to the Senate

For five years, Senate Republicans have refused to allow confirmation votes on dozens of perfectly qualified candidates nominated by President Obama for government positions. They tried to nullify entire federal agencies by denying them leaders. They abused Senate rules past the point of tolerance or responsibility. And so they were left enraged and threatening revenge on Thursday when a majority did the only logical thing and stripped away their power to block the president’s nominees.

… Given the extreme degree of Republican obstruction during the Obama administration, the Democrats had little choice but to change the filibuster rule. As Mr. Reid noted on the floor, half of all filibusters waged against nominations in Senate history have occurred since Mr. Obama was elected….

…. Today’s vote was an appropriate use of that power, and it was necessary to turn the Senate back into a functioning legislative body.

Full editorial here

ThinkProgress: Why Senate Democrats Had To Invoke The ‘Nuclear Option’

Well, it finally happened.

After five years of filibusters, obstruction, lengthy waits for confirmation and arguments over whether the party that failed to win either the White House or the Senate nonetheless has the power to hold top government jobs open for as long as Barack Obama is president, Senate Democrats finally decided that enough is enough. On Thursday, nearly every member of the Democratic caucus invoked a procedural maneuver that will allow the Senate to confirm several blocked nominees by a majority vote. The era of minority rule is over, at least where it comes to almost every confirmation…..

More here

Greg Sargent: For liberals, a long crusade finally pays off in reform

In 2007, when Jeff Merkley was considering a run for the Senate from Oregon, he met privately with Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer. Merkley suggested to the two Dem leaders that the Senate needed to reform the filibuster — having watched both parties, including Dems in 2005, abuse it so badly that it was rendering the Upper Chamber dysfunctional.

…. That meeting may have been the genesis of a long tale that culminated this afternoon, six years later, when Reid finally went nuclear and changed the rules by simple majority — after a years-long campaign in which Merkley and other Senate liberals were instrumental.

…. Dem leaders had to be pushed to this point, but from the point of view of liberals, they did the right thing. “The filibuster has been used to wage continuous warfare on the presidency,” Merkley said. “The Senate said today that’s not acceptable. A huge thank you to the leadership team.”

Full post here

Greatest opening paragraph ever?

Charles Pierce: And Boom Goes The Plutonium

I have no doubt that the civility crowd will scream bloody murder now that Harry Reid has dropped the big one in the Senate. They may need the Jaws of Life to pry Ruth Marcus off the fainting couch. As I said before. I was nervous about this prospect for years, but recently passed over the International Fk You Line. The country has a right to be governed by the president and the philosophy for which the country voted. Vandalism is not debate. It is not governing. It is long past time for Barack Obama actually to be allowed to be president.

More here

Milt Shook: Once Again, Progressives Should be Thanking Harry Reid

What every progressive needs to learn is that political things don’t just happen because someone wants them to. They happen when a majority is ready to vote to make them happen.

Back in January, as many of you will recall, I took a lot of heat because I stood up for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his valiant attempt to change filibuster rules. The man worked his ass off to make changes, and he actually got quite a few of them, despite the fact that he didn’t have 51 votes to make them happen. He was able to change the rules, so that Senators could no longer put a blind hold on a nomination – they had to make themselves known – and he also got an agreement from Republicans to stop holding up nominations. This was a crucial deal. He did all of this, despite the fact that he had between 45 and 47 votes, because he was able to convince the Republican leadership that he had 51, which scared them silly.

…. Progressives underestimate Harry Reid at our peril. This guy is tougher than he looks.

Full post here

Reuters: Nearly 80,000 Californians sign up for Obamacare plans

Nearly 80,000 Californians have enrolled in private health insurance plans through the state’s exchange marketplace created under President Barack Obama’s healthcare law, the Covered California exchange said on Thursday.

The latest data, which charts enrollment from the October 1 start through November 19, means that about 20,000 more people signed up for plans since the exchange’s initial update on its enrollment released November 13.

California, which is the most populous U.S. state and embraced the Affordable Care Act early on, is considered a crucial region for the administration’s enrollment effort. The state is one of 14 operating their own exchanges, as opposed to relying on the federal government.

More here

ThinkProgress: Nearly Three-Quarters Of Americans With Individual Plans Qualify For Obamacare Subsidies

Over 70 percent of Americans under age 65 who buy insurance through the individual market will either qualify for Obamacare subsidies or the health law’s expansion of Medicaid in the states that accept it, according to a new study by Families USA.

…. Researchers also noted that ….“[U]nder the ACA, only 0.6 percent of Americans under age 65 will be at risk of losing their current individual market plan and will not be income-eligible for financial assistance that will make their new insurance plan more affordable. Even among this 0.6 percent, some have insurers who will not or cannot cancel their plans. Others will decide that they are better off with higher-value plans in the new insurance marketplaces.”

More here

Texas Observer: Texas’ Other Death Penalty

A Galveston medical student describes life and death in the so-called safety net.

… There’s a popular myth that the uninsured — in Texas, that’s 25 percent of us — can always get medical care through emergency rooms … The myth is based on a 1986 federal law called the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), which states that hospitals with emergency rooms have to accept and stabilize patients who are in labor or who have an acute medical condition that threatens life or limb. That word “stabilize” is key: Hospital ERs don’t have to treat you. They just have to patch you up to the point where you’re not actively dying. Also, hospitals charge for ER care, and usually send patients to collections when they cannot pay.

…. The Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, could have been a huge relief. However, Gov. Rick Perry rejected billions of dollars in federal funding to expand Medicaid, funding that should have brought access to more than a million Texans, including many St. Vincent’s patients.

Perry’s refusal is catastrophic health policy. For patients, it means that seeking medical care will still require risking bankruptcy, and may lead nowhere. For doctors, the message was not only that our patients’ lives don’t matter, but also that medicine—our old profession, so full of people who genuinely want to help others—will continue to be part of the economic machine that entrenches poverty. When the poor seek our help, they often wind up with crippling debt.

More here

On This Day:

First Lady Michelle Obama joins students for a “Let’s Move!” Salad Bars to Schools launch event at Riverside Elementary School in Miami, Fla., Nov. 22, 2010 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

President Barack Obama shares a lighter moment during a meeting in the Situation Room of the White House, Nov. 22, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama at Manchester High School Central, N.H., Nov 22, 2011

President Obama jokes with players from the Oregon State University basketball team in the Oval Office on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 22, 2012. The team’s head coach is Craig Robinson, brother of First Lady Michelle Obama.
(Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama visits with the Corkery family during a stop at Julien’s Corner Kitchen in Manchester, N.H., Nov. 22, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

MoooOOOooorning!

140 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. November 22, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hoping for another great day!

2. 7 GGAIL
    November 22, 2013 at 9:44 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

3. November 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

Progress is sometimes slow, even apparently stalled, but below the surface there is an undercurrent of movement in which hope rises again. Bravo Harry Reid!

4. November 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

This is MAJOR

5. November 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good morning to the goodly folks at TOD as I delurk for a moment or two from rainy Trinidad Simply haven’t posted in ages because I have been caught up with ‘stuff’. But I haven’t missed a day of tuning in, and all I can say is that YOU the people are the ones doing the damn thing, everytime!
    A special hail out to Chips -you are a treasure. Hopefruit,- Keep up the no-nonsense positivity and UT- you know what your calling is!
    Also on a musical note, if you think Arturo Sandoval is a fantastic trumpeter,you should hear him play jazz piano……Fantabulous!

6. November 22, 2013 at 10:06 am
    November 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

ooo, star billing.

8. 33 japa21
    November 22, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hey, my work computer is letting me post again. What a wonderful feeling.

GM all.

9. November 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

You deserve,Ms Chips,you deserve! Thank you! Just think of the pot-pourri of souls you have accumulated on this site with their varying skills, intelligence, curious minds, all willing to contribute and express truth passionately and harmoniously, all to the greater good and all for the most dynamic President in this lifetime. Yes, give yourself some props. You certainly deserve it!

10. 40 JER
    November 22, 2013 at 10:21 am
  11. 43 JER
    November 22, 2013 at 10:22 am
  12. 44 japa21
    November 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

As has been clear the last few days, many of us here have vivid memories of where we were and what we were doing when we heard about Kennedy being shot. I( won’t go into mine, suffice it to say I was in HS in Wisconsin and we were sent home early and I remember sitting on the bus with rain running down the window.

But two things I do remember.

The first is that that day was the first time in my life I really realized how much hatred can color a person’s thinking and also the first time I came close to physically attacking someone. While we were waiting for the busses to arrive to take students home we were in our regular classrooms, which happened to be chemistry for me. Obviously, thetre was no real classwork going on. One of my fellow students rather loudly declared “Well, he finally got what he deserved.” I almost lost it, but didn’t which was probably a good thing as he was one of the fottball players and could have taken me down with his little finger. But it was close.

And I should point out that in 1960 I had campaigned for Nixon to set up the next memory. My parents were very rock solid Republicans and never said a nice thing about any Democrats. (Amazingly, 5 of their 6 children turned out okat anyway). But I refused to go to school the day of the funeral, as did many other students, although the school was open. And I remember watching the funeral procession on TV with my mother as she was ironing clothes. She was no lover of Kennedy and had frequently bad mouthed him, but I remember looking at her and seeing tears running down her cheeks.

For many of us in my generation, Vietnam was a central part of our lives and ghas been called the coming of age moment for us. Personally, I believe it was Kennedy’s assassination that was the coming of age moment. It changed, for manty of us how we looked at the world.

I am not a romanticist, and I am not one of those that worshipped the Kennedys, and we will never know what it would have been like if the killing had never happened. But innocence died along with the President that day.

• November 22, 2013 at 10:54 am

Your school was open?

California must be different than other states. JFK was murdered on a Friday, his funeral was Monday, and everything was closed the day of his funeral (my mother was a librarian for San Diego County, my father self-employed).

I was in 5th grade and we were sent home after the announcement on the school louspeaker (back in the day when everyone got to school by foot, bicycle or school bus).

• 46 lovingandlaughing
      November 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

thanks for sharing those memories japa.

• November 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

I do not recall JFK’s assination – I just turned 7 that year, and something that happened at Central Time in the US wouldn’t have been reported in time for the 8 o’clock news in the Netherlands – if we would have had TV at that time.

What I *do* remember of that time is the doom-and-gloom; names of well-known, but has-been European politicians being thrown around by the grown-ups (Churchill, Adenauer, de Gaulle).

It felt like we were just waiting for the end of the world …

November 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

Well said, and well remembered. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

• 49 pickle48
      November 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Japa – I was a Wisconsin high school student as well – in home economics class when the announcement was made (does that say something about gender roles?!). I agree that it was the Kennedy assassination that shifted our world, like the turning of a kaleidoscope it shifted all the familiar patterns into a new arrangement.

Our school day continued, as did the boy’s basketball game that night. My boyfriend played and I was a cheerleader (we had no female sports – that was believed to interfere with our “female systems”). He gave me his class ring that night. The day was surreal, as if we were all going through our regular activities in a strange disassociated fog. The whole “going steady” process proceeded partly out of a newly-discovered insecurity and mourning. He was going deer hunting the next day and it was almost as if….. we needed assurances of something that would remain stable.

We must not have had school on Monday because we watched the funeral on television.

• 50 Obama Grandmama
      November 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I am remembering where I was that day too. I was a high school Senior in Portland, Oregon. I had first lunch with Senior English class right after lunch. A rumor started going around the lunchroom that the President had been shot. No one quite knew if it was true or not. No cell phones in those days, I went to our in school phone booth and called the local tv station to hear what they knew. They told me the story as they knew it at that moment that JFK had been shot in Dallas and had been taken to the hospital. They did not know immediately that he was dead. The bell rang and I went to my English class. Our teacher had his head down on his desk crying and many of us were crying too. I remember no one spoke the entire hour and an announcement came over the PA system confirming our worst fear that the President had died.
      Pretty much everything had been cancelled for a few days till after the funeral. However, I was involved with an activity that was scheduled to have their once a year fundraiser two days after the death. They struggled with deciding whether to cancel it or not, but it involved a venue that was booked up and a time limit to raise the funds for the winners to go to the national competition with the money raised at the event. It was decided to proceed with the event, but to pay tribute to our late President. I remember there was a cloud of sadness over the event until my group performed to “Let’s Do The Twist”. The upbeat music gave us a moment of lightness in that very heavy week of events. I had also struggled with deciding whether my group should participate since there was not enough time to change their prearranged routine or music selection. Many people thanked me afterwards for giving them a little breathing space to have that moment to smile. That comparison tells you how sad everyone was feeling at the time.

13. 51 Jovie
    November 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

The cnn poll almost even pubs and Dems twice as many indes.
    Any questions ?

14. 56 dotster3
    November 22, 2013 at 10:49 am

Police officer shot in Wal-Mart/Sams Club parking lot in Columbus, Oh. as he was trying to apprehend a man suspected of shooting a 9 yr. old! and a woman this a.m.

November 22, 2013 at 10:50 am
  16. 58 dotster3
    November 22, 2013 at 10:50 am
    November 22, 2013 at 10:51 am
    November 22, 2013 at 10:55 am

Mornin’, Chips and TODville!

November 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

Norwegian chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen has become the world champion, beating Indian title holder Viswanathan Anand.

Carlsen, 22, secured a draw to win the World Chess Championship in 10 games, with two left to play.

Carlsen won the match in Chennai, India, with a score of 6.5-3.5. The win means that Carlsen achieves the record of having the highest new rating of all time.

But he just misses out on being the youngest player ever to win the title.

That honour goes to the Russian Anatoly Karpov, who remained undefeated for 13 years.

Congrats Carlsen.

• November 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

My grandfather loved the game of chess….his prize chess set was the 3-dimensional chess set (aka Mr Spock) that my brother bought for him one Christmas ..my grandfather’s eyes lit up…like a lil child….

he always kept a board up in the living room, hoping to coax one of us in a lil “friendly game” as he called it….hahaha…but it was far from friendly…my pop-pop was a fierce competitor…smilin…

20. 69 JER
    November 22, 2013 at 11:09 am
    November 22, 2013 at 11:14 am
  22. November 22, 2013 at 11:20 am

GM Chips, TOD… Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! ………a must read….and for those that like quoting the Founding Fathers…

The bracing paragraph below is Alexander Hamilton in Federalist No. 22. Read it, please, especially the bolded bits, and then ponder this question: What would Hamilton have thought of the filibuster—especially its routine use (by politicians daring to call themselves Republican!) to kill legislation supported by a clear majority of the Senate?

November 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

Isn’t that SS drawing demography pox news’ main base? How do they still watch it with this kinda insults thrown at their faces?

November 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

One of the cruelest statements out of Fox, to date, among 40 gazillion cruel thoughts and statements. #FOXTheDevil’sOwnNetwork

November 22, 2013 at 11:40 am
      • 75 amk for obama
        November 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

At least on matters of serious repercussions, I want all the dems to walk in good step a la thugs’ style. These 3 bastids need to be called out, especially the retiring levin.

November 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Understand. We still won without ‘em, and I’m celebrating that! The two who want to be re-elected by doing this are just chickenshit enough to know they really aren’t bravely taking a stand, because Harry had the votes anyway. So they are losers two times over.

No profiles in courage, that’s for sure. Move along, voters. Nothing to see here.

• November 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Move along, voters. Nothing to see here.

• 78 ERICFIVE
            November 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I agree. Their votes did not matter, so why sweat it. We need “blue dogs” in both the House and Senate in order to regain and maintain control. This is the most united I have ever seen the Democrats in Congress. The unity I saw during the gov’t shutdown and in executing the nuclear option is a display of unity I applaud. I don’t sweat symbolic or meaningless votes. If Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are OK with it, so am I. Democratic “purity” will lead to GOP taking control of Congress. That is a fact of life we must learn to accept. It is important to remember that the quest for Democratic purity lead to a lot of blue dogs losing their seats to Republicans in 2010, which gave us Speaker Boner. Kos was a big booster for the idea of getting rid of the blue dogs in the House. He is another “former” republican (like Ed Schultz) whose supposed desire for democratic purity lead to the current mess with which PBO, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi must now clean up.

24. November 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

“This is the right thing to do,” Reid told one of his closest advisers. “If I don’t do this, I might as well just walk away.”

November 22, 2013 at 11:28 am

The turtle’s head figuratively exploding right before our very eyes? I can live with that. :)

• 83 Nena20409
      November 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

GM TODable TODers.

Shocks, and here I was told for 4.10 yrs by the Lazy, Lame DC/NY beltway pundits that pres Obama is aloof, doesn’t like Dems, ignores them, and that he hates the politicking of politics. Hmm?

Wow, the MSN lied again. Shocks.

• 84 ERICFIVE
        November 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

The demonization of PBO by the MSM is usually reserved for leaders of enemy nations with which the U.S. is about to go to war with. I have never seen such a concerted effort to demonize a sitting American president. They are trying (and thankfully failing) to turn the American people against their President. In the MSM/GOP view the office of the Presidency is not to be respected when it is held by a Democrat, especially a proudly African-American Democrat (notice how they rally around any white man, even Putin or the previously despised Bill Clinton, in an effort to put PBO in his “place”). That is the message the American people have been bombarded with from day one of the Obama Presidency. Voters who voted for PBO are to be marginalized, called “moochers” and punished via voter suppression or the dismantling of the social safety net or restrictions in reproductive rights, all without the MSM “outrage” that accompanied trivial matters like a glitchy website. I pray we, as a nation, can continue to fight and defeat the MSM/GOP cabal which threatens our country’s very existence.

25. 86 Vicki
    November 22, 2013 at 11:25 am

Dishonest news reports both domestic and worldwide are trying to promote idea that US Senate will jinx Iran talks with more sanctions.
    Truth is
    The US Senate is On Vacation until Dec. 9!!!!

(The agenda promoting never stops.)

November 22, 2013 at 11:26 am

This is today at 1:30 pm Eastern … livestreaming from JFK Library link … James Taylor, Richard Blanco – the President’s Inaugural Poet, et al.

November 22, 2013 at 11:26 am
    November 22, 2013 at 11:27 am

Yup, this filibuster-ending move by Harry Reid and the Dems had PBO’s fingerprints all over it. There was a slight chill in his tone during that OFA call as he talked about the blocked nominee for the DC circuit court. I suspected then, something was up….

// On the weekend of Nov. 9, Reid enlisted his top lieutenants, Sens. Chuck Schumer of New York and Dick Durbin of Illinois, to help take the caucus’ temperature. But after several weeks of counting votes, Reid was still encountering skepticism even among his confidants as late as Monday evening. He bucked up his troops ahead of the hugely controversial move.

As some of his fellow Democratic senators remained on the fence, Reid called in a heavy hitter to close the deal: President Barack Obama, according to sources familiar with the matter. Obama personally called senators on Wednesday to back the move, and Reid ultimately won the vote on a slim margin, 52-48. Just three Democrats broke with Reid: the retiring Carl Levin of Michigan, the moderate Joe Manchin of West Virginia and the vulnerable Mark Pryor of Arkansas. //

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/harry-reid-senate-fillibuster-100243.html#ixzz2lOOOb569

29. November 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

Laura Rozen, who consistently demonstrates that she doesn’t sleep, may have nailed this:

From yesterday:

Most recent tweets today:

• November 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I started reading her about 7 years ago and she is always ON IT. She has very strong opinions that I don’t always agree with but she has a lot of background ME knowledge not really matched on anyone else here.

30. 100 JER
    November 22, 2013 at 11:39 am
    November 22, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • 102 Nena20409
      November 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Didn’t he want ACA to be repealed? Now he went and signed on? Hmm? After 48th times trying to repeal ACA?

Okay. Boehner will still have to pay taxes to get his tan ;)

32. 103 MightyPamela
    November 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

Morning y’all, here is something cool: I am in process of changing my address :lol: and using the official USPS website to do so. The final step before conclusion is an automatic form which updates Voter Registration to the new address, and I think it just could not be easier! Well, easier if only I could get that last page to work! (could be iPad, may need to switch devices. :( Have a good 50th anniversary of JFK being taken from us, it is still one of my saddest memories! Big hugs.

November 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

Keep checking in, MightyPamela! So glad you are on your way to RELAXATION.

• 105 MightyPamela
        November 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

JO’B, it is the thought of some relaxation that is keeping me on a pair of very tired legs, the thought and the unflagging support and hard work of blessed daughter and some very dear friends! Started moving in light weight things, and artwork yesterday. Someone has rented a v.e.r.y t.e.e.n.y apartment for a while, but hey, it beats sleeping out in the Path of the Pineapple Express!! Hang on to me, I have quite a ways to go yet! Looks like I will make it!

• November 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

SO happy you have moved into a new space in all ways. Please take good care while you sort out the move. Everything will come together when it’s time!!

• November 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Is it Washington or Oregon that is 100% mail-in voting?

Wonder if the experience is the same in other states?

• 108 MightyPamela
        November 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Both stars, I believe, arapahoe, it is a fantastic system, hope to see it in place all over the nation soon.

• 109 Obama Grandmama
        November 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Oregon has been for quite awhile. I moved back to Oregon from Alaska in 2001 and it was already in place. Washington just started the same maybe a couple of years ago. I love it. You do have to put a stamp on the envelope and get it in the mail by a certain date to arrive in time. You can choose to drive it to a drop off box the same day instead of mailing it off, but you have time ahead as the ballots arrive a few weeks prior to the election. The voter manuals arrive a few days prior to the ballots. You can sit in your easy chair and read your Manuel marking your ballot as you go. There is an inner secrecy envelope and the outer envelope requires a signature for verification. I love the ease of voting with no lines to contend with.

• 111 GGail
      November 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm

MP, it is so good to hear that you are getting settled in your new home! I’m so happy for you!!! ((((MP))))

November 22, 2013 at 11:43 am

I love snow… From a distance.

November 22, 2013 at 11:44 am
  35. 116 donna dem 4 obama
    November 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hello TOD! Thank you for another fabulous Rise and Shine Chips

Memories…..

I was 8 years old and sitting in Sr. Mary Patrick’s class at St. Gabriel’s elementary school. Sr. Marie, the school principal came on the PA system and made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot and killed. The screams and cries that came through that PA system were deafening. She asked us to all stand and pray the Our Father and a Hail Mary and then we were dismissed. Back then you lived within walking distance of your school and there was always someone home during the day.

My grand mother met me and my cousins at the door. I could tell that she had been crying. All she said to us was, “you know the good ones always die young”. We stayed glued to that old Westinghouse black and white TV for the next several day through the funeral. All schools and businesses were closed in DC until the President was buried. It felt like a black cloud hovered over the city.

It was my first experience with death and I will never forget those dark days in November 1963.

• 117 GGail
      November 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Donna, your experience mirrors mine, except I was in a public school and it was my mother who met us at home. It truly is a memory that never leaves you.

• 118 jackiegrumbacher
      November 22, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Donna, the idea that “the good ones always die young,” is not much comfort when someone you love is taken from you. People were saying that when my father died one week after my fifth birthday. It seemed cruel and incomprehensible then and it didn’t get any more comprehensible to me at age 19 when JFK died. It also meant that since I was still living, I must be one of the bad ones–a depressing message to give anyone, let alone a kid.

November 22, 2013 at 11:48 am
      November 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Mitchell McConnell and the rest of the Republican Senators is a disgrace to our country, they are no better than the House Republicans.

37. 121 HZ
    November 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

Good Morning Chips and my TOD family. Thanks to Chips and all of the beautiful contributors within our family who give us such wonderful news.

I am so grateful that Leader Reid made his move. I too could hear the urgency in President Obama’s voice on our call with him. He was very strong in his voice and I felt he was also asking for our support as well. Well, a great thanks to Bobfr who faithfully along with others kept the appropriate pressure on this issue. TY, Bobfr.

This day has a lot of tender moment for me as I was a sophomore in college when I heard the news about President Kennedy. I was already a little down because of my grade in my zoology class(Mrs. Kramer) and when this news came over the intercom, my heart sank even more. We were dismissed for the day and the bus ride home was this wrenching for me personally. I admired President Kennedy so much. He stirred something with all of us. Reminds me of our beautiful President Barack Obama. How he can move people to do better and what is right.

Well, everyone, be safe, (DF in the rain) and all who are experiencing some difficulty with the weather, get safe as possible and stay warm and cozy. I am taking it slow, but grateful to be here with my TOD family.

Remember, the miles that you travel today with our wonderful president and his team will be worth so much to each of us and so many people in this nation and this world. This journey will not be easy, but it Will be worth it. Pray for our president and his team, and remember to grace your day with goodness of thoughts and determined and gentle deed of compassion to others.

Blessings to all of my TOD family. And to my dear and beautiful Chips, keep Danny warm and cozy. ((((((( Love you, and thank you, Chips)))))))HZ

38. 122 Nena20409
    November 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

State Senator Creigh Deeds from VA was okayed to go home today from the hospital. I wish him and his family well. His now dead son was his only son. So very sad.

November 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Very fitting song as this year, we commemorated three of these greats, Abraham Lincoln (150th anniversary of Gettysburg address), Martin Luther King Jr. (50th anniversary of “I have Dream” and John F Kennedy (50th anniversary of assassination).

40. 126 Linda
    November 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

There is a discussion about the ACA and the marketplaces across the country going on on c-span 2 live.

41. 127 Nena20409
    November 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Jay’s 11-22-13 at the WHPC presser…..Live now.

42. November 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

New post in 14 minutes, 34 seconds.

43. November 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Well howdy all you O’s!!!! It’s a great getting up day again ’round the TOD campfire!! I see that ACA is still law, Sen ‘Don’t Play That’ was in rare form in facilitating PBO’s full speed ahead to seat his justices, FLOTUS-the girls-the pups are probably getting ready for the holidays, and somewhere turkeys are pulling straws to see who gets the official pardon. Good news all around, imo.

Now it’s off I go to take advantage of the last decent weather temp day (low 40’s), before we get hit with the icy arctic chill coming our way tomorrow. Hopefully, things will warm up enough after turkey day to hang all the mistletoe.

• 131 Lynn
      November 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Cookemom!! Everybody’s been looking for you!

• 132 cookemom
        November 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hiya Lynn! I’ve been around, mostly lurking a bit, then doing a house redo for the holidays. l had also unplugged from all things political for awhile. Too much was going on that was getting to me. All the ACA stuff, poll ratings, hand-wringing, teeth gnashing, and the ever ending pundit watching started to wear on my otherwise sunny disposition. I like to stay upbeat and positive or dread will permeate right into my bones. Can’t have that….too much to do…..too few hours in which to do it.

I’ll continue to drop by the old TOD stream to see who has their line in the fishin pond.

• 133 Lynn
          November 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I understand, cookemom. I found myself in possession of a towering rage and had to pull back, too, but I always lurk here for sanitys sake. We’re comrades in Lurkdom!

44. November 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Gorgeous photo:

November 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

So Twitter has been allowing this account @PCtypesCanSukit to spew raging homicidal rants about killing PBO, and other prominent Democrats, while they suspend/ban other folks for all kinds of silly things like having “too many mentions” in responses. WTF is Twitter’s problem?

Here’s an example of what Twitter seems to think is no problem:

And I’m not even going to get into the rabid misogyny, homophobia, and just about every other form of bigotry that exists – expressed from this account. But even with all of that you can’t help but get a very intense Obama-hatred emanating from the entire TL. And this person is former military with many former and current conservative “military” followers who are equally rabid with their hateful venom. Anyway, this individual has been reported by many users to Secret Service and FBI.

• November 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Yesterday, I went to the base to drop some paperwork for daughter. The building I had to go to contained a huge waiting room where at least 50 soldiers. There were 3 big screen televisions ….all three were on Fox News.

November 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm

In my opinion, it’s irresponsible for a government agency which serves people who are already mentally at risk to be displaying a network which promotes rampant paranoia and hatred of the very government that these people are part of and rely on for post-employment healthcare and other services.

In my opinion, there should be NO 24/7 news networks in the public domains of these agencies..

• 139 dotster3
      November 22, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Whenever I check, these violent haters are almost always “former military”—-and almost always have a religious reference to describe themselves.