Nov

President Obama & SOS Kerry Deliver In Geneva

Pres Obama with John Kerry, Susan Rice and Phil Gordon in the Oval Office today before SOS Kerry departs for Geneva November 22, 2013

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry arrives in Geneva, Switzerland, November 23, 2013.

***

President Barack Obama talks on a conference call with U.S. negotiators in Geneva, and Deputy National Security Advisors Tony Blinken and Ben Rhodes in the Oval Office, to discuss negotiations with Iran, Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013.

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry shakes hands with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov before a bilateral meeting on the margins of talks focused on Iran’s nuclear capabilities, Geneva, Switzerland, November 23, 2013.

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry sits with French Minister Laurent Fabius before a bilateral meeting on the margins of talks focused on Iran’s nuclear capabilities, Geneva, Switzerland, November 23, 2013.

***

President Barack Obama meets in the Oval Office with Chief of Staff Denis McDonough, and Deputy National Security Advisors Tony Blinken and Ben Rhodes, to discuss ongoing negotiations with Iran, Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry takes notes on the back of a piece of paper as Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov speaks with him about policy matters after the P5+1 member nations concluded a nuclear deal with Iran in Geneva, Switzerland, on November 24, 2013.

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry embraces Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman after the P5+1 member nations concluded a nuclear deal with Iran in Geneva, Switzerland, on November 24, 2013.

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry sits between Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius at the United Nations Headquarters after the P5+1 member nations concluded a nuclear deal with Iran in Geneva, Switzerland, on November 24, 2013.

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his fellow P5+1 foreign ministers, as well as Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, center, listen as European Union High Representative Catherine Ashton speaks at United Nations Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, after the group concluded negotiations about Iran’s nuclear capabilities on November 24, 2013.

Deal reached on Iranian nuclear programme:  Video

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry addresses reporters and takes some of their questions during a news conference in Geneva, Switzerland, on November 24, 2013, after the P5+1 member nations concluded negotiations with Iran about its nuclear capabilities.

Full transcript of  SOS Kerry’s press conference

***

130 Responses to “President Obama & SOS Kerry Deliver In Geneva”

1. 2 africa
    November 24, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Good question.

2. 5 Nena20409
    November 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

A F R I C A , Africa Congrats on your Gold :!:

Awesome UT. Thanks.

Diplomacy is Not a Child’s play. Funny how the TBGOPers love to talk of wars…..none is willing to serve or have their kids serve.

3. 8 africa
    November 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm
  4. 9 Nena20409
    November 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hey Africa, it looks like it is Now just You and Moi at TOD Nation ;) Hmm?

• 10 africa
      November 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yup. And I am going to be off to do my charity work, picking citrus fruits to donate to food banks, etc. And lordy, it is cold out here. See ya.

November 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

The same media who helped to derail Kerry’s campaign back in 2004 are now getting their comeuppance. Who’s talking about GWB now? No one!!!

6. November 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    November 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  8. November 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Hello again. Congrats Africa and thanks LP for another great thread.

9. 18 GGail
    November 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm

LP, thanks for the photo coverage!

I am so proud of the hard work all have done on this agreement and President Obama leading the Team!

November 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    • 20 a4alice
      November 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

wouldn’t this suggest that the Israeli people are supportive of this? That their confidence has risen in a peaceful resolution so they feel more confident in selling and trading?

11. 21 Lb4Obama
    November 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Look! I think we found the original Caraboo Barbie. Or maybe Sarah’s the reincarnate of this other “fake princess”. LOL!

Caraboo, the Fake Princess
    Wikimedia
    In 1817, one young woman caused quite a stir in Bristol and notoriously fashionable spa town, Bath, England: Princess Caraboo, the daughter of the ruler of Javasu, a Malaysian island nation. Caraboo was a charming collection of exotic dress, habits and language; she had a lovely figure, fine features, and appeared to understand very little of English culture—when confronted with a bed, for example, she didn’t know what to do with it. So imagine everyone’s shock when it turned out that the captivating royal foreigner wasn’t from as far away as Malaysia—she was barely from as far away as the next county. “Princess Caraboo” and indeed, Javasu itself, was an elaborate fiction created by Mary Baker, daughter of a Devonshire cobbler endowed with a tremendous imagination and a near-pathological tendency to lie.

12. 22 forus50
    November 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

UT,
    This is a great video clip from Reuters of the hugs and handshakes after the signing last night that the press is using still photos from – don’t know if you want to post up top. I think some folks may have missed this last night.as of course it wasn’t on any US cable channels.

This one is a bit longer and is more of a news clip with some of the same or more video.

13. 24 forus50
    November 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm

ok, got pretty much everything wrong. Lovely Plains!! Somehow it isn’t linking to the right video. Maybe you know how? It’s on the video list on this website page anyway.

November 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm

ROTFLMAO!

November 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Woot! Tod’s foreign correspondent is back from vacation and posting again! Way to go, LPlains! Thanks.

• November 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm

LOL….. My pleasure VC, and thank you TOD for the kind words! They are very much appreciated :)

• 37 PoliticalJunkessa
      November 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

:cool:

November 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hello there, friend! Were you checking out the Geneva situation on line last night? What a wonderful ‘start’, eh?

November 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Beautiful!!

• 43 PoliticalJunkessa
          November 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I followed a little bit yesterday, now I’m diving in and catching up on everything. It’s a little bit chilly here in central VA so I’ve snuggled up and will be reading, reading, reading for the rest of the afternoon as I keep an eye on the laundry and the crockpot. :-)

How are you, VCkins?

November 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Cold. And lazily trying to convince myself if I don’t look out the window I won’t have to go and clear the thick snow from the driveway. Other than that, I’m absolutely fine. Final load of laundry is in the washer, vegetables already prepared and ready for a stir fry dinner, and I’m hanging out in the village. What more could I possibly need? ;)

• 45 PoliticalJunkessa
              November 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Snow! Ah, just let it melt, lol. Good to hear all is well. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

November 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

THAT is exactly *my* first choice too, PJ. You and I do have a lot in common. ;) Problem is there’s so much I might get stuck in the driveway IF I have to go in to work tomorrow. Not that I’m going to spoil my TOD time now worrying about that. :grin: :grin:

• 47 GGail
              November 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Thick snow :shock:

November 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm

It’s pretty though. The sun reflects beautifully off of it, and it’s almost pristine (Offspring had to walk through to get to the street on his way to church). :grin:

• 56 jackiegrumbacher
          November 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thanks, VC. That photo shows a whole lot of respect of the president by his SOS. Kerry is focusing on every word the president says–there is no question who is calling the shots.

16. 58 Nena20409
    November 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

The United States began a tentative outreach shortly after Mr Obama’s inauguration in January 2009. Mr Obama and Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, exchanged letters, but the engagement yielded no results.
    In the end, it was efforts to win the release of three American hikers who had strayed across the Iranian border which led to the clandestine diplomacy.
    Oman’s Sultan Qaboos was a key player, facilitating the release of the hikers in late 2010 and 2011 and then offering himself as a mediator for a US-Iran rapprochement. The secret informal discussions between mid-level officials in Washington and Tehran began.

////

POTUS is a 3 point shooter. Long Game is how he plots and thinks. Time and time again, it pays off.

November 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm
  18. November 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I was in the midst of commenting on someone’s post and I had to look up a spelling. Lost the post. Anyway I think it’s important to understand Diplomacy and what it was like in the past. Nixon was trying to end the war in Vietnam. His campaign promise. Didn’t work out too well. Yardarm might remember the details better than me. But if RWNJs and emoprogs declare this agreement doesn’t accomplish much remind them of the Paris Peace talks. Peace with honor was Nixon and Kissinger’s slogan. Do you know they negotiated for months on seating arrangements alone? They stopped and started those talks so many times it was crazy. If anyone thinks Henry Kissinger deserved the Noble Peace prize I think they are crazy. He was a conservative. Not all winners are liberals. They talked him up big time. Called him sexy, etc. Similar to what they did with Rumsfeld. Barbra Walters was in love with him, but he grabbed a young one. ;) If you had a loved one in the military you payed attention. Especially if you were pregnant with your first child. Repugs have and always will be hypocrites. There hasn’t been a decent one since Pres. Eisenhower. He was counted by both Dems and Repugs to join their party. He wasn’t political. The time for Diplomacy won’t take the ten years and trillions of dollars the war in Iraq did. Rant done.

• 62 mtmarilyn
      November 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Great rant CarolMae! I agree with Laura Rozen’s tweet. If you are complaining about this agreement you didn’t want any. I do remember those negotiations in Paris taking so long and I don’t think anyone really understood what they accomplished. If you remember those last flights out of Vietnam, it wasn’t peace with honor.

• November 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Thanks Marilyn. We must be around the same age. I didn’t have access to a lot of newspapers or TV stations, but I heard and saw enough.

• 64 mtmarilyn
          November 24, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I turned 67 in April. I was a junior when Kennedy was shot. I remember the Cuba crisis.

• November 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I guess six years makes a big difference when your young because I was eleven. Sixth grade I guess. Plus living on a farm in a rural community is very different from a collage town. As I got older I thought we were probably ten years behind fashion, music etc. ;)

• 66 jackiegrumbacher
      November 24, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Carol Mae, I also remember that it took THREE YEARS to negotiate an end of hostilities in the Korean War. As a kid I remember thinking what on earth could they think to talk about for three years. It seemed absolutely crazy to me. But that’s what diplomacy is all about–glacial progress and infinite patience. This process appeared to go faster because of all the meticulous groundwork laid by the Obama administration as Nena said above.

P.S. When I was a kid there was a news agency across the street from where I lived. Everyday, I would pass by and see the headlines from the New York papers and that was the way I got news since we didn’t subscribe to these papers and didn’t yet have tv. It’s amazing how those headlines have stuck in my mind. That’s how I knew about the Korean peace talks and the Rosenberg executions and other big events of the day.

• November 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wow! The Nations we’re dealing with will were one down. Repubs just don’t have the patience. So happy were in the age of Pres. Obama. I don’t watch TV for news unless it’s important breaking news. There’s not I could have watched last night while we were waiting to hear the news. And then they cut of Kerry’s speech I’ve heard. I’d be lost without TOD.

• November 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I always thought when I got older we were probably ten years behind in fashion, music, etc.

19. 69 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

OH HAPPY DAY! “Blessed are the Peacemakers” indeed.

What an incredibly gifted, extraordinarily competent, and deeply visionary President, Secretary of State, and diplomatic team we have! Once again Barack Obama proves that the Nobel Peace Prize was more than appropriate. And John Kerry thrives in the job of which he has always dreamed.

THIS is what excellence in governance looks like and I’m so glad to be witnessing this history in the making!

November 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’m sure Americans will be at the airport to welcome Secretary Kerry home, too.

November 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

JO’B, that would be nice, but I’d be very surprised to see it happen. (North) Americans seem only invested that way in their sport teams.

November 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yep. I was being facetious, but – if I could – I’d be there. And I’m sure if I turned around and looked, we’d all be there, in our hearts!

• 76 globalcitizenlinda
      November 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

wish we could do the same for SoS Kerry and his team

• 78 jackiegrumbacher
      November 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Well JOB, at this point, Kerry is probably so exhausted he just wants to get home to Teresa. Both he and his wife have fine children and are probably grandparents at this point. I hope he and his whole family have a wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving. He has earned it many thousands of times over.

November 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So true, jackieG. I plan to thank my lucky stars this Thanksgiving for people like President Obama, Vice President Biden, and Secretary Kerry, and the families who support them!

21. 80 a4alice
    November 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

great collection of pics LP! Wonderful post – thanks! :D

22. 81 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

We will keep finding out WHAT each public figure is all about and who supports their crazy ideas

23. 82 gn
    November 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Just writing another periodic thank you for the exquisite coverage of the PBO presidency which this site continues to offer. It’s greatly appreciated by us lurkers!

24. 84 Ladyhawke
    November 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE ELECTED BARACK OBAMA.

President Obama Ushering In World Peace, Corporate Media Shrugs

by Mr. Brink

————————–

The president earned every bit of his Nobel Peace Prize this weekend, which should drive his buffoonish critics to new lows to explain away his mastery of presidential politics on the world stage.

You’ve never seen anything like this before, America. ‘Hope and Change’ are alive and well, despite the best efforts of saboteurs and the cynics to see it destroyed.

This is exactly why we elected Barack Obama.

———————————–

• 85 Nena20409
      November 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Good over Evil…..Bob Marley sang in It’s Too Rude.

Is it any wonder these saboteurs use LUCKY, never can find any credit for this POTUS, are quick to accuse him of all sorts of things. They constantly underestimating him. WHY?

They don’t see POTUS as themselves. Hence their severe case of ODS. It is an illness. They see the OTHER.

We The People of Goodwill, see a POTUS :!:

• 86 jackiegrumbacher
      November 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm

LH, when Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, I told a friend of mine that he was a political genius, one rarely found in history. At the time I meant this within the context of the American political scene, but he has now shown us that he is a genius in worldwide politics as well. He is truly one of the most astonishingly brilliant politicians and statesmen in history.

25. 87 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm
  26. 88 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm

response to the tweet is a great sentiment!

27. 89 Linda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm

The Nobel Peace Prize 2009 was awarded to Barack H. Obama “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”.

Thorbjorn Jagland, Leader of Noble Committee.

• 90 Ladyhawke
      November 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

2009 Nobel Peace Prize Lecture by Barack Obama

• November 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thank you…..for posting this…

When i voted for our extraordinary President…I did not know how extraordinary he would be…I am so very aware at how fortunate we are to not only here in America but in the world to have Barack Obama as the President of these United States of America!!!

YES WE CAN!

• 92 Ladyhawke
          November 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

i can’t tell you the number of times I have listened to this Nobel Peace Prize Lecture. It’s brilliant. I could listen to President Obama speak all day. The pragmatism and wisdom that flows from that beautiful baritone is a tremendous source of comfort for me. He really is a remarkable man. It is sad that so many in this country are so blinded by their hate that they can’t see the true measure of the man. It’s their loss. PBO continues to make his critics look petty and small.

28. 94 Nena20409
    November 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Every president since Jimmy Carter has tried to make a deal with the Islamic Republic of Iran. None have succeeded. President Barack Obama just did. The deal to limit and begin to roll back Iran’s nuclear program may be the most important foreign policy success of his tenure.

It starts with a single step, and it is an important one. The first phase of the agreement just reached in Geneva makes it much more difficult for Iran to dash for a bomb. It also begins to lock down the nuclear program that has plagued United States officials for over ten years.

29. 96 Ladyhawke
    November 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Jeffrey Goldberg ‏@JeffreyGoldberg 14h

——————————————————

The Israeli government position that any Iran agreement is a bad agreement simply isn’t credible.

——————————————————

30. 97 Ladyhawke
    November 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

“Double Down” Was Written for Morning Joe—Not Posterity

31. 100 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm

points made here clarify a key point

November 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm

O/T for this thread, but I mentioned this yesterday and thought it was important.

Duke Energy’s guilty plea in bird deaths at wind farms a first

No form of energy generation, or human activity for that matter, is completely free of impacts, and wind energy is no exception,” the American Wind Energy Association said in a statement.
    The case against Duke Energy and Duke Energy Renewables Inc. was the first prosecuted under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act against a wind energy company. The Obama administration has championed pollution-free wind power and used the same law against oil companies and power companies for drowning and electrocuting birds.

“In this plea agreement, Duke Energy Renewables acknowledges that it constructed these wind projects in a manner it knew beforehand would likely result in avian deaths,” Robert G. Dreher, acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division, said in a statement.
    Duke has a market capitalization of nearly $50 billion.

• 102 Don
      November 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for clearing that up desertflower, I didn’t know that Duke Energy knowingly built wind turbines in such a way that went against the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

November 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm

TELL YOUR SENATORS: DON’T UNDERMINE IRAN NEGOTIATIONS WITH NEW SANCTIONS
    While 62% of American Jews support the way President Obama is handling Iran’s nuclear program, organizations that claim to represent the American Jewish community are undermining his approach by pushing for new and harsher penalties against Iran.

The outcome of the talks set to resume in Geneva on November 20 is far from certain, but new sanctions will definitively bring the process to a halt.

Hawkish organizations working to undermine a nuclear agreement are making their voices heard. Let’s make sure that the voice of the pro-diplomacy majority rings louder. Tell your Senators that now is not the time for new sanctions.

34. 107 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

as we get into the spirit of the holiday season, some are raising questions that make me pause and think very deeply

here is some food (pardon the word) for thought

great question – I need to ponder this more regularly

November 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm

WTF, GQ!!! http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/celebrities/free/20131124obama-cyrus-gqs-least-influential-list.html

Dennis Rodman is at the top of a list no one wants to be on at all. He’s been named GQ magazine’s No. 1 least influential celebrity of 2013.

The 52-year-old former basketball player who has visited Kim Jong Un in North Korea was the top pick in the magazine’s third annual list of the least influential celebrities, which also includes twerking pop star Miley Cyrus, President Barack Obama and celebrity chef Paula Deen.

Obama came in at No. 17 because “nothing gets done.”

Maybe someone should REMIND GQ of the accomplishments of this President!! In light of the fact that the CONSTANT OBSTRUCTION FROM THE GOP IS THE REASON WHY NOTHING SEEMS TO GET DONE! Freaking idiots.

• November 24, 2013 at 4:13 pm

President Obama appearing on this list infuriates me like nothing else has this year. It’s a clear demonstration that the media is worthless. They can’t even keep themselves informed. I find myself often looking forward to the end of this presidency, because it will [hopefully] mean the end of the abuse, disrespect and ungratefulness directed toward this stellar President.

• 110 Obama Grandmama
        November 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm

My problem with thinking about the end of this presidency is thinking of all the damage the next president can do in undoing what did get done by this president. Maybe we need to do a boycott of GQ magazine for poor judgement and research.

November 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Jeff Gauvin ‏@JeffersonObama 35m
    You had almost no Republicans backing the President in bombing Syria. They talked of values, Constiution…war is wrong….but…now….
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Collapse

37. 112 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I loooooove the photo of SoS Kerry getting of the plane in Geneva!

the look on his face is very serious (as usual) but the gait & fashion is very “Obama-like” or GQ

November 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm

John Kerry will go down in US history as one of our most extraordinary statesmen.

• 114 Nena20409
        November 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I don’t know if you had seen a video of SoS Kerry tearing up as he was asked by Tom B. of NBC news; where was he when he heard that JFK had been killed. He was at Harvard playing football International style. It teared me up too. He is a nice man from what I have read about him.

November 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

No I haven’t seen the video, but wanted to see it because I heard about it. I will check out the You Tube and see what I find. :)

• 116 carolyn
      November 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I thought the same thing…gcl. Seems like these two men just have an inner elegance that shows up on the outside…looks absolutely effortless.
      However, it is because inside they are good men and committed to working for the world. As many of us have said, this is the job Sec Kerry was born for….yet, think how much better the world would be now if he had won in 2004! We saw him in the January before the election, in OKC, he was none of the things the press said about him: aloof, didactic, stiff, uninterested…..we were very close to him, and saw him very well. We were very impressed. We still are.

38. 118 Don
    November 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

And those chairs that SOS Kerry and French Minister Fabius sat in, I bring those chairs home and the wife will let me eat pizza for dinner whenever I want to.

November 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Off to tutor…teacher’s work is never done:)

40. 121 Ladyhawke
    November 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

John Cornyn Is Bad for America

By Chez Pazienza

—————————————-

This is where we are now. This is why this country is ungovernable and basically is broken beyond repair: because people like John Cornyn hate their political adversaries more than they love America. There’s no victory for the United States that hardcore Republicans can share in if it means giving an ounce of credit to Barack Obama.
    As long as Barack Obama is in the White House, every American victory will continue to be met with suspicion and derision from assholes like John Cornyn. And every American tragedy will be seen as an opportunity to score cheap political points. And all of it will continue to be what it is right now: bad for this country.

———————————————-

41. 122 globalcitizenlinda
    November 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    November 24, 2013 at 3:27 pm

By-the-by, has anyone seen or run into Cookemom since the tornado? She would normally have looked in by this, wouldn’t she? Especially in the light of today’s good news.

43. 127 a4alice
    November 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm
  44. 128 Don
    November 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Why did I turn away from watching my hometown Dolphins to watch MSNBC, as usual the same old doom and gloom.