Nov

Pay Michelle Obama a Salary, then We’ll Talk

by @zizii2

Listen, Misses Michelle Cottle, Keli Goff, Time Mag’s Kay Hymowitz, and your ilk:

This is 2013 not 1851, or 1619 for that matter. FLOTUS Michelle Obama is NOT Sojourner Truth who carried the cause of the Suffragettes on her burdened shoulders in Akron Ohio, knowing perfectly well that the women on whose behalf she spoke were not going to fight her battles with her against slavery, and certainly not her particular oppression as a black woman. And Ms Truth said as much in her famous speech “Aren’t I a Woman”?

“Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain’t I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain’t I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man – when I could get it – and bear the lash as well! And ain’t I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother’s grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain’t I a woman?”

And what were the Suffragettes fighting for? Repeal of women’s status as legal minors, recognition of their rights to property, and the right to vote. None of these were ever going to accrue to Sojourner Truth.

But she knew the value of the recorded word and like a Troubadour, used it to full effect to wedge her place into American history. As for those on whose behalf she spoke, the fact that as recently as 1998 there was even a battle over her inclusion in the statue of 19th Century Women’s Rights activists belatedly installed in the Capitol Rotunda, says volumes about the rifts between modern day heiresses of the Women’s Rights Movement, and People of Color, as well as economically disadvantaged women of all races. Incidentally, those claiming the need to preserve the “artistic fidelity” of the 1920s sculptor of the statue won that fight to exclude Ms. Truth from that effigy in 1997-1998.

It was only in 2009 that FLOTUS Michelle Obama helped unveil the stand alone bust of Sojourner Truth in the Capitol Rotunda. She is the one who Michelle Obama looks up to fully appreciate the long road women of color have traveled from the plantations and ghettoes to pave the way for her own current perch.
She said (starting from 2:10 min mark):

“I hope that Sojourner Truth would be proud to see me, a descendant of slaves serving as the First Lady of the United States of America. So I am proud to be here on this day for this dedication…”

If you privileged snobs had your druthers about you you’d realize that Michelle Obama’s chosen causes to fight for are all founded on the principle of “EXPANDING ACCESS TO OPPORTUNITY” to as many people as possible who would otherwise have those DOORS PERMANENTLY SHUT in their faces. Her concern is about the broad base of the pyramid not about how high the tip can pierce clouds and ceilings, glass or otherwise.

Shocking, I know, that a highly accomplished woman in her own right would forego the pedestal altogether in order to bring the largest number of potentially talented but economically disadvantaged young’uns along to sit, read, dance or stoop with her, be it at the children’s state dinners she pioneered, read-ins at schools, founding a seldom publicized mentoring program pairing accomplished women with teenage girls, or encouraging kids and parents to see exercise as fun not drudgery, or plant, harvest, cook and drool over fresh produce.

That you think what she is doing is “safe” and “inconsequential” says a lot more about your hubris and poverty of imagination, than it actually measures the worth of her actions. You, ladies are blinded by your beltway status and privileged life.

Have you walked to any of the run-down schools in communities surrounding your beltway cocktail junket circuit? Know why several of those bright eyed kids become sad statistics? They are no less intellectually endowed than you were at their age. Opportunity. Access. Simple.

And Michelle Obama’s doing her bit to ensure those young bodies survive physically, live healthily, thrive intellectually, and gain confidence professionally. It is the unsexy work most in need of doing. She chose to spend her unpaid tenure as First Lady to help crack those doors a little wide open. And you in your infinite wisdom, or is it stupidity, have a problem with that?

Many commentators have already said plenty to debunk both your premise and arguments about Michelle Obama’s relevance to “the feminist cause” (there is only ONE? Right there is the problem). I just wanna ask you.

Have you already Deconstructed the “patriarchal trap” embodied in the FLOTUS position itself at your most recent professional conference? And you expect Michelle Obama to turn into Superwoman and instantly transform an unelected position into the ramparts of the battleground to fight your ideological battles? For the insults you’ve rained on her, exactly HOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYING Michelle Obama to serve as First Lady?

Your feminist forebears rode Sojourner Truth and all unsung heroines like her, like mules, expecting them to leave their own children (if they’ve not been sold downriver!) caterwauling in their shacks, to take care of your children, spiffy up your manses, lace up your stays and undergarments, fetch your chamberpots, your stirrups and riding clothes, primp your hair.

Now about that war you want Michelle Obama Joan of Arc-ing herself for, where are you yourselves positioned on that front? You Ms Cottle, praise Sarah Palin then expect someone else to fight back against her religious fundamentalists’ and Tea Party’s War on Women? Did I see you jump up to defend 9 year old Quvenzhane Wallis when she was viciously attacked by your fellow media? How about the myriad times Mrs Obama herself has been ferociously attacked? Did you speak up to defend her? See, as we say in my homeland, “hand go, hand come”.

I’m sorry, but SHOW MICHELLE THE MONEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY, then we’ll talk. Until then, Ms Obama gon take care of her own. “You better call Tyrone, but you can’t use Michelle’s phone.” Secret Service on line One…Ma’am!

154 Responses to “Pay Michelle Obama a Salary, then We’ll Talk”

November 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Great piece Zizi. Hypocrites under the banner of feminism, who haven’t done diddly squat with their lives, want to tell the first African-American First Lady, who has accomplished much with her life, what to do. That’s the start of a very “hilarious” joke.

FLOTUS by her mere presence is broadening horizons for every young person out there and even the not so young. She doesn’t rest on her position and is out there in her community and the broader American community, educating, encouraging and changing the world, minute by minute.

Because of her laser focus on childhood obesity, the CDC reported that the country is seeing improvements in children and families. Because of her focus on military families, over 100K of them have gotten jobs, educational opportunities, and corporations are using their skills to improve the economy. Because of her focus on education, children are seeing limitless possibilities for themselves and are dreaming big dreams.

Michelle Cottle and her elitist white feminist ilk have been assaulting Michelle Obama’s character since her introduction to the world stage in 2008; and time after time, they have been proven wrong and have ended up laughingstocks. They have never ventured into the neighborhoods FLOTUS has gone into and improved, noooo…they just sit in their ivory towers thumbing their noses, and penning ridiculous pieces.

Michelle Cottle, not First Lady Michelle Obama is the “feminist nightmare.”

• November 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, UT. You nailed it. but for the galling consequences, this would be a bad joke. But it’s seriously demeaning toward FLOTUS

• 3 Roberta in MN
        November 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm

You both nailed it. Thank you.

• November 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

SMACKDOWN!!!!!….seriously, a major THANK YOU for the words so eloquently put. Things like this are why I still have a FACEBOOK page. POSTED!

• 7 Smoothscotch
            November 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Tell it zizi.

Btw, “you better call Tyrone”‘ Guyanese by any chance? Lol

• November 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

it was a very popular Erykah Badu song about a decade ago dumping a mooching partner for never pulling his weight resource-wise in the relationship. I linked to the you tube original. Just click on the red underlined phrase “You better call Tyrone” and you’ll hear the song. The analogy here is to the privileged “feminists moochers” who expect others to fight battles for them, while they whine.

• 9 Smoothscotch
                November 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi zizi, I got the analogy only because I heard a calypso song and one of the lyrics was “you better call Tyronr”. Same reason, so maybe the source was the original song. Good music. :-)

November 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Perfectly stated Ut!

• 11 dotster3
      November 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I don’t feel like reading the ridic Politico piece again, but I think I remember black feminists jumping on board the criticism also, no? So not just the white gals who need something else to do, some other focus than Michelle Obama, who has been exemplary in her role——has conducted herself with elegance and grace and has done everything just right, in my opinion. And she is highly respected by all but those who hang out on the outer fringes, wherever they may be.

November 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

What is Michelle Cottle doing for the feminists movement?

2. 13 Roberta in MN
    November 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Congrats UTA on 1st Gold Star. Now I can go back & read this post. :)

3. 14 GGail
    November 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Ok, I’m First…..after UT! :lol:

4. 19 JER
    November 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

LIVE NOW: Awaiting President Obama’s departure from Los Angeles: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

5. 21 Nena20409
    November 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Wow…..Zizi2, My goodness. Your post is right on the money. Thank you.

Congrats on your Gold UT.

Your Tweets as always, AAA+. Thanks.

November 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks zizi for this excellent rebuttal! Kay Hymowitz tried to backpedal and claim that she was being sarcastic….I was happy to see that folks didn’t let her get away with that.

7. November 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Speaking great truth Zizi I and bless you for doing so. Michelle is one in a million!

8. 26 Roberta in MN
    November 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

That was just awesome Zizi2. You put right out there. Thank you.

9. November 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Bravo Bravo Bravo

ZIZI, YOU ROCK!!!

ALL THE WAY!!

Tell the truth on those clowns.

They better recognize…we do NOT PLAY with people who think they’ll mess with FLOTUS

November 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Honest Question: Has Michelle Cottle, Kay Hymowitz or Keli Goff singularly done significant anything that effected a policy change for the betterment of women and/or children’s lives?

November 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

hopefruit2, what have either one of those women did? I would love to know.

November 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm

That’s what I’m still trying to find out, because I haven’t seen or heard anything about their accomplishments that advanced women’s rights….

11. 31 Nena20409
    November 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

No amount of deleting his Vile wicked comments will be satisfactory.

How many righties would call this basta*d out? None.

Conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza on Tuesday called President Barack Obama a “Grown-Up Trayvon” on his Twitter page, but he appeared to delete the tweet shortly after.

“Feigned outrage on the left over me calling Obama ‘grown up Trayvon’ except that Obama likened himself to Trayvon!” he said.

The Cheater is despicable and a total idiot.

12. November 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Spectacular, Zizi, spectacular. I don’t know where to start, but this leapt out at me and I almost hugged the laptop:

Oh Lord, you write like a dream.

Thank you so much Zizi.

November 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

ROTFLMAO!

• 40 Roberta in MN
      November 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Jut made one of my dressing from scratch. NO stove top for me. I am making 2 different kinds. One goes in the bird and other just as an extra. We have 24 Seniors signed up for the Thanksgiving Potluck for Thursday. I am hoping all goes well. We are going to formally set the tables,and do the whole nine yards. We wanted everyone to feel at home and have a great meal too boot.
      Hope and pray all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

November 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Thanks and the same to you Roberta. As a disclaimer, I’ve used stovetop at various times, not just Thanksgiving. It’s okay, but of course, nothing beats stuffing made from scratch. :) :)

• 42 GGail
      November 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I don’t think I could cook Thanksgiving dinner without the smell of the celery, onions, gizzards, etc boiling on the stove. Then making 2 skillets of cornbread to make my stuffing. Mmmmmm good smells = good food!

14. 45 debz
    November 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Love your truth-telling, ZiZi2!!! I think I have watched MHP’s video 6 times in the past couple days. Michelle Obama has accomplished much since becoming First Lady, both with Let’s Move and with her work with Military families. Her new focus on education is very important as well. No so called “feminist” has any right to tell FLOTUS what to do or that her work isn’t important.

November 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Let’s retweet and fave this! :)

16. 47 carolyn
    November 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Those three women are what my parents used to call derisively “limousine liberals”…..never get their hands dirty, just ride around in their limousines lecturing everyone else. So glad you answered them in this powerful manner, zizi.

By the way, I bought my issue of the Journal today with FLOTUS’s picture on the front, and the article inside. I’ve already read it. When she was asked what she wanted her White House legacy to be, she answered: “I would like for it to be a legacy of inclusion.” How apt and how like her. I do admire that woman more than I can even express.

Also…..SO GLAD Lara Logan’s been “put on leave.”…..hope it’s permanent!!!!!

17. 50 Ladyhawke
    November 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm

‘This could be dramatic’

By Steve Benen

————————————-

Quite right. The proposed guidance, for example, would say that “social welfare” organizations couldn’t engage in campaign activities such as airing television ads within 60 days of an election.

We’ll learn more about the detail soon, but the goal here is to start applying meaningful definitions – and setting credible limits – on what a “social welfare,” tax-exempt, non-profit group can do to influence the outcome of elections. No matter what the guidance says, the parameters likely won’t be in place to influence the 2014 cycle, but in 2016 and beyond, the administration’s proposed changes have the potential to make an enormous impact on U.S. elections.

————————————-

18. 52 JER
    November 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Steve Martin And President Obama Greet With Elbow Bump At DreamWorks Studios

19. 62 99ts
    November 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Wow zizi – an amazing piece – should be Front Page News across the land – my first read of the day could never be better than this

20. 63 jackiegrumbacher
    November 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Zizi, you never fail to amaze me with your ability to speak to our hearts. You write with such insight, passion and intelligence, not to mention deftness, that you just sweep us all in with you, cheering you on and saying, “right, right, damn right.” It is such a privilege to read your posts. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.

21. 65 Nena20409
    November 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Zizi2, I went and read your post again.

I re-read the above paragraph and Said: Lord have Mercy.

This post is a BFD. Truth is Truth.

Thank you. Thank You. Thank you so very much.

November 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Mrs. Cottle and her article isn’t worth sh*t. And by now she knows that people are not satisfied her attacking our beloved FLOTUS, with her bogus claims..

22. November 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

And aw, Dinesh decided that the fellatio he was getting from his “supporters” didn’t quite make up for the shitstorm he was getting on Twitter. He deleted his “grown-up Trayvon” tweet.

23. 68 Dudette
    November 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Ran across another great painting of POTUS.
    Love his expression in this one. Clearly he’s intently listening to some serious business.

Not sure who the artist is but I think I’ve narrowed it down to one of two people based on their painting style (and the awesome Google Image search feature). Neither have this particular portrait on their websites currently, but either looks like they could be the author of this beautiful work.

Either its Elizabeth McClancy: She’s got a great book of portraits of Democratic leaders painted a few years back. There’s another one in there of POTUS back from the 2008 campaigns. It includes other notable Dems including VPOTUS and HRC (both also, I think from the 2008 campaign

Or Gabriel Mejia http://www.gabrielmejia.com/portraits/
    :-)

• 69 Nena20409
      November 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I looked at that Portrait and I keep seeing Malcolm X without his glasses for a second. Then I moved back up and said, Oops, that is POTUS.

24. 70 Dudette
    November 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • 71 GGail
      November 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm

It’s so sad that the tragedy has to hit home before those with power make things happen. My heart breaks for Sen Deeds, but we’ve needed his input & power for some years now to help expand and strengthen our mental health situation here in the United States. We welcome him and hope his works will ease his sorrow.

25. 72 Dudette
    November 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm
  26. 73 Dudette
    November 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm
  27. November 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I guess Iranians are truly in love with Pres Barack Obama. Hasan Rouhani has just released a video imitating the Will I. Am “Yes We Can video from 2008. Rouhani’s is intended to mark 100 days in office. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :)

28. 85 Dudette
    November 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  29. November 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Nothing left to say zizi except you are a wonderful person & writer and I’m proud to interact with you. Thank you.

30. November 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Exquisite, Zizi…… dropping by for a second, glad I did! Will catch up later………. somebody may be sharing your thought process?

31. November 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Part of what is so frustrating about this particular criticism of Michelle Obama is that they are implicitly saying that being a mom is of lesser importance than other things. As feminists we have to expand our definition of feminism to include nurture, care, wellness–the things that traditionally were considered women’s work are really the wisdom that our world desperately needs. We have been disconnected from our mother earth–polluting and exploiting instead of living in harmony. Planting a garden, learning about agriculture, working with the earth to grow the healthy food that sustains our living, and teaching others-these are the ultimate feminist acts. Do we really want to limit feminism to replacing men in the roles of a patriarchal culture? Feminism is about the choice to be our authentic selves and being respected for our choices.

32. 103 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I know this is not a human, but this shooting and killing of an Amish buggy horse in Pa. is also sickening. The horse was a victim of a drive-by as an Amish family was returning to their farm. Why? Because some deranged, idiotic gun nut had a gun on the front seat beside him and felt like shooting something? Had a resentment of the pacifist Amish? Uncontrolled anger of the horse and buggy on the road? Whatever was the motivation, it was sick. These gun people are sick, sick, sick.

33. November 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

“Michelle Obama’s chosen causes to fight for are all founded on the principle of “EXPANDING ACCESS TO OPPORTUNITY” to as many people as possible who would otherwise have those DOORS PERMANENTLY SHUT in their faces. Her concern is about the broad base of the pyramid not about how high the tip can pierce clouds and ceilings, glass or otherwise.”

This. The Obama’s are really the people’s people.

Excellent retort, zizi..

36. November 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Brave zizi bravo. I hope you don’t mind but I sent a tweet to the Cottle woman with your post. (Whoever Ms. Cottle is – I guess a self appointed arbiter of feminism who I’m sure would like to be seen as another Maureen Dowd; both trying to be clever but their words exposing their dull and ignorant views.) I can delete it but I thought it necessary for her to hear your truth.

• November 26, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Cottle is married to Chris Orr who used to be at TNR and moved to the Atlantic magazine awhile ago. Don’t know if he’s still there, not gonna waste my time to research.

She’s a blonde whiner who loves to talk up her Tennessee redneck background (from the enlighted northeast elite POV). Never did like her.

She made a name for herself spreading all sorts of behind-the-scenes gossip about Hillaryland strife in 2008 (this is back when I followed TNR).

She’s a shallow gossip, but she’s a perky blonde, so media loves her.

November 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    • 120 dotster3
      November 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I agree there are far more important things that need to be shut down, but even tho I hate to agree with Ezra, the turkey pardon is a tradition whose time has come and gone. President Obama always looks like this may be the last thing in the world he wants to be doing, and his girls look even more unhappy with this silly task, especially Malia.

• 121 amk for obama
        November 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

There are far more ridiculous things like black friday than a turkey pardon,which is actually endearing thing.

• 122 dotster3
          November 26, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Agree again that black friday is more ridiculous—already empty headed dumbheads have been camped out in heated tents! by Best Buy awaiting their nirvana—doors opening on Friday. It’s stupefying. But—-sorry—-”enearing” is in the eyes of the beholder—-and that poor dumb turkey standing there for a stupid human trick—–not really endearing.

• 123 amk for obama
            November 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I find it endearing. And I’m a furriner. And we do have our own ‘ridiculous’ traditions.

I will take these totebaggers seriously when they talk about things that matter.

• 124 nospin
              November 27, 2013 at 7:58 am

I also like the turkey pardoning. My kids get a kick out of it. It doesn’t hurt anything. The war on womens rights, healthcare, restricting voting rights…those are things to get upset about. Pardoning a turkey???? You don’t like it the don’t watch it.

• 126 nospin
      November 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

amk I am with you on that. That #fauxturkeygate is nothing but a heaping steaming pile of bullshyte ginned up to take folks attention off what is important.

November 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1017161160 Pic Of The Moment: The “Distraction” Distraction

I call it projection. WHO’S distracted again??

39. 131 Anna
    November 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Amen Zizi2, Amen.
    Popped in to take peek between errands and could not stop until read the whole piece.

40. 133 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 6:34 pm

And since I didn’t get a chance to chime in, I was very gratified to get home today to see that Lara Logan and her producer are getting their due for blasting propaganda out across the airwaves on previously respected 60 Minutes. Hope after her “leave of absence”, she is sent out to pasture, or FOXNews, which is the same thing.

41. 134 mtmarilyn
    November 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Oh zizi!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you! I hope all those beltway “ladies” read this. What a bunch of Princesses. They don’t know anything of real people’s lives.

Michelle is a Lady and I love and respect her.

42. 139 africa
    November 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Zizi, excellent!!

November 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm

The Pope bashed trickle down:) I think I love this man…and I’m not even religious. More of this please:) Head’s are exploding….or these ratfuckers are all going to hell. Either way works for me.

44. 143 anniebella
    November 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Let me thank you Zizi for that piece, I have a feeling the little witch Michelle Cottle didn’t think she would get the pushback she has received for that piece of crap article she wrote.

45. 145 sjterrid
    November 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Zizi, thanks again for your excellent essay. Your writing is superb. I do hope that in the near future you decide to write a book.

46. 149 HZ
    November 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Zizi, another brilliant piece. Thank you for your writings. HZ

November 27, 2013 at 1:46 am

Just seeing your writing here for the first time, zizi – this is a MASTERPIECE.

By the way, I’m an old white feminist and I look up to Michelle Obama as one of MY role models and a role model for my granddaughters, the youngest of whom at age 10 quotes her like she’s a goddess. Ignore those nameless, faceless bitches who think otherwise; their first expressed emotion is total JEALOUSY, and then a whole bunch of things after that.