Nov

The conservative movement’s death wish

Conservative lion, adulterer, and all around mensch Dinesh D’Souza decided to get into the Tweet machine and send off a Tweet—since deleted—about what he was grateful for this Thanksgiving.

I am thankful this week when I remember that America is big enough and great enough to survive Grown-Up Trayvon in the White House!

When a storm of feces descended upon him in response, he, for a moment, struck a defiant pose, in another since-deleted tweet:

Feigned outrage on the left over me calling Obama ‘grown up Trayvon’ except that Obama likened himself to Trayvon!

Now, Mr. D’Souza is a graduate of Dartmouth, so one would think he had some basic research skills. What President Obama actually said was that if he had a son, “he’d look like Trayvon.” Not that he, Obama himself, was Trayvon. Again, five seconds of Google time would have avoided quite a dust-up.

But that’s neither here nor there. At some very early point, Mr. D’Souza came to the realization that the fellatio he was receiving from his “supporters” didn’t quite outweigh the opprobrium raining down on him. So he did what any stalwart defender of conservative values would do: he deleted the offending Tweets, again proving that conservatives don’t know how the Internet works.

D’Souza’s flameout is just the most glaring example of a conservative movement which has no idea what it’s doing or how to sell itself. From John Boehner fabricating a horror story about signing up for Obamacare—which went up in smoke when HIS OWN STAFF admitted that it took less than an hour to do so—to neo-conservative Defenders of Israel having their heads explode at the thought of no bombing on the ancient culture of Iran, the conservative movement, while not in its death throes, is doing not at all well.

Now, I’m not sanguine that conservatism will vanish with the autumn leaves. France had a revolution much more radical than ours, and a conservative movement exists there to this day, even a quasi-fascist nativist movement.

Of course, the difference between a mainstream conservative in Europe and what passes for a mainstream conservative in the US is quite glaring. Even the thorniest of Tories doesn’t want to dismantle the National Health Service. There is a limit of acceptable discourse, and those who go beyond those limits are doomed to a gadfly existence.

Here in the US, however, it seems that in order to get any airtime you have to be more bat-crazy than the guy in the preceding segment. In any civilized society, the media would report that when conservatives say they want to repeal Obamacare, that what they actually mean is that they want to return to the system before the ACA, when consumers could be dropped when they got sick, lifetime caps doomed you to death, and millions had no access to the most basic of care. That is what would be reported on, rather than a glitchy website, as if the website were the totality of Obamacare.

But conservatives have gamed the system quite well. The media consolidation has put television news in the hands of mega-corporations, which have no love for liberalism. And the “liberal” media acts accordingly. Every once in a while a little truth gets through; that’s just so that the demographic at which its aimed keeps tuning in in hope and expectation.

However, a funny thing is happening. Conservatives have forgotten how to play the game. Or rather, what passes for conservative now is so to the right that it no longer bears any relation to reality. Thus D’Souza tweets his tweet about President Obama being a grown-up Trayvon, and that the US must “survive” him. Thus Rush Limbaugh compares the nuking of the filibuster to allowing rape. Thus every half-assed thing which comes out of a conservative’s mouth makes people who have some sense shake their heads in bewilderment.

At this point, it’s as if conservatives can’t help themselves. The fact that Obama has run rings around them in spite of their vigorous efforts has led to a psychotic break. Republicans fight Democrats with vile assertions. Republicans knife each other in purity contests. A strong, intelligent, black Democratic president who knows exactly what they’re up to, and times his attacks for maximum effect, has put them flat on their backs. They’re used to Democrats and liberals who are defensive. They’re used to the triangulations of a Bill Clinton. Barack Obama’s strength has sent them into a fugue state from which, as yet, they haven’t been able to awaken.

No, “conservatism” won’t die. But, with a bit of help, it can be reformed. It’s going to get uglier before it gets better. Dinesh D’Souza is just an example of that ugliness. But the fact that he felt it necessary to delete his tweets does speak to something in the air. Perhaps we’re finally establishing the broad parameters for a civilized discussion in the world’s oldest democracy. It won’t come a moment too soon.

96 Responses to “The conservative movement’s death wish”

November 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm

The Pope bashed trickle down:) I think I love this man…and I’m not even religious. More of this please:) Head’s are exploding….or these ratfuckers are all going to hell. Either way works for me.

• November 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm

One of our aides is a huge Pope Francis fan. And I’m the one who brings her up to speed on the things he does/says.

November 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

He surprises me more and more each day…in a GOOD way! Where has the sanity been hiding all this time? Nice piece, LL. As always. I think that PBO knew this going in and I think he gamed these reactions out. The RW has been bitchslapped and it can’t seem to recover now…they are all making mistake after helpless mistake….and if America is paying attention, they’re seeing through all the BS that has lasted decades. I don’t think that most people like to be lied to, no matter WHAT their political affiliation. The RW has been doing nothing BUT lying their asses off…and getting more and more vulgar and offensive with each passing day.

November 26, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Will Pope Francis be Europe’s next Obama?

November 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Seems to be working on it;)

• 6 Lovepolitics2008
            November 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I don’t know, but I get the feeling he’s been following very closely what’s going on in the United States. Is it just me or some of his statements are aimed directly at the religious right in America ? I mean… talking about “obsession” over gay rights and contraception, and then talking about income inequality and poverty. No doubt that there are “faux christians” everywhere in the world, but what’s going on in the USA is surely getting his attention, because the country is so big and has such GLOBAL influence.

Pope Francis seems to have emotional intelligence. I have NO DOUBT that he sees in President Obama a humanist and a man of integrity. I’m sure he prays for him. And I hope he’s aware of the dilemmas of the president’s job ( working for peace vs destroying terrorists networks for example), so he won’t condemn him easily, as some peace activists do.

• November 26, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Does anyone ever asked themselves *why* we have a Pope Francis after the reign of Ratzinger and a President Rouhani after Ahmadinejad ?

Could it just have been because President Obama paved the way for reasonable leaders to formerly unreasonable constituencies ?

• 12 99ts
      November 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Pierce on his “occasional pope”

“Okay, right off the top, any time this guy wants space on the blog, it’s his. I keep waiting for him to give me the Latin for “zombie-eyed granny starver.””

Read more: Pope Denounces Trickle Down Economics – Your Occasional Pope

November 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm

logan’s ‘leave of absence’ ; disgusting dinesh running away with his tweet tacked to his tail; hackperin’s death panels ‘clarification’ – Bit by bit ‘journos’ are being held accountable. Once these tools are made to be afraid of left as they are of wingers, a big battle is won.

3. 15 Bill R.
    November 26, 2013 at 7:07 pm

The pushback that regular folk like us give these idiots matters.

November 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Indeed. I noticed that even Ron Fournier spent quite a bit of time this morning trying to defend his earlier, moronic tweet about PBO pardoning more turkeys than humans. Push back DOES work.

4. November 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Goodness and a true heart will win the day even if it takes time

November 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I see all the kool kids got the same memo – now chris hayes is saying how turkey pardon must look bizarre to other countries. Right, we, rest of the world’ers, really think a fleeting 15 minutes harmless event is bizarre unlike the a small buncha congress critters holding the world economy at ransom, bomb, bomb, iran etc.

November 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm

ROTFLMAO! Little Chris apparently was born yesterday so he hasn’t yet learned that each country has its own set of “bizzare” but relatively harmless traditions at various times of the year.

• 23 amk for obama
        November 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

egg.sack.lee. Looks like all these privileged idjits got this ‘great idea’ while having a group bhang party.

6. 24 carla4obama
    November 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Full Roger Ebert quote that President made reference in his speech today in California.
    “Kindness’ covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.”

• November 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked that guy, even though some of his movie reviews had me scratching my head.

• November 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I loved Roger Ebert.

He had the biggest heart of any “elite” I’ve read.

That’s really what’s missing in journalism today.

Unfortunately, the conservative clown show will continue, enabled by their co-conspirators, the MSM and the feckless emoprogs that undermine any progress at all.

• 27 utaustinliberal
      November 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Fantastic quote. When Roger Ebert was alive, his Twitter feed made me like him even more. He was a joy during the 2012 election and I was happy that he got to witness President Obama winning re-election because he was rooting for him hard.

• 28 dotster3
      November 26, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for this—-I wondered about the Ebert quote. And it is so true. “Try to contribute joy to the world”—–it’s the whole deal.

• 29 Obama Grandmama
      November 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sort of like “Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.”

November 27, 2013 at 1:57 am

carla4obama – Thanks for sharing this. My friend and I were just discussing the President’s “kindness” reference again, in a phone chat earlier this evening. That was my takeaway from the entire speech – and shows once again what kind of a man our dear President is (which we already knew).

November 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Sasha was tiny back then! Not so much any more :)

November 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Don’t you just want to give these women a big squeeze?? :)

• 43 99ts
      November 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

This is quite my favorite

1.) Your children can have as much soda and cookies as they please. This is grandma’s house for goodness sakes.

November 26, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Nasdaq closes above 4,000 for first time in 13 years What’s he doing making all that money for people?

12. 46 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm
  13. 47 No Child Left Behind
    November 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I always enjoy your essays, LL.

Thanks for this great post.

November 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm
  15. 51 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm
  16. 52 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  17. 54 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm
      November 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

DAMN…talk about bizarre obsession…”national and global journalism?” Is McClatchy deriving some odd sensual gratification from the mere mention of PBO’s name? Could that explain it?

19. November 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

ATTN MSM.

I know you’re getting ready for another long weekend with much gluttony and liquor, but how about reporting on this?

20. November 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Well done, as always, LL.

“But the fact that he felt it necessary to delete his tweets does speak to something in the air. Perhaps we’re finally establishing the broad parameters for a civilized discussion in the world’s oldest democracy. It won’t come a moment too soon.”

True.

Perhaps they can start by groking the fact that the bytes you launch into the intertubes are perpetual.

November 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm
      November 26, 2013 at 8:03 pm

GGGGRRRRRR. They should have never said a GD THING about her hair! What do they want now? Praise for doing something they never should have said in the first place? What happened to “all God’s children?” What fucking hypocrites.

• November 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Sorry to be a concern troll, but it’s a private school.

Like it or not, private enterprises can set whatever they see fit.

Uniforms, no facial hair for young men, gunny sacks for girls, whatever.

Just can’t get enraged over a private school establishing arbitrary rules.

There are so many other things to be enraged about (e.g., our hapless media who are now obviously fabricating whatever they report, including PBO’s “approval” ratings).

November 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Just a guess on my part…but I’m guessing that when she first entered that school that she looked like she does. As per the story, there is no mention in the rule book of anything against “big hair”…

“We are not asking her to put products in her hair or to cut her hair,” read a statement sent to Local 6. “We are asking her to style her hair within the guidelines according to the school handbook.”

The handbook does not cite large or frizzy hair, noting only, “Mohawks, shaved signs, rat tails, etc.”

I agree with you about it being private and doing whatever they choose to do….my argument is that this looks an “after the fact” argument. Doesn’t sit well with me, is all. This young girl already said that she doesn’t fit in….I find something terribly wrong with this.

• 69 99ts
        November 26, 2013 at 9:35 pm

By my read it only became an issue when other students started bullying her. Then, of course it was all the fault of the victim. Let’s look for a school rule that forced the other children to be bullies.

When private schools quote rules that do not cover the issue at hand, I don’t see it as their “right”.

• 70 nospin
        November 27, 2013 at 8:15 am

according to the private school’s rules, she didn’t break any of the rules. They figured the solution for the child to stop being bullied was to get rid of her hair. None of the other girls have to cut their hair just her because it is different.

That is bullshit.

• November 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,
      I just to say that I read the Obama Diary every single day. That’s right, I am a lurker mainly. But, I wanted to comment because I saw that you had my daughter’s story up. I appreciate the varying comments on this subject, even the ones that are not necessarily supporting our position. It’s something that is cause for debate, and I welcome it. So, I thank you all.

23. November 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm
  24. 73 dotster3
    November 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I am loathe to cite polls, but this one, indicating that Americans approve Iran deal by a 2 to 1 margin, will likely shut down the anguished voices of the “loyal opposition” —-watch the increasing silence.

• November 26, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Don’t expect to hear much of anything from the MSM for the next couple of weeks.

Between now and Dec 9 (when the Senate resumes), it will mostly be whatever the echo-chamber figures is the right thing to criticize this Administration about.

Think MSM is now obsessing about TIME’s person of the year, doing their best to have it awarded to this year’s northeast white male, Edward Snowden — if GG or Pierre Omidyar wins I will officially throw up.

November 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Is there hope that the ugly, hateful era of the angry white male might come to an end in the United States?
    Michael Kimmel, author of Angry White Men: American Masculinity at the End of an Era, believes that the incendiary rage of many resentful white males will ultimately succumb to an altered cultural context.
    “Angry white men rage for our attention, yes, but that era of assumed male entitlement to all the positions of power and wealth is coming to an end.” Kimmel told Truthout. “Men can be dragged kicking and screaming into that inevitable future, or we can accept it and ask what it means for us.”

November 26, 2013 at 8:12 pm

You talk about the transition from anxiety to explosive emotional anger among the actual and perceived growing loss of entitlement and privilege among white males. You use the phrase, “the cultural construction of aggrieved entitlement.” Does that translate to, “white males are mad as hell that women and minorities aren’t kept in their place anymore by white men, and the white men are losing their jobs and patriarchal status as a result”?
      Nicely put! Some white males are mad as hell not that minorities or gays or women aren’t “kept in their place” anymore, but more that they feel that “they” are taking places that were “rightfully ours.” Race (being white) and gender (being men) are the frameworks they use to describe what I think is actually a phenomenon that has more to do with class.

26. 79 Vicki
    November 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

LL, This post definitely gets the zeitgeist. The RW pundits are dizzy and reeling on the ropes. They don’t know where to turn. Perfect!!
    Latest blow is the poll about Iran agreement. It must be dawning on even the dimmest of them that it doesn’t matter what the Republicans say.

They will get louder and louder and matter less and less for a while longer.

Thanks to LL for this great article and to zizi for her last post on the arrogant dopes who think their opinions about our glorious First Lady matter to anyone but the brain-damaged haters.

27. 80 Jeff
    November 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Been working on a lot of writing, especially my poetry and story writing. Here’s something I wanted to share.

I sit upon my chair, looking at the screen of a great man who few seem to see.

A man of great worth, and of passion with a purpose that many can fathom but others still try to twist.

Flies and maggots try to twist a great mans worth, for what else can they do but twist things for their gain.

The people with a pig for an emblem and an ugliness that proceeds their rigid ways.

I sit upon this chair and feel like dying as the man I hold close to my heart is ridiculed on tv by the
    helplessly ignorant.

November 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Another MUST READ. NeoCons ain’t got shit.

The Middle East warmly welcomes Iran Deal, sees it as Step toward Denuclearizing Israel

• 84 Vicki
      November 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Yes, df. Random reporting also says Israeli military welcomes deal as does the left parts of Israeli government led by Yair Lapid and Tzivi Lipni.
      Netanyahoo and our lunatic rightwingers pretty much standiing alone.

November 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yes, he is standing alone. I just hope that he doesn’t make more of a fool of himself than he already is.

November 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    November 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm
  33. 90 purpleshoesla
    November 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

what ho TOD peeps! Here I am chillin on Amtrak as it takes me to San Diego for Turkey Day, catching up on the day here at TOD. Bliss! And to think if Mittens had been elected, he would have gotten rid of Amtrak along with Planned Parenthood! Thankful for you all and our First Family. #WhatIAmThankfulFor! Gobble Gobble! Happy Thanksgiving!

34. 92 Jovie
    November 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Again , china claimed 2 islands that threaten Japan security. US has flown 2 B-52h bombers over area. Japan warships and US carrier group speeding toward area.
    China has Carrier group also headed toward area.
    This is like Cuban missile crisis and it’s barely being covered by MSM.
    All they care about is a bad poll and obamacare.
    Odd!

35. November 26, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Yep, You nailed it LL. Disgraced Dinesh had the gall to rear his ugly mug. It means he’s looking for a comeback onto the grift circuit. That’s the wingnut strategy du jour. Sick sick sick. Sicker still is that a sizable chunk of this country sides with these charlatans

36. 95 Nena20409
    November 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

A well thought out piece LL. Thank you.

November 27, 2013 at 2:07 am

LL – If not too late for you to see this, I thank you for this MASTERPIECE to follow zizi’s own MASTERPIECE. Nice reading tonight!