Nov

Some cool jazz to start a warm Thanksgiving

And the holidays have begun! Some music to get them started.

Charlie Parker and Coleman Hawkins – Improvisation

Dizzy Gillespie with Arturo Sandoval – Night in Tunisia

John Coltrane – My Favorite Things

Branford Marsalis - In The Crease

Harry Connick Jr – Sweet Georgia Brown

Thelonius Monk – Epistrophy

May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving and/or Hanukkah. Chat away!

39 Responses to “Some cool jazz to start a warm Thanksgiving”

November 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Thanks, LL!

2. 11 Jeff
    November 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Hey everyone… I talked to Iranian girl today. Helped me with some homework. Learned a lot more about her culture and in truth it fascinates me. I still worry about offending her as I told her today that I thought women made great judges when she informed me that women aren’t allowed to be judges in Iran. She seemed interested at my statement and a little confused.

• 12 globalcitizenlinda
      November 28, 2013 at 12:16 am

when one first moves to a new country, a number of things look & sound very different;

but in most cases, people want to learn about others – that is one of the reasons they may have relocated in the first place;

so my tip would be for you to just provide facts about the issues (e.g. in this case give her some examples of prominent judges who you know – like those on the US Supreme Court & explain WHY their presence has made a difference in the decisions that affect the nation for generations);

if you can, don’t provide information in a judgmental way, just explain the differences and ask if there are any decisions in Iran where she believes a woman’s voice as judge could make a different outcome);

in summary, use the opportunity as a mutually-beneficial learning experience (by asking how the things are done)

with time, she can learn more and you will learn more from her if she believes you are not talking down to her – like PBO says, mutual respect is key

3. 14 Joy
    November 28, 2013 at 12:03 am

Absolutely magnificent PBO and his daughters! The girls are gorgeous as ever, growing up so fast. :-)

4. 16 globalcitizenlinda
    November 28, 2013 at 12:04 am

Ms. Chips,

someone using the tweeter handle @paulcarr sent out a photo of GG with an interesting comment – didn’t want to bring it here but if you have time, take a peek at the that person’s TL

5. 17 forus50
    November 28, 2013 at 12:09 am

Happy Thanksgiving LL and everyone!!! I like the cool jazz ~
    Oh and thanks to WOMEN, our country doesn’t look like this!

6. 20 Lynn
    November 28, 2013 at 12:09 am

LL you are FIERCE! Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Coltrane Smoking tunes!

7. 21 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 28, 2013 at 12:42 am

@LL: YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m finally around for one of your JAZZ posts! Thanks for this wonderful gift!

8. 22 mtmarilyn
    November 28, 2013 at 12:57 am

Oh, LL thanks for the music to help me finish my pies. I so love jazz.

I will check in tomorrow but I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and a Happy Hanukkah.

9. November 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

To avoid having my comment stuck awaiting a moderator, am going to do it in a series … as to deliver a couple of messages … firstly to express enormous gratitude to Senator Reid ….

• November 28, 2013 at 2:09 am

… and then to inform scum of just how odious he is ….

• November 28, 2013 at 2:15 am

… and then to inform an even more odious creature of how ridiculous he is ….

As all of you know, it is now (as it has been for the past decade +) entirely OUR responsibility as citizens in a democracy we cherish to BE THE MEDIA in every way we possibly can – from conversing with family, friends, colleagues, …. whomever. We are fortunate to have the Internet and tools like Twitter, for sure. But, no matter what, it is each of us being well informed and willing to engage and challenge lies, the misinformed, … whomever … that is our solemn duty as Citizens of a Democracy.

Wishing all of you a joyous Thanksgiving celebration and, for all our Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah!!

November 28, 2013 at 8:39 am

Thank you Bobfr for telling that clowns like it is. Taegen Goddard or anyone else are made to watch POTUS pardon a turkey.

November 28, 2013 at 8:47 am

So I guess what the Republicans Senators were doing were just wonderful. In history only 86 filibuster of all Presidents nominees, till these radical Republicans played politics, made agreements with the other side and didn’t keep the agreements, so that is wonderful for the Senate according to Jason Rapert. I disagree with Rapert, the real problem in the Senate and House are the Republicans who can deal with the fact that America elected Barack Obama President twice.

November 28, 2013 at 8:51 am

If some Republican were President, and they were in control of the Senate and the Democrats were doing what these Republicans have been doing since Barack Obama became President,, what would the Republicans do?

November 28, 2013 at 2:11 am

11. 30 Lana
    November 28, 2013 at 2:22 am

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Happy Hanukkah I’m thankful, like so many others, to be living in the time of President Barack Obama and in the comforting atmosphere of this site. Sometimes even here is difficult for me, but I always come back! Peace.

12. 31 sheinfrance
    November 28, 2013 at 2:54 am

I would like to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving and Hannukah . Thanks again to Chips and everybody for making this a place to feel safe about your wonderful President.

13. 32 canadabarb4obama
    November 28, 2013 at 3:58 am

I give thanks today, for all of you. I wish you and your families a wonderful Thanksgiving. So grateful to share this “Time of Obama”.

November 28, 2013 at 6:06 am

15. 34 Anjo
    November 28, 2013 at 6:08 am

To all those celebrating today HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING, in all things be thankful, no matter the situation always be grateful. GB love your wonderful Caribbean sounding Thanksgiving menu, enjoy, enjoy, as we say here, ‘it was so good I had to lick the plate” Happy Chanukkah

16. 35 Anjo
    November 28, 2013 at 6:11 am

Happy Hanukkah I think not Channukah, have to google this stuff. Apologies no offense intended

• 36 57andfemale
      November 28, 2013 at 7:11 am

‘Chanukah’ was the only spelling until the 60’s when it was simplified phonetically. ‘Chanukah’ is still the spelling I prefer that feels more authentic to me.

I am not a practicing Jew anymore, but I light my Chanukah candles using the menorah my mother bought almost 60 years ago. Most years, it is Chanukah candles and our enormous Christmas tree. This year it’s the menorah and Thanksgiving turkey. Downright weird.

Happy Thanksgiving and Chanukah, everyone.

17. November 28, 2013 at 8:01 am

G’morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

18. 39 globalcitizenlinda