Dec

Have we gotten any better?

Channing Kennedy unearthed a little tidbit from 1982, in which President Ronald Reagan’s spokesperson Larry Speakes is asked about the disease which had been recently declared an epidemic by the CDC: AIDS. Amid much laughter from Mr. Speakes and the White House Press Corps, all parties participate in a callous back and forth on what the Reagan Administration’s position was on the new disease.

One part of the dialogue stuck out to me:

Q: Does the President, does anybody in the White House know about this epidemic, Larry?
MR. SPEAKES: I don’t think so. I don’t think there’s been any—
Q: Nobody knows?
MR. SPEAKES: There has been no personal experience here, Lester.
Q: No, I mean, I thought you were keeping—
MR. SPEAKES: I checked thoroughly with Dr. Ruge this morning and he’s had no—(laughter)—no patients suffering from AIDS or whatever it is.

“There has been no personal experience here.”

No one in the White House, or among the White House Press Corps, knew anyone who was afflicted with AIDS. It hadn’t touched them. And the concerns of a despised minority reaping what they had sown were not their concerns.

Of course, I’m not saying that at 13 years old I was a paragon of tolerance and gay-friendliness. I was 13, and quite familiar with dropping the f-word when trash talking with my friends. But, at 13, I was a consumer of news, and AIDS stories dominated both locally in New York and nationally. I don’t remember participating in the fear stoked by the media; I do remember looking with pity upon those who were handed a death sentence. Again, I was 13 and part of the same homophobic culture of the time. And yet, flawed as I was, I could screw up more compassion for the afflicted than the good and great in the briefing room at the White House.

Barack Obama often refers to “expanding the circle of our concern”. What this missive from our recent history indicates is that doing so is not only difficult, but often unthinkable, unthinkable to the point where it’s a given that a large portion of our fellow-citizens are beyond our regard.

Look at the debates over the Affordable Care Act. It is a perfect example of expanding our circle of concern. Too many Americans were going bankrupt due to medical bills, even with insurance. Too many Americans were left out of the healthcare system due to lack of insurance. The ACA is a step in the direction of addressing those glaring fissures in the social fabric.

Yet. Many of those on the other side of the aisle still see those fissure as not the role of government or society to rectify. Erick Erickson, bete noire of the Right, is urging conservatives to not allow the law to be fixed. While Democrats want to keep and improve the law, Erickson and his allies want the law to fail. Oh, they bray about the idea that it’s a flawed piece of legislation. As Erickson says: “Conservatives need to keep their focus on the law overall. The website is a reflection of a terrible law. The law is causing millions to lose insurance, millions more to pay more for insurance, and the best the Democrats can do is claim it’d work well if the GOP didn’t think nasty thoughts about it.” Of course, this is a law which is the greatest expansion of Medicaid in the nation’s history. This is a law which does away with pre-existing conditions, and lifetime caps. This is a a law which allows parents to keep their children on their policies until age 26. When Erickson and his ilk say “the law is bad”, never forget that what they mean is that those provisions are bad as well. Which is something with which most Americans disagree. People like Erickson have no concern for the uninsured, the underinsured, those who have to choose between their homes and treating an illness. The paucity of their compassion speaks volumes as to their withered ideology. Democrats are perfectly willing to admit the ACA needs improvement; so did Social Security; so did Medicare. But those who oppose Obamacare also oppose Social Security, and Medicare, and Medicaid, and any hint of a state which strives to take care of the commonwealth. Their circle of concern extends solely to those they know, and even then that’s doubtful.

To the extent that an ideology cannot extend concern to soldiers on food stamps, it is a failed ideology.

To the extent that an ideology wants to send those brought here as children to their “home countries”, it is a failed ideology.

To the extent that an ideology wants to throw the health of a population onto the tender mercies of a mercenary insurance industry, it is a failed ideology.

To the extent that an ideology lionizes the rich and demonizes the poor, it is a failed and dastardly ideology.

If our opponents cannot extend their circle of concern, they will keep repeating the same mistakes.

If we cannot extend our circle of concern, we too will repeat the same mistakes.

I belong to no religion, but the teachings of the sages inform my life. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is not a platitude. It is, essentially, the only way to lead a human life. Anything other than that is a life which promises nothing but strife and discord. Anything other than that is a life which will deliver disappointment and resentment.

We can “cluck cluck” at the myopia evident in that long-ago briefing at the White House. We say: “Oh, we’ve advanced so far from that.” Perhaps some of us have. But as the battles of the past five years have shown, too many of us have not.

Have we gotten better? For many of us, yes. For many of us, no. And thus the fight continues.

151 Responses to “Have we gotten any better?”

1. December 3, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you sooooo much LL, making a cup of coffee, then settling down to read!

• December 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Congrats Chipsticks, how do you do it? ;) Have you ever told anyone on the blog why your user name is Chipsticks? I have a fascination with names. Mine are so… Predictable.

• December 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I should have chosen Cheesy Puffs, Carol, but because I could think of nothing better at the time, and assumed the blog would die after a week, I opted for:

:oops:

• December 3, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Are you trying to pull a fast one on me Chipsticks? ? ? That is funny. I didn’t know those existed. When Gov. Hickenlooper of CO mentioned Goldfish after the marijuana bill passed I was still commenting on HuffPo. I mentioned I knew about brownies, but did people really swallow goldfish? Wow, did it feel dumb. But I did get some good brownie recipes from the exchange. It was before Arrianna sold out. I’ve got a prize for you Chips. I’ll be back in about ten minutes. Yes, it takes me that long to go between here and twitter. But that will change in a few weeks.
          Oh, I stay away from the aisle those are in.

2. 15 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

Yes if One has a heart, can think and Cares for Fellow Citizens.

No is ideology, hatred or profits at all costs are your primary beliefs.

3. 16 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Now that I have tried to answer the question posed by LL’s post……Let me now go back and read the Text and meat of the Post.

4. December 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hi just finished Rise and shine lots of information

December 3, 2013 at 11:51 am

The Fast4Families holding a live gathering – of course, little to no mainstream media coverage…

6. 20 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 11:52 am

“The struggle of life is to become better than what we were, to become other than what we started out as. It is a struggle which never ends. The moment we become satisfied, we become like Erick Erickson, shut off to the world, withered into a shell of our own making.”

Indeed. Thanks LL.

December 3, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • 22 Nena20409
      December 3, 2013 at 11:58 am

The Media chased after Teabaggers everywhere, but for these brave Fast for Families, the national media has been a joke.

I doubt very much that the Hispanic Media is ignoring this story. Like the election in Nov 2012….the surprise result was on those who ignored the Polls. This story is HUGE and the media is failing US again.

• 23 utaustinliberal
      December 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Fantastic!

8. 24 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 11:53 am

Gold Medal to Danny’s Mom ;)

Congrats Danny. As a Coach to Mom, you did Great :)

• December 3, 2013 at 11:56 am

Actually, that’s true Nena – since Danny arrived, it’s been first-a-rama!

• 26 57andfemale
        December 3, 2013 at 12:06 pm

That’s because Danny makes sure you’re up and functioning when he wants you to be up and functioning.

Puppy Tyrant, for sure.

• December 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm

You know puppies 57. ;)

• 28 57andfemale
            December 4, 2013 at 11:50 am

I do indeed.

• December 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm

How is your area Animal Shelter doing? Are they getting on their feet again? There are a few Chiwawa mix puppies soon to be ready for adoption at HUA.ORG. I think I want Mayflower. What do you know about Chiwawas? I can’t spell. Please help. ;)

• 30 57andfemale
                December 4, 2013 at 5:42 pm

The shelter that the bus went through is adopting animals out of a Petsmart that is close to their original location. They are always looking for foster homes – it’s been a heartbreaking struggle. Since these animals (mainly dogs) come from an intake center in Southern Illinois after being rescued from terrible conditions, we’re all very heartened that they are at least functioning. They are collecting money to build their own facility.

They are selling calendars as a fundraiser. I gave a lot as gifts last year and I’ve ordered a dozen for this year. Anyone interested in helping out a no-kill shelter that truly does the Lord’s work and has been devastated by a school bus plowing into their facility, the website is: http://www.wrightwayanimalrescue.com.

If you have allergies, chihuahuas are highly allergic. They can be high strung and a little noisy. They have unique personalities that appeal to particular people. My late sister-in-law adopted chihuahuas and absolutely loved them. Meeting the dog and going with your gut – that’s what has always worked for me.

I didn’t see Mayflower in my chihuahua search but I could have just missed him/her. There were way too many adorable dogs there. I’d be on my way to camp with Carol Mae and come home with a brood (as if I don’t have a brood right now).

Little dogs are easy to care for, clean up after. and the older you are, you do much better with a smaller dog. Any dog does better with exercise (I learned that – finally). Some of our older rescues were just happy to have a home and a yard and had no interest in walking the streets, but I see mentally healthier dogs when they have a daily walk.

Keep me posted.

• December 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Oh, it was actually other family members suggesting I needed a dog. We have two, big and little and hopefully will have then at least 5+ years. They are five and four. The big guy is a golden rescue and the little black guy I just call my pound puppy, Sammy. The Vet thinks he’s Spaniel because of his cute face and he has the hair of a lab. He’s only forty lbs. And our golden Bear is eighty lbs.
                  Plus we now have three cats.

Thanks for the link to the website. So that’s how you spell Chihuahua? I knew, but my brain just went blank. ;)
                  They might not be on the Website yet. They posted them on FB. HUA took in the mother and she had the puppies there. They will be ready in a week or two. They are a mix, but I don’t know what with. They have kind of long hair. I’ll find a pic on FB and tweet it to you. ;)

• 32 57andfemale
                    December 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

You are certainly an experienced pet person! You didn’t need any advice from me. Although 40 pounds is not ‘small’ in my world!

HUA sounds like a wonderful organization, rescuing so many pets from the damn puppy mills. My sweet Pearl was a puppy mill breeder – we adopted her two years ago when she was 7 years old. Reading the HUA descriptions, we are so blessed that she was so resilient, never knowing love before Wright Way took her in, fostered her for a month and then put her up for adoption. You should see that little, almost bald yorkie take on her brothers and play and play and play. The shelter said she’d be happy living in someone’s lap. I wanted more for her. I wanted her to feel loved, safe and happy in every corner of the house and with everyone in it. She has exceeded my expectations. Seeing her expect affection, sitting on my manly husband’s lap – it’s truly a sight to behold. She is a joy.

It’s a special blessing to adopt these dogs that need us. I have found more inside myself than I ever dreamed possible, because of these dogs.

• December 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Oh, should I now call you 61? ;) Don’t tell anyone, but I am too! ;)
                      You are a blessing for saving your dear Yorkie. Poor thing, seven years. It’s great when husband and wife share the joy. We’ve always had a dog and a cat except for maybe a year or two, but when we became empty nesters, we opened our nest. We have so many treasured memories. Pets give so much back. Thanks for what you do.

• 34 57andfemale
                      December 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m 63, actually. Who knew I would get hooked on the internet when I found the blogosphere in 2007 as I became a Barack Obama supporter. ’57 and Female’ was in answer to the smuggness of Hillary and her campaign, as if they had a lock on the older female vote.

I didn’t think it made sense to change my username every year. And it wasn’t until my birthday this year that someone here at TOD assumed that ’57′ referred to my birthday, May 7. What a big ‘duh!’ that was!

• December 5, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Is your birthday May 7? Mine is May 4, that would be a coincidence. I was for Barack, ;) from his speech in ’84 on. Sorta like “He had me at Hello!” I remember the way the media covered him then too, he won only because the white R dropped out because of some scandal and that R Black man I refuse to mention was a very, very, very bad candidate. Never wanted Hillary either, tired of two Bush’s and I didn’t want to see Bill waste her time in office.

• 36 57andfemale
                      December 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

May 7 is my birthday. I always loved PBO and loved that he stood up against the stupid Iraq war when it was unpopular to do so, particularly at the beginning of his political career. I did not anticipate however that he would get to the Presidency this fast. I soured on Hillary early when I saw the Clintons’ true colors in their low rent, low class and below-the-belt attacks on him, so from late 2007 he was ‘my guy’. I also thought that the Clintons had had their chance and Hillary should have been gracious and allowed young energy to take its place, but that would have required that she check her ego. Fat chance for that.

• December 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

We think a lot alike. I want someone vibrant I can get behind, not Hillary. Will not put out any effort for her. WY Dems in our county were very enthusiastic about then Sen. Obama and still were in 2008. We made many calls to Colorado starting in July. A few of us got the gang rolling for logistics in June. Our little gang always came in first of the groups from WY. Yeah. Our group leader, Donna, won the Nellie Ross Award too. So happy for her. She worked so hard. Once only three of us, me hubby and Donna. ;) But we had fun.

• 38 57andfemale
                      December 6, 2013 at 5:50 pm

God bless you for everything you do.

• December 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm

TY. . . Gone all day. My feet are freezing just from going from the garage to house. Brrrrrrrr. ;) my fingers need to thaw out too.

• December 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Did I say the war was my big deal too? I knew when Rumsfeld and Franks opened their mouths we were going to Iraq and their intentional screw up at Torah Bora. Hillary knew better. I so miss Paul Wellstone. Remember how the scum berated the way Minnesotans for the way they celebrated his life? Doing the same with Mandela I’m sure.

• 41 57andfemale
                      December 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm

That was a despicable display. And yet mild to what PBO has had to endure.

I’m going to say something out loud because I can say it to you, Carol: if the Clintons had not opened that awful door, the Republicans never would have treated PBO this badly. I remember a McCain staffer saying that they didn’t know how to run against this guy – there were still boundaries that were respected. But when a Democratic primary challenger, and one who had been in the White House, started with the low-crawling racist and intellectual insults, Republicans rammed their feet right through that door.

Hey, I get it that derangement syndrome started with the GOP’s hatred of the Clintons. But the lines they have cross would not have happened if the Clintons hadn’t opened the door.

• December 6, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Yes, I agree. I’ll talk more later when I thaw out, but you are right. The black guy he was running against for Senate and the other two guys still yapping maybe others keep it open too. It wasn’t until I got an iPad that I could follow news so closely and especially TOD. I only watched MSNBC, at least there was Keith O. then. I hope you are stating warm.

• 43 57andfemale
                December 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I had to get off that site. It’s so heartbreaking and these dogs are so beautiful, so worthy of love.

• December 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm

It’s a great place though. It’s huge. They help the working poor with medical care for a long beloved dog or cat. It’s not cheap to adopt from there either. Lots of people support a buddy. One of the pets that can’t be adopted or until they get adopted. They even hold vigils to make sure a puppy mill owner gets their license taken away. They have gift wrapping services set up all over in bigger cities. It seems like a well-run place. They have acres for the big dogs to run and a lot of kind hearted volunteers. It is also no-kill. They have several cats and dogs that are permanent residents for one reason or another but I’ve followed them for over a year now and they have a high adoption rate. They’re always getting permission to get puppy mill dogs from SD and Nebraska. Another states too I think like Iowa. But they will ship anywhere.

I just ordered a calendar from your neighborhood adoption center for my son.
                  Peace. Carol

• 45 57andfemale
                    December 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thank you so much for ordering a calendar. I am so grateful. You are a treasure!

• December 5, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You’re very welcome. The least I could do. Did you change your twitter name too or is it still @57andfemale?

• 47 57andfemale
                      December 5, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’m ‘FlowerInFaith’ on Twitter. I did not want to join twitter. I couldn’t imagine thinking in 140 characters. Tally hounded me like a dog. Since we’re both in theater (or at least I used to be in a former life) and both have backgrounds in Shakespeare I told her that if she could come up with a Shakespeare reference with ‘Faith’ in it (my first name), I’d join twitter.

That little minx had about 15 quotes in about 5 minutes. ‘Flower In Faith’ was from Romeo & Juliet, so that’s my twitter name.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Oh, now I remember. I’m losing my memory. Tally is very good.

• 49 57andfemale
                      December 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

By the way, CarolMae, Wright Way has found at least a temporary home location. A little farther away in the suburbs than they were before, but I am so glad they have a nice, warm place to set up shop again.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm

That’s wonderful! Is it cold there? It’s very cold here.

• 51 57andfemale
                      December 6, 2013 at 11:41 am

Very cold this morning. Will barely make it out of the teens today. Of course, we’ll have colder weather as the winter wears on. I prefer cold and dry, since I hate driving in bad weather. I do, of course, love snow if I can watch it from my window while wrapping Christmas gifts or cuddling with Hubby and the puppies under a blanket.

I have an existential question: how is it that no matter how large or how many blankets you have on the sofa or the bed, the dogs get them all?

• December 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Because dogs rule! :lol: Fed Ex man said it was -17 . Double brrr now. We have dry cold. Easier to take, but we want moisture.

December 3, 2013 at 11:56 am

So Gutierrez finally shows up. Also, I’m glad to see Rev Al, Rep Lewis, Nancy Pelosi, and other Dems and community activists lending themselves to this important movement/cause.

10. December 3, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks for posting for me, Chiparoo!

• December 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thank yoooooooou LibLibarooooooo!!!! Another sublime piece.

“The paucity of their compassion speaks volumes as to their withered ideology. Democrats are perfectly willing to admit the ACA needs improvement; so did Social Security; so did Medicare. But those who oppose Obamacare also oppose Social Security, and Medicare, and Medicaid, and any hint of a state which strives to take care of the commonwealth. Their circle of concern extends solely to those they know, and even then that’s doubtful.”

You, Sir, have magic in your typing fingers.

• December 3, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Of course, Spandan crossposted this on TPV, and one of the commenters had this to say:

“For the RWNJs, lack of empathy is a feature, not a bug. They believe it’s the American and the Christian way, and they will insist that “God helps those who help themselves” is a quote from the Bible.”

11. 65 57andfemale
    December 3, 2013 at 11:58 am

And let’s have a conversation about Presidents who ‘lie’: I remember Reagan giving a huge number of the government expenditures on ‘AIDS research’. He lumped in everything that was being spent on cancer research and called it ‘AIDS research’. That’s what I call a LIE.

12. 66 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Fans of economic policy may recall that during one of the many recent debt ceiling showdowns, the idea to mint a trillion-dollar platinum coin came to the fore. It turns out that the Obama administration took the idea seriously enough to have the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel draft memos pertaining to its legality, a fact belied by the White House’s out-of-hand dismissal of the option in January.

In response to the Huffington Post’s Freedom of Information Act request, the OLC confirmed that memos about the legality of minting a high-value platinum coin had been written since Obama took office, but declared them “not appropriate for discretionary release.” HuffPost filed the FOIA request during this fall’s debt ceiling battle.

December 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    December 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm
  15. 69 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Excellent piece, LL. No words.

16. December 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm
  17. December 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Oh. My. God.

A University of Alabama football fan allegedly shot and killed a fellow fan on Saturday after the team’s dramatic loss to bitter in-state rival Auburn.

Adrian Laroze Briskey, 28, was charged with murder for allegedly fatally shooting Michelle Shepherd, 36, in a Hoover, Ala. parking lot. According to the victim’s sister, Briskey was incensed that Shepherd was taking Alabama’s loss in stride.

Story here: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/woman-allegedly-killed-for-not-being-mad-enough-about-alabama-loss

18. 76 GGail
    December 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family. Hope Danny’s out of the “dog house” today for killing the funky rubber Chicken :-)

LL, thanks for this stirring and thought provoking piece. I was astounded when I read how the WHPC & Reagan folks behaved in the beginning of the AIDS awareness here in the United States. Fear exhibits itself in various ways, mean nervous laughter is one way.

UT, great R&S!

Because I’ve been following the Fast4Families here on TOD, it didn’t connect that I’ve not heard a word about it on local or national news. What a Shame! We must send information to our local stations. I’m glad to see Rev Al there lending support. I’m sure he will speak on it if he hasn’t already.

I’m so glad that I have this wonderful site to turn to for the Truth!

19. 82 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm

239 days that TBGOPers in Congress okayed Vacations in 2013….365 days for an average of $174K annually with Traveling expenses paid and about a handful living in their DC Offices Housing Free?

Which private company would pay any worker for this Fleecing Gig?

December 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm

This may explain why PBO decided to give him the interview – to reach as wide an audience as possible.

December 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm
  22. 94 japa21
    December 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Yes, I know there is a typo, but the hell with it, it stays

23. 95 japa21
    December 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm
  24. 99 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Sad.

Judge: Detroit is eligible for Chapter 9.

Truly sad. NY was not allowed to fold.

• 100 Linda
      December 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Harold Ford Jr was just on NOW and said that both parties ” should ” have their 2016 Conventions in Detroit.

25. 101 japa21
    December 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

LL, another great piece. I like to believe we have gotten better, and in terms of AIDS we have. Yet as a society we still turn a blind eye to so many on the fringes of our world. And yes, the GOP would probably prefer that all those people just disappear. After all, their policies created the situations where many of those people were forced into their life status.

But, as you say, it ultimately comes down to empathy and some do and some don’t have that quality. And, sad to sqay, that includes some on the left as well.

December 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I loves me some Meeting Boy!

December 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I look forward to PBO and Pope Francis’ historic meeting. I don’t know when it will happen, but I’m hopeful that it will soon….

28. December 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Another extraordinary essay from our Resident Philosopher @Lib_Librarian…

“Many of those on the other side of the aisle still see those fissure as not the role of government or society to rectify”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would say that there are only some fixes that Gov can do…and that if they are not fixed by the government…they won’t be fixed!

29. 107 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  30. December 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Howdy all you O’s!!!! What another great getting up day in the TOD camp, heh?

It’ll be in the 50′s today and tomorrow in my neck of TODdytown. I s’pose I should release the reindeer and twinkly stuffs from the basement and get them out into the yard. There’re the wreaths to be hung on the rafters, lights to dangle from the eaves, and the cones on the pines need some sprucing up. (Get it? Spruce up the pines…..lol I laugh at my own jokes). Off I go to bring Christmas curb appeal to the cookemom homestead.

Poor Rudolph, he’s gonna freeze his a$$ off when it drops to the 20′s by Thursday.

31. 109 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 1:23 pm

These drugs I am taking to quell pain from my pulled tooth, won’t let my eyes stay open. But it is a fight. I need to know what’s happening here and on Twitter. Sad, right? LOL!!

32. 114 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Lordy!

33. 118 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Website is a means to an End……Affordable Care Act is Not the Website…….Jay says.

34. 119 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Jay said, well over a Million visited the website on 12-02-13.

Demand is there. We owe it to Folks to make it better.

They want to know POTUS’s daily activities in ACA for the rest of the year…..Liasson……NPR or it is PBS?

December 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm

BREAKING: PBO to speak at 2:30PM ET!!!

36. 126 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Important to note the benefits for Folks not just the Websites issues.

Delivered and will delivered. ACA.

11:00 AM POTUS delivers economy speech, per Jay.

December 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE that synergy: Audra McDonald, a renowned singer, actress, Tony Award-winner as part of her civic duty gets word out on teenagers arrested on false accounts. Lawrence picks it up and follows-up on the story, and the rest is history!!!

More of this please.

38. 131 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Economy is Essential to US, and will Continue to emphasize….POTUS.

39. December 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm

LL, such inspired writing… thank you! How you were able to pull this together in the same time I searched and failed to find Danny and the severed chicken is to my great awe and shame. I bow, sir.

December 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I just love this. Danny clearly likes his new toy, no matter how tattered it is. Very heartwarming :)

41. 139 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm
  42. 140 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Jay We are going to focus on care, what are working not problems of the website which we have noted and are working on to help folks sign on for health insurance.

43. 141 Nena20409
    December 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Now Jonathan Karl is all about Iran and the P5+1

Questioning Jay on Menendez’s Fearmongering comments…..

3X on fearmongering comments……Jay said something that I didn’t hear.

44. 143 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

What’s left for GOP and its enablers now?

• 144 Nena20409
      December 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Take that and Smoke it Haters.

The Ed Henry Fox Nut Job was asking Jay If POTUS was going to allow Detroit to go Bankrupt when he had said previously that he would NOT? What an arse. The POTUS was talking about the Auto Industry.

45. 145 africa
    December 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    December 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Ms. Karma is making the rounds….and she’s got certain groups’ names and numbers….

47. 148 carolyn
    December 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm

So many riches on these last posts, I will have to take time to read and savor. But, I just want to bring a little tidbit on why I still teach…..when I’m supposed to be retired.
    In my Composition class this fall, we read the novel “Cry, the Beloved Country.” which takes place in South Africa in 1946, just before apartheid became the official law of the land. The students were assigned a research paper and a power point presentation over the paper to present to the class. I gave them a long list of possible subjects on So. Africa and segregation and Civil Rights in the U.S.
    One presentation in class today was on what led up to apartheid, and actually some of what happened during it. One thing the young man mentioned was that S.A. was banned from the Olympics in 1960 because of apartheid. Then, he looked up and said :”I find this rather ironic, as segregation was going on in the U.S. at that time….why weren’t we banned?” I thought this was a legitimate question…….segregation was still active in parts of the country legally…….the civil rights movement was struggling, as we all know.
    I was so glad to hear that he saw a connection, and to question why we didn’t suffer too for our policy. I had nothing to do with his questioning…..and I would never have thought at the start of the semester this particular young man would do so. I think some things have been jiggled around for them through this book and assignment.
    Their final assignment is a response paper to the novel. I’ll be interested in those.

48. 150 anniebella
    December 3, 2013 at 2:08 pm

So President Obama will be giving a interview to Chris Matthews Thursday.