Dec

Mandela: A Global Salute

Mourners gather to honor Nelson Mandela at an inter-faith service at the Grand Parade in Cape Town

Grand Parade, Cape Town

Pakistani schoolchildren hold lamps during a memorial tribute to Nelson Mandela, in Karachi

Pumla Cohen, a South African who has lived in New York since 1998, pauses at a candle lit vigil outside the South African Consulate in memory of Nelson Mandela

A man wears his carnival drum group “Batuqueiro do Nelson Mandela” shirt at Mandela shantytown in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Flowers and tributes lie at the base of the plinth bearing a bust of Nelson Mandela in central London

Joanna Vignola reacts as she lays flowers at the foot of the Nelson Mandela statue in Parliament Square in London

A condolence message is left by a mourner in remembrance of Nelson Mandela outside the Union Buildings, in Pretoria

Marseille’s football club supporters hold a banner reading “Farewell Mandela” before the start of the French L1 football match Olympique of Marseille versus Nantes at the Velodrome stadium in Marseille, southern France

Schoolchildren hold candles near a giant portrait of Nelson Mandela in Chennai, India

Manchester United players line up for a minute’s applause with the crowd standing to mark the life of former South African President Nelson Mandela

Galatasaray’s Didier Drogba from Ivory Coast during a Turkish super league match

Mourners gathered in front of the South African embassy to pay their respects to the memory of Nelson Mandela in Tehran, Iran

Mourners light candles in remembrance of Nelson Mandela outside the Union Buildings, in Pretoria, South Africa

European flags fly at half-staff to honor the memory of Nelson Mandela, at the European Commission headquarters in Brussels, Belgium

A couple embrace as they mourn at a shrine of flowers and candles outside the home of Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg

A couple comfort each other outside the house of Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg

Workers remove French flags from the front entrance of the Quai d’Orsay foreign affairs ministry adorned by a giant portrait of the late Nelson Mandela, in Paris, France

US flags fly at half-staff at the US Capitol in observance of the death of Nelson Mandela

Candles are placed in front of images of Nelson Mandela during a vigil by Palestinians and members of the African community in the Old City of Jerusalem

Young Indian school children hold candles and portrait of Nelson Mandela as they pay tribute to him on hearing of his death, at a school in Ahmadabad, India

110 Responses to “Mandela: A Global Salute”

1. 1 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:00 pm
  2. December 7, 2013 at 11:00 pm

In the spirit of all these images honoring one of the greatest of humans, I’ll offer a couple of comments about #EquitableOpportunity for ALL Americans

The #KOCHs and other plutocrats are actually no match for President Obama and any other politician who commits to #EquitableOpportunity for EVERY American.

Their greed has blinded them to the reality that the only base they have – white folk – other than for those in the top 2 or 3 percentile, they are literally grinding into poverty.

They have effectively transformed the divide from ‘race’ to ‘class’ as our President is now being even more blunt in enunciating, though, I must say, what is most remarkable to me is how he recognized this trend and began warning of its consequences to the stability of America, many years ago.

Demand #EquitableOpportunity and crystal clear commitments from ANY person running for ANY office – School Board to President and all in between.

Yes WE MUST

December 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Made it back at last! Phew!

• 8 MightyPamela
      December 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Hi VC!! Goodnight everyone! Another stellar day, another few boxes emptied and flattened, except those filled with good stuff to donate! But Hey! Just found out there is to be a holiday bazaar next week, and we residents are invited to sell off our good stuff (to each other, I presume!) for, like, money! To keep! Huh! Better try for that, lotsa wunnerfull stuff! wouldn’t mind maing a few bucks on it!

• December 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Good to know you and kitty are warm and settling in, MP! Thank you for updating us.

#FORWARD

December 7, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi, Pamela! Slow and sure wins the race, they say. I lift my hat to you; you have excellent stamina.

BTW I think I now understand your underhanded plot to get me moving, thus experiencing some empathy aches. Spurred on by your comments re downsizing, packing, etc I agreed a week and a half ago to prepare a couple of bosex for pick-up Dec. 8. Naturally I didn’t start to pack and weed out stuff until today and of course it took literally all day. So while you were emptying and flattening, and probably humming, I was sorting, sifting, packing, and lugging up the basement stairs.

December 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Such a sad little tale, VC. :)

December 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Nah, not really. :grin: I have 5 less bags of garbage to ‘worry’ about, one small area looking 1/2 presentable, and a room where you can see the keyboards. :grin: Somewhat encouraging, if I don’t focus on my lower back.

4. 15 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    December 7, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Hiya, Dudette, way to go, up top there! Can’t wave too high – aching all over from all my packing and sorting (which you couldn’t tell from all that’s left to be done).

How was your Saturday?

6. 28 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm

From the South African Embassy’s website

Book of Condolence and Vigils
    Members of the public are invited to sign a book of condolence honoring the memory of Nelson Mandela. The book will be located at the South African Embassy, 3051 Massachusetts Ave NW, and will be open daily for signing:
    6 December through 10 December: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm and 7:00pm – 8.00pm.
    12 December through 14 December: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.
    There will be a vigil each evening at the embassy between 7.00pm and 8.00pm through December 10, to which all are welcome.

7. 29 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Mourning Period Dates in South Africa

Key dates in the mourning period for former President Nelson Mandela announced by President Jacob Zuma:

Sunday, 8 December: National Day of Prayer and Reflection: all synagogues, temples, churches, mosques, etc.
    Tuesday, 10 December: Official memorial service: FNB Stadium, Johannesburg
    Wednesday, 11-Thursday, 12 December: Former President Mandela to lie in state: Union Buildings, Pretoria
    Sunday, 15 December : State Funeral for Former President Nelson Mandela: Qunu

8. 33 carolyn
    December 7, 2013 at 11:14 pm

What a difference one person can make in the history of a country. South Africa has come from being basically an outlaw nation, banned from the Olympics, to one whose leader’s death is mourned by the entire world. Goodness defeats evil, light conquers darkness…..

December 7, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Excellent pic obit. I doubt any other person would receive such a world-wide tribute.

Here is one from China.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

December 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm

And yes, he is revered here in India.

December 7, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Chips – These are special photos from around the world, which I, for one, would never have seen without your collecting ‘em! I know we all appreciate it.

12. 47 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Pics from South African Embassy in Paris

13. 48 LDS
    December 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Ms. Chips, this post is well worth the wait. Your -ish times are the bestest!
    Thank you.
    This chilly night has all of a sudden got me feeling warm inside.
    Okay, here comes the tears……again.
    I Best Man Holiday movie tonight. Cried like a baby. Laughed like a fool. So many emotions this week. Glad to be alive.
    Welcome, Mr. Yardam.

Goodnight everyone here. Sweet sleep.

December 7, 2013 at 11:28 pm
  15. December 7, 2013 at 11:34 pm

bbl … time to prepare some dinner … thank you, again, Chips for bringing these images – full of love and the diversity of those who love one another that, in South Africa, is the unparalleled achievement of President Mandela.

• December 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Before departing, I’ve gazed at the first picture ever since I first saw it earlier today, many times, and can well imagine that image being on the cover of more than one newspaper and magazine in the days/weeks ahead. The gentle touch of that little girls hand is what every adult should aspire having the courage to express.

• 53 HZ
          December 8, 2013 at 2:01 am

Bobfr, your observations are always so profound. “The gentle touch of that little girl’s hand is what every adult should aspire having the courage to express.”

A most elegant action of that little girl paints the soul of what Nelson Madela live out in his life’s journey. Thank you, Bobfr for that observation and those spoken words. HZ

16. 54 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm
  17. 56 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:43 pm

London

18. 59 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Tehran, Iran

19. 60 Dudette
    December 7, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Jakarta, Indonesia

20. 61 yardarm756
    December 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Over the past 24 hours, or so, I’ve followed the passing of Rolihlahla “The troublemaker” with mixed emotions……One part of me is happy for his spirit for it no longer has to contend with the hypocrisy on this planet. And on the other, I look at this country’s political system and shake my head.
    His transition is as if every person has a mirror and if honest, must ask himself where he stands in the grand scheme of things.
    Unfortunately, many here won’t like what they see. If they bother to look. :-(

21. 65 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 12:07 am

U.S. Consulate in Cape Town, South Africa

22. 66 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 12:11 am

Mayor of Cape Town

Direct link to website with details: http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/MediaReleases/Pages/CityoutlinesitscommemorativeeventshonourMandela.aspx

December 8, 2013 at 12:12 am

America is a country that is now utterly divided when it comes to its society, its economy, its politics. There are definitely two Americas. I live in one, on one block in Baltimore that is part of the viable America, the America that is connected to its own economy, where there is a plausible future for the people born into it. About 20 blocks away is another America entirely. It’s astonishing how little we have to do with each other, and yet we are living in such proximity.

There’s no barbed wire around West Baltimore or around East Baltimore, around Pimlico, the areas in my city that have been utterly divorced from the American experience that I know. But there might as well be. We’ve somehow managed to march on to two separate futures and I think you’re seeing this more and more in the west. I don’t think it’s unique to America.

Off to bed I go. Night all.

December 8, 2013 at 1:54 am

It was that way in my birth city, 50+ years ago when I was young, and remains so. What really have we accomplished in our country and our cities, while we were being lulled into being in the middle class as a goal, and following the American dream, all of these decades? I certainly don’t have the answer.

24. December 8, 2013 at 12:14 am

Chips, this post gives me goosebumps. I cannot stop my tears..

25. 70 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 12:20 am

Pretoria, South Africa

December 8, 2013 at 12:21 am

I’m fading in and out so ‘Good Night, guys and dolls!’

27. 73 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 12:23 am

A South African TV interview with Winnie Mandela
    Interest insights about the impact the struggle had on her and the children

Uploaded on Jun 8, 2011
    In a conversation with Dr. Felicia Mabuza Suttle, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela talks about the challenges her and other women like Albertina Sisulu faced for freedom in South Africa.

28. 74 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 12:26 am
  29. 75 mtmarilyn
    December 8, 2013 at 12:31 am

I just got up with this post. OMG the pictures and the tributes are amazing. I wonder if any of the Repubs will see any hypocrisy in what they are saying. I still hold out great hope for great things to come out of this gathering. I am an eternal optimist.

Thank you Chips and all here for this place.

Just to let you know it is 10:30 here in MT and it is now -7 and is suppose to get down to -15 tonight. After church tomorrow we (there will be 5 of us) are going out to cut out Christmas tree. It is suppose to be 3 when we leave. My friend that is going with us has made us all individual containers of homemade baileys. Hope it is enough. I’ll let you all know tomorrow evening if we find a tree and survive. Traditions trump weather.

Got to get some sleep. You all are the best.

• December 8, 2013 at 6:57 am

Stay warm, marillyn. Very warm. I understand what you feel. After years of having an artificial tree, there’s nothing like having the scent of a real tree, even with the needles. I grew up (for a while anyway, until the fire) with the scent of a real tree and i have found nothing to replace it. Alas, there’s no tree I can fit in my place that would help with 17 foot tall rooms. So enjoy the hunt and hope you get a good one!

30. 77 dotster3
    December 8, 2013 at 12:33 am
      December 8, 2013 at 1:48 am

I don’t think any of us “missed it”! WTG, Mr. President!

• December 8, 2013 at 2:07 am

Mathews knew PBO nailed him and his colleagues …. that was so obvious a gnat crawling across my computer monitor took note …

• 81 HZ
        December 8, 2013 at 2:16 am

((((((( Thank you again, Bobfr for your beautiful dedication )))))))))))HZ

• December 8, 2013 at 2:22 am

Hi Bob! You still up? I wanted to ask re. your take on this… if you’re not- sleep well! -kkp444

• December 8, 2013 at 2:43 am

I had hoped the message in my tweet was clear, Kathleen.

President Obama could not have been more incisive in his diss of ‘progressives’ aka emotarians, be they in the media (Mathews, Maddow, Todd, Gregory, etc) or various Beltway pundits and other hack #NEWSTAINERS, in the fact that they eagerly assumed he and the Democratic Party were conspirators in attacks on Teabagger 501(c)(4)s.

The entire “IRS Scandal” was as vacuous as “Benghazi” and all the other shinny objects the #GOP and their emotarian enablers (posing as ‘liberal media’) droned on and on and on about, thereby making Issa’s scams appear to be legitimate.

What anyone paying attention realized is that emotarians, teabaggers, most republicans and others of that ilk are just a pack of hate-filled, white pawns of plutocrats like the Kochs.

All of us should be grateful that these fools are so lame. They leave nothing to doubt. We know who they are and we know they are the enemy of a just and equitable America.

At every election, city, county, state or federal, from now and forever, these are the people We the People must defeat, resoundingly. If we don’t America is dead.

now for some rest ….

• December 8, 2013 at 3:22 am

Oh Bob, I wasn’t questioning your take on the issue. I’m in total agreement. But in the sad political game of us vs. them, it seems we’re sometimes too eager to toss people presumably on our side on over to ‘their’ side for lack of purity. This zero–sum game is dangerous, and, I think, something the President tries v. hard to avoid. I guess all I have is not really a question at all, just a remark, that I did see that shade, and was, well, surprised. The President is legendary for his cool! I just wish he had saved some of the shade for the ones who would never in a thousand hells work with him. That said, I also realize I have absoLUtely no right in monday quarterbacking my President. I’m sure he feels v. betrayed by the lot of them. I certainly would be. I’m just being tactical, really… Somebody like Tweety has just enough hollow space in his ego to want to fill it up with umbrage and indignation. Something n o o n e needs. That’s really my only quibble, we need every possible foot soldier there is… so I’d prefer Tweety’s feet made up of as little clay as possible. We can’t outright dismiss the people who still have megaphones, no matter how far they may be from our 50 yard line. At the end of the day, they really are still on our team.

31. 86 PoliticalJunkessa
    December 8, 2013 at 12:47 am

Such beautiful, poignant pictures. I’m overwhelmed by the depth and breadth of the tribute —- it is truly worldwide, truly historic. It is a rare event that causes the whole world to pause. What a precious legacy this one man who chose to love and forgive has left to all of us.

32. 87 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 1:02 am

From the South African Government’s website

07 Dec 2013

President Jacob Zuma will attend a service at the Bryanston Methodist Church to mark the National Day of Prayer and Reflection called to remember former President Nelson Mandela tomorrow, Sunday 8 December 2013.

President Zuma wishes to remind South Africans to mark this day by celebrating the life of former President Mandela, who sadly passed on, on the 5th of December.

Madiba left it to the South African people to celebrate his life and legacy.

He said once when asked how he wished to be remembered:
    “It would be very egotistical of me to say how I would like to be remembered. I’d leave that entirely to South Africans. I would just like a simple stone on which is written, ‘Mandela’.” [more in the article]

33. 88 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 1:17 am
  34. 92 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 1:20 am

Goodnight!

35. 93 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 1:30 am

The Elders

The Elders are independent global leaders, brought together by Nelson Mandela, who offer their collective influence and experience to support peace building, help address major causes of human suffering and promote the shared interests of humanity.

Chaired by Kofi Annan, The Elders is an independent group of global leaders who work together for peace and human rights. They were brought together in 2007 by Nelson Mandela, who is not an active member of the group but remains an Honorary Elder.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu served for six years as Chair before stepping down in May 2013, and remains an Honorary Elder.

The Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi was also an Honorary Elder, until her election to the Burmese parliament in April 2012.

36. 96 Dudette
    December 8, 2013 at 1:30 am
    • 97 nathkatun7
      December 8, 2013 at 3:19 am

Thank you, thank you, Dudette! I just couldn’t think of any other fitting words to express my gratitude for all you’ve shared with us in your marvelous tribute to Nelson Mandela. This world is desperately in need of wise elders like Madiba and all the others in the group he helped launch.

• December 8, 2013 at 2:00 am

Please, everyone at TOD, enjoy this fantastic expression of humanity and our love of freedom and each other ….

Yes We Can

• December 8, 2013 at 2:28 am

My hope is that as each of you view this video you will see the irrepressible spirit of humans to love … a spirit that President Mandela and President Obama have graced all of us with innumerable examples.

Rest well TOD … or welcome to a new day … depending on your location on this most exceptional speck in an ever expanding universe. A speck that we KNOW supports LIFE. Might be really wise if all humanity began to respect that fact and take much better care of that speck.

• 106 nathkatun7
          December 8, 2013 at 3:38 am

Thank you so much Bob for sharing this! It’s truly amazing to witness the universality of the struggle for freedom, justice, love and humanity. Thank you for always being in the forefront in spreading truth, love and goodwill! The depth of your humanity and integrity should inspire all of us to strive for goodness in our relations with others.

• 108 Dudette
        December 8, 2013 at 8:57 am

My soul lifts up!

37. 109 Lynn
    December 8, 2013 at 6:38 am

For those who might be interested,locatetv.com has the Ground Force episode with President Mandela. The team made over the President’s garden in 1999 for airing on BBC. Back to my tissue box.