Dec

Tuesday

Tuesday’s National Memorial Service for Nelson Mandela starts at 11 AM local time (4:0 AM US EST)

USA Today: Obama expected to speak at Mandela memorial

President Obama will make remarks on Nelson Mandela’s legacy during a memorial service Tuesday for the late South African freedom fighter, officials said Monday.

…. The president and first lady Michelle Obama departed Monday for Johannesburg, where a Mandela memorial service will be held in a soccer stadium.

Obama, who will also spend time with the Mandela family, is not scheduled to hold any bilateral meetings with foreign leaders while in South Africa, Rhodes said.

…. Former president George W. Bush and wife Laura are aboard Air Force One with Obama. So is former secretary of State Hillary Clinton, but former president Bill Clinton is traveling separately. Former president Jimmy Carter will also attend the Mandela memorial in South Africa.

Meanwhile, Vice President Biden will speak Wednesday at a special memorial service for Mandela to be held at the National Cathedral in Washington.

More here

123 Responses to “Tuesday”

December 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Not yet?

December 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Are you trying to confuse me?

December 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Chips Chica, it is still Monday. I think. BTW, since we are preparing for Tuesday, here’s a heads-up for you.

• December 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Wooooooooooooot!! Thank you for the heads up VC!

December 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

YMW, CC! Because you dealt with the pics of last night’s honorees in such a mostly-mature manner, I might even prepare the cake for you today – to ease the pressures on you for a bit. However, I won’t be able to have the Pres deliver it as he’s out of town. What do you say?

• December 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm

That would be excellent VC! Although I’d imagine Mighty P will be somewhat disappointed that I’m not doing the baking.

December 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm

She might understand, given the fact that tomorrow IS going to be a full day! You could always ask her when she returns.

December 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I forgot to add that I’m no better baker than you, but I have contacts. ;) :grin:

• 9 MightyPamela
                December 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Gulp.

December 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Now, now, where’s your courage, Pamela? You haven’t tried it yet. Plus be assured my contacts are good. If *I* was the one mixing the dough THEN you’d need to worry.

• 11 MightyPamela
                    December 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Dough, no batter? Um, well, okay, VC, I suppose as long as it LOOKS like (as in resembles) a cake, and if PBO CNA take a moment to present it, despite his attention needed elsewhere, I shall be honored to share with one and all ~ like the loaves and fishes, let them eat Cake AND Ice Cream! Woot! (number of candles is classified information at this point, suffice it to say the event did take place in Bethesda Naval Hospital, some years ago! ;)

December 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Dough, batter, one or the other or both? Who knows what the pre-oven stuff will look like – obviously not me. THAT’s why I’m using contacts. There’s memorable birthday and there’s MEMORABLE birthday! I’m all for the positive one, so don’t worry.

• 13 MightyPamela
              December 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Wait, wait, I know I am usually missing something, but talk about cake and PBO delivering it here to my new digs, well, he was just here on the day I moved in, so I suppose… (perhaps I’d better get reading!?) :)

• 14 MightyPamela
        December 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Nothing like an element of surprise, but then again, this could portent untold surprises galore! Dark chocolate and the full-bodied, dry reds are the preferred choice of the birthday girl! So much going on on my special day, I shall have to find a way to pay attention! :lol:

December 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

We-ell, you could have closed your eyes and stepped around, you know! Not to worry, you had the surprise a day early so it was a real surprise….right?

2. 18 itgurl_29
    December 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’ve always said that after he leaves office, that President Obama could become a Mandela-like leader for the world. A global statesmen respected and admired by marginalized people around the world. Apparently, the Mandela family thinks a lot of this President.

• December 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I agree – I think the Presidency is just his current role. He’ll be on to bigger and better things after this, and won’t have politics in his way.

December 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I agree. PBO is larger than the US Presidency. And the US corporate media’s efforts to marginalize him by trying to elevate irrelevant twerps like Edward Snowjob or Ted Cruz on the same platform as him, won’t work.

• December 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

The people proved more powerful than the MSN and the Corporate powers and smal business kochs in the election of 2012. Only one year ago. They can’t influence people like they used to. msnbc is noticing the numbers drop, silly phil g. :lol:

3. December 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Morning Obots!

I love it when winter comes to L.A. and we get to snuggle under the comforter. BUT. I am no longer a New Yorker. I’m just not made for this weather any longer. My hands are icicles right now.

• 24 GGail
      December 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

GM LL, you are not the only one who is not enjoying this blasted cold weather in L.A. – brrrrrrr!

December 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :razz: :razz:

Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself, LL and GGail! Teeheehee!

(Of course, we won’t mention that my driveway could use some plowing, but I have no plans to go anywhere today so there’s no rush.) Teeheehee! :grin: Want to borrow one of my gloves? I have lots – one or two for each coat, with extras in the closet. I really don’t mind sharing …. gloves…… and weather. :grin:

• 26 GGail
          December 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm

HA! it’s not funny VC, it’s cold!!! 48F here in the desert is cold to us. :D I still have my cashmere lined leather gloves from my Detroit days.

December 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

But do you know where to lay your hand on it? ;) You and Lib-L are groaning about 9 degrees? On the plus side? :roll:

Your talking about cold hands reminded me that it’s been a while since I’ve made soup, so I actually got up and got some started. Flipped a mental coin between lentil and red bean, then chose the latter – a silver lining from your complaint. ;)

• 28 theo67
              December 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’ve had my heater on at my desk all morning, and my hands are like ice.

December 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Don’t you guys have room/building heaters? You poor things! /gleefully/ Is it snowing or threatening snow? That’d be so :cool:

Seriously, how long is it forecasted to last?

• 30 GGail
                  December 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I just wrote (see below) that’s it’s supposed to be in the 70s F by this Saturday – don’t smirk VC

December 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Drat! How does the primary weatherperson expect you guys to truly appreciate what you normally have if s/he doesn’t give you a lengthier example of a play winter? Grrrrr.

• 32 theo67
                  December 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I’m not sure how long it’s going to last. I suspect the buildings aren’t insulated for storing heat like in Canada, so the heat dissipates quickly. Almost everyone has their personal heaters on lately… No snow where I am, although it’s always lovely seeing the snow on the mountaintops (especially at this time of the year). Came in too early this morning to see – still dark.

• 36 japa21
      December 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

48 degrees going up to 62? That’s cold? Wind chill current 4 here. That’s cold.

• 37 GGail
        December 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Ok, so it’s 48 and going up to the mid 60’s – that’s cold to us here in the desert!

Don’t make fun of us – it’s COLD! :LOL:

• 38 nathkatun7
          December 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

GGail, People really don’t understand how cold it is for us in Southern California as our bodies are not acclimated to the cold climate. Not only that, some of us don’t even have winter clothes. Where I live in SD, the temp was in the 30’s this morning.

• 39 GGail
            December 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I KNOW nathkatun, that’s cold to us! brrrrrr!

But on the bright side – it’s gonna be in the 70s F by this Saturday – whooo hoooooo!!!!

December 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I know, Japa; they are such privileged wimps! :roll:

• 41 GGail
          December 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Say WHHAAAATTTTTT???!!!!

• 43 nathkatun7
          December 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm

This is unfair, VC! Try living in Southern California for ten years and then let me know how you feel when the temp drops 30 degrees than what you are normally accustomed to and when you are not properly dressed.

December 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

{{Nathk}} I do know, Nathk. I just couldn’t resist this opportunity to rag GGail and Lib-L because they are always bragging about your good weather. Notice I didn’t name any other west coasters in my taunt though I know there are many others. They can take it – in fact they always give as good as they get.

• 45 nathkatun7
              December 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I know we are spoiled by the good weather. My relatives in NY, Boston, and Canada tell me that all the time when ever I complain of the cold. I was just trying to explain why we are more likely to feel the cold than the people who are used to living in the frigid regions.

December 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm

NP, Nathk.
                Wait….wait! What do you mean ‘used to living in the frigid regions’? That’s not something you…oops, I mean… I will ever be ‘used to’. ;) ;)

• December 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Hard to type isn’t it? It’s a balmy above zero here at 17F. We are always glad when it is above zero and our vehicles start. This is a land where we do need four wheel drive and not for show. But not me, I have a ’94 Buick! Ha! :lol: Enjoy all your essays LL. Want to say that while I have you. ;) Stay warm.

4. 48 GGail
    December 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Chipsticks, that’s a beautiful picture…simply beautiful.

5. 50 Judith Fardig
    December 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm

So looking forward to all the news about Nelson Mandela’s service here in this respectful and joyful place. Glad our President will be speaking.

6. 51 GGail
    December 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Kennedy Center Honors Santana, Billy Joel and Herbie Hancock.
    Snoop Dogg, Tom Morello, Garth Brooks and more paid respects in Washington D.C.

Snoop Dogg???

This article is awesome!

“but it wasn’t until Snoop Dogg rolled up in a velvety tux holding a blinged-out mic that the Kennedy Center crowd really went wild.

So much could have gone wrong, but Snoop kept it classy, meshing lines from his own “Gin and Juice” with lines about Herbie, pulling lyrics from Us3’s Hancock-sampling “Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia),” and throwing in a few call-and-response “heys” and “hos.” As bizarre as it was to see prominent politicians with their hands in the air, it was just as strange to watch Snoop shake O’Reilly’s hand afterward. But it was all in service of the greats.”

• 52 Nena20409
      December 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Including FLOTUS….. ;) her hands were in the air and she was smiling and moving her body in a musically dancing way.CBS showed that this AM. It is CBS that will be showing the Dec 29th televised event…..I think.

• 53 utaustinliberal
        December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Are you sure it was CBS? Was it ‘CBS This Morning’ because I can’t see the video on their website.

7. December 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Sweet Jesus have mercy on these idiots who call themselves journalists and are apart of the WHPC. Was Acosta being serious when he asked this ridiculous “question”?

CNN Asks Carney How Mandela Influenced Obama Even Though They ‘Only Met One Time’
    by Tommy Christopher | 4:35 pm, December 8th, 2013

Thursday’s sad passing of world civil rights icon Nelson Mandela was a frequent topic of discussion at Friday’s White House daily briefing, as several reporters asked Press Secretary Jay Carney to elaborate on Mandela’s influence, and on details surrounding his funeral. CNN Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta asked about “this great impact” that Mandela had on the President, while repeatedly stressing that President Obama had only met Mandela once.

Acosta began with a personal observation, telling Carney that “it just sort of struck me that the President talked about this great impact that he had on his life, but he only met with Nelson Mandela one time face-to-face.”

• 55 Nena20409
      December 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Yep he did. Jay paused before answering.

WJC met JFK once and JFK was his inspiration. Pres Obama says Lincoln inspires him…..so since Abe Lincoln left us 150 yrs plus ago…..I wonder what ACosta might say about that.

This part of the pathology of hate, and unreasonableness that is inhabiting today’s WHPC and the rest of the DC/NY pundits in the Era of pres Obama.

• December 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

How about those who never met Saint Ronnie yet he is all they can talk about… to them he is The One. There are so many individuals who have heroes who they never or will never meet but that is not a reason for those persons to be influenced by said persons.

• 57 Nena20409
          December 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Bingo. But their racist idiocy continues.

• 58 nathkatun7
          December 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Indeed, MB! Ask any devout Christian why he/she has such personal connection with Jesus though they never personally met him. The so called journalists of the WHPC have lost all semblance of common sense. I guess Jim Acosta is ignorant of the fact that Mandela’s life is documented by his own words as well as the books written about him. Look, I never met President Obama in person, yet he inspires me greatly.

• 59 theo67
      December 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

It’s a kind of idiocy, isn’t it?

• 60 Linda
      December 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Good Grief…

PBO said that he followed Mandela’s writings…..

• 61 utaustinliberal
      December 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Wow. The stupid is real. You don’t have to meet someone face-to-face for said person to influence you.

The WHPC is D-U-M-B.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

It is a shame that Jay has to address the obvious demeaning questions he is accosted with by Acosta. Could not help myself on that one.

8. 63 Linda
    December 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Chuck Todd accused the White House of a certain kind of “propaganda” in its attempt to deny photographers access to photograph the President.

“It is a version of propaganda,” Todd said on Monday. “People hate that word and I’m not trying to say — but that is what this can come across if taken too far.”

Todd debated the option currently faced by news organizations to “stop using White House photographs” altogether, which he noted was an “internal debate” that MSNBC has reportedly had. There have been several protests in recent weeks by both photojournalists and news outlets like USA Today acting against the limited press access.

• 64 theo67
      December 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Why doesn’t Chuck Todd try and do his actual job, instead of trying to create news? This is really pathetic.

• 65 Nena20409
      December 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

The same verbiage used by Ron Fournier, USA Today and McClartchy(sp).

They must always use negative, hyperbole and flat out wicked verbiages they never used during GWBush. He had fake Journos and News releases…….and PROPAGANDA was never used by these same Journos.

December 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

The media feels threatened by the fact that the pictures tell a far more accurate story about PBO’s presidency than any of their slanted, pro-GOP talking points narratives ever could. They are also threatened by the fact that people will click on a story with a pete souza pic faster, more frequently, and stay on it longer than any of their trashy PBO-scandal stories. They are further threatened by the fact that PBO actually looks GREAT in pictures, along with his photogenic First Family, First Dogs, etc. I mean, who wants to see Chuck Todd (or his idol Chris Christie) in a pair of swimming trunks on the beach, or in a tuxedo at a state dinner, or in a graduation cap’n gown giving a keynote address? Yet people flock to pics of PBO in a wide variety of settings including all of the above.

• 67 Nena20409
        December 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Remember many photo-shops to increase attendance during GW Bush events? The media Never used the verbiage Propaganda.

Romney used a couple of those too. Todd and Acosta never said: Propaganda.

• December 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I think the president’s safety rises above all of their petty whining. He has to have people around him that he can trust.

9. December 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Beautiful coverage of recent events with the President and of course Mandela’s passing. Don’t know what I would do without TOD. Chips and Co are superb!

10. December 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Looking around the DKos just now (I know, I know) – I found a very cute diary from Dec 1 entitled “President Obama bought my book! He did!” from somebody named SensibleShoes. Apparently the author of “Jinx”, which was on the list of books PBO purchased at the bookstore last weekend. The author was justifiably excited and proud, it was pretty cool. I don’t want to post a link here, but you can go to the DKos site and search for “bought my book” on “All Diaries” for December 1 (you’ll have to change the date, since it’s awhile ago).

11. 75 Allison
    December 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

December 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Anyone know what time on Tuesday, the memorial will begin? I believe South Africa is ahead of us 7 or 8 hours EST?

13. 81 57andfemale
    December 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

14. December 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

15. 88 LDS
    December 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

LOL!
    Ms. Chips, you are just too much for me.
    I sure needed that laugh.
    TY.

16. December 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

The #euromaidan twitter feed indicates tension increasing — opposition HQ were raided and computers either removed or destroyed; food and other supplies being blocked from being delivered to those in Kiev’s Independence Square; women and children being urged not to come to Independence Square, etc.

17. 91 Ladyhawke
    December 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Steve Benen @stevebenen1 hour ago

——————————————————–

Issa is hosting “field hearings” on Obamacare. Too bad testimony is limited to those who already agree with the

GOP on.msnbc.com/1gjPjlL

———————————————————-

18. 95 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm

19. December 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hello Guys and Dolls
    Does anybody else find it strange that Bill Clinton is arriving separately? He always tries to show up people. Hence the media questioning Mandela’s influence on President Obama’s life. (Clinton’s clique) Hillary needs to talk to Bill and these “Clintonites” if she runs because he still will get the side eye from POTUS’s black supporters and the rest of his rainbow crew.

Black people are a forgiving people (Mandela, King, Obama) but we don’t forget. I noticed him and “Clintonites” stirring pots and starting “ish” early.
    forgive my spelling guys :)

I just wonder what he’s (Bubba) up to? with his “FAKE” behind. I like and respect Hillary but I don’t care much for her back stabbing, Cheater Extraordinaire ex-president Clinton.

Now Whooosah…… I said my piece, rack it up to it Monday :)

Miss Carly

• 97 57andfemale
      December 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

As much as I wouldn’t put anything past Bill Clinton, I heard earlier that he was coming from a conference or something.

• 98 carolyn
        December 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Bill and Chelsea Clinton were in Brazil at a conference. Carter was in London at a meeting. Since GWB doesn’t go anywhere outside Texas, he just flew in to D.C. last night, and Hillary is basically in D.C. or N.Y. now, it was easy for her to get to Andrews.
        GWB is basically a hermit in Dallas or Crawford. He doesn’t dare go anywhere without Laura….she props him up, literally and figuratively. As we have learned since he left office, in spite of what was spun, most of his crazy “accidents”…biking, pretzeling, etc. were the result of alcohol He was supposed to have conquered that, but living in the next state, here in OK…..we hear things.

December 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm

If those rumors in OK are true, I’ll start out by saying that I usually feel sorry for anyone with the disease of alcoholism. In GWB’s case, I’m not wasting a minute worrying about it – with all the subconscious guilt that guy should have, I say Hey, Laura, he’s all yours to keep out of the limelight, because karma’s a you-know-what.

• 100 Linda
      December 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

He is in Brazil with Chelsea …they are traveling from there.

20. December 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

December 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

December 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Right now, one of the primary ways Congressional Republicans are attacking Obamacare is to cite the sob stories of Congressional staffers — and lawmakers themselves — who are having a bad experience with the law. Thanks to a bit of Republican legislative trolling that forced Members and their staffs onto the exchanges to make a political point, some are discovering that premiums are higher than they would have expected, having previously enjoyed the protection of government benefits that essentially shielded them from reality.
    But if anything, the fact that Members of Congress are now having an unpleasant brush with the American health care system is a good thing. These Members are experiencing the same American health care system that the uninsured and people with preexisting conditions have been experiencing for many years. They are being forced to face the fact that American health care costs a lot, which, of course, is one of the reasons reform is so hard.
    The health care system is already deeply unjust. A good article in the New York Times sheds light on this, and on how Obamacare is changing things for the better:

23. 108 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Afternoon all. Just called CSpan re: Pres Mandela’s memorial. The have it blocked to go live 4-8 am(EST); however, haven’t scheduled station yet. Their best guess is CSpan-2 as the end time overlaps Washington Journal on CSpan. Will update if I get add’l info.

• 109 carolyn
      December 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Washington Journal could be postponed or canceled for a once in a century event!!! Those two bit hacks on WJ are not that important!

24. December 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

December 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm

From the Catholic Democrats organization:

From me, to poke a finger in Boehner’s eyeball:

26. December 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thank you guys for giving me clarification on Clinton’s whereabouts. I still don’t trust his *ss.
    Cheers