Dec

Tuesday in South Africa

A South African girl, held by her mother, kisses a statue of former president Nelson Mandela at the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory in Johannesburg, Dec. 9 (Twitter)

12:05 AM EST: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama arrive in Johannesburg

4:0 AM EST: Attend memorial service for Nelson Mandela

1:05 PM EST: Depart Johannesburg

The Nelson Mandela Memorial Service begins at 11:0 local time, 4:0 AM US EST

Live streaming here:

And here:

Also at White House Live

Hoping the service will be shown everywhere, uninterrupted, but in case it’s not, try the links above.

144 Responses to “Tuesday in South Africa”

December 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’m ready already!

2. 38 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

If you get The Africa Channel on cable, that’s likely to cover it as well. I’ve been enjoying their special coverage over the weekend.

3. 39 mtmarilyn
    December 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm

So if it is 4am est that’s 2am here in MT. I had wanted to get up but I don’t know if I can. I am sure Chips will have video. I really want to see it live. Is cspan going to to show? Haven’t had time to check in most of today.

4. 40 Judith Fardig
    December 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm

That photo at the top is exquisite!

5. December 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Chips, the WH also just announced they will have a live feed:

December 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for the update, Chiparoo.

7. December 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Way behind, as usual, so hope I am not duplicating what’s already been posted here.

John Kerry’s efficiency, dating back to his days on the Foreign Relations Committee in the Senate and Joe Biden’s 30+ years of experience in the Senate must leave much of the MSM speechless.

Tweeted yesterday:

8. December 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Taking a nap….setting my alarm for Midnight

December 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

The beautiful child in the photo looks like she is whispering in Madiba’s ear, to me.

10. December 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

which c-span network will cover the Mandela Service?

11. December 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm

And has this been posted?

Haven’t read the long article (10,000 words) yet.

The MSM “friends of Snowdenwald” need to wake up. BobFR began spreading the word on Thanksgiving:

12. 61 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Aljazeera America will have live coverage starting at 4AM

December 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Spread this. http://www.policymic.com/articles/74055/these-maps-debunk-everything-the-nra-has-told-us-about-guns

The map is not without exceptions and outliers, but the general trend is clear: States with more gun regulations had lower rates of gun deaths, and states with less gun laws had higher gun death rates, both in terms of suicide and homicide. That’s certaintly not the message we get from the National Rifle Association.

14. December 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm

For those following the Ukraine situation:

• 65 jackiegrumbacher
      December 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

VP Biden has been doing an outstanding and unsung job in reaching out to Asia and now Ukraine. He has fast become one of the finest and most effective vice presidents in history and it is all under the media radar.

• December 9, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Couldn’t agree more with you, Jackie.

The media like to portray Biden as a “buffoon” because of his expressive outbursts which come from his real empathy and goodnatured being.

The MSM can’t handle two “what you see is what you get – WSIWYG for old-time Lotus 1-2-3 users” politicians (VP and POTUS).

I think what Bibi said about Secretary Kerry never sleeping applies to VP Biden as well.

15. 67 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

A tweet with a link to a dark instagram picture was posted a few days ago. This one has a much better photo.
    Love the doggy prints! :-D

16. 73 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm

17. 74 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:06 pm

18. 75 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:06 pm

19. 76 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm

20. 77 Lynn
    December 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I’m usually hours or day behind, but once upon a time, while hanging out at dailykos, I came across BWD and her dedication to our President. She posted fab photos and stood by our Pres. Through her, I found this kickass site. I will be forever grateful

21. 97 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Priceless Gem from YouTube

“I think about you, when the sun sets…” The wonderful Miriam Makeba, Mama Africa, in the 1959 film by Lionel Rogosin, COME BACK, AFRICA. In memory of Nelson Mandela

December 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Night all. Time for this one to nod off. I hope that Chips has all the ceremonies for tomorrow as I will not be able to rise that early. I will check when I get up at 5am to see if they are still ongoing. I can’t have my head separated from my body at work….not with those little ones to think about. See you then.

23. 108 GGail
    December 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I’m gonna have to rely on TOD to provide coverage because there is no way I’ll be awake at 1am pst.

24. 116 carolyn
    December 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

One of the many reasons I love this place, is that I know I can view the entire ceremony here after I have finished giving and grading exams. I just can’t wake up at 4 or 5….I think it’s 3 a.m. in my time zone, then be any good at all at school. I’ll watch at my leisure tomorrow…..I can know the President will do great without me………Just want them to have a safe trip and be safe!!! So proud of him…..all the good he’s done in spite of the Rethugs!

December 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm

December 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I didn’t know Oprah was going to President Mandela’s memorial service. Apparently she has already arrived.

• 119 Dudette
      December 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I could SWEAR I saw Stedman on some Africa Channel B-roll standing behind President Zuma in a church service yesterday as they were doing news reports about church services all across South Africa.

It was unmistakably the very tall Stedman, but the view of the person standing beside him was obstructed. Best bet is it was Oprah.

December 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Yes, Oprah IS there. She was named among the celebrities who had already arrived in the country (on the African live feed I’m following).

27. 121 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Timely and timeless song!

Tracy Chapman ~ Talkin ’bout a Revolution, Live 1988 Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday, Wembley

28. 122 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Same concert

29. December 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Those who followed the 2009 “Green Revolution” in Iran and its heartbreaking consequences of so much violence of the Basij against its own people will welcome this news.

“Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is systematically purging the executive branch of the veterans of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC). Among Rouhani’s 18 cabinet ministers, there are only four IRGC veterans. This is a far cry from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s two presidential cabinets, which each featured around 60% IRGC commanders apiece. And Rouhani is not done purging. He is now also removing the Guards as he appoints new governor-generals. – See more at: http://defenddemocracy.org/media-hit/rouhani-purges-the-irgc-from-local-government#sthash.exqVY7cY.dpuf

* * * * * * * * * * * *
    Next step: remove IRGC from Syria?

December 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

So it appears that PBO will also attend the State Funeral on Sunday and give an address at that time as well.

31. 131 Dudette
    December 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

See y’all a little later.

32. December 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

33. December 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Reminder to the emoputin crowd aka #Snowdenwald cultists:

34. 139 forus50
    December 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Have you guys seen this? It’s terrific. Sometimes comedy is the best way to educate on social issues.

December 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm

December 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I think it might be smart to rest my eyes a bit , so BBL!

37. 142 dotster3
    December 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Detestable Jon Stewart continues on his Obama bashing without taking a breath. That little man needs to get over his little man inferiority complex.

December 9, 2013 at 11:18 pm