Dec

On This Day

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama dance during the 2009 Nobel Banquet in the Hall of Mirrors at the Grand Hotel in Oslo, Norway, Dec. 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama looks at the Nobel Peace Prize medal for the first time at the Norwegian Nobel Institute in Oslo, Norway, Dec. 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

….. holding the Nobel Prize medal and diploma following the ceremony at the Oslo City Hall (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama depart Oslo City Hall following the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama looks at pictures of past Nobel Prize recipients at the Norwegian Nobel Institute (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama looks out a window at Slottet Royal Palace of Norway following his meeting with King Harald V and Queen Sonja in Oslo (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama wave from a balcony at the Grand Hotel as they greet the Torch Parade in Oslo (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama arrive at the 2009 Nobel Banquet in the Hall of Mirrors at the Grand Hotel in Oslo (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

127 Responses to “On This Day”

1. December 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

A real pictravaganza. Lovely memories!

2. 12 No Child Left Behind
    December 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hello Chipsticks,

Thank you for these beautiful pictures and for the Oslo video. Un vrai régal!

My best to Danny.

• December 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Ah, thank you No Child, Danny sends ya hugs!

• 14 57andfemale
        December 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Did Danny behave at the vet?

• December 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

He was reasonably good 57, apart from trying to eat a Spaniel’s tail in the waiting room. He was a bit aggrieved that it wasn’t the female vet today, who he took a shine to last time, it was a man person who was more business like and didn’t give him hugs like she did. He decided it wasn’t a fun place any more, so was happy to leave. I may have trouble getting him back there.

• 16 57andfemale
            December 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Oh dear. You have your hands full, don’t you?

Does he like to go for rides? Unfortunately, my guys tend to only go in the car when they go to the vet or the groomer, so they’re not too amenable to the process. Unless there’s a grocery bag – then Kasper would take flying leaps into the car to get to the goodies.

Just puppy maintenance, I assume?

• December 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I love Kasper!!! :-)

He was just getting his last injection today 57, he’s hale and hearty! Still a little overweight, I felt like a bad Mummy, so have to be more careful with the amounts he eats. Won’t be easy when he throws me those cute ‘feed me’ eyes :???:

• 18 57andfemale
                December 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, they are masters at those looks. Of course, I’m a strict disciplinarian (snark). But overweight is not good, particularly for a big dog. Mommy needs to know what’s best. He’ll love you anyway. Trust me.

I wish I could post photos. Kasper was very busy today: first, he made a line of a group of toys and put himself in the line. It was a classic, “which one of these things is different from the others.”

I swear I’m not making this up: he then made two parallel lines that kind of looked like a road. He has a stuffed toy bus and he put the bus in the middle. I swear it’s the truth. Unfortunately, he drove the bus off the road before I was able to get the camera (I do have photos of his other project).

He’s a maltese/bichon mix and he is a real character. The only dog I’ve ever not been able to control the weight – Hubby cannot resist those eyes…….

• December 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Oooooooh 57, I’m snorting loudly, funniest thing ever! “Which one of these things is different from the others.” :lol: You need to record these scenes from now on, they’d go viral on the YouTube machine!

I definitely need to stop giving in to the puppy eyes, the fella would eat forever and if he finds his dish empty he gives me a “WTF” look. Like last time, he’s only a little overweight, so that’s a relief, but the vet said it’s better to keep an eye on it, that growing too fast isn’t good for any breed, especially Labs. So, diet starts tomorrow :???:

• 20 57andfemale
                    December 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I’m really trying to get the weight off Kasper, and it’s sooooo little food in his bowl. It breaks my heart but he looks like a snowball with legs and those baker’s chocolate eyes that just shine and burrow into your soul.

Now that it’s icy and cold here in Chicago, no walks for the ‘boys’. I don’t need Hubby falling on the ice and the boys don’t need salt and ice in their paws. My point: how the hell am I going to get weight off him during the long, cold winter?

He has what I call ‘slippy knees’ – luxated patella. His knee joints are practically non-existent (genetic. I’m sure he came from a puppy mill). So he really needs to be thinner. We’re working on it……

• December 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

“He looks like a snowball with legs”

You have me howling again, 57, what an image!

I know, winter is a misery when you have a dog in your life, and I’m a touch reluctant to choose this option:

I mean, really.

• 22 57andfemale
                      December 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’m considering it. Although I think by now you have the impression that Kasper has some ‘tude and I can see him looking at me, “Seriously?”

The holistic vet who helped Pilgrim in his last months worked out of an orthopedic center she founded for dogs. She was a pioneer with acupuncture and arthritis in dogs. She made an exception for my Pilgrim and got back to her general medicine roots. He adored her and she loved him to pieces. She said he was the coolest little old man she ever met. She has since moved to AZ to take care of her elderly parents, but I have connections there. I think it’s time for Kasper to burn off some of the weight!

• December 10, 2013 at 5:13 pm

57, methinks Kasper and Danny are, somehow, related, we should take them to a dog gym together and get them in to finely-tuned-dog-athlete shape.

That vet sounds wonderful. I know longer term Danny will have trouble with his hips and sundry joints, as my poor old golden retriever nephew has, would love to find someone like that who could help ease the discomfort without druggie things.

• 24 57andfemale
                      December 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm

After he’s full grown (!) start him something like glyco-flex which is a natural joint supplement derived from mussels. I’ve finally gotten regular with it for Kasper and I can see that he’s moving better. Nickelby’s on it too, just cause he’s probably up there in age. My regular vet highly recommends it. no side effects, no drugs. I know a number of people who have had excellent results with acupuncture. Pilgrim loved it. I know it prolonged his life. It was really a heartwarming scene. We adopted Nickelby before we knew how sick Pilgrim was. ‘Dr. Julie’ thought we were crazy, until she got to know Nickelby and Pilgrim and how good they were for each other. Nickelby became his protector. He’d go to Dr. Julie’s with us, jump on the scale even though he wasn’t a patient (they gave me a readout on his weight anyway). He’d hear Dr. Julie’s voice and he’d ‘talk’ to her until she came into the exam room. Then he’d sleep on her feet while she gave Pilgrim acupuncture. It was just beautiful.

• December 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

What a lovely, sweet dog family! Nickelby jumping on the scale just made me smile, so, so cute. What a kind, loving home you have given to these dogs over the years, you’re wonderful.

Will definitely bookmark your glyco-flex suggestion for when the time comes, I mush prefer the idea of natural remedies – for two and four-legged creatures!

• 26 57andfemale
                      December 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Nickelby is a cairn/silky mix. His nickname is ‘Goofball’ so that gives you an idea of what he looks like, although he has a serious soul.

Look into the glyco-flex. I admit I’d gotten lazy about it and at Kasper’s last check-up the vet really urged me to use it. He may need surgery anyway, but it really helps the joints and I literally could see a difference in how he was able to move.

Yeah, they’re our babies. I can’t imagine life without them……..

• 27 57andfemale
                    December 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

‘Tomorrow never comes, young lady.

• December 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Danny will be happy with one or two nuggets if you want to treat him. If he eats dry food. They are even happy with extra attention for a reward, like rubbing behind the ears or tummy or whatever special spot he has. That’s what our trainer told us anyway and she is a Vet too. Can you ask for the female Vet the next time he needs to go for an appointment? That’s what we do and they usually accommodate us unless it’s an emergency. We have one of the most popular Vets too. We have been going to her since she started practice in our town about 1979.

3. December 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love these two people!

4. December 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I shared this link yesterday but don’t think many people had a chance to read it. I had not even read the entire thing when I shared. Did that later. It is wonderful so don’t miss it. Written by a South African Methodist minister….long history with Mandela beginning in his early prison days.

December 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Wonderful memories.

6. 35 Layla
    December 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm

22,725,067 hits

December 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

The world got lucky when US showed some smarts….twice! :grin:

Boy am I out of step today! I wonder if I can blame it on my really ‘early, early, early bird’ arrival in the village?

• 37 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      December 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You are not alone. Around noon, I said I was signing off to get some sleep — only had about two hours since I got up at 6 a.m., YESTERDAY morning; here it is 3:30 pm and I still haven’t laid my butt down. Now waiting for a repairperson…

December 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Hope you get a chance to rest after s/he leaves. Repair people drive me crazy because most of them give you such a wide time frame 9-12, 1-5, whatever! I particularly resent the ones that then come closer to the end time. Usually, given a choice I choose the first slot, then ask to be first. Works most of the time. :grin:

8. 39 Judith Fardig
    December 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

So much to catch up on today, but off to work for now and then my OFA team holiday party tonight. We will be savoring everything we have done to help our President’s agenda!!

• 40 jackiegrumbacher
      December 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Judith–the only message Cruz ever hears is “I want. I want. I want.” that plays incessantly in his brain. He thinks he’s better than anyone.

9. 41 Allison
    December 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm
  10. 43 Allison
    December 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm
  11. 44 donna dem 4 obama
    December 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I guess Ted has made himself an honorary member of the Congressional Black Caucus. Sheesh!!!

• 45 theo67
      December 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I’m glad none of these people were able to mar the President’s visit, and they appear to have been kept away from him. He gets enough of their congressional nonsense when he’s home. Democrats AND Republicans.

I wonder if Cruz got a clue about how inconsequential he really is…

12. 46 donna dem 4 obama
    December 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Among other things regarding this President…I.Love.His.Hands.

13. 48 Obama Grandmama
    December 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Just watched my Tivoed speech by PBO at Mandella’s Memorial. I watched it from when it was supposed to be on till he actually spoke so instead of being with you in the middle of the night I watched it all this morning. I never normally watch Morning Joe but included his two hours just in case it went long which it did. I was sorry the Memorial just became an aside instead of the emphasis when it really mattered. I have also been catching up on the blog from last night while watching.
    You all were so right about PBO’s speech being really good. As I saw the other US Presidents in attendance I felt a sense of destiny in Barack Obama being our President at this time in history. No other President could have spoken using his own experiences as PBO did. I also thought about his words and how what he said about Mandella paralleled his own rough road faced with those opposing him and disrespecting him.

December 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Chips – Another “President looks longingly out of the window as though there’s a whole world out there” photo!

This is a man much larger than his human body.

I’ve got to start a collection … they just speak to me.

15. 50 Lovepolitics2008
    December 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Folks, prepare yourselves for attacks towards Mr. Podesta for his courageous stance against UFO secrecy.

I very rarely talk about this, but this may be a good time.

The UFO subject has been ridiculed for decades. But in 2001, lots of courageous witnesses from the military-industrial complex had the courage to come forward in the context of THE DISCLOSURE PROJECT. John Podesta had the courage to give them some support.

If you’ve never watched this, I warn you, it will shake you to your core. Especially if you watch it TILL THE END.

On youtube, there are a lot of other pertinent videos, with more elaborate testimony from the disclosure project witnesses.

BUT BE CAREFUL: I would say that 90% at least of youtube videos on the UFO subject is CRAP. Conspiracy nuts, people who ARE nutcases, disinfo , gratuitous speculation, distortions , etc. There are even people supposedly from the world of “black ops” who are peddling conspiracy crap, anti-Obama hysteria, etc.

Just stay with the witnesses associated with the disclosure project. And believe me, that’s enough to change your perspective of the world.

16. 53 anniebella
    December 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm

CBS, NBC, says Obama takes selfie at funeral with world leaders. Nothing about his speech though.

December 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm

:roll: Yeah, he flew for over 17hours just to go take a selfie with Cameron and Thorning-Schmidt. They are ALL so dense, Annieb, they make up news yet cannot recognize when real news slaps them in the face!

17. 55 Layla
    December 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm

For the life of me I cannot understand why one would expect anything else!

December 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm

BTW, TODobots, has Amk gone on ANOTHER trip (without telling me)? I don’t remember seeing him the last day or two.

19. 59 57andfemale
    December 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm
  20. 60 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

cspan is saying that Tim Johnson said there will NO vote on further sanctions for Iran after a call from PBO and the testimony of SOS Kerry.

Mel Watt may be confirmed later today

The National Defense Authorization Act has been stripped of the Gillibrand and the McCaskill amendments of rapes in the military.

They may get votes as Amendments but will not be included in the bill vote

21. 61 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Paul Ryan has told reporters not to leave for the day…..he will most likely be announcing a budget deal later today.

22. 62 Bill R.
    December 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    December 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

The people who thought this thinking it was a cute “joke”…I’m just posting to show TOD how these things spiral. And notice the ABSENCE of comparable media coverage with pictures and headlines of GWB and Laura Bush. There is NOTHING funny about this. NOTHING

Chips you may delete this if you deem necessary.

• 64 Layla
      December 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm

There is absolutely NOTHING funny about this hf! Remember the First couple are WAY above this shit!

• 65 dotster3
      December 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm

IMHO this media flurry has reached its saturation point. I don’t get why it’s even a thing. People get too defensive, feeling the need to now post a smiling Michelle—’See, Michelle is smiling!” Let the media types have their silliness. It will be gone soon—–and sooner if people would just stop obsessing about it. Michelle may have been exhausted, maybe had a tummy ache, didn’t feel so great, when photos were taken—–but what if—–she was indeed a tad irked with her hubby having a goofy selfie moment with the leaders of 2 other countries—-why is that not allowed? No one else has ever been irked with their spouse/SO? I imagine even presidents and first ladies get irked with each other from time to time. It’s just that every one of their waking moments, every expression, is caught on camera. I just think everyone should drop this. We’ve seen these insignificant moments flare up before. They go away—–if people will let them fizzle out.

• 66 Layla
        December 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

everyone should drop this…enough of this silliness!

December 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I get what you are saying dotster3. FLOTUS could have been alittle upset because she felt a funeral was not the time or place for this kind of behavior. So I understand. FLOTUS and POTUS are human and they get mad, get alittle piss, have days when they are not feeling the best, and they don’t feel like smiling all the time. I get what you are saying dotster3. It is not easy living your life in front of the camera, specially when people are just looking for anything that they can go negative with.

December 10, 2013 at 5:45 pm

And Layla I am dropping it, right now. I feel it is just an attempt to tear down POTUS and FLOTUS. But it won’t happen.

• 69 dotster3
          December 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Just an insignificant moment in time. Thought of a funny story my daughter told me today. Her mother in law popped in to see the new baby and said she and her gal friend were at the mall Sat. when my daughter and her husband and baby were there. She said they spotted them and watched them for a bit from a distance (before coming over to say hi) (slightly creepy) and said that they looked “so in love!” Now my daughter said, “We are—–so in love—–but I’m glad we weren’t having an argument about some dumb thing when we were unknowingly being “spied upon” by mother in law.” Would not have looked “so in love” in that moment. A moment in time.

• 73 yardarm756
        December 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

But, but, but, where’s the transparency the President promised?-(snark)

• 74 theo67
      December 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm

They are so juvenile. And hateful. They take something so sweet and try and muck it up with their filth. It’s infuriating.

• 75 nospin
      December 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I don’t see why folks are up in arms. this meme is just silly and not worth the energy.

24. 77 LDS
    December 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Is this for real or photo shop?
    I just got back home and left with the most inspiring, encouraging spirit. And now, come back to this?
    Layla, you are so right. I do not think there is nothing cute nor funny about this at all. After all what this day,rant toso. Many people and this is what the media whores are peddling?

25. 79 LDS
    December 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

^^^correcrion: “After all what this day meant to so many”

• 80 Layla
      December 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm

“After all what this day meant to so many” And this should continue to be the subject of conversation. The ‘media’, and I use the term very loosely enjoy this because it generates responses from the President’s supporters. That is their goal and unfortunately many fall into their trap! Since we ALL know what the media is up to I say we do not need to know on a minute to minute basis, what people in the media are saying, unless we are prepared to fight back. Just reporting it here, day to day, does nothing but cause aggravation!

26. 81 forus50
    December 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • 82 forus50
      December 10, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I am elated it’s done for two years. POTUS won’t have to mess with these idiots on this matter for a whole 24 months. YEA!!!!

• 83 theo67
        December 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I’m scared about the details and which innocent people will be hurt this time by Paul Ryan’s fingers in the pie.

• 84 Lovepolitics2008
      December 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Anxiously awaiting the details…

• 85 forus50
        December 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’m guessing it’s going to be somewhat like little luke russert wrote in detail about a few days ago: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101249671

Details are being kept purposely vague, but sources familiar with the ongoing negotiations have sketched out the following details:
        •The two-year deal would likely cover fiscal year 2014 and 2015.
        •It would set the top line budget number for both years. That’s important because it’s what the appropriations committees will work with when they decide how to allocate funding for specific government programs under the funding guidelines set by that top line.

•That top line budget number would be in the neighborhood of appropriating $967 billion to $1.058 trillion each year. Possibly in the $990 billion dollar range, though the specific dollar amount is not yet known.

The deal seeks to limit the impact of sequestration by finding other areas of government to raise revenues and also by cuts or reforms to programs. Ryan and Murray are exploring things like new airline fees or the sale of broadcast spectrum owned by the government to help offset the $967 billion cap on government spending put in place because of sequestration.
        The supposed deal would also give various government agencies more leniency in how to implement aspects of the sequester.

27. 86 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Mel Watt confirmed.

28. 89 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Voting on Nina Pillard for DC court started

29. 90 carolyn
    December 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Looking at the pictures of POTUS and FLOTUS in Oslo…..I wonder if they ever say to themselves…..”Is this real? Here I am a girl who grew up on the south side of Chicago…went to school…..married this man with the “funny” name….I can hardly imagine that I am the wife of the President of the U.S…..and we are here in Oslo for him to receive the peace prize….or we are here in So. Africa and he’s speaking at Mandela’s service…or he is giving his second inaugural address…..or……..fill in the blanks. I can hardly believe my life has led me here.” And he thinks…”Here I am…..in So. Africa….or Oslo, or on an inaugural podium…….I’m just a kid who was born in Hawaii, lived in Indonesia…lived with my grandparents…went to school, studied hard….married wonderful Michelle….have two wonderful daughters……how did this happen to me? I can still hardly believe it.”
    These two have no sense of entitlement whatsoever. I know they wake up some days and are wondering…..is this really me here…..how did I get here?
    Every event, I notice their total involvement, their presence in the moment…..why not take a “selfie” at such a momentous occasion? Sometimes I’m sure he doesn’t believe he is where he is, and wants to remember it…..just like his daughters did at the inauguration. He is very human!

• December 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm

If you follow Stonekette Station anyone and know who Jim Wright is, you may enjoy a snippet from his FB post. There’s more hilarity, but I chose the top few lines, his perspective on selfie. I haven’t been on twitter yet so didn’t this was going on.
      “The Holiday Season In Twitter,
      Obama takes a selfie with world leaders at Nelson Mandela’s funeral. That’s it! THAT’S the official biblical sign of the End Times as foretold in Revelation! Everybody get naked and standby for the Rapture!

Conservative Talk Radio Pundits in emergency session to determine best way to spin Obama’s Mandela funeral speech into socialist Nazi-flavored treason…”

30. 92 Vicki
    December 10, 2013 at 6:06 pm

This entire day has been one for the books.
    Great on appointment confirmations.
    Great the Volker rule finally going into effect.
    Now, a budget deal!

Not to mention that on a rainy gray day for a funeral in South Africa, a son with history from Kenya and Kansas caused such a joyful noise that it seemed for a short while that the sun was shining in the Johannesburg stadium.

31. 95 criquet
    December 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hello everyone:

Anyone know if this is real?

• 96 Layla
      December 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Who the fuck cares what Ted Cruz does/says!

December 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

This is a photo shopped pic. But regardless, there are already enough REAL pics of GOPers shaking hands with foreign “dictactors” so we don’t need to photo shop to prove a point!

32. 98 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I see Patty Murray on the floor of the Senate…….did she and Ryan already make the announcement ?

33. 103 forus50
    December 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  34. 104 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm

No Revenue and No closed loopholes.

December 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Senator Murray is talking now, and you can see it live here.

36. 106 forus50
    December 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm
  37. December 10, 2013 at 6:24 pm

trying to understand what that budget deal means….sounds like double talk to me

38. 110 anniebella
    December 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I’m through with the hand shake also.

39. 115 forus50
    December 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’m just thrilled that it’s 2 years. This is a BFD. POTUS can get a LOT more accomplished not tied up on this crap. And can enjoy a nice long well deserved Hawaiian vacation! :)

40. 116 Linda
    December 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Harry Reid said earlier that the votes will only be held open for 20 minutes going forward because stragglers are holding up the process..

• 117 Vicki
      December 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Harry Reid id Not Playing.

I need to see the details on the budget but my first take is that this is a victory for us. No cuts to SS and Medicare and a repeal of Sequester. So far, so good.

• 118 Obama Grandmama
        December 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

There will be things in the deal that neither side like. There will also be things each side like but wanted them to go further. That is Bipartisan compromise.

December 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I see the low numbers and the reaction to GOP last shutdown has finally made an impact on little Paulie. Paul Ryan trying to sound like he cares about government shutdown is somewhat awkward, IMO

December 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm

The reporters sounded disappointed that there will probably be no debt ceiling/gov’t shutdown drama in January – as they had hoped.

December 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I could barely hear them, and I was mostly ‘intrigued’ by Ryan who seemed to be trying hard to project a politician with purpose. I’ve never met a snake oil salesman yet I felt like I was looking at one. I know I’m predisposed to be skeptical re GOPs ….. so, apart from the fact it’s good to see work being done, did Ryan seem majorly artificial to anyone else?

December 10, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I agree with you about Ryan, but I don’t think Patty Murray is anyone’s fool – despite her seemingly “kind” words about Ryan. And trust me, PBO, and Pelosi were probably overseeing all of this behind the scenes.

December 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oh, I’m not worried re content. I infinitely preferred Murray’s style over Ryan’s and thought he was trying too hard when he answered a question she had already answered in a way I thought was a bit condescending. In fact it struck me that he was trying hard to portray himself as ‘in control’ or as the ‘male’, while her quiet and commanding responses showed far more self-confidence and understanding of her role. As I said before, I *am* predisposed to be unimpressed by Ryan.

December 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm
  43. December 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hope this isn’t a duplicate. . .
    Mandela understood the ties that bind the human spirit. There is a word in South Africa- Ubuntu – that describes his greatest gift: his recognition that we are all bound together in ways that can be invisible to the eye; that there is a oneness to humanity; that we achieve ourselves by sharing ourselves with others, and caring for those around us. . .
    I believe that President Obama wants to free people of color in this country from the oppression of racism. But he knows that will only happen when we can free white people from their hate. We’re in the midst of that struggle right now. And as Madiba said “It always seems impossible until its done.”

44. 127 globalcitizenlinda
    December 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm

okay, I am going to continue focusing on the content of PBO’s speech eulogizing Pres. Mandela – other things are really, really, really irritating me