Dec

Donna and *that* call

Two years ago tomorrow …..

Donna Dem:

So today I decided to take a half day off from work to finish my Christmas shopping. My cousin who is a shopaholic told me about a newer Mall near Baltimore that had a specialty store that I needed to make a purchase from.

So I leave work and swing by and pick her up and we head out to the Mall. Otherwise I would have been in the comfortable setting of my office when my phone rang at 5:04 EST.

I almost didn’t answer because I wasn’t familiar with the number but thought it was one of my sons calling from work since it was a DC exchange.

Now I was at the cash register when my phone rang and I answered it intending to tell whichever son this was that I would call them right back because I was at the checkout in the Mall. So I answer and a male voice asks if this is Donna S…….. and I respond hesitantly yes. He immediately says the most magical words that I have heard in my life. He says…..

“Hold for President Obama” and within a second I hear. “Hello Donna! Congratulations, you were the winner of the grassroots fundraising challenge!”

Now I drop the bags I had in my hand and said “OMG, it’s President Obama”. My cousin looks at me as if I have lost my mind and the cashier’s face is scrunched up looking at me as if to say, ‘what happened?’ I whisper to my cousin that it’s the real President Obama on my phone. The cashier goes crazy and all the cashiers rush over and my cousin is telling me that it can’t be. So I asked him to tell her it’s really him. Once she hears his voice she drops her bags and screams “OMG, IT’S THE PRESIDENT!” I’m laughing hysterically at this point. Y’all had to be there to see that scene in that store.

I get the phone back from my cousin and he says, “now you tell Jackie (my cousin) she can’t be hijacking your phone call”. He said, “you know Donna, I get this all the time. People never believe it’s me calling. I just don’t understand it.”

His sense of humor is off the chart. :)

He thanks me for winning the grassroots challenge. He says he is grateful for all the work being done on his behalf. I thank him. I tell him how much I admire and appreciate all that he is doing for our country and that there are so many of us who “have his back”.

Then I told him about The Obama Diary, the wonderful space created to support him on a daily basis. I asked him to stop by someday. He said to tell you all that he is grateful for the support and that he loves you back and then he wished us all a Merry Christmas. I in turn wished him and his Family a Merry Christmas from both the OFA and TOD bloggers and then he was gone.

It was a magnificent Christmas present.

Thank you TOD for helping to make this possible!!!

We needed a smile today, this memory did the job …. greatest/funniest TOD night ever, waiting for Donna’s report!

157 Responses to “Donna and *that* call”

1. 1 Allison
    December 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Hello All..

• December 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

*cough*snort*sniffle*

Chips!!

• December 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Are you feeling sorry for Arsenal LL, or have you a cold?

• December 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Delighted at Arsenal’s downfall, and yes, I’ve come down with another cold.

• December 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Yikes, you get waaaaay too many of the blighters LL. Do you take Vitamin C every day? I’m seriously tempting fate now, but since I started taking it regularly, I’ve had about one cold in the last 6/7 years.

And with that ….

• December 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I really need to start taking a multivitamin every day. And I haven’t had colds this close together in years. Quite annoying.

• December 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

They’re just so draining, horrible things.

• 13 Churchlady320
                  December 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm

One thing that helped me was purging my diet of things that first gave me bloat then, as it turned out, apparently made me more susceptible to colds, coughs, etc. I’d never have believed it if told, but I’ve not had a cold in three years since doing that. For me it is wheat, eggs, dairy that had to go. Also lost a lot of weight without actually dieting. I KNOW it sounds la-la, but for me it’s a major triumph. Might want to do an elimination diet to see if there is something contributing to your ‘serial colds’.

• 14 carolyn
                    December 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm

One thing causing sequential colds is probably the fact that you read to children! Every teacher can tell you when they first start teaching, the colds seem to crowd in on each other. It takes a while to build immunity to all their little germs! However, it will happen. Kids love you and they breathe on you. They’re contagious before they show any symptoms.

Been there, experienced it!!!

2. 16 Allison
    December 14, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Congrats Donna! Thanks Chips for the memories!!

December 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I remember that call! :lol:

4. 27 yardarm756
    December 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm

5. 28 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Has it really been two years already? Time flies on TOD!

6. December 14, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Congrats on 1st, Allison.

Thank you for the ‘we needed a smile today,’ Chips!!!

I had just posted this on the bottom of the previous thread in hopes that it would lift everyone’s spirits a bit. What you will see are more than 200,000 Ukrainians singing their National Anthem (happened just an hour or so ago) at the #Maidan. (btw, the ‘anti-maidan’ demonstration that Yanukovych paid folk to attend – well, they came, took their money and food and left :) ).

#FORWARD Together

Yes We Can

7. 34 itgurl_29
    December 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Chips, I know Mariah Carey is in that Billy Joel category for you, but she’s an Obot and I had to post this video of her speaking a little bit about her kids meeting the President and First Lady:

starts @2:25

December 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I remember the night PBO called Donna Dem. Oh my how exciting that was! That’s right Mr. President, carry on with that phone call…as Donna said, we have your back Sir!! Never mind the media – they just want your attention.

9. December 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hahahaaha. I remember this. :D

10. 41 collegekay
    December 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I just got a notification from WordPress about my 3rd anniversary with them =O
    Wow. I’ve been on TOD for 3 years. Time flies.

11. 45 HZ
    December 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Oh, I remember that wonderful night for Donna Dem. We were all waiting to hear all of the talk. What a beautiful time for our TOD family.

You know Chips, have I told you how much we all love you, respect, and trust you? Well, I am so blessed to say that we love you so much. As one of the seniors of our TOD family, Donna Dem and all of you have given my life a space that is so lovely because of what Chips has created here for all of us to participate in such a loving and respectful manner.

Donna Dem, you made my heart move with total love, respect and honor to know that you received that call and then shared with us all of your joy. Thank you for all that you continue to do to make our time on this journey to be such an honor and a complete joy. Memories, oh we have so many wonderful ones in our TOD family. TY, TY and TY all. ((((((((Lovingly)))))))HZ

12. 48 a4alice
    December 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

that was so much fun! and yes we were “pacing” (as Chips says) waiting and waiting and then all the sudden! I remember doing a little screamy dancy hand shaky thing when I saw Donna got her call and I think I read the account twice and just hooted – it was so great and so funny. Great memory. Thanks Chips!

I can’t believe it was two years ago already! Huh – time flies!

December 14, 2013 at 5:29 pm

14. December 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm

So nice to see a hilarious/surprising/heartwarming story on this mournful day.

Haven’t seen much online today (except for Chips’ tweets about the shameful NRA and RWNJs).

Because of my Twitter/Google problems (unreadable format, can’t view photos) even after reloading Chrome, I decided to reinstall Windows OS.

Now I think I infected my computer with a virus when I downloaded Google Chrome after the Windows reinstall — annoying “conduit” search engine hijacker. Not able to reinstall Windows OS from my CD now, even though I could thiis morning… still working through the issues.

Long story short, back to Internet Explorer for me, since Chrome is now useless.

Here’s my small tribute to #SandyHook, #Newtown. Baby Boomers will appreciate.

December 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm

16. 63 a4alice
    December 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I’m glad to see that OFA is doing this today

December 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

9612019024804375566105

Obama’s fault!

December 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm

A perfect post for a day such as this, Chiparoo.

I remember that day and waiting for the update from Donna. I had to run errands, was putting it off, finally completed them, came back and Donna still hadn’t told the story yet. We were all like nervous parents watching our kid ride a bicycle for the first time down the street.

When she finally gathered her thoughts, it was well worth the wait. :D

p.s. Man City 6 – 3 Arsenal. That’s what every child in the world is hoping Aston Villa does to Man United tomorrow.

p.p.s. Chelsea won their game. Gooooooo Chelsea! GOOOOOOO BLUES!

19. 74 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Good Evening TODable TODers ;)

Call Me by the group, SKYY LINE is all I can think of once I was reminded of this FANTASTIC Donna Call Event with The POTUS ;)

Congratulations again, Donna.

20. 75 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Sorry to insert sad news on a happy thread but I thought this deserved attention. Here is the lovely girl who was the innocent shooting victim of the Co. school shooting yesterday, remains in critical condition, said to be suffering head trauma. 18 yr. old student shooter bought the gun legally Dec. 6 at a local retail outlet, seemingly for the purpose of hunting down and shooting his debate team faculty adviser who had disciplined him, not removed him from the team as previously reported. Too many perceived and petty grievances now settled with gun violence. Tragic and pathetic.

• December 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Dotster. She’s older than what they first said. She is so beautiful. I hope there is no lasting physical damage. The shooter was from a well-liked family in his neighborhood. His family was out of town with a very sick relative. It was a nice, well kept neighbor hood. It looked like his family lived in a condominium, one of many in the area. She was driven to the hospital very soon after she was shot so hopefully she will be okay. Denver has some of the best hospitals. The surgeons could have been to the hospital so she wouldn’t have to be moved. Unfortunately Denver area schools train for this on a very regular basis now. The kids and faculty knew exactly what to do. Refreshing to hear good local reporting for a change, not the drivel of MSN.

• 77 99ts
      December 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Sad that the media, the NRA, politicians and some parents are teaching their children that aggression and violence are the solution – when of course, they are the problem. Nelson Mandela lived to teach reconciliation and love – and the media sees his memory as a handshake and a selfie – it is the media who should be sued by those who suffer from gun violence – when did the first amendment allow anyone to preach so much hate, aggression and violence.

21. December 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thanks so much for reposting this great conversation Chips. This almost one year old is very Happy to read about it now. Gong rats to Donna for working so hard to get the honor.
    Congrats Allison on being First!
    It’s been nice to see the Christmas Cheer on the Header. 🎄

22. 81 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I missed The Snow when briefly displayed. My loss.

The Xmas Decorations are back, YES :!:

23. 82 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm

The 1st Couple paid a one year remembrance of the Newtown massacre. I thank them for their service.

24. 83 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:11 pm

So Jodi Kantor and Megyn Kelly got their dues? They thought that their voices were the ONLY ones until they got to hear from Millions who said N O, No.

December 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Jodi Kantor just wanted some attention. Maybe she is not getting enough at home. You know with her family that is not normal.

25. 85 a4alice
    December 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm

yikes I gotta get ready for work BBL! :D

December 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Here’s some beauty:

27. 89 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

xmas gifty ideas for your pets. Suggest beer bottle squeaky toy —indestructible?—-for Danny—–or the Humunga Lips fetch ball—–hilarious! Mr. dotster still teases me about the stylish knee high boots I bought for our little Yorkie because I felt sorry for him walking on the salted winter roads. He immediately shook them off. He hated them.

• December 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm

“Mr. dotster still teases me about the stylish knee high boots I bought for our little Yorkie because I felt sorry for him walking on the salted winter roads”

Dotster, noooooooo!!! :lol:

Off to that link RIGHT now!

• December 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

They are flippin’ HILARIOUS!!! Do you think I could get the Cat DJ Scratching Deck for Danny??? :lol:

December 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Go, Navy!

You beat Army, 34-7!

December 14, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Books! Books! And more books! http://apps.npr.org/best-books-2013/

Like many of you, I remember THAT CALL to Donna and the sheer anxiety that all of us here at TOD just waiting to hear what he said! :) I must be getting old, because it seems like yesterday to me. I can still feel that excitement and the same joy that I initially felt for her, all over again. What a wonderful memory she/we get to keep.

30. 94 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

So Mitch McConnell’s great DELAY tactics lost it’s power on Thursday night. Senate Republicans made the Dems keep the Senate Open….in session and by 11:00PM, TBGOPers stopped showing up to take the floor. Sen Booker at 3:00 AM EDT took to Tweeting to keep self busy while as a Jr senator on duty as the presiding senate president? That is :lol: :roll: :lol: wild.

So now the senate returns on Tuesday? That is so freaking Funny.

• December 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hi Nena,

Actually, the Senate will be in session tomorrow and Monday. Here’s the current schedule:

Dec 15, ’13 9:00 AM
      Categories Daily Summary

The Senate will convene at 1:00pm on Sunday, December 15, 2013. The Senate will meet for legislative business only. Majority Leader Reid is expected to file cloture on the House message to accompany H.J.Res.59, the bipartisan budget agreement and the House message to accompany H.R.3304, the Defense Authorization bill. There will be no roll call votes on Sunday.

The next roll call votes will be at 5:30pm on Monday, December 16th:

– Confirmation of the Patterson nomination

– Motion to invoke cloture on the Johnson nomination

– Confirmation of the Johnson nomination

– Additional procedural votes are possible. Senator Reid is expected to file additional cloture motions on several nominations.

31. 98 forus50
    December 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I totally remember that! Donna’s description of the call was priceless!!

December 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Surely someone here can help out with this:)

“To commemorate its 100th anniversary, the U.S. Department of Labor has launched Books that Shaped Work in America, an online project that explores work, workers and workplaces through literature, and aims to educates the public about the history, mission and resources of their Labor Department. People from all walks of life are being asked to recommend books that informed them about occupations and careers, and molded their views about work.”

December 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

So, you are traveling via airport for the holidays? Well, for goodness sakes, take your time on the escalator and hold on to the rails.

December 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

35. 105 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm

22,800,923

Per Wikipedia On BJ’s Politics:

Although Joel has donated money to Democratic candidates running for office,[65] he has never publicly affiliated himself with the Democratic Party. Although he isn’t known for publicly endorsing political candidates, he did play a benefit with Bruce Springsteen to raise money for Barack Obama’s presidential campaign in 2008.[66] He has also played at benefit concerts that have helped raise funds for political causes. However, Joel has said about musicians endorsing political candidates, “People who pay for your tickets, I don’t think they want to hear who you’re going to vote for and how you think they should vote.”[67]

/////

I am currently playing BJ’s Greatest Hits Album 1 & 2

• 106 99ts
      December 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Well known political leanings of entertainers can hurt at the box office – I have turned of a couple of TV shows forever – that I really liked – when I discovered the real people behind the shows. Better that people turn off because they don’t like the show/artist/singer than because of political views. It semms BJ well understands that.

December 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

ICYMI:

37. 109 Bill R.
    December 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Lovely Christmas story, phone call from the President. Memory for a lifetime.

38. December 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I may never get to use my laptop again, Danny’s discovered Too Cute Puppies:

December 14, 2013 at 7:08 pm

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” — Nelson Mandela

40. 137 PamfromCalif
    December 14, 2013 at 7:13 pm

This is a very cute video of a little girl using American Sign Language for her deaf parents at a Holiday Concert.

41. December 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I remember that Donna Dem phone call…thanks for the memory, Chips.

42. 142 Nena20409
    December 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm

So That Aussie, Hugh Jackman, is the Host of the TNT WH’s to be televised Christmas event next week? Surfing and saw him just now on TeaNN. The guy is just Handsome. The TeaNN’s presenter female was fumbling her words……that was funny.

43. 144 mtmarilyn
    December 14, 2013 at 7:44 pm

What a wonderful memory. I remember that night and all the days leading up to it. Those of us donating $1 or $2 dollars a day to get the the number of donations. It was fun to see one of our own win and then when she got the call it was so special. We are so blessed in this community. And to be alive to appreciate this President and his family.

Today has been a very special day. I was at a Christmas party this morning and we had our moment of silence at the same time they had it here in town. We were alittle later that the east coast. Now I am finishing decorating. Love the lights.

44. 145 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

• 146 carolyn
      December 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Kadir Nelson is an incredible artist!

• 147 Nena20409
      December 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

The young artist is 1001% correct. That is how most people see and would continue to see Madiba.

Gandhi was killed. Yes, he saw India earn her independence. MLK saw Civil Rights Laws passed. Neither lived long enough to see the total fruition of their hard work.

But Madiba lived after the struggle and saw his beloved SAfrica under a democratic rule for nearly 20 yrs.

45. December 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I’ll post this tweet which will surely guarantee the appearance of a new thread in 3 2 1 …. :)

46. 154 isonprize
    December 14, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Wow. I can’t believe that was TWO YEARS AGO!!! I remembered it when we found that Donna had won the challenge. THEN when she reported the phone call! WOWOWOW, I felt like President Obama called ME personally, especially since that would have been something that I would have done.

DonnaDem, I’m glad that you weren’t driving or in a movie theatre. I’m also glad that you were around people, because if it was me, I might have fainted.

47. December 14, 2013 at 7:59 pm